PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article on nfl.com: wallace/mendy risky free agents

TheVet
03-08-2013, 04:53 PM
From http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000147633/article/mike-wallace-rashard-mendenhall-lead-list-of-risky-free-agents:

Mike Wallace, Rashard Mendenhall lead list of risky free agents
By Adam Schein

At this time next week, there will be a lot of stupid money being thrown around the NFL with free agency well underway. And you just know some teams are going to make mistakes. Let's get a head start and lay out the nine riskiest free agents about to hit the open market:

1. Mike Wallace

My man Gregg Rosenthal has him ranked as the No. 1 player in free agency. My guy Jeff Darlington reports the Miami Dolphins covet Wallace and could be in a potential bidding war with the Minnesota Vikings for the speedster's services. And both teams certainly are in desperate need of a No. 1 wide receiver.

But I don't think Wallace is the guy. He's too inconsistent and unreliable -- just not worthy of the mega bucks he will receive.

Think about it. The Pittsburgh Steelers, one of the smartest and classiest organizations in sports, are about to let Wallace walk away. They've had enough. That should be a major red flag.

Wallace is all about the money. I don't think he prioritizes winning. He selfishly held out last year, didn't make an extra penny and helped derail the Steelers' season. Wallace wasn't part of the offseason programs and didn't learn new offensive coordinator Todd Haley's playbook. He then had an underachieving season filled with a case of the yips.

The San Francisco 49ers needed a receiver last year. They passed on Wallace, then a restricted free agent, and instead used their first-round pick (what would've been the compensation) on a project receiver who never played. The New England Patriots also needed a wideout. They wouldn't do it.

At times, Wallace can be flat-out majestic, with a knack for taking a short pass to the house or streaking down the sideline for a score. But he wants top dollar, and I wonder aloud if he will take the money and just be too satisfied with his paycheck.

7. Rashard Mendenhall

I'd rather play with 10 men on offense than put Mendenhall at running back. He's been a bust as a player. He was suspended in 2012 for being a bad teammate. Mendenhall can't hold on to the football and can't stay healthy. Otherwise, it has all worked out.

The Steelers will let him go. Another team shouldn't get duped by where he was drafted. You can't bank on this cat.

FrancoLambert
03-08-2013, 05:47 PM
RE: Mendenhall

OR.....we sign him for one year (dirt cheap) cause no one else offers him what he wants.

And he plays his ass off for his next contract. With someone else.

Millers the sh!t
03-08-2013, 05:56 PM
I feel bad for mendy. Had a career under a terrible terrible oline and an idiot OC. I know he's better than what we've seen. If this guy could get a hole once and a while he's got the speed and moves to do some damage. I support Mendenhall. He ain't a bad teammate he just has self respect. It's like saying Dave Chappelle is a terrible person cause he walked away from millions and a tv career.... Nope, just self respect

OX1947
03-08-2013, 06:47 PM
I feel bad for mendy. Had a career under a terrible terrible oline and an idiot OC. I know he's better than what we've seen. If this guy could get a hole once and a while he's got the speed and moves to do some damage. I support Mendenhall. He ain't a bad teammate he just has self respect. It's like saying Dave Chappelle is a terrible person cause he walked away from millions and a tv career.... Nope, just self respect

Yah, an OC who just want coach of the year as an assistant with a rookie qb, one good reciever, shitty defense and no names everywhere else.

The_Joker
03-08-2013, 06:52 PM
No shit

Millers the sh!t
03-08-2013, 07:15 PM
n Yah, an OC who just want coach of the year as an assistant with a rookie qb, one good reciever, shitty defense and no names everywhere else.

Yeah, the same coach who lost to every decent team they played against and the rest was a cake walk. The same coach who had another number one draft pick qb starting for him. The same coach who offense was stale and predictable year after year with Pittsburgh. Go put that coach of the years bronze statue outside of the stadium. Indy has been in the playoffs for years and years because of great qb play. Don't let their purposely bombed season for a 1st pick fool ya. Jim harbaugh is the coach of the year, last year too boy.

harrison'samonster
03-08-2013, 07:18 PM
not only do I think Mendenhall was misused, but so was Fast Willie.

