PDA

View Full Version : Not sold on Tavon Austin?

tmacsteelerfan
03-06-2013, 09:48 PM
Yes, I know we all want to see a tall outside WR in Pittsburgh next season and I really like Patterson, Hunter, & Allen, but what Tavon lacks in size he makes up for in his ability to play the game of football. This man is the definition of a FOOTBALL PLAYER! I see him as a faster Daunte Hall with the receiver potential of a Wes Welker

Don't believe me, just watch... Not just Oklahoma game highlights, these are his highlights from his entire senior season.
Note: No fast forward effects are use in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3_UNFZHSQU

I take him if we trade back or if we stay at 17. Whatever Safety or OLB selections in the 1st we would take will not provide us with the "immediate" impact I guarantee Tavon gives us at the WR position.

WR/RB/RS.... For a team that needs all three positions, it be nice to kill three birds with one stone.

Those not sold yet, please think of how successful our "healthy" Ben was on 3rd down last season. Now think of that same Ben, in his 2nd season under Todd Haley, with Mr. Austin in the slot. I'D PREDICT NIGHTMARES FOR FUTURE OPPONENTS!

Final statement: We will forget all about Mike Wallace's big play ability 1 game into preseason.

Sharkissle29
03-06-2013, 09:56 PM
I personally do not think the Steelers are looking at him and he would not solve our RB problem either like you mention. The kid is great no doubt, but we need size at the WR position, our guys are tiny as is.

austinfrench76
03-06-2013, 10:02 PM
I like this kid but I agree that he is more of the same for us...OLB or Safety would be my pick.

teegre
03-06-2013, 10:24 PM
I've posted this elsewhere, but it bears iteration... (especially because this thread is about him).

I know that he's short, but he can score from ANYWHERE.

I think that the kid is to the WR position what Darren Sproles is to the RB position. I foresee Tavon averaging 2100 all-purpose yards & 9 TDs per season.

I know that I have advocated for a tall WR to help in the red-zone, but with Tavon, one can hand it off (reverse) or throw a short pass (screen)... and then watch Tavon juke his way into the end-zone. Likewise, in the open field, he is dynamic. And, he is the PERFECT weapon for Haley's (high-percentage completion/quick throw) offense.

Deductively thinking: while Elam (or Vaccaro) are more of a need, a really good (albeit not elite) safety can be found in R2 (or even R4). Whereas, there is only one Tavon... and, there hasn't been anyone like Tavon in a few years. If he were 5'11, he'd be a top-five pick (he's that good).

Simply, he has the speed of Wallace & the moves of Barry Sanders.

So, Yes, I'd take him.

Two years ago, against LSU, Claiborne, Reid, & Mathieu were talking trash to Austin... and he still got over on them.

And then there was the Oklahoma game: 572 total yards (344 rushing yards).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxzPryPMB74

tmacsteelerfan
03-06-2013, 11:31 PM
First, I don't a safety is worth a 17th pick with how deep this draft is at the position, and I would love to see Dion Jordan or Ziggy Ansah's name called. I know both could groom into elite OLB's, but I'm thinking next season and this is my guy. Also OLB's very deep in this draft also.

Second, he wouldn't exactly "solve" our problems at RB, but he'd help significantly. If we bring back Dwyer next season it's obvious he can't carry the whole load. So I'd give Tavon the carries we were giving Rainey during the latter part of last season, except from day one a rookie. Haley should try to get the ball in his hands as much as possible. With that the Steelers could wait until the 5th pick to go with a back that could possibly carry the load like a Lattimore/Gillislee/ Barker/ or Stefphon Jackson on Day 3 who's really growing on me. Alfred Morris isn't the first late round running back to have success early, Shanahan has proved good RB's aren't tough to come by. Not saying they're easy to find or everybody would have one, but of the 16 RB's who rushed for over 1,000 yards last year 4 were taken in the 6th or later. Colbert hasn't shown us a very good eye for RB's thus far, but he has shown the ability to snag talent in late rounds. We'll just have to wait and see.

tmacsteelerfan
03-06-2013, 11:51 PM
By the way, who says you need size at WR to win? Our 2009 team had Hines Ward 6'0, Santonio Holmes 5'11, Mike Wallace 6'0, and Limas Sweed who was tall but didn't contribute to that team.
Currently we have Antonio Brown 5'11, who I believe can be the caliber receiver Holmes was for us that season. Emmanual Sanders 5'11, who was mentored by Hines a smaller receiver who had success outside, didn't show last year but I have faith in Emmanual this season. Jerricho Cotchery 6'1, then of course we'd be adding 5'8 Austin in the slot. Remember we still have 6'5 Heath Miller and can still bring back Plaxico Burress if we feel we need that goal line security blanket. Zach Ertz in the 2nd could be our guy if we want to add a pass catcher with size.
A certain hated coach has already shown that 2 elite TE's paired with a good slot receiver is a deadly combination

tony hipchest
03-07-2013, 12:14 AM
we need more SWEEEEED!

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
03-07-2013, 12:16 AM
Would not mind for us to draft him but if we trade back a few spot to draft him I would be even happier.

But if we could draft a bigger WR(Marquess Wilson, Da'Rick Rogers) & use Tavon as a rb & slot receiver it would make our offense very exciting.

OX1947
03-07-2013, 12:23 AM
By the way, who says you need size at WR to win? Our 2009 team had Hines Ward 6'0, Santonio Holmes 5'11, Mike Wallace 6'0, and Limas Sweed who was tall but didn't contribute to that team.
Currently we have Antonio Brown 5'11, who I believe can be the caliber receiver Holmes was for us that season. Emmanual Sanders 5'11, who was mentored by Hines a smaller receiver who had success outside, didn't show last year but I have faith in Emmanual this season. Jerricho Cotchery 6'1, then of course we'd be adding 5'8 Austin in the slot. Remember we still have 6'5 Heath Miller and can still bring back Plaxico Burress if we feel we need that goal line security blanket. Zach Ertz in the 2nd could be our guy if we want to add a pass catcher with size.
A certain hated coach has already shown that 2 elite TE's paired with a good slot receiver is a deadly combination

Steelers have 3 Super Bowl MVPs who were under 6 feet. Size is overrated unless you are talking about large schlongs.

Bane
03-07-2013, 12:42 AM
we need more SWEEEEED!

As long as we get this Sweed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVKwkS7XncM

Plus one or two catches.

teegre
03-07-2013, 12:53 AM
As long as we get this Sweed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVKwkS7XncM

Plus one or two catches.

One of the BEST blocks EVER!!!

pete74
03-07-2013, 04:05 AM
I like Austin but not at #17. If he was taller and heavier and still had the same speedhe would be a top 10 pick but hhe's to short for me to pick that early.

wwhickok
03-07-2013, 06:39 AM
Don't be shocked in NE drafts him. Why? Wes Welker. Think about it. Similar size, similar skills, makes sense.

As for the Steelers, it makes 0 sense.

VaDave
03-07-2013, 07:14 AM
Good looking highlight reel. Definitely a top pick talent for somebody. As for as the Steelers goes, as good as those moves looked on film, none of them were on grass, and we ALL know about the grass at Heinz. Like Sanders, this is a guy that would flourish in a Dome.

And yeah, I can see him in NEs system too, unfortunately.

BTW, something else I picked up watching this demo was number a # 81 ( Woods) was making some killer down field blocks.

tmacsteelerfan
03-07-2013, 11:54 AM
Good looking highlight reel. Definitely a top pick talent for somebody. As for as the Steelers goes, as good as those moves looked on film, none of them were on grass, and we ALL know about the grass at Heinz. Like Sanders, this is a guy that would flourish in a Dome.

And yeah, I can see him in NEs system too, unfortunately.

BTW, something else I picked up watching this demo was number a # 81 ( Woods) was making some killer down field blocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_Iab2H4WD8 We're all familiar with the field he's playing at during 6:25 of the video.

I had the luxury of seeing every home game he played in his Junior and senior season and the blocking of the other WVU receivers was extremely underrated. Stedman especially, but he can do it all, including being our best ST's tackler.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-07-2013, 02:15 PM
Wasnt Chris Rainey supposed to be a big deal in Haley's offense?

