PDA

View Full Version : Steelers discuss contract renegotiation with James Harrison

Hawaii 5-0
03-05-2013, 05:11 PM
Steelers discuss contract renegotiation with Harrison

March 5, 2013
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have have been discussing the contract situation of James Harrison with his agent, Bill Parise, to try to reduce the linebacker's salary cap hit for 2013.

Harrison, who will be 35 in two months, is scheduled to make salaries of $6.57 million this season and $7.575 million in 2014 in the final two years of his contract.

Parise did not say if those discussions include a request by the Steelers for a reduction in salary or a restructured contract that could spread out the salary cap hit this year with an extension that neither side would expect to be fulfilled.

"We're talking," Parise said. "Both sides want to try to do something. We're trying to find common ground."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-discuss-contract-renegotiation-with-harrison-677997/#ixzz2MhqdaLVJ

SteelersCanada
03-05-2013, 05:36 PM
We can't bring him back. He was a good bandaid option for a year while we're finding the right guy to play opposite Woodley, but he's not the answer anymore. He's 35 years old and not willing to take a pay cut. That equals the road out of town, James.

harrison'samonster
03-05-2013, 05:38 PM
ooohhhh it might work. Just one more year, please make it happen!

tony hipchest
03-05-2013, 05:40 PM
while it IS a cut throat business, the rooneys are a bit more of a family run organization. i still think james will be back with loyalty to service and opportunity being shown by both parties.

teegre
03-05-2013, 05:50 PM
while it IS a cut throat business, the rooneys are a bit more of a family run organization. i still think james will be back with loyalty to service and opportunity being shown by both parties.

And, that loyalty by the owners is why some guys will kill for this team.

Ike Taylor would give his kidney to Dan Rooney... because, he knows that Dan Rooney would give his kidney to Ike Taylor.

Steel95
03-05-2013, 06:15 PM
Bring him back only if he takes a paycut; if the Steelers can resign him, I think they will look at picking up a Safety or WR in the draft. If they go Safety, for sure they will try and move down. I think if Keenan Allan is there at #17, they pull the trigger.

Steelers5895
03-05-2013, 07:21 PM
time to get younger and say goodbye.

pczach
03-05-2013, 07:27 PM
And, that loyalty by the owners is why some guys will kill for this team.

Ike Taylor would give his kidney to Dan Rooney... because, he knows that Dan Rooney would give his kidney to Ike Taylor.

I thought selling internal organs on the black market was illegal? Oh wait. You said "give".

teegre
03-05-2013, 08:22 PM
I thought selling internal organs on the black market was illegal? Oh wait. You said "give".

What happens in an ice-filled Las Vegas bathtub, stays in an ice-filled Las Vegas bathtub. :wink02:

Hawaii 5-0
03-05-2013, 09:03 PM
Harrison’s agent, Steelers looking for “common ground”

Posted by Darin Gantt on March 5, 2013

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/350x-14.jpg?w=250

The agent for Steelers linebacker James Harrison said early on in the process he didn’t think he should have to take a pay cut.

But agent Bill Parise said Tuesday he’s talking to the Steelers, to see if there’s a way to carve into Harrison’s cap charge.

Parise told Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette the two sides were working to find a resolution.

“We’re talking,” Parise said. “Both sides want to try to do something. We’re trying to [find] common ground.”

The soon-to-be 35-year-old linebacker is scheduled to make $6.57 million this year and $7.575 million next year. Parise did not say whether the Steelers offered a pay cut.

It would be easy enough to drop the cap charge if Harrison hadn’t dug in heels on a pay cut, but it might be tricky to balance the need for short-term room with the long-term interest of the team.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/05/harrisons-agent-steelers-looking-for-common-ground/

SteelersCanada
03-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Let me ask the guys who want Harrison back a question - say we do get Jarvis Jones at 17, who do you start? Do you play the 35 year old or Jarvis?

harrison'samonster
03-05-2013, 09:16 PM
Let me ask the guys who want Harrison back a question - say we do get Jarvis Jones at 17, who do you start? Do you play the 35 year old or Jarvis?

I say if Harrison's on the team he plays until somebody takes the spot from him

SteelersCanada
03-05-2013, 09:17 PM
I say if Harrison's on the team he plays until somebody takes the spot from him

Give Jarvis snaps and it'll be done in week 1.

harrison'samonster
03-05-2013, 09:18 PM
Give Jarvis snaps and it'll be done in week 1.

it's that easy is it?

SteelersCanada
03-05-2013, 09:21 PM
it's that easy is it?

In all honesty? It probably would be. He's not taking over for Aldon Smith - he's taking over a guy that's well past his prime and can't play consistently anymore. It's not his fault, but eventually age catches up to you and it's amazing he was as effective as he was for as long as he was (Jesus that was hard to type).

That, and this Jones kid is ridiculous.

Fire Haley
03-05-2013, 09:24 PM
I say sign him. Harrison is a freak of nature.

Worilds and Carter aren't even in the same league. We have nobody to replace him and LeBeau isn't likely to let a rookie start.

SteelersCanada
03-05-2013, 09:29 PM
We have nobody to replace him and LeBeau isn't likely to let a rookie start.

This is easily the dumbest ideology in football.

Fire Haley
03-05-2013, 09:39 PM

who you gonna replace Harrison with?

Woodley is not a pass rusher, even if they moved him to the ROLB it would weaken the other side.

Without both of them teams just run to the other side.

If the OLB's aren’t getting pressure on the quarterback again we will likely be looking at a repeat of the 2012 season.

cowherpower
03-05-2013, 09:41 PM
We can't bring him back. He was a good bandaid option for a year while we're finding the right guy to play opposite Woodley, but he's not the answer anymore. He's 35 years old and not willing to take a pay cut. That equals the road out of town, James.

While I agree that he is getting older and his best days are behind him, he is hardly a band aid. He is a legit beast. Woodley wishes he could be as good as him. If he goes, that sucks and I hope they plan on drafting his replacement, because I don't think we have it on the roster right now. His age is misleading as he doesn't have the wear and tear some other players have because he didn't play until later in his career. It'd be great if he could play another year or two, even if as a situational pass rusher, provided someone can actually beat him out for PT and he takes less. But doubtful. It may be time to move on as others have said.

harrison'samonster
03-05-2013, 09:43 PM

Woodley is not a pass rusher, even if they moved him to the ROLB it would weaken the other side.