Millers the sh!t
03-08-2013, 07:27 PM
not only do I think Mendenhall was misused, but so was Fast Willie.

Haley misused him too. I know injuries were there but I was hoping for some more short passes to him once I realized our running game and oline was a joke again.

I'd honestly rather see

Starks-pouncey-legursky-decastro-Gilbert

Try to gel and have a different o line philosophy and focus than years past...

harrison'samonster
03-08-2013, 07:32 PM
Haley misused him too. I know injuries were there but I was hoping for some more short passes to him once I realized our running game and oline was a joke again.

I'd honestly rather see

true, but he only had 51 carries this season, and like you said he was coming off an injury.

I would like to see us use a RB in the passing game too, and I thought Mendenhall would have been a good back for that.

I've got to disagree with Legursky being the starting center. He's capable of stepping up every now and then when needed, but I think he's limited by his physical abilities. I love the guy, just don't think he's starter quality.

SteelersCanada
03-08-2013, 07:39 PM
We're not moving our Pro Bowl Center to Left Guard so we can have a mediocre at best backup fill in for him.

Millers the sh!t
03-08-2013, 09:25 PM
Legs is def Better than mediocre, comes off the bench and fills in for Pouncey well.... Plays many roles on the line. The dudes legit N he deserves to start over most of our linemen. Pouncey would be great at LG also.... Guarantee better than colon.

Millers the sh!t
03-08-2013, 09:39 PM
Just found this, Here is another man's opinion. I agree with most of it and is def. Worth giving a shot. Our run and screen game has been garbage for years and we literally can't do any worst than what we've been doing. Somethings got to change

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/2/20/4002930/steelers-offensive-line-depth-chart-left-guard-willie-colon-maurkice-pouncey

SteelersCanada
03-08-2013, 09:52 PM
Or we could just shift in Beachum at LG. Problem solved.

harrison'samonster
03-08-2013, 10:06 PM
Don't take this as me trying to be a jerk or anything, but you guys might eventually get a better conversation started on a thread about the OL

austinfrench76
03-08-2013, 10:10 PM
Wallace will get big money and be average and Mendenhall will get okay money be Spinney McGee for them too. He wasn't misused, he under performed. But, I know its jaded me because I hated his political views so maybe I'm biased.

teegre
03-09-2013, 12:02 AM
Wait, wait, wait... does everyone realize that every OTHER thread turns into a Wallace thread, but this thread... a Wallace thread... turned into an O-line thread.

harrison'samonster
03-09-2013, 12:03 AM
Wait, wait, wait... does everyone realize that every OTHER thread turns into a Wallace thread, but this thread... a Wallace thread... turned into an O-line thread.

i take it back, this is the funniest post I've read on here.

good catch!

lloydwoodson
03-09-2013, 05:12 AM
Yah, an OC who just want coach of the year as an assistant with a rookie qb, one good reciever, shitty defense and no names everywhere else.

Chuck Pagano finished second in voting... he coached one game.

Don't you feel a bit foolish hopping on the NFL hype bandwagon?

Isn't it better to look at individual coaches subjectively rather than being told which ones are geniuses (the geniuses are always attached to an all-Pro QB)?

The Colts were outscored by opponents last season, 18th in offense, 21st in defense... mediocre all around. The Colts benefitted from a strength of schedule based on their 2-14 season.

Jim Harbaugh desererved the award or Mike Shanahan did imo. This year's COY vote was almost as bad as Jared Allen posting 8 more sacks than Suggs and getting snubbed for DPOY last year.

teegre
03-09-2013, 05:17 AM
i take it back, this is the funniest post I've read on here.

good catch!

:hatsoff:

ebsteelers
03-09-2013, 10:42 AM
n

Yeah, the same coach who lost to every decent team they played against and the rest was a cake walk. The same coach who had another number one draft pick qb starting for him. The same coach who offense was stale and predictable year after year with Pittsburgh. Go put that coach of the years bronze statue outside of the stadium. Indy has been in the playoffs for years and years because of great qb play. Don't let their purposely bombed season for a 1st pick fool ya. Jim harbaugh is the coach of the year, last year too boy.

add to this the same oc didnt do anything for the rbs of indy

Steelers5895
03-09-2013, 10:58 AM
Mendy holds onto the ball in SB 45 and we have 7 trophies.

lloydwoodson
03-09-2013, 10:59 AM
Arians is an average coach. The Steelers got rid of him because his offense peaked in year 1. The Steelers should have fired him officially- rather than trying to placate their crybaby quarterback. The Steelers were damn lucky to get Haley who has a great football mind. The offense will improve next year. The end.

lloydwoodson
03-09-2013, 11:01 AM
Mendy holds onto the ball in SB 45 and we have 7 trophies.

