PDA

View Full Version : Favorite James Harrison Moment....

wootawnee
03-09-2013, 03:26 PM
Whats your favorite James Harrison moment in Steeler History....?

Mine is when he body slammed Ed Reed and the he fumbled and we recovered....Best dang hit and perfect tackle that I've seen since...

Oh yea , The Superbowl Pic...."The Imaculate Interception"...Forgot about that....

Steelers5895
03-09-2013, 03:35 PM
slamming the browns fan down #1

Super Bowl TD #2

Slamming Ed Reed #3

I can see james in Indy or New Orleans

Stu Pidasso
03-09-2013, 03:42 PM
#1: I was there when he slammed the Browns fan. The entire stadium ERUPTED with Steeler fans cheering.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a220/StuPidasso2/Harrisonmotivation.jpg

#2: Meeting him at a charity function. Even though I'm "bigger" than him, dude intimidated the hell out of me...

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a220/StuPidasso2/JimiJamesHarrison.jpg

He is/was my favorite player since Lambert. The embodiment of Steelers Football. I am sad today, I will miss him.

Next man up.

harrison'samonster
03-09-2013, 03:47 PM
since it hasn't been mentioned, I always got a kick out of the time Brady ran into the endzone to run his mouth at Anthony Smith after they'd scored. As Brady was in the endzone he turned around and ran face-to-face with Harrison. Needless to say Brady immediately shut his face and ran to the sideline.

Stu Pidasso
03-09-2013, 03:49 PM
HA! I remembee that! Can anyone find that Youtube clip?

teegre
03-09-2013, 04:55 PM
I remember one game (against the Browns, I believe), where Harrison slipped & was pushed to the ground by the OT. Harrison waited... and when the RB ran behind the OT, Harrison shot his body into the OT's shins, knocking him over slightly... and with his arms (between the OT's legs), Harrison grabbed the RB by the ankles, tripping him up for a loss.

Now THAT is never giving up on a play.

Oh... and there was the whole INT return for a TD in the SuperBowl thing.

GMU Steeler
03-09-2013, 04:59 PM
It's gotta be the 100 yard INT for a TD in the SB. As I recall, time actually expired as he got the TD so it was either a pick six or nothing. We ended up winning that game by 4 points and the Cardinals looked like they were going to get a TD or at least a FG so that play had a huge difference in the outcome. I never actually saw the Browns fan thing since the game wasn't on here but it was a good first exposure to him. Anyhow, he's going to be missed. He was just so fun to watch because he was so good at getting sacks and forcing turnovers.

Terminator
03-09-2013, 05:01 PM
The 100 yard interception in the SuperBowl.

It was an immortal moment in football and will be remembered forever.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
03-09-2013, 05:10 PM
http://worldonline.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/photos/2005/10/11/STEELERS_CHARGERS_bw_sports_t640.jpg?a6ea3ebd4438a 44b86d2e9c39ecf7613005fe067

Hawaii 5-0
03-09-2013, 05:15 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/1208/pg2_2009harrison_576.jpg

Hawaii 5-0
03-09-2013, 05:57 PM
A Death Watch

By Jim Wexell
Publisher SteelCityInsider.net
Posted Mar 8, 2013

From the notebook of a sportswriter who’s sitting at his computer awaiting the death of a linebacker:

* Of course that’s overwrought. But when you’re waiting for news from the team you cover about the imminent release of the most interesting, menacing, brutal, and brutally honest football player you’ve ever covered, it’s a death watch.

* Ray Davies once sang, “Celluloid Heroes never feel any pain. Celluloid Heroes never really die.” So in that regard, yes, James Harrison will live, and thrive, on tape forever.

* I interviewed him the first day he reported for spring practice. He had been the subject of a brief at the bottom of a notebook in the previous day’s metro newspaper. One of the Steelers’ scouts, Phil Kreidler, told the reporter that this undrafted rookie out of Kent State was “mean.”

