PDA

View Full Version : In Pittsburgh, Seahawks hardly worth dissing anymore

BlackNGold203
08-20-2006, 12:12 PM
A Seattle look at the Steeler Nation......

Interesting read.....

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2003211596_pittsburgh20.html

:cool: :cool:

HometownGal
08-20-2006, 12:43 PM
Very good read, 203. :smile:

"I don't want to call it an aura," he says, "but whatever the Rooneys [the family who owns the Steelers] have created, it just appeals to the masses in the area. You can capitalize the C in character. Every year, we're competitive. And we're very lucky, and a lot of fans take it for granted."

Couldn't have said it better myself. Think of all of the franchises out there who have never experienced a Super Bowl or an organization who gives their fans such excitement year after year after year.

floodcitygirl
08-20-2006, 01:20 PM
I absolutely loved this! Thanks for posting it. It's interesting to hear other people's perspectives on the Steelers and their fans. What is so natural for us seems strange to them.... :jammin:

LambertIsGod58
08-20-2006, 01:30 PM
It's ALL because the Rooney family...What I'd do to be able to talk at length with Art Rooney Sr.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
08-20-2006, 02:20 PM
A Seattle look at the Steeler Nation......

Interesting read.....

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2003211596_pittsburgh20.html

:cool: :cool:

great article thanks I chuckled through the whole thing...

BlackNGold203
08-20-2006, 03:26 PM
On Mondays...after Steeler games...after reading up on all the local media...I always go to the other team's city newspapers to see the opposing view..I always find it fascinating

HburgXL06
08-21-2006, 01:08 PM
The article was a disappointment for the author. He expected to see some fiery spirit against his team and instead he found out that we didn't give a shit about the seahawks. Then he tried to turn that into an unhealthy obsession about the Steelers. When a team has history like the Steelers do than it's natural that there is the fervor that is the Steeler Nation. It was an interestin read, but in the end it seems almost a band-aid for the seahawks fans..."Don't worry folks, at least we are not nuts and hicks like these unfortunate fellows are."

BuFu

Hawk Believer
08-21-2006, 05:29 PM
I am pleased to see that this author didn't try to bring up old grievances that I will leave unspoken.

I think people in Seattle have a lot of respect for the Steelers organization. Most people I know were thrilled to see a smaller market team make their against all odds run through the playoffs. Until the Super Bowl of course.

Because we lost, we'll probably be a bit more focused on your team than you guys will be on ours. If you had lost to the Colts, you'd probably have a sportswriter putting out an article every month or so about them until the season started.

In terms of us thinking you guys are obsessed with the football team, yeah, there is some truth to that. I think during all the 2 week run up to the Super Bowl and the immediate need to try to find something to argue about between two teams that hardly ever play each other led to the following stereotypes.

Seattle is full of a bunch of geeky software writing millioniares who buy 3 lattes a day, know nothing about football, and lose one friend a week to weather induced suicide.

Pittsburgh is a decaying city full of unemployed steel workers who lack the intelligence and skills to find any new meaning in life other than going to Steeler games.

While neither sentence is true, it was the easy aspersion to cast toward your opponent fan when there was nothing more to be said about football.

I think there is truth to the fact that we are no as singularly focused on football as you guys are. We do (at least for 12 more months) have an NBA team that vies for attention, the Huskies football program draws a ton of attention in spite of its terrible record as of late, and the Mariners have a gigantic following as well. And we do have a contingent of people in this town that could care less about sports (I am sure you have them too but they have to stay underground about their feelings).

It is true that people out here don't do as much of the wear your jersey to work and get a logo tattooed kind of thing. I personally think that is part of an ethos out here that a lot people feel like it is "uncool" to wear any kind commercial label. I know you guys think that is stupid and lame and demonstrates a lack of support amongst fans. But while people don't wear face paint to work, we do talk about about sports incessantly at the water cooler. And we do turn it on at the stadium. Seattle crowds have been known to have a huge impact on important games. People scoffed at us for being too enthusiastic of a crowd when the Mariners made their first run to the playoffs in 95.

I should mention that I have a ton of respect for Pirates fans. Those are people who love the game. We know what its like out here to have teams that don't win for decade long stretches as well and appreciate other cities that keep the teams there in spite of the streak. Hopefully our Mariners aren't returning to those ranks right now.

My impression is that even if the Pirates or Penguins become better than the Steelers, which I am sure will happen before too long, Pittsburgh will still be primarily a football town. Seattle admittedly will spread the love around a little more and no one team will ever be the king of the town. I don't think that makes one city better than another, but it is an example of a distinct difference.

Mosca
08-21-2006, 06:09 PM
Interesting perspective.

Another thing is that Pittsburgh is an old sports town. So identity runs deep. Teams share colors (except for the original Pens). People flocked to the Hornets games before the Pens existed.

Pittsburgh was a baseball town for years and years, with the Steelers always second fiddle. That changed with two things; Chuck Noll AND Three Rivers Stadium. While Forbes was no great place to watch a baseball game, Three Rivers was an awful place to watch a baseball game... but a great place to watch a football game.

There's a thread going on now about bandwagons... but most Steelers fans from the '70s were originally bandwagoners. It was always "SOS"... Same Old Steelers again this year. That was Myron Cope's commentary every August, "SOS again this year," as the Bucs tried to stay in the race against the Cards, or Phils, or Dodgers.

Tom

Hawk Believer
08-21-2006, 06:38 PM
I always thought that was cool that the teams shared colors in Pittsburgh. Can any other town say that? Must make it easier to have game day outfits.

I think you are right about it being different in towns that have long traditions of sports teams. Seattle didn't really begin to become a distinctively large city out hear till the Klondike goldrush of the early 1900s. You guys already had pro baseball team while we were still a little logging village.

So you guys have sports allegiances that have been passed through generations of families. Our oldest team is the Sonics, about 40 years old. But I think we have been making a lot of progress towards creating identies for our baseball and football teams (besides being known as perenial losers) over the last decade. It will be kinda funny to hopefully be 100 years old and to have the Seahawks considered an older franchise....

BTW, what would you say is the point at which the scales tipped in Pittsburgh from baseball to football?

Mosca
08-21-2006, 08:16 PM
BTW, what would you say is the point at which the scales tipped in Pittsburgh from baseball to football?

Scales tipped? The death of Clemente. '72 the Bucs were still contenders. But '73 was a rough year. Attendance was off 10%. That was also the year that the staff ace, Steve Blass, forgot how to pitch. (He'd gone 19-8/2.49 in '72, to 3-9/9.85 in '73.) The team lost its spark and never really caught it back. And then in '75 KDKA and the Pirates fired the man who was the voice of the Bucs for 30 years, Bob Prince. That would have been comparable to the Cards canning Harry Caray. It fell apart after that. I remember going to games in '77 and '78 where there were under 10,000 fans in the park; they failed to break 1,000,000 in '78, despite finishing 2nd and being in contention for the divisional title all the way up to the last weekend of the year. They won it in '79 (but still were 10th out of 12 teams in attendance), but then '81 was the strike year and right after that came Scurry/Berra/Thompson/Parker and Kevin Koch; the drug years that drove the nail into the coffin. Now they pack the park for "the Baseball in Pittsburgh experience", but that won't last much longer. The team needs to win to build up Bucs fans.

Tom

Hawk Believer
08-21-2006, 08:32 PM
Why did they fire Prince?

We have an announcer here name Dave Niehaus that has the same status. He is starting to get to the Harry Carey was in his later years. He is totally beloved and you can't think of the team with out hearing some his classic calls in the back of your mind. But age is catching up with him. A dude will get up to the plate and connect with a pitch. Niehaus's call will be something like this- "And that ball IS BELTED!! ITS GOING BACK, BACK AND IT WILL be caught by the shortstop." He really struggles with the call of high fly balls. And then line drive home runs will can and he'll say something like "and Sexson his a line drive down the right field line. And that ball will fly away." If you are listening on the radio you are really shocked to hear there actually was a home run.

But if he was fired there would be hell to pay from the fans. They are already freaking out about us trading Jamie Moyer yesterday to the Phillys even though he is in his mid 40s and we desperately need some young talent. The man is loved by the fans though more for his philanthropic work than for what he has failed to produce the last few years. He does happen to have quietly produced the best record of any Mariner pitcher in our history.

Mamaduck43
08-21-2006, 08:33 PM
I am a Rosey Rosewell (and always considered Bob Prince to be his understudy) vintage Pirate fan and used to go to Forbes Field on "Ladies Day" with my mom and we would pray for rain so that we could get a rain check and get to go back for another game.... I didn't realize when I strayed from avid BB watching until I read Mosca's post and remembered how difficult it was to imagine the Pirates without Clemente.....

The straw that broke this camel's back re: Pro Baseball was The Strike.... I really lost interest and it has been difficult to get back into the Pirates.... I do check their daily results and I will watch if one of their games is on TV - - seldom happens here, though - - but I will be the first to admit that it will take a winning season for me to get back into it - - Yep - - - - I will admit to being a bandwagon fan - - but perhaps not - - I don't jump to any other team - - it is baseball, not the Pirates that has me feeling kind of blah about it....

I have loved the Steelers forever - - even in the really bad years.... Going to Steelers' games in some of those bad years were still some of the high points of my life.... The old Forbes field and Pitt Stadium days!!!!!! I wish I still had some of my old tin buttons and felt banners from those games.... And the waxed drink cups that turned into megaphones!!!!! Ahhh...... The memories....

Mosca
08-22-2006, 12:32 PM
Why did they fire Prince?

We have an announcer here name Dave Niehaus that has the same status.

Prince was getting sloppy, but he was also a polarizing figure; you loved him or hated him, but you always knew he was there. And he was feuding with Westinghouse Broadcasting and the Pirates management. Although The Gunner was a shameless homer, he also called 'em like he saw 'em. If the team stunk, he'd say it. IIRC, what happened was that management gambled that he didn't have enough support that it would matter. When he was replacwed with Mr Milquetoast Milo Hamilton, there was an uproar and hue and cry that reverberated all over Western PA; it seemed that even people who hated him loved him!

I've heard Niehaus on XM. I can see what you mean. Prince was getting that way, the stories were getting in the way of calling the game sometimes. But he had some sayings that were just perfect for describing a game, you always felt like you were watching with your uncle. My favorite was what he would say in the late innings of a game where the Bucs were behind by a run. The bottom of the 9th would start, and it would go something like, "OK, The Roadrunner (Sanguillen) steps to the plate. What we need here is a bloop and a blast! C'mooooon, Manny!" Here's a list of other sayings (http://home.mindspring.com/~gearhard/pigunner.html) thought up by or popularized by Prince. In the picture on the website, what looks like a smirk is actually the result of a stroke he had in the late '60s.

Tom