PDA

View Full Version : Steelers keep Ramon Foster with 3-year deal

Fire Haley
03-11-2013, 02:11 PM
Steelers reached agreement on a three-year contract with G Ramon Foster.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/311174996670152704

----------------

Schefty's never wrong - right?

SteelersCanada
03-11-2013, 02:12 PM
Well, we were never keeping both Colon and Foster.

Buh-bye Willie.

I think this is a solid signing, though.

Fire Haley
03-11-2013, 02:16 PM
He started all 16 games - I'd take him over Colon any day.

VaDave
03-11-2013, 02:20 PM
Mr. Mediocrity returns. You do realize that he's never played a snap unless somebody got hurt? I wonder what is contract is worth? From a depth perspective this is a good signing, although somewhat surprising, to me anyway. I guess he preferred the bird in the hand..... nothing wrong with that.

StainlessStill
03-11-2013, 02:22 PM
VERY good signing. With all the hoopla surrounding the likes of Mike Wallace and what-not, I was kind of worried we would of lost Ramon Foster. He's a great asset to this team, is durable and can play multiple positions. This means Mr.IR himself, thee Colon will be released on June 1st which would save us a significant amount of money towards the salary cap. This is an awesome, quiet Steelers signing that the casual's probably won't appreciate but it's a big one from within.

truesteelerfan
Solid but not anything special IMO - biggest downfall in my opinion is he has been unable to push the pile when we need to run for a yard on 4th and 1. I'll be happy with him as a backup however as long as only making back up salary.

SteelersCanada
As part of Bleacher Report's top 1000 players, Matt Miller already put his Guard rankings up - here's what he said about Ramon:

Pass Block:

A natural pass protector with good length and reach, Ramon Foster can stand up and fight in the trenches. He has some ability as a tackle, and that shows in his pass sets inside at guard. Foster has quick hands and good technique when asked to place his hands and control pass-rushers. He’ll get walked back at times if defenders get inside his frame, but all in all, this is a very good pass protector.

44 / 50

Run Block:

Foster doesn’t dominate in the run game like he does versus pass-rushers. He’s often ineffective in space and can get caught with his feet not set. Foster will get beaten off the ball and can get left trying to catch defenders instead of delivering a blow.

24 / 50

Overall: 68 / 100

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1444315-br-nfl-1000-2013-top-70-guards/page/41

He had Ramon Foster tied for 7th overall in terms of his pass protection grade which I think is a fair number. He really is dominate in pass protection, but struggled in run blocking. I don't know whether or not he's going to start in our ZBS, but he's definitely one of the (if not the best) backup in the league right now.

StainlessStill
03-11-2013, 02:25 PM
Mr. Mediocrity returns. You do realize that he's never played a snap unless somebody got hurt? I wonder what is contract is worth? From a depth perspective this is a good signing, although somewhat surprising, to me anyway. I guess he preferred the bird in the hand..... nothing wrong with that.

Ramon Foster isn't a Hall of Famer by any means, but if you had to ask me, outside of maybe Max Starks, I rank Foster as high as being one of our most consistent and reliant offensive lineman over the last couple years. I wouldn't have liked to see him let go, not now when we are an offensive line in transition that lacks durability as it is.

TheVet
03-11-2013, 02:28 PM
Excellent, we've improved our depth situation! Now let's go out and find a starter at LG.

Ramon Foster isn't a Hall of Famer by any means, but if you had to ask me, outside of maybe Max Starks, I rank Foster as high as being one of our most consistent and reliant offensive lineman over the last couple years. I wouldn't have liked to see him let go, not now when we are an offensive line in transition that lacks durability as it is.

Aside from Pouncey (obviously), Starks arguably has been our most reliable lineman during the past two years - an incredible turnaround!

But let's not kid ourselves, the OL performance has been below the line for years. Foster has only been a backup, and with all due respect to Tomlin, the substandard has been the standard on the OL.

Fire Haley
03-11-2013, 02:29 PM
A natural pass protector with good length and reach, Ramon Foster can stand up and fight in the trenches. He has some ability as a tackle, and that shows in his pass sets inside at guard. Foster has quick hands and good technique when asked to place his hands and control pass-rushers

Well, we are finesse passing team now - so he should fit right in.

steelfury02
03-11-2013, 02:31 PM
A solid signing is exactly the kind of signing this Steelers fan needs right now - remember, key to a SB run is as much about solid depth as it is playmakers and quality starters. The guy has game experience and that is what the Steelers need going forward. let's also give him some more chances considering the new o-line coach and scheme that might be implemented.