* I assumed this to be typical scout talk about a young linebacker, but I also wanted to ask Harrison if he felt any sort of kindred spirit with another former Steelers linebacker from Kent State.

* But Harrison proceeded to rip Jack Lambert – on the first day of spring camp as an undrafted rookie in the Pittsburgh Steelers’ locker room.

* Harrison, he didn’t much care about Lambert because Lambert never came back to Kent or did anything to help him. Harrison then said he didn’t much care if I liked what he was saying or not. And then he walked away.

* That’s when I started listening more closely to what Phil Kreidler had to say.

* A few years later I asked Harrison if he ever heard from Lambert. Harrison proudly said that he had, that Lambert – an old-school man of letters – had written Harrison to tell him how proud he was, as a fellow alum, of his accomplishments and the way he played the game. James said he cherished the letter.

* Well, he didn’t actually use the word “cherish.” He would’ve had to kill me.

* I watched Harrison closely his first training camp and his strength was undeniable. The only other rookie I remember standing out so vividly was Willie Parker.

* While Harrison’s brute strength was fun to watch, his idiosyncrasies were just plain funny. He’d knock over a guy during special-teams practice and then stand over him and glare down in personal victory – oblivious to the return man running past him.

* My friend and colleague Dale Lolley called him “Shaft. John Shaft.” But the nickname never stuck. “Silverback” was the choice for a while. And then “Deebo.” Then he just became James, which is saying something for such a common name.

* “I can’t wait till we cut that *&!@%*#,” said Mike Archer.

* Harrison’s first linebackers coach with the Steelers later came around to James’s, um, frustration in dealing with being coached and corrected, and Archer laughed about the comment some years later. But he told me that he heard James still dislikes him.

* Archer told me that Joey Porter and Jason Gildon should be credited for Harrison’s development. I relayed that quote to Harrison and he shrugged it off and said it didn’t mean much. “As far as Archer goes, that’s another story in itself,” Harrison said. But, I told James, Archer had wished him well.

“It’s great that he wishes me well,” Harrison said. “But like I said, that’s just something else altogether.”

* In spite of their difficulties, Harrison turned out rather well. Thank God for demanding coaches.

* “I think the funniest thing James ever said,” recalled Chris Hoke, “was when Coach Cowher was here. He had a block in the back, Silverback did, and Coach Cowher came up to him and started yelling at him, and Silverback said to him, ‘(Expletive) happens.’ Cowher was like, ‘I respect that.’”

* Scott Brown, a reporter for the Trib, was just doing his job one day when Harrison began ripping into an official after a game. Harrison implied that the official was cheating, throwing the game, and after Brown published the quote Harrison was fined $15,000 by the league. The next day Harrison walked into the packed locker room during media time and yelled, “Which one of you (expletive deleteds) is Scott Brown!?!” The room became hushed. No one answered. After a pause Harrison yelled, “You owe me $15,000!”

* In 2006 Sports Illustrated put Joey Porter on its cover with the title “NFL’s Meanest Man,” which became something a joke in the Steelers’ locker room because Porter wasn’t even the meanest man at his position on his team.

* One day I learned that one of Harrison’s college teammates, Roy Attieh, had died in a car accident a few days earlier. I asked Harrison about him, and he began to cry. Another reporter and I walked away. That reporter said, “You realize he’s going to have to kill you now.”

* I thought our bond might actually have become a bit tighter after that, but I never really assumed it, or tried to use it. I did ask him for his mom’s phone number. I wanted to start my tour for my book Steeler Nation in Akron with the Hall of Fame Game at the start of the 2007 season. I was as nervous as a freshman asking a girl out for a date, but Harrison said, “Yeah, no problem. What’s your name again?” I don’t think he ever remembered it. So much for our “bond.”

* The $15,000 fine for calling an official a cheater was a pittance compared to the heavy stuff that began to roll up later in Harrison’s career. In 2010 he accumulated $125,000 in fines, and of course became the centerpiece of just about every story on the new NFL, the safety issues, concussions. It was all anyone seemed to want to discuss with Harrison at that year’s Super Bowl. I was standing next to him when a reporter asked him about concussions, and Harrison said, “Concussions are part of the risk I take with my job, and I love my job. Don’t you love your job?”

