PDA

View Full Version : Steelers give McLendon, Redman and Dwyer low tenders as RFAs

Hawaii 5-0
03-09-2013, 03:53 PM
Steelers give Steve McLendon, Isaac Redman and Jonathan Dwyer low tenders in restricted free agency

By Neal Coolong on Mar 9 2013

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/9399833/125590679.0_standard_500.0.jpg

Steve McLendon, Jonathan Dwyer and Isaac Redman all receive low-level tenders for $1.3 million in restricted free agency, meaning all three can be signed away without the Steelers receiving compensation.

It's been curious why the Steelers didn't seem particularly high on nose tackle Steve McLendon.

That question will get even more murkier now. The Steelers elected to give McLendon the right of first refusal level tender offer in restricted free agency, meaning McLendon will be paid $1.3 million guaranteed this season, but a team has an opportunity to sign McLendon to an offer sheet. If the Steelers choose to not match it, McLendon will leave without compensation.

On one hand, it seemingly doesn't matter. Teams rarely make offers for players in restricted free agency anyway, and while McLendon has shown some flashes of potential, particularly in rushing the passer, the fact he averaged around seven snaps a game last season and now this low level tender suggests the team doesn't feel he's worth the extra insurance - the second-round tender is $2 million.

McLendon is, right now, the likely starter at nose tackle this season.

Also receiving the low-level offers are the pair of RFA running backs, Isaac Redman and Jonathan Dwyer. Neither seemed able to pull away from the other despite getting roughly the same amount of carries this season. Both had outstanding performances at times, and looked sub-par in others.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/3/9/4083970/steelers-restricted-free-agency-tender-offer

Hawaii 5-0
03-09-2013, 04:34 PM
Steelers put low tender on Steve McLendon

MAR 9
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

The Steelers put tenders on their restricted free agents Saturday, and there are two interesting developments.

The first one is Pittsburgh placing a low tender on Steve McLendon, who is expected to replace Casey Hampton as the team's starting nose tackle. There were thoughts that the Steelers would protect him more by putting a second-round tender on him.

But, in choosing the low tender ($1.3 million) over the second-round one ($2 million), the Steelers could lose McLendon without compensation because he was undrafted. Of course, the Steelers would have the right to match any offer, although it could be difficult to do considering their cap problems. This is certainly a gamble.

The Steelers' other notable decision was placing tenders on both running backs, Jonathan Dwyer and Isaac Redman. There was speculation that the Steelers might only put the tender on Redman because of limited cap room. But Pittsburgh put low tenders on Dwyer and Redman, both of whom will get $1.3 million. Although unlikely, the Steelers would get a sixth-round pick as compensation if they lose Dwyer to another team and no compensation for Redman because he was undrafted.

Accounting for all of these RFA tenders in the cap, the Steelers were $1.4 million over. But, when factoring in the release of linebacker James Harrison, the Steelers are now $3.4 million under the cap.

Here's a recap of the Steelers' restricted free agents:

RB Jonathan Dwyer: Original round (sixth round)

P Jeremy Kapinos: No tender

NT Steve McLendon: Right of first refusal (no compensation)

RB Isaac Redman: Right of first refusal (no compensation)

LB Stevenson Sylvester: No tender

WR Emmanuel Sanders: Original round (third round)

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/73583/steelers-put-low-tender-on-steve-mclendon

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-09-2013, 05:07 PM
They placed no tender on Sylvester?? I thought many here had him tabbed as the next starter at ILB?? :rofl:

MeanGee2047
03-09-2013, 07:53 PM
No suprises here...damn...wish it was April all ready...:

austinfrench76
03-09-2013, 08:19 PM
What I don't understand is the lack of trying to sign these guys to longer term deals. Not all of them but Mclendon is currently our starter at NT and he has looked good when he played. Also, Sanders. Right now would be the time to sign them because they aren't worth a ton. I know. There's a reason for that but I would like both of them on the team long term. Cheap with value IMO.

harrison'samonster
03-09-2013, 08:22 PM
What I don't understand is the lack of trying to sign these guys to longer term deals. Not all of them but Mclendon is currently our starter at NT and he has looked good when he played. Also, Sanders. Right now would be the time to sign them because they aren't worth a ton. I know. There's a reason for that but I would like both of them on the team long term. Cheap with value IMO.

that's a really good point about McLendon and Sanders. This is the time to get them both cheap.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-09-2013, 08:38 PM
McLendon is the only value among that group.

Sanders his head is to big and probably is way overvaluing his play. Now worth signing him to anything than a 1 year deal. Not thrilled with any of the Rb's, but till the Oline can block it doesn;t matter about the RB's

DanRooney
03-09-2013, 09:54 PM
They placed no tender on Sylvester?? I thought many here had him tabbed as the next starter at ILB?? :rofl:

He is as of right now :rofl:

This team is f'ed. I'm looking at 6-10.

steeltheone
03-09-2013, 09:57 PM
that's a really good point about McLendon and Sanders. This is the time to get them both cheap.

Just why would Sanders command anything but number 3 money? He has done nothing to speak of yet. He could be replaced easily.

harrison'samonster
03-09-2013, 09:58 PM
Just why would Sanders command anything but number 3 money? He has done nothing to speak of yet. He could be replaced easily.

that's why i'm saying pay him cheap now because his numbers can only get higher as he gets more playing time next year.

scottcurtis
03-09-2013, 10:13 PM
McLendon is the only value among that group.

