PDA

View Full Version : Willie Colon in Pittsburgh Steelers' plans, agent says

Hawaii 5-0
03-07-2013, 02:09 PM
Willie Colon in Pittsburgh Steelers' plans, agent says

By Marc Sessler
Around the League Writer
Published: March 7, 2013

The Pittsburgh Steelers were expected to part ways with Willie Colon, but it appears the left guard isn't going anywhere for the time being.

Colon's agent, Joe Linta, told Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that the Steelers' front office said they aren't planning to do anything with the veteran's contract and have not requested a pay cut.

Colon, 29, is set to earn $5.5 million next season as part of the five-year, $29 million contract he signed in 2011. The sense around the Steelers was that Colon would be cut as Pittsburgh sought to overhaul its offensive front with more athletic and durable linemen. Colon has started only 13 games over the past two years and wound up on injured reserve for the third straight season in 2012.

The Steelers have been tinkering with their line for years. They have young talent at guard in David DeCastro and are high on Kelvin Beachum as a potential answer inside. Colon is safe for now, but it wouldn't be a surprise to see the Steelers come calling about a reduction in pay before the season starts -- if he lasts that long.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000147612/article/willie-colon-in-pittsburgh-steelers-plans-agent-says

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-07-2013, 03:12 PM
I thought for sure they would look for some cap relief from Colon. Interesting if nothing happens.

Hawaii....I dig the Robert Woods pick. I think his name will be heard more often as April approaches.

MACH1
03-07-2013, 03:16 PM
They may not be talking to him because they plan on cutting him?

harrison'samonster
03-07-2013, 03:21 PM
when Colon is good he's a great mauler, but too many penalties and too much time spent on injured reserve. That being said, if he's the weak link on the OL that's not too bad

steelax04
03-07-2013, 03:47 PM
They may not be talking to him because they plan on cutting him?

What's the cap relief on cutting him?

harrison'samonster
03-07-2013, 03:54 PM
What's the cap relief on cutting him?

there's been some confusion, but I believe we would save 1.5 million. He's due 5.5 and the cap hit on cutting him at this point would be somewhere around 4 million, but that's all just from memory and I could be wrong. I don't know what cutting him after June 1st would change.

tony hipchest
03-07-2013, 04:20 PM
there's been some confusion, but I believe we would save 1.5 million. He's due 5.5 and the cap hit on cutting him at this point would be somewhere around 4 million, but that's all just from memory and I could be wrong. I don't know what cutting him after June 1st would change.cutting him after june 1 would allow us to spread the cap hit for paid bonus money over 2 years.

truesteelerfan
03-07-2013, 04:36 PM
He's no good to us when he can't play due to injury - Let him go. He filled in fine last year at guard, but too high of a risk for an average reward based on how much to be paid, and how often he might play IMO.

TheVet
03-07-2013, 04:44 PM
when Colon is good he's a great mauler, but too many penalties and too much time spent on injured reserve. That being said, if he's the weak link on the OL that's not too bad

I agree. Without Colon, we absolutely need to make a move to acquire a guard. But he's kind of expensive as a weak link, so this is surprising. I suppose that a pay cut could always happen later?

Maybe this is insurance in case they can't fill the position via the draft. Remember all the years they were willing to overpay for Starks (during his pre-productive period).

VaDave
03-07-2013, 04:58 PM
True, we've only got ten games out of this guy over the last seasons, yeah he is a mauler ( much better suited for RG in our offense IMO), and yep, prone to penalties, but we got a ton of bucks tied up in this kid. I still contend his ultimate fate will be determined if Cooper is available @ 17. We'll see.

pete74
03-07-2013, 05:03 PM
I think we keep him. To much dead money if not even en cutting him June 1st and spreading it over two years

VaDave
03-07-2013, 05:04 PM
That could very well be the case Pete.

FrancoLambert
03-07-2013, 05:09 PM
If we keep him it better be as a backup.

He can fill that role nicely.

As a starter...same old......same old.

We know what we'll get.

TheVet
03-07-2013, 05:16 PM
I really wish we could have seen a healthy Colon at OG for one full year, just to know what he's capable of once he's learned the position. Perhaps he could get the penalties under control after he's got a handle on things.

