PDA

View Full Version : Is Jarvis Jones realistic at 17?

ebsteelers
03-06-2013, 12:07 PM
i am looking at todd mcshays most recent mock draft, and obviously take it with a grain of salt, but he has steelers take jarvis at 17..

cant imagine he'll be there, but its the second mock i've seen with us grabbing him..
i'd pumped if we could somehow grab him..
get a safety and round 2, and rb in 3.. bpa rest of the draft

and are 0-16 steeler fever outlook looks more like 16-0!!!

Jarvis Jones*Pittsburgh Steelers (8-8)COLLEGE: GeorgiaAGE: 23HT: 6-2⅜WT: 245POS: LB
Analysis: Cornerback, wide receiver and offensive tackle are all bigger needs, but Jones is a good value pick here if he checks out medically. He fits perfectly as a 3-4 outside linebacker in the Steelers' scheme, which historically has excelled with smaller-framed OLBs.

The bottom line is the Steelers' pass rush -- particularly on third downs -- was lacking last year. James Harrison's play dropped off and LaMarr Woodley struggled to stay healthy. The Steelers saw some flashes from Jason Worilds, but is he a long-term answer as a starter? What Jones does best is pin his ears back and attack the QB off the edge.

Vis
03-06-2013, 12:16 PM
No, not realistic.

SteelersCanada
03-06-2013, 12:20 PM
I like how he says CB is a need which shows me he didn't watch a single Steelers game this year. He said to himself,

"Oh, Keenan Lewis is leaving? CB must be a need then."

He also says we need a Tackle which, again, shows to me that he has no idea what he's talking about.

Anyway, I think it is. There's a lot of teams scared off by his medical issues and with the Chiefs tagging Brandon Albert, that changes the dynamic of this draft. It's no longer a forgone conclusion that Joeckel is the number one overall pick and could potentially slide to the Eagles at 4. That one little thing changed what teams are going to do in terms of trades, etc. and teams are higher on other pass rushers (Jordan comes to mind).

If he's there at 17, the Steelers brass might beat their record for 'fastest pick in NFL history' which they got last year with DeCastro.

ebsteelers
03-06-2013, 12:51 PM
how far would anyone be willing to trade up to grab him?

me personally i hate trading up, but it seems like with the saints switching to a 3-4 he could be a target for them as well..

if he is there at 17 great. sprint up the podium, if not, hopefully we can grab a game changing safety..

austinfrench76
03-06-2013, 01:01 PM
Couldn't agree more that CB is NOT a need for us. If he's there, we absolutely take him but probably won't be. I think they actually trade down and grab a Safety, Vecarro or Elam. Unless, of course, someone that they love falls and they go BPA - Jones falls into that category.

livingthrudying
03-06-2013, 01:25 PM
Mock's are pointless until after Free Agency has begun for at least a few weeks. People will sign, Needs will change and so on.

teegre
03-06-2013, 01:46 PM
Very realistic.

Teams are scared about his spinal abnormality. Michael Irvin played witht he same "complication"... but, with that said, Jones could also have a very short career.

IMO: who cares if he only plays 6 seasons!?! Sign him to a rookie contract (which is cheap); let him dominate fior five seasons... and if he starts to show signs of complications, then the Steelers simply do not re-sign him. Heck, they lose FAs all the time after their rookie contracts are up, so I do not see it being an issue.

Lastly, is response to trading up for him: no. This draft is too deep to be trading up. (If anything, I'd trade back & pick up a few extra R3 picks.)

pete74
03-06-2013, 01:53 PM
If he is there I would take him in a second. With that said, he will be long gone by the time we pick

Hawaii 5-0
03-06-2013, 02:00 PM
if we had started a similar thread a year ago about how realistic it would be for David DeCastro to still be there at #24, how many people would have said yes?

anything can happen, especially when you consider Jarvis Jones' medical concerns.

PhantomJB93
03-06-2013, 03:22 PM
I mean, it's possible. The injury bug can really scare off a few teams. Da'Quan Bowers was in the conversation for the #1 pick a few years back, and surely looked like he would go top 5, and he slid all the way back to the mid second (I know he hasn't done much in his time in the NFL but still). With the abundance of pass rushers in the top half of the draft, a lot of teams might love Jones's upside, but if there are still guys like Ansah, Mingo, Werner hanging around, it will be tempting for teams to go with them because they still have first round upside without the neck problems.

LayingTheWoodley56
03-06-2013, 04:50 PM
I like how he says CB is a need which shows me he didn't watch a single Steelers game this year. He said to himself,

"Oh, Keenan Lewis is leaving? CB must be a need then."

He also says we need a Tackle which, again, shows to me that he has no idea what he's talking about.

Anyway, I think it is. There's a lot of teams scared off by his medical issues and with the Chiefs tagging Brandon Albert, that changes the dynamic of this draft. It's no longer a forgone conclusion that Joeckel is the number one overall pick and could potentially slide to the Eagles at 4. That one little thing changed what teams are going to do in terms of trades, etc. and teams are higher on other pass rushers (Jordan comes to mind).

If he's there at 17, the Steelers brass might beat their record for 'fastest pick in NFL history' which they got last year with DeCastro.

That's a good point. Tackle is not a need whatsoever, we've drafted high there the past two years. Therefore, mock draft invalidated.

Hawaii 5-0
03-06-2013, 06:25 PM
i am looking at todd mcshays most recent mock draft, and obviously take it with a grain of salt, but he has steelers take jarvis at 17..

Pick Team Pick

1 Kansas City Chiefs Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah
2 Jacksonville Jaguars Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M
3 Oakland Raiders Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida
4 Philadelphia Eagles Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
5 Detroit Lions Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU
6 Cleveland Browns Dion Jordan, OLB/DE, Oregon
7 Arizona Cardinals Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
8 Buffalo Bills Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan
9 NY Jets Barkevious Mingo, OLB/DE, LSU
10 Tennessee Titans Johnathan Cooper, G, North Carolina
11 San Diego Chargers Lane Johnson, LT, Oklahoma
12 Miami Dolphins Keenan Allen, WR, California
13 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas
14 Carolina Panthers Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri
15 New Orleans Saints Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia
16 St. Louis Rams Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia
17 Pittsburgh Steelers Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia
18 Dallas Cowboys Chance Warmack, G, Alabama
19 NY Giants Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame
20 Chicago Bears Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee
21 Cincinnati Bengals D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama
22 St Louis Rams (from WAS) Menelik Watson, OT, Florida State
23 Minnesota Vikings Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina
24 Indianapolis Colts Justin Pugh, OT, Syracuse
25 Seattle Seahawks Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State
26 Green Bay Packers John Jenkins, DT, Georgia
27 Houston Texans Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee
28 Denver Broncos Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State
29 New England Patriots Blidi Wreh-Wilson, CB, Connecticut
30 Atlanta Falcons Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford
31 San Francisco 49ers Margus Hunt, DE, SMU
32 Baltimore Ravens Manti Te'o, MLB, Notre Dame

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2013/3/6/4071778/todd-mcshays-2013-nfl-mock-draft-3-0-defense-dominants

pczach
03-06-2013, 06:54 PM
I don't think there's any question he could drop. They've already talked about this on NFL network and some other draft talk I have listened to. In fact, they are saying it is going to happen, based on what the Chiefs have already done, the medical issues, and just the way the draft order happens to fall with team needs. All you Jones fanatics have a real chance!

WokeUpWithaWoodley
03-06-2013, 09:18 PM
Steelers LB Coach Keith Butler Worked Out Auburn LB Corey Lemonier At Tuesday Pro Day
Wednesday, March 6th, 2013 at 11:48 am by Dave Bryan

I have mentioned the name of Auburn defensive end/linebacker Corey Lemonier a few times in recent post and even included him in my first Pittsburgh Steelers mock draft following the Senior Bowl. Lemonier is a classic undersized defensive end that will more than likely be an outside linebacker in a 3-4 at the NFL level.

The Auburn pro day took place on Tuesday and Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler was present for it and even conducted the linebacker drills for Lemonier, according to an Associated Press report.

Lemonier stood on his combine numbers and was asked what Butler told him following his workout.

"He said definitely I could play some linebacker," Lemonier said.

Several other teams were present to watch the Auburn pro day and Lemonier revealed that every team that he talked to, including the Steelers, asked him about the Tigers' 3-9 season last year as well as his own season.

"It was just getting chipped and double-teamed, most of that was coming to my side," Lemonier said about his drop-off last year, via the report. "I don't want to sound like, 'Poor me.' It's something that just happened. It's part of the game."

Lemonier is projected to be drafted in the second or third round after skipping his senior season.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/03/steelers-lb-coach-keith-butler-auburn-lb-corey-lemonier-pro-day/

SteelersCanada
03-06-2013, 09:24 PM
Do you guys think they're gearing up for a Vaccaro in the first, Lemonier in the second kind of deal?

harrison'samonster
03-06-2013, 09:26 PM
Do you guys think they're gearing up for a Vaccaro in the first, Lemonier in the second kind of deal?

according to CBS sports, Lemonier is projected to go into the 4th

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737318

SteelersCanada
03-06-2013, 09:28 PM
according to CBS sports, Lemonier is projected to go into the 4th

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737318

Woah, I was way off.

harrison'samonster
03-06-2013, 09:31 PM
Woah, I was way off.

I've heard Lemonier mentioned a good bit and assumed he'd be up there as well. This draft is deep with players we could use, too bad we can't take em all.

At this point I wouldn't mind seeing us go:

OG / WR in the 1st because I think we can get good LB / S / RB latter on

kan_t
03-06-2013, 09:37 PM
I've heard Lemonier mentioned a good bit and assumed he'd be up there as well. This draft is deep with players we could use, too bad we can't take em all.

At this point I wouldn't mind seeing us go:

OG / WR in the 1st because I think we can get good LB / S / RB latter on
The depth of OL in this year draft is as good as LB/S/RB IMO.

teegre
03-06-2013, 10:35 PM

I've heard everywhere from R1 to R3... and now, R4.

I always saw him as a R3 pick, but his combine launched him into R2.

I've also heard that a GM (or top scout) that that he was the best pass-rusher in the entire draft. (Maybe not the best all-around OLB, but the best pass-rusher.)

I hope he goes in R3... but, an thinking it's R2.

R1: Tavon Austin, WR
R2: Corey Lemonier, OLB
R3: DJ Swearinger, S
R4: Gavin Escobar, TE
R5: Shawn Williams, S

Rick5895
03-07-2013, 03:41 AM
If McShays mock plays out, Warmack is another player he has dropping and cold fit into the Steelers plans as well. I can't see Jones dropping to 17. If Warmack somehow drops to 17 he would be an interesting pick for the Steelers. The OL would then be set for the next 5 years. The draft is deep with LB's and Safeties and we could well have starters or future in the first 4 rounds of the draft.

Steeldude
03-07-2013, 06:10 AM
Cornerback, wide receiver and offensive tackle are all bigger needs

They are? The Steelers do not have a single OLB after Harrison. Who is going to provide the pressure and make plays? Harrison may get cut due to the cap.

WR is not a bigger need. It's about 4th on the priority list

I wouldn't say T is a pressing need, but Adams and Gilbert don't look to be LTs

CB depends on Lewis. Are there any CBs worth the 17th pick?

wwhickok
03-07-2013, 06:38 AM
I genuinely feel that Pass Rusher/Safety is our biggest need(s). Next would probably be NT/RB

Its just me but I'm not a Jarvis Jomes fan and further more I don't think he will still be there at 17. I think Jarvis is a one-dimesnional Pass Rusher who is actually a long-term step down from what Harrison is. Harrison is better against the run than I believe Jones is.

I truly believe our first round pick is going to be Kenny Vaccaro. I think the Steelers will look at the overwhelming age of the position and the fact we have 0 youth behind them (not counting Mundy). Therefore personally, I view it as our biggest need despite having two quality starters.

Truthfully, the only realistic Round 1 LB I like is Kevin Minter.

Fire Haley
03-10-2013, 07:53 AM
He won't be dropping to us now.

US PRESSWIRE Jarvis Jones is getting a clean bill of health.

*Jarvis Jones’ neck injury is starting to look like it might be a non-issue on draft day, and there is little chance he will fall out of the top 10.

In a medical report that was sent to NFL teams, leading orthopedist Craig Brigham refutes that Jones ever had a significant spinal cord contusion. When he was at Southern Cal, the pass rusher was diagnosed with one, and Southern Cal did not allow him to play in 2010. Jones transferred to Georgia and played two seasons with no problems. Brigham concluded that Jones either had a very mild incident of spinal cord concussion or merely a stinger that has long since resolved. Even if another similar injury occurred, Brigham concluded it would not be a career ending issue.

After recently examining Jones, Brigham concluded, “Jarvis is cleared to play without restriction.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfp-sunday-blitz-093023787--nfl.html

kan_t
03-10-2013, 07:55 AM

*Jarvis Jones’ neck injury is starting to look like it might be a non-issue on draft day, and there is little chance he will fall out of the top 10.

In a medical report that was sent to NFL teams, leading orthopedist Craig Brigham refutes that Jones ever had a significant spinal cord contusion. When he was at Southern Cal, the pass rusher was diagnosed with one, and Southern Cal did not allow him to play in 2010. Jones transferred to Georgia and played two seasons with no problems. Brigham concluded that Jones either had a very mild incident of spinal cord concussion or merely a stinger that has long since resolved. Even if another similar injury occurred, Brigham concluded it would not be a career ending issue.

After recently examining Jones, Brigham concluded, “Jarvis is cleared to play without restriction.”

:banging::thud:

teegre
03-10-2013, 10:27 AM

Please delete this post.