If the OLB's aren’t getting pressure on the quarterback again we will likely be looking at a repeat of the 2012 season.

I agree, if Harrison's on this team no rookie is going to come in and take over that spot. there's so much more to it than rushing the passer.

Also, if the pass-rush doesn't improve, neither will this defense. I have hope though that the offense will improve so I can't say it would be an exact repeat of '12.

DanRooney
03-05-2013, 09:47 PM

Correction: the weakened side would be any side Woodley is moved to. :wink02:

SteelersCanada
03-05-2013, 09:50 PM

When Woodley is in shape, he's a great pass rusher. He just needs to get in shape.

I replace him with one of the very many talented and explosive pass rushers in this draft. I'm not buying Dick's excuse of 'well, our scheme is too complicated for rookies' anymore - it's horseshit. A pass rusher is going to fall to us at 17, it's just a matter of who. Mingo, Jones, Ansah, Jordan - all of these guys are more explosive than Harrison is and they're all built to play ROLB.

One of them will drop and when he does, he's going to have to earn his playing time which is something I'm all for. I'm worried about whether or not him earning it becomes irrelevant because they don't want to pay Harrison 10+ million to sit on the bench.

He's not willing to take a pay cut and instead of releasing him now and cutting our losses, we're going to push more money into the future and have future cap situations look like the one we're in now. Why don't we let the 21 / 22 year old come in and get his trial by fire?

Fire Haley
03-05-2013, 10:06 PM
When Woodley is in shape, he's a great pass rusher. He just needs to get in shape.

well yeah, I meant the plump variety, not the young hungry Woodley

TheVet
03-05-2013, 10:10 PM
Steelers discuss contract renegotiation with Harrison

March 5, 2013

The Steelers have have been discussing the contract situation of James Harrison with his agent, Bill Parise, to try to reduce the linebacker's salary cap hit for 2013.

Harrison, who will be 35 in two months, is scheduled to make salaries of $6.57 million this season and $7.575 million in 2014 in the final two years of his contract.

Parise did not say if those discussions include a request by the Steelers for a reduction in salary or a restructured contract that could spread out the salary cap hit this year with an extension that neither side would expect to be fulfilled.

"We're talking," Parise said. "Both sides want to try to do something. We're trying to find common ground."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-discuss-contract-renegotiation-with-harrison-677997/#ixzz2MhqdaLVJ
If harrison'samonster gives Thanks to the OP, how can I do anything less?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawaii 5-0 For This Useful Post:: harrison'samonster (Today), TheVet (Today)

Man I hope the Steelers can make it work with James. He is AWESOME.
:tt03:

Until I see Harrison's play decline without an injury, I'm sticking with my man. Of course, I'm not paying the bills. :)

SteelersCanada
03-05-2013, 10:16 PM
well yeah, I meant the plump variety, not the young hungry Woodley

If there's one thing we can all agree on it's we need Woodley back. That alone would push our pass rush to another level again.

tony hipchest
03-05-2013, 10:25 PM
the full "report" from bill parise (who spoke to the reporter earlier today)was that both sides are making progress and that james is sympathetic to the salary cap situation and really wants to retire as a steeler..

saying james wont take a "paycut" is pure agent speak and it looks like that stance is softening.

also james is working out hard in AZ, completely healed and as healthy as he has ever been (which means no lingering knee or back issues to go in the season with).

BTW james broken orbital bone had absolutely nothing to do with age as much as it did with him having his freaking skull crushed.

Hawaii 5-0
03-06-2013, 12:51 AM
Steelers, Harrison talking contract restructuring

By Alan Robinson
Published: Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Steelers want five-time Pro Bowl linebacker James Harrison to return in 2013 and are attempting to restructure his contract to reduce his $10,035,00 salary cap hit.

Harrison's agent, Bill Parise, wouldn't say Tuesday whether the Steelers want Harrison to take a pay cut.

“I really don't want to talk about negotiations in the media. I don't think that helps anybody,” Parise said. “But I can tell you that we're all getting along. We're doing fine. We're working.”

There has been speculation the Steelers might cut Harrison — who will be 35 in May — after a shortened 2012 season in which a left knee injury limited his effectiveness until November.

“The Steelers have made it clear to me they want James to stay, and James and I have made it very clear that he wants to be a Steeler,” Parise said. “So we're working to try to make that happen.”

The Steelers could reduce the cap hit by adding an extra year onto Harrison's contract, which runs through 2014, and shifting some of his salary into a prorated signing bonus.

Harrison is due to make $6.57 million in 2013 and $7,575,000 in 2014, with a salary cap hit of $9,040,000 that season.

Parise wouldn't predict when an agreement might be worked out but said, “We are talking. We've been working pretty hard.”

Parise told the Tribune-Review two weeks ago that he expected the Steelers to contact him about a restructuring and that Harrison was willing to help them address their cap issues.

The Steelers recently restructured the contracts of Ben Roethlisberger, Antonio Brown and Lawrence Timmons to help get them under the salary cap in advance of the March 12 deadline.

Despite missing the first three games of the season following left knee surgery in mid-August, Harrison had six sacks and graded 10th among outside linebackers in Pro Football Focus' player analysis.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3604003-74/harrison-steelers-cap#ixzz2MjiVwdWF

steeltheone
03-06-2013, 12:59 AM
the full "report" from bill parise (who spoke to the reporter earlier today)was that both sides are making progress and that james is sympathetic to the salary cap situation and really wants to retire as a steeler..

saying james wont take a "paycut" is pure agent speak and it looks like that stance is softening.

also james is working out hard in AZ, completely healed and as healthy as he has ever been (which means no lingering knee or back issues to go in the season with).

BTW james broken orbital bone had absolutely nothing to do with age as much as it did with him having his freaking skull crushed.

Back problems rarely heal on older players. You can bet it will be an issue at some point this season. Hope he comes back at half the wage.

wootawnee
03-06-2013, 03:13 AM
Debo's gonna come into camp and destroy whatever and whoever they put in front of him.... Including any dang rookie in the draft...... I pity the rookies this year...... Debo's hungry and in shape......