David Johnson didn't get a hand on Clay Matthews... if he had Mendenhall doesn't fumble. David Johnson was Arians' hybrid TE/FB project. How did that work out for you Bruce?

And how about "If Ben doesn't throw that pick 6 in SB 45 we have 7 trophies."?

OX1947
03-09-2013, 11:07 AM
David Johnson didn't get a hand on Clay Matthews... if he had Mendenhall doesn't fumble. David Johnson was Arians' hybrid TE/FB project. How did that work out for you Bruce?

And how about "If Ben doesn't throw that pick 6 in SB 45 we have 7 trophies."?

Kinda hard to throw the ball when DLineman are hitting your elbow on the release within 2 secs.

harrison'samonster
03-09-2013, 11:13 AM
that was Legursky and Johnson, both players who shouldn't be on the field for a SB team, making poor attempts at blocking, and Mendenhall getting sandwiched between two Packers players about a second after he took the hand-off.

FrancoLambert
03-09-2013, 11:16 AM
that was Legursky and Johnson, both players who shouldn't be on the field for a SB team, making poor attempts at blocking, and Mendenhall getting sandwiched between two Packers players about a second after he took the hand-off.

I'm with you.
Always felt that Mendy's critical fumble was due to Johnson's missed block more than Mendy's butterfingers.

harrison'samonster
03-09-2013, 11:28 AM
a lot of would of's and could of''s but unfortunately that's been the story of Mendenhall and Wallace's careers so far. I agree that the two are risky signings, and Wallace mainly because he's asking so much.

StainlessStill
03-09-2013, 11:44 AM
I still can't watch Super Bowl XLV, especially the Mendenhall fumble. Dude didn't have a chance. It's a shame because we had it drawn up perfectly, all Legursky and Johnson had to do was get somewhat of a hat on a defender and that would of allowed Mendenhall to atleast get a clean handoff and we live another play. Losing Pouncey reared it's UGLY head right there since Maurkice would of gotten out there at moments notice that would of gave the play a chance.

As for the pick 6, I can't remember exactly who got completely bulldozed and got his binkie smacked right out of his mouth with embarrassment that let a defender have a free lane to Roethlisberger that ultimately nicked Ben's elbow in his throwing motion that had no chance. I want to say Kemoeatu. The dude simply played pee-wee football on the games grandest stage and Roethlisberger and our chances took a serious hit because of it. Complete HALF ASSED attempt to tackle Shields on his runback BTW.

harrison'samonster
03-09-2013, 12:10 PM
I think it was Kemoeatu like you said.

Fire Arians
03-09-2013, 01:53 PM

I'd honestly rather see

haley didn't really even get a chance to use him. with the musical chairs game at RB it's not hard to see why no clear player was established there

harrison'samonster
03-09-2013, 01:56 PM
haley didn't really even get a chance to use him. with the musical chairs game at RB it's not hard to see why no clear player was established there

good point, and now we (at least as fans) have a big question mark at the RB position going into next season. Seems like the team is high on Dwyer, but if they don't seek another starter in the draft I'll be surprised.

Hawaii 5-0
03-10-2013, 10:45 PM
Steelers Free Agency: Broncos reportedly interested in Rashard Mendenhall

By Neal Coolong on Mar 10 2013

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/9453837/gyi0061437282.0_standard_500.0.jpg

A second AFC team has been linked to running back Rashard Mendenhall in wake of free agency.

Perhaps free agent running back Rashard Mendenhall will avoid getting hit by Ryan Clark in home games.

The Denver Post is linking the Broncos with Mendenhall in wake of the start of free agency at 4 p.m. ET Tuesday. Mendenhall was previously associated with Miami, indicating there may be something of a market forming for the Steelers first round pick in 2008.

Mendenhall largely fell out of favor with the Steelers by the end of the 2012 season after spending much of the year inactive. Multiple injuries including the recovery from an ACL tear in 2011 led to a large dropoff in production from Mendenhall, but when healthy, he could be a solid starting or rotational component for a team.

Mendenhall had 2,200 rushing yards and 22 touchdowns in 31 games between 2010-11, but was cut down at the end of the 2011 with the torn ACL. Isaac Redman spelled him for the Steelers playoff game at Denver in January, 2011, and rushed for 120 yards in the loss.

Redman and Jonathan Dwyer joined Mendenhall in offensive coordinator Todd Haley's split backfield approach that drew some criticism during the season. The new approach, as well as a similar theme of injured offensive linemen, damaged the Steelers running game for the majority of the season.

Redman and Dwyer were given the right of first refusal and original round (sixth) tenders in restricted free agency - paying them $1.3 million for the 2013 season.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/3/10/4087014/steelers-free-agency-broncos-reportedly-interested-in-rashard

Bane
03-10-2013, 10:48 PM
Peyton just can't catch a break...

Millers the sh!t
03-10-2013, 10:56 PM
add to this the same oc didnt do anything for the rbs of indy

Indy had RB's?

steeltheone
03-10-2013, 11:29 PM
We're not moving our Pro Bowl Center to Left Guard so we can have a mediocre at best backup fill in for him.

Our ' Pro Bowl Center' is as overrated as any recent Steeler. He is good, but not a Pro Bowler.

lloydwoodson
03-10-2013, 11:45 PM
Our ' Pro Bowl Center' is as overrated as any recent Steeler. He is good, but not a Pro Bowler.

He is a Probowl center as long as he keeps going to Probowls.

The main point is that Pouncey is MUCH more effective at center than guard. It is a colossal mistake to play him out of position in the same way it is a colossal mistake to play Timmons at OLB as some have suggested.

By moving a player who is elite at one position to another position where he is average weakens 2 positions.

SteelersCanada
03-10-2013, 11:47 PM

You realize he has been our entire offensive line for three years, right? I don't understand how anyone could call him overrated as he's been the only bright spot (a bright spot that's blindingly bright, in my opinion) on our offensive line since he was drafted. Does he overcompensate occasionally? Absolutely - but he does this because he knows that he is the entire line. When he buckles down and plays Center, he's one of the best in the league.

teegre
03-11-2013, 12:06 AM
You realize he has been our entire offensive line for three years, right? I don't understand how anyone could call him overrated as he's been the only bright spot (a bright spot that's blindingly bright, in my opinion) on our offensive line since he was drafted. Does he overcompensate occasionally? Absolutely - but he does this because he knows that he is the entire line. When he buckles down and plays Center, he's one of the best in the league.

He doesn't like AB.
He doesn't like Pouncey.

It's easier to just discuss other topics with steeltheone... because, those are his opinions of those two players, and he's pretty set on them. Trust me... I've tried to convince him otherwise about these two players... to no avail.

Here is what I've found out:
He compares Pouncey to Dawson... and ANY center is going to pail to Dirt. Likewise, he seems to compare AB with Megatron (or any other #1 WR), and although AB gets #2 money, he treats AB like he should put up #1 WR numbers. (Make sense?)

Again, he's set on these two topics, but he generally discusses other topics objectively.

Millers the sh!t
03-11-2013, 06:45 AM
He doesn't like AB.
He doesn't like Pouncey.

It's easier to just discuss other topics with steeltheone... because, those are his opinions of those two players, and he's pretty set on them. Trust me... I've tried to convince him otherwise about these two players... to no avail.

Here is what I've found out:
He compares Pouncey to Dawson... and ANY center is going to pail to Dirt. Likewise, he seems to compare AB with Megatron (or any other #1 WR), and although AB gets #2 money, he treats AB like he should put up #1 WR numbers. (Make sense?)

Again, he's set on these two topics, but he generally discusses other topics objectively.

Well me personally, I don't like any player on the Steelers or in the NFL when I compare them to the best FB TO EVER PLAY THE GAME. #33 of the Polk high panthers..... Al Bundy. Dude scored four TDs in one game....even got the schools stadium named after him beeting out T. Bradshaw........

How could people not like AB or Pouncey. They are 2 of maybe 3 players that were drafted and actually became disciplined productive players under Tomlin. I bet he don't like Timmons either.

steelfury02
03-11-2013, 08:34 AM
Well me personally, I don't like any player on the Steelers or in the NFL when I compare them to the best FB TO EVER PLAY THE GAME. #33 of the Polk high panthers..... Al Bundy. Dude scored four TDs in one game....even got the schools stadium named after him beeting out T. Bradshaw........

How could people not like AB or Pouncey. They are 2 of maybe 3 players that were drafted and actually became disciplined productive players under Tomlin. I bet he don't like Timmons either.

Al Bundy is also a HOF-level shoe salesman and masterful TV-watcher
http://twitchycorner.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Blogpost-Dad-Al-Bundy-Hand-in-Pants.jpg

teegre
03-11-2013, 09:13 AM
Al Bundy is also a HOF-level shoe salesman and masterful TV-watcher

And, he played for the Steelers. (Fact)

VaDave
03-11-2013, 09:32 AM
I still can't watch Super Bowl XLV, especially the Mendenhall fumble. Dude didn't have a chance. It's a shame because we had it drawn up perfectly, all Legursky and Johnson had to do was get somewhat of a hat on a defender and that would of allowed Mendenhall to atleast get a clean handoff and we live another play. Losing Pouncey reared it's UGLY head right there since Maurkice would of gotten out there at moments notice that would of gave the play a chance.

As for the pick 6, I can't remember exactly who got completely bulldozed and got his binkie smacked right out of his mouth with embarrassment that let a defender have a free lane to Roethlisberger that ultimately nicked Ben's elbow in his throwing motion that had no chance. I want to say Kemoeatu. The dude simply played pee-wee football on the games grandest stage and Roethlisberger and our chances took a serious hit because of it. Complete HALF ASSED attempt to tackle Shields on his runback BTW.

One thing that is not often discussed about the Mendenhall fumble play is the fact that Mathews is one heck of a football player.

Millers the sh!t
03-11-2013, 09:35 AM
And, he played for the Steelers. (Fact)

Played? I don't think so. Signed and released before the end of training camp. But either way, it's awesome he has some link or history with the Steelers.

VaDave
03-11-2013, 09:40 AM

If Pouncey has some decent guards he would not only be a perennial Pro-Bowler, he would be an All-Pro more often than not. The only demerit I'll give him is he is a little light in the britches to take on a Ngata type one on one, which at center can be mitigated again by better guard play.

I don't know if I've ever mentioned this or not before, but if we drafted this kid...... let me think of his name..... wait a minute..... Copper, CC... Conner,, no no that's not it...... Aha! Jonathan Cooper, from UNC, and pair him with DeCastro, Pouncey would shine.

TRH
03-11-2013, 09:47 AM

my sentiments exactly. I'm all for any Steeler to get league recognition, awards, etc, but I've never been sold on Pouncey being anything but good-to-very good. He was fairly good as a rookie and has since gained this "reputation" that i think is pretty much unfounded. Plus, he's injures easily too. I think he's solid & good. All-Pro or top-tier, though? Absolutely not.

Back to the article - i agree with the article as a whole. Wallace will get paid (overpaid). And if someone signs Mendenhall, thats a risk as well. He'll get signed by someone, but his character and injury history damage his chances at the "big payday". A Matt Forte type contract - not even close.
It's too bad for him...before all these issues he had the potential for that huge payday.
Either one is risky - good move by smart Steeler organization.

VaDave
03-11-2013, 11:33 AM
Personally, I'm not worried about losing any of our free agents. I'm also not worried about losing aging "Core" players. If somebody wants them bad enough, they can have them.

The fact is, we were 8-8 last year, which means we need better players, or players playing better. Maintaining the status quo is not an option. We will field a team this fall, and the one after that, and the one after that....,

TheVet
03-11-2013, 01:34 PM
Still gotta hold onto the ball.

VaDave
03-11-2013, 01:41 PM
Still gotta hold onto the ball.

The last time I checked that is one of the basic fundamentals of the game...... point taken.