[Reason: it makes me sad.]

MasterOfPuppets
03-10-2013, 11:25 AM
and there's no chance that decastro will be there at 24 either....:doh:

pete74
03-10-2013, 12:03 PM
Oh well I will be happy with Moore

Hawaii 5-0
03-10-2013, 06:20 PM
Jarvis Jones reportedly receives good medical report

By Dan Hanzus
Around the League Writer
Published: March 10, 2013

Jones has received very good news on that front in the form of a new medical report recently sent to NFL teams. Dan Pompei of the National Football Post reported Sunday that leading orthopedist Craig Brigham concluded that Jones never had a significant spinal-cord contusion. Brigham's findings refute findings by USC doctors who diagnosed Jones with spinal stenosis in 2009.

USC wouldn't medically clear Jones, leading to the linebacker's decision to transfer.

Brigham believes Jones had a very mild incident of spinal-cord concussion or a stinger. Either way, the doctor believes the situation has long since been resolved. Jones' ability to star for two seasons at Georgia provides evidence in support of Brigham's conclusion.

Brigham said Jones could continue playing even if another similar injury occurred. He concluded: "Jarvis is cleared to play without restriction."

This won't remove all doubt from the equation, but Brigham's medical report should provide some peace of mind to teams who believe Jones can be a centerpiece of an NFL defense. Don't expect a first-round free-fall here.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000149233/article/jarvis-jones-reportedly-receives-good-medical-report

harrison'samonster
03-10-2013, 06:23 PM
looks a little less realistic now

Hawaii 5-0
03-10-2013, 06:35 PM
looks a little less realistic now

I agree, I highly doubt Jarvis Jones drops out of the Top 10 selections now...

ebsteelers
03-11-2013, 12:37 PM
Mel Kiper Jr.

has Steelers taking Tyler Eifert TE Notre Dame

while i like the idea of adding him as I am an ND fan.. i feel we could drop down a few spots and still grab him..

would defintely give us some nice red zone offense which we are missing

Hawaii 5-0
03-13-2013, 01:00 AM
Report: Jarvis Jones cleared medically

Published: March 12, 2013

ATHENS - In his quest to be the top pick in the NFL draft, Jarvis Jones' skill and intangibles have never been the issue. No, it's all about the neck.

The news on that front has been good lately. According to a report on The National Football Post, orthopedist Craig Brigham has concluded that Jones never had spinal stenosis, backing up what UGA doctors found after Jones transferred from USC, which wouldn't clear him medically.

Instead, Jones had a "very mild incident" of spinal-cord concussion, accoring to Brigham. Or put another way, he had a stinger.

"Either way, the doctor believes the situation has long since been resolved," writes NFL.com's Dan Hanzus.

If NFL teams take the findings as gospel, or reach the same conclusions, it will be interesting to see if Jones starts sliding back up the mock draft boards. His predicted spot in the various mock drafts has been all over the place, from No. 5 overall to mid-to-late first round. ESPN analyst Mel Kiper recently dropped Jones from No. 1 overall to No. 5 overall on his big board.

Jones was a first-team all-American each of his two seasons at Georgia, and his neck was never an issue. He did miss two games this past season, but that was because of unrelated minor injuries.

Jones did not work out at the NFL combine last month, instead deciding to focus on performing for scouts at UGA's pro day, which is March 21.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2013/03/12/2418205/report-jarvis-jones-cleared-medically.html#storylink=cpy

austinfrench76
03-13-2013, 03:32 PM
Eifert would be awesome and I think Jones will be gone by 17.

SteelersCanada
03-14-2013, 10:44 AM
Heyward isn't developing no matter what everyone wants to belive ...

How can you possibly judge Cameron Heyward to this point? He doesn't get any snaps as he's sitting behind Keisel. How anyone have an opinion, good or bad, of him right now is beyond me. He hasn't had legitimate gametime for any of us to make any kind of judgement on him yet.

pete74
03-14-2013, 11:38 AM
How can you possibly judge Cameron Heyward to this point? He doesn't get any snaps as he's sitting behind Keisel. How anyone have an opinion, good or bad, of him right now is beyond me. He hasn't had legitimate gametime for any of us to make any kind of judgement on him yet.

Agreed but if he was showing something at practice then he would be playing more

harrison'samonster
03-14-2013, 11:49 AM
Agreed but if he was showing something at practice then he would be playing more

I would keep an open mind on Heyward and even Hood still. They are both young and physically talented players. I think this is Hood's last year in his contract? He's gotten better so I am looking for him to either step up this season or we'll possibly start looking for somebody to compete for that spot.

Heyward got a good bit of snaps and seemed like he was doing well to me, he'll get more of a chance in the future and it will be easier to say one way or another.

I don't necessarily dislike the idea of drafting D-line early, but I don't see us doing it this year.

sluggermatt15
03-16-2013, 11:43 AM
I also don't see Jarvis Jones dropping outside of the Top 10. I can see Jacksonville taking him up at #2. His draft position may also depend on whether there are any trading of the top picks. Teams could trade up or trade down and take him. IMO the Steelers won't be willing to trade up and get him. Don't think they would want to give up what it would take to do so.

austinfrench76
03-16-2013, 10:26 PM
I think that the Sanders situation could help with this pick. They may be able to then bundle some picks to move up. Just sayin. That would be something that would help them with that decision.

Hawaii 5-0
03-21-2013, 12:58 PM
Jarvis Jones calls himself the best player in the NFL draft

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 21, 2013

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/300x-401.jpg?w=250

Georgia linebacker Jarvis Jones has no doubts about where he ranks among the prospects in this year’s NFL draft.

“At the end of the day I think I’m the number one player,” Jones told D. Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution after performing for NFL scouts at Georgia’s Pro Day workout on Thursday.

Jones didn’t work out at the Scouting Combine, so Pro Day was his opportunity to show what kind of athlete he is. According to Marc Weiszer of the Athens Banner-Herald, Jones ran the 40-yard dash in 4.85 seconds, which would be a disappointing time for a linebacker who was hoping to show off his speed.

Whether Jones is the best player in the draft or not, he seems to be drawing a lot of interest from teams in the Top 5: He said after working out that he has visits scheduled with the Chiefs, Eagles and Lions.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/21/jarvis-jones-calls-himself-the-best-player-in-the-nfl-draft/

harrison'samonster
03-21-2013, 01:10 PM
Hawaii 5-0, CBS has Arthur Brown going in the first to Chicago or GB.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1619684

However, I think your mock hits everything and I'd be happy to see it happen. Any chance you could work a TE in there?

Hawaii 5-0
03-21-2013, 01:34 PM
Hawaii 5-0, CBS has Arthur Brown going in the first to Chicago or GB.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1619684

However, I think your mock hits everything and I'd be happy to see it happen. Any chance you could work a TE in there?

yeah, Arthur Brown went from a relative unknown to shooting up draft boards very quickly.

and I do have us drafting TE Michael Williams from Alabama in the 6th round, I think he provides good value there.

harrison'samonster
03-21-2013, 01:38 PM
yeah, Arthur Brown went from a relative unknown to shooting up draft boards very quickly.

and I do have us drafting TE Michael Williams from Alabama in the 6th round, I think he provides good value there.

I missed Williams, but I meant more of a pass-catching TE. Williams looks like he could be a good contributor to the Offense, it all really depends on how they think Miller will heal.

Hawaii 5-0
03-21-2013, 02:18 PM
I missed Williams, but I meant more of a pass-catching TE. Williams looks like he could be a good contributor to the Offense, it all really depends on how they think Miller will heal.

Heath Miller's timetable to return is the big unknown.

however, I believe the Steelers feel comfortable with Matt Spaeth, David Paulson and David Johnson until he does come back.

OX1947
03-21-2013, 02:33 PM
Not in this draft. He is not going to get out of the top 5.

desertsteel
03-21-2013, 02:49 PM
My concern is that they would put him behind Worilds and he wouldn't see the field for a couple years per normal. I want impact! This year! From that standpoint I don't care what position as long as not P, K, QB, FB.

Hawaii 5-0
03-21-2013, 02:50 PM
Not in this draft. He is not going to get out of the top 5.

UGA's Jarvis Jones drawing interest from several teams in Top 5

By Matt Rybaltowski | CBSSports.com
March 21, 2013

http://25.media.tumblr.com/4a8de1c24489c73c882e2e6b1cf0688b/tumblr_mk0uplArVr1s7mr6lo1_500.jpg

Jarvis Jones reportedly ran the 40 in 4.85 seconds on Thursday. (USATSI)

Forced out of last month's NFL Scouting Combine with an apparent spinal injury, former Georgia linebacker Jarvis Jones is looking to dazzle scouts over the next few weeks throughout individual workouts.

Despite running the 40-yard dash in a pedestrian 4.85 seconds at Thursday's Bulldogs Pro Day, Jones still believes he's the top player in April's NFL Draft. Several teams in the top 5 are reportedly interested in the two-time All-American. Jones (6-3, 241 pounds) has meetings scheduled with the Chiefs, Eagles and Lions, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

In 2009 while at USC, Jones was diagnosed with spinal stenosis -- a degenerative condition that can put pressure on the spinal cord and the nerves that travel through the spine, according to the Mayo Clinic. Jones subsequently transferred after doctors would not allow him to return to the field. In response, Jones sought a second opinion from spinal specialists and was cleared by team doctors at Georgia.

Jones received promising news earlier this month when a prominent orthopedist concluded that he never suffered from spinal stenosis while with the Trojans. Dr. Craig Brigham, an orthopedic surgeon at the OrthoCarolina Spine Center in Charlotte, told National Football Post earlier this month that Jones "had a very mild incident of spinal cord concussion or merely a stinger that has long since resolved."

In two seasons at Georgia, Jones recorded 28 sacks and 45.5 tackles-for-loss. Jones could be coveted by the Chiefs and Lions after both teams lost pass rushers in free agency. Former Chiefs defensive end Glenn Dorsey signed a multi-year deal with the 49ers, while former Lions defensive end Cliff Avril agreed to terms on a two-year deal with the Seahawks. In Philadelphia, Jones could team with newly-signed rusher Connor Barwin.

Jones also reportedly met with the Bears, Browns, Cowboys, Jaguars and Rams at the combine.

"Anybody who steps on that field has a chance of getting hurt. If you think about it like that, nobody would ever play football,” Jones told CBSSports.com's Rob Rang. “I know that I've got to be careful about my technique and how I play this game. Therefore, I do the extra stuff to protect my neck, to protect my shoulders."

The condition is not rare. Former Chargers offensive tackle Marcus McNeill slipped to the second round in the 2006 NFL Draft amid concerns about his neck. Last August, McNeill retired at 28 in part because of the injury.

In 2010, Rob Gronkowski reportedly received a similar diagnosis at the Combine, according to Yahoo Sports, an evaluation that was disputed by his agent Drew Rosenhaus. Gronkowski, a former tight end at Arizona, missed the 2009 season with a back injury.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21925425/ugas-jarvis-jones-drawing-interest-from-several-teams-in-top-5

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
03-21-2013, 03:02 PM
My concern is that they would put him behind Worilds and he wouldn't see the field for a couple years per normal. I want impact! This year! From that standpoint I don't care what position as long as not P, K, QB, FB.

Only players that will make a impact is offensive players, defensive player will sit on the bench for 1-2 years smh

Steelers>NFL
03-21-2013, 03:02 PM

yeah, LeBeau overly complicated defense doe not allow rookies to start. no matter how good they are.

pete74
03-21-2013, 03:19 PM
yeah, LeBeau overly complicated defense doe not allow rookies to start. no matter how good they are.

I hear this all the time but don't understand it unless the player has a major learning disability. I understand our defense is complicated but there is no way it could take someone with half a brain 3 years to learn. I understand that some players take longer to develop which is why Heyward is still watching from the sideline but no way does it take that long to learn one nfl play book. This is football not med school

teegre
03-21-2013, 03:20 PM
When push comes to shove, I still bet he drops out fo the top 5.

He might not make it to 17, but I think that those teams in the top 5 want a "sure" thing... and Jarvis' back will scare them away. I have seen this time & time again: right before the draft, teams talk themselves out of players (via over-analysis). And, Jarvis' back will produce a lot of "over-analysis."

Hawaii 5-0
03-21-2013, 03:22 PM
I understand that some players take longer to develop which is why Heyward is still watching from the sideline

that and for whatever reason he can't seem to beat out Brett Keisel or Ziggy Hood for a starting position.

pete74
03-21-2013, 03:23 PM
When push comes to shove, I still bet he drops out fo the top 5.

He might not make it to 17, but I think that those teams in the top 5 want a "sure" thing... and Jarvis' back will scare them away. I have seen this time & time again: right before the draft, teams talk themselves out of players (via over-analysis). And, Jarvis' back will produce a lot of "over-analysis."

I agree. Hey is easily a top 5 without the injury but because of it I think teams will back off. I don't see him falling to 17 though

pete74
03-21-2013, 03:24 PM
that and for whatever reason he can't seem to beat out Brett Keisel or Ziggy Hood for a starting position.

I'm shocked because I liked the pick and thought he would be an awesome end for us

FrancoLambert
03-21-2013, 03:41 PM
Never thought DeCastro would drop to us last year.
Don't think Jones has any shot of dropping to us this year. No chance.

Grav
03-21-2013, 05:28 PM
Had a pretty poor pro day today so might drop, but most scouts didnt expect him to test well

WokeUpWithaWoodley
03-21-2013, 05:45 PM
We need offense more than defense. Our offense as is will scare no one and won't do much.

harrison'samonster
03-21-2013, 05:51 PM
we definitely need a few players on both sides. The thing about offense is there are good WR's and RB's in the 2-4 Rounds.