WVABE
03-06-2013, 05:02 AM
Back problems rarely heal on older players. You can bet it will be an issue at some point this season. Hope he comes back at half the wage.Yup, but until then I say let him rack up a hundred thousand in fines.:tt02:

VaDave
03-06-2013, 05:59 AM

It's the obligatory one year waiting period...... just like health insurance....

VaDave
03-06-2013, 06:04 AM
Anyway you slice it, Harrison is going to have to play about $3million dollars lighter to stay. I'm fairly sure in the open market a team with cap space would take him in a heartbeat at a good deal more. As cranky as he is about his money, I find it hard for me to believe he'd agree to a what amounts to a 50% paycut.

wwhickok
03-06-2013, 06:34 AM
I think Colon will be the only significqnt cut this season. I think Harrison, Keisel, Clark, and possibly Polamalu will be cut casualties next offseason.

VaDave
03-06-2013, 08:09 AM
W

I don't see us paying $6 mil for Harrison for 2013... I wish we would or could pay Harrison $6 million to keep him for sure. I'm afraid it's just not in the cards..... JMO..

Steeldude
03-06-2013, 08:24 AM
W

I don't see us paying $6 mil for Harrison for 2013... I wish we would or could pay Harrison $6 million to keep him for sure. I'm afraid it's just not in the cards..... JMO..

The problem is there is no other OLB on the roster who even comes close to an injured and/or old Harrison. If he is let go who is going to provide the pressure and make the plays at OLB.

VaDave
03-06-2013, 08:33 AM
How about our $61 million dollar man, Chubby Checker?

Seriously, I get your point SD, but where are you going to get the money? Ideas?

steelfury02
03-06-2013, 08:54 AM
How about our $61 million dollar man, Chubby Checker?

Seriously, I get your point SD, but where are you going to get the money? Ideas?

Don't get things started on Woodley again please - its just too easy :chuckle:

VaDave
03-06-2013, 09:22 AM
Oh, I really thought that WAS Chubby Checker out there.......

67 calsteel
03-06-2013, 09:49 AM
Harrison can talk all he wants about not taking a paycut but he is looking at playing at less money no matter what.He has two choices 1) free agency 2)paycut

The steelers need to play hard ball with him.Offer a paycut to 6million salary cap number to stay or take less to play elsewhere.

They should do the same with Colon.3 million paycut.He will not get more than 2 million 1yr deal in free agency.Again Stay or leave and get less

Other moves.
Health-With his injury and possible missing the first 6 games a paycut of 2 million would be fair.

1 year contracts extension of Clark and Keisel.
Convert 2 million(clark) to signing bonus.2014 base 2 million plus 1 million from signing bonus
Keisel (3 millions)to signing bonus.2014 1 million base plus 1.5 signing bonus.

If could do the above it would clear about 11.5 million.Just releasing colon and harrison would clear 6.3 million.

austinfrench76
03-06-2013, 11:31 AM
I will also say that if they do not bring him back that leadership void gets even bigger. I know that he is not a vocal leader but alot of guys talked about it last year that when he came back from the injury and was getting back to full speed and they had him on the field they just felt better! That cofidence in him means alot so I hope this works out but not at that cap hit. A deal needs to be done!

VaDave
03-06-2013, 01:53 PM
Harrison can talk all he wants about not taking a paycut but he is looking at playing at less money no matter what.He has two choices 1) free agency 2)paycut

The steelers need to play hard ball with him.Offer a paycut to 6million salary cap number to stay or take less to play elsewhere.

They should do the same with Colon.3 million paycut.He will not get more than 2 million 1yr deal in free agency.Again Stay or leave and get less

Other moves.
Health-With his injury and possible missing the first 6 games a paycut of 2 million would be fair.

1 year contracts extension of Clark and Keisel.
Convert 2 million(clark) to signing bonus.2014 base 2 million plus 1 million from signing bonus
Keisel (3 millions)to signing bonus.2014 1 million base plus 1.5 signing bonus.

If could do the above it would clear about 11.5 million.Just releasing colon and harrison would clear 6.3 million.

Colon needs to be a cut, but after June first, then brought back at the league minimum, ONLY IF we don't have anybody else. I'm going to be real nervous going into a season with Cheadle on the depth chart.

FrancoLambert
03-06-2013, 04:48 PM
I hope we can keep him for one more year at a very reasonable salary.

He can still make plays and it buys us some time.

Now is not the time to overpay Harrison.

steeltheone
03-06-2013, 07:13 PM
I think Colon will be the only significqnt cut this season. I think Harrison, Keisel, Clark, and possibly Polamalu will be cut casualties next offseason.

Keeping Keisel at his salary is another gift. He in no way performs up to what he makes.

wwhickok
03-07-2013, 06:53 AM
Keeping Keisel at his salary is another gift. He in no way performs up to what he makes.

Perhaps but I just feel like thats what theyre going to do. In reality its hard to predict. Inky a few more days until we find out what happens with Lewis.

VaDave
03-07-2013, 06:58 AM
Yep 'er. FA is going to be a real treat this year for sure. We're gonna lose some, but we'll also get some bargains in the process as well. I'm fairly certain nobody has enough cap space to buy a championship, even though there is some formidable talent on the market.

lloydwoodson
03-07-2013, 08:34 AM
What happens in an ice-filled Las Vegas bathtub, stays in an ice-filled Las Vegas bathtub. :wink02:

*Until it ends up in the torso of a businessman from Singapore.

Harrison had 6 sacks in his last 7 games. He has lots left in the tank and got progressively better as the year went on. Harrison will start next year regardless of the draft pick.

VaDave
03-07-2013, 09:00 AM
No doubt Debo can still play, and play better than any LB we have, or likely to sign, but his contract in it's current state just isn't going to work.

tanda10506
03-07-2013, 11:17 AM
I agree. I don't know why so many have doubt about him. Yes he's had some injuries and missed some games, but he was heating up at the end of the season. He wasn't even able to practice half of the season. Besides, who's going to replace him, Worilds? Worilds might be younger, but he's ineligible more often then Harrison, and he is a long way from being as good as Harrison is even right now. I like Worilds and i think he's done well when healthy and given the chance to start, but nothing spectacular, and with our style of defense we need "spectacular" from our OLB's.

