PDA

View Full Version : Draft Someone or Jason Worilds?

steelersfan299
03-09-2013, 01:42 PM
Whoever is playing at right outside linebacker for the Steelers this year has huge shoes to fill. Much respect to James Harrison and good luck to him in the future. So, should we go after a linebacker in the draft or is Jason Worilds the answer?

harrison'samonster
03-09-2013, 01:46 PM
I don't think Worilds can take that spot, but if the Steelers think he's up to it then give him a chance. I think they're going to have to look to the draft to fill this spot

Fire Arians
03-09-2013, 01:48 PM
I think he's done well actually. when given a shot he could produce. he's no prime harrison, but eh, who is.

his durability is my main concern as he seems to get hurt a lot

SteelersCanada
03-09-2013, 01:49 PM
Barkevious Mingo or Jarvis Jones. Take your pick.

Worilds has done well as a LOLB, but LOLB and ROLB are not interchangeable. It's why he has always struggled when asked to fill in for Harrison.

Fire Arians
mingo would be awesome but likely gone before our turn

rrage
We have no one else, so start Worilds and hope he explodes or draft OLB with #1 pick for starting potential at end of year.

SteelCityMom
03-09-2013, 01:50 PM
Maybe both?

Steel_Bus_24
03-09-2013, 01:53 PM
The FO better Ace this freaking draft.....we better get some impact players

steelersfan299
03-09-2013, 01:55 PM
Maybe both?

We don't need both, don't forget about LaMarr Woodley.

steelersfan299
03-09-2013, 01:58 PM
The FO better Ace this freaking draft.....we better get some impact players

I know the big problem is that we haven't drafted anyone good early in the draft the past couple years except for Maurkice Pouncey and maybe David DeCastro. That's why the team had to rely on the same veteran talent for so long and now they're paying the price for it.

maximebg
03-09-2013, 02:00 PM
They should let Worilds play... He knows the system and did a good job the last 2 years...

casteeler
03-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Play Worlids and develop the other LB this team has in the works. The Steelers need to draft a RB,TE,Saftey and backup QB then worry about the LB position

SteelCityMom
03-09-2013, 02:16 PM

I just like spending money. :chuckle:

Fire Haley
03-09-2013, 02:21 PM
. So, should we go after a linebacker in the draft or is Jason Worilds the answer?

yes and no

Steelers5895
03-09-2013, 02:34 PM
Worilds will be a stop gap like Clark Haggans was until they find the long term replacement

kan_t
03-09-2013, 02:39 PM
Barkevious Mingo or Jarvis Jones. Take your pick.

Worilds has done well as a LOLB, but LOLB and ROLB are not interchangeable. It's why he has always struggled when asked to fill in for Harrison.
Jarvis Jones.

He's a better player and much more polished.

PhantomJB93
03-09-2013, 03:01 PM
Jason Worilds will be fine if given a chance. He won't be DPOY but he'll be an above average pass rusher and generate pressure. But if Jarvis Jones, Dion Jordan, or Ezekiel Ansah fall you have to take one of them.

nikstar
03-09-2013, 03:24 PM
I like Worilds from what I've seen from him when he's not injured. Saying that, can he stay on the field? I wouldn't be opposed to going for OLB in the draft, although I'm kinda hoping it's not first pick as much as I want Jones. Is Worilds ready to replace one the greatest Steeler linebackers of all time? Probably the best my generation has seen? No, I don't think so, but if any team can have a nobody linebacker turn into a star in one season because the "better" guy who was infront of him left, it would be the Steelers.