“Yeah,” said the reporter, “But concussions aren’t a part of my job.”

“They will be if you ask another question like that,” Harrison said.

* Oh, my, the 100-yard interception return before halftime of Super Bowl 43; the slamming of the drunken Browns fan who wandered onto the field; getting his big break because “Peezy” got into a fight right before game time and Alonzo Jackson couldn’t play special teams and was inactive; the Monday Night demolition of the Ravens in 2007 with 10 tackles, 6 QB hits, 3½ sacks, 3 forced fumbles and an interception.

* The strength, the bend, the burst, the violence upon impact.

* A few years after Harrison had developed into a star, I asked a scout if character issues were the reason the Steelers didn’t draft Harrison after he had led the MAC with 15 sacks. “No way,” said the scout. “If he came out today we’d have the same problem with his size and speed.”

* That’s why these guys are so hard to find. Just because the Steelers got lucky three times in a row – Greg Lloyd, Porter and Harrison – doesn’t mean Jason Worilds is a failure for not being a freak.

* And here I am, toggling back and forth between my Word document and the Internet for the bad news, because bad news is normally announced on Fridays.

* But as my deadline approaches, I’m arguing with someone on Twitter over who’s a better 3-4 OLB draft prospect: Damontre Moore or Corey Lemonier.

* As if it matters. As if the Steelers will just find the next James Harrison on purpose, or because they’re that much smarter than everyone else.

* Let’s just hope by the start of the NFL’s fiscal New Year on Tuesday that we can have a good laugh at the prematurity of this column, that James had stood strong and called the Steelers’ bluff, and that the Steelers had found a way to keep him.

http://pit.scout.com/2/1272901.html

harrison'samonster
03-09-2013, 06:14 PM
the Monday Night demolition of the Ravens in 2007 with 10 tackles, 6 QB hits, 3½ sacks, 3 forced fumbles and an interception.

I can't believe I forgot about how good he was that game!

Steel Peon
03-09-2013, 06:34 PM

That was his "coming out" party of sorts, and I had just been talking shit about how he's going to make other teams wish we still had Joey Porter. I'd never been so happy to be proven right, AND in fucking spades!

Oh yeah, and my favorite Silverback moment was when he told Bill Cowher "Shit happens." And then Cowher said on the sidelines "I think I just got my best response ever, Silverback just told me 'Shit happens.' I'll gives you that James, but I better never see that again!"

FrancoLambert
03-09-2013, 06:46 PM
The Immaculate Interception.

His overall demeanor. The way he approached playing football. His toughness and at times brutality because that's football.

Another great Steeler LB.

Thanks, James.

Hawaii 5-0
03-09-2013, 06:54 PM
my favorite James Harrison quote regarding Roger Goodell:

"If that man was on fire and I had to piss to put him out, I wouldn't do it” :chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-09-2013, 07:31 PM
-Super Bowl TD

-Ravens demolition on monday night

-Bodyslamming that Browns fan

-Hurdling a Charger on an interception

-Colt McCoy hit

OX1947
03-09-2013, 07:47 PM
Great, thanks for posting this and making me even more depressed. This (bleep) sucks!

austinfrench76
03-09-2013, 09:23 PM
Al of them!!!!!!!!

SB td return has to be mine though!

Curtain_of_Steel
03-09-2013, 09:42 PM
El:

Definately as you listed, I was thinking the Colt McCoy hit need to be added. He still doesn;t know his name.

The INT got us the SB, that as a true moment has to be No.1, The others should be the greatest hits. Different cateogoires, you can not combine those moments.

lloydwoodson
03-09-2013, 09:45 PM
My favourite Debo moment just might be...