Hawaii 5-0, I love the Escobar addition!

pete74
03-21-2013, 06:17 PM
we definitely need a few players on both sides. The thing about offense is there are good WR's and RB's in the 2-4 Rounds.

Hawaii 5-0, I love the Escobar addition!

I agree. There isn't any WR's like Green, Johnson or Jones this year. There is just as much of a chance that any of the first round WR's being a bust as the third rounders. I see us going defense in the first. Either safety, Linebacker or defensive line

cowherpower
03-21-2013, 06:28 PM
I hear this all the time but don't understand it unless the player has a major learning disability. I understand our defense is complicated but there is no way it could take someone with half a brain 3 years to learn. I understand that some players take longer to develop which is why Heyward is still watching from the sideline but no way does it take that long to learn one nfl play book. This is football not med school

We aren't talking about society's brightest here. These are for the most part straight up jocks who go to school because they have to in order to get in the NFL. Opportunity plays a huge role in getting reps which make you better. If your HC doesn't play you, you aren't showing your strengths (to warrant more PT) or weaknesses (to know what to work on) so you can languish on the bench in favor of many times, inferior veterans. This could be due to personal relationships developed between player and coach, contract forcing the issue, or skill.

Hearing some of these guys talk or their tweets and it's pretty easy to see why it might take a little longer to learn the scheme, but Tomlin does not help in this regard by not getting them more reps.

Steeldude
03-21-2013, 06:43 PM

To put it in simple terms...the players are complete morons. It doesn't take long to learn any defense or offense. It's just the fact that so many players are dumber than hell.

Steelers5895
03-21-2013, 06:56 PM
wont matter. he will sit for 2 years behind an underperforming aging starter and when he finally hits his stride he will be a free agent and he will be gone because we are in cap hell.

Steeler7BR
03-21-2013, 07:23 PM
To put it in simple terms...the players are complete morons. It doesn't take long to learn any defense or offense. It's just the fact that so many players are dumber than hell.

What are you talking about every player knows at the start of the season what stands in the playbook. Theres no question. Rookies have their first camp I think in like may and you will tell me that they still don't know their playbook 4 months later? Common.

Hawaii 5-0
03-22-2013, 12:42 AM
Jarvis Jones disappoints at Georgia Pro Day

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 21, 2013

The reviews are in from Georgia’s Pro Day, and while linebacker Jarvis Jones declared himself the best player in the draft afterward, most other observers weren’t so impressed.

NFL Network’s Mike Mayock reported from the Pro Day that Jones ran a 40-yard dash in the 4.9-second range, and that representatives of multiple teams were alarmed that Jones was that slow.

“I think a 4.9 is a red flag,” Mayock said. “I talked to a lot of coaches and scouts and they all said the same thing: ‘Wow. A lot slower than we expected.’”

By way of comparison, Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te’o was also marked down by several observers as too slow after he ran his 40-yard dash at the Scouting Combine — and Te’o, who finished in 4.82 seconds, was faster than Jones.

A 40 time isn’t everything: As former NFL general manager Charley Casserly noted on NFL Network, Jones’s 40 is comparable to the 40 that Terrell Suggs ran at his Pro Day, a workout that had some people downgrading Suggs but didn’t dissuade the Ravens from spending a Top 10 pick on him — and didn’t stop Suggs from becoming one of the NFL’s best defensive players. But Suggs is also 260 pounds. In the next breath, Casserly said he couldn’t remember any linebackers Jones’s size (245 pounds) who were able to overcome a 4.9-second 40 and still play well in the NFL.

Jones does, of course, have plenty of good game tape to back him up: He wasn’t a two-time All-American for nothing. As Mayock said, the question facing NFL teams now is, “Do you throw out the 4.9 and go back to the tape and trust that he can do what you ask him to do?”

Jones has to hope teams are willing to do just that.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/21/jarvis-jones-disappoints-at-georgia-pro-day/

Galax Steeler
03-22-2013, 03:45 AM
I still think I would take a chance on him at 17 if he is there. A prime example is Vontaze Burfict for the Bengals his 40 time sucked as well and now he is starting for them after having a good rookie year.

IowaSteeler927
03-22-2013, 03:52 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000152723/article/lb-jarvis-jones-has-lackluster-pro-day

Looks like his Pro Day wasn't exactly breathtaking. I think he could legitimately fall to us a the #17 pick. Nobody expected Decastro to fall as far as he did last year. Stranger things have happened. I think if he's there we should snatch him up no question. He isn't going to be an impact player his first year would be my guess, but he's so young that he's really got a little bit more time to develop than older players entering the draft. I would love to see what NFL strength and conditioning could do for him.

Steel_Bus_24
03-22-2013, 05:35 AM
For the 1st I really don't know which way we go....theres so many needs for an impact player all over this team....

But at 17 I just don't see some unrelenting force thats going to justify the pick of a pass rusher there for the Steelers

So outside of QB, OLB, and maybe WR(Im afraid we'll run into another Wallace Scenario) where we can't pay)..................Im ok with taking BAP at 17

kan_t
03-22-2013, 06:02 AM
Keep praying for Jones' falling.

And the Steelers better pick him up if he does fall. If not I will be very very mad.

Steeler7BR
03-22-2013, 06:42 AM
Keep praying for Jones' falling.

And the Steelers better pick him up if he does fall. If not I will be very very mad.

Did you miss his pro day? I would be shocked if he even gets picked in the top 20. If it was due to me he even wouldn't be picked in the top 64 and I'm dead serious about that.

Let me be more specific here. It's not about his 40 time, actually it has something to do with it but it's not the main reason. Not only that he ran only a 4,90 but even in the damn position drills he looked so freaking slow.

So I looked at the tape of him which I didn't do before and he played like he showed everybody yesterday. He is slow, he is pretty weak, can't set a damn edge, he even got problems with TEs blocking. I would be shocked if Jarvis Jones could be an effective player in the pros.

And pls before you say anything look back on the tape he looks like a damn high school boy getting pushed around.

pete74
03-22-2013, 07:06 AM
Did you miss his pro day? I would be shocked if he even gets picked in the top 20. If it was due to me he even wouldn't be picked in the top 64 and I'm dead serious about that.

Let me be more specific here. It's not about his 40 time, actually it has something to do with it but it's not the main reason. Not only that he ran only a 4,90 but even in the damn position drills he looked so freaking slow.

So I looked at the tape of him which I didn't do before and he played like he showed everybody yesterday. He is slow, he is pretty weak, can't set a damn edge, he even got problems with TEs blocking. I would be shocked if Jarvis Jones could be an effective player in the pros.

And pls before you say anything look back on the tape he looks like a damn high school boy getting pushed around.

Those drills are useless for him. He has way to much game tape showing what he can do. He plays in a very tough conference and has played great against some of the best college players. He is one of the top OLB in the draft and everyone knows he can dominate and the only concern is his health

Steeler7BR
03-22-2013, 07:22 AM
Those drills are useless for him. He has way to much game tape showing what he can do. He plays in a very tough conference and has played great against some of the best college players. He is one of the top OLB in the draft and everyone knows he can dominate and the only concern is his health

nqczNIJJ2O4

Ok, if he's that good of a player just anybody watch that video and give me a few strengths that you see that make him a good football player in the NFL. Just make a list of strengths and how he can contribute to our team. And if you not happy with the tape just tape in 'Jarvis Jones 2012' on youtube and find a better game of him, just link it here and tell me what amazig skills you see that will make him a got NFL player.

ebsteelers
03-22-2013, 08:12 AM
Did you miss his pro day? I would be shocked if he even gets picked in the top 20. If it was due to me he even wouldn't be picked in the top 64 and I'm dead serious about that.Let me be more specific here. It's not about his 40 time, actually it has something to do with it but it's not the main reason. Not only that he ran only a 4,90 but even in the damn position drills he looked so freaking slow.

cant make this stuff up...

pete74
03-22-2013, 08:49 AM
nqczNIJJ2O4

Ok, if he's that good of a player just anybody watch that video and give me a few strengths that you see that make him a good football player in the NFL. Just make a list of strengths and how he can contribute to our team. And if you not happy with the tape just tape in 'Jarvis Jones 2012' on youtube and find a better game of him, just link it here and tell me what amazig skills you see that will make him a got NFL player.

Are you for real? In 12 games he had 85 tackles, 22 solo for a loss, 14 sacks, 7 forced fumbles and a pick. He is very fast on the field, very fluid when dropping into coverage. He is extremely explosive off the edge and blows up a ton of plays before they happen. He also plays in the SEC which says a lot because he is playing against the top teams with the most NFL caliber players.
Find me another OLB in a tough division with stats like that.
I'm not sure what game tape you are watching, but you won't find another OLB with more highlights as Jones.
If you want you can tell me who you feel is the best player in this entire draft and I gurentee you I will find some bad game tape on that player. Nobody is perfect and Jones sure isn't.

SteelersCanada
03-22-2013, 08:50 AM
If Jarvis Jones is there at 17, Mike and friends mike weep tears of joy. Him and LeBeau are going to have a bro hug, and then they're going to call Woodley to see how his training is going. To say the Steelers would pass on him because of his pro day is insane - look at the kid on film.

Steeler7BR
03-22-2013, 09:23 AM
Are you for real? In 12 games he had 85 tackles, 22 solo for a loss, 14 sacks, 7 forced fumbles and a pick. He is very fast on the field, very fluid when dropping into coverage. He is extremely explosive off the edge and blows up a ton of plays before they happen. He also plays in the SEC which says a lot because he is playing against the top teams with the most NFL caliber players.
Find me another OLB in a tough division with stats like that.
I'm not sure what game tape you are watching, but you won't find another OLB with more highlights as Jones.
If you want you can tell me who you feel is the best player in this entire draft and I gurentee you I will find some bad game tape on that player. Nobody is perfect and Jones sure isn't.

Oh really then it shouldn't be a problem picking out a play he did very well and that shows he can play at the next level. I agree he had 1-2 great tackles in there but he missed on one badly, was almost a non factor in the running game, was menhandled almost the whole game and the most plays that he made were absolut bad defended, I mean look at that forced fumble how could two players look more foolish in blocking?

And thats in college, I mean really if it's that easy tell me a part of his game thats ready for the NFL.

- no strength whatsoever/ can't seal the edge
- bad quickness of the line
- good pass rush
- questionable transition into the NFL
- bad coverage skills/ no fluid hips
- health issues

I mean where should I pick a player with that game? 2nd Round maybe because of his effectiveness in the SEC and only if his health is not an issue, but thats it.

ebsteelers
03-22-2013, 09:44 AM
Oh really then it shouldn't be a problem picking out a play he did very well and that shows he can play at the next level. I agree he had 1-2 great tackles in there but he missed on one badly, was almost a non factor in the running game, was menhandled almost the whole game and the most plays that he made were absolut bad defended, I mean look at that forced fumble how could two players look more foolish in blocking?

And thats in college, I mean really if it's that easy tell me a part of his game thats ready for the NFL.

- no strength whatsoever/ can't seal the edge
- bad quickness of the line
- good pass rush
- questionable transition into the NFL
- bad coverage skills/ no fluid hips
- health issues

I mean where should I pick a player with that game? 2nd Round maybe because of his effectiveness in the SEC and only if his health is not an issue, but thats it.

lol i guess there is a reason your on Steeler Fever and not in an NFL front office.

Steeler7BR
03-22-2013, 09:53 AM
lol i guess there is a reason your on Steeler Fever and not in an NFL front office.

Yeah of course Jarvis Jones is one of the best players in the draft and Darren McFadden is an average RB. Pls give me more of your wisdom. :sofunny:

pete74
03-22-2013, 10:40 AM
Yeah of course Jarvis Jones is one of the best players in the draft and Darren McFadden is an average RB. Pls give me more of your wisdom. :sofunny:

Find me anotherOOLB with as many sacks and tackles as Jones. I can find you many wit McFadden's putrid 3.3 ypc he averaged last season. That's not even getting into how he has never played more then 12-13 games a season tops

ebsteelers
03-22-2013, 10:55 AM

you seem mad?

McFadden could be a super star.. what good is it if he cant stay on the FOOTBALL FIELD..

Yes or No. Is the game played on the football field or in the world of potential?

He get paid big money, and has NEVER played a full season.. Thats a fact.
Hes broke a 1,000 yards ONCE in his career.

ebsteelers
03-22-2013, 10:56 AM
Find me anotherOOLB with as many sacks and tackles as Jones. I can find you many wit McFadden's putrid 3.3 ypc he averaged last season. That's not even getting into how he has never played more then 12-13 games a season tops

:tt04:

Exactly Pete Exactly..

EPMD
03-22-2013, 11:56 AM
Steeler7BR seems to be correct in the "Jarvis Jones assessment" area. Jones is most definitely NOT a Steelers-caliber LB! Steeler7BR already said it all in a previous post as to why Jarvis Jones is NOT a Steelers LB prospect, and even provided great tape. Citing Jones' impressive stats from SEC play won't make any difference in what shows up on tape, that being an overgrown safety who has no chance of being an effective 3-down LB in Pittsburgh. He'll NEVER set the edge the way we need it done... doesn't show the ability to drop and cover effectively (could be coached)... and doesn't have anywhere near the strength and explosiveness that's needed to be an effective pass-rusher for us. This is an "NFC-type" of LB who tries to slide through holes and creases to make plays, making up for a lack of strength with a high motor and effort. That would suggest a "quick" LB, and Jones just ran a 4.9 at his Pro Day. The tape shows that if a lineman gets his hands on him, he's finished. His tape is much less impressive that Sean Spence's Miami tapes (3rd round pick). Not sure why we're even talking about Jones, who will never be a Steeler.

Then there's the "spinal stenosis" issue. Never a good thing. Pass.

SteelersCanada
03-22-2013, 12:06 PM
College stats =/= NFL success. While I agree that Jones is the best Linebacker in this draft, going by his stats is a mistake.

pete74
03-22-2013, 12:31 PM
Agreed. Look at Sweed. I used stats to show his college career was a major success since that that other guy was saying he didn't look good in college.

SteelersCanada
03-22-2013, 12:59 PM
Agreed. Look at Sweed. I used stats to show his college career was a major success since that that other guy was saying he didn't look good in college.

He's seeing what he wants to. Jones struggles in the run game but is an absolute monster at block shedding and disrupting the offensive line. He can point to the Alabama game all he wants, and then I'll point to every other game Jones played this year and was disruptive and effective.

He's making an argument based on a bias he already has against Jones and that's something we can't change.

Steeler7BR
03-22-2013, 06:27 PM
Steeler7BR seems to be correct in the "Jarvis Jones assessment" area. Jones is most definitely NOT a Steelers-caliber LB! Steeler7BR already said it all in a previous post as to why Jarvis Jones is NOT a Steelers LB prospect, and even provided great tape. Citing Jones' impressive stats from SEC play won't make any difference in what shows up on tape, that being an overgrown safety who has no chance of being an effective 3-down LB in Pittsburgh. He'll NEVER set the edge the way we need it done... doesn't show the ability to drop and cover effectively (could be coached)... and doesn't have anywhere near the strength and explosiveness that's needed to be an effective pass-rusher for us. This is an "NFC-type" of LB who tries to slide through holes and creases to make plays, making up for a lack of strength with a high motor and effort. That would suggest a "quick" LB, and Jones just ran a 4.9 at his Pro Day. The tape shows that if a lineman gets his hands on him, he's finished. His tape is much less impressive that Sean Spence's Miami tapes (3rd round pick). Not sure why we're even talking about Jones, who will never be a Steeler.

Then there's the "spinal stenosis" issue. Never a good thing. Pass.

Thank you, man. Finally somebody who even understands what I'm saying.

He's seeing what he wants to. Jones struggles in the run game but is an absolute monster at block shedding and disrupting the offensive line. He can point to the Alabama game all he wants, and then I'll point to every other game Jones played this year and was disruptive and effective.

He's making an argument based on a bias he already has against Jones and that's something we can't change.

First of all I have nothing against any prospect. I even thought good of Jarvis Jones till yesterday because I only saw analysis from some NFL scouts which said he is pretty good, they only have an issue with his health. Now he had such a bad pro day that I said I have to take a look at him on tape. And I gave you my thoughts based on the, I think 3 tapes I watched (Alabama, Auburn and I think Ole Miss), and I said them enough today and EMPD got them together pretty good.

So now his stats you point out I think it was like 85 tackles, 22 for loss, 14 sacks, 7 FFs and all of that in the SEC. I mean boy that sounds like a No.1 overall pick here I mean the stats are just a killer but you have to realize it's college. And you have to look at a player based on his ability and how it will translate into the pros and Jarvis Jones will really have a problem with that I believe. I have nothing against him from the personal stand point. I even love the Georgia program this year because they have some good prospects there: Ogletree, Rambo, Jenkins (I believe that is his name I mean the DT they have) I think could all be very valueble for where somebody will take them.

Now you said 'he can point to the Alabama game all he wants, and then I'll point to every other game Jones played this year and was disruptive and effective', but first of all I didn't say 'you all look at the Alabama game and tell me something diffrent'. I said look at that tape or any other you find and give me a list of his abilities that will make him a good pro player. Which nobody did, you all gave me his damn stat line. But pls if you're not listen to me because I'm sooo bias at least take a look at what EMPD said. Look at the and his tape and his ability and not all the time on his damn stats.

StevieRayVol
03-22-2013, 07:24 PM
Antonio "Tiny" Richardson shut Jones down when UT played Georgia....Alec Ogletree was the linebacker who was impressive.

Galax Steeler
03-22-2013, 07:25 PM
I still say if Jones is there we have to pull the trigger on him. He is just to good of a prospect to let go by us in this draft.

Fire Haley
03-22-2013, 07:51 PM
I still say if Jones is there we have to pull the trigger on him..

pimp that ride

he could fall to 17 you know some teams could let it happen

you gotta believe

pczach
03-22-2013, 08:39 PM
Jones is really considered a 4-3 OLB. I've been saying this about him from the beginning. He can't play the run. He shoots gaps to blow up plays, but cannot hold his ground against the running game. I don't think he fits into our system. Just his body type alone tells you he will struggle holding up on the edge. The NFL is a man's game. He rushes the QB well, but doesn't project as a 3-4 OLB.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
03-22-2013, 09:02 PM
I'm not that impressed be him. Lot of his big plays came from him being unblock (free rush to the qb or running back).

I'm one of the few who doesn't want a olb in first. Rather have a ilb before olb. In fact rather have a safety wr rb before olb.

Justp94
03-23-2013, 09:14 PM
I'm not that impressed be him. Lot of his big plays came from him being unblock (free rush to the qb or running back).

I'm one of the few who doesn't want a olb in first. Rather have a ilb before olb. In fact rather have a safety wr rb before olb.

The depth at WR in this years draft is crazy, there's going to be many 1st round talent WRs in the 2nd round and many 2nd round talent WRs in the 3rd round, which means the Steelers don't need to reach on a WR so early.

As far as RBs are concerned in this draft, there's no true 1st round talented RB in this draft, but that doesn't mean the depth of talent isn't there. What I hope the Steelers do is pick a RB in the 3rd or 4th round because then we could still get a good running back like maybe Le'Veon Bell, Montee Ball, Joseph Randle, or Jonathan Franklin.

ILB before OLB is a possibility in this draft as the Steelers had a private work out with ILB Arthur Brown, potential 1st-2nd round pick, he's a similar type player to Lawrence Timmons.

OLB Jarvis Jones and Ezekiel Ansah would be the best picks for us in the 1st though, because Jason Worilds isn't proven yet, and if he fails we need a second option. At ILB we at least have depth with Foote, Timmons, and Spence, but we do need another ILB for depth or to become the future starter.

There's only so many things we can address in this draft, somethings may be better to address in next years draft as we should be seeing a few compensatory picks coming our way.

bornaSteelersfan
03-24-2013, 05:16 AM
Jarvis Jones did not have the best of days Thursday.
By Kareem Copeland
Around the League Writer

The Georgia linebacker didn't work out at the NFL Scouting Combine last month despite doctors clearing him of spinal stenosis stemming from a 2009 neck injury. It is why NFL masses eagerly awaited his March 21 pro day.

Jones didn't help his NFL draft stock, though, after running a muddy 4.92-second 40-yard dash in chilly conditions, The Associated Press reported Thursday. Among the linebackers who ran at the combine, only Virginia Tech's Bruce Taylor was slower. Jones' 20 bench-press reps would have tied for 16th.

Those aren't the numbers you expect from a possible top-10 pick who recently called himself the best player in the draft.

"I'm a football player," Jones said after the workout. "It's about football, right? I'm a football player. That's what I do. At the end of the day, you get those drills -- I'm not saying they ain't worth nothing -- but you get those drills, running the 40 and all that stuff. You could get someone off the street who can run a 4.3, but they can't play football. That's easy."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000152723/article/georgias-jarvis-jones-has-lackluster-pro-day

He might not be what we are looking for. We need someone who can rush the passer. That time is not going to get it done. He doesn't even sound determined that he wants to do better.

Galax Steeler
03-24-2013, 05:36 AM
I would love to have Jones but if we don't get him I hope we can get a player that will have some good impact from the get go. Someone that will provide us years of great plays that is what I am looking for with the first pick. Hopefully it won't be a Mendenhall pick!

beer72
03-25-2013, 09:31 AM
Looking more and more like this might happen

OX1947
03-25-2013, 09:35 AM
Kids got skill and heart, but that neck thing is scary.

Hawaii 5-0
03-28-2013, 01:48 PM
Todd McShay Mock: Steelers select Jarvis Jones, Robert Woods in first two rounds

By Neal Coolong on Mar 28 2013

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/10565609/154481829.0_standard_500.0.jpg

Scouts Inc. analyst Todd McShay has the Steelers taking Georgia LB Jarvis Jones and USC WR Robert Woods in two-round mock draft.

Scouts Inc. analyst Todd McShay doused the flame of the Triangle of Authority, who earlier announced the selection of wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson with the 17th overall pick. In McShay's world, the Rams grab Patterson at No. 16, and the Steelers take Georgia linebacker Jarvis Jones at 17. The Steelers then select USC wide receiver Robert Woods with the 48th overall pick.

Jones is probably the odds-on favorite for the Steelers at 17, judging by the Mockiverse's consensus reactions. Not all are sold on Jones, questioning his ability to take on blocks and his explosive ability in pass rush.

Woods has a long list of recently failed USC receivers ahead of him, but is said to be a hard worker and potentially an explosive playmaker outside the numbers. It wouldn't be a shock to see the Steelers go with a pass rushing threat and a receiver with their first two picks, so McShay's projection doesn't come as much of a surprise.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/3/28/4157124/todd-mcshay-mock-draft-nfl-2013-steelers

ebsteelers
03-28-2013, 02:06 PM
Todd McShay Mock: Steelers select Jarvis Jones, Robert Woods in first two rounds

By Neal Coolong on Mar 28 2013

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/10565609/154481829.0_standard_500.0.jpg

Scouts Inc. analyst Todd McShay has the Steelers taking Georgia LB Jarvis Jones and USC WR Robert Woods in two-round mock draft.

Scouts Inc. analyst Todd McShay doused the flame of the Triangle of Authority, who earlier announced the selection of wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson with the 17th overall pick. In McShay's world, the Rams grab Patterson at No. 16, and the Steelers take Georgia linebacker Jarvis Jones at 17. The Steelers then select USC wide receiver Robert Woods with the 48th overall pick.

Jones is probably the odds-on favorite for the Steelers at 17, judging by the Mockiverse's consensus reactions. Not all are sold on Jones, questioning his ability to take on blocks and his explosive ability in pass rush.

Woods has a long list of recently failed USC receivers ahead of him, but is said to be a hard worker and potentially an explosive playmaker outside the numbers. It wouldn't be a shock to see the Steelers go with a pass rushing threat and a receiver with their first two picks, so McShay's projection doesn't come as much of a surprise.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/3/28/4157124/todd-mcshay-mock-draft-nfl-2013-steelers

beat me to the post..

if that worked out that way that we land jones, and woods,

and also pick up bradshaw... that would wet my whistle!!!

then rounds 3-7 add a saftey (rambo?) maybe a TE, olb , bpas..

Round 1: Jones
Round 2: Woods
Round 3: Rambo
Round 4: maybe we pick another rb Lattimore, or Davis from Arkansas
Round 5: TE
Round 6: BPA and start looking for some lb depth

and my 0-16 looks like 16-0... lets friggin go im get juiced up for the draft

Steel_Bus_24
03-28-2013, 02:34 PM
please no Jones at 17....I don't want another Lazy Version of Woodley

He has the same problem thats killing Te'o.....When you put on the tape...you see he gets caught dancing with people

Galax Steeler
03-28-2013, 02:43 PM
please no Jones at 17....I don't want another Lazy Version of Woodley

He has the same problem thats killing Te'o.....When you put on the tape...you see he gets caught dancing with people

Who would be your realistic choice at 17?

ebsteelers
03-28-2013, 03:09 PM

Jones, or Varraco are seeming like the most realistic..

from my end im still thinking i prefer a olb jones or jordan in round 1 and follow up with an elam or rambo in round 2 or 3.

but overall i trust the front office and however the chips land I think it will turn out fine.. who expected decastro last year.
having Decastro for a full year will be like another first round pick in my opinion.

CrickRat23
03-28-2013, 03:10 PM
I could live with those two picks ( McShay's ) in rounds 1 and 2.

ebsteelers
03-28-2013, 03:13 PM
anyone have an opinion on Kasheem Greene from Rutgers?
or What round he is expected to go in?

Greene and Logan Ryan both had excellent careers at Rutgers. I would think both should go with in the 2nd or 3rd round range.

Greene just always seemed to be around the ball for the Knights.

teegre
03-28-2013, 03:19 PM
I like Hawaii's mocks... especially because they have multiple R2 & R3 picks.

I'd trade the entire draft for three R2 and five R3 picks.

R2: Matt Elam, SS, Florida
R2: Kevin Minter, ILB, LSU
R2: Robert Woods, WR, USC

R3: Le'Veon Bell, RB, Michigan St.
R3: Barrett Jones, OG/OC, Alabama
R3: Corey Lemonier, OLB, Auburn
R3: Gavin Escobar, TE, SDSU
R3: Leon McFadden, CB SDSU

teegre
03-28-2013, 03:20 PM
anyone have an opinion on Kasheem Greene from Rutgers?
or What round he is expected to go in?

Greene and Logan Ryan both had excellent careers at Rutgers. I would think both should go with in the 2nd or 3rd round range.

Greene just always seemed to be around the ball for the Knights.

Greene: early R2

Ryan: early R2... possibly, late R1

CrickRat23
03-28-2013, 03:26 PM

That would be great, but what do we trade?

Steel_Bus_24
03-28-2013, 04:02 PM

My wishes for round 1

1.Cooper Falls to us at 17

If Cooper doesnt fall then

2a S kenny vaccaro
2b. TE Eifert

3. Trade back and pick up some more picks an take a Elam or a Wr
Though I know that is unlikely to happen....I can't remember the last time we traded back

Galax Steeler
03-28-2013, 04:05 PM
My wishes for round 1

2a S kenny vaccaro
2b. TE Eifert

Though I know that is unlikely to happen....I can't remember the last time we traded back

I would have to say our of what you have listed I would take Vaccaro that would be the only one over Jones in my book.

Hawaii 5-0
03-28-2013, 04:11 PM

this would be a great year to trade down, both the Dolphins and 49ers have extra 2nd and/or 3rd round draft picks they could give us if we traded down with them.

NFL draft buzz: 49ers, Dolphins looking to trade up?

By Marc Sessler
Around the League Writer
Published: March 28, 2013

One week after NFL.com's Jeff Darlington told the "ATL Debate Club" he expects the Miami Dolphins to take an aggressive approach to the draft, we're hearing the same from NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah.

The former league scout pegged the Dolphins as one of three teams poised to trade up. Miami, in theory, wants to hop in front of the San Diego Chargers at No. 11 for the chance to land one of the draft's top three offensive tackles. "All signs point toward" the Kansas City Chiefs grabbing Texas A&M's Luke Joeckel at No. 1, according to Jeremiah, but that still leaves Central Michigan's Eric Fisher and Oklahoma's Lane Johnson.

Jeremiah also sees the Minnesota Vikings and San Francisco 49ers as candidates to trade up.

Here's what else we're hearing:

» San Francisco's desire to climb from No. 31 might boil down to two words: Tavon Austin. The West Virginia wide receiver will visit the 49ers for a pre-draft visit, according to The Sacramento Bee. NFL Films senior producer Greg Cosell believes the electrifying Austin might not escape the top 10, but with five picks in the first three rounds and 14 overall, San Francisco has the fire power to make a move.

» Stephen Holder of the Tampa Bay Times calls it a "near certainty" the Buccaneers will select a cornerback with the 13th pick. Even if Tampa pursues Darrelle Revis, Holder reports the team is "underwhelmed" by the free-agent cornerback market and remains committed to drafting talent in the secondary.

» Jeremiah tweeted Wednesday that the Rams have been doing their homework on the draft's top receivers and he would be "shocked" if St. Louis doesn't grab a pass-catcher at No. 16 or 22.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000154928/article/nfl-draft-buzz-49ers-dolphins-looking-to-trade-up

SteelersCanada
03-28-2013, 04:20 PM
Why can't someone like Oakland or Jacksonville be aggressive in this years draft and want to give us their 2014 first round pick so we can get Clowney? Jeez, I'm not asking too much, right?

pete74
03-28-2013, 04:37 PM
My wishes for round 1

2a S kenny vaccaro
2b. TE Eifert

We need to train all our early round offensive lineman and get them playing. I wouldn't want another lineman unless one of the top left tackles drop

Galax Steeler
03-28-2013, 04:39 PM
We need to train all our early round offensive lineman and get them playing. I wouldn't want another lineman unless one of the top left tackles drop

Exactly:thumbsup:

Steel_Bus_24
03-28-2013, 05:06 PM
None of the pass rushers this year will provide anywhere near the type of day 1 impact for the Steelers as would Jonathan Cooper

Im not denying that we need a pass rusher/rush thats going to generate Turnovers if we want to challenge for a title again....I just don't see a polished/physical enough product/force to do that for us right away that would justify that #1 pick.

Plus Double-D is an admitted Cry-Hawks fan.....I certainly could see him walking after his rookie deal, because 1st priority will be Pouncey...Hate to say this but...Id rather pay the guy thats just as good as DD if not better who also has one less knee injury

Hawaii 5-0
04-03-2013, 08:20 PM
Jarvis Jones falling to well below Lions' spot in NFL draft

By Chris McCosky
The Detroit News
April 3, 2013

http://cmsimg.detnews.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=C3&Date=20130403&Category=SPORTS0101&ArtNo=304030431&Ref=AR&Profile=1126&MaxW=640&Border=0&Jarvis-Jones-falling-well-below-Lions-spot-NFL-draft

Mel Kiper on Jarvis Jones: "It's going to take a bold team that doesn't care about perception or justifying that 40 time." (John Bazemore / Associated Press)

Allen Park — Not too long ago, before the combine, ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper and others had Georgia linebacker Jarvis Jones at the top of their big boards.

These days, Jones hovers at 13 and seems to be sliding.

"Hardest player to evaluate in terms of trying to project where he's going to go and even figure out what kind of pro he's going to be," Kiper said Wednesday in a teleconference.

The assessment by NFL.com's Gil Brandt was even harsher. Brandt is questioning whether Jones deserves a first-round grade.

"I just see him as a one-position player," Brandt told NFL.com. "I see him as a guy that's going to play with his hand on the ground and he's going to try hard, and he's going to come close to making sacks, but he's not going to have 14.5 (sacks) like he did at Georgia."

The Lions at one time were considered a prime candidate to select Jones with the No. 5 pick.

Jones did not work out at the combine. He subjected himself to a full day's worth of medical testing — he had been diagnosed with stenosis — and he reportedly came out of it with a clean bill of health.

But his stock plummeted after an awful pro day where he struggled in the agility tests and ran the 40-yard dash in 4.83 and 4.9.

"His workout didn't shock me, but it surprised me," Kiper said. "I thought he'd run 4.7. He ran 4.8, 4.9. The conditions weren't favorable. But (Ravens linebacker) Terrell Suggs ran 4.8, 4.9 in that range and I remember everybody questioning him — 'He's not explosive enough, he'll get blocked.' He's had a great career and the Ravens took him with the 10th overall pick."

Kiper doesn't see Jones falling out of the first round. He said he could see him going No. 15 to New Orleans or No. 17 to Pittsburgh.

"It's going to take a bold team that doesn't care about perception or justifying that 40 time," he said. "If he gets past 17, then you get to the point where you really start falling. Bottom line — top-10 ability, top-10 player, subpar workout and a below-average 40, but still mid-first round when it's all said and done."

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130403/SPORTS0101/304030431#ixzz2PRfG3tVp

SteelersCanada
04-03-2013, 08:57 PM
Sure, we'll take him. We'll let him get his Pro Bowls and All-Pro appearances while Mel Kiper talks about his 40 time.

Steeler7BR
04-04-2013, 10:25 AM
Sure, we'll take him. We'll let him get his Pro Bowls and All-Pro appearances while Mel Kiper talks about his 40 time.

Guys please this dude a clear 4-3 DE. This is the only position that he could play effective in in th pros. Stop begging for him. HE CAN'T PLAY IN OUR SYSTEM!!!!

SteelersCanada
04-04-2013, 10:30 AM
Guys please this dude a clear 4-3 DE. This is the only position that he could play effective in in th pros. Stop begging for him. HE CAN'T PLAY IN OUR SYSTEM!!!!

I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not.

Steeler7BR
04-04-2013, 10:31 AM
I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not.

Did you ever see this guy play?

SteelersCanada
04-04-2013, 10:35 AM
Did you ever see this guy play?

No, I've never seen Jarvis Jones play. He's a RB, right?

He played OLB in a 3-4 scheme at Georgia and succeeded in it and he wouldn't work here? What?

Steeler7BR
04-04-2013, 10:41 AM
No, I've never seen Jarvis Jones play. He's a RB, right?

He played OLB in a 3-4 scheme at Georgia and succeeded in it and he wouldn't work here? What?

Last time I checked Georgia has a College team or did they go pro? It didn't get that news but if you heard anything, tell me!

Now we have a 17th round pick. Would I draft a 6'2'' DE who is weak and can't be effective in the run game (not only not effective but a liability), slow, can't cover pass with good pass rushing skills that still are to me a concern because of his below average athletisim. You're right I wouldn't draft this guy.

I don't care how many college RT's/TE's he fooled.

SteelersCanada
04-04-2013, 10:51 AM
Last time I checked Georgia has a College team or did they go pro? It didn't get that news but if you heard anything, tell me!

Now we have a 17th round pick. Would I draft a 6'2'' DE who is weak and can't be effective in the run game (not only not effective but a liability), slow, can't cover pass with good pass rushing skills that still are to me a concern because of his below average athletisim. You're right I wouldn't draft this guy.

I don't care how many college RT's/TE's he fooled.

I don't even know where to start. He didn't play Defensive End for Georgia, so I don't know what that means. Next, you're judging him on his 40 time? Really? He's "slow". Ok, that's great, he ripped apart competition in the SEC. He's weak? How so? He's not physically strong? That's interesting because every single scouting report I've read has said he has an exceptional, almost freak-like ability to combine his strength and versatility to collapse the pocket. Tell me, how is he "weak"?

He's not strong in the run game, you're right. The pros of him pass rushing and disrupting the pocket far exceed whatever "liability" he was in the run game.

He actually has freakish athleticism but I'm willing to let that go right now. He's versatile. He didn't "fool TEs and RTs" because he pushed them back and made them look silly. He showed he could play either side on the line and created pressure from both left and right outside positions.

He can cover passes about as well as Harrison could. Just a heads up.

You're judging him by his 40 time and pro day which is laughable. Don't look at this kid on film (which are on YouTube, by the way) because you're right, his combine and pro day numbers are why we shouldn't draft him. His 40 time was too slow for us to draft him.

Steeler7BR
04-04-2013, 11:03 AM
I don't even know where to start. He didn't play Defensive End for Georgia, so I don't know what that means. Next, you're judging him on his 40 time? Really? He's "slow". Ok, that's great, he ripped apart competition in the SEC. He's weak? How so? He's not physically strong? That's interesting because every single scouting report I've read has said he has an exceptional, almost freak-like ability to combine his strength and versatility to collapse the pocket. Tell me, how is he "weak"?

He's not strong in the run game, you're right. The pros of him pass rushing and disrupting the pocket far exceed whatever "liability" he was in the run game.

He actually has freakish athleticism but I'm willing to let that go right now. He's versatile. He didn't "fool TEs and RTs" because he pushed them back and made them look silly. He showed he could play either side on the line and created pressure from both left and right outside positions.

He can cover passes about as well as Harrison could. Just a heads up.

You're judging him by his 40 time and pro day which is laughable. Don't look at this kid on film (which are on YouTube, by the way) because you're right, his combine and pro day numbers are why we shouldn't draft him. His 40 time was too slow for us to draft him.

NO. He's a DE prospect in the pros. Theres no doubt. I don't care if he played OLB in college.

'every single scouting report I've read' and that is the exact reason I don't wanna talk to somebody like you. I don't care if somebody gets his knowledge from every scouting report he's reading and then wanna talk football. I mean I don't wanna say the scouts have no clue but to say with a straight face this guy place physicle and is strong is just laughable. I don't care what opinion you have on a prospect by reading two scouting reports and looking a 3 minute highlight video on youtube.

Really I wish him well and hope he can translate his pass rush skills to the pros. I really do. But if you ask me I don't think so by watching about I think like two games of Georgia live this season and 3-4 other games of tape afterwards.

ebsteelers
04-04-2013, 11:52 AM
NO. He's a DE prospect in the pros. Theres no doubt. I don't care if he played OLB in college.

'every single scouting report I've read' and that is the exact reason I don't wanna talk to somebody like you. I don't care if somebody gets his knowledge from every scouting report he's reading and then wanna talk football. I mean I don't wanna say the scouts have no clue but to say with a straight face this guy place physicle and is strong is just laughable. I don't care what opinion you have on a prospect by reading two scouting reports and looking a 3 minute highlight video on youtube.

Really I wish him well and hope he can translate his pass rush skills to the pros. I really do. But if you ask me I don't think so by watching about I think like two games of Georgia live this season and 3-4 other games of tape afterwards.

According to who?

You?

so you say you dont care that he gets his knowledge from a scouting report, but then go to list that you've seen him play, like you know more than the scouts.. if that was the case i dont think this conservation would be happening on steelers fever.

and Canada isnt saying to watch his highlight tape, he is saying watch the film which can be seen on youtube... ahh nevermind not worth going into it :banging:

End of the day no one knows how each player is gonna pan out and we can only hope the players we get work well for us.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
04-04-2013, 11:58 AM

Pretty sure he's a outside linebacker and that's it. Actually I'm 100% sure. Or you are kidding lol

ebsteelers
04-04-2013, 12:10 PM
Pretty sure he's a outside linebacker and that's it. Actually I'm 100% sure. Or you are kidding lol

:applaudit:

i actually dont think i've seen anyone list him a de.

even when he was projected early to a team like the lion who plays a 4-3 he is an olb fit.

but his style of rushing the passer would seem to fit better in a 3-4 scheme, but what the hell do I know

Hawaii 5-0
04-04-2013, 05:08 PM
Steelers host Jarvis Jones

Posted by Mike Wilkening on April 2, 2013

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/jarvis-jones-ap-medium-251x300-e1364922973687.jpg?w=190

The Steelers are hosting former Georgia linebacker Jarvis Jones on Tuesday, Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette said.

The 6-foot-2, 245-pound Jones notched 28 sacks in two season with the Bulldogs. The Steelers, who pick No. 17 in Round One, released veteran outside linebacker James Harrison in March. Jason Worilds, who’s the most likely replacement for Harrison on the roster, is entering the final year of his contract.

While he’s a well-regarded prospect, Jones reportedly did not run particularly fast at Georgia’s Pro Day. What’s more, he has a neck condition said to have been discovered when he was at USC. Jones, for his part, said he’s checked out well from a medical perspective.

Jones ranks No. 25 on Rotoworld draft analyst Josh Norris’ Big Board.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/page/9/

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-04-2013, 05:29 PM
Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia: Jones was reduced to playing the “I’m a football player” card following a tough Pro Day in which he could not best a 4.92 40. Considering medical questions continue to dog Jones during the run-up to the draft, a shaky Pro Day was the last thing he needed.

http://nfl.si.com/2013/04/01/nfl-draft-pro-day-risers-fallers/?sct=hp_t13_a9&eref=sihp

ebsteelers
04-04-2013, 08:11 PM
Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia: Jones was reduced to playing the “I’m a football player” card following a tough Pro Day in which he could not best a 4.92 40. Considering medical questions continue to dog Jones during the run-up to the draft, a shaky Pro Day was the last thing he needed.

http://nfl.si.com/2013/04/01/nfl-draft-pro-day-risers-fallers/?sct=hp_t13_a9&eref=sihp

i dont think that is neccessarily a bad thing though..
Its funny how these off-season combines and junk have a mind of their own.

On January 1 Jones was a top 5 pick, no games have been played since than and it seems like he has done nothing but fall the past 4 months.. (I understand the neck issues.)

I'd prefer the football player over the workout warrior any day

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-04-2013, 09:23 PM

On January 1 Jones was a top 5 pick, no games have been played since than and it seems like he has done nothing but fall the past 4 months.. (I understand the neck issues.)

To paraphrase the draftniks...."if he runs a 4.6, then it confirms what you might have seen on tape. If he runs a 4.92, then you go back to the tape and see if that is what you saw"

Reminds me of how everybody thought Tyson Jackson was gonna be this great 3-4 D-lineman and posters on this board were saying "we need to trade up and get Jackson!!". He ran around blocks on tape and got blocked by the TE from South Carolina in a game I watched and I thought he was hugely over-rated.

Cant always believe the mid season hype.

kan_t
04-04-2013, 09:26 PM

What funny is that his neck issues are not new. He played through the whole season with the neck issues and people still rated him a top 5 pick. But a slow combine time and a so-so pro day suddenly made him fall.

He's the anti Dontari Poe.

SteelersCanada
04-04-2013, 09:37 PM
Insulting me by saying my opinion on him is based on a highlight video and what others have said is just that, insulting. I don't mind having a one-on-one conversation with you, but don't talk to me like I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I don't see Jones as a DE. No one sees him as a DE. Nothing on film shows he could play as a DE. His inability to stop the run would be even more apparent and be more of a liability as a DE in a 4-3 system than it would for a system like ours where our 'Ends are built to stop the run. He is strong. What on film has shown you otherwise? He doesn't have the speed of a Dion Jordan or Barkevious Mingo but he does have that 'next level' block shedding ability that separates him and shows what kind of potential this kid has. His technique is raw, but his block shedding ability and the way he can get separation from Tackles is there. It's not as polished as it could be, but he's flashed it. His ability to Tackles and 'Ends back shows that he does have the kind of strength we need from one of our outside 'Backers.

No one is saying he's exempt of flaws but to say he's overrated and would best fit into a 4-3 scheme is... questionable.

kan_t
04-04-2013, 09:40 PM
Keep in mind the Jones is not a speed rusher. His combine time is really overrated IMO.

SteelersCanada
04-04-2013, 09:43 PM
Keep in mind the Jones is not a speed rusher. His combine time is really overrated IMO.

40 times for a Linebacker are laughable. Who takes that shit into consideration? I'm not saying that BR7 does, but guys like Kiper put waaaaaay too much stock into 40 times, especially for guys that they aren't applicable to.

ETL
04-04-2013, 09:53 PM
is there a chance that this guy is available in round 2?

Hawaii 5-0
04-04-2013, 09:56 PM
40 times for a Linebacker are laughable. Who takes that shit into consideration? I'm not saying that BR7 does, but guys like Kiper put waaaaaay too much stock into 40 times, especially for guys that they aren't applicable to.

I understand what you're saying, but there are times that a 3-4 OLB has to drop into pass coverage and run with RBs and TEs.

harrison'samonster
04-04-2013, 09:57 PM
is there a chance that this guy is available in round 2?

i can see ppl passing on him in the 1st, but if they do, he will be picked up early in the 2nd. but it could be possible.

Fire Haley
04-07-2013, 08:48 AM

atta boy...you'll like this

With the seventeenth pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Steelers select Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia.

The Pittsburgh Steelers powerhouse of the 2000's has recently started to decline. Despite a glut of talent that spanned the decade, many of their core players, as well as certain high profile youngsters, have retired or moved on from the team. As they enter the 2013 season, the Steelers have several holes widening on their once-stacked roster, both offensively and defensively.

The Steelers currently have one quarterback on the roster, an aging Ben Roethlisberger. With him at the helm, their offense will always be dangerous with the ability to move the ball. This offense, however, has a glaring need at the running back position, one that I expect the Front Office to fill within the first three rounds. The loss of Mike Wallace was a major detriment to their offense, leaving Old Man Burress across from the rising young Antonio Brown; replacing Wallace will not be a simple task, but I believe that solid receiving talent can be found deep into the second day. I would say without hesitation that the Steelers have one of the top groups of three young offensive linemen in the entire league. Anchored by a world-class center in Maurkice Pouncey, their line features two other young players drafted near the top of their respective drafts. However, an offensive line consists of five big men, not three -- and if the right player were to fall to them at either LT or LG, I could see the Steelers pulling the trigger, especially for an athletic lineman like Jonathan Cooper or Lane Johnson.

Defensively, the Steelers are but a shell of their former glory -- their once fearsome Linebacking corps has crashed down unceremoniously back to average -- led by returning youngsters (relatively) LaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons. The loss of James Harrison, one of the great enforcers in Linebacker history, is to be succeeded by the promising Jason Worilds. While many Steelers fans are jockeying for another pass rushing OLB, they also see a need for ILB talent, presumably to spell and groom behind the Ancient One, Larry Foote. Their Safety corps is undermanned and aging, and there can never be enough CBs on a team, especially in this pass happy league, although it is unlikely that they fortify early. With Casey Hampton no longer on the depth chart, finding an anchor for their 3-4 is imperative, although this deep draft may have some gems to be uncovered on the second day. Despite an underperforming Ziggy Hood, the Steelers seem willing to stand pat at the DE position, with some solid talent in the wings.

I have identified the Steelers' positions of need to be either an athletic Offensive Lineman to bolster their interior, or a blue-chip prospect to groom in the Linebacking corps. Since Lane Johnson and Jonathan Cooper are already gone ...

With the 17th pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select...

Linebacker JARVIS JONES from Georgia.

An athletic specimen with prototypical measurables and a storied & productive college career, the Steelers find value in the first round with a versatile linebacker. Being able to play either inside or outside, he will be able to involve himself in learning the system with help from Larry Foote, play spot duty for Foote or Lawrence Timmons, and provide third down rusher capability from the outside.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/4/7/4190980/2013-nfl-mock-draft-nn-pittsburgh-steelers-jarvis-jones

pete74
04-07-2013, 09:43 AM
I wouldn't mind if we grabbed Jones round 1. We need to get back to the days were oopposing QB's were afraid to play the Steelers. I doubt any are afraid of us now. We really need a top edge rusher that can get to the QB.
With that said we have so many holes right now that we can pretty much grab the best player available and use him week 1 regardless of position. We definitely need at least one WR, a RB and a ILB'er

Quackjack
04-07-2013, 10:05 AM
Looking closer since he is injured.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-07-2013, 10:40 AM

I can agree with some of that. I think if we are looking at an edge rusher, his 10 yard split is far more important than 40. If a guy cant beat an LT to the edge, he just made it a lot easier to block him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-07-2013, 10:41 AM
I understand what you're saying, but there are times that a 3-4 OLB has to drop into pass coverage and run with RBs and TEs.

I think those times are few and far between. Sure you see Woodley and Harrison get into hook-curl zones on pass protection, but not sure I see them running with TE's in Man coverage often.

Hawaii 5-0
04-08-2013, 05:42 PM
1. (17) Pittsburgh Steelers: Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia

Walt said it best in his mock, dumb groupthink will lead to Jones falling to a smart team like the Steelers, Giants or Ravens. The Steelers could use a young play-maker to replace James Harrison, and Jones would be a dream come true for them. Sources said Pittsburgh sent its entire front office contingent to the Georgia pro day - including head coach Mike Tomlin.

Jones previously decided not to work out at the Combine, but that wassn't surprising. Scouts at the East-West Shrine told WalterFootball.com that Jones would slide on draft day because they believe he will test poorly before the 2013 NFL Draft and isn't a hard worker in the weight room. The scouts said that watching the game tape, Jones is worthy of being a top draft pick, but they don't believe he will go that high.

At his pro day, Jones verified what the scouts told us with a 40 time in the 4.9- to 5.0-second range. His other drills didn't go well either, but scouts told us he looked better in position drills.

Jones was one of the best pass-rushers in college football in 2011. He tied for the second-most sacks in the nation, 13.5. Jones also had 70 tackles, 19.5 tackles for a loss and two forced fumbles.

The junior was excellent this season. He dominated Missouri, stepping up with huge plays to help lead the Bulldogs to a win. Jones had nine tackles with two sacks, a forced fumble, a pass batted and an interception returned 21 yards to the goal line against the Tigers. He also caused two other forced fumbles that he wasn't given credit for. The turnovers the linebacker created came late in the game and sealed the win for Georgia.

Jones did the same thing to Florida. He totaled 13 tackles, 4.5 tackles for a loss, three sacks, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery. Jones also made the game-saving play with a forced fumble around the Georgia 5-yard line in the final minutes. It was a tremendous outing that illustrated his ability to make big plays in big games.

Jones is a dynamite pass-rusher. The way he runs down signal-callers in the pocket and flies around the football field is similar to former Texas A&M linebacker Von Miller. Jones' speed and pass-rushing skills make him extremely disruptive. He has a good burst off the edge which takes tackles by surprise and sets them up for him to beat them around the corner or dodge back to the inside.

Jones never takes plays off given his non-stop motor; he gives relentless effort. Jones amassed 85 tackles, 14.5 sacks, 24.5 tackles for a loss, seven forced fumbles, three passes broken up and a pick in 2012. He led the nation in sacks, tackles for a loss and forced fumbles.

The USC transfer fit well in the Georgia defense and looks like an ideal 3-4 outside linebacker for the next level. For a 4-3 defense, he could play in a similar manner to Von Miller. The 6-foot-3, 241-pounder could be the top talent in the 2013 NFL Draft at any position.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2013charlie_1.php

TRH
04-09-2013, 08:46 AM
Many draft experts are now saying he will likely go well ahead of the Steelers - but IF he is there when we pick - there will be no doubt we'll pick him. I'd be shocked if we didn't if he's still there.
I have a feeling he won't be there when we pick.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-10-2013, 11:52 AM
I'm really questioning if Jones is worth the #17 pick. Watch some of these game videos of him and you see him play with leverage and motor, but I see little or no pass rush skill. He just strikes the O lineman chest plate and often gets locked up with him rather than sheding him and getting to the QB.

If there is still medical risk, I think I pass on him. I would like to see more accomplished pass rush skill and quickness from a guy that might be #17 pick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSMBRH-AzGk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-NcXqL2suA

SteelersCanada
04-14-2013, 10:54 PM
Steelers, Jarvis Jones starting to look like a possible match

Posted by Mike Florio

With iconic Pittsburgh linebacker James Harrison possibly launching a revenge tour in Cincinnati, the Steelers have all the more reason to find a high-end replacement for one of the most feared defenders in football.

Their target very well could be Georgia linebacker Jarvis Jones.

The Steelers hosted Jones earlier this month, and he’d be an intriguing option with the 17th overall pick. If he lasts that long.

Like so many other first-round prospects, it’s hard to gauge precisely where Jones will go. A case of spinal stenosis has created concerns about the possibility of a serious neck injury, but Jones has received full medical clearance — and he has performed well in the SEC (a/k/a NFL Lite) after a transfer from USC.

A decade ago, the Steelers traded up to No. 16 and rolled the dice on a defensive player who emerged from USC with a history of concussions. And Troy Polamalu has been well worth the risk.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/14/steelers-jarvis-jones-starting-to-look-like-a-possible-match/

ebsteelers
04-15-2013, 08:33 AM
the more i think about it, if jones isnt there a trade back seems in order

TRH
04-15-2013, 09:07 AM
the more i think about it, if jones isnt there a trade back seems in order

thats a good idea - but i don't know how you pass up the chance to pick up Vaccaro at 17 if he's still there....

ebsteelers
04-15-2013, 11:11 AM
thats a good idea - but i don't know how you pass up the chance to pick up Vaccaro at 17 if he's still there....

well depends on how you grade guys but, if you feel later elam in round 1 or dj swearinger in round 2 fit, than that gives you some wiggle room to move down as well as add picks..

example if you can drop down to lets say with the 49ers and add their second round pick

you could grab elam at 31 and address more needs at 48, and with the 49ers pick at 60 something..

just idea, its all depends on how the draft turns out..
i have faith in our front office

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-15-2013, 11:36 AM

Agreed, there will be a good football player there at #17. We have lots of holes, I say we take BPA and fill a spot at OLB, Safety, CB.

Still concerned about Jones. I dont see anything special on film to suggest that he is going to be some great pass rusher. Mike Mayock is grading him out as a SAM LB in the 4-3 more than a 3-4 OLB. I tend to agree.

Vacarro, then Lemonier, then gimme your best WR or RB prospect in the 3rd.

Hawaii 5-0
04-21-2013, 01:30 AM
2013 NFL Draft: Georgia linebacker Jarvis Jones poised to conquer more adversity

By Nate Ulrich
April 20, 2013

http://www.ohio.com/polopoly_fs/1.391301.1366419299!/image/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_270/draft20web.jpg

Although Jones dominated college football’s elite in the Southeastern Conference the past two years as an outside linebacker for the University of Georgia, his medical history and disappointing time in the 40-yard dash have prompted some to question whether he can succeed in the NFL. Once considered a candidate to become the No. 1 overall draft pick Thursday, many analysts believe Jones will fall out of the top-10 selections.

The Browns, who have the sixth overall choice, met with Jones last week at their headquarters in Berea. But if most projections accurately reflect the way teams perceive Jones, he would probably only become a realistic target of the Browns if they traded down. ESPN analyst Mel Kiper Jr. believes Jones will land with either the New Orleans Saints at No. 15 or the Pittsburgh Steelers at No. 17.

Jones, though, has emerged from far more trying circumstances than those he has faced during the pre-draft process. Watching his stock slip could never compare to the dark times he endured as a teenager growing up in Richland, Ga.

In January 2005, Jones and his older brother, Darcell Kitchens, were standing on the street near their mother’s home when a car approached. It was Kitchens’ 19th birthday, and he received an invitation to celebrate at a bar.

Kitchens asked his little brother if he wanted him to stay, and Jones, who was 15 at the time, encouraged him to go have fun. Not long after they said goodbye, Kitchens was shot and killed during an argument outside the Gypsy Tea Room and Lounge.

“It stuck with me for a long time,” Jones told ESPN.com last year. “If I had just stayed there with him, he might still be here. I really struggled with it. It took a toll on me. It killed me inside. I’d completely shut it down emotionally.”

Filled with anger, Jones lashed out at his eighth-grade teachers, skipped classes and was eventually expelled from Stewart County Middle School. He was subsequently booted from an alternative school and banned from attending any school in the county.

So Jones’ mother, Gloria Dowdell, granted guardianship to Tony Adams, his AAU basketball coach, and Shelley Stephens, an academic counselor for the team. Jones moved to Stephens’ home in Muscogee County and attended Carver High School in Columbus, Ga.

With some convincing, Jones committed to football and became a prep star. He went on to play for the University of Southern California before suffering a neck injury in 2009 that prompted a detour and positioned him under a microscope in recent months.

Medical issue arises

After Jones sprained his neck against Oregon on Halloween in 2009, he was diagnosed with spinal stenosis, a narrowing of the spinal column that can put pressure on the spinal cord and even lead to paralysis. Although an independent specialist cleared Jones to play, USC’s doctors would not grant clearance for his return.

“I really didn’t know what [stenosis] was,” Jones said in February at the NFL Scouting Combine. “I was a freshman. They were just telling me I can’t play football no more. Eight games out of high school, it was devastating. It was kind of heartbreaking for me, being 2,000 miles from home. I went to USC to play football, and for them to tell me I couldn’t, I was a bit lost.”

Jones found refuge in his home state after Georgia’s doctors approved his comeback. After transferring, he redshirted in 2010 and foreshadowed his breakout season while practicing as a member of the Bulldogs’ scout-team defense.

“We not only had our doctors, but we had independent doctors look at him,” Georgia defensive coordinator Todd Grantham said during a recent phone interview. “He was clean. It’s never been an issue. I don’t see it as anything that I would worry about. He’s been fine since he’s been here, and there’s been nothing that would lead me to think that’s going to be an issue.”

Jones, 23, said he did not work out at the combine because he wanted to give teams ample opportunities to put him through medical tests.

“I have a slight narrowing in my spine between the C4 and C5 [vertebrae],” he said at the combine. “Like pretty much everybody — probably some of y’all have spinal stenosis and don’t know it — I have it. But most of the doctors checked me out and feel that I’m fine. I don’t have any contusion or anything like that in it. I only had one incident, a stinger at USC in ’09, my freshman year. I never had any symptoms after that.”

Still, ProFootballTalk.com reported during the combine that Jones’ neck prompted multiple teams to shy away from considering him, especially in the first round.

But last month, Dan Pompei of the Chicago Tribune and NationalFootballPost.com reported noted orthopedist Dr. Craig Brigham refutes that Jones ever had a significant spinal-cord contusion. According to the report, Brigham concluded that Jones either had “a very mild incident of spinal cord concussion or merely a stinger that has long since resolved,” a similar injury would not end his career and he is clear to play without restriction.

Then on April 5, ProFootballTalk.com reported Jones was not asked to return to Indianapolis, which hosts the combine, for a medical re-check. More and more teams have made it clear they have no concerns about the situation, according to the report.

“People like to throw things out there to put smokescreens on people,” said Grantham, who served as the Browns’ defensive coordinator from 2005-07. “He’s been cleared by doctors, and he can play. He’s played in the best conference in the country the last two years and been the most productive player. So I think that pretty much speaks for itself.”

Production vs. workout

In 2011, Jones started all 14 games at outside linebacker in Georgia’s 3-4 defense, recording 70 tackles, including 19½ for loss and 13½ sacks, to go along with two forced fumbles, two pass breakups and 49 quarterback pressures. In 2012, he missed two games with groin and ankle injuries, but he still compiled 85 tackles in 12 starts and led the nation in sacks (14½) and tackles for loss (24½). He set single-season school records in sacks, tackles for loss and forced fumbles (seven).

But even though Jones’ production led to his status as a two-time All-American, there are concerns about how he’ll translate to the NFL after his poor performance March 21 at Georgia’s pro day. He posted an official time of 4.92 seconds in the 40-yard dash, according to Georgia’s athletics website.

“It surprised me,” Kiper said during a recent conference call. “I thought he’d run 4.7. He ran anywhere from 4.83 to 4.9. Conditions [windy and temperatures in the 40s] weren’t favorable. [Baltimore Ravens five-time Pro Bowl outside linebacker] Terrell Suggs ran in that 4.78 to 4.84 range when he came out of Arizona State [in 2003]. People questioned him.

“I remember getting calls about him after he ran that 40. They were like, ‘Oh, he’s just a great college player. He’s not explosive enough. He’s going to run into resistance at the pro level. He’ll be blockable at the pro level.’ And he’s had a great career, and the Ravens took him with the 10th pick overall. So it’s going to take a bold team that doesn’t care about perception and justifying because of a 40 and all that.”

Grantham said Jones’ initial quickness off the edge will allow him to wreak havoc despite his 40 time. Although some analysts believe the 6-foot-2, 245-pound Jones might be best suited for a 4-3 defense because he lacks the prototypical length of a 3-4 outside linebacker, Grantham is convinced Jones is strongest in a 3-4 scheme like the one new Browns defensive coordinator Ray Horton is installing.

“If the Browns get him, I think they’ve hit a home run,” Grantham said. … “He’s a very good end-of-the-line ‘backer. He can rush the passer. He can drop [in coverage] as an outside ’backer if he needs to. He’s just a guy that’s very instinctive. The reason he’s made the plays he’s made is because of relentless attitude, his effort and his instincts to go along with his ability.”

Jones has not allowed his confidence to waver in the midst of scrutiny. After his pro day, Jones told reporters that he still believes he’s the No. 1 player in the draft.

He has bounced back from hard times throughout his life, so he’s betting on himself to do it again.

“One of my favorite quotes is, ‘It’s not how you drive, it’s how you arrive,’ ” Jones said at the combine. “No matter where you’ve come from or no matter what you’re going through, if you stay focused and stay confident, you can always be what you want to be.”

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/2013-nfl-draft-georgia-linebacker-jarvis-jones-poised-to-conquer-more-adversity-1.391166

desertsteel
04-21-2013, 01:53 AM
I'm not seeing it. I'd pass.

Hawaii 5-0
04-23-2013, 02:18 PM
Jarvis Jones: I will be taken by No. 17 pick in NFL draft

By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The League Editor
Published: April 23, 2013

Georgia outside linebacker Jarvis Jones has drawn a lot of varying opinions throughout the draft process. His game film is outstanding. His pre-draft workouts were less so.

As the draft approaches, Jones' forecast is coming in to focus. At least he thinks so.

"If I even get to 17, I don't think I get past the (Pittsburgh) Steelers," Jones told NFL.com's Ian Rapoport. "I mean, from what I've been told, I don't think I get past the Steelers."

Jones' thinking is consistent with draft buzz we've heard. NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah has been projecting Jones to the Steelers for weeks. The New Orleans Saints at No. 15 are another strong candidate. Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News believes Jones is a player who New York Jets fans should get to know better. The Jets hold the No. 9 and No. 13 overall pick.

Jones has seen some mock drafts that aren't as kind, but he's not listening to them.

"Then you got the people that do the mock drafts, they say I'm way down here, I talk to the coaches, all the coaches don't think I'm gonna get past a certain point, so, coaches - for me personally - the coaches are on something different than all the analysts on TV at home. So, for me, I'm listening to the coaches because they're the ones that have the draft picks."

The medical questions surrounding Jones have quieted over time. He was cleared at the NFL Scouting Combine and didn't need to go back for the re-check. In a draft full of questions, it would be a big surprise if Jones fell too far in the first round.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000162559/article/jarvis-jones-i-wont-get-past-pittsburgh-steelers

pczach
04-23-2013, 03:20 PM
I'm not sold on Jones. First of all, he's going to be a 24 year old rookie. If he isn't ready to play for 2-3 years like we have seen so many times, he may not see the field until he is 27 years old. That's not a very long shelf life for a guy with some medical concerns to begin with. I just don't understand taking him that high with so many needs. He ran a 4.9+ 40 yard dash at the combine. I question his ability to play the run. I wish the guy well, but I just hope it's with another team.

cowherpower
04-23-2013, 07:07 PM
Agreed, there will be a good football player there at #17. We have lots of holes, I say we take BPA and fill a spot at OLB, Safety, CB.

Still concerned about Jones. I dont see anything special on film to suggest that he is going to be some great pass rusher. Mike Mayock is grading him out as a SAM LB in the 4-3 more than a 3-4 OLB. I tend to agree.

Vacarro, then Lemonier, then gimme your best WR or RB prospect in the 3rd.

I can see him making an impact but he needs to hit the weights, and be coached up. We do have the luxury of bringing him in situationally and have him more ready for when we either jettison Woodley or/if Worilds doesn't pan out. That's the type of drafting I prefer anyway when it comes to LB in DL's scheme. But I like you do not see him being an immediate impact stud getting double digit sacks. For one, he will sit behind starters, for two the D is too difficult to pick up. When was the last time we had a OLB come in day one and start making an impact? So although I wouldn't be mad if we got him, I think we actually need day one starters at a couple of positions.

desertsteel
04-23-2013, 07:38 PM
Didn't realize he was 24. Another strike IMO.

1. Poor work ethic
2. 4.9 40
3. 24 years old

Not even counting the mysterious injury background.

Of course, this all means that he will be ROTY next year lol. Just not for the Steelers. We would sit him.

ebsteelers
04-23-2013, 08:01 PM
hes 23 will be 24 during the season but if he came in and does what Bruce Irvin did (8 sacks) (Bruce is already 26) 3rd down specialist I think everyone would have to be pretty pleased cause what are normal production is from a rookie.. by no means am i saying he will definitely come in and have 8 sacks or whatever but (28 sacks in 2 seasons in the sec and 44 tackles for a lose in his career) shows he stacks up pretty against top competition (which some people here are concerned about with teo)..

as far as the injury.. he didnt miss any games cause of this spinal issue that keeps being brought up

shyt even if he can come in and rotate with worldis and woodley maybe light a fire under one of their butts.. it'll help the team as a hole, and add swearinger in round 2 to help safety..

side note: i think anybody we draft will come without concerns...
and even if they dont anything can happen... prime example is last year:
decastro fans loved, and got hurt
adams great pick, injury issues,
spence injuried
ta'mu drunk
rainey wrestler

Rabbit
04-23-2013, 08:22 PM
In a sport where 95% of rookies are 21 or 22, is being 23 really that much of an issue? We're not drafting Brandon Weeden.

ebsteelers
04-23-2013, 08:37 PM
In a sport where 95% of rookies are 21 or 22, is being 23 really that much of an issue? We're not drafting Brandon Weeden.

dont think so.. and it really hasnt been mentioned as a concern..as long as your getting for his prime years its not like its a player on the back half of his career.. plus we have troy and clark, and keisel, 23 brings our average defense down

. also 23 could be more mature than someone at 21 or 20 whatever but like you said its not a weeden or weinke and as i mentioned earlier irvin was 25 when he was drafted.

Hawaii 5-0
04-24-2013, 02:50 AM
Jarvis Jones says Pittsburgh would be a “great place to play”

Posted by Mike Florio on April 23, 2013

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/jones.jpg?w=250

Georgia linebacker Jarvis Jones wants to develop a speed bull rush, like the move used by former Steelers (now Bengals) linebacker James Harrison.

And that could be useful for Jones, since plenty of people think he could be a perfect fit in Pittsburgh. So does Jones, who talked about the possibility on Tuesday’s PFT Live.

“If the Steelers took me, it’d be a great place to play,” Jones said. “I love playing in the 3-4 system. I definitely understand a lot concepts and the things that they do up there, being that I played in the 3-4 system. I mean, it wouldn’t be much of a transition from the scheme part, but I think the Steelers are a great place to play especially on defense. . . . Whoever picks me I think I’m gonna take full advantage of it and sacrifice everything to be great.”

The current buzz is that the Steelers are Jones’ floor, at No. 17 in round one. His ceiling is believed to No. 9 or No. 13 because, yes, there’s increasing chatter that the Jets could take him.

Some wonder whether the Saints would make a play for Jones at No. 15. If that’s what they’re planning, folks in position to know are picking up no indications that it could happen.

In a couple of days, we’ll find out what actually does happen.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/23/jarvis-jones-says-pittsburgh-would-be-a-great-place-to-play/

Steel_Bus_24
04-24-2013, 03:15 AM
Tomlin better be damm sure he has the appropriate leadership/mentality instilled in the team if they take this guy.

Thats all we need is another lazy buddy for Woodley to go run off with

Thinking your hot sh** and that you don't have to put in the practice wont cut it in the NFL

Rick5895
04-24-2013, 03:56 AM
It would be a mistake to pass on Jones. Watch his game tape, he is quick off the ball, very disruptive player. This thread is the first I've heard of laziness, but I'm not following every little tidbit that comes out on all these players like a lot of folks. I just liked what I saw on film and the SEC games I watched last season. If he is there we need to take him, we only have Worilds for 1 more season then he's a FA, if he's gone and Vaccaro are gone then we need to trade down. IMO

Fire Haley
04-24-2013, 04:45 AM
Jones is not a bad pick, he's a good football player and we'd be lucky if he's there for us.

We need a defensive playmaker that can add some pass rush.

We need a new starting WR.

We need a new starting RB.

I don't care what order we get them, just get some.

pczach
04-24-2013, 05:15 AM

I'm not saying his age is the biggest issue in the world. It wouldn't even matter if there weren't so many other questions about him. He and his team couldn't stop me, you, and 9 other Steelersfever members from running the ball down their throats. He ran a very slow time. He didn't do well with the bench press, which shows lack of effort in the weight room. He is questionable against the run. He has a medical condition to consider. When you put them all together, I just don't think he is worth the 17th pick in the draft. To me he's a risk not worth our top pick on.

Fire Haley
04-24-2013, 05:20 AM
Jarvis Jones and Le'Veon Bell as 1st/2nd round drafts - hell yeah I'd take that

we need some new playmakers on this team

pczach
04-24-2013, 05:31 AM
Jarvis Jones and Le'Veon Bell as 1st/2nd round drafts - hell yeah I'd take that

we need some new playmakers on this team

Agreed. We need some players. If they get Jones, I hope I'm wrong about all of it, and he's just a guy that can play when the whistle blows. One thing is for sure, our OL has to play better or it won't matter who we get. We were worst in the league in yards before contact. 1.7 yards before contact! Not good... I do think our young guys will be better this year.

Goldsteel86
04-24-2013, 05:54 AM
Right now this draft is so far up in the air its not funny, but to me that is a good thing. I believe it will be interesting tomorrow night, I truly think there will be alot of surprises, I just hope that the Steelers pick at #17 isn't too big of a surprise andnot too much of a stretch. I would like to see a defensive pick first, either OLB, CB or Safety.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
04-24-2013, 07:07 AM
A lot of people on here criticize teo for his play against bama.....so why not jones.

Jones had a very poor game against bama beside maybe 2 or three plays. He got blocked a lot by tight ends and they handled him pretty well esp in the run game.from what I saw he doesn't have any other rush move other than a speed rush around the edge hoping to get past the tackle. I see him as a liability in the run game and was easily taken out of plays from tight ends.

I hope we don't select him. Not good in the run game, limited rush moves, injury concern, coverage is ? Not qualities I want at the 17th pick to play olb in our defense.

No one knows what he will become but I'm don't want to take the risk on him. I'd much rather try and sign worilds to an extension...and they should do that middle of season.

Note id rather have Werner than jones.

ebsteelers
04-24-2013, 08:30 AM
A lot of people on here criticize teo for his play against bama.....so why not jones.Jones had a very poor game against bama beside maybe 2 or three plays. He got blocked a lot by tight ends and they handled him pretty well esp in the run game.from what I saw he doesn't have any other rush move other than a speed rush around the edge hoping to get past the tackle. I see him as a liability in the run game and was easily taken out of plays from tight ends.

I hope we don't select him. Not good in the run game, limited rush moves, injury concern, coverage is ? Not qualities I want at the 17th pick to play olb in our defense.

No one knows what he will become but I'm don't want to take the risk on him. I'd much rather try and sign worilds to an extension...and they should do that middle of season.

Note id rather have Werner than jones.

guess it has to do with the sec mantra, or body of work against sec teams?

i mean if he can come in and have a bruce irvin type year and get sacks, which was a problem last year, than im all for it. I know you dont want to waste a first rounder on someone who is just going to be a 3rd down specialist in year one but we gotta get after the qb and cause long yardage and turnovers.

it still doesnt seem like he gets to us though, i think the saints grab him..

if jones and vaccaro are gone though... trade down and grab eifert if possible

Goldsteel86
04-24-2013, 08:39 AM
If Jones and Vaccaro are gone then i would like to see the Steelers trade down or take the BPA, however if the Steelers draft Eifert then they place themselves back in the same dilemma they placed themselves in with Wallace, Sanders and Brown. Once Heath is healthy what would happen with Eifert? I seriously don't see Haley lining up in a two TE set, just my opinions though!

ebsteelers
04-24-2013, 08:55 AM
If Jones and Vaccaro are gone then i would like to see the Steelers trade down or take the BPA, however if the Steelers draft Eifert then they place themselves back in the same dilemma they placed themselves in with Wallace, Sanders and Brown. Once Heath is healthy what would happen with Eifert? I seriously don't see Haley lining up in a two TE set, just my opinions though!

the 2 te look would defintely be a nice touch in the red zone..
touchdowns instead of field goals

Goldsteel86
04-24-2013, 09:01 AM
the 2 te look would defintely be a nice touch in the red zone..
touchdowns instead of field goals

Agreed in the Red Zone, but you need a RB to punch it in!

TheVet
04-24-2013, 03:14 PM

And you need an OL that can open a hole so that a RB can punch it in. We're improving, but we're not there yet. A bit more development for our young guys, and one more high quality pick could make the difference this year.

But I do love the idea of a TE, quite possibly Eifert. It helps to counter the OL weakness and the thinness at WR, fills an immediate hole, allows the 2 TE option, helps in the RZ, and gives us an heir to Miller someday.

Rabbit
04-24-2013, 03:30 PM

We have Dwyer and Redman who are good in short yardage situations. If we're going to draft a running back, we need someone who can hit home runs.

Goldsteel86
04-24-2013, 03:39 PM
And you need an OL that can open a hole so that a RB can punch it in. We're improving, but we're not there yet. A bit more development for our young guys, and one more high quality pick could make the difference this year.

But I do love the idea of a TE, quite possibly Eifert. It helps to counter the OL weakness and the thinness at WR, fills an immediate hole, allows the 2 TE option, helps in the RZ, and gives us an heir to Miller someday.

That would have been a good offensive concept when Mike Mularkey or Ken Whisenhunt was the offensive Coordinator, if you watched last year the Steelers weren't exactly the running team in the red zone. Also drafting a TE sends a message to Miller and could work totally against the Steelers. Miller is entering his 8th season, not young but obviously not old either, I simply think there are more pressing needs other than that of TE with the 17th pick.

TheVet
04-24-2013, 04:12 PM
That would have been a good offensive concept when Mike Mularkey or Ken Whisenhunt was the offensive Coordinator, if you watched last year the Steelers weren't exactly the running team in the red zone. Also drafting a TE sends a message to Miller and could work totally against the Steelers. Miller is entering his 8th season, not young but obviously not old either, I simply think there are more pressing needs other than that of TE with the 17th pick.

Oh, well in that case I'll watch the games this year. Thanks for the advice!

:rofl:

Did you notice how poorly we fared when trying to run in the red zone last season, despite having an excellent short yardage back in Redman? Just a guess, but in my opinion, the Steelers would love to be able to run effectively in the red zone.

What are you talking about, "sending a message to Miller"? He and the organization both know that he's one of the most indispensable players on the team. (entering 9th season, BTW)

:noidea:

We have lots of pressing needs, but for at least the short term, Miller's absence leaves one of the biggest holes. And TE addresses several needs simultaneously. If Eifert is available at 17, he might well be BPA as well, and he'll receive consideration.

ebsteelers
04-25-2013, 09:27 PM
WELCOME TO THE BURGH!!

Hawaii 5-0
04-25-2013, 09:30 PM
I can now say without any hesitation or doubt that Jarvis Jones is realistic at #17...:tt02:

Bluedust
04-25-2013, 09:32 PM
We are so spoiled as Pittsburgh fans. Ignore the Pirates, we all do. But people get so mad and have NO idea how lucky we have it.

austinfrench76
04-25-2013, 10:28 PM
Great pick! No other "sure thing" like I believe Jones is! We got better to tonight! Stoked for tomorrow...

Hawaii 5-0
04-26-2013, 02:02 AM
Jarvis Jones is a Steelers kind of guy

By Neal Coolong on Apr 25 2013

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/12176225/134131433.0_standard_500.0.jpg

He isn't the typical age, he isn't in a common position for first round picks in Pittsburgh, but everything else about Jarvis Jones is Steelers all the way.

If the 2012 NFL Draft came as a shock to the Steelers, the 2013 Draft is pretty blase.

David DeCastro was expected to be drafted far earlier than he was by the Steelers. Jarvis Jones was picked to go to the Steelers nearly as soon as mock drafts took over the Internet.

It's somewhat ironic the oldest Steelers first round draft pick under Mike Tomlin was the most obvious choice. It's even more odd that the oldest first round pick is also the first outside linebacker the Steelers have taken in the first round, while being the most obvious pick.

DeCastro was the obvious pick in terms of need and talent in 2012, he just wasn't supposed to be available.

The Steelers don't draft outside linebackers that highly - and now the three likely at the top of their depth chart come Week 1 will be a first round pick and two second round picks; LaMarr Woodley and Jason Worilds.

But his production can't be beat. He works hard on and off the field and was a leader on one of the best defensive teams in the country.

So he's 24.

No one can question Jones' motor. He is relentless in pursuit and plays with a lot of heart.

Maybe the oldest guy just happens to be the most obvious Steelers player in this draft.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/4/25/4268122/jarvis-jones-steelers-draft-2013/in/4031321

PhantomJB93
04-26-2013, 02:05 AM
I really don't get the age concerns. It's not like he's an almost 30 Brandon Weeden or Chris Weinke coming out of college, he's 2 years older than most guys typically are, still just entering his prime.

Fire Haley
04-26-2013, 02:24 AM
Thank you Buffalo!

hahahahahaha

kan_t
04-26-2013, 03:30 AM
I really don't get the age concerns. It's not like he's an almost 30 Brandon Weeden or Chris Weinke coming out of college, he's 2 years older than most guys typically are, still just entering his prime.
I don't get it either. James Harrison didn't start until 26. Jones will turn 24 this year and people act like he's 34.

Steel_Bus_24
04-26-2013, 03:42 AM
I don't get it either. James Harrison didn't start until 26. Jones will turn 24 this year and people act like he's 34.

Silverback wasn't a 1st Round pick

IowaSteeler927
04-26-2013, 03:48 AM
24 years old. He's got plenty of fuel in the tank. People nitpick the stupidest things.

pete74
04-26-2013, 04:00 AM
Don't worry, everyone nitpicking now will be wearing his jersey soon. Jones has been training with Ike Taylor for a while and he wanted to be a Steeler. He will be the next great OLB.

IowaSteeler927
04-26-2013, 04:11 AM
Don't worry, everyone nitpicking now will be wearing his jersey soon. Jones has been training with Ike Taylor for a while and he wanted to be a Steeler. He will be the next great OLB.

I'm no fan of the SEC, but the SEC is the best conference in college football right now and they have been for awhile. This guy put up great stats against top caliber teams. He was a disruptive force making tackles for loss and getting sacks. I was practically begging for the Steelers to pick him when "THE PICK IS IN" came across at #17. With Harrison gone, Worilds a bit of an unproven commodity, and Woodley playing like garbage last season we needed a guy like Jones to come in and compete for a starting job or at least push guys like Worilds and Woodley into being more productive. Not sure why everyone is crying about them not going offense with the first pick.

Still on the board

Justin Hunter,
Terrance Williams
Robert Woods
Keenan Allen
LeVeon Bell
Montee Ball
Eddy Lacy
Marcus Lattimore

Still a good amount of quality players left with some of them being guys that had 1st Round Projections. We'll get the offense shored up but the Steelers would've been making a huge mistake had they not chosen Jones at #17.

Heck to be completely honest I wouldn't mind seeing them go defense again in the 2nd Round. We need playmakers. We need guys that can create fumbles, grab interceptions, and cause quarterbacks to make mistakes. Our offense will be better this year with a year under their belt in Haley's system. We need to get the defense shored up so we can get turnovers and give the offense more opportunities.

Fire Arians
04-26-2013, 04:37 AM
ebsteelers has my vote for member of the month for uh, i dont know, whatever month is next month. he called it!

don't mind me though i probably am the mod with the highest average blood alcohol content

except for tony dickchest. well i prolly drink more than him still, i just wanted to say that. heheh, dickchest.

IowaSteeler927
04-26-2013, 04:58 AM
ebsteelers has my vote for member of the month for uh, i dont know, whatever month is next month. he called it!

don't mind me though i probably am the mod with the highest average blood alcohol content

except for tony dickchest. well i prolly drink more than him still, i just wanted to say that. heheh, dickchest.

BAHAHAH! :rofl:

ebsteelers
04-26-2013, 08:00 AM

hahahahaha
off season poster of the year..

i would post more during the season, but friggin must of forgotten my password at least once a week, until I figured out how to change it....

glad we got em, hoping swearinger in round 2 or 3