BKAnthem
03-09-2013, 03:54 PM
Time for 1 of these 100's of LB picks by Colbert to step up...we have more urgent needs elsewhere

SaskSteeler
03-09-2013, 04:15 PM
I've seen a stat that Worilds has played just under a seasons worth of snaps and has 10 sacks in that time. So I think he's at least earned the chance to show what he can do with consistent playing time

pete74
03-09-2013, 04:18 PM
Worilds can definitely do it. He's impressed the hell out of me but I'm concerned about his health. He is always injured as a backup so what's going to happen when he starts.
As for drafting an OLB, we definitely will but he won't be our starter next season. We almost never start rookie defenders

MasterOfPuppets
03-09-2013, 04:32 PM
jarvis jones played both sides of the line. if he's available at 17 thats who i'd go with.
if worilds has a good year he'll be looking for big bucks...hello jarvis... if woodley has another crappy year...hello jarvis ...:thumbsup:

steeltheone
03-09-2013, 05:04 PM
jarvis jones played both sides of the line. if he's available at 17 thats who i'd go with.
if worilds has a good year he'll be looking for big bucks...hello jarvis... if woodley has another crappy year...hello jarvis ...:thumbsup:

Thats the problem. He probably won't be there at 17.

Hawaii 5-0
03-09-2013, 05:21 PM
OK, who will replace James Harrison?

March 9th, 2013
Mark Kaboly | Tribune-Review

With the Steelers departing ways with James Harrison on Saturday in a salary cap move, the question quickly moved to who will replace the All-Pro linebacker on the right side?

The logical answer is Jason Worilds ó a former 2nd-round pick that showed flashes last year while replacing Harrison early in the season and LaMarr Woodley late in the season.

According to ProFootballFocus, Worilds finished the season with five sacks despite only rushing the passer 175 times. By comparison, Harrison had six sacks in 310 pass rushes and Woodley four sacks in 245 pass rushes.

Worilds has played in 999 snaps in three season and has 10 career sacks.

Despite the improvement from Worilds, the Steelers arenít 100 percent sold on him because of his lack of experience and his inability to stay healthy and will look for competition for him on the free agency market so thatís why they are exploring free that possibility.

The organization has their eyes on at least three what can be considered young and underutilized free agent outside linebackers. Taking a linebacker early in the draft would not help the situation immediately.

The issue with a free agent replacement is that the Steelers donít have a ton of money to throw at that position especially since they just released a guy because of money. The Steelers would likely be only willing to offer $3-4 million per season to a guy like that, and that wouldnít entice many young free agents with potential.

So unless the Steelers are willing to scratch together a little more money to offer a free agent linebacker, they will have no choice but to hand the job over to Worilds.

And if Worilds stays healthy, that might not be a bad thing Ö that is if he stays healthy.

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2013/03/09/ok-who-will-replace-james-harrison/

PhantomJB93
03-09-2013, 05:30 PM
OK, who will replace James Harrison?

March 9th, 2013
Mark Kaboly | Tribune-Review

With the Steelers departing ways with James Harrison on Saturday in a salary cap move, the question quickly moved to who will replace the All-Pro linebacker on the right side?

The logical answer is Jason Worilds ó a former 2nd-round pick that showed flashes last year while replacing Harrison early in the season and LaMarr Woodley late in the season.

According to ProFootballFocus, Worilds finished the season with five sacks despite only rushing the passer 175 times. By comparison, Harrison had six sacks in 310 pass rushes and Woodley four sacks in 245 pass rushes.

Worilds has played in 999 snaps in three season and has 10 career sacks.

Despite the improvement from Worilds, the Steelers arenít 100 percent sold on him because of his lack of experience and his inability to stay healthy and will look for competition for him on the free agency market so thatís why they are exploring free that possibility.

The organization has their eyes on at least three what can be considered young and underutilized free agent outside linebackers. Taking a linebacker early in the draft would not help the situation immediately.

The issue with a free agent replacement is that the Steelers donít have a ton of money to throw at that position especially since they just released a guy because of money. The Steelers would likely be only willing to offer $3-4 million per season to a guy like that, and that wouldnít entice many young free agents with potential.

So unless the Steelers are willing to scratch together a little more money to offer a free agent linebacker, they will have no choice but to hand the job over to Worilds.