The injuries have been really frustrating; it's hard to know whether it's just a bad run of luck, or whether this is the way it will always be. I guess if I'm a front office guy, I'd be looking hard at the draft. At a certain point, you need to move.

VaDave
03-07-2013, 05:19 PM

We know what we'll get.

At 2-3 mil a year or what ever, that's a pretty expensive back up.

VaDave
03-07-2013, 05:21 PM
I really wish we could have seen a healthy Colon at OG for one full year, just to know what he's capable of once he's learned the position. Perhaps he could get the penalties under control after he's got a handle on things.

The injuries have been really frustrating; it's hard to know whether it's just a bad run of luck, or whether this is the way it will always be. I guess if I'm a front office guy, I'd be looking hard at the draft. At a certain point, you need to move.

Well on thing we did find out with him at guard is he's a little slow to run our counter 34 pike. I'm thinking Willie may be better suited to RG where in our offense, he wouldn't be required to run as much and as far.

TheVet
03-07-2013, 05:43 PM
Well, we'll just need to see with the coaching staff and FO has in mind. Honestly, I'm just hoping that somehow we get lucky enough to grab Cooper and move past this entire dilemma.

tony hipchest
03-07-2013, 06:49 PM
just so everyone understands-

if we cut colon we only get $1.5 mil of cap releif because we are on the hook for $6 million of his bonus (he counts $7.5 mil against the cap).

if we cut him, we will still wind up paying somebody about $1.5 million adequate enough to replace him.

its not worth it to cut him at this point. anyone else we get for the same price would be a rookie or downgrade in talent and experience.

TheVet
03-08-2013, 03:52 AM
Interesting numbers, Tony. If that's accurate, then why the heck are all these journalists reporting that Colon was expected to go? The numbers certainly argue against that.

PhantomJB93
03-08-2013, 04:17 AM

We know what we'll get.

Why would you want him to be a backup so bad? When he was healthy last season (which I know wasn't often) he was probably our best lineman and the games where he was healthy were the only games where we had any semblance of a running game...

Foster, Legursky, and Beachum are hardly better options, and if we really get no cap relief by cutting him there's no reason for him not to be our starting LG day one.

bornaSteelersfan
03-08-2013, 04:30 AM
Willie Colon is a beast and may have single handedly jumpstarted our offense this past season.

http://i.imgur.com/jogCb.gif

Millers the sh!t
03-08-2013, 06:19 AM
Fuck the colon. Bend the colon over and fuck the colon dry. Keep Starks

They want to renegotiate with Harrison. A fucking game changer, pro bowler, the man can still play and produce but they won't even ask Willie colitis to take a cut? Fuck that!

wwhickok
03-08-2013, 06:46 AM
Colon is an injurt prone beast if a beast at all. Id say he i bmore of a small puppy dog that growls and barks every once in a while....Sorta like a fat chihuahua.

austinfrench76
03-08-2013, 12:37 PM
Ok. They must have money we don't know about or have a big cut coming. Probably Harrison.

austinfrench76
03-08-2013, 12:39 PM
Gilbert-Colon-Pouncey-Decastro-Adams...not to ad. With Legs and Beachum as backups!

Millers the sh!t
03-08-2013, 12:46 PM
Gilbert-Colon-Pouncey-Decastro-Adams...not to ad. With Legs and Beachum as backups!

Legursky is better than most of our starters. Let's see what DeCastro can actually do this season.

TheVet
03-08-2013, 03:00 PM
Why would you want him to be a backup so bad? When he was healthy last season (which I know wasn't often) he was probably our best lineman and the games where he was healthy were the only games where we had any semblance of a running game...

Foster, Legursky, and Beachum are hardly better options, and if we really get no cap relief by cutting him there's no reason for him not to be our starting LG day one.

Willie Colon was our best lineman last year??? :rofl:

On a good NFL OL, Colon really should be a backup. Otherwise, he's a weak link. He is the best option we have now at LG, but he's still learning the position, and could easily be surpassed by Beachum. Ideally we draft a LG and solve the problem.

Hawaii 5-0
03-09-2013, 05:06 PM
I wonder if Colon gets cut after June 1st if we end up re-signing Foster?

Steelers told Ramon Foster they will make him an offer

By Neal Coolong on Mar 9 2013

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/9368073/154541629.0_standard_500.0.jpg

The Steelers have leaned on offensive guard Ramon Foster several times in his four-year tenure in Pittsburgh, and they're asking him to hold out a little while longer before they make him an offer. Other teams are pursuing the versatile guard, though.

Mark Kaboly of the Tribune-Review reported the Steelers told Joel Segal they would eventually make unrestricted free agent guard Ramon Foster an offer when the Steelers have a better grasp on their current finances.

Reports circulated about the possibility of moving second-year lineman Kelvin Beachum from tackle to guard this coming season, amid the possibility the Steelers would be without both players who started at the two guard positions in Week 1 of the 2012 season. Left guard Willie Colon wasn't released before the beginning of the contact period of free agency, but still could be a post-June 1 cut.

The selection of David DeCastro in the 2012 NFL Draft led to the logical assumption Foster would not be retained after his restricted free agency year in 2012. DeCastro was injured in the third preseason game, and missed nearly the entire season. Foster started all 16 games for the Steelers - 13 games at right guard, and three at left guard.

Arizona, Tennessee and the New York Giants are allegedly interested in Foster's services, and he may sign with any of them or any other team come Tuesday, the official start to the free agency period.

Teams may negotiate with representatives of players between Saturday and Tuesday, but no contracts can be signed.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/3/9/4082242/steelers-free-agency-2013-ramon-foster-depth-chart-offensive-line/in/3614167

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-09-2013, 06:21 PM
I wonder if Colon gets cut after June 1st if we end up re-signing Foster?

Steelers told Ramon Foster they will make him an offer

By Neal Coolong on Mar 9 2013

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/9368073/154541629.0_standard_500.0.jpg

The Steelers have leaned on offensive guard Ramon Foster several times in his four-year tenure in Pittsburgh, and they're asking him to hold out a little while longer before they make him an offer. Other teams are pursuing the versatile guard, though.

Mark Kaboly of the Tribune-Review reported the Steelers told Joel Segal they would eventually make unrestricted free agent guard Ramon Foster an offer when the Steelers have a better grasp on their current finances.

Reports circulated about the possibility of moving second-year lineman Kelvin Beachum from tackle to guard this coming season, amid the possibility the Steelers would be without both players who started at the two guard positions in Week 1 of the 2012 season. Left guard Willie Colon wasn't released before the beginning of the contact period of free agency, but still could be a post-June 1 cut.

The selection of David DeCastro in the 2012 NFL Draft led to the logical assumption Foster would not be retained after his restricted free agency year in 2012. DeCastro was injured in the third preseason game, and missed nearly the entire season. Foster started all 16 games for the Steelers - 13 games at right guard, and three at left guard.

Arizona, Tennessee and the New York Giants are allegedly interested in Foster's services, and he may sign with any of them or any other team come Tuesday, the official start to the free agency period.

Teams may negotiate with representatives of players between Saturday and Tuesday, but no contracts can be signed.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/3/9/4082242/steelers-free-agency-2013-ramon-foster-depth-chart-offensive-line/in/3614167

I'm fine if they sign Foster, release Colon and go with Beechum and Legursky as backups.

If there is no real cap savings in releasing Colon, then he would likely be an expensive backup for a year, which might work too. I'm fine with Foster going forward, but the haters will disagree.

SteelersCanada
03-09-2013, 06:57 PM
We save 5.5 million on the cap if we cut him after June 1st which is exactly what is going to happen.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-09-2013, 07:33 PM
We save 5.5 million on the cap if we cut him after June 1st which is exactly what is going to happen.

Not according to post #18 in this thread. :noidea:

WokeUpWithaWoodley
03-09-2013, 07:39 PM

What about guard Willie Colon? The Steelers have not asked him to take a pay cut as of yet and I do not find that very surprising. Consider Colon in limbo right now. Cutting him right now really doesn't make any sense as the move only clears $795,000 in cap space after top 51 displacement. The Steelers could wait until after the draft is over and cut Colon with a post June 1st designation which would clear $5.5 million worth of cap space come June 2nd.If they are unable to draft a top guard in the draft, they have Colon to fall back on as their starter. Like I said, consider him in limbo and guaranteed nothing at this point.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/03/steelers-2013-salary-cap-james-harrison-update/

TheVet
03-10-2013, 04:26 AM
I'm fine if they sign Foster, release Colon and go with Beechum and Legursky as backups.

If there is no real cap savings in releasing Colon, then he would likely be an expensive backup for a year, which might work too. I'm fine with Foster going forward, but the haters will disagree.
Not to mention the knowledgeable football fans.

BKAnthem
03-10-2013, 11:37 AM
Legursky is better than most of our starters. Let's see what DeCastro can actually do this season.

:rofl:

Steel95
03-10-2013, 11:44 AM
Please Say It Aint So!

teegre
03-10-2013, 12:05 PM

Agreed... I've read two different versions on The Colon's cap hit.

Hipchest, you know your stuff... what the "real" situation?

OX1947
03-10-2013, 01:16 PM
It's been like one big joke the last few days. Hi, we are releasing Harrison and cutting anyone who mattered and can still play but HEY, we are going to try and resign Willie (bleep) Colon. Thanks. The guy played 10 games in 2 seasons, goes offsides every other play and cant pass block to save his own families life, but hey, we will release the guy who made 70 tackles, 6 sacks in 9 games after having BACK SURGERY and replace him with someone we dont even know can play.

austinfrench76
03-10-2013, 03:27 PM
If they are keeping Colon AND talking to Foster that means it's pretty clear that we are going to load up on the Oline (something that was neglected in the draft for so long it's probably about time). I don't think there's anything wrong with that but we will have alot of money tied up in O lineman. However; I do agree that cutting James and keeping Colon is a head scratcher UNLESS Colon's release wouldn't help the cap situation much. Which appears to be the case.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-10-2013, 09:31 PM
Not to mention the knowledgeable football fans.

"Depending on what happens with Colon next season, the Steelers would be smart to try and head Foster off with a new contract prior to the start of free agency."

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/12/ramon-foster-increased-his-pending-free-agent-value-against-the-browns/

Ramone Foster will not go “Gently into the night.” As i said the Big Ragu is a fighter and he’s been having an excellent camp. Moving into the LG spot for Willie Colon , Foster is playing well and making the most of his practice reps

http://craigwolfley.com/2012/08/more-stuff-from-camp/

I know, when guys like Craig Wolfley and Dave Bryan start saying good things about Ramon Foster, it makes me think they should consult posters like you.

SteelersCanada
03-10-2013, 09:42 PM
Agreed... I've read two different versions on The Colon's cap hit.

Hipchest, you know your stuff... what the "real" situation?

"Colon is scheduled to make a base salary of 5.5 million dollars in base salary in 2013. Cutting Colon on June 2nd frees up 5.5 million in cap space, but gives a 4.3 million dollar dead money hit in 2014."

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/02/steelers-willie-colon-grinding-waiting/

-- Cutting him after June 1st saves 5.5 in cap space, but leaves a big dead money hit. Here's the thing, cutting him would likely allow us to resign Lewis. So, it's worth it for the dead money hit in 2014 if we can resign Keenan.

harrison'samonster
03-10-2013, 10:09 PM
-- Cutting him after June 1st saves 5.5 in cap space, but leaves a big dead money hit. Here's the thing, cutting him would likely allow us to resign Lewis. So, it's worth it for the dead money hit in 2014 if we can resign Keenan.

do we have the money to resign Lewis now? As far as I know unless we cut some players in the next two days we won't have any money to sign him. Not sure at all though.

SteelersCanada
03-10-2013, 10:37 PM
do we have the money to resign Lewis now? As far as I know unless we cut some players in the next two days we won't have any money to sign him. Not sure at all though.

We have around 2.73 million in cap room right now. In order to sign all of our rookies, it'll take around 4.9 million to do so. We could theoretically have our first cap hit be around 2.5 million for Keenan Lewis in his first year, but more cuts (Colon after June 1st for example) are going to have to come. But, there's going to have to be more cuts on top of Harrison and Colon though.

There's a missing link in this chain here. There's going to be another "big name" released at some point.

Steel_Bus_24
03-10-2013, 10:42 PM
We have around 2.73 million in cap room right now. In order to sign all of our rookies, it'll take around 4.9 million to do so. We could theoretically have our first cap hit be around 2.5 million for Keenan Lewis in his first year, but more cuts (Colon after June 1st for example) are going to have to come. But, there's going to have to be more cuts on top of Harrison and Colon though.

There's a missing link in this chain here. There's going to be another "big name" released at some point.

so who is on the list???