Thank goodness - you really didn't want both Colon and Foster gone. Getting Starks back woudl be awesome too but I won't hold my breath

OX1947
03-11-2013, 02:38 PM
A solid signing is exactly the kind of signing this Steelers fan needs right now - remember, key to a SB run is as much about solid depth as it is playmakers and quality starters. The guy has game experience and that is what the Steelers need going forward. let's also give him some more chances considering the new o-line coach and scheme that might be implemented.

Thank goodness - you really didn't want both Colon and Foster gone. Getting Starks back woudl be awesome too but I won't hold my breath

if there was a NO THANKS button, I would ask for two of them on your post. You can keep foster and colon.

stiller39
03-11-2013, 02:39 PM
Great move by the Stillers! Now lets get Starks back too....for the cheap though.

austinfrench76
03-11-2013, 02:40 PM
This is a good signing IMO. Gonna cheer for something man!!!! Not a game changer but he was looking tk get a nice contract somewhere so we get a good young guard to go with our other good young guard...

Fire Haley
03-11-2013, 02:48 PM
Great move by the Stillers! Now lets get Starks back too....for the cheap though.

We need to put up a sign...

Max - please come back - we need you!

TRH
03-11-2013, 02:54 PM
the release of Colon is imminent. The dollars doesn't even come close to what we get out of him.

TheVet
03-11-2013, 02:56 PM
I'll be pretty upset if this means the Steelers are fooling themselves into thinking they don't need to acquire an NFL-caliber starting LG. In another post, Tony Hipster indicated that they don't save much cap space money if they cut Colon, so are both Foster and Colon coming back?

kan_t
03-11-2013, 02:57 PM
Good signing. I see it as an insurance move as I expect Beachum to beat him out for the starting LG job if the Steelers go for zone blocking scheme. The Steelers OL has some depth now.

SteelersCanada
03-11-2013, 03:14 PM
I'll be pretty upset if this means the Steelers are fooling themselves into thinking they don't need to acquire an NFL-caliber starting LG. In another post, Tony Hipster indicated that they don't save much cap space money if they cut Colon, so are both Foster and Colon coming back?

It doesn't save much cap space if we release him prior to June 1st. After June 1st, we save 5.5 million against the cap.

Big savings.

steelfury02
03-11-2013, 04:47 PM
if there was a NO THANKS button, I would ask for two of them on your post. You can keep foster and colon.

I'd rather have Foster than losing both - and I'd rather have both if Starks is gone - meaning, Foster and Starks.

if there was a Read Carefully button, crap - you already stopped reading carefully

StainlessStill
03-11-2013, 05:06 PM
Excellent, we've improved our depth situation! Now let's go out and find a starter at LG.

Aside from Pouncey (obviously), Starks arguably has been our most reliable lineman during the past two years - an incredible turnaround!

But let's not kid ourselves, the OL performance has been below the line for years. Foster has only been a backup, and with all due respect to Tomlin, the substandard has been the standard on the OL.

I'm a firm believer in not pin-pointing one person to the overall success's or failure of an overall offensive line unit. I believe stability, comfortability and the ability to stay together within one group reeks benefits on what happens up front. The Steelers haven't had that for years but I do believe a guy like Foster makes us better if and when we can stay together without injury. It's nice to have somebody knowing the ropes in the midst of guys like Gilbert, Adams and DeCastro to groom. Hell, even Beachum could vouch for camp competition.

pczach
03-11-2013, 05:14 PM
If they didn't pay a fortune to him, this is a good signing. It doesn't mean he is our starter for the next 3 years. I means we have quality depth and allows the team to still go after OL in the draft. If they find a real player, we have a solid NFL lineman coming off the bench. I don't see how this is bad.:noidea:

FrancoLambert
03-11-2013, 05:23 PM
It's a good signing if you consider him a versatile, solid BACKUP. Which he is.

Like many have said, if we expect to get our running game going (by the way, who's our RB?) we need the starter to have more talent/ability.

TheVet
03-11-2013, 05:23 PM

It doesn't save much cap space if we release him prior to June 1st. After June 1st, we save 5.5 million against the cap.

Big savings.

Calling Tony Hipster! Calling Tony Hipster!

What are the actual facts on Colon's cap impact????