And if Worilds stays healthy, that might not be a bad thing Ö that is if he stays healthy.

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2013/03/09/ok-who-will-replace-james-harrison/

I really don't see us signing any FA's with the intention of starting them, maybe a depth guy...if nobody is drafted in the first round this is Worilds' job to lose, and even if somebody is drafted the only guy who might come in immediately is Jones, any of the other 3-4 OLB prospects would just sit a year or two.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-09-2013, 06:05 PM
Woodley and Worilds will go into camp as the starters. An OLB will be drafted and it will be up to Worilds to have a strong season or it will be his last as a Steeler.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
03-09-2013, 07:19 PM
There's been talk of Woodley taking the rolb spot ( big money pass rusher needs to go against big money left tackles )

We all just have to wait for training camp to see what will happen. A draft pick will not come in and start right away, so it's Woodley and worlids together this year ( WWII let the war begin ):tt04:

steelers33
03-09-2013, 08:07 PM
There's been talk of Woodley taking the rolb spot ( big money pass rusher needs to go against big money left tackles )

We all just have to wait for training camp to see what will happen. A draft pick will not come in and start right away, so it's Woodley and worlids together this year ( WWII let the war begin ):tt04:

I don't think Woodley has the flexibility to switch to the blindside. He's too big, he's better on the offensive's right side, because he can you use his size to anchor against the run. Its either gonna be Jason Worilds, or if he falls to us, Jarvis Jones. But, it is time for Woodley to step his shit up.

austinfrench76
03-09-2013, 09:22 PM
Worilds probably. But Bouchette said on Twitter that they may move Timmons to that spot. Just speculation but it is what it is. I know he hasn't looked great filling in there so far but he certainly has potential...

harrison'samonster
03-09-2013, 09:25 PM
Worilds probably. But Bouchette said on Twitter that they may move Timmons to that spot. Just speculation but it is what it is. I know he hasn't looked great filling in there so far but he certainly has potential...

I saw that too. Not sure I like the idea of moving timmons after he's improved so much at the position he's in now.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
03-10-2013, 12:50 AM

Who the hell is going to play ilb

Steeldude
03-10-2013, 06:19 AM

Woodley can't play that side. Woodley needs TEs or RBs to block him.

The Steelers should treat 2013 as a re-building season. Woodley's contract hit is even worse next season.

Rick5895
03-10-2013, 07:59 AM
Yes we do need both. Worilds is a UFA at the end of this year. If he "explodes" we will lose him elsewhere. We need a quality outside linebacker opposite Woodley to force teams to play "honest" with blocking schemmes

Hawaii 5-0
03-10-2013, 09:13 PM
On the Steelers: Harrison release could be a sign of things to come

March 10, 2013
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers cut James Harrison on Saturday even though he had two years left on his contract. • Of the major sports, only in football does something like this regularly happen. In baseball, hockey and basketball, contracts are guaranteed. In football, they are not. A team can cut a player at any time and not owe him a dime in most situations.

Is it fair? Yes, actually, because that is the system in the NFL and the players know it. Players sign contracts knowing that the only money that is guaranteed is the guaranteed money, really the signing bonuses they get up front, which can be so high that they also guarantee the first few years of the roster bonuses and salaries stipulated in their contract as well.

Harrison was due $6.57 million this year and $7,575,000 in 2014. When he signed his six-year, $51.75 million contract in April of 2009, he had to know that while it stipulated he was under contract through 2014 that it was entirely possible he would not see the final two years when he was 35 and 36 years old.

Harrison still wants to play, and the Steelers believed he could still be an asset to them, which is why they were trying to negotiate to keep him last week. It came down to this: How low would Harrison go before he refused to play for that number? We don't know how low, but it wasn't low enough and the Steelers shaved roughly $5 million from their salary cap for 2013 by releasing him. Another team will undoubtedly sign him to a one-year contract, but for how much? He might make a little more than what the Steelers offered him in a reduction, but would that be enough to make up for joining another team and learning another defense?