Troy
Brett
Big Snack
Mendenhall
The Colon
Starks
Lewis

harrison'samonster
03-10-2013, 10:46 PM
so who is on the list???

Troy
Brett
Big Snack
Mendenhall
The Colon
Starks
Lewis

Big Snack, Mendenhall, Lewis, and Starks are all FA's. Of them Lewis is the only one at this point I expect the team to even attempt to resign.

Troy, Kiesel, Colon are all possibilities.

SteelersCanada
03-10-2013, 10:54 PM
From that list, I don't know. But, someone that has a significant cap hit is going to have to be restructured and/or released. I don't know how keen the Steelers are to restructure Woodley's contract as they see what kind of shape he's in for training camp and what kind of season he has in 2013.

You're looking at the very real possibility that someone like Keisel gets released. If they choose to have him on their roster, Polamalu is going to have to restructure and I don't see that happening either. At some point, restructuring screws up the cap and we're seeing the results of that now. If we release both Troy and Keisel, we could resign Lewis without a problem. I don't see such drastic steps being taken though as there's a considerable lack of depth at Safety. If we release Troy, it forces our hand to draft a Safety in the second round at the latest. He would probably get considerable playing time, if not a starting role come week 1.

There's tough choices that have to be made, but I don't think anyone on that defensive side of the ball is safe right now. If they think that Ike is getting up there in age and think they have their next duo of starters in Allen and Lewis, Taylor could become a cap casualty. Now, I don't see that happening, but again, I don't think anyone is really safe right now.

teegre
03-10-2013, 10:59 PM

The season ends on March 12. The Steelers need to be under the cap by then. After that date, the Steelers have until the end of next season (March 2014) to get under the cap again.

If the Steelers sign Lewis now, they might not have enough.

If they wait until March 12, they can sign him to WHATEVER deal they want... and they then have twelve months to figure out how to spread that money around.

The risk of waiting is that other teams can also make him offers, but the pros of waiting is that the Steelers could easily afford him.

harrison'samonster
03-10-2013, 11:01 PM
there's just so many dates and number flying around and half my clocks say it's one time and the other half say another time. It's getting confusing.

teegre
03-10-2013, 11:11 PM
there's just so many dates and number flying around and half my clocks say it's one time and the other half say another time. It's getting confusing.

That was funny... and true. I'm looking at three different clocks, one is correct, one is an hour behind, and one is two hour behind (went backwards instead of forwards).

harrison'samonster
03-10-2013, 11:15 PM
That was funny... and true. I'm looking at three different clocks, one is correct, one is an hour behind, and one is two hour behind (went backwards instead of forwards).

:rofl: In the end though it only makes us 1 hour closer to next season!

TheVet
03-11-2013, 03:22 AM
"Depending on what happens with Colon next season, the Steelers would be smart to try and head Foster off with a new contract prior to the start of free agency."

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/12/ramon-foster-increased-his-pending-free-agent-value-against-the-browns/

Ramone Foster will not go “Gently into the night.” As i said the Big Ragu is a fighter and he’s been having an excellent camp. Moving into the LG spot for Willie Colon , Foster is playing well and making the most of his practice reps

http://craigwolfley.com/2012/08/more-stuff-from-camp/

I know, when guys like Craig Wolfley and Dave Bryan start saying good things about Ramon Foster, it makes me think they should consult posters like you.

I'm fine with Foster for depth at the right price. But the haters will disagree.

steelfury02
03-11-2013, 08:37 AM

My oven clock is finally right again - that clock hasn't been touched since its been installed - oh, about 3 or 4 years now

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-11-2013, 11:52 AM
I'm fine with Foster for depth at the right price. But the haters will disagree.

I think he is going to get offers for starter money like Keydrick Vincent did back in the day. If we can upgrade, then fine....but I dont think we have the luxury of drafting another OG and thinking he will start day 1, given all the holes we have at OLB, ILB, Safety, WR, RB.

Foster will start in the NFL somewhere this season. He's proven he is good enough to.

VaDave
03-11-2013, 12:08 PM
Gonzo,

We can afford Jonathan Cooper....... We can't afford to pass on that one. Cooper is job ready day one ( google highlights if you think I'm joking). If you like DeCastro, another one that was job ready, your are going to love Cooper.