TheVet
03-11-2013, 05:29 PM
I'm a firm believer in not pin-pointing one person to the overall success's or failure of an overall offensive line unit. I believe stability, comfortability and the ability to stay together within one group reeks benefits on what happens up front. The Steelers haven't had that for years but I do believe a guy like Foster makes us better if and when we can stay together without injury. It's nice to have somebody knowing the ropes in the midst of guys like Gilbert, Adams and DeCastro to groom. Hell, even Beachum could vouch for camp competition.

Well, I agree with this, but that still doesn't make me feel good when I watch the defense drive him backwards every time we try to run, or blow right by him when he's trying to pass block. Stability and comfortability are nice, but malleability, squishability, bendability not so much.

I like his position flexiblity and backupability.

SteelersCanada
03-11-2013, 05:38 PM
Calling Tony Hipster! Calling Tony Hipster!

What are the actual facts on Colon's cap impact????

Those are the facts.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/03/steelers-g-willie-colon-must-now-take-a-pay-cut-or-be-released/

fer522
03-11-2013, 05:55 PM
If we cut Colon can we go after J Long?

Fire Haley
03-11-2013, 06:02 PM
Those are the facts.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/03/steelers-g-willie-colon-must-now-take-a-pay-cut-or-be-released/

post Jun 1st cut produces a dead money charge of $4.3M in 2014

I can't see them going for that

TheVet
03-11-2013, 06:20 PM
post Jun 1st cut produces a dead money charge of $4.3M in 2014

I can't see them going for that But the article also says pre Jun 1st cut produces $6.45 million in dead money if they release him now. So what does this all mean???

Does anybody understand this completely? Can anybody clarify??

Calling Tony Hipster!!! Calling Tony Hipster!!! :tt02:

Fire Haley
03-11-2013, 06:35 PM
what I read says if we take the hit now we'll be in the clear of dead money on him for 2014 if we cut him before Jun 1

doesn't help us this year though

Fire Arians
03-11-2013, 08:33 PM
good sign

Fire Arians
03-11-2013, 08:35 PM
But the article also says pre Jun 1st cut produces $6.45 million in dead money if they release him now. So what does this all mean???

Does anybody understand this completely? Can anybody clarify??

Calling Tony Hipster!!! Calling Tony Hipster!!! :tt02:

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!

pczach
03-11-2013, 08:37 PM
KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!

The Genesis device is about to fire. There's no stopping it captain!

"He's dead already...":sofunny:

steelfury02
03-11-2013, 09:20 PM
I have been ,and will always be, your friend.

tony hipchest
03-11-2013, 10:11 PM
Those are the facts.

pretty much...

what I read says if we take the hit now we'll be in the clear of dead money on him for 2014 if we cut him before Jun 1

doesn't help us this year though yep.

i commented on the colon contract situation a few days ago. Dave of steelersdepot obviously wrote his monday article after listening to pat kirwan break it down on sirius NFL radio "Moving the chains" last week, after the story broke that Colon was supposedly still in the steelers plans.

nobody in the media is more experienced or better than breaking down and explaining front office matters than pat kirwan, plus he has tons of connections in the league who will speak to him in confidence, due to the fact that he is an actual inside who has done the job and an analyst as opposed to the mediots that usually try to explain such matters. (where else would you find out that bill cowher has a new girlfriend who is a great singer and will be performing a song on his show?)

anyways, with full understanding of capology, not cutting colon now makes all the sense in the world. i only helps us to the tune of about 1.5 mil which is less than what it probably cost to retain foster.

if we are going to sign keenan lewis, omar khan is an expert of structuring it in the way that the amortized portion of colons bonus is "absorbed" (so to speak) next season- assuming he is cut after June 1.

i think i got that all right.

TheVet
03-12-2013, 12:31 AM
Oh man, why am I still confused???

harrison'samonster
03-12-2013, 12:34 AM
Oh man, why am I still confused???

:rofl: that's the same way I feel. I get half way through the explanation and think it makes perfect sense to me, but by the time I'm done reading I think...wait, what?

I'm happy knowing it makes sense to somebody, and especially to the people in charge.

TheVet
03-12-2013, 01:11 AM
Calling Tony Hipster!!! Calling Tony Hipster!!!

You need to explain this one more time but simpler man.

teegre
03-12-2013, 01:25 AM
I liked Beachum... and he was cheaper than Foster. But, Beachum backing up both tackle spots makes for good depth. And, Foster has been very consistent.

I am pleased.

tony hipchest
03-12-2013, 09:58 AM
Calling Tony Hipster!!! Calling Tony Hipster!!!