Bane
03-07-2013, 12:43 PM
I really want them to draft Clowney next year as Harrison's successor.

kan_t
03-07-2013, 12:49 PM
No doubt he can still play. The problem is at what price.

harrison'samonster
03-07-2013, 12:56 PM
No doubt he can still play. The problem is at what price.

yeah it seems kind of odd that they would have given him such a big contract for so many years at what was it 32? As for Clowney, can we wait till next year to look for Harrison's replacement?

kan_t
03-07-2013, 01:00 PM
yeah it seems kind of odd that they would have given him such a big contract for so many years at what was it 32? As for Clowney, can we wait till next year to look for Harrison's replacement?

If the Steelers can get Clowney, sure. But they aren't. If they want to replace Harrison in 2014, this year is the time to draft one. Not many OLB rookie can start immediately under the Steelers defense.

SteelersCanada
03-07-2013, 01:23 PM

If the Steelers get Clowney I'm going to openly weep tears of joy for days on end.

Hawaii 5-0
03-07-2013, 01:26 PM
If the Steelers get Clowney I'm going to openly weep tears of joy for days on end.

if the Steelers get Clowney I'm going to be openly weeping tears of sadness all season long because we will be the worst team in the NFL and have the #1 pick in next year's draft.

SteelersCanada
03-07-2013, 01:29 PM
if the Steelers get Clowney I'm going to be openly weeping tears of sadness all season long because we will be the worst team in the NFL and have the #1 pick in next year's draft.

Worth it. If our entire starting line up tears their ACL in week one, it'd still be worth it. I'd go through a 2 - 14 season if it meant we could reload our defense with Clowney.

edit -- by the way, that mock draft you have - dear Jesus let it happen.

JonM229
03-07-2013, 01:31 PM

Mmmmm, your tears are so yummy and sweet. Oh, the tears of unfathomable sadness.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/09/Scott_Tenorman_tears_South_Park.jpg

Bane
03-07-2013, 06:16 PM

With Troy probably moving on next year, I say they replace him with Clowney. He'll be the next guy that we traded up to get.

Either way, I'll sacrifice a year for Clowney.

It's in the books, Mister Rooney. MAKE IT HAPPEN!

steeltheone
03-07-2013, 06:59 PM

At 32 he was coming off monster seasons with no major physical issues.

James had more tread on his tires compared to other 32 year old players because he didnot play much in his early NFL years.

But age waits for nobody and he has been hit with some major physical issues. Back problems do not go away. It's time to cut ties unless he takes a major pay cut.

harrison'samonster
03-07-2013, 07:01 PM
At 32 he was coming off monster seasons with no major physical issues.

James had more tread on his tires compared to other 32 year old players because he didnot play much in his early NFL years.

But age waits for nobody and he has been hit with some major physical issues. Back problems do not go away. It's time to cut ties unless he takes a major pay cut.

I think he's going to have to take a pay cut, I don't think we can afford him if not.

SteelersCanada
03-07-2013, 07:13 PM
Negotiations between Steelers, Harrison at impasse

Negotiations between the Steelers and the agent for James Harrison continue but neither side has found anything to their liking on a new deal and the chance has increased that the star linebacker could be released soon.

Harrison, the NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 2008 and a five-time Pro Bowler, has two years left on a contract that is scheduled to pay him a $6.57 million salary this season.

Bill Parise, Harrison's agent and a Beaver County resident, declined comment other than to say "We absolutely want to do this, we absolutely want to be in Pittsburgh."

The Steelers want him to take a pay cut, a source familiar with the negotiations said, but the sides cannot agree on just how that would work in a new deal. Harrison also has a salary for 2014 at $7,575,000. His salaries are not guaranteed.

The likely deadline for a decision one way or another on a new contract would be Tuesday because the NFL calendar year begins at 4 p.m. that day and the Steelers must be in salary cap compliance then, when free agency also starts.

Although hampered by August knee surgery that kept him out of the first three games last season, Harrison started at his right outside linebacker spot in the remaining 13 games and played better as the season went on and his knee grew stronger. He finished with six sacks, tying for the team lead.

Harrison, who turns 35 in two months, has led or tied the team in sacks in five of the six years since he replaced Joey Porter in 2007 as their starting right outside linebacker.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/negotions-between-steelers-harrison-at-impasse-678340/#ixzz2MuzlkDGV

-- This might be it for Harrison in Pittsburgh.

harrison'samonster
03-07-2013, 07:19 PM
-- This might be it for Harrison in Pittsburgh.

:thud:

Hawaii 5-0
03-07-2013, 07:41 PM
Report: James Harrison might be released by Steelers

By Marc Sessler
Around the League Writer
Published: March 7, 2013

The Pittsburgh Steelers continue to talk with James Harrison's camp, but with no progress being made on a reworked contract, the linebacker's future is hazier than ever.

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that chances are growing Harrison will be released by the team unless a deal is worked out by Tuesday at 4 p.m. ET, when the league calendar flips. A source familiar with the negotiations told Bouchette that the Steelers are asking Harrison to take a pay cut, leaving the sides stuck on numbers.

"We absolutely want to do this, we absolutely want to be in Pittsburgh," said Harrison's agent, Bill Parise, who declined further comment.

Parise told NFL.com's Ian Rapoport on Tuesday that both sides have worked "incredibly hard" on a new deal, but it was unclear at the time if Harrison, 34, was being asked to chop his $6.57 million for 2013. It's apparent the Steelers have no plans to pay him that amount or the $7.6 million he's due next season.

Steelers coaches still want Harrison in the fold, but there's a gap in expectations here. Few teams do a better job than Pittsburgh of locking down its own talent. If they want Harrison around, they'll get this done, but they aren't a team in the habit of overpaying aging players.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000148436/article/report-james-harrison-pittsburgh-steelers-might-part-ways

Bane
03-07-2013, 07:57 PM
TRADE. Once again, I know his real value probably isn't high, but someone will trade for him, and will probably trade higher than we might expect.

bornaSteelersfan
03-07-2013, 08:09 PM
While a trade might be good for the Steelers, his cap hit is too high for any team that might need him for a SB run. I haven't heard any rumors that anyone is actually interested in an expensive, older, undrafted, constantly injured OLB with anger issues.

