PDA

View Full Version : Jarvis Jones, Manti Te'o, Aaron Dobson...

teegre
03-09-2013, 09:51 AM
R1 OLB Jarvis Jones
R2 ILB Manti Te'o
R3 WR Aaron Dobson
R4 S Tony Jefferson
R5 RB Stepfan Taylor

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013.php

I can't really argue with the first three rounds, because the first two are value (like Te'o or not, at 47, it is a great value). And Dobson is a small-school phenom w/ "question marks" but worthy of taking a risk on in R3, just like Brandon Marshall or Emmanual Sanders (or Terrell Owens).

Jefferson is eh. I'd prefer a different safety: Shawn Williams or DJ Swearinger. Or, even Leon McFadden ("if" Keenan Lewis leaves via free agency). And, Marcus Lattimore in R4 seems perfect (followed by the aforementioned Williams).

harrison'samonster
03-09-2013, 09:56 AM
wow, if we got those first two we'd be set at LB. I wouldn't be too happy with the RB in the 5th

SteelersCanada
03-09-2013, 10:07 AM
I'm with you in terms of Te'o being great value in the second round, but that has to be best case scenario. I don't see him getting by teams like the Bengals, Jets or Lions in the second round and ultimately fall to us. Besides, I think there are better Linebackers in this draft.

I like Jones.

I'm with you on Williams / Swearinger, but this brings us back to the original point we were discussing a few months back - Swearinger is a second round pick. If we want him, we're going to have to take him at 48. I can see Williams being there in the third round, but he's gone by the fourth. There's depth at Safety, but that depth only goes so far. If we want one of the guys you mentioned, a second or third (maybe both if we're set on getting chemistry between two young guys) have to be spent on a Safety. The problem that sticks out to me is we can't grab Lattimore in the third round at that point, so someone like Rambo in the fourth would allow us to take Marcus. But, we haven't taken a WR yet which could be a problem. In that scenario, Escobar is also gone.

The more I look at it, the happier I am I don't have to make these kind of decisions.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
03-09-2013, 12:24 PM
Te'o in the 2nd round would be very good value but I dont know if the FO would love all the media attention the team would get...

maximebg
03-09-2013, 01:41 PM
I don't think the Steelers will draft Te'o... they don't like all the media attention... Jones could be a great pick, but I think they might go with NT or WR...

SteelersCanada
03-09-2013, 01:43 PM
I don't think the Steelers will draft Te'o... they don't like all the media attention... Jones could be a great pick, but I think they might go with NT or WR...

Won't go NT as they kept Ta'amu. They wouldn't have gone through his off field issues if they didn't think they had a player in him. Steve McLendon is also a monster.

Welcome to the board, by the way.

maximebg
03-09-2013, 01:52 PM
Ta'amu wasn't release in mid december?

McLendon is a monster, true but I don't know if he has the endurance of Hampton...

And thanks for the welcome!

SteelersCanada
03-09-2013, 02:16 PM

McLendon is a monster, true but I don't know if he has the endurance of Hampton...

He was, then reclaimed. Practice squad.

maximebg
03-09-2013, 02:18 PM
Ok, then we have our NT :)

PhantomJB93
03-09-2013, 05:09 PM
There is actually less than a 0% chance Te'o will make it past Baltimore at 32. But I would be ECSTATIC to land him in the second. I still think he'd be worth picking at 17 if the premier pass rushers and Vacarro are gone.

teegre
03-10-2013, 01:06 AM
I'm with you on Williams / Swearinger, but this brings us back to the original point we were discussing a few months back - Swearinger is a second round pick. If we want him, we're going to have to take him at 48. I can see Williams being there in the third round, but he's gone by the fourth. There's depth at Safety, but that depth only goes so far. If we want one of the guys you mentioned, a second or third (maybe both if we're set on getting chemistry between two young guys) have to be spent on a Safety. The problem that sticks out to me is we can't grab Lattimore in the third round at that point, so someone like Rambo in the fourth would allow us to take Marcus. But, we haven't taken a WR yet which could be a problem. In that scenario, Escobar is also gone.

The more I look at it, the happier I am I don't have to make these kind of decisions.

I keep seeing Swearinger listed low, low, low in mocks & tiered lists. The rationale for this is that he hits "too hard." (WTF!?!) They say that he'll get fined & suspended too much, because of his physical style (again WTF!?!). I could see him going in R2... or, in R4.

Also, I see the safeties dropping, because everyone will be saying, "There's a lot of safeties; we can wait." (Make sense?)

If we had to give up on Lattimore, in order to get a better safety, then I'd take Knile Davis in R5 or R6.

Steeldude
03-12-2013, 02:43 AM

Hampton had endurance? Standing still doesn't take much endurance :wink02:

Steeldude
03-12-2013, 02:44 AM
Ok, then we have our NT :)

3 NTs on the roster

Galax Steeler
03-12-2013, 05:31 AM

I know the last couple of years he hasn't produced like he has in the past but I do remember him busting into the backfield more then once to make a play.

teegre
03-12-2013, 08:26 AM
I know the last couple of years he hasn't produced like he has in the past but I do remember him busting into the backfield more then once to make a play.

My brother-in-law always points out those one or two plays, as proof that Casey the Hutt can still play.

My concern is not the occasional QB pressure; my concern is him not being able to stop the run. Unless the RB runs right into him, he no longer is able to stuff the gaps on either side of him.

More importantly, he does not demand a double-team; OCs can handle him 1:1. In turn, OGs are free to block the ILBs.

JPPT1974
03-12-2013, 09:33 PM
Teo could drop not just in the second round but possibly in the third round. After what has happened in the past off season. Jones has none of that but will be in the first round. Meaning the baggage that Teo is going through.

PhantomJB93
03-12-2013, 09:52 PM
Teo could drop not just in the second round but possibly in the third round. After what has happened in the past off season. Jones has none of that but will be in the first round. Meaning the baggage that Teo is going through.

What happened this past offseason will never drop him that far and is nothing compared to baggage other players in the draft have. Especially now that the Ratbirds lost Ellerbe, their first pick is all but LOCKED to be Te'o unless somebody else takes him earlier.

BengalDestroyer
03-25-2013, 07:43 PM
mock mock mock mock, as fun as this is for all of you, the only reason I read posts in the war room is for the potential 7th rounders/ufa signings and to laugh at all these out of this world scenarios. Truth is NObody saw us drafting DeCastro last year and we passed up on a cheap Burfict who (as I called it) turned out to be a decent starter in this league. Point is Te'o, J. Jones, Lacy, Austin, Vaccaro, Star bla bla,... none of these will be our first round pick. It'll probably be some OL who slips down the first round...

devin7558
03-26-2013, 11:45 AM
^^^^ i sort of agree with this man.

Jonathan cooper, Lane Johnson. Both would fit our new switch to a Zone predicated blocking scheme. And the brass did take a run at jake long in FA so don't think for a second they're satisfied with Gilbert and Adams on the edges.

harrison'samonster
03-26-2013, 12:20 PM
the line is where everything starts on both sides of the ball. I wouldn't be surprised to see them strengthen the O-line in the draft.

maximebg
03-27-2013, 09:57 PM

Meaning ''can play physical football for a long drive'' There are not a lot of NT that can do that...