You need to explain this one more time but simpler man.the easiest way to explain it is with a hypothetical rarely seen-

you sign a player to a 5 year deal worth $50 mil. $25 mil is guaranteed and paid up front as bonus money. That leaves 5 years with at a base salary of $5 mil/yr. The $25 mil doesnt count towards this years cap, but is spread out evenly for the length of the contract which means the cap hit for each of the 5 years will be $10 mil/yr.

After 2 years you want to cut the player. to save $5 mil/yr base salary. You save the base salary but still have to account for the $15 mil which has already been paid (this prevents teams like the redskins, cowboys, patriots from circumventing the cap with giant signing bonuses to 20 different guys.

If you cut said player before june 1 you take that $15 mil cap hit in the year you cut him. If you wait until after, you get to spread that hit out over 2 years. $7.5 mil this year and $7.5 mil the following year which is considered "dead money" because the player isnt even on the roster any longer.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-12-2013, 10:53 AM
I liked Beachum... and he was cheaper than Foster. But, Beachum backing up both tackle spots makes for good depth. And, Foster has been very consistent.

I am pleased.

I just dont see Beachum as an aggressive, nasty ass kicking guard. I see him as more of a technician on the outside and that is why I like him at OT like you say.

Foster has more of a guard mentality to me and is better suited inside, but he has decent size and arm length to play RT if needed. I like the prospects of Foster, Pouncey, Decastro on the inside.

TheVet
03-12-2013, 01:59 PM
the easiest way to explain it is with a hypothetical rarely seen-

you sign a player to a 5 year deal worth $50 mil. $25 mil is guaranteed and paid up front as bonus money. That leaves 5 years with at a base salary of $5 mil/yr. The $25 mil doesnt count towards this years cap, but is spread out evenly for the length of the contract which means the cap hit for each of the 5 years will be $10 mil/yr.

After 2 years you want to cut the player. to save $5 mil/yr base salary. You save the base salary but still have to account for the $15 mil which has already been paid (this prevents teams like the redskins, cowboys, patriots from circumventing the cap with giant signing bonuses to 20 different guys.

If you cut said player before june 1 you take that $15 mil cap hit in the year you cut him. If you wait until after, you get to spread that hit out over 2 years. $7.5 mil this year and $7.5 mil the following year which is considered "dead money" because the player isnt even on the roster any longer.

Yes!!! All has become clear!!!

:applaudit:

teegre
03-12-2013, 02:10 PM
I just dont see Beachum as an aggressive, nasty ass kicking guard. I see him as more of a technician on the outside and that is why I like him at OT like you say.

Foster has more of a guard mentality to me and is better suited inside, but he has decent size and arm length to play RT if needed. I like the prospects of Foster, Pouncey, Decastro on the inside.

This ia a question that has not been brought up:
Could Beachum start over either Gilbert or Adams???

He played pretty darn well at RT. A lot of us have already conceded the two OT spots to Gilbert & Adams... but, Beachum could realistically push one of them for a starting spot.

Regardless, it's good to have a quality back-up (whomever of the three OTs that it might be).

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-12-2013, 03:24 PM

He played pretty darn well at RT. A lot of us have already conceded the two OT spots to Gilbert & Adams... but, Beachum could realistically push one of them for a starting spot.

Regardless, it's good to have a quality back-up (whomever of the three OTs that it might be).

I dont see Beechum as beating out either Gilbert or Adams either. There is a reason that they were 2nd round picks and he was 7th. Size, arm length, strength of competition, etc. Beechum is a good technical guy, I think a good utility OT/G, but I dont see him being a full time starter. Maybe he added some weight in the offseason and got nasty? :noidea:

TheVet
03-13-2013, 01:34 AM

I think this is a very legitimate question. In my mind, we have 3 young OTs, and we need two of them to step up into starting roles. Based on last year, I'd put Adams first, with Beachum probably edging Gilbert. But Gilbert showed up out-of-shape and seemingly unmotivated, then injured himself before getting it together - so, kind of a lost season. Still, Beachum out-performed, which is always nice to see.

I dont see Beechum as beating out either Gilbert or Adams either. There is a reason that they were 2nd round picks and he was 7th. Size, arm length, strength of competition, etc. Beechum is a good technical guy, I think a good utility OT/G, but I dont see him being a full time starter. Maybe he added some weight in the offseason and got nasty? :noidea:

Your draft number doesn't determine your fate! Let's see the dogs fight it out.