Bane
03-07-2013, 08:11 PM
While a trade might be good for the Steelers, his cap hit is too high for any team that might need him for a SB run. I haven't heard any rumors that anyone is actually interested in an expensive, older, undrafted, constantly injured OLB with anger issues.

Truthfully, I don't think any team with an upcoming Super Bowl run will be smart enough to drop some stupidly high value for Harrison. :chuckle:

I say target someone like the Raiders or Titans (who, coincidentally, are reportedly in search of a big-name pass rusher).

bornaSteelersfan
03-07-2013, 08:25 PM
What I really see happening is that Harrison doesn't agree to the deal. The Steelers subsequently cut him. Then after trying the free-agent market and seeing that no one will pay him what he thinks he is owed, he will finally swallow his pride and sign a one-year contract with The steelers for a lot less money.

Bane
03-07-2013, 08:37 PM
I think that would be the optimal course, for this year at least.

Steel Peon
03-07-2013, 10:25 PM
My optimism for the coming season will drop considerably if we lose Harrison......this whole subject pisses me off.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
03-07-2013, 10:36 PM
If you want to see this team go far in the playoffs we hvae to get younger its just a fact it's time for Worilds to show what he's got.

Just like last year we didn't know Keenan was going to be good but look what happen he did a great job and now we might not be able to sign him back. Time to move on.

austinfrench76
03-07-2013, 10:37 PM
I would love to understand Harrison's angle. i mean, does he think he has any leverage? I know the Steelers don't have a Top option to replace him but they do have people and the draft. He's old, plain and simple. If they let Joey Porter walk why wouldn't we let Harrison. I'm a huge Debo guy but I don't know where he thinks his leverage is...Maybe it all works out by next Tuesday???

tony hipchest
03-07-2013, 11:15 PM
My optimism for the coming season will drop considerably if we lose Harrison......this whole subject pisses me off.

:yep: agreed

If you want to see this team go far in the playoffs we hvae to get younger its just a fact it's time for Worilds to show what he's got.

Just like last year we didn't know Keenan was going to be good but look what happen he did a great job and now we might not be able to sign him back. Time to move on. thats exactly what the ravens said last year when they dumped ray lewis, matt birk, and ed reed.

I would love to understand Harrison's angle. i mean, does he think he has any leverage?

he has a signed contract. :hunch:

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
03-08-2013, 12:52 AM
thats exactly what the ravens said last year when they dumped ray lewis, matt birk, and ed reed.

1.Ravens got hot at the right time, 2.The Ravens they have nobody behind Reed, Lewis or Birk so that would be stupid if they dumped them. 3.We have player that's ready to play but there stuck behind old players that hurts this team long term.

Im not going to say Harrison hurts this team cause when he's healthy he's a beast but he's 35 he's not going to be healthy for a whole season, kinda like Troy but again no replacement for Troy as of right now.

But i'll be happy to keep James only if he takes a pay cut but it doesn't look like it's going to happen...

tony hipchest
03-08-2013, 01:12 AM
1.Ravens got hot at the right time, 2.The Ravens they have nobody behind Reed, Lewis or Birk so that would be stupid if they dumped them. 3.We have player that's ready to play but there stuck behind old players that hurts this team long term.

Im not going to say Harrison hurts this team cause when he's healthy he's a beast but he's 35 he's not going to be healthy for a whole season, kinda like Troy but again no replacement for Troy as of right now.

But i'll be happy to keep James only if he takes a pay cut but it doesn't look like it's going to happen...i wont even say they got "hot" but it was more than just luck (and they got damn lucky).

youth is often wasted on the young and age and veteran leadership is underrated.

what happened with ray lewis last season is EXACTLY what happened with jerome bettis in '05. many steelerfans wanted to run his ass out of town even before the end of the '04 season for being old, injured, and overpaid.

of course jerome did take a salary cut and accepted a reduced role.

that waits to be seen with james.

FWIW- i would gladly take old man london fletcher on my team even after his ankle surgery this week.

jim irsay thought peyton manning was old and injury prone. of course if it werent for AP he woulda been the leagues MVP.

if flacco earned $120 mil for riding rayrays coat tails, i would say jerome and james have earned the $$$ they signed for. :noidea:

thats just my opinion. james can easilly demand top dollar from his hometown browns who would probably be more than glad to pay him the full amount just to prevent him from concussing 2-3 of their players a year and hope he knocks ben or a. brown the fuck out.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
03-08-2013, 01:38 AM
i wont even say they got "hot" but it was more than just luck (and they got damn lucky).

youth is often wasted on the young and age and veteran leadership is underrated.

what happened with ray lewis last season is EXACTLY what happened with jerome bettis in '05. many steelerfans wanted to run his ass out of town even before the end of the '04 season for being old, injured, and overpaid.

of course jerome did take a salary cut and accepted a reduced role.

that waits to be seen with james.

FWIW- i would gladly take old man london fletcher on my team even after his ankle surgery this week.

jim irsay thought peyton manning was old and injury prone. of course if it werent for AP he woulda been the leagues MVP.

if flacco earned $120 mil for riding rayrays coat tails, i would say jerome and james have earned the $$$ they signed for. :noidea:

thats just my opinion. james can easilly demand top dollar from his hometown browns who would probably be more than glad to pay him the full amount just to prevent him from concussing 2-3 of their players a year and hope he knocks ben or a. brown the fuck out.

I would even pick Fletcher over Foote who wouldn't, & The Colts helped there self's in the long term by cutting Peyton and drafting Luck and they both got beat in the playoffs so its even lol

Lucky does sound better lol but the Ravens giving Flacco $120 mil just shows that everyone in there organization needs a helmet & a red crayon tbh, but it dont bother me cause I'll be laughing when there battling the Clowns for 3rd place in the division for years to come.

But like I said I would love to keep James but it's time for Worilds to get more playing time maybe they will split PT.

Its just that I cant stand seeing our young players go to waste on the bench while they should be out there playing(Worild, Heyward, McLendon) moving on is a good thing and sometimes its a bad thing

VaDave
03-08-2013, 06:28 AM
Maybe it all works out by next Tuesday???

More like out of work on Tuesday......somebody will sign soon him for more than the $3mil or so the Steelers are offering him.

wwhickok
03-08-2013, 06:48 AM
More like out of work on Tuesday......somebody will sign soon him for more than the $3mil or so the Steelers are offering him.

