PDA

View Full Version : We still paying Troy 3x his worth?

Curtain_of_Steel
03-09-2013, 09:25 PM
No way Troy has earned anything close to this over the past year plus with his injuries and being constantly out of shape. Yet they will pay him 10mill this year?

I'm not even sure they have reneg'ed him at any point since he signed that contract.

Based on Woods health etc, I do not believe this was a good cut. We carried Aaron smith 2 years to long, kept farrior a year to long and Im sure there is more dead wood out there from the past.

harrison'samonster
03-09-2013, 09:27 PM
I don't think they have anything planned for Troy, Lebeau has stood up for Polamalu saying he can still play at the highest level for several years

sloppyjoe
03-09-2013, 09:31 PM
troy needs to be cut or renogotiated to half his salary. he has been stealing money the last few years. this isnt a superbowl team and wont be for a few years, at the earliest. troy wont be part of that. time to move on.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-09-2013, 09:36 PM
Will Dick is being premature yet again. Troy hasn;t played up to par in fact he hasn;t even played. We pay him to stand on the sidelines.

jacobo
03-10-2013, 08:48 AM
the shitstorm that would occur in the media if we cut both james and troy

Fire Haley
03-10-2013, 09:45 AM
Cut him and sign Ed Reed and save a bundle.

TRH
03-10-2013, 09:50 AM
I love Troy as much as the next guy around here - but facts are facts. He's doing the organization very little good at this point (as much as i hate to say it....).
I would like to have him around but not at the WHOPPING, gigantic salary he gets - there's no way any logical person can say that he's worth having around at those kinds of dollars. It just isn't so.

To be honest, i'd rather have James here for the next 2 years than Troy. He needs a massive paycut or released too. We badly, desperately need the money - it could go to much better use.

SteelersCanada
03-10-2013, 11:00 AM
I'd rather have Keenan Lewis than Polamalu.

steelfury02
03-10-2013, 11:12 AM
I wouldn't trade one old fart for another and I really don't want what he's brought to the table the past few seasons: hardly anything

I love him - but, just not worth a handful of games anymore. You can almost guarantee he won't last past mid - 3/4 way in through season at best

casteeler
03-10-2013, 03:38 PM
The entire team needs to renegotiate to put the team well under cap. I would like to see Troy retire a Steeler but he's worth about 3 million a year and be probably thinks that would be an insult. :wink02:

SteelersCanada
03-10-2013, 03:54 PM
The entire team needs to renegotiate to put the team well under cap. I would like to see Troy retire a Steeler but he's worth about 3 million a year and be probably thinks that would be an insult. :wink02:

Why do we need to be 'well under the cap'? We're not testing free agency and as long as we resign Lewis, we're fine.

Bane
03-10-2013, 04:11 PM
Troy is worth every single dime when he's playing. He proved this during his return at the end of the year. It's just the injury bug that reduces his worth.

I think if this year is a repeat of last, he'll retire before the Steelers even cut him.

desertsteel
03-10-2013, 05:48 PM
No way Troy has earned anything close to this over the past year plus with his injuries and being constantly out of shape. Yet they will pay him 10mill this year?

I'm not even sure they have reneg'ed him at any point since he signed that contract.

Based on Woods health etc, I do not believe this was a good cut. We carried Aaron smith 2 years to long, kept farrior a year to long and Im sure there is more dead wood out there from the past.
Who is Woods?????

Bane
03-10-2013, 05:55 PM
Woodley.

steelfury02
03-10-2013, 08:19 PM
Who is Woods?????

some guy Bogarting the Star Crunches

casteeler
03-11-2013, 12:56 AM
Why do we need to be 'well under the cap'? We're not testing free agency and as long as we resign Lewis, we're fine.

Yea,ok.

MeanGee2047
03-11-2013, 03:43 AM
They have until Tuesday to redo Troy's contract...hope something is in the works...if Ben can do it so can Troy...

wwhickok
03-11-2013, 07:54 AM
I do think Troy may still restructure. I also think Woodley will.

teegre
03-11-2013, 09:06 AM
Ed Bouchette predicted that Troy is going to retire after this season. Ergo, he can not restructure. (He could take a pay cut, but he can't restructure.)

kent
03-11-2013, 09:08 AM
I do think Troy may still restructure. I also think Woodley will.