There are downsides for the Steelers as well. They do not have confidence in Jason Worilds or Chris Carter that either can adequately replace Harrison, although one or both might surprise them now that they will get that chance. The move will not go over big in a locker room that some players have proclaimed already was fractured in 2012.

But, as they say, it's a business. Casey Hampton took a paycut to stay last season. Jerome Bettis twice took paycuts to stay and it worked out pretty good for him. Harrison was willing to take some kind of paycut, but it just wasn't enough.

Where does Worilds factor in?

Somewhat lost in the discussions about Harrison is the plight of Worilds.

The Steelers drafted Worilds in the second round in 2010, a defensive end at Virginia Tech that they projected as a 3-4 outside linebacker. It is a tactic they have used so many times through the years. On that day three years ago, some people involved in the Steelers draft expected them to choose linebacker Sean Lee of Penn State with their second pick. They were surprised when they took Worilds instead, and there are suspicions that Mike Tomlin stepped in and expressed his interest in Worilds over Lee.

There may be reasons why Worilds has made little impact in his three seasons, including a wrist injury last year and playing behind Pro Bowl players Harrison and LaMarr Woodley. But, in the normal course of events, the Steelers would let Harrison go and turn to Worilds, just as they let Joey Porter go in 2007 and turned to Harrison.

They were pursuing the soon-to-be-35-year-old Harrison to play one more season, which showed they were not confident Worilds can do the job. This time next year, Worilds will be an unrestricted free agent.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/on-the-steelers-harrison-release-could-be-a-sign-of-things-to-come-678724/#ixzz2NBHHvUXQ

harrison'samonster
03-10-2013, 09:17 PM
I hope Worilds can be the man, I guess we'll know more what the Steelers think come draft day.

TheVet
03-11-2013, 03:06 AM
They should let Worilds play... He knows the system and did a good job the last 2 years...

Yes, he absolutely owned the hot tub. You could even say he was a leader in that hot tub.

VaDave
03-11-2013, 01:22 PM
BTW, are you all aware that Worilds in limited playing time last year, had 6 sacks? If he played an entire season at RT, he could be a 10-12 sack a year man. He also had more tackles that Woodley, with more solos tackles. The only thing he hasn't done better than Woodley is come up with the clutch plays that Woodley has a knack for. Other than that, Worilds has better production numbers. Has for two years now.

In fairness, Worlids is not likely to make us forget about Harrison, or Lloyd, or Kevin Greene, but the kid can play a bit and I think he will only get better the more he plays. Shortly after the draft, Assuming we haven't drafted the next Lawrence Taylor, if I were Colbert, I'd be looking to lock this kid up.

TheVet
03-11-2013, 01:56 PM
I have to say, this move really bothers me. We're letting an NFL MVP defensive player walk away while he's still playing at a top-notch level, without a proven backup.

This feels a lot more like rebuilding than reloading to me.

SteelersCanada
03-11-2013, 01:59 PM
BTW, are you all aware that Worilds in limited playing time last year, had 6 sacks? If he played an entire season at RT, he could be a 10-12 sack a year man. He also had more tackles that Woodley, with more solos tackles. The only thing he hasn't done better than Woodley is come up with the clutch plays that Woodley has a knack for. Other than that, Worilds has better production numbers. Has for two years now.

In fairness, Worlids is not likely to make us forget about Harrison, or Lloyd, or Kevin Greene, but the kid can play a bit and I think he will only get better the more he plays. Shortly after the draft, Assuming we haven't drafted the next Lawrence Taylor, if I were Colbert, I'd be looking to lock this kid up.

He's a good LOLB, but he can't play ROLB. The problem is, if you put Worilds at LOLB, who's playing ROLB? It can't be Woodley as they're not interchangeable positions, so there's still a void at ROLB. There's also the argument that Worilds didn't have better numbers than Woodley in the first 9 weeks of 2011 as Woodley had 8 sacks which lead the NFL. Until he was injured, Woodley was playing as a top 2 LOLB in the NFL.