Foster and Starks will get FA offers no doubt, which will leave us with the following OL players under contract: Legurski, a marginal backup center and a liability at guard, unproven Malecki, a back up center, Colon, that hasn't played a whole season in half a decade, a reject named Cheadle who is on a future's contract, and a promising Kevin Beachum.

IMO, considering the amount of injuries that occur on the OL, this is not a whole lot of depth. It's a given, that Pouncey, Adams and Gilbert will be at the top of the depth chart, the drop off after that is steep to non existent. What drafting Cooper will do is allow us to move on from Colon ( opening up some additional cap space), make Beachum the swing man, and keep either Legurski or Malecki as a back up center.

TheVet
03-11-2013, 02:24 PM
VaDave has it exactly right. If anything, he's too optimistic given Gilbert's big 2nd year regression, but I'm hopeful that the young man will step it up if only to rebuild his own self-respect.

Even under the most optimistic scenarios, we're down one NFL-caliber starter, and we've got minimal depth. The need at OL is still profound.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-11-2013, 06:39 PM
Gonzo,

We can afford Jonathan Cooper....... We can't afford to pass on that one. Cooper is job ready day one ( google highlights if you think I'm joking). If you like DeCastro, another one that was job ready, your are going to love Cooper.

Foster and Starks will get FA offers no doubt, which will leave us with the following OL players under contract: Legurski, a marginal backup center and a liability at guard, unproven Malecki, a back up center, Colon, that hasn't played a whole season in half a decade, a reject named Cheadle who is on a future's contract, and a promising Kevin Beachum.

IMO, considering the amount of injuries that occur on the OL, this is not a whole lot of depth. It's a given, that Pouncey, Adams and Gilbert will be at the top of the depth chart, the drop off after that is steep to non existent. What drafting Cooper will do is allow us to move on from Colon ( opening up some additional cap space), make Beachum the swing man, and keep either Legurski or Malecki as a back up center.

Dave, I was pimping Jon Cooper before the start of this past season and all the Warmack hype. I know very well who he is.

With all the aging and declining talent on the roster like Foote, Clark, Polamalu, Taylor, etc and the uncertainty of the OLB position, I dont think there is any way we can invest the #17 pick in Cooper after doing so with DeCastro last season.

Foster is now under a new deal, so expect some of the other positions to get addressed in the draft other than interior line.

Hawaii 5-0
03-12-2013, 06:24 PM
Steelers expected to release Willie Colon, according to report

By Louis Bien on Mar 12 2013

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/9578145/20120918_kkt_sj4_100.0_standard_500.0.jpg

After it appeared Monday that he would be retained, Steelers left guard Willie Colon is now expected to be released, according to reports. The oft-injured, but versatile lineman spent seven seasons in Pittsburgh.

The Pittsburgh Steelers are expected to release left guard Willie Colon, according to Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. The oft-injured Colon has been discussed as a likely candidate to be cut during the offseason after ending the 2012 season on injured reserve. As recently as Monday, however, it appeared that the Steelers would hold on to him. That is apparently no longer the case.

Colon's release has been designated for June 1, saving the Steelers $5.5 million against the salary cap as opposed to the $1.9 million they would save if Colon was cut today, according to ESPN. The catalyst for the decision may have been the surprise re-signing of Ramon Foster on Monday. Foster started 16 games last season with David DeCastro and Colon injured.

Colon has spent all of his seven seasons in the NFL with the Steelers. He was drafted with the 131st overall pick in the fourth round of the 2006 NFL Draft. In 2011, he signed a five-year deal worth $29 million in 2011, but tore his ACL in Week 1 and missed the rest of that season. He appeared in 12 games in 2012 before his season was once again cut short by a knee injury.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/3/12/4094704/steelers-expected-release-willie-colon

stiller39
03-12-2013, 07:44 PM
Chris Kuper could be done in DenverChris Kuper - G - Denver BroncosMore team newsToday - 5:35 PM ET
Broncos RG Chris Kuper's Denver future is murky after the $23.5 million addition of Louis Vasquez.

The Broncos will likely play Vasquez at right guard, Zane Beadles at left guard, Orlando Franklin and Ryan Clady on the tackles, and J.D. Walton at center. Kuper, coming off two left ankle surgeries and owed an untenable $4.5 million base salary, is the obvious odd man out. Kuper turned 30 in December.

Source: Denver Post