SMZoFcWY3XE

:rofl:

harrison'samonster
03-09-2013, 09:51 PM
I also like the one where a reporter was arguing with Harrison about concussions. Harrison said something like "concussions are a part of my job" and the reporter responded "concussions aren't a part of my job." Harrison replied "they will be if you keep asking stupid questions."

Fire Arians
03-09-2013, 10:23 PM
Whats your favorite James Harrison moment in Steeler History....?

Mine is when he body slammed Ed Reed and the he fumbled and we recovered....Best dang hit and perfect tackle that I've seen since...

Oh yea , The Superbowl Pic...."The Imaculate Interception"...Forgot about that....

same on both counts. without his INT return in the super bowl i dont think we win that game

Lady Steel
03-09-2013, 10:36 PM
My favourite Debo moment just might be...

SMZoFcWY3XE

:rofl:

:laughing:

The SB TD was all kinds of awesome, but I would have to say my favorite James Harrison moment was when he slammed the Browns' fan to the ground. Epic!

steeltheone
03-09-2013, 10:53 PM
My favorite moment will be when he is playing for some 4-12 team next year...But at least he has the money!

NSMaster56
03-09-2013, 11:55 PM
Super Bowl INT TD and it's not even close.

ZoneBlitzer
03-10-2013, 11:20 AM
The 100 yard interception in the SuperBowl.

It was an immortal moment in football and will be remembered forever.

Yup. It helped win them the game. Greatest moment in SB history IMO. I went bat-shit crazy.

PS. there should be a new thread entitled: other than the SB INT, what was your favorite James Harrison moment?

IamTheSteelGod
03-10-2013, 04:01 PM
Mine too is the Tomlinson hurdle.

Bane
03-10-2013, 04:22 PM
The time he, alongside Brett Keisel and Aaron Smith, slammed Vince Young's face into the ground.

wootawnee
03-10-2013, 05:21 PM

Yea...Thats the game the Ed Reed punt return hit was in... That's what made me want to start this thread.....

wootawnee
03-10-2013, 05:22 PM
A Death Watch

By Jim Wexell
Publisher SteelCityInsider.net
Posted Mar 8, 2013

From the notebook of a sportswriter who’s sitting at his computer awaiting the death of a linebacker:

* Of course that’s overwrought. But when you’re waiting for news from the team you cover about the imminent release of the most interesting, menacing, brutal, and brutally honest football player you’ve ever covered, it’s a death watch.

* Ray Davies once sang, “Celluloid Heroes never feel any pain. Celluloid Heroes never really die.” So in that regard, yes, James Harrison will live, and thrive, on tape forever.

* I interviewed him the first day he reported for spring practice. He had been the subject of a brief at the bottom of a notebook in the previous day’s metro newspaper. One of the Steelers’ scouts, Phil Kreidler, told the reporter that this undrafted rookie out of Kent State was “mean.”

* I assumed this to be typical scout talk about a young linebacker, but I also wanted to ask Harrison if he felt any sort of kindred spirit with another former Steelers linebacker from Kent State.

* But Harrison proceeded to rip Jack Lambert – on the first day of spring camp as an undrafted rookie in the Pittsburgh Steelers’ locker room.

* Harrison, he didn’t much care about Lambert because Lambert never came back to Kent or did anything to help him. Harrison then said he didn’t much care if I liked what he was saying or not. And then he walked away.

* That’s when I started listening more closely to what Phil Kreidler had to say.

* A few years later I asked Harrison if he ever heard from Lambert. Harrison proudly said that he had, that Lambert – an old-school man of letters – had written Harrison to tell him how proud he was, as a fellow alum, of his accomplishments and the way he played the game. James said he cherished the letter.

* Well, he didn’t actually use the word “cherish.” He would’ve had to kill me.

* I watched Harrison closely his first training camp and his strength was undeniable. The only other rookie I remember standing out so vividly was Willie Parker.

* While Harrison’s brute strength was fun to watch, his idiosyncrasies were just plain funny. He’d knock over a guy during special-teams practice and then stand over him and glare down in personal victory – oblivious to the return man running past him.

* My friend and colleague Dale Lolley called him “Shaft. John Shaft.” But the nickname never stuck. “Silverback” was the choice for a while. And then “Deebo.” Then he just became James, which is saying something for such a common name.

* “I can’t wait till we cut that *&!@%*#,” said Mike Archer.

* Harrison’s first linebackers coach with the Steelers later came around to James’s, um, frustration in dealing with being coached and corrected, and Archer laughed about the comment some years later. But he told me that he heard James still dislikes him.

* Archer told me that Joey Porter and Jason Gildon should be credited for Harrison’s development. I relayed that quote to Harrison and he shrugged it off and said it didn’t mean much. “As far as Archer goes, that’s another story in itself,” Harrison said. But, I told James, Archer had wished him well.

“It’s great that he wishes me well,” Harrison said. “But like I said, that’s just something else altogether.”

* In spite of their difficulties, Harrison turned out rather well. Thank God for demanding coaches.

* “I think the funniest thing James ever said,” recalled Chris Hoke, “was when Coach Cowher was here. He had a block in the back, Silverback did, and Coach Cowher came up to him and started yelling at him, and Silverback said to him, ‘(Expletive) happens.’ Cowher was like, ‘I respect that.’”

* Scott Brown, a reporter for the Trib, was just doing his job one day when Harrison began ripping into an official after a game. Harrison implied that the official was cheating, throwing the game, and after Brown published the quote Harrison was fined $15,000 by the league. The next day Harrison walked into the packed locker room during media time and yelled, “Which one of you (expletive deleteds) is Scott Brown!?!” The room became hushed. No one answered. After a pause Harrison yelled, “You owe me $15,000!”

* In 2006 Sports Illustrated put Joey Porter on its cover with the title “NFL’s Meanest Man,” which became something a joke in the Steelers’ locker room because Porter wasn’t even the meanest man at his position on his team.

* One day I learned that one of Harrison’s college teammates, Roy Attieh, had died in a car accident a few days earlier. I asked Harrison about him, and he began to cry. Another reporter and I walked away. That reporter said, “You realize he’s going to have to kill you now.”

* I thought our bond might actually have become a bit tighter after that, but I never really assumed it, or tried to use it. I did ask him for his mom’s phone number. I wanted to start my tour for my book Steeler Nation in Akron with the Hall of Fame Game at the start of the 2007 season. I was as nervous as a freshman asking a girl out for a date, but Harrison said, “Yeah, no problem. What’s your name again?” I don’t think he ever remembered it. So much for our “bond.”

* The $15,000 fine for calling an official a cheater was a pittance compared to the heavy stuff that began to roll up later in Harrison’s career. In 2010 he accumulated $125,000 in fines, and of course became the centerpiece of just about every story on the new NFL, the safety issues, concussions. It was all anyone seemed to want to discuss with Harrison at that year’s Super Bowl. I was standing next to him when a reporter asked him about concussions, and Harrison said, “Concussions are part of the risk I take with my job, and I love my job. Don’t you love your job?”

“Yeah,” said the reporter, “But concussions aren’t a part of my job.”

“They will be if you ask another question like that,” Harrison said.

* Oh, my, the 100-yard interception return before halftime of Super Bowl 43; the slamming of the drunken Browns fan who wandered onto the field; getting his big break because “Peezy” got into a fight right before game time and Alonzo Jackson couldn’t play special teams and was inactive; the Monday Night demolition of the Ravens in 2007 with 10 tackles, 6 QB hits, 3½ sacks, 3 forced fumbles and an interception.

* The strength, the bend, the burst, the violence upon impact.

* A few years after Harrison had developed into a star, I asked a scout if character issues were the reason the Steelers didn’t draft Harrison after he had led the MAC with 15 sacks. “No way,” said the scout. “If he came out today we’d have the same problem with his size and speed.”

* That’s why these guys are so hard to find. Just because the Steelers got lucky three times in a row – Greg Lloyd, Porter and Harrison – doesn’t mean Jason Worilds is a failure for not being a freak.

* And here I am, toggling back and forth between my Word document and the Internet for the bad news, because bad news is normally announced on Fridays.

* But as my deadline approaches, I’m arguing with someone on Twitter over who’s a better 3-4 OLB draft prospect: Damontre Moore or Corey Lemonier.

* As if it matters. As if the Steelers will just find the next James Harrison on purpose, or because they’re that much smarter than everyone else.

* Let’s just hope by the start of the NFL’s fiscal New Year on Tuesday that we can have a good laugh at the prematurity of this column, that James had stood strong and called the Steelers’ bluff, and that the Steelers had found a way to keep him.

http://pit.scout.com/2/1272901.html

Great read Jim !!

pczach
03-10-2013, 05:35 PM
This is how people talk about a player who is clearly one of the most dominating players of all time. He has been a very special personality and presence for this team, and will always be one of my all-time favorite Steelers. He is probably the most menacing player I have ever had the pleasure of watching. I will only have great memories of "Silverback" aka "Deebo" aka "Superman" aka "James". What a player.:applaudit:

Twentyvalve
03-10-2013, 09:51 PM
When he high-fived my 5 year old and 7 year old daughters at training camp. When a guy that always looks looks as if he is going to rip your head off and beat you with it goes out of his way to give some love to the fans is a special moment. That guy has an aura that is for sure.

Another favorite is when he took a picture of his smashed orbital and posted it on line. And when he ran his mouth at Goodell, and . . .

The guy sure did make being a Steeler fan interesting. He is a special kind of person. He will be missed and I wish the best no matter what he does.

wwhickok
03-11-2013, 08:05 AM
Mine was actually when he body slammed the Browns fan that ran onto the field in Cleveland.

truesteelerfan
03-11-2013, 02:20 PM
The time he, alongside Brett Keisel and Aaron Smith, slammed Vince Young's face into the ground.

Yes, this is my favorite - One of the best sacks IMO ever!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5Qw0Rvc1wk

StainlessStill
03-11-2013, 02:31 PM
I enjoyed Harrison's entire tenure here and he was a dominant force in practically every big game he played in, minus the Tebow fiasco in 2011 (Harrison got punk'd multiple times.) Other than that, I'm not going to name the obvious popular plays, one that ranks on the all-time greatest plays in Super Bowl history, but the one play that always stood out to me was his interception in S.D where he leaped over Tomlinson (I think it was Tomlinson.) That's when we knew he was going to be a force to be reckoned with.

Even though he's givin us problems off the field AND on the field with his violent play, you can't deny his ferocity as a player and I will miss, more than anything, his ability of instinct to go for the strip-sack fumble, especially against Flacco.

Good luck, James & thank you for your efforts in the Black and Gold. Too bad he will now be behind enemy lines.

lardlad
03-11-2013, 07:19 PM
His game against the rat birds. I think it was 07. 75th anniversary throwback at home. He had three as sacks two forced fumbles and an interception. Almost had a. Safety.

Something like that. Not sure of the exact numbers but I've never seen a linebacker take over a game like that. It was SICK. Ben threw 5 TDs in he first half.

steelfury02
03-11-2013, 09:25 PM
His game against the rat birds. I think it was 07. 75th anniversary throwback at home. He had three as sacks two forced fumbles and an interception. Almost had a. Safety.

Something like that. Not sure of the exact numbers but I've never seen a linebacker take over a game like that. It was SICK. Ben threw 5 TDs in he first half.

that game is Vintage Harrison and Vintage Roethlisberger - I remember that beatdown - I hope we can see another blowout of the Ravens sometime soon.

Fire Arians
03-12-2013, 12:32 AM
This is how people talk about a player who is clearly one of the most dominating players of all time. He has been a very special personality and presence for this team, and will always be one of my all-time favorite Steelers. He is probably the most menacing player I have ever had the pleasure of watching. I will only have great memories of "Silverback" aka "Deebo" aka "Superman" aka "James". What a player.:applaudit:

dcPxxYVZcVk