I sure hope so. I believe both players will surprise and have great years this year. They better hope they do or they both could be gone next off-season. With James being gone this is a huge oppurtunity for Woodley to step up and become the face of the defense. He is still in his "prime" and has had a great career up unitl the last 1 and a half seasons.

TRH
03-11-2013, 09:39 AM

understood - but we don't need to be "right at" the cap line either. Free space & money is needed in this league now.
Look at how many teams have alot of cap space. Indy, Miami, NE, SF (some good teams in there, not just losers....boy, i'm envious right now of some of those guys). They are able to look at and sign good, competitive players.
Others like the Steelers and Saints are bombarded with issues and problems because they're right at the cap line or over (until they make moves to get under. Its drama just to re-sign a mediocre guy around here.

I'd much rather be one of the other teams mentioned than in Pitt or N.O. right now.

rgj
03-11-2013, 09:46 AM
I don't expect much from the Steelers this season. Polomalu now has a tendency for injury and will probably be gone by the end of the year, if not before the season starts. I think the defense is shot and Lambeau will finally retire, rather than enduring the "rebuilding" process.

The offensive holes STILL have not been addressed.

To me, the Steelers really seem to be in disarray. I would not be surprised to see Tomlin resign at the end of this next season, just for his own sanity.:coffee:

tmacsteelerfan
03-11-2013, 12:22 PM
Troy is worth every single dime when he's playing. He proved this during his return at the end of the year. It's just the injury bug that reduces his worth.

I think if this year is a repeat of last, he'll retire before the Steelers even cut him.

Exactly, it's tough to really argue this because he has been so injury prone.... But when he's on the field and healthy he's still the best SS in the league (I respect a Weddle or Byrd argument for that spot) and it showed in the CIN and CLE games to close the season.

SteelersCanada
03-11-2013, 01:27 PM
understood - but we don't need to be "right at" the cap line either. Free space & money is needed in this league now.
Look at how many teams have alot of cap space. Indy, Miami, NE, SF (some good teams in there, not just losers....boy, i'm envious right now of some of those guys). They are able to look at and sign good, competitive players.
Others like the Steelers and Saints are bombarded with issues and problems because they're right at the cap line or over (until they make moves to get under. Its drama just to re-sign a mediocre guy around here.

I'd much rather be one of the other teams mentioned than in Pitt or N.O. right now.

SF is going to be in cap hell in about a year. A lot of their defensive talent and, really, their offensive talent, are still on their rookie contracts. That team is going to crumble when it's time to resign these guys.

The Pats are losing a lot of their offensive talent, but again, as long as they have Tom Brady it doesn't really matter who's playing on offense.

I get your point and it's a fair one, but we have the talent already on this roster to be a top 3 team in the NFL, we just need an infusion of youth at some positions which can be taken care of in the draft.

On paper, the Eagles were one of the best teams in the league two years ago but they learned the hard way that you can't buy championships. If there's one thing that you can't force or buy, it's chemistry and this team has it (for the most part). I think we're going to be just fine if we hit on a Safety (probably two, if I'm being honest) and a OLB prospect in the draft.

livingthrudying
03-11-2013, 03:06 PM
Troy doesn't even have to be his old self. He just has to be on the field and he scares QB's and Receivers. Now again he has to be on the field. There are only a handful of players in the league that a Defensive coordinator must Game plan around. Troy is one of those players. Ed Reed is good as well and so are some others, however nobody does or can do what Troy can do.

steelfury02
03-11-2013, 04:44 PM
Troy doesn't even have to be his old self. He just has to be on the field and he scares QB's and Receivers. Now again he has to be on the field. There are only a handful of players in the league that a Defensive coordinator must Game plan around. Troy is one of those players. Ed Reed is good as well and so are some others, however nobody does or can do what Troy can do.

and not just his health - everyone's health - we absolutely need both sides of the ball to be healthy and ready for a run towards the last 1/4 of the season if we want our guys to have a shot at 7 - if Troy is in there and Clark is injured or Ike or Allen, Troy and the OLBs will have extra duty and that means no roaming the line. Troy does and will get beat in open space by elite WRs - bad angles you know lol