We have one great (when healthy) 'Backer in Woodley and one good, but unproven, Linebacker in Worilds. We don't have even a decent ROLB though and that's the issue here.

VaDave
03-11-2013, 02:14 PM
He's a good LOLB, but he can't play ROLB. The problem is, if you put Worilds at LOLB, who's playing ROLB? It can't be Woodley as they're not interchangeable positions, so there's still a void at ROLB. There's also the argument that Worilds didn't have better numbers than Woodley in the first 9 weeks of 2011 as Woodley had 8 sacks which lead the NFL. Until he was injured, Woodley was playing as a top 2 LOLB in the NFL.

We have one great (when healthy) 'Backer in Woodley and one good, but unproven, Linebacker in Worilds. We don't have even a decent ROLB though and that's the issue here.

By what matrix has Woodley ever been judged as a top 2 OLB? May be for the first few games of 2011. Other than that, you need to look at his career stat line. 3 tackles a game??? For a top two??? My gosh what does a top ten OLB do? Play Conasta??

I'm thinking Worilds can play either side, and will be given a fair shot at Harrison's spot. Playing weak side may have a bit of an advantage as you don't have as many blocker to deal with.

SteelersCanada
03-11-2013, 02:17 PM
By what matrix has Woodley ever been judged as a top 2 OLB? May be for the first few games of 2011. Other than that, you need to look at his career stat line. 3 tackles a game??? For a top two??? My gosh what does a top ten OLB do? Play Conasta??

I'm thinking Worilds can play either side, and will be given a fair shot at Harrison's spot. Playing weak side may have a bit of an advantage as you don't have as many blocker to deal with.

Judging an OLB by tackles and not sacks is a mistake. They're there to apply consistent pressure and blow the offensive line up while providing solid run support which, again, in 2011, Woodley was able to do with great consistency for the first nine games. Do you remember those first few weeks? He was a force and it seemed like he couldn't be stopped. 8 sacks in 9 games is pretty unbelievable.

VaDave
03-11-2013, 02:46 PM
9 games?? He's been in the league how long?

I'm hear to tell you as far as holding ground, Worilds is MUCH better at the point of attack than Woodley. My gosh man, go back and look at the games from the last couple of years. Against most ZBS plays Woodley habitually is pushed outside the numbers, not by linemen, or a lineman, but tight ends and WRs one on one.

Go to NFL Game Rewind, about $20-$30 bucks you can watch a whole season in a little over 4 hours, and just watch Woodley. They have all of the game film for the last 4 years. Plus they have some vintage superbowl games too. It's really a great investment for a football fan.

Back to lumbering Lamar. Let me give you a synopsis on his game: He plays an average of 35 snaps a game. Out of which we get the following, and this INCLUDES is STELLER 9 games of 2011. You get 3 tackles a game, 1.72 of which are solos, on a defense that funnels the ball to his side of the field BTW, and a WHOPPING .75 sacks a game.

That according to my arithmetic, leaves him with roughly, 30 plays, of which 5 might be considered a QB hurry, 10 that are back in a soft zone pass coverage, and I DO mean soft, like there isn't an offensive player within ten yards of him, with the rest of the day being spent contentedly play patty cake with a TE, WR, RB, an occasional serious interaction with an OT that hasn't figured out what a fraud he's up against.

My friendly Canuck, you need to go back and look at the game film if you don't believe me. His contract was the biggest waste of cap space in our teams history. The dude is highly overated, not to mention over paid, IMO. Most that will take the time to focus on him and what he does play in and play out will agree. Like I said, he will make a splash play from time to time , but the rest of the time, which is the vast majority of the time he is on the field, he's really not that great, and the films bear it out.