Its unfortunate he is going to be gone, but in the long run i think its for the best.

Fire Haley
03-08-2013, 07:13 AM
$10,035,00 salary cap hit this year? - if he won't do a re-do, he's gone, you know the Steelers won't take that hit

He's 35 y/o and it doesn't get any better - "Harrison is due to make $6.57 million in 2013 and $7,575,000 in 2014, with a salary cap hit of $9,040,000 that season."

Vis
03-08-2013, 01:50 PM
Steelers on verge of releasing LB James Harrison

The Pittsburgh Steelers and linebacker James Harrison continue to have issues coming to an agreement on a pay cut and it seeming increasingly likely Harrison will be released.

The sides have been speaking regularly and talked again on Friday, according to a person informed of the progress of negotiations. The person, who spoke to USA TODAY Sports on condition of anonymity because the talks weren't to be discussed publicly, said there's been no progress in getting Harrison to agree to chop any portion of the $6.57 million base salary he's owed this season.

Harrison, who turns 35 in May, had only six sacks last season, his lowest total since becoming a full-time starter in 2007. It was also the end of his streak of five straight Pro Bowl appearances.

The former undrafted free agent, who has been cut three times by the Steelers and once by the Baltimore Ravens, is signed through 2014. But the Steelers have been trying to shed salary to get comfortably under the salary cap by the start of the new league year.

The Steelers now have only four days before that point, so unless there's major progress made over the weekend, Harrison could be cut by the only team for which he's ever played a game.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/steelers/2013/03/08/pittsburgh-steelers-on-verge-of-releasing-linebacker-james-harrison/1973939/

sloppyjoe
03-08-2013, 02:01 PM
Steelers on verge of releasing LB James Harrison

The Pittsburgh Steelers and linebacker James Harrison continue to have issues coming to an agreement on a pay cut and it seeming increasingly likely Harrison will be released.

The sides have been speaking regularly and talked again on Friday, according to a person informed of the progress of negotiations. The person, who spoke to USA TODAY Sports on condition of anonymity because the talks weren't to be discussed publicly, said there's been no progress in getting Harrison to agree to chop any portion of the $6.57 million base salary he's owed this season.
Harrison, who turns 35 in May, had only six sacks last season, his lowest total since becoming a full-time starter in 2007. It was also the end of his streak of five straight Pro Bowl appearances.

The former undrafted free agent, who has been cut three times by the Steelers and once by the Baltimore Ravens, is signed through 2014. But the Steelers have been trying to shed salary to get comfortably under the salary cap by the start of the new league year.

The Steelers now have only four days before that point, so unless there's major progress made over the weekend, Harrison could be cut by the only team for which he's ever played a game.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/steelers/2013/03/08/pittsburgh-steelers-on-verge-of-releasing-linebacker-james-harrison/1973939/

if true, i thought his agent jujst said yesterday(or day before) that they wanted to stay in pittsburgh and were willing to make it happen..........

steelax04
03-08-2013, 02:22 PM
Harrison has two years left on a contract that is scheduled to pay him a $6.57 million salary this season.
Harrison also has a salary for 2014 at $7,575,000. His salaries are not guaranteed.

Does anyone know his guaranteed salary numbers or if he has any guaranteed money? Maybe a fully guaranteed 2 year $X million contract would get it done.

Fire Haley
03-08-2013, 02:25 PM
@jharrison9292: Don't forget I'm giving away towels, helmets, footballs and photos but you have to have twitter to win.

Lets not worry about contract talk ppl, hopefully things will get worked out. I still have a lot of stuff to give away!”

https://twitter.com/jharrison9292

I feel better

Hawaii 5-0
03-08-2013, 02:47 PM
@jharrison9292: Don't forget I'm giving away towels, helmets, footballs and photos but you have to have twitter to win.

Lets not worry about contract talk ppl, hopefully things will get worked out. I still have a lot of stuff to give away!”

https://twitter.com/jharrison9292

I feel better

I don't feel better. I don't have twitter...:crying01:

Vis
03-08-2013, 02:52 PM
He's giving away everything that reminds him of his former team

harrison'samonster
03-08-2013, 02:54 PM
He's giving away everything that reminds him of his former team

except for the money

SteelersCanada
03-08-2013, 03:22 PM
Report: Steelers on verge of cutting James Harrison

Posted by Mike Florio

Moments after pointing out that, when it comes the Steelers’ desire to reduce the cap number of linebacker James Harrison, it’s not as easy as it was with other Pittsburgh players, a report emerged demonstrating just how hard it can be.

According to Mike Garafolo of USA Today, the Steelers are on the verge of releasing Harrison.

With other teams jettisoning players in advance of the start of the three-day tampering window, the Steelers have no such urgency because the Steelers most likely won’t be chasing big-money free agents. For the Steelers, the challenge is simply to create enough cap space to go about business the way they always have — methodical, conservative, building from within not without.

Either way, it looks like they’ll soon be without Harrison.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/08/report-steelers-on-verge-of-cutting-james-harrison/

rrage
03-08-2013, 03:45 PM
I'd hate to see harisson gone & i know his cap charge is high but do we really believe we have his replacement. harisson is an unsung hero and silently leads the way on that defense. we would be kidding ourselves if we really think someone can match his intensity and demeanor. i for one agree on a paycut but not a bigone to keep him here one more year. I do believe he will be back to form as he was rounding into shape late in the year and will be a force at least one more year.

Hawaii 5-0
03-09-2013, 12:09 AM
Harrison’s tenure with Steelers could be coming to end

By Staff and Wire Reports
Published: Friday, March 8, 2013

The Steelers might be ready to see if there is life beyond James Harrison.

With the NFL free agent signing period set to begin Tuesday, the Steelers and Harrison have been unable to work out a deal that would keep the five-time Pro Bowl linebacker in Pittsburgh but at a reduced cost.

Bill Parise, Harrison's agent, didn't want to get into specifics Friday, but shortly after talking to Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert, he said, “It's not going good.”

The Steelers do not comment on contract negotiations.

The Steelers, who are only several million dollars below the salary cap, could be asking Harrison to take a substantial reduction from his scheduled salaries of $6.57 million in 2013 and $7.575 million in 2014 — the final two seasons of a $51.75 million, six-year contract.

Players nearing the end of their careers — Harrison will be 35 next season — typically renegotiate the final years of a such a contract.

“I know where we are, but I don't think it's appropriate to say anything yet,” Parise said.

Parise expects the situation to be resolved shortly. He said Harrison wants to stay with the Steelers but is prepared to move on if necessary.

The question for Harrison is whether a team would give him a two-year contract at his age.

Cutting Harrison — even if it frees up more than $5 million of salary cap space in 2013 — would be risky for the Steelers given that Jason Worilds never has been more than a part-time player, and Chris Carter did not play well during Harrison's absence early last season.

Despite injuries, Harrison had 70 tackles and six sacks last season and graded out as the NFL's 10th-best outside linebacker in Pro Football Focus' rankings.

While teams cannot sign free agents until 4 p.m. Tuesday, a newly created three-day window, which starts Saturday, allows teams to talk with agents in advance of the signing period. No signing can be announced until the opening of free agency if a deal is reached.

STEELERS TALK WITH FOSTER

The Steelers had contract discussions with Ramon Foster's agent, Joel Segal, on Thursday and could make the unrestricted free agent offensive lineman an offer after the organization gets a better idea of their finances, a source with knowledge of the meeting said.

However, an offer may come too late and under market value. Arizona, Chicago and Tennessee have shown interest in the 27-year-old guard.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3625436-74/harrison-steelers-million#ixzz2N15DwhAP

Rick5895
03-09-2013, 04:22 AM
I'd hate to see harisson gone & i know his cap charge is high but do we really believe we have his replacement. harisson is an unsung hero and silently leads the way on that defense. we would be kidding ourselves if we really think someone can match his intensity and demeanor. i for one agree on a paycut but not a bigone to keep him here one more year. I do believe he will be back to form as he was rounding into shape late in the year and will be a force at least one more year.

We don't have his replacement on this roster. I am hopeful things can be worked out. If not then and OLB is the top priority April 25.

rrage
03-09-2013, 05:59 AM
We don't have his replacement on this roster. I am hopeful things can be worked out. If not then and OLB is the top priority April 25.

I couldn't agree more and they better plug him in at starter right away, whether he makes mistakes or not.

Quackjack
03-09-2013, 06:20 AM
Fine. I never thought Harrison would be so desperate for money. If you want to do this, Harrison, so be it.

steelfury02
03-09-2013, 06:22 AM
all the more reason Woodley needs to get back to 08/09 and pre injury 2011 level and then some

now is the perfect time for someone else to emerge and for Woodley to become a leader on the defense

no more aging vets to carry the young guys ladies and gents - if James Harrison is truly done as a Steeler, Tricky Dick better think of something else to create pass rush.

:puke:The way the 2013 pass rush is shaping up

Steeldude
03-09-2013, 06:38 AM
If they are going to cut their only OLB then they need to scrap the 2013 season and re-build. Cut Woodley, Colon and Kiesel too.

pczach
03-09-2013, 06:43 AM
It's too bad. This guy has been a stud for this team. I hope he doesn't make the mistake that a few legendary Steelers players made. They left the team for a big 1 year deal with another team and were done, when they could have stayed with the Steelers for multiple years at a lesser rate and finished their careers where they belonged and were loved.:shake01:

This is the guy who said everything he has accomplished in this game is because of Dick LeBeau. I hope he remains here, but if there's no reduction it looks like bye-bye.

SteelersCanada
03-09-2013, 08:33 AM
If they are going to cut their only OLB then they need to scrap the 2013 season and re-build. Cut Woodley, Colon and Kiesel too.

Cutting Woodley creates more problems than it solves. We can't cut a guy that knows he had a piss poor year and is doing everything he can to improve. He's going to be back to his pre-injury 2011 form next year, just watch.

lloydwoodson
03-09-2013, 08:34 AM
Cutting Woodley creates more problems than it solves. We can't cut a guy that knows he had a piss poor year and is doing everything he can to improve. He's going to be back to his pre-injury 2011 form next year, just watch.

Exactly. Could not have said it better myself. :wave:

Steel Peon
03-09-2013, 09:41 AM

So tell me then......why has Wood's abilities been slowly deteriorating since 2009? What makes you think after becoming a media darling that he's got any incentive to improve his game, or lose some weight? My first instinct is (if we ABSOLUTELY have to) cut Woodley and Colon in order to keep Harrison. Remember, Reggie White (who admittedly was a DE, retired at 37 years old when he was still playing great. Hell, he even un-retired 1 year later and played 1 more year for the Panthers.

If you're talking about future potential with Woodley and Colon, I simply don't see any.

Fire Haley
03-09-2013, 09:41 AM
Harrison’s tenure with Steelers could be coming to end

With the NFL free agent signing period set to begin Tuesday, the Steelers and Harrison have been unable to work out a deal that would keep the five-time Pro Bowl linebacker in Pittsburgh but at a reduced cost.

Bill Parise, Harrison's agent, didn't want to get into specifics Friday, but shortly after talking to Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert, he said, “It's not going good.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3625436-74/harrison-steelers-million#axzz2Mx9x3pBx

Hawaii 5-0
03-09-2013, 12:27 PM
Steelers release James Harrison

Updated: March 9, 2013
ESPN.com news services

James Harrison, unable to reach an agreement on a restructured contract, was released by the Pittsburgh Steelers on Saturday.

Harrison had been trying to rework his contract that was set to pay him $6.57 million this season. The 34-year-old was set to make $7.6 million in 2014. By releasing Harrison, the Steelers create $5.105 million in cap room.

"It's been a great run but all good things must come to a end," Harrison wrote on Twitter. "Thank you Steelers Nation I will miss you all!"

One of the reasons (besides money) why the Steelers may have released 5-time Pro Bowl linebacker James Harrison is because of declining production.

Season Sacks Games

2012 6 13

2011 9 11

2010 10.5 16

2009 10 16

2008 16 15*

*AP Defensive Player of Year

Harrison, known for his hard hits and penchant for fines, was slowed by injuries last season and registered six sacks, his lowest total since he became a full-time starter in 2007.

"We have informed James Harrison that we have released him," Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said. "James has been an integral part of our success during his years in Pittsburgh and has helped us win two Lombardi trophies during that time. We appreciate all of his efforts and wish him the best."

The NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 2008 when he collected 16 sacks, Harrison won two Super Bowls with the Steelers and has been one of the most popular players in franchise history.

"James has played a major role in the success of this organization during his time in Pittsburgh," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "I appreciate everything he has done in my six years as head coach and wish him nothing but the best in the future."

Harrison's signature play with the Steelers came in a Super Bowl XLIII win over the Arizona Cardinals when he returned an interception 100 yards for a touchdown.

Harrison, who signed with the Steelers as an undrafted free agent in 2002, ranks fourth in franchise history with 64 sacks.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9034415/james-harrison-released-pittsburgh-steelers

SteelersCanada
03-09-2013, 01:19 PM
So tell me then......why has Wood's abilities been slowly deteriorating since 2009? What makes you think after becoming a media darling that he's got any incentive to improve his game, or lose some weight? My first instinct is (if we ABSOLUTELY have to) cut Woodley and Colon in order to keep Harrison. Remember, Reggie White (who admittedly was a DE, retired at 37 years old when he was still playing great. Hell, he even un-retired 1 year later and played 1 more year for the Panthers.

If you're talking about future potential with Woodley and Colon, I simply don't see any.

He had 8 sacks in 9 games until his injury in 2011. That's not deteriorating, that's getting injured. He was overweight and out of shape in 2012, no one is arguing that. However, the team made it known that was unacceptable and he's going to return to his 2011 form next season.

Hawaii 5-0
03-09-2013, 03:42 PM
Harrison rejected 30-percent pay cut, opportunity to earn it back

Posted by Mike Florio on March 9, 2013

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/harrison-steelers-cut-3_8_13-4_3_r536_c534.jpg?w=250

The Steelers opted to move on from veteran linebacker James Harrison on Saturday after talks aimed at reducing his 2013 cap number reached impasse.

Per a league source, the Steelers offered a reduction of roughly 30 percent in Harrison’s base salary of $6.57 million, with an opportunity to earn the money back via incentives. (The specific terms of the incentives aren’t known.)

Harrison balked, confident he’ll get more money elsewhere.

But will he? Aging pass rushers are plentiful this year, from John Abraham to Dwight Freeney to Osi Umenyiora to, potentially, Elvis Dumervil.

The current thinking is that Harrison made the decision without his agent gauging the market elsewhere. Which means that Harrison could be in for a rude awakening, soon.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/09/harrison-rejected-30-percent-pay-cut-opportunity-to-earn-it-back/

Quackjack
03-09-2013, 03:49 PM
Harrison rejected 30-percent pay cut, opportunity to earn it back

Posted by Mike Florio on March 9, 2013

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/harrison-steelers-cut-3_8_13-4_3_r536_c534.jpg?w=250

The Steelers opted to move on from veteran linebacker James Harrison on Saturday after talks aimed at reducing his 2013 cap number reached impasse.

Per a league source, the Steelers offered a reduction of roughly 30 percent in Harrison’s base salary of $6.57 million, with an opportunity to earn the money back via incentives. (The specific terms of the incentives aren’t known.)

Harrison balked, confident he’ll get more money elsewhere.

But will he? Aging pass rushers are plentiful this year, from John Abraham to Dwight Freeney to Osi Umenyiora to, potentially, Elvis Dumervil.

The current thinking is that Harrison made the decision without his agent gauging the market elsewhere. Which means that Harrison could be in for a rude awakening, soon.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/09/harrison-rejected-30-percent-pay-cut-opportunity-to-earn-it-back/

What the hell, James?!

What's wrong with you?!

steelfury02
03-09-2013, 03:53 PM
What the hell, James?!

What's wrong with you?!

yea, he's maybe the third best rusher on that list in terms of attractiveness to a contender - he's smoking dope if he thinks he's going to get something like what he had

teegre
03-09-2013, 03:57 PM
yea, he's maybe the third best rusher on that list in terms of attractiveness to a contender - he's smoking dope if he thinks he's going to get something like what he had

He WILL be a Taperiot.

Ugh.

steelfury02
03-09-2013, 03:59 PM
He WILL be a Taperiot.

Ugh.

not if they eventually get Welker to resign or get another WR

Steel Peon
03-09-2013, 04:39 PM
He had 8 sacks in 9 games until his injury in 2011. That's not deteriorating, that's getting injured. He was overweight and out of shape in 2012, no one is arguing that. However, the team made it known that was unacceptable and he's going to return to his 2011 form next season.

I hope you're right and I'm wrong.......but I doubt it.

Hawaii 5-0
03-09-2013, 06:46 PM
He WILL be a Taperiot.

Ugh.

James Harrison rumors: Patriots interest free agent LB

By Jason Garrison on Mar 9 2013

Now that James Harrison is no longer a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers, one team that interests him is the New England Patriots.

The Pittsburgh Steelers released outside linebacker James Harrison on Saturday, as was expected. Now that he's a free agent, one team that interests Harrison is the New England Patriots, according to The Boston Herald's Jeff Howe.

When Harrison was asked by ESPN about whether or not he would like to play for the Patriots, the linebacker's response was "telling."

"Of course it would be nice to play with Tom Brady," Harrison said. "I mean, who wouldn't want to?"

Harrison has been a linchpin in the Steelers' 3-4 defense for years, and the five-time Pro Bowler could bring an added dimension to any defense.That said, the Patriots' 4-3 defense may not be the best fit.

Harrison's tune has changed quite a bit on the Patriots. After New England was defeated by the Giants in Super Bowl XLVI, Harrison took to Twitter, saying "Told you, cheaters never win!" Seeing Harrison in a Patriots uniform would be somewhat ironic.

Harrison did say in his interview with ESPN that he would be interested in playing with any team.

Harrison is coming off a season in which he played in 13 games and racked up 70 tackles and six sacks. In his 10-year career with the Steelers, Harrison has made 617 tackles and 64.5 sacks as well as intercepted five passes. He has also been fined thousands of dollars for illegal hits as well as suspended for a few games.

Harrison has been labeled in the past as one of the NFL's most violent players. Any team, including the Patriots, would likely be interested in bringing in an intimidating player with Harrison's abilities to make plays. That is, as long as they're willing to get penalized every now and again.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/3/9/4084008/james-harrison-patriots-nfl-free-agency