PDA

View Full Version : Harrison says farewell on twitter

6RingsAndCounting
03-09-2013, 10:50 AM
James Harrison (@jharrison9292) tweeted at 11:45 AM on Sat, Mar 09, 2013:
It's been a great run but all good things must come to a end. Thank you Steelers Nation I will miss you all!

Just confirmed...

James Harrison to be Released by the Pittsburgh Steelers

Linebacker James Harrison will be released Saturday by the Pittsburgh Steelers,reported NFL.com's Albert Breer according to a club source.

Harrison's agent also confirmed the move to Breer.

Harrison tweeted "Thank you Steelers Nation I will miss you all!"

It's been a great run but all good things must come to a end. Thank you Steelers Nation I will miss you all!

VaDave
03-09-2013, 10:52 AM
We are certainly going to miss him. Truly an all-time Steeler Great. Thank you Mr. Harrison!

pete74
03-09-2013, 10:54 AM
Wow. I'm shocked. I have no faith in Worilds. He can't stay healthy as a backup so I can't even imagine how much time he will miss as a starter

Steel Peon
03-09-2013, 10:59 AM
Well, FUCK! So much for keeping one of the greatest Steelers of all time.......thanks for everything Jamie, and I accept this under extreme protest. There are many other players I consider to be replaceable, but Silverback is about as far down the list as you can get. Worilds could replace Woodley, but he couldn't hold Harrison's jock.

Fire Haley
bye Debo - we knew it was coming

well, this should put us under the cap

madtowndrunkard
Why wouldn't he take new contract w/ the steelers? He's not going to get much more money in FA. It really makes no sense ..... why not finish out your career here? He wants to go learn a new system... then actually hope he can perform at a high level. He's old w/ injury problems... no one is going to give him a big pay day.

Does he live in Pittsburgh?

rrage
03-09-2013, 11:01 AM
This freaking sucks man, i dont care how much we saved, cut dumbass Colon for all i care but not the meanest man since greg Lloyd. This is a big mistake IMO.

harrison'samonster
03-09-2013, 11:06 AM
Very sorry to hear this.

Thanks Harrison for all the great plays! From the time you were on special teams wreaking havoc along with Keisel and hurdling Tomlinson when filling in as a back-up to when you became a starter making one of the greatest defensive plays in SB history. You will be missed.

scottcurtis
03-09-2013, 11:06 AM
I cant wait for the day he lines up opposite Ben.... Come across the line and lays him the hell out cold !!!! Go James....best play in Super Bowl history boy !

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
03-09-2013, 11:07 AM
Hope Worilds is ready to step up but i believe he will unless we draft a replacement...I just hope they dont try to move Timmons to OLB smh

StainlessStill
03-09-2013, 11:09 AM
Thank you for your service, James Harrison. You were one helluva ferocious player and have your spot ETCHED in Pittsburgh Steelers Hall of Fame. Helluva run! Thank you for all the great memories and good luck to whichever team gives you a new home. The Steelers simply KNOW when it's time to let legends walk. GO STEELERS!

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
03-09-2013, 11:09 AM
I cant wait for the day he lines up opposite Ben.... Come across the line and lays him the hell out cold !!!! Go James....best play in Super Bowl history boy !

This guy...smh

White_Steel_Wolfe
03-09-2013, 11:11 AM
Bad season coming up

Fire Haley
03-09-2013, 11:12 AM
This guy...smh

ban the bitch

Steel Peon
03-09-2013, 11:12 AM
I cant wait for the day he lines up opposite Ben.... Come across the line and lays him the hell out cold !!!!

I really hate to be feeling a little of this, but sometimes you have to root for the player.

Edit: And while we're at it, let's just cut every player with 2 SB rings.......who need's those old dogs?

Lady Steel
03-09-2013, 11:21 AM
:sadness:

rrage
03-09-2013, 11:24 AM
Hope Worilds is ready to step up but i believe he will unless we draft a replacement...I just hope they dont try to move Timmons to OLB smh

We shouldnt have to hope, Worilds may end up being adequate but looks to fat for "hoping." I hate this shit and we better draft his replacement with #1 pick.

Fire Haley
03-09-2013, 11:25 AM
James Harrison counts as $4.93M in dead money for Steelers. Releasing him gives Pittsburgh $5.105M in cap room.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
03-09-2013, 11:28 AM
We shouldnt have to hope, Worilds may end up being adequate but looks to fat for "hoping." I hate this shit and we better draft his replacement with #1 pick.

I believe Worilds could be a good player for us he wont be a James Harrison(not to many are) but a good player atleast, I still expect us to draft a OLB early and maybe he can be a star for us(even tho rookies dont hardly play smh)

zcoop
03-09-2013, 11:31 AM
Wow, this guy was the epitome of Steeler Football. Too bad we couldn't work out a deal. Some other team will get a plum if they can sign him.

Millers the sh!t
03-09-2013, 11:33 AM
At least we still have Willie colon! ESO ES MIERDA!

I'm gonna quote Pacino on this..... "perfect day RUINED!"

rrage
03-09-2013, 11:37 AM
At least we still have Willie colon! ESO ES MIERDA!

I'm gonna quote Pacino on this..... "perfect day RUINED!"

This indeed is a sad day and only hope no one offers him much so maybe he returns but i doubt it. :banging::banging::mad:

OX1947
03-09-2013, 11:38 AM
This really sucks. He had one more year left in him.

desertsteel
03-09-2013, 11:41 AM
You, are quite the LOSER.

SteelersCanada
03-09-2013, 11:42 AM
How is this a mistake?! We're trying to get into cap compliance and he's 35 years old. He has a bad back and a bad knee, but releasing him and saving 5 million in cap space is a mistake? Some of this fanbase is too sentimental.

It's time to reload.

scottcurtis
03-09-2013, 11:46 AM
You, are quite the LOSER.

hahahahaha !

rrage
03-09-2013, 11:47 AM
How is this a mistake?! We're trying to get into cap compliance and he's 35 years old. He has a bad back and a bad knee, but releasing him and saving 5 million in cap space is a mistake? Some of this fanbase is too sentimental.

It's time to reload.

The mistake is knowing we probably dont have a good replacement & he had at least one more productive year in him. This could end up being another K. Greene repeat because he had another 2 solid yrs in him.

Fire Haley
03-09-2013, 11:47 AM
Worilds couldn't hold Harrison's jock

"We could not get together financially at all,'' said Bill Parise, "We certainly had agreed to take a paycut but apparently there was a difference in how much of a paycut we would take and how we would take it.

"It simply came down to money. It's all about the salary cap."

jjpro11
03-09-2013, 11:48 AM
Sad day. The end was going to come eventually.. Whether by retirement or release, it was going to happen within the next year or two no matter what.

SteelersCanada
03-09-2013, 11:49 AM
The mistake is knowing we probably dont have a good replacement & he had at least one more productive year in him. This could end up being another K. Greene repeat because he had another 2 solid yrs in him.

You wanted an OLB to play until he was 37?

We can draft a replacement. This is another aspect that people don't seem to grasp - the draft is almost here.

rrage
03-09-2013, 11:50 AM
You wanted an OLB to play until he was 37?

We can draft a replacement. This is another aspect that people don't seem to grasp - the draft is almost here.

NO i more year only, you know he at least had that.

SteelersCanada
03-09-2013, 11:53 AM
NO i more year only, you know he at least had that.

He wasn't willing to take a pay cut. You were willing to pay a 35 year old 10 million dollars instead of drafting one of the many very talented pass rushers in this draft and let him start? I don't understand this line of thinking.

He never recovered from his back and knee issues. Let another team deal with it, not us.

BlaZeQuietly
03-09-2013, 11:58 AM
I have no problem with this what so ever. YES he had the best play in Superbowl history in 2009, when he was 30 and in his prime. His career will probably be over in 2 more years, cutting him was the smartest thing we've done this off season. Sure, at first it sounds like part of us throwing the towel in on the upcoming season... but I think it's all part of our master plan...

Corey120120
03-09-2013, 11:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJsBr8HqsEA

Hawaii 5-0
03-09-2013, 11:59 AM
He wasn't willing to take a pay cut. You were willing to pay a 35 year old 10 million dollars instead of drafting one of the many very talented pass rushers in this draft and let him start? I don't understand this line of thinking.

He never recovered from his back and knee issues. Let another team deal with it, not us.

what you so accurately describe is the harsh reality of professional football. tough decisions have to be made if we are going to be able to keep our younger players like Keenan Lewis, this was one of them.

time for Jason Worilds to step up, hopefully he can stay healthy.

jtbsteeler
03-09-2013, 12:00 PM
Goodbye James. We love you brother, but the team comes first. The Steelers will be here after you're gone.
We need the cap space. Re-sign Lewis, pluck J. Abraham off the market as a stop gap and draft a WR #1.

The train keeps moving....

Lady Steel
03-09-2013, 12:03 PM
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/578961_10151605223105809_1440023325_n.jpg

zcoop
what you so accurately describe is the harsh reality of professional football. tough decisions have to be made if we are going to be able to keep our younger players like Keenan Lewis, this was one of them.

You're right, thats why I don't trip when the younger players try to maximize their pay. Its a double edged sword in today's game when it comes to contract negotiations. We still may have a shot at him if no one else bites but I doubt that we will.

Quackjack
:crying01:

Goodbye Silverback...

rrage
03-09-2013, 12:04 PM
now your just exaggerating the situation as he would count 6.57 mill against the cap this year. I for one do think a pay cut was in order but not 3 maybe 4 mill they probably offered. As far as drafting talent, it dont always play out well and we could of cut hampton, the colon & others before Harrison

maximebg
03-09-2013, 12:06 PM
It's a good move by the organization.

I think they don't need to draft a replacement, because Worilds played very good football the last 2 years and Woodley will be back healthy!

The only question mark on the defense is who's going to replace Hampton?

austinfrench76
03-09-2013, 12:06 PM
I don't care what anyone says, this will hurt. No. He's not worth 10mm at his age but damn this sucks. We will miss him!!!!! Good luck Debo!

jtbsteeler
03-09-2013, 12:09 PM
now your just exaggerating the situation as he would count 6.57 mill against the cap this year. I for one do think a pay cut was in order but not 3 maybe 4 mill they probably offered. As far as drafting talent, it dont always play out well and we could of cut hampton, the colon & others before Harrison

Hampton is an UFA. We ran the best when Colon and Adams were healthy. Get ready for a healthy dose of that.

SteelerJay
03-09-2013, 12:10 PM
crap man...hard to believe these two sides could not reach an agreement... too bad for the fans

SteelersCanada
03-09-2013, 12:11 PM

He was due 6.57 in salary plus the bonus which puts it over 10 million. I'm not exaggerating anything, he was going to have a 10 million dollar cap hit. The cap hit works by salary + bonus.

Hampton is a free agent and cutting Willie Colon after June 1st saves another 4 million in cap space. Cutting Colon before June 1st would be a mistake and cutting Harrison now made more sense. Releasing him just single-handedly paid for all of our tenders.

It was necessary.

OX1947
03-09-2013, 12:15 PM
He was due 6.57 in salary plus the bonus which puts it over 10 million. I'm not exaggerating anything, he was going to have a 10 million dollar cap hit. The cap hit works by salary + bonus.

Hampton is a free agent and cutting Willie Colon after June 1st saves another 4 million in cap space. Cutting Colon before June 1st would be a mistake and cutting Harrison now made more sense. Releasing him just single-handedly paid for all of our tenders.

It was necessary.

Go away.

SteelCurtain5643
03-09-2013, 12:16 PM
Hes also 35, if you hadnt noticed our defense had gotten old and slow. We need to get younger. Yeah it sucks to see a guy like Harrison go but it had to happen. As long as he doesnt go to one of the teams I hate, I'll be happy

SteelerJay
03-09-2013, 12:16 PM
yeah..Flacco is a happy man today too

SteelersCanada
03-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Go away.

I'm sorry, is my logic and reasoning too damaging your guys' rose colored glasses? Is it a sad day? Sure. I'd also like to point out that with all the cuts - this one included - we're going to be able to make a run at signing Keenan Lewis. Which is more important? A 35 year old OLB that has a history of injury problems in recent years, or a 26 year old CB that blew us all away last year.

It's not even a discussion.

Am I being harsh? Probably. I'm also being realistic. Paying someone like Harrison 10 million dollars to be ineffective is ridiculous.

OX1947
03-09-2013, 12:19 PM
I'm sorry, is my logic and reasoning too damaging your guys' rose colored glasses? Is it a sad day? Sure. I'd also like to point out that with all the cuts - this one included - we're going to be able to make a run at signing Keenan Lewis. Which is more important? A 35 year old OLB that has a history of injury problems in recent years, or a 26 year old CB that blew us all away last year.

It's not even a discussion.

Am I being harsh? Probably. I'm also being realistic. Paying someone like Harrison 10 million dollars to be ineffective is ridiculous.

Stop.

Atlanta Dan
03-09-2013, 12:24 PM
Sad this day has come but IMO this is both a cap issue and an issue of how much to pay for diminished performance - I am old enough to remember when the 70s team moved on in the early 80s, so this happens to any player eventually

Quackjack
03-09-2013, 12:26 PM
Why didn't he take the goddamn pay cut???

maximebg
03-09-2013, 12:28 PM
I'd like to add something SteelersCanada didn't say : Harrison can't contain now...

When you put the guy on a situation with an offense who's playing option, he always ''crash''... No contain... That's something that killed the Steelers 2 years ago. (Off course containing when he's the last guy outside, not when there's the famous LB cross blitz).

Steel_Bus_24
03-09-2013, 12:31 PM
This is really hard to take because Harrison is the epitome of a Steeler....and its also bad that we don't have a stud behind him

Even if the majority thought Worilds was going to be beast enough to be an impact player....theres still the injury ?s

SteelersCanada
I'd like to add something SteelersCanada didn't say : Harrison can't contain now...

When you put the guy on a situation with an offense who's playing option, he always ''crash''... No contain... That's something that killed the Steelers 2 years ago. (Off course containing when he's the last guy outside, not when there's the famous LB cross blitz).

People get sentimental because of what kind of player he was and everything which I understand completely. But at a certain point we have to ask ourselves, can he still be the guy on the right side? Well, the front office asked and answered that question for us.

I'm going to be appreciative of what he has done for this team, but it's time to move on.

rrage
No rose colored glasses here but are you willing to go on record to say Worilds will have a good to great year and that our past rush wont suffer without a healthy Harrison coming back. I understand all the cap shit n logic behind the steelers philosophy. as for lewis, your making him out to be the second coming of Revis. Lewis was good but not great and i think will be overpaid no matter where he lands. My argument is not what he's worth financially but what we have in place to replace him. IMO the pass rush will suffer more than last year and so will leadership. What happened when Hines left, our WR's regressed and no intensity or leadership was evident. Harrisons value is much bigger than numbers n think we should have bit the bullet for 1 MORE YEAR, thats all. lol

SteelCityMom
03-09-2013, 12:32 PM
Going to miss him in the black and gold, but this is a very necessary move...especially if he's not going to take a pay cut.

You're right on the money with your reasoning, SteelersCanada. Very well said.

steelersfan299
03-09-2013, 12:36 PM
Amazing player, VERY upset to see him go.

SteelCityMom
03-09-2013, 12:43 PM
It's a good move by the organization.

I think they don't need to draft a replacement, because Worilds played very good football the last 2 years and Woodley will be back healthy!

The only question mark on the defense is who's going to replace Hampton?

It'll most likely be a combo of McLendon, Hood, and/or Ta’amu.

On the market (or at least the only ones I've seen) are Isaac Sopoaga (49ers), Terrance Knighton (Jaguars), and Aubrayo Franklin (Chargers).

I'd still like to see them draft a replacement for OLB though...if nothing else it's insurance.

rrage
03-09-2013, 12:45 PM
Steelers won't replace Harrison's toughness
March, 9, 2013
Mar 91:18PM ETBy Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com Recommend4Tweet12Comments8EmailPrintWhen the Steelers announced the release of linebacker James Harrison on Saturday, finding a pass- rusher became as much of a priority as nabbing a running back.

As of today, the Steelers would have to rely on Jason Worilds or Chris Carter to step into Harrison's spot, and there's no confidence that either one can handle the job. Pittsburgh can look to the draft and hope someone like Georgia's Jarvis Jones falls to them at No. 17 next month.

[+] Enlarge

Charles LeClaire/USA TODAY Sports
More than his jarring hits, the Steelers will miss the intensity and passion that James Harrison brought to the team.But let's be honest: there's no one who is going to replace Harrison's toughness, mean streak and steely-eyed stare that struck fear into anyone lining up across from him. Harrison was more than a pass-rusher. He was a quarterback crusher. Every team in the AFC North knew it had better find some pass-blocking tackles or Harrison would be hitting their quarterback all game.

Remember last season when Peyton Manning talked about returning to football and half-jokingly "begged" Harrison not to blindside him?

Harrison was as fierce a tackler as he was a competitor. Teams would double-team him, and he would find a way to drop a running back for a loss. Teams would cut block him, and he kept coming back. He played with so much tenacity that you'd forget he was only 6-foot tall. His presence always loomed larger.

There will always be the labels that Harrison was a dirty player. Harrison became the first player to get suspended under the NFL's enhanced enforcement of player safety violations after that vicious hit on Colt McCoy. He had so much money taken away from him for illegal hits -- more than $100,000 -- that the NFL should have named its fining system The James Harrison Fund.

That shouldn't get in the way of what Harrison represented on the field. Harrison has the mindset of an old-school player and was the gritty backbone of the top Steelers defenses over the years.

"James has been an integral part of our success during his years in Pittsburgh and has helped us win two Lombardi trophies during that time," Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said. "We appreciate all of his efforts and wish him the best.”

So, was this a bad move for the Steelers to cut ties with Harrison? It's a bad move for both sides. The Steelers don't have an immediate replacement for Harrison, and Harrison probably won't make as much as what the Steelers were offering.

The Steelers believe Harrison can still play. If they didn't, they would've cut him instead of negotiated a pay cut. In the end, the Steelers couldn't pay him $6.57 million in 2013. He was too much of a liability in terms of age (turns 35 in May) and injuries (missed a total of eight games the past two seasons).

Another team will sign Harrison because he can still get to the quarterback. Even though his sacks have decreased the past two seasons, he has at least six sacks in six straight seasons. And there's no doubt that a team will get a determined Harrison, who wants to show the Steelers that he can play at a high level.

This is nothing new with the Steelers, who are always trying to get under the salary cap. They got nose tackle Casey Hampton to take a pay cut last year and did the same with running back Jerome Bettis twice. Still, this won't go over well in the Steelers' locker room, which already has had its problems this offseason. Harrison was one of the most well-respected players within the organization, and his departure just puts more pressure on LaMarr Woodley to rebound from last year's disappointing effort.

The news of Harrison's release makes it a good day for Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton and whoever is starting for the Browns. But, for the Steelers, this was more than parting ways with one of their best defenders over the past decade. They said goodbye to one of the toughest players to ever wear the Black and Gold.

My sentiments exactly, im done.:drink:

pczach
03-09-2013, 12:45 PM
The question you really have to ask is if you think he would still be worth his contract in 2-3 years. If he accepted less money, and he just couldn't get it done, you could live with that. If you keep him at 10 mil and he can't play....that is crippling. It sucks, but in the end I think this was absulutely necessary with the cap situation they are in. There's never been a more fearsome player to wear the Black and Gold. I mean that. I think he's been the most feared man in the NFL for almost a decade. It's a shame we couldn't see him play another year or two and retire where he belongs. Cap reality sucks when a legendary player is lost. He will be missed. Both on the field, and in a variety of ways that can't be quantified.

Good luck James(aka Silverback)!:nw:

steelersfan299
03-09-2013, 12:46 PM

On the market (or at least the only ones I've seen) are Isaac Sopoaga (49ers), Terrance Knighton (Jaguars), and Aubrayo Franklin (Chargers).

I really don't like our defensive line; Casey Hampton is probably out, Cameron Heyward has been a bust so far, Ta'amu hasn't done ANYTHING yet, and Ziggy Hood has never lived up to first round expectations. I think we need to address the defensive line in free agency because most of the defensive lineman that will be available in the first round of the draft are 4-3 pass rushers.

steelersfan299
03-09-2013, 12:47 PM
The question you really have to ask is if you think he would still be worth his contract in 2-3 years. If he accepted less money, and he just couldn't get it done, you could live with that. If you keep him at 10 mil and he can't play....that is crippling. It sucks, but in the end I think this was absulutely necessary with the cap situation they are in. There's never been a more fearsome player to wear the Black and Gold. I mean that. I think he's been the most feared man in the NFL for almost a decade. It's a shame we couldn't see him play another year or two and retire where he belongs. Cap reality sucks when a legendary player is lost. He will be missed. Both on the field, and in a variety of ways that can't be quantified.

Good luck James(aka Silverback)!:nw:

Is he even worth his contract now?

SteelCityMom
03-09-2013, 12:48 PM
Hey, didn't we rebound from releasing Porter too?

It'll be ok folks. As Yoda would say...'there is another'.

SteelCityMom
03-09-2013, 12:49 PM
I really don't like our defensive line; Casey Hampton is probably out, Cameron Heyward has been a bust so far, Ta'amu hasn't done ANYTHING yet, and Ziggy Hood has never lived up to first round expectations. I think we need to address the defensive line in free agency because most of the defensive lineman that will be available in the first round of the draft are 4-3 pass rushers.

Pretty much agree. I think this years FA and draft will be huge for the Steelers. I HOPE at least!

pczach
03-09-2013, 12:52 PM
There is no doubt that his release is going to have a big affect what we do on draft day.

steelersfan299
03-09-2013, 12:54 PM

It'll be ok folks. As Yoda would say...'there is another'.

Yeah true, we rebounded after losing Kendrel Bell and Jason Gildon too. we always seem to find another great linebacker, it's just that this team just isn't in a great position right now. We must take Jarvis Jones if he falls to Pick No.17.

SteelersCanada
03-09-2013, 12:54 PM
How can anyone call Heyward a bust? He's been sitting behind Keisel. Is Mike Adams a bust, too? What about Kelvin Beachum? Cortez Allen? Are these guys all busts too?

When Heyward gets snaps, he collapses the interior of the pocket and stuffs the run better than Keisel does.

maximebg
03-09-2013, 12:55 PM

I'd still like to see them draft a replacement for OLB though...if nothing else it's insurance.

Hood won't go from a 3/5 technique to an 1 technique...

Ta'amu wasn't released in mid december?

steelersfan299
03-09-2013, 12:59 PM
How can anyone call Heyward a bust? He's been sitting behind Keisel. Is Mike Adams a bust, too? What about Kelvin Beachum? Cortez Allen? Are these guys all busts too?

When Heyward gets snaps, he collapses the interior of the pocket and stuffs the run better than Keisel does.

Okay, maybe it's a little too early to call him a bust but we haven't seen anything from him yet. I was hoping he would be better than Ziggy Hood and maybe take his starting job but so far not.

rgj
03-09-2013, 12:59 PM
Not a real happy Steeler fan today.

Whew. Am I glad that we got William Gay back. Does he play linebacker?

steelersfan299
03-09-2013, 01:00 PM
If we fail in the draft and free agency, and the team suffers alot because of it; then Kevin Colbert should be fired IMO.

Fire Haley
03-09-2013, 01:01 PM

We don't have a stud in the wings waiting to take his place this time

can you say 'mediocre'?

steelersfan299
03-09-2013, 01:02 PM
Not a real happy Steeler fan today.

Whew. Am I glad that we got William Gay back. Does he play linebacker?

Heh I wish he did, I'm happy to have William Gay back as long as he isn't a starter. I think he's better used in the slot because he hasn't been very impressive as a starting cornerback.

SteelCityMom
03-09-2013, 01:04 PM
Hood won't go from a 3/5 technique to an 1 technique...

Ta'amu wasn't released in mid december?

You're right, he was. Forgot about that.

SteelCityMom
03-09-2013, 01:05 PM

can you say 'mediocre'?

We'll see...again, there is the draft and FA too. It wasn't like Harrison was a true stud when they released Porter either. If I remember correctly, he hadn't seen that much playing time before that.

Fire Arians
03-09-2013, 01:07 PM

can you say 'mediocre'?

harrison was a nobody until he had his chance to start. if the team has faith in worilds i think us as fans should give him a chance as well

harrison'samonster
03-09-2013, 01:11 PM
I think people knew that Harrison was a monster before he started. Here's a thread from 2007. I haven't read through it yet, there were obviously concerns but you can tell from reading the first page that people thought he was ready to take over.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=13911&highlight=Harrison+replace+Porter

SteelBlaze1
03-09-2013, 01:12 PM
I really don't like to see GREAT players leave, but it happens to all of them.

Do we think there is any chance the Steelers sign a FA linebacker as well as draft one?

Fire Haley
03-09-2013, 01:13 PM

I agree with all that - but our pass rush comes from the OLB's - without pressure from them everything breaks down

steelersfan299
03-09-2013, 01:14 PM
I really don't like to see GREAT players leave, but it happens to all of them.

Do we think there is any chance the Steelers sign a FA linebacker as well as draft one?

They might draft one but I seriously doubt they'll get one in FA.

BlaZeQuietly
03-09-2013, 01:15 PM
yeah..Flacco is a happy man today too

Flacco would only be happy if the ravens got him, who is to say he wont be playing for another team and smash flaccos brains in anyways?

rrage
03-09-2013, 01:18 PM
harrison was a nobody until he had his chance to start. if the team has faith in worilds i think us as fans should give him a chance as well

they don't have a choice now because harrison was strictly a cap casualty, otherwise they would have outright cut him and not tried to bring him back at less pay.

BlaZeQuietly
03-09-2013, 01:19 PM
Might as well get rid of troy while we are cutting the old fat

steeltheone
03-09-2013, 01:21 PM
Harrison was an animal on the field, he had some amazing years and his ability to create turnovers was what made him stand out.

Harrison was a woman beater and that was always in the back of my mind. I rooted for him on the field Sundays but i could never embrace him like other Steeler greats.

Nobody is perfect and i am far from it, but that is one sin no "real man " would commit.

MaidenIndiana
03-09-2013, 01:23 PM
While I hate to see Silverback go let's be honest, IF he wanted to stay with the Steelers he could have. Im sorry but taking a paycut down to 3 or 4 million dollars a year doesn't sound like much of a sacrifice to make in order to stay where you supposedly want to stay. The Steelers as an organization has shown great foresight in the past at letting go of players at just the right time instead of holding on to them a year or two too long

steeltheone
03-09-2013, 01:31 PM
While I hate to see Silverback go let's be honest, IF he wanted to stay with the Steelers he could have. Im sorry but taking a paycut down to 3 or 4 million dollars a year doesn't sound like much of a sacrifice to make in order to stay where you supposedly want to stay. The Steelers as an organization has shown great foresight in the past at letting go of players at just the right time instead of holding on to them a year or two too long

The Steelers used to let players go before the decline, not anymore. Due to poor drafting, or just bad decisions that does not seem to hold true.

Steelers5895
03-09-2013, 01:32 PM
Im touched. he said he would miss me. and he never even met me too. what a guy

GMU Steeler
03-09-2013, 01:38 PM
I think people knew that Harrison was a monster before he started. Here's a thread from 2007. I haven't read through it yet, there were obviously concerns but you can tell from reading the first page that people thought he was ready to take over.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=13911&highlight=Harrison+replace+Porter

Maybe but I don't think anyone even the biggest optimists anticipated him doing what he did. Remember we did draft two linebackers in the first two rounds that year for a reason. Anyhow, this sucks. I understand why it was done but I'm going to miss Harrison. Wish him the best. So fun to watch. And that play in the SB is the best defensive play in SB history. and legitimately up there for best ever.

BlaZeQuietly
03-09-2013, 01:56 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RqnQwKAI4OE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

oh now im tearin up :( *sobs* bye

without this play there's a good chance we would not have won that superbowl... props to ben and santonio on that final drive to :-P

fer522
03-09-2013, 02:08 PM
Next man up:tt03: am i happy about the move? No!! But it's time we get younger. Kiesel you're next

AgentGold007
03-09-2013, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the years James. I really hope he doesn't end up in Cleveland.

sloppyjoe
03-09-2013, 02:45 PM
rumors are that the steelers offered harison a 30% cut in base salary with incemtives to earn all of it back and he turned it down.................if true, F' you james

lloydwoodson
03-09-2013, 02:46 PM
This news just ruined my day. God damnit! Harrison had 6 sacks in his last 7 games. He is still an elite player imo. I think this hurts the Steelers.

I would have traded Keisel for a 5th (Heyward is a beast and should be starting next year) and cut Colon after June 1st. I think that mostly would take care of the cap issues. Restructure, restructure etc.

Harrison was instrumental in the Steelers SB 43 win. Without Debo the Steelers don't win it that year. Respect to one of the greatest linebackers of all time... and one who fought his way into the lineup after being cut by two teams.

bEvj1Dgvz_U
oRWZ5l0nzXo&playnext=1&list=PL72790F4A98D99A6D&feature=results_video

The Steelers defense just got a lot less intimidating.

scottcurtis
03-09-2013, 02:52 PM
Next man up:tt03: am i happy about the move? No!! But it's time we get younger. Kiesel you're next

ya...Ok Tomlin... how did that work after you dissed Mendy ?

fer522
03-09-2013, 03:35 PM
ya...Ok Tomlin... how did that work after you dissed Mendy ?

Happy feet sucks ass!!! What do you wanna do keep everybody til they 65?!?! :noidea:
You want me to cry about it? Shit.. I still have a team to root for

Quackjack
03-09-2013, 03:39 PM
rumors are that the steelers offered harison a 30% cut in base salary with incemtives to earn all of it back and he turned it down.................if true, F' you james

Wow...

teegre
03-09-2013, 03:46 PM
My visceral reaction can be summed up in one word: Fuck.

Not a shout... not a sob... no anger... no bitterness. Just "Fuck."

My reaction is not reading into whether it was the right or wrong decision. My reaction is not based on memories nor on looking forward. My reaction neither blames James nor questions The Rooneys. My reaction, for lack of any better word, is simply, "Fuck."

Terminator
03-09-2013, 03:47 PM

If that is true, then I hope the door hit him on the ass on the way out.

He is 35 and coming off many injuries. He isn't worth much more than vet minimum.

steelfury02
03-09-2013, 03:49 PM
if that rumor is true, Harrison's a fool - but that's just it - a rumor

he M_I_G_H_T get his original deal somewhere else but I doubt it - unless he's going to be stingy and take a 25% reduction from someone else

at a time like this - I ask for some of your insight - what was the latest on Woodley budging a little? That chunkster of all people should have been the first in line to say "hey over here - I got what you want to keep James . . ."

call me ignorant but Ben, Timmons, Brown stepped up - where was Woodley's name in all these dealings?

I say we still needed him around for this year - it would have been worth it even if Worilds was rotating in - if you thought the needs were piling up, just wait until they get 20 sacks on the year - good grief this is just stupid - if he wouldn't budge, then yea - we need to use that dough to get a few young bodies here and paid up

What do you all think about being able to keep Lewis now?

scottcurtis
03-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Happy feet sucks ass!!! What do you wanna do keep everybody til they 65?!?! :noidea:
You want me to cry about it? Shit.. I still have a team to root for

Tomlin should fire himself. Then we can hire Ben as head coach so can can let himself run the 2 minute offense the whole game.... you know since its UNSTOPPABLE !!!! LOL Ya right !

Terminator
03-09-2013, 03:58 PM

he M_I_G_H_T get his original deal somewhere else but I doubt it - unless he's going to be stingy and take a 25% reduction from someone else

at a time like this - I ask for some of your insight - what was the latest on Woodley budging a little? That chunkster of all people should have been the first in line to say "hey over here - I got what you want to keep James . . ."

call me ignorant but Ben, Timmons, Brown stepped up - where was Woodley's name in all these dealings?

I say we still needed him around for this year - it would have been worth it even if Worilds was rotating in - if you thought the needs were piling up, just wait until they get 20 sacks on the year - good grief this is just stupid - if he wouldn't budge, then yea - we need to use that dough to get a few young bodies here and paid up

If Pittsburgh is making all the moves to keep just one free agent, I can't see it being anyone else but Lewis.

We've pretty much already told Wallace to have a nice life. Who else is worth it?

Redman, Dwyer, and McLendon were already given low tenders as RFA's.

steeltheone
03-09-2013, 03:59 PM

Normally, restructuring takes nothing away from the player, in fact, it more than not benefits them. So Ben, Timmons, Brown, did not step up.

Terminator
03-09-2013, 04:00 PM
Normally, restructuring takes nothing away from the player, in fact, it more than not benefits them. So Ben, Timmons, Brown, did not step up.

Thank you.

I see so many people saying what good guys they are for "doing what's necessary for the team".

LOL.

All they are doing is what's necessary for their fat wallets.

jacobo
03-09-2013, 04:01 PM
fuck...

steelfury02
03-09-2013, 04:01 PM
Thank you.

I see so many people saying what good guys they are for "doing what's necessary for the team".

LOL.

All they are doing is what's necessary for their fat wallets.

what is the incentive to do it then? like I've said - I'm asking for the insight "LOL"isn't helpful - why would the Steelers be asking them to do it then?

SteelersCanada
03-09-2013, 04:06 PM
Steelers Depot ‏@Steelersdepot

"I definitely have three years left, possibly four, but I'm going where the wind blows." ~ James Harrison http://burgh.us/kt8 #steelers

He can play until he's 38 or 39? Does it bother anyone that it's starting to seem like he's just in it for the cash at this point?

steelfury02
03-09-2013, 04:09 PM
He can play until he's 38 or 39? Does it bother anyone that it's starting to seem like he's just in it for the cash at this point?

maybe he feels like he won't get another shot at a Lombardi so might as well get the most dough at this point - who the heck knows -if the 30% thing is true - that's a little silly on his part, especially if there were incentives to earn it back

jacobo
03-09-2013, 04:10 PM

He only began starting late in his career. I don't think it's out there to think he wants to prove he can still play. Even if he's only in it for the money at this point, who cares? This is his only time in his life he has a chance to make that kind of money. Good on him for taking advantage.

teegre
03-09-2013, 04:25 PM
fuck...

My sentiments exactly.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showpost.php?p=1090135&postcount=98

GoFor7
03-09-2013, 04:29 PM
Tomlin should fire himself. Then we can hire Ben as head coach so can can let himself run the 2 minute offense the whole game.... you know since its UNSTOPPABLE !!!! LOL Ya right !

Better than run, run, pass or run, bubble screen, pass. :noidea:

Steel Peon
03-09-2013, 05:07 PM

Porter was another paper tiger, like Woodley, who's presence on the team caused Harrison to languish on the bench, for maybe 2 years. It's no shock to me that, as soon as we cut dead weight Porter, Harrison became the starter and proceeded to tear shit up. In only his second year as a starter he was named AP Defensive POY, which you of course knew already, but he was awarded that honor BEFORE his giant play in SBXLIII.

Also, for as much as I'm bagging on Porter for being mostly talk, I'd much rather have him right now, than Woodley (at Woodley's age, of course).

So, right now chances are good that people will still be talking about Harrison 10 years from now, but I doubt anyone will remember anyone else on our defense, except for Polamalu.

And to anyone who's saying we need to draft his replacement, there's no way in hell LeBeau will start a rookie in his place.......he never starts ANY defensive rookies.

Steel Peon
03-09-2013, 05:15 PM
Also, about that "30% pay cut, with incentives to earn it back" shit, and why he's so stupid for not taking it. Even if James had agreed to it, he knew damn well that it was going to be even tougher to keep him on the team the year after. So, in all reality, this coming season was going to be his last year as a Steeler (or in his career), and he didn't want to get paid $4mil for it. I think another team pays him at least $6mil, so really this was (at least) a $2mil decision.

harrison'samonster
03-09-2013, 05:16 PM
I wouldn't be too hard on Porter, remember the back to back sacks on Manning in 05. He wasn't the greatest, but he was a LOT better than other players we've had at the spot.

harrison'samonster
03-09-2013, 05:18 PM
Also, about that "30% pay cut, with incentives to earn it back" shit, and why he's so stupid for not taking it. Even if James had agreed to it, he knew damn well that it was going to be even tougher to keep him on the team the year after. So, in all reality, this coming season was going to be his last year as a Steeler (or in his career), and he didn't want to get paid $4mil for it. I think another team pays him at least $6mil, so really this was (at least) a $2mil decision.

I think the 30% pay cut was a pretty lousy offer considering everybody else was just asked to restructure their money through bonuses. I think $2 million is at least worth testing the waters for.

Steel Peon
03-09-2013, 05:19 PM
I wouldn't be too hard on Porter, remember the back to back sacks on Manning in 05?

On those sacks, Porter came in completely un-blocked, and then barely blocked.......when he was blocked things were quite different. He was fast and had good hands, but his jaw was the strongest muscle on him.

BlaZeQuietly
03-09-2013, 05:42 PM
On those sacks, Porter came in completely un-blocked, and then barely blocked.......when he was blocked things were quite different. He was fast and had good hands, but his jaw was the strongest muscle on him.

The Jaw is the strongest muscle in the human body, on any human... lol.

SteelCityMom
03-09-2013, 05:56 PM
Porter was another paper tiger, like Woodley, who's presence on the team caused Harrison to languish on the bench, for maybe 2 years. It's no shock to me that, as soon as we cut dead weight Porter, Harrison became the starter and proceeded to tear shit up. In only his second year as a starter he was named AP Defensive POY, which you of course knew already, but he was awarded that honor BEFORE his giant play in SBXLIII.

Also, for as much as I'm bagging on Porter for being mostly talk, I'd much rather have him right now, than Woodley (at Woodley's age, of course).

So, right now chances are good that people will still be talking about Harrison 10 years from now, but I doubt anyone will remember anyone else on our defense, except for Polamalu.

And to anyone who's saying we need to draft his replacement, there's no way in hell LeBeau will start a rookie in his place.......he never starts ANY defensive rookies.

I was short in my comment, so I know my point didn't get through well...but Porter was just an example. This isn't the first big name/big play player that the Steelers have released, and it won't be the last (especially on defense).

Bottom line, they can't afford his contract right now. Not at his age, and not with his injuries. They'll move on to the next guy, like they always do, and they'll be ok in the long run for it.

Steel Peon
03-09-2013, 06:14 PM

Yet one more thing from school that I should remember.........at least I was mostly correct.

Hawaii 5-0
03-09-2013, 06:30 PM

I always thought it was the tongue...

Millers the sh!t
03-09-2013, 06:40 PM
We gonna get a comp pick for James? What about Wallace?

desertsteel
03-09-2013, 06:56 PM
hahahahaha !
As expected from the village idiot...

desertsteel
03-09-2013, 06:56 PM
We gonna get a comp pick for James? What about Wallace?

I think that those are only for FA losses.

jacobo
03-09-2013, 07:00 PM
People need to stop raggin on Joey. He was always one of my favorites ;_;

Hawaii 5-0
03-09-2013, 07:33 PM
2013 NFL free agents: Where will James Harrison land?

By Adam Stites on Mar 9 2013

While he's turning 35 in May and saw a drop in production in 2012, there are teams that can benefit from the addition of James Harrison.

After 10 seasons with the team, the Pittsburgh Steelers cut ties with outside linebacker James Harrison in a salary cap move to avoid paying him $6.57 million for the 2013 season. The move came one day after the two sides reportedly met in an attempt to re-work his contract so that he could finish his career with the Steelers; however, no deal was made.

Harrison, 34, was elected to five consecutive Pro Bowls between 2007 and 2011, and was named the 2008 AP Defensive Player of the Year, accumulating 54 sacks during the five-year span. However, he fell off that double-digit average in 2012, finishing the year with only six sacks.

That drop in pass-rushing ability, combined with his age, makes Harrison a risky free agent to go after. However, Khaled Elsayed of Pro Football Focus says that his run-stopping ability is still up to par:

In essence, the worst case scenario with Harrison is you've still got a player who can operate relatively productively on early downs. The upside being that his 2012 was an aberration and not the start of a trend.

That is why a lot of teams, perhaps focused on names like Paul Kruger and Cliff Avril, might be wiser to look at a cheaper and more proven pro like Harrison

It's unlikely that Harrison gets more than a year or two on a new contract with a team, but prototypical 3-4 outside linebackers that can make an instant impact in the starting lineup aren't easy to find. Several teams have a need at the position, particularly those that have made recent switches to the 3-4 defense.

The Cleveland Browns are one team that is expected to switch to that scheme in 2013. While the team is in prime position to take a pass rusher like Dion Jordan or Barkevious Mingo with the sixth pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, it can ease that transition for a rookie with a player like Harrison.

Another team making the switch to a 3-4 is the New Orleans Saints, which has holes all over its defense. While the Saints don't have the cap space to go after a top pass-rushing free agent like Cliff Avril or Paul Kruger, they could afford to bring Harrison as a stop-gap in the starting defense.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/3/9/4084066/james-harrison-steelers-2013-nfl-free-agents-linebackers/in/3847997

MeanGee2047
03-09-2013, 07:47 PM
Disappointing to say the least....wish he would jave stayed and taken the pay cut. If he made the incentives he would have still made what he would have been paid this year. Steelers had no choice with a more than fair offer. Thanks for the good times James....you will be missed!! :drink:

aa14
03-09-2013, 08:23 PM
I'm feeling pretty bad about Boldin all but certain to leave the Ravens but man, I'd be pretty upset if I were a Steelers fan. Going to change the attitude in the locker room for sure. It will be interesting to see how the defense responds to this huge loss.

sloppyjoe
03-09-2013, 08:28 PM
I think the 30% pay cut was a pretty lousy offer considering everybody else was just asked to restructure their money through bonuses. I think $2 million is at least worth testing the waters for.

nobody old, injured and on the decline was offered a restructure. if harrison was really healthy and knew he could still produce at a high level, he never would have been scared to except the offer with incentives. he talked all the shit about wantingh to be asteeler for life, yadda yadda yaddda, but when it was time to put his money where his mouth is he bailed. this is why i always side with ownership.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-09-2013, 08:32 PM
Worilds can't fill his shoes from that side.

So now we waste a DP to fill yet another hole. For a player in our system who can not step right in for at least 2 years unless he is some huge stud, which is doubtful.

1 1/2 Linebackers on the roster as Woodley wont last long, we have a dysfunctional Oline, ZERO RB's, 1 wr who took part of the year off in Brown, 1 aging WR, and 1 WR left who gets hurt sneezing. TE than is severely injured. So Ben can;t hand it off, can;t get enough time before he gets flattened, and basically won't last because they can't block.

Gonna be a great year!

scottcurtis
03-09-2013, 08:46 PM
I think that those are only for FA losses.

what ever pip squeak.

harrison'samonster
03-09-2013, 08:53 PM
Worilds can't fill his shoes from that side.

So now we waste a DP to fill yet another hole. For a player in our system who can not step right in for at least 2 years unless he is some huge stud, which is doubtful.

1 1/2 Linebackers on the roster as Woodley wont last long, we have a dysfunctional Oline, ZERO RB's, 1 wr who took part of the year off in Brown, 1 aging WR, and 1 WR left who gets hurt sneezing. TE than is severely injured. So Ben can;t hand it off, can;t get enough time before he gets flattened, and basically won't last because they can't block.

Gonna be a great year!

Relax. Slow down. Enjoy the free agency period and the draft. we'll be okay. The Steelers will be okay.

SteelersCanada
03-09-2013, 08:58 PM
Brown didn't take the year off, he was injured ...

Why are people freaking out? Let's not jump off the bridge yet, guys.

Lady Steel
03-09-2013, 09:21 PM
I wonder what Rodger Goodell thinks about this. He may have become a whole lot poorer. :chuckle:

Lady Steel
03-09-2013, 09:42 PM

You're a one trick pony. Please move on. You're boring us all.

scottcurtis
03-09-2013, 09:45 PM
You're a one trick pony. Please move on. You're boring us all.

The only time your not boring is when your on your back or knees.

harrison'samonster
03-09-2013, 09:47 PM
scrotis, you don't belong on here. go find a Ravens board

teegre
03-09-2013, 09:47 PM

Dude, uncalled for.

Slam BB all you want... but, that was out of line.

scottcurtis
03-09-2013, 09:49 PM
Dude, uncalled for.

Slam BB all you want... but, that was out of line.

Oh its ok when others do it ?

steeltheone
03-09-2013, 09:50 PM

Porter went on to have a 17 sack season in Miami, do you think Harrison will match that next year or the next?

teegre
03-09-2013, 09:55 PM
Oh its ok when others do it ?

There's a line... and you crossed it. If you don't understand that, then I truly don't know how to explain it to you.

But, I will try:

Tossing verbal barbs back & forth is one thing... what you said was callous, hurtful, & spiteful.

There is a difference between calling out someone who posts the same banal drivel over & over... and a misogynistic attack.

scottcurtis
03-09-2013, 09:57 PM
There's a line... and you crossed it. If you don't understand that, then I truly don't know how to explain it to you.

But, I will try:

Tossing verbal barbs back & forth is one thing... what you said was callous, hurtful, & spiteful.

There is a difference between calling out someone who posts the same banal drivel over & over... and a misogynistic attack.

Oh boohoo...if she cant take it maybe go over to the Bible board.

SteelersCanada
03-09-2013, 10:07 PM

No. No. No.

Fuck that. You're not going to talk to another Steelers fan that way - that shit isn't happening. T's right - there's lines you don't cross and you crossed every single one of them. He was nice enough and polite enough to tell you off, but I'm going to be a little bit more blunt about it because frankly, you don't deserve our respect or time. I'd tell you to get the fuck off these boards, but I feel as if there's a vacation coming for you anyway.

Enjoy it, asshole. I hope you don't come back.

:wave:

teegre
03-09-2013, 10:12 PM

I have a better idea:

Since we all like & enjoy discussing football with Lady Steel, whereas you seem to always turn every thread (in which you post) into a pissing contest...

... why don't YOU go to some other message board.

teegre
03-09-2013, 10:13 PM
No. No. No.

Fuck that. You're not going to talk to another Steelers fan that way - that shit isn't happening. T's right - there's lines you don't cross and you crossed every single one of them. He was nice enough and polite enough to tell you off, but I'm going to be a little bit more blunt about it because frankly, you don't deserve our respect or time. I'd tell you to get the fuck off these boards, but I feel as if there's a vacation coming for you anyway.

Enjoy it, asshole. I hope you don't come back.

:wave:

That, too. :wink02:

scottcurtis
03-09-2013, 10:17 PM
That, too. :wink02:

Oh no....stop over the tailgate douche ...I'll give you a vacation from walking.

SteelersCanada
03-09-2013, 10:19 PM
Oh no....stop over the tailgate douche ...I'll give you a vacation from walking.

We're shaking in our boots.

Do you hear yourself talk? I can't tell if you're forreal or not.

scottcurtis
03-09-2013, 10:20 PM
We're shaking in our boots.

Do you hear yourself talk? I can't tell if you're forreal or not.

Fuck off canuck.

aa14
03-09-2013, 10:28 PM
There is a lot of anger and hate permeating this thread. Scottcurtis and Steelerscanada you guys need to calm down. It's just football.

SteelersCanada
03-09-2013, 10:30 PM
There is a lot of anger and hate permeating in this thread. Scottcurtis and Steelerscanada you guys need to calm down. It's just football.

When he starts to say misogynistic things to other members, then it goes too far.

harrison'samonster
03-09-2013, 10:30 PM
It's just football.

that's the worst thing I've ever heard on this board. Hang your head in shame.

aa14
03-09-2013, 10:32 PM

Reminding people not to get personal over trivial matters doesn't qualify as being bad. At least in my opinion. Why you'd say such a thing to someone only trying to diffuse the situation is beyond me. You're only contributing to the demise of proper discourse in this particular thread. Hang your head in shame.

harrison'samonster
03-09-2013, 10:35 PM
Reminding people not to get personal over trivial matters doesn't qualify as being bad. At least in my opinion. Why you'd say such a thing to someone only trying to diffuse the situation is beyond me. You're only contributing to the demise of proper discourse in this particular thread. Hang your head in shame.

Joking, just joking.

SteelersCanada
03-09-2013, 10:35 PM

He was kidding.

Settle down.

teegre
03-09-2013, 10:37 PM

Threats... ugh. Threats on the internet; threats against women; threats of raping me. Ugh, ugh, ugh.

I'll gladly stand by what I said.

So... I guess that you'll just have to rape away. :noidea:

scottcurtis
03-09-2013, 10:39 PM
He was kidding.

Settle down.

Stay neutral as always Canada, your country is overflowing with pussies.

Lady Steel
03-09-2013, 10:40 PM

:laughing:

I said "please." Yeesh. :chuckle:

Thanks for the back-up, guys. Love my Steelers' brothers. :smile:

aa14
03-09-2013, 10:42 PM
He was kidding.

Settle down.

When a thread is one big pissing contest for the last few pages it is hard to tell when someone is joking. Telling me to settle down when I haven't been a participant while you're a prime instigator is amusing. Take it back to football and forget about what that other guy has to say. LadySteel can slap that guy silly.

Anyways, Harrison isn't going to anywhere else in the AFC north so I wouldn't worry. I could see him going to several AFC east teams though. Probably not the patriots, not unless he takes a bit of a pay cut so I wouldn't worry too much about him heading to a team where it could come back to bite the organization.

harrison'samonster
03-09-2013, 10:44 PM
When a thread is one big pissing contest for the last few pages it is hard to tell when someone is joking. Telling me to settle down when I haven't been a participant while you're a prime instigator is amusing. Take it back to football and forget about what that other guy has to say. LadySteel can slap that guy silly.

Anyways, Harrison isn't going to anywhere else in the AFC north so I wouldn't worry. I could see him going to several AFC east teams though. Probably not the patriots though, not unless he takes a bit of a pay cut so worry not!

I'm calmer than you are.

Lady Steel
03-09-2013, 10:45 PM
Anyways, Harrison isn't going to anywhere else in the AFC north so I wouldn't worry. I could see him going to several AFC east teams though. Probably not the patriots though, not unless he takes a bit of a pay cut so I wouldn't worry too much about him heading to a team where it could come back to bite the organization.

What about to the Saints?

scottcurtis
03-09-2013, 10:47 PM

I said "please." Yeesh. :chuckle:

Thanks for the back-up, guys. Love my Steelers' brothers. :smile:

Lol...I'm sure youve done far nastier things.

aa14
03-09-2013, 10:48 PM

I have to admit, I'd be a big fan of the move and anxious to see their comeback if they nabbed Harrison. Playing for a contender like the Saints would prevent him from mailing it in. He would be motivated and I would expect several seasons of high play. Whether or not he is being targeted by them is another thing though. I haven't been paying close attention to their offseason.

harrison'samonster
03-09-2013, 10:50 PM
I have to admit, I'd be a big fan of the move and anxious to see their comeback if they nabbed Harrison. Playing for a contender like the Saints would prevent him from mailing it in. He would be motivated and I would expect several seasons of high play. Whether or not he is being targeted by them is another thing though. I haven't been paying close attention to their offseason.

I think being James Harrison will prevent him from mailing it in. But yeah, if he keeps playing I'd like to see him on a contending team

fer522
03-09-2013, 10:53 PM
Stay neutral as always Canada, your country is overflowing with pussies.

Im gonna say this as polite as I can FUCK YOU!! Don't ever disrespect a lady or anybody for that matter

teegre
03-09-2013, 10:56 PM

My best friend wears a Chargers shirt with a 92 & the name "Harrison" that he stenciled on the back.

Thus, for him, I'd like to see Harrison as a Charger.

Lady Steel
03-09-2013, 11:02 PM
My best friend wears a Chargers shirt with a 92 & the name "Harrison" that he stenciled on the back.

Thus, for him, I'd like to see Harrison as a Charger.

That's so awesome. Maybe things will work out in your friend's favor. He would freak! :laughing:

Saw this on Facebook:

A big shout to James Harrison, aka DEBO. It's been a pleasure to have played with you. You're one special player. I know the rest of the AFC North offensive players are celebrating. Keep your head up. Whatever you decide to do my brother, I'll always be cheering for you. Much respect.

Hines

teegre
03-09-2013, 11:03 PM
That's so awesome. Maybe things will work out in your friend's favor. He would freak! :laughing:

He swears that he's about to win the "lottery." :wink02:

scottcurtis
03-09-2013, 11:05 PM
Im gonna say this as polite as I can FUCK YOU!! Don't ever disrespect a lady or anybody for that matter

What ever dickbag....

Lady Steel
03-09-2013, 11:08 PM
SAVE DEBO!!!

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/598947_527654443924029_1172502566_n.jpg

Bayz101
03-09-2013, 11:19 PM

Bye bye, asswipe. :wave:

Bayz101
03-09-2013, 11:27 PM
Sorry ya'll had to put up with this guy. Sometimes a user is so bad you have to ignore the infraction system and simply ban him, and that's what I did.

harrison'samonster
03-09-2013, 11:28 PM
Sorry ya'll had to put up with this guy. Sometimes a user is so bad you have to ignore the infraction system and simply ban him, and that's what I did.

Thanks Bayz! He was way over the line.

SteelCityMom
03-09-2013, 11:32 PM
*edit*

OX1947
03-10-2013, 03:17 AM
Lotta love in this thread. I have nothing. This has been a tragic day.

Steeldude
03-10-2013, 05:11 AM
Why wouldn't he take new contract w/ the steelers? He's not going to get much more money in FA. It really makes no sense ..... why not finish out your career here? He wants to go learn a new system... then actually hope he can perform at a high level. He's old w/ injury problems... no one is going to give him a big pay day.

Does he live in Pittsburgh?

I believe the contract would need be small to re-sign him. Cutting Harrison has left dead cap money. I would have rather cut/trade Woodley. 2013 is going to be a long season. Whoever they draft needs to start. There is no reason to waste time on Worilds. He can't play Harrison's position. Worilds can easily fill in for Woodley.

pczach
03-10-2013, 07:26 AM

Thank you for eliminating that A-hole! He's been nothing but an ignorant ass from the first time his filthy fingers touched his keyboard to post here. You, Sir, are my hero!:tt02:

Of course, some people on this message board apparantly think he speaks the truth............................................. .................................ALRIGHTY THEN!!!:screwy:

Fire Haley
03-10-2013, 07:34 AM

It's about fucking time.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
03-10-2013, 07:43 AM
Why does everyone hate Worilds? He has looked good when given the chance.

Yet everyone wants us to draft a OLB in round 1 even tho they'll probably will not start unless its Jarvis Jones but everyone eles will be another 1st round pick sitting on the bench...

Fire Haley
03-10-2013, 07:43 AM
Harrison's exit comes with a cost

Let's not pretend that Harrison and all he's represented, for better or worse, for remarkable or utterly reprehensible, isn't an enormous part of what the Steelers long have been about. Especially on defense.

This is the franchise whose iconic player's accepted first name was “Mean.” It's been the home to Jack Lambert's toothless growl, to Mel Blount's crushing hits that forced rule changes, to a string of over-the-edge outside linebackers from Greg Lloyd to Joey Porter to Harrison, perhaps the most feared of all.

Where will that come from, that sense that the Steelers are not only out to get your quarterback but also to break him into shish kabob-sized bits, now or in the foreseeable future?

From Jason Worilds?

Please. It's true he can squirt through the line for the occasional sack. But he can't stay on the field, he gets steamrollered on the run, and he'll strike as much terror into the heart of opponents as the long snapper.

From LaMarr Woodley?

The guy who was so banged up, so out of shape, that the Cowboys this past season assigned a 5-foot-9 running back to rub him out?

From Lawrence Timmons?

He's coming off a career year, but that's largely because he's finally been left alone on the inside.

From the defensive ends?

Because they combined for, um, nine sacks and six tackles for losses over 16 games?

From Manti Te'o or some other mythical creature to be concocted?

http://triblive.com/news/adminpage/3629414-74/harrison-steelers-player#axzz2Mx9x3pBx

steeltheone
03-10-2013, 07:44 AM
I believe the contract would need be small to re-sign him. Cutting Harrison has left dead cap money. I would have rather cut/trade Woodley. 2013 is going to be a long season. Whoever they draft needs to start. There is no reason to waste time on Worilds. He can't play Harrison's position. Worilds can easily fill in for Woodley.

So you cut/trade Woodley, Harrison plays 8 games or less ( because he is broken down) now you are out 2 linebackers.

Woodley will be fine. I see him stepping up big time this year, after all the criticism he has received this off season.

steelfury02
03-10-2013, 07:47 AM
stupid clocks moving forward - I woke up and I just had 1 hour stolen from my day - at least I got some entertainment from the last few pages lol

I don't know about several seasons of high production from Harrison - I more or less 1 to 2 and then hanging it up.

pczach
03-10-2013, 08:04 AM
His loss is tough, but given the current state of the salary cap situation and what he was asking for, the move had to be made.

ZoneBlitzer
03-10-2013, 10:17 AM
Gut wrenching loss. I always though that it took them too long to insert him into the line up as a starter. You could see that he couldn't be blocked every-time he came in. Because of the relatively low mileage on him, he still has a couple of yrs in him. The direction this team is going in is not good. There are a ton of questions that need to be answered and gaping holes to fill.

LVSteelersfan
03-10-2013, 03:17 PM
Has anyone been watching Harrison the past couple years? He has either been not playing at all or playing very poorly. We may have gotten 2 good games out of him last year. Sorry, but that kind of non-production is not worth the cost.

sloppyjoe
03-10-2013, 05:33 PM
it looks as tho someone was banned.
can the moderator who banned him explain why?

Bane
03-10-2013, 05:38 PM

If you're referring to scottcurtis, does it really need explaining?

harrison'samonster
03-10-2013, 05:39 PM

look at posts 135, 145, and 160.

vasteeler
03-10-2013, 05:44 PM

from what i've seen it was long over due

fer522
03-10-2013, 05:57 PM
can the moderator who banned him explain why it took him as long as it did? :noidea:

lloydwoodson
03-12-2013, 09:51 AM
Reinstate ScottCurtis!

:rofl:

Bane
03-12-2013, 10:53 AM
Reinstate ScottCurtis!

:rofl:

It was kind of funny seeing the ways people twisted his name.

ScrotumCurtis is still my favorite.

Bayz101
03-12-2013, 10:56 AM

Read some of his posts in this thread. It was definitely warranted, not to mention we COULD have banned him on several other occasions in several other threads but we didn't.

Steeldude
03-12-2013, 12:03 PM
Should have never been let go. The Woodley contract is killing the Steelers just as I said it would.

SteelersCanada
03-12-2013, 12:08 PM
Should have never been let go. The Woodley contract is killing the Steelers just as I said it would.

Releasing him causes more cap problems than keeping him. It's not killing us as he just restructured his deal, too.

BlaZeQuietly
03-12-2013, 12:14 PM
things really look bad right now
so far its looking like this

+ Dwyer, Gay
- Harrison, Wallace, Mendenhall and Lewis?

Looks like shit
Granted Harrison wallance and mendenhall had down seasons last year, thats losing a lot of talent. And I'd hate to lose lewis. However this is the steelers and we always seem to find a way.. Maybe we will sign some surprise free agents... who knows, we better if we lose all those guys

Steeldude
03-13-2013, 03:10 AM
Releasing him causes more cap problems than keeping him. It's not killing us as he just restructured his deal, too.

And what happens to next year's cap? You can't keep restructuring. It was killing the Steelers because they had to restructure. Even with the restructure they had to cut their only OLB(Harrison). Lewis won't be signed.

Woodley should have never received that outrageous contract.

zcoop
03-13-2013, 06:09 PM
And what happens to next year's cap? You can't keep restructuring. It was killing the Steelers because they had to restructure. Even with the restructure they had to cut their only OLB(Harrison). Lewis won't be signed.

Woodley should have never received that outrageous contract.

Woodley and a few others too. But we'll have to see how this thing works out. We should be able to get some help with the draft and who knows there might be a few diamonds left in the ruff. Gotta be optomistic at this point.

pete74
03-13-2013, 06:27 PM
I just saw Harrisons agent is talking to Baltimore. I will be very upset if he goes three and ends up knocking Ben out for the year

steeltheone
03-13-2013, 06:33 PM
I just saw Harrisons agent is talking to Baltimore. I will be very upset if he goes three and ends up knocking Ben out for the year

Can't knock a QB out when you are on the IR.:rofl:

harrison'samonster
03-13-2013, 06:39 PM

yeah, Baltimore would be the place I'd least like to see him playing.

Lady Steel
03-13-2013, 07:10 PM
I unliked James Harrison on Facebook just because his agent is "talking" to Baltimore. :laughing:

ETL
03-13-2013, 09:08 PM
Harrison is going to regret going to another team just for a few extra bucks

Bayz101
03-13-2013, 09:14 PM
Harrison is going to regret going to another team just for a few extra bucks

He left us because of a cut of over a few MILLION bucks.

If he gets that money elsewhere, he'll probably be happy with the decision to leave. With the fines Goodell tends to hand out, he'll need all the money he can get with that target on his back.

tony hipchest
03-13-2013, 09:18 PM
He left us because of a cut of over a few MILLION bucks.

If he gets that money elsewhere, he'll probably be happy with the decision to leave. With the fines Goodell tends to hand out, he'll need all the money he can get with that target on his back.he is no longer a steeler.

the fines will cease.

harrison'samonster
03-13-2013, 09:21 PM
If it were me, and I got the money I wanted, I would count that extra two million dollars as "fine money." 2 million would pay for a lot of hitting.

VegasStlrFan
03-13-2013, 11:50 PM
very disappointing, i know his days in the nfl are number but i think hes got another good season left in him...i hate to see that kind of player leave, intimidation is an intangible that isn't replacable with talent alone

lloydwoodson
03-13-2013, 11:55 PM
I unliked James Harrison on Facebook just because his agent is "talking" to Baltimore. :laughing:

I think it's funny you did that but Harrison was released... again... by the Steelers. Harrison was also on the Ravens practice squad once let's not forget because the Steelers had already previously not wanted him.

If I was Harrison you better believe I would want to play for a team with a shot to go all the way and I would also want to stick it to my ex-team for telling me I didn't have anything left in the tank.

I want Harrison to do well no matter where he goes and I would cheer for him no matter what.

Harrison would play LOLB for the Ravens I guess. If he is willing to do that I would prefer to see him in a Packers uniform.

Lady Steel
03-15-2013, 12:56 AM
I think it's funny you did that but Harrison was released... again... by the Steelers. Harrison was also on the Ravens practice squad once let's not forget because the Steelers had already previously not wanted him.

If I was Harrison you better believe I would want to play for a team with a shot to go all the way and I would also want to stick it to my ex-team for telling me I didn't have anything left in the tank.

I want Harrison to do well no matter where he goes and I would cheer for him no matter what.

Harrison would play LOLB for the Ravens I guess. If he is willing to do that I would prefer to see him in a Packers uniform.

You do know that Harrison could have stayed with the Steelers, right?

You think the Ravens have a chance to "go all the way" next year? :toofunny:

Blackout
03-15-2013, 01:06 AM
Would be surreal if he ended up on the Ravens.

austinfrench76
03-16-2013, 10:45 PM
Now that he's going to be a Raven, does his goodbye mean anything?? This sux.

Fire Haley
03-22-2013, 06:36 PM
calm down pilgrims

as time marches on..................................

Get the vet minimum template out...........come back James... It's OK, you know you want to