Hawaii 5-0
03-11-2013, 05:56 PM
Steelers need Jason Worilds to make the most of his first full season as a starter in the NFL

By SteelCityRoller on Mar 11 201

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/9481417/20120909_jel_ac4_317.0_standard_500.0.jpg

For Worilds, 2013 will not only be his first year as a starting outside linebacker, but it will also be the first time he's had an entire off-season program to prepare.

Ever since the Pittsburgh Steelers parted ways with the legendary James Harrison, lofty expectations for 2013 have been aimed at fourth-year player, Jason Worilds. As Mark Kaboly pointed out on Twitter this morning, 2013 will be Worilds best chance for success, since it is the first time he has been able to participate in an entire off-season program.

Worilds was taken in the second round of the 2010 NFL Draft; and like most defensive rookies in Pittsburgh, he would have little opportunity to break in during his first season, although he did see action in 14 of the team's 16 regular season games, finishing the year with two defensive tackles and two sacks. He saw most of his action on special teams, although he spent time filling in for an injured LaMarr Woodley. Worilds' two missed games came as a result of shoulder and knee injuries.

Everyone suffered from the lockout in 2011, which prevented all players from participating in off-season conditioning programs and organized team activities. The lack of the extra work was evident all season as injuries - especially hamstring and fitness issues - affected every single team in the league. Worilds actually started seven games for Pittsburgh in 2011, but he only appeared in 12 regular season games, as he dealt with a quad injury which forced him to miss four consecutive games.

In 2012, Worilds was forced to miss the entire pre-season program with a wrist injury, which had originally lost him the second spot on the ROLB depth chart to Chris Carter. Carter performed like a second-year player, and was eventually lost to injured reserve. Worilds finished out the 2012 season as the primary backup to both outside positions, and even finished second on the team in sacks behind Lawrence Timmons during a disappointing 2012 campaign. Worilds only started three contests this year, but he appeared in all 16 regular season games.

Whether the Steelers choose to seek Harrison's replacement in the draft or in free-agency, few have been able to step into prominent roles in Dick LeBeau's defense in their first years. It would take a Herculean effort to move the Titanic Worilds off of the top of the depth chart; or another Worilds-injury.

If Worilds is able to be productive in his first full season as a starter, he could entice the Steelers to offer him a new contract when his rookie deal expires following the 2013 season. However, should the team draft an eventual starter, Worilds could simply be a placeholder and mentor to the heir-apparent, regardless of how well he plays. He could become a cap casualty when he becomes an unrestricted free-agent.

Worilds, more than any other player on the roster, has plenty to prove in Pittsburgh. Even if they choose to part ways after the season, he will need to prove to the rest of the league he is more than just a special teams and part-time-defensive contributor, if he wants to remain in the NFL. The easiest way to do so, is to win the Steelers starting job outright, leaving little doubt about the team making the right move by releasing Harrison.

Winning covers a multitude of sins.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/3/11/4088770/steelers-need-jason-worilds-to-make-the-most-of-his-first-full-season

67 calsteel
03-12-2013, 01:37 PM
The steelers will draft at least one olb.Worlds will be the starter.
What about A.Robinson.We are looking for someone to put pressure on the qb and if i remember right Tomlin said he was a one trick pony.That one trick rushing the passer.Kid looked good in preason but was not give a chance to play anything but special teams.

I know it is the steeler way but have Robinson be used as a pass rushing speciallist and Worlds as a 2 down lineback.

Would like us to Give the kid Lindsey from pitt another try

VaDave
03-12-2013, 01:59 PM

Robinson was a very raw talent last year, and I'm fairly sure he's going to need at least another year of seasoning before he's ready to go primetime. He could become the next great OLB for us, but he's a way aways.

67 calsteel
03-12-2013, 03:22 PM
vaDave i agree that he is still raw.I was not suggesting he start this year only get sometime as a pass rushing specialist in 2nd or most likely 3 and long.
Hoping with another preseaon with Keith butler he will be ready to contibute in those situation.