Sanders his head is to big and probably is way overvaluing his play. Now worth signing him to anything than a 1 year deal. Not thrilled with any of the Rb's, but till the Oline can block it doesn;t matter about the RB's

And why's that ? What the hell has Sanders done to deserve this stupid statement ?

cowherpower
03-09-2013, 11:49 PM
what is the real story on McLendon? We all see him perform well when he is given reps. We have all been commenting and calling for more PT. People including me wanted him signed last year and for Hampton to be dropped. There has to be something the coaching staff is seeing that we aren't. Is he a head case? Not a hard worker? I don't get it. It's one of the main things about Tomlin I don't like. He doesn't get younger players the experience necessary to take over starting roles...or he sticks with over the hill veterans a year too long. Seems like besides Kordell, Cowher always seemed to time that transition period pretty well.

With Tomlin we've had to deal with Aaron Smith holding on too long, taking up too much money, same with Hampton and Farrior. Added to that list will be Troy who some think should move on already due to his cap number and lack of health and production. Not one of those guys, staying that extra year, made any difference except to be a liability. Maybe it's loyalty, maybe they are stuck due to the constant restructuring.

while I am sad to see Harrison go, this appears to be the one time under Tomlin that they are making the right decision. Just wish we could have seen more of Worilds to know if he can take over rather than just hope. I never worried under Cowher about our LBs. Why is this a concern for them now? Why are they not hitting on their LB picks? Maybe they are, but Tomlin playing his vets has prevented us from seeing it.

teegre
03-09-2013, 11:55 PM
what is the real story on McLendon? We all see him perform well when he is given reps. We have all been commenting and calling for more PT. People including me wanted him signed last year and for Hampton to be dropped. There has to be something the coaching staff is seeing that we aren't. Is he a head case? Not a hard worker? I don't get it. It's one of the main things about Tomlin I don't like. He doesn't get younger players the experience necessary to take over starting roles...or he sticks with over the hill veterans a year too long. Seems like besides Kordell, Cowher always seemed to time that transition period pretty well.

With Tomlin we've had to deal with Aaron Smith holding on too long, taking up too much money, same with Hampton and Farrior. Added to that list will be Troy who some think should move on already due to his cap number and lack of health and production. Not one of those guys, staying that extra year, made any difference except to be a liability. Maybe it's loyalty, maybe they are stuck due to the constant restructuring.

while I am sad to see Harrison go, this appears to be the one time under Tomlin that they are making the right decision. Just wish we could have seen more of Worilds to know if he can take over rather than just hope. I never worried under Cowher about our LBs. Why is this a concern for them now? Why are they not hitting on their LB picks? Maybe they are, but Tomlin playing his vets has prevented us from seeing it.

Back then, no one else ran the 3-4. Ergo, players like Joey Porter could be drafted in R3.

Now, with so many teams running the 3-4, and the subsequent need for 3-4 OLBs, Porter would go in R1 in this draft.

pczach
03-10-2013, 07:17 AM
Back then, no one else ran the 3-4. Ergo, players like Joey Porter could be drafted in R3.

Now, with so many teams running the 3-4, and the subsequent need for 3-4 OLBs, Porter would go in R1 in this draft.

This is a good point. Success breeds copycats. The 3-4 scheme has exploded around the league in the last 10 years. There are many more teams chasing the same talent pool that fit the defensive scheme now.

Millers the sh!t
03-10-2013, 09:14 AM
If we lose Steve. I'll be super pissed man......

Hawaii 5-0
03-11-2013, 03:01 PM
what is the real story on McLendon?

that's a great question, the Steelers obviously don't value McLendon that highly.

lloydwoodson
03-12-2013, 01:19 AM
If we lose Steve. I'll be super pissed man......

Yeah this is a huge mistake. If I was the Ravens, Bengals or Browns I would pick up McLendon in a heartbeat just to screw the Steelers over. What depth would the Steelers have at the position? Trust that Ta'amu could play every snap on the field and pray he doesn't self-destruct off the field?

I think the Steelers may be drafting a NT this year in the 1st. I don't see any other way McLendon could be expendable and I do not expect Hampton to be back. Not worth losing Mclendon over 700k he is a solid player.

kan_t
03-12-2013, 03:10 AM
Yeah this is a huge mistake. If I was the Ravens, Bengals or Browns I would pick up McLendon in a heartbeat just to screw the Steelers over. What depth would the Steelers have at the position? Trust that Ta'amu could play every snap on the field and pray he doesn't self-destruct off the field?

I think the Steelers may be drafting a NT this year in the 1st. I don't see any other way McLendon could be expendable and I do not expect Hampton to be back. Not worth losing Mclendon over 700k he is a solid player.
I'm not worry about that. They will match the offer unless the Browns or Bengals go insane and vestly overpay (The Ravens don't have the cap space to steal McLendon away).

Hawaii 5-0
04-18-2013, 07:57 PM
Steelers | Isaac Redman signs tender

From Footballguys.com News Blogger
April 18, 2013

Pittsburgh Steelers restricted free-agent RB Isaac Redman has signed his one-year tender offer. Financial terms were not disclosed.

http://ewallstreeter.com/steelers-isaac-redman-signs-tender-3393/#!/exjun_#ixzz2QrId0d6p