SteelersCanada
03-07-2013, 02:26 PM
Don't be shocked in NE drafts him. Why? Wes Welker. Think about it. Similar size, similar skills, makes sense.

As for the Steelers, it makes 0 sense.

Why does it make no sense? He's a dynamic playmaker and adds another wrinkle to our offense. For a fanbase that wants this offense to get more creative and branch out it's playbook, ripping on someone like Austin doesn't make a lot of sense.

Hawaii 5-0
03-07-2013, 02:36 PM
Why does it make no sense? He's a dynamic playmaker and adds another wrinkle to our offense. For a fanbase that wants this offense to get more creative and branch out it's playbook, ripping on someone like Austin doesn't make a lot of sense.

I agree, this team needs some playmakers.

Tavon Austin is a playmaker.

VaDave
03-07-2013, 02:38 PM
I'm not saying is isn't a play maker, but you got to admit, he's not going to making those cuts at Heinz with the turf we have.

teegre
03-07-2013, 03:52 PM
I'm not saying is isn't a play maker, but you got to admit, he's not going to making those cuts at Heinz with the turf we have.

1. AB can & already does make those types of cuts.

2. Assuming he cutting ability is indeed reduced by some degree, the ability by the defense to "recover" is also reduced by the same degree.

3. Eight games are played away... and so is the SuperBowl.

teegre
03-07-2013, 03:53 PM

Tavon Austin is more like Percy Harvin (than Chris Rainey).

VaDave
03-07-2013, 03:59 PM
Chris Rainey doesn't have one tenth the talent, but using Austin for what we were hoping to get out of Rainey does have some appeal.

tmacsteelerfan
03-07-2013, 04:04 PM

I agree with you that Heinz Field doesn't benefit cutters, and on that note the Steelers should look at that RGIII injury and consider making the change to turf like I think they're going to do with FedEx Field. However, I don't think that playing on real grass is a good excuse not to select him. Sure we'll have the 2 or 3 games where the field is just a complete wreck, but he'll also get to tear up that pretty green turf at Baltimore once a season if you view the glass half full.

FrancoLambert
03-07-2013, 04:05 PM

That is one of my biggest gripes and disappointments from last season.

I thought Haley would design plays to get him into open space and isolate him on a LB.
Plays designed to utilize his speed in the open field. But it never happened.
I seem to remember more plays where Rainey ran inside between the tackles.

Didn't make any sense.

tmacsteelerfan
03-07-2013, 04:40 PM
Chris Rainey doesn't have one tenth the talent, but using Austin for what we were hoping to get out of Rainey does have some appeal.

Exactly! Rainey fell to us in the 5th round, Austin is two inches shy of being a top 10 pick. Percy Harvin is a good comparison, although Harvin has more size, Austin is definitely shiftier, the man would toy with college defenders because he knew they couldn't touch him. He's the only WR I've ever had on a team of mine that I don't mind if he gains the first down and then back tracks behind it to try and gain extra YAC, because he never fails when it comes to making the D look silly.

Think of it this way. Almost everybody on this site, including me, loves Kenny Vaccarro. What does everybody note about Vaccarro last season? His ability to "contain" Austin.... Austin still had 102 yards that game, which aren't normal Tavon numbers, but he also returned a kick 67 yards that game to make up for it! The man made a difference in every game, even in ugly performances from the rest of Mountaineer team.

From day one he'll be our best PR we've ever had in my lifetime. I know Antonio got his Pro-Bowl appearance for his returning abilities that season, but he never gave me that feeling as a fan on punting downs for the Steelers, quite like Tavon does to fans at WVU. Everybody in the stadium knows that your taking a chance punting it to Austin, never had that feeling with Will Blackwell, Troy Edwards, Antwaan Randle El, Santonio Holmes, Stephan Logan, Antonio Brown, Chris Rainey. You wouldn't punt the ball 30 yards out of bounds because those guys are back there. With this guy, it may be your best option.

VaDave
03-07-2013, 04:41 PM
I agree with you that Heinz Field doesn't benefit cutters, and on that note the Steelers should look at that RGIII injury and consider making the change to turf like I think they're going to do with FedEx Field. However, I don't think that playing on real grass is a good excuse not to select him. Sure we'll have the 2 or 3 games where the field is just a complete wreck, but he'll also get to tear up that pretty green turf at Baltimore once a season if you view the glass half full.

That's 10 games a year including Cleveland on grass. Although I can't say that he'd be ineffective on grass, having not seen him play on anything other than turf, but I've not seen many cut back runners have much success at Heinz.

At this point I don't think one should discount playing on grass limiting his most important attribute, but that's just my opinion.

tmacsteelerfan
03-07-2013, 04:46 PM
That is one of my biggest gripes and disappointments from last season.

I thought Haley would design plays to get him into open space and isolate him on a LB.
Plays designed to utilize his speed in the open field. But it never happened.
I seem to remember more plays where Rainey ran inside between the tackles.

Didn't make any sense.

No sense at all. Especially since Haley had success with guys like Jamal Charles and Dexter Mccluster in terms of getting them the ball in space.

VaDave
03-07-2013, 04:54 PM
Exactly! Rainey fell to us in the 5th round, Austin is two inches shy of being a top 10 pick. Percy Harvin is a good comparison, although Harvin has more size, Austin is definitely shiftier, the man would toy with college defenders because he knew they couldn't touch him. He's the only WR I've ever had on a team of mine that I don't mind if he gains the first down and then back tracks behind it to try and gain extra YAC, because he never fails when it comes to making the D look silly.

Think of it this way. Almost everybody on this site, including me, loves Kenny Vaccarro. What does everybody note about Vaccarro last season? His ability to "contain" Austin.... Austin still had 102 yards that game, which aren't normal Tavon numbers, but he also returned a kick 67 yards that game to make up for it! The man made a difference in every game, even in ugly performances from the rest of Mountaineer team.

From day one he'll be our best PR we've ever had in my lifetime. I know Antonio got his Pro-Bowl appearance for his returning abilities that season, but he never gave me that feeling as a fan on punting downs for the Steelers, quite like Tavon does to fans at WVU. Everybody in the stadium knows that your taking a chance punting it to Austin, never had that feeling with Will Blackwell, Troy Edwards, Antwaan Randle El, Santonio Holmes, Stephan Logan, Antonio Brown, Chris Rainey. You wouldn't punt the ball 30 yards out of bounds because those guys are back there. With this guy, it may be your best option.

TMAC,

I honestly think Austin could be a mega star in the NFL, but in my 50 years of following Steeler football, I can't ever remember us drafting a kid with this much flash..... That said, I won't be tearing up my Steeler Fan club card if we do draft him.

VaDave
03-07-2013, 05:02 PM
No sense at all. Especially since Haley had success with guys like Jamal Charles and Dexter Mccluster in terms of getting them the ball in space.

I'm not so sure Rainey was a great open field runner. Speed yes, quick moves, not so much. To be used like Charles and McCluster, he needed to be able to cut quick, and accelerate to clear to open spaces. Rainey's cuts were too rounded and easy to read. Plus, he had a tough time catching the ball in space.

I find it doubtful this pic would have happened if it weren't for the Pouncey family weighing in, and got the feeling Haley wasn't too impressed with him.

JackH
03-07-2013, 05:35 PM
I take him if we trade back or if we stay at 17. Whatever Safety or OLB selections in the 1st we would take will not provide us with the "immediate" impact I guarantee Tavon gives us at the WR position.

I agree with most of what you have said about Tavon Austin, and with others like teegre who are also rather fond of him. If the Steelers take a WR with their #1 pick it should be him not somebody else.

The top priority of the Steelers in the draft should be playmakers. RB can be found in later rounds. So it's receivers that should be on the Steelers hit list at the top of the draft. That includes TE. I noticed you didn't have a TE in your mock draft. My worst nightmare for the Steelers to start next season would be David Paulson at tight end, like that last game against Cleveland. He totally sucked.

My preference for the Steelers first pick would be Tyler Eifert. He could spell Heath until he gets back. When Heath is back, more two tight end sets could be run. Eifert could also be split out like a WR like the Patriots do.

If the Steelers did go Austin as #1, they should get a TE like Escobar, Kelce, or McDonald at #3 or #4. Although I'm not convinced that anybody but Eifert or Ertz can step in from day one and be anything close to Heath.

tmacsteelerfan
03-07-2013, 06:15 PM
That's 10 games a year including Cleveland on grass. Although I can't say that he'd be ineffective on grass, having not seen him play on anything other than turf, but I've not seen many cut back runners have much success at Heinz.

At this point I don't think one should discount playing on grass limiting his most important attribute, but that's just my opinion.

I did my homework on this whole natural grass situation, and here's the times for natural grass highlights... Btw, Sun Life Stadium has natural grass, same place Tavon Austin and WVU went off for 70 points. . .

Freshman & Sophomore Highlights https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q3UOd9_Tkw
1:22 vs USF, 1:51 Gator Bowl vs FSU, 6:25 vs Pitt,

Junior Highlights https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q3UOd9_Tkw
2:02 vs Maryland, 2:44 not on grass but on what was called the greatest college football secondary of all time, 4:17 vs RUT in the snow, 4:32 not grass, but nice seeing him do work on a field with that logo in the middle :tt:, 5:45 vs USF, 6:25 vs Clemson

Senior Higlights https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3_UNFZHSQU
0:37 vs JMU on FedEX Field (most say has the worst field in NFL) juke made at 0:50 is just ridiculous, 7:21 vs Iowa State

if you'd like to look deeper into his highlights in those game I'm sure they're on the internet somewhere. He played in the Big East his first three season where 55% of the fields are still grass.

Hope that makes you feel a little more confident about his ability on grass

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-07-2013, 08:16 PM
Tavon Austin is more like Percy Harvin (than Chris Rainey).

Thanks, but Percy Harvin was no Reggie Bush in college.

Great college players ALWAYS become great NFL players as we all know. Especially where the hashmarks are narrow and you have to play North-South instead of East-west. :coffee:

bornaSteelersfan
03-07-2013, 08:37 PM
I'm sold! This kid could be the offensive spark The Steelers so desperately need after such a lackluster season.

tmacsteelerfan
03-07-2013, 09:30 PM
I agree with most of what you have said about Tavon Austin, and with others like teegre who are also rather fond of him. If the Steelers take a WR with their #1 pick it should be him not somebody else.

The top priority of the Steelers in the draft should be playmakers. RB can be found in later rounds. So it's receivers that should be on the Steelers hit list at the top of the draft. That includes TE. I noticed you didn't have a TE in your mock draft. My worst nightmare for the Steelers to start next season would be David Paulson at tight end, like that last game against Cleveland. He totally sucked.

My preference for the Steelers first pick would be Tyler Eifert. He could spell Heath until he gets back. When Heath is back, more two tight end sets could be run. Eifert could also be split out like a WR like the Patriots do.

If the Steelers did go Austin as #1, they should get a TE like Escobar, Kelce, or McDonald at #3 or #4. Although I'm not convinced that anybody but Eifert or Ertz can step in from day one and be anything close to Heath.

I don't have have a tight end in my mock, but I think if Zach Ertz is available in round 2 when we pick it'll be foolish to pass him up. Colin Cowherd is a huge fan of the guy, and I got tired of hearing him praise the guy so much without seeing his work, and let me say I'm impressed. Tavon would be our playmaker, but Ertz would soon become Ben's favorite target with his size and sure hands. I like Eifert too, but because of his success at the combine he's doubtful to be there with our number 2 pick.

teegre
03-07-2013, 11:09 PM
Thanks, but Percy Harvin was no Reggie Bush in college.

Great college players ALWAYS become great NFL players as we all know. Especially where the hashmarks are narrow and you have to play North-South instead of East-west. :coffee:

Interesting.

I don't believe that I stated (or even alluded to the fact) that great college players "always" pan out in the NFL.

You don't like Austin. You seem him as Rainey part II. Okay. I disagree. Let's leave it at that.

tmacsteelerfan
03-08-2013, 09:33 AM
[QUOTE=El-Gonzo Jackson;1089620]Thanks, but Percy Harvin was no Reggie Bush in college.[QUOTE=El-Gonzo Jackson;1089620]

So if one of the greatest college football players of all time, Reggie Bush, we're in this draft and fell to us at 17, you wouldn't approve of the pick?

I know Tavon is not Reggie Bush, Reggie's has size to go with his moves, but why are guys who have the ability to gain yards EAST/SOUTH more likely to be busts than any other pick?

Coradelle Peterson is raw, Ziggy Ansah is raw, and Dion Jordan is underweight and would have a lot of work to do before he could start at OLB for us. All 3 of those guys I'm sure you approve of us taking in the first, and they have the same, if not greater chances than Tavon at being busts in the NFL.

You just never know who will and who will not pan out in the NFL.

I'd argue OL in the 1st is the biggest security blanket in the draft, but that's been proven wrong plenty of times.

This is why I love the NFL Draft.

pete74
03-08-2013, 11:46 AM
Austin dosnt have the physicality of Percy Harvin and he definatly dosnt run the crisp routs that Welker runs. I don'tsee him making it as an outside reciever because of his size and small hands. Also the dancing he does and the east and west scrambling won't work in the NFL. He's small so injuries are always a concern. With that said I still like him but not at #17. There's no way. We find receivers just as good in later rounds. I would only spend a first round pick on a reciever like Johnson, Green, White, etc. I can't see taking someone in the first round when we have proven that we can find an equal in the later rounds

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-09-2013, 05:15 PM
Interesting.

I don't believe that I stated (or even alluded to the fact) that great college players "always" pan out in the NFL.

You don't like Austin. You seem him as Rainey part II. Okay. I disagree. Let's leave it at that.

No, I just get a kick out of this time of year when every WVU homer comes in and pimps their teams favorite guy with blind ambition.

Owen Schmidt, Pat White, Quincy Morgan, Steve Slaton, etc. had all been aggressively promoted in years past.

I would not spend #17 on Austin and doubt he will be there in the 2nd. He has speed and elusiveness, but nothing that is going to be that dominant in the NFL.

Watch that tape and see how many times he is running sideline to sideline. That doesnt happen in the NFL with narrower hashmarks. And, everybody in the NFL was on scholarship and has speed, so its not going to be as easy as running by guys that will be selling insurance after they graduate.

teegre
03-10-2013, 10:37 AM
No, I just get a kick out of this time of year when every WVU homer comes in and pimps their teams favorite guy with blind ambition.

Owen Schmidt, Pat White, Quincy Morgan, Steve Slaton, etc. had all been aggressively promoted in years past.

I would not spend #17 on Austin and doubt he will be there in the 2nd. He has speed and elusiveness, but nothing that is going to be that dominant in the NFL.

Watch that tape and see how many times he is running sideline to sideline. That doesnt happen in the NFL with narrower hashmarks. And, everybody in the NFL was on scholarship and has speed, so its not going to be as easy as running by guys that will be selling insurance after they graduate.

If anyone in the past thought that Steve Slaton, Pat White, or Owen Schmidt (...or Amos Zereoue or Canute Curtis or Ryan Mundy...) should have been drafted in R1, then they were crazy. Ergo, if that was the case, then I can see why you'd be annoyed.

But, Austin is way better than any of them.

Like I've said: all-purpose yards... (like Sproles).

We can agree to disagree, because I feel he's a R1 pick; you think he's no better (or worse?) than Rainey. Again, we can leave it at that.

tmacsteelerfan
03-11-2013, 10:48 AM
If anyone in the past thought that Steve Slaton, Pat White, or Owen Schmidt (...or Amos Zereoue or Canute Curtis or Ryan Mundy...) should have been drafted in R1, then they were crazy. Ergo, if that was the case, then I can see why you'd be annoyed.

But, Austin is way better than any of them.

Like I've said: all-purpose yards... (like Sproles).

We can agree to disagree, because I feel he's a R1 pick; you think he's no better (or worse?) than Rainey. Again, we can leave it at that.

I wouldn't even have taken a conversation about any of those guys you mentioned being taken in the first round serious. Pacman, Geno, and Tavon are the only guys on WVU in the last decade that I would have ever made a 1st round pick argument for. Making an argument for any of those other guys would almost be as crazy as thinking Rainey is equal in caliber to Austin.

VaDave
03-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Ryan Munday? A first Rounder? MMmmm I don't know about that one.

Munday gives me the feeling we are watching Tony Dungy revisited. What jumps out on film is he know exactly what is going on, and were to be, but just doesn't have the wheels to get there. Darren Perry had a bit of that going on too, and not surprising, he's a heck of a coach as well.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-12-2013, 10:10 AM

Lets be clear. I never said Austin = Rainey. I question if a specialist like Rainey was worth the hype in Haley's offense and was nothing more than a kick returner.

Austin is short, but somewhat stocky at 5'8" 175lbs, and his speed and quickness is unquestionable. The facts are that in the NFL the game is played North-South, the hashmarks are not wide like in NCAA that allow for long East -West runs for speed guys.

In the NFL he is going to run up against 200 lb guys that run 4.3 at CB and 230 lb guys running a 4.5 at LB. Durability will be key for him.

IMO, Austin is purely a slot receiver and kick returner. Not somebody that is going to play on the outside. Unless a team constantly plays with a slot receiver, its not worth the premium pick, so I dont really see the Steelers fit with a bunch of #3 WR's on the roster already.

SteelersCanada
03-14-2013, 01:47 PM
Recovery speed

The Steelers need to replace Mike Wallace's speed. Daniel Jeremiah says Tavon Austin is a perfect fit.

By Daniel Jeremiah
Analyst, NFL.com and NFL Network

7) Following the departure of Mike Wallace, the Pittsburgh Steelers should at least have a discussion about selecting West Virginia's Tavon Austin.

He has the tools to replace the explosive element Wallace provided, while also impacting the game as a returner. The Steelers have several needs to address on the defensive side of the ball (still plenty of players available in free agency), but I'm sure Austin will be discussed in their draft meetings over the next month.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000150810/article/free-agency-fallout-key-moves-that-will-impact-2013-nfl-draft

OX1947
03-14-2013, 02:05 PM
Who?

harrison'samonster
03-14-2013, 02:09 PM
Who?

you're turning into an owl. :chuckle:

tmacsteelerfan
03-14-2013, 02:20 PM
WVU Pro Day Top Tweets

Todd McShay ‏@McShay13 Geno Smith put on a show. Tavon Austin stole the show!

‏@GFCoyle Geno Smith says he connected on 62-of-65 passes. Not official, but it's got to be close based on what we saw. Tavon Austin had no drops.

@astockey #WVU Tavon Austin's pro day effort has #nflnetwork thinking #Steelers should discuss possibility of drafting WR.

Mike Tomln is in attendance.

Bane
03-14-2013, 02:39 PM
With Plax being signed for another year, I'm even more sold on us grabbing Tavon Austin. I've long wanted a player like Percy Harvin without the attitude problems and migraines, so hopefully Austin can be that.

Steel_Bus_24
03-14-2013, 02:44 PM
I love Austin, but Im not sure we could use him to take the top off the coverages the same way we did with wallace.....I really wouldn't want him trying to out jump people on a bunch of vertical passes

I don't like the pick at 17.....but if we could trade back, get him and pick up a couple extra picks then that could work

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
03-14-2013, 02:44 PM
I wish the draft would get here already

btw I see us going defense in the first 2 rounds

Bane
03-14-2013, 03:19 PM
I wish the draft would get here already

btw I see us going defense in the first 2 rounds

I read something saying that the past few years, our first round picks have gone offense, defense, offense, etc. So this year, it seems we'll go defense.

If that's the case, I want Kenny Vaccaro at that spot.

teegre
03-14-2013, 06:23 PM
Lets be clear. I never said Austin = Rainey. I question if a specialist like Rainey was worth the hype in Haley's offense and was nothing more than a kick returner.

Austin is short, but somewhat stocky at 5'8" 175lbs, and his speed and quickness is unquestionable. The facts are that in the NFL the game is played North-South, the hashmarks are not wide like in NCAA that allow for long East -West runs for speed guys.

In the NFL he is going to run up against 200 lb guys that run 4.3 at CB and 230 lb guys running a 4.5 at LB. Durability will be key for him.

IMO, Austin is purely a slot receiver and kick returner. Not somebody that is going to play on the outside. Unless a team constantly plays with a slot receiver, its not worth the premium pick, so I dont really see the Steelers fit with a bunch of #3 WR's on the roster already.

The operative words have been: all-purpose yards.

25 yards rushing per game
35 yards receiving per game
70 return yards per game

Plus, an offensive TD every other game, and one special team TD per year.

2100 all-purpose yards and 9 TDs per season.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-14-2013, 09:47 PM
The operative words have been: all-purpose yards.

25 yards rushing per game
35 yards receiving per game
70 return yards per game

Plus, an offensive TD every other game, and one special team TD per year.

2100 all-purpose yards and 9 TDs per season.

So that puts him in the same NCAA all purpose yardage leaders as :

Damaris Johnson
Brandon West
CJ Spiller
DeAngelo Williams
T. Y. Hilton
Tyron Carrier

I'm amazed by his potential. :coffee:

tony hipchest
03-14-2013, 11:30 PM
no sense in spending a 1st rounder on a smurf.

teegre
03-14-2013, 11:33 PM
So that puts him in the same NCAA all purpose yardage leaders as :

Damaris Johnson
Brandon West
CJ Spiller
DeAngelo Williams
T. Y. Hilton
Tyron Carrier

I'm amazed by his potential. :coffee:

No, that's what he would need for his PRO career, if he averages 2100 all-purpose yards per year (which I think he will).

Make sense?

In other words, even if he only averaged 25 yards rushing & 35 yards receiving, his return yards should put him above 2000 yards.

He is like Sproles, but lined up in the slot (as opposed to lining up in the backfield). You know... like:
Terrell Davis
Marshall Faulk
Darren Sproles
Danny Amendola
Josh Cribbs
et cetera...

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-15-2013, 08:27 AM
No, that's what he would need for his PRO career, if he averages 2100 all-purpose yards per year (which I think he will).

Make sense?

In other words, even if he only averaged 25 yards rushing & 35 yards receiving, his return yards should put him above 2000 yards.

He is like Sproles, but lined up in the slot (as opposed to lining up in the backfield). You know... like:
Terrell Davis
Marshall Faulk
Darren Sproles
Danny Amendola
Josh Cribbs
et cetera...

So.......you are already speculating on an undrafted player's NFL stat line??

You mentioned all purpose yards and I posted the names of players on the career NCAA all purpose yard list ahead of him. You are already comparing him to Marshall Faulk and a bunch of guys that were day 2 draft picks?

Are you WVU alumni or just a really big fan?

steelfury02
03-15-2013, 08:32 AM
I'm on a pitching Tyler Eifert tangent over anything else at this point.Don't underestimate losing Heath Miller for 1/4 to 1/2 of the season +.

I could live with Brown, Sanders, Cotch and a guy like Heath Miller and could be the next Heath Miller. Do you think the Steelers would make that pick if he were there or do you think he would still be there when we pick in the 2nd round?

teegre
03-15-2013, 10:01 AM
So.......you are already speculating on an undrafted player's NFL stat line??

You mentioned all purpose yards and I posted the names of players on the career NCAA all purpose yard list ahead of him. You are already comparing him to Marshall Faulk and a bunch of guys that were day 2 draft picks?

Are you WVU alumni or just a really big fan?

Isn't speculation what all of us are doing in regards to draft picks?

steelfury02
03-15-2013, 10:07 AM
Isn't speculation what all of us are doing in regards to draft picks?

this - but fun as hell anyways - I think in general Steeler Nation is uber-anxious about this draft and I think there is a sense of urgency maybe as a fan base we haven't felt since the 1998 draft - that was critical for leadership and depth/future starters

Ward, Faneca, Townsend - that was one helluva critical draft to get out of the playoffless funk

teegre
03-15-2013, 10:22 AM
this - but fun as hell anyways - I think in general Steeler Nation is uber-anxious about this draft and I think there is a sense of urgency maybe as a fan base we haven't felt since the 1998 draft - that was critical for leadership and depth/future starters

Ward, Faneca, Townsend - that was one helluva critical draft to get out of the playoffless funk

Exactly. This is a deep, deep draft... and with so many perennially productive starters aging and/or leaving, it is perfect timing for the Steelers.

You mention the 1998 draft, and I am thinking the 2002 draft: Simmons, Randle El, Hope, Foote, Keisel (and to a degree, Haynes).

Analysts point to that draft as the draft that set up the 2005 Lombardi. Likewise, I see this draft bringing us something like this:

Elam, Lemonier, Bell, Escobar, McFadden (and to a degree, Carder).

SteelersCanada
03-15-2013, 11:00 AM
Speculating on draft picks is one of the fun things to do in the offseason. T's high on Austin and you're not Gonzo, which is fine, but speculation and discussion about picks is one of the fun things to do pre-draft.

The kid has electric playmaking ability and a ridiculous one-cut that makes some of the better Safety products in this draft look silly. I think he has the potential to be a 2000+ all purpose yard guy too if he's on the right team and with the right supporting cast. Who would've guessed that AB would have 1000 yards receiving and 1000 return yards in a season as a sixth round pick?

JackH
03-15-2013, 04:19 PM
I'm on a pitching Tyler Eifert tangent over anything else at this point.Don't underestimate losing Heath Miller for 1/4 to 1/2 of the season +.

I could live with Brown, Sanders, Cotch and a guy like Heath Miller and could be the next Heath Miller. Do you think the Steelers would make that pick if he were there or do you think he would still be there when we pick in the 2nd round?

Eifert is my favorite pick for the Steelers at #17. Austin is my next favorite.

The Steelers need somebody to make up somewhat for Wallace's lost production and whatever is lost due to Heath's injury.

Eifert is the best answer in my opinion. And he can be split out on occasion. Notre Dame did that with him quite a bit. Both he and Heath can be in there at the same time.

I doubt he'll be there when the Steelers pick in the 2nd round. Zach Ertz might be maybe, but he doesn't give you the speed and options that Eifert does.

I'd like to see R1 Eifert, R2. S or LB, R3 WR, R4 RB, R5 LB or S

or R1 Austin, R3 Escobar or the next best TE, the rest the same.

The NFL these days is mostly about the passing game not defense or the running back, and that is where the Steelers are the weakest.

bornaSteelersfan
03-15-2013, 08:52 PM
I think Tavon Austin would be a great pick (If the Rams don't take him before us). We need someone with his playmaking ability and return skills. I also like that he seems to be truly happy playing the game. His attitude reminds me of Hines Ward with the way he always seems to be smiling. I truly doubt that he drops very low based on the needs of teams after this free agency season.

VaDave
03-16-2013, 07:37 AM
I like Austin a whole lot more if Sanders leaves......

lloydwoodson
03-16-2013, 11:37 AM
Steelers have 3 Super Bowl MVPs who were under 6 feet. Size is overrated unless you are talking about large schlongs.

... yours or someone else's? You like 'em big huh? :chuckle:

bornaSteelersfan
03-18-2013, 01:29 AM
The more I think about this, the more I think it is the logical pick.
1) If Sanders goes to The Patriots, The Steelers will surely need another receiver.

2) Antonio Brown is too expensive to use as a return man any longer. With Rainey gone and Sanders possibly gone, Austin could fit right in on opening day.

3) Todd Haley also needs a player that has no clue of the old Arians playbook. With the scheme that Haley has been trying to put in place, the dynamics of Tavon Austin fit right in.

4) This would in turn make AB step up his play even more to ensure him being the #1 receiver.

I am completely behind this pick assuming he is still there at pick #17.

bornaSteelersfan
03-18-2013, 02:59 AM
By Gil Brandt |
Published: March 17th, 2013

West Virginia University had a whopping 28 teams in attendance for the school’s pro day. The Jacksonville Jaguars brought a large contingent, including new coach Gus Bradley, owner Shahid Khan and Khan’s son. The Philadelphia Eagles also had a large group in attendance, but Chip Kelly was absent. Head coach Mike Tomlin and General Manager Kevin Colbert attended for the Pittsburgh Steelers, as did Buffalo Bills GM Buddy Nix. Cleveland Browns scout Donovan Beidelschies did a very good job of working out the West Virginia lineman. In all, 16 players worked out for pro day, held indoors on FieldTurf on March 14.

Tavon Austin, WR (173 lbs) — Austin wasn’t measured and didn’t run any timed drills, but he excelled during the positional workouts. Austin displayed great quickness during the wide receiver drills. One of the NFL teams present had a special teams coach work Austin out as a kick returner.

logs.nfl.com/2013/03/17/jaguars-eagles-make-presence-known-at-wvu-pro-day/

Who else do you think they were looking at but Tavon Austin?!

kan_t
03-18-2013, 06:25 AM
If they trade back, he's my pick.

bornaSteelersfan
03-18-2013, 07:23 AM
If they trade back, he's my pick.

I don't know if he will be there. The Rams need a receiver badly now and if they don't take him at #16 before us, they may at #22. The Packers (lost Jennings) and The Texans at #26 and #27 respectively also need receivers. What team are we going to trade back with?

teegre
03-18-2013, 07:28 AM
I don't know if he will be there. The Rams need a receiver badly now and if they don't take him at #16 before us, they may at #22. The Packers (lost Jennings) and The Texans at #26 and #27 respectively also need receivers. What team are we going to trade back with?

Yep. I think he goes #16.

steelfury02
03-18-2013, 07:47 AM
size and speed are both over hyped at times

we all would still love a physical specimen at WR that is going to OWN a secondary and not be afraid to fight for the ball

having a set of flashy smurfs is obviously not the answer - look at what Ravens DBs were able to do the tiny guys on offense - if you're that small and get clocked enough times, you're going to start making business decisions.

tmacsteelerfan
03-18-2013, 11:51 AM
size and speed are both over hyped at times

we all would still love a physical specimen at WR that is going to OWN a secondary and not be afraid to fight for the ball

having a set of flashy smurfs is obviously not the answer - look at what Ravens DBs were able to do the tiny guys on offense - if you're that small and get clocked enough times, you're going to start making business decisions.

Looking at this WR class there's nobody who jumps out and could OWN a secondary like a Julio Jones or AJ Green in these past drafts. Patterson has the potential, but at this point with how raw he is I think it's clear that on day 1, Tavon will come in as the better football player. Not to say Patterson won't be great, or Woods, Rodgers, Allen, etc won't excel in the NFL, but that big physical WR we all want to come in and be our number 1 on the outside may not even exist in this draft. I think injuries would be the only thing that could prevent him from developing into a top 3 "slot" WR in the league.

Hawaii 5-0
03-21-2013, 11:24 PM
DRAFT GRADES FOR TOP 10 BY POSITION - WIDE RECEIVERS

By Lance Zierlein
March 21, 2013

WIDE RECEIVER RANKINGS

Cordarrelle Patterson Tennessee 1st
Tavon Austin West Virginia 1st
DeAndre Hopkins Clemson 1st
Keenan Allen California 1st/2nd
Justin Hunter Tennessee 2nd
Robert Woods USC 2nd
Quinton Patton La. Tech 2nd
Aaron Dobson Marshall 2nd/3rd
Markus Wheaton Oregon St. 2nd/3rd
Da'Rick Rogers Tennessee Tech 2nd/3rd

ANALYSIS

Cordarrelle Patterson has the size and speed that teams salivate over, but I can't shake the feeling that we could be looking at the next Troy Williamson (South Carolina WR who was drafted with 7th overall pick and busted). I absolutely love his big play ability, but he's still raw. Hard to overlook his high-end traits though.

Tavon Austin will succeed in the NFL. He is a football player. He just needs the right coach and right scheme to get the most out of his talents. It would be a waste to just plug him in as a slot wide receiver considering how versatile he is with the ball in his hands. He should come in right away and get 5+ TDs.

DeAndre Hopkins would be the first WR taken in this draft if he had better long speed. I don't care that he runs in the 4.5s because when he plays the game, he shows football speed and plenty of it. Hopkins can get separation on short, intermediate and deep routes and he competes. I think he has a chance to be the best WR in this draft.

I'm a big fan of Keenan Allen's toughness, size and ability to operate over the middle of the field. He's not afraid to take a hit and has the frame to handle it. While many WRs get grades based on their measurables, Allen gets his with the way that he plays the game.

Justin Hunter is a little of both. It is hard to get around his drop rate of 12.1%. That is a mess. What is undeniable is Hunter's elite combination of size and speed. At 6'4, he's a legitimate 4.4 WR who can attack defenses down the field. He's got production and measurables on his side, but he's got a low floor so beware.

Robert Woods was so good in 2011 that you have to give that season fair consideration while watching him in 2012. He was banged up in 2012 so I don't think we saw the real Woods. For his size, he's got good quickness into his routes. His ankle problems are a concern though on draft day and could cause him to fall. Quinton Patton is said to be the biggest talker in college football and has the confidence that would make Michael Irvin proud. Like Irvin, he's not a premier athlete, but he's really good after the catch and plays bigger than his 6'0 height.

Marshall's Aaron Dobson has been my most intriguing draft prospect of any WR since I started the process. I see a big guy who is really good at using that size down the field. He high points the ball well, runs well and can make tough catches. I think his game will really translate well for teams looking for a vertical big man.

While he isn't a big guy, Markus Wheaton can handle himself as an outside receiver. He has legit, sprinter's speed and plays to his timed speed on the field. Wheaton is a fierce competitor who will get after CBs in the run game as well. Da'Rick Rogers has the talent to be a top five WR, but there are some teams who have downgraded him for his off-field issues. It will be interesting to see if teams draft the prospect (2nd round) or the guy (3rd/4th due to character).

http://www.thesidelineview.com/columns/draft/draft-grades-top-10-position-wide-receivers

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-21-2013, 11:31 PM
Looking at this WR class there's nobody who jumps out and could OWN a secondary like a Julio Jones or AJ Green in these past drafts. Patterson has the potential, but at this point with how raw he is I think it's clear that on day 1, Tavon will come in as the better football player. Not to say Patterson won't be great, or Woods, Rodgers, Allen, etc won't excel in the NFL, but that big physical WR we all want to come in and be our number 1 on the outside may not even exist in this draft. I think injuries would be the only thing that could prevent him from developing into a top 3 "slot" WR in the league.

I dont really think Julio Jones or AJ Green own any secondary that I have seen.

Austin will be like Reggie Bush. Big hype in college, a good pro, but nothing spectacular in the NFL. I hope he goes top 5 so we dont have a chance to take him. Just like when everybody thought we needed to get Tyson Jackson.

Steel_Bus_24
03-22-2013, 05:39 AM
I dont really think Julio Jones or AJ Green own any secondary that I have seen.

Austin will be like Reggie Bush. Big hype in college, a good pro, but nothing spectacular in the NFL. I hope he goes top 5 so we dont have a chance to take him. Just like when everybody thought we needed to get Tyson Jackson.

True, and I really like austin.... just not anywhere near the top of the draft......If we trade back an pick up some extra picks then Id be more ok with it

Steeler7BR
03-22-2013, 06:31 AM
True, and I really like austin.... just not anywhere near the top of the draft......If we trade back an pick up some extra picks then Id be more ok with it

I wouldn't want Austin here simply to the fact that we have Sanders and that we wouldn't install schemes for him that frequently that he's worth the pick.

But it makes no sence to say he is not worth a high pick. It's just a case of how you wanna use him and how frequently you want it to be. If a team says I wanna have him in the slot and throw to him about 7-10 times a game and I wanna use him in the backfield for a few runs and maybe screens, he is absolutly a guy to draft high. If for example the Jaguars want to install more spread plays and want Austin to strech the field get a few runs I don't have a problem them taking him at 2. It's just about how valueble he is to you. That he's a very versitile player is obvious and that he could make an offense much more variable.

Steel_Bus_24
03-22-2013, 07:13 AM
I wouldn't want Austin here simply to the fact that we have Sanders and that we wouldn't install schemes for him that frequently that he's worth the pick.

But it makes no sence to say he is not worth a high pick. It's just a case of how you wanna use him and how frequently you want it to be. If a team says I wanna have him in the slot and throw to him about 7-10 times a game and I wanna use him in the backfield for a few runs and maybe screens, he is absolutly a guy to draft high. If for example the Jaguars want to install more spread plays and want Austin to strech the field get a few runs I don't have a problem them taking him at 2. It's just about how valueble he is to you. That he's a very versitile player is obvious and that he could make an offense much more variable.

Unless a WR is a megatron/Andre Johnson/Larry Fittz......Im not drafting a WR in the top 3/4 of a draft

While I do like Austin....I have a hard time believing he's going to be that type of a threat. And even if he does set the league on fire Im not spending the cap space to pay him top WR dollars after his rookie contract. Thats too much money to be tied up in a WR

Steeler7BR
03-22-2013, 07:32 AM
Unless a WR is a megatron/Andre Johnson/Larry Fittz......Im not drafting a WR in the top 3/4 of a draft

While I do like Austin....I have a hard time believing he's going to be that type of a threat. And even if he does set the league on fire Im not spending the cap space to pay him top WR dollars after his rookie contract. Thats too much money to be tied up in a WR

I don't understand why theres a problem. You draft a player that will make your offense way more versitale give you a thousand more options and give you I don't know maybe let's say Harvin type of numbers. At least that is his potential and he has much lower risk then some of that DEs/OLBs everybody projects to be high overall picks.

And the fact that you wont draft a player because you don't wanna pay him after 3-4 years is just ridiculous. Sry but nobody puts thoughts on that when you draft a rookie. You pay him the contract that he is worth and thats it. If he is 25 then and a beast in your offense then wheres the problem to pay the guy?

pete74
03-22-2013, 08:57 AM
I like Austin I just wouldn't take him at 17. If I'm picking that early Iwant a tall fast pphysical WR. I wouldn't complain if we traded back and took him but personally I think we have the same chance of getting a starting caliber WR in the 2nd round
I like Patterson in round 1 but he has flaws as well. I saw some game tape on him jumping up over two defenders to make a catch and was impressed

ebsteelers
03-22-2013, 09:06 AM
i'd prefer
a jarvis jones round 1
justin hunter/robert wood round 2 combo

over austin in round 1 and someone else in round 2.

like others have said he is alot like the wide outs we already have..

can we get someone big, and physical?

what about da rick rogers?

fer522
03-22-2013, 09:28 AM
I'd get cobi Hamilton from Arkansas he's 6'3 and we could get him in R5/6
He had 90 catches for over 1300 yards playing in the SEC with a team that went through a lot of shit last year

Grav
03-25-2013, 01:14 PM
See him being mocked to us in the latest draft on NFL website

pete74
03-25-2013, 01:21 PM
See him being mocked to us in the latest draft on NFL website

The one thing Illearned over the years is whoever NFL.com has us taking, we never take. Ihave cchecked them for years and never remember them ever getting us right.

Grav
03-25-2013, 01:25 PM
would love Austin in all fairness

Hawaii 5-0
03-25-2013, 02:23 PM
would love Austin in all fairness

Tavon Austin is the most dynamic playmaker in this draft.

Grav
03-25-2013, 02:32 PM

would you be happy with him? See him being a Steelers pick?

Hawaii 5-0
03-25-2013, 02:34 PM
would you be happy with him? See him being a Steelers pick?

absolutely, Austin would be able to help us not only as a slot receiver but on special teams as well.

teegre
03-25-2013, 03:18 PM

Yep.

2,100 all-purpose yards (& 9 TDs) per season...
...like the love-child of Joshua Cribbs & Darren Sproles.

tmacsteelerfan
04-10-2013, 12:41 PM
I've been swaying away from this pick recently but after we lose Emmanual, will any of us still have a problem with drafting another undersized WR?

While I was feeling Jones in the first, I don't think it be possible to pass up Austin.

My biggest concern is the St. Louis Rams because they're definitely targeting Vacarro and Austin, it's just which one they'll take first.

Varg
04-10-2013, 02:23 PM
No matter who it is in the 1st, I think as steeler fans we are going to be very happy. Vacarro, Brown, Austin, or Jones. If for some crazy reason all of these people are off the board, trade down and get Elam.

desertsteel
04-10-2013, 06:04 PM
If Austin were 6'0" he would be the number one overall pick. But sometimes shorter and compact can work in the favor of a player dependent on the style they play. Personally, I have no problem with TA being 5'8 1/2".

Hawaii 5-0
04-11-2013, 02:39 AM
Tavon Austin’s pre-draft dance card is full

Posted by Mike Florio on April 10, 2013

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/austin.jpg?w=226

How much interest has West Virginia receiver Tavon Austin generated among NFL teams? So much that he has had to decline some invitations for pre-draft visits.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Austin has visited or will visit the Rams, Bengals, Buccaneers, 49ers, and Jets.

The Jets are an intriguing option, given that they hold the ninth overall pick in the draft — and could end up with the 13th overall selection.

Austin’s floor could be No. 16 to the Rams, a team that desperately needs playmakers.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/10/tavon-austins-pre-draft-dance-card-is-full/

SteelersCanada
04-13-2013, 09:43 AM
I'm not going to lie to you, I have my concerns with this kid. I know teegre is going to be upset with me, but hear me out for a second.

He's 5'8 178 pounds. That's little. In fact, other than Darren Sproles, I don't know any other receiver that has had any great success being that size. That size screams to me he can't be a legitimate number one or even number two receiver in the NFL. He'd have to put on significant size which would take away from his greatest asset - his speed.

He's a role player. He's going to be outstanding as a special teams player and as a scat-type player, but I don't know if I'm comfortable taking that kind of player in the first round. In all honesty, I'd be more comfortable taking someone like DeAndre Hopkins in the first.

Maybe I'm being a little too harsh on the kid but I don't know if a role player and scat-type player is worth a first round pick.

pete74
04-13-2013, 09:45 AM
I'm not going to lie to you, I have my concerns with this kid. I know teegre is going to be upset with me, but hear me out for a second.

He's 5'8 178 pounds. That's little. In fact, other than Darren Sproles, I don't know any other receiver that has had any great success being that size. That size screams to me he can't be a legitimate number one or even number two receiver in the NFL. He'd have to put on significant size which would take away from his greatest asset - his speed.

He's a role player. He's going to be outstanding as a special teams player and as a scat-type player, but I don't know if I'm comfortable taking that kind of player in the first round. In all honesty, I'd be more comfortable taking someone like DeAndre Hopkins in the first.

Maybe I'm being a little too harsh on the kid but I don't know if this kid is worth a first round pick.

I agree with you plus I love Hopkins

SteelersCanada
04-13-2013, 10:10 AM
I agree with you plus I love Hopkins

I think that he's being overlooked, honestly. I wouldn't mind Hopkins at 17.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
04-13-2013, 12:24 PM

Agreed, although many might considered it a reach but I would not mind Hopkins in the first. I really want him on our team and don't believe he would last till round 2 so it's a possibility.

pete74
04-13-2013, 12:44 PM

I agree. If they felt he would be there in the 20's I wouldn't mind trading back, taking him and picking up another 2nd round pick in the process

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-13-2013, 01:57 PM
I really don't want a WR in the 1st. If its Patterson, then OK, but very few WR's worthy of reaching into the 1st round for.

Sinorice Moss thinks most guys have 1st round bust potential. :sarcasm:

teegre
04-13-2013, 02:43 PM
Chargers fans will tell you: Darren Sproles was worth a R1 pick. In fact, when he was released, Drew Brees BEGGED the Saints to pick him up.

All-purpose yards.

I foresee Austin averaging 2100 yards (& 9 TDs) per season. That's 35 yards receiving, 25 yards rushing, and 70 return yards per game (plus a TD every other game, as well as one on ST).

bornaSteelersfan
04-13-2013, 09:36 PM

Maybe I'm being a little too harsh on the kid but I don't know if a role player and scat-type player is worth a first round pick.

I cannot fault your logic. Here is mine. EVERY player is a "role player"! The Steelers do not have a good return man right now. Tavon Austin would be able to start on day 1 in that role. He would make Rainey look like a Pop Warner return guy. In Haley's quick-pass offense, he would be incredible. Put him in motion and get him the ball to see what he can do. I understand that he is small, but he is also durable. He played 4 years in college with no major injury. I also love that he seems to truly enjoy the game. The way he smiles and laughs on the field reminds me of Hines Ward.

With all of that being said, he will not be available at pick number 17 so it truly won't matter.

teegre
04-13-2013, 10:10 PM
I cannot fault your logic. Here is mine. EVERY player is a "role player"! The Steelers do not have a good return man right now. Tavon Austin would be able to start on day 1 in that role. He would make Rainey look like a Pop Warner return guy. In Haley's quick-pass offense, he would be incredible. Put him in motion and get him the ball to see what he can do. I understand that he is small, but he is also durable. He played 4 years in college with no major injury. I also love that he seems to truly enjoy the game. The way he smiles and laughs on the field reminds me of Hines Ward.

With all of that being said, he will not be available at pick number 17 so it truly won't matter.

I agree with all of that... especially the last part (he won't be there at 17); thus, those who don't want him need not worry: the Steelers won't have the opportunity to draft him... (rendering this discussion moot).

Hence, lets discuss... I don't know... Jarvis Jones versus Kenny Vaccaro.

SteelersCanada
04-14-2013, 12:28 AM

AB had 1000 yards returning two years ago. We need him back on kick / punt returns.

You bring up some good points. I mean I wouldn't be unhappy with him at 17, it's just I have some question marks for him. There are red flags but you brought up some good counters.

SteelersCanada
04-18-2013, 10:32 AM
Tavon Austin Wonderlic Score: West Virginia Receiver Reportedly Scores a 7

Josh Sanchez

West Virginia Mountaineers star wide receiver Tavon Austin is consistently rated as the No. 1 receiver in the 2013 NFL Draft class. Teams and scouts are falling in love with Austin as a prospect because of his incredible quickness. There are some well-respected draft analysts that call Austin the quickest player they have ever evaluated.

Austin has the skill set to succeed in the NFL and looks to be a dynamic playmaker for whatever team makes him their selections.

Up until now, there have not been many concerns surrounding Austin as a prospect, but in a report from Bob McGinn in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, it is being reported that Austin received an awful score of 7 on the Wonderlic test.

That’s not ideal for a NFL player at any position.

However, for some reason, it looks like scouts aren’t worried about Austin’s ability to pick up an offense because of his willingness to stick his nose in a playbook and study.

“He’s not a quick study and it will take him a little time,” one personnel director told McGinn in his report. “He will work at it. He cares greatly about it.”

Austin didn’t perform poorly in interviews, so teams feel a lot more comfortable taking what could be a “mental risk.” He’s a hard worker that loves the game of football and everyone feels comfortable knowing that he will work his hardest to live up to his potential.

We will find out for sure if his low Wonderlic score will hurt his draft stock next week. We wouldn’t expect it to do any damage.

http://fansided.com/2013/04/18/tavon-austin-wonderlic-score-west-virginia-receiver-reportedly-scores-a-7/

VaDave
04-18-2013, 10:43 AM
The Wonderlic scores are supposed to be confidential. I don't know about anybody else, but I've not seen a direct correlation between ones score and their ability to play football. Now, if the NFL used a standard IQ test in conjunction with a Myers-Briggs test , it would give you a clearer picture.

desertsteel
04-18-2013, 10:53 AM
The Wonderlic scores are supposed to be confidential. I don't know about anybody else, but I've not seen a direct correlation between ones score and their ability to play football. Now, if the NFL used a standard IQ test in conjunction with a Myers-Briggs test , it would give you a clearer picture.

Vince Young also scored a 7. There's your correlation.

EDIT: Young actually scored a 6.

VaDave
04-18-2013, 10:55 AM
That's one out of how many?

desertsteel
04-18-2013, 10:58 AM
That's one out of how many?

I actually recall plenty of others over the years. I will do a little research later and post back. I'm very familiar with the wonderlic, having administered it many times as well as taken it several times. I think it reveals much ore about one's intelligence than you realize.

desertsteel
04-18-2013, 11:02 AM
Jeff George scored a 10.

Bane
04-18-2013, 11:29 AM
Vince Young also scored a 7. There's your correlation.

EDIT: Young actually scored a 6.

Correlation does necessarily not equal causation.

Ryan Fitzpatrick scored a 48.

Frank Gore scored a 6.

Dan Marino scored a 15.

Terry Bradshaw scored a 16.

Cordarrelle's apparent low score is eye-popping simply because of all the other red-flags that have been popping up around him. But, his actual ability in the NFL remains to be seen. Different places with different players.

teegre
04-18-2013, 04:30 PM
A seven!?! Wow, that's a great score. I wish that I had scored that high. Seven is good, right?
Sincerely,
Dexter Manley

Really though, while a low score is a knock against any player, it's not the end of the world. It's like a bad 40 time: merely a measurement (that may or may not correlate to success in the NFL).

Speaking of which. I took the Wonderlic (for fun) and got a 49... but, my stupid inability to actually play top-tier football has kept me out of the NFL. Actually, I blame Goodell.

VaDave
04-18-2013, 04:36 PM
I actually recall plenty of others over the years. I will do a little research later and post back. I'm very familiar with the wonderlic, having administered it many times as well as taken it several times. I think it reveals much ore about one's intelligence than you realize.

If you are familiar with Wonderlick, I'm sure you are also familiar with better tests, with more predictable results. As test is only as good as the one taking it. If they are not taking it serious, as many players have stated over the years, or do not answer it honestly, the results are worthless. Personality, work ethic, combined with talent, is a better indicator of success than straight up intelligence. JMO.

desertsteel
04-18-2013, 04:52 PM
If you are familiar with Wonderlick, I'm sure you are also familiar with better tests, with more predictable results. As test is only as good as the one taking it. If they are not taking it serious, as many players have stated over the years, or do not answer it honestly, the results are worthless. Personality, work ethic, combined with talent, is a better indicator of success than straight up intelligence. JMO.

Believe me, they take it serious. Their agents prep them for it repeatedly. The ones who score in single digits are just too stupid to pass. "I didn't take it serious" is just a way to save face after the media gets the results.

And they already have evidence of work ethic and talent.

SteelersCanada
04-18-2013, 04:56 PM
Speaking of which. I took the Wonderlic (for fun) and got a 49... but, my stupid inability to actually play top-tier football has kept me out of the NFL. Actually, I blame Goodell.

I laughed out loud. :hatsoff:

teegre
04-18-2013, 05:52 PM
I laughed out loud. :hatsoff:

:drink:

VaDave
04-19-2013, 07:26 AM
A seven!?! Wow, that's a great score. I wish that I had scored that high. Seven is good, right?
Sincerely,
Dexter Manley

Really though, while a low score is a knock against any player, it's not the end of the world. It's like a bad 40 time: merely a measurement (that may or may not correlate to success in the NFL).

Great post T!! LOL!!!

teegre
04-19-2013, 07:45 AM
Great post T!! LOL!!!

I try, brother... I try. :hatsoff:

Buddha Bus
04-19-2013, 07:55 AM

That, and your history of full-time stalking of Matt Elam. :chuckle:

teegre
04-19-2013, 08:41 AM
That, and your history of full-time stalking of Matt Elam. :chuckle:

I was told that, during the combine interviews, that it was unethical to ask questions about my "personal relations" w/ Matt Elam.

They asked. I was honest. And, here I sit...

Stupid honesty.

Buddha Bus
04-19-2013, 08:45 AM
I was told that, during the combine interviews, that it was unethical to ask questions about my "personal relations" w/ Matt Elam.

They asked. I was honest. And, here I sit...

Stupid honesty.

Well... if you would just stab him to death I'm sure the Ravens would invite you to camp. :noidea:

teegre
04-19-2013, 09:52 AM
Well... if you would just stab him to death I'm sure the Ravens would invite you to camp. :noidea:

Them... or, I could play RB for the Bills (allegedly).

Buddha Bus
04-19-2013, 09:58 AM
Them... or, I could play RB for the Bills (allegedly).

Or if you shoot him, you could play opposite Steve Smith as a WR for the Carolina Panthers. There are options.

teegre
04-19-2013, 10:02 AM
Or if you shoot him, you could play opposite Steve Smith as a WR for the Carolina Panthers. There are options.

Ha, ha, ha... well played. That was a good one. :applaudit:

Really though, I'm going to get some hookers & blow... and play... well... I could play just about ANY position for the Cowboys.

Buddha Bus
04-19-2013, 10:07 AM

Really though, I'm going to get some hookers & blow... and play... well... I could play just about ANY position for the Cowboys.

QB seems like a no-brainer. The position's been vacant for 13 years.

VaDave
04-19-2013, 10:15 AM
QB seems like a no-brainer. The position's been vacant for 13 years.

LOL!!!

Bane
04-19-2013, 01:52 PM

Do some heroin and acid and you'll likely wind up team owner/GM/Victoria's Secret store owner/2 billion dollar dance arena owner.

teegre
04-19-2013, 03:06 PM
Do some heroin and acid and you'll likely wind up team owner/GM/Victoria's Secret store owner/2 billion dollar dance arena owner.

That's already my day job... I'm looking form something to do on the weekends.

Hawaii 5-0
04-25-2013, 02:18 PM
Top 10 for Tavon?

Posted by Mike Florio on April 25, 2013

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/austin3.jpg?w=224

He’s small, but he’s an impact player. As one G.M. privately put it at the Scouting Combine, “He runs like he has a rocket in his ass.”

West Virginia receiver Tavon Austin could be riding that rocket all the way to the top 10.

Currently, Austin’s sweet spot widely is believed to be somewhere between 13 with the Jets and 16 with the Rams. As the start of the draft approaches, that range could be going up, into the bottom of the first 10 picks.

One source who has demonstrated to us in the past that he is as plugged in as anyone when the draft approaches believes that Austin will indeed be one of the first 10 players selected.

Whether the source is right or wrong will be determined soon. Either way, it’ll be fun to watch.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/25/top-10-for-tavon/

ebsteelers
04-25-2013, 03:17 PM
Top 10 for Tavon?

Posted by Mike Florio on April 25, 2013

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/austin3.jpg?w=224

He’s small, but he’s an impact player. As one G.M. privately put it at the Scouting Combine, “He runs like he has a rocket in his ass.”
West Virginia receiver Tavon Austin could be riding that rocket all the way to the top 10.

Currently, Austin’s sweet spot widely is believed to be somewhere between 13 with the Jets and 16 with the Rams. As the start of the draft approaches, that range could be going up, into the bottom of the first 10 picks.

One source who has demonstrated to us in the past that he is as plugged in as anyone when the draft approaches believes that Austin will indeed be one of the first 10 players selected.

Whether the source is right or wrong will be determined soon. Either way, it’ll be fun to watch.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/25/top-10-for-tavon/

hint at the first gay football player?

TRH
04-25-2013, 04:56 PM
i'm completely sold. He's a PLAYMAKER - big time. But he'll be looooooooooooong gone by the time our turn comes around.

desertsteel
04-25-2013, 05:22 PM
Trade up! Could happen if be hits 13.

TRH
04-25-2013, 05:32 PM
Schefter just said there's NO way possible Austin gets even out of the top 10. He also said his sources tell him that he's the #1 athlete/player on the board for many teams, a very surprising discovery. 90% of the time he's right.
This kid's ultra-dynamic but i'm not even thinking of him or worrying about it since he'll be a long time gone.

teegre
04-25-2013, 05:37 PM
Schefter just said there's NO way possible Austin gets even out of the top 10. He also said his sources tell him that he's the #1 athlete/player on the board for many teams, a very surprising discovery. 90% of the time he's right.
This kid's ultra-dynamic but i'm not even thinking of him or worrying about it since he'll be a long time gone.

Yep: best playmaker in the draft. He'll be like Sproles (averaging 2100 all-purpose yards per season).

Yep: long gone by 17. (So, those "worried" about drafting him, can rest easy; he'll be someone else's "problem.")

lloydwoodson
04-25-2013, 06:23 PM
I think Austin goes to the Bills. Austin is what Barry Sanders would have looked like if Barry Sanders played receiver. Austin's ability to change direction reminds me of Barry. God damn Austin is quick.

Austin + Spiller on the same team is scary.... too bad the Bills don't have a quarterback.