Steeldude
03-13-2013, 04:14 AM
Yes we do need both. Worilds is a UFA at the end of this year. If he "explodes" we will lose him elsewhere. We need a quality outside linebacker opposite Woodley to force teams to play "honest" with blocking schemmes

It's not like Woodley gets doubled. A TE or a RB usually takes care of Woodley

Rick5895
03-13-2013, 04:26 AM
It's not like Woodley gets doubled. A TE or a RB usually takes care of Woodley
Thats true, however, IF woodley comes back in shape and IF he lives to his promise when he was given the big money a decent OLB opposite him is a necessity. I know that those are big IF's but I'm trying to optimistic rather than pessimistic like a lot of folks on here.

Galax Steeler
03-13-2013, 04:29 AM
I still think we need to draft one but I would like to give Worilds a chance starting a full season.

lloydwoodson
03-14-2013, 11:33 AM
9 games?? He's been in the league how long?

I'm hear to tell you as far as holding ground, Worilds is MUCH better at the point of attack than Woodley. My gosh man, go back and look at the games from the last couple of years. Against most ZBS plays Woodley habitually is pushed outside the numbers, not by linemen, or a lineman, but tight ends and WRs one on one.

Back to lumbering Lamar. Let me give you a synopsis on his game: He plays an average of 35 snaps a game. Out of which we get the following, and this INCLUDES is STELLER 9 games of 2011. You get 3 tackles a game, 1.72 of which are solos, on a defense that funnels the ball to his side of the field BTW, and a WHOPPING .75 sacks a game.

That according to my arithmetic, leaves him with roughly, 30 plays, of which 5 might be considered a QB hurry, 10 that are back in a soft zone pass coverage, and I DO mean soft, like there isn't an offensive player within ten yards of him, with the rest of the day being spent contentedly play patty cake with a TE, WR, RB, an occasional serious interaction with an OT that hasn't figured out what a fraud he's up against.

My friendly Canuck, you need to go back and look at the game film if you don't believe me. His contract was the biggest waste of cap space in our teams history. The dude is highly overated, not to mention over paid, IMO. Most that will take the time to focus on him and what he does play in and play out will agree. Like I said, he will make a splash play from time to time , but the rest of the time, which is the vast majority of the time he is on the field, he's really not that great, and the films bear it out.

Wow. The Woodley-hatred is strong in this one. The guy has one bad season and you jump all over him. Kneejerk reaction much?

Woodley holds the edge as well as any OLB in the league. He is excellent at the point of attack he is damn near immovable against the run. I have no idea where you decided he gets blocked by wide receivers because that is laughable. I'm not sure how a WR would line up against a LOLB in the first place... Woodley almost never has man coverage responsibilities.

.75 sacks a game is actually pretty good- that is 12 sacks per full season.

Woodley has 11 sacks in 8 playoff games for his career. The guy shows up big in big games. Thats 1.4 sacks per playoff game- but I guess you'd rather have Clark Haggans back?

Bottom line is Woodley's health really held him back last year. He was not able to train the way he usually does and it hurt his play on the field.

Woodley has to and will become a leader on defense in the years ahead.

There are only a handful of OLB in the league I would consider to be better than Woodley: D Ware, Matthews, Aldon Smith, Von Miller.

Fire Haley
03-14-2013, 11:39 AM
Bouchette said on Twitter that they may move Timmons to that spot

Bouchette is a knob

SteelersCanada
03-14-2013, 11:41 AM
We already experimented with Timmons playing OLB and it didn't work. Does Bouchette make it up as he goes along?

wwhickok
03-14-2013, 11:53 AM
Timmons is too valuable at ILB regardless.

lloydwoodson
03-14-2013, 12:26 PM
We already experimented with Timmons playing OLB and it didn't work. Does Bouchette make it up as he goes along?

Huzzah! We agree on yet another issue. :chuckle:

SteelersCanada
03-14-2013, 12:28 PM
Huzzah! We agree on yet another issue. :chuckle:

We're breakin' records here. :wink02: