PDA

View Full Version : Anquan Boldin traded to 49ers

6RingsAndCounting
03-11-2013, 04:28 PM
http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/03/11/reports-anquan-boldin-traded-to-49ers-for-a-sixth-round-pick/

Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun tweeted on Monday afternoon that Ravens wide receiver Anquan Boldin has been traded to the 49ers for a sixth round pick.

Boldin, who is 32 years old, had 65 receptions for 921 yards and four touchdowns last year. He torched the 49ers for 104 yards receiving and a touchdown in the Super Bowl.

According to Adam Schefter, the deal is contingent on a physical; Boldin is currently in Africa on a mission.

Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) tweeted at 4:13 PM on Mon, Mar 11, 2013:
As @RavensInsider insider reported, WR Anquan Boldin traded to 49ers for a sixth-round pick. WRs piling up in NFC West

jacobo
03-11-2013, 04:31 PM
:sofunny:

jacobo
03-11-2013, 04:34 PM
Trade Smith for a fourth and let Flacco prove he's elite now

SteelersCanada
03-11-2013, 04:34 PM
Well, this is going to be awkward.

Bayz101
03-11-2013, 04:57 PM
A sixth? This dude WAS the Ravens offense.

Fire Haley
03-11-2013, 05:02 PM
The first casualty of Joe's contract is his #1 receiver

next to last in the 6th rd - they basically traded nothing for him

the rich get richer

By trading a sixth-round pick to the #Ravens, the 49ers now have *only* 14 picks in the 2013 draft.

MACH1
03-11-2013, 05:08 PM
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/398789_596212487073419_1780493325_n.jpg

Atlanta Dan
03-11-2013, 05:24 PM
So much for the warm feelings between the players and the front office after sharing the joy of winning a Lombardi:chuckle:

Baltimore Ravens receiver Torrey Smith couldn't believe the shocking news that fellow wideout Anquan Boldin had been traded to the San Francisco 49ers, the team Boldin helped the Ravens defeat in their 34-31 Super Bowl XLVII victory.

"Anquan Boldin traded to 49ers for a sixth-round pick….WHAT!!!'' Smith wrote on his Twitter account Monday afternoon.

"This business is BS at times.''

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/niners/2013/03/11/anquan-boldin-san-francisco-49ers-baltimore-ravens-joe-flacco/1979883/

If you think this move draws some fire, wait until Ed Reed signs with the Patriots

RavenManiac
03-11-2013, 05:25 PM
It had little to nothing to do with Flacco's contract, let's get real. Flacco's cap hit for 2013 is $6.8M. Read that again, $6.8M.

Boldin had one year left on his deal. Boldin is 32 years old. Boldin wouldn't take a pay cut (or cheap extension which amounts to a pay cut).

The real contracts that are currently causing "pits" that need dirt are Suggs' and Ngata's. Boldin's money will be going to Ellerbe and/or a left tackle, imo.

Fire Haley
03-11-2013, 05:28 PM
According to reports, not all of Boldin's money comes off the books, with the remaining $1.5 million going against the cap in dead money.

Joe's QB rating just sunk 20pts, his lob balls will go nowhere now - Ravens will be lucky to go .500 next year

Bane
03-11-2013, 05:55 PM
I feel a lot more comfortable letting Keenan Lewis test Free Agency now.

This offseason gets funnier and funnier every time I see the words "Baltimore" and/or "Ravens".

TRH
03-11-2013, 06:07 PM
while not mainly caused by Flacco's contract, this is just a sign of things to come for the Ravens. Welcome to the world of cap hell. The party's over.
Ask the fans down in N.O. how they're doing after giving Brees a gazillion dollars and now they can't sign nothin'.

My favorite F.A. of the Raven's is Kruger. He'll get paid (and probably overpaid) somewhere this week or next week, but i like him alot.
As far as Smith's comments - its not BS at all. Nobody owes anybody anything. The only thing thats BS is giving one guy all the money.

Fire Haley
03-11-2013, 06:38 PM
uh-oh

Now Ed Reed is pissed

Free agent Ed Reed has hired an agent.

Reed isn't planning to self-negotiate a sweetheart deal with the Ravens. Per CBS' Jason La Canfora, there's a "good chance he moves on."

Indianapolis and New England are the future Hall-of-Famer's most likely suitors

SteelersCanada
03-11-2013, 06:49 PM
Ed Reed hires agent, could be headed to 49ers

Posted by Mike Florio

Receiver Anquan Boldin may not be the only Ravens player who joins the 49ers.

A league source with extensive knowledge of the current safety market believes that the 49ers could land Ravens safety Ed Reed.

As Albert Breer of NFL Network first reported on Twitter (as best we can tell), Reed has indeed hired David Dunn of Athletes First. Now that Reed has an agent, the agent can talk to teams in advance of the start of free agency at 4:00 p.m. ET on Tuesday.

The fact that Reed is in play for the Niners means that Dashon Goldson isn’t. Goldson is expected to be the hottest free agent on the safety market. Reed may not be the hottest, but he may be the next big name to join one of the hottest teams in the league.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/11/ed-reed-hires-agent-could-be-headed-to-49ers/

-- I hear that Welker, Revis, Lewis, Wallace, Reed, Ellerbe, Kruger and Avril could all be headed to the 49ers. Of course, I heard this from my "league source with extensive knowledge of the safety market". What a crock of shit. Why is every single free agent being tied to San Fran? They have 2.5 million in cap space right now.

stb_steeler
03-11-2013, 07:06 PM
Ed Reed hires agent, could be headed to 49ers

Posted by Mike Florio

Receiver Anquan Boldin may not be the only Ravens player who joins the 49ers.

A league source with extensive knowledge of the current safety market believes that the 49ers could land Ravens safety Ed Reed.

As Albert Breer of NFL Network first reported on Twitter (as best we can tell), Reed has indeed hired David Dunn of Athletes First. Now that Reed has an agent, the agent can talk to teams in advance of the start of free agency at 4:00 p.m. ET on Tuesday.

The fact that Reed is in play for the Niners means that Dashon Goldson isn’t. Goldson is expected to be the hottest free agent on the safety market. Reed may not be the hottest, but he may be the next big name to join one of the hottest teams in the league.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/11/ed-reed-hires-agent-could-be-headed-to-49ers/

-- I hear that Welker, Revis, Lewis, Wallace, Reed, Ellerbe, Kruger and Avril could all be headed to the 49ers. Of course, I heard this from my "league source with extensive knowledge of the safety market". What a crock of shit. Why is every single free agent being tied to San Fran? They have 2.5 million in cap space right now.

With only 2.5 cap space, i dont see Wallace goin there.

Fire Haley
03-11-2013, 09:31 PM
ha ha

McKinnie declares no discounts for the Ravens

Left tackle Bryant McKinnie, who came out of the doghouse to lead a line improvement in the postseason, said there would be no more discounts for Baltimore.

“They bought a Maserati, (Flacco) they need to pay for the insurance.”

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000149789/article/bryant-mckinnie-seeking-lucrative-deal-from-baltimore-ravens

harrison'samonster
03-11-2013, 09:37 PM
ha ha

McKinnie declares no discounts for the Ravens

Left tackle Bryant McKinnie, who came out of the doghouse to lead a line improvement in the postseason, said there would be no more discounts for Baltimore.

“They bought a Maserati, (Flacco) they need to pay for the insurance.”

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000149789/article/bryant-mckinnie-seeking-lucrative-deal-from-baltimore-ravens

that is priceless. I'd say some of the Ravens aren't happy with Flacco cashing in on their own hard work.

TRH
03-11-2013, 09:56 PM
all these Raven's are coming out telling the organization they "have to pay these men" full-pop - but the money just isn't there. You can't pay everyone all the money. There's going to HAVE to be discounts - or you can leave town.
I knew as soon as Flacco got that contract that there would be trouble in that town. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Many guys will move on. Its starting to play out just as i absolutely knew it would. And this is only the beginning.
:popcorn:

Fire Haley
03-11-2013, 10:07 PM
that is priceless. I'd say some of the Ravens aren't happy with Flacco cashing in on their own hard work.

yeah, they sound pissed

"Hey, if Average Joe can bust the bank, fuck Ozzie, I want to cash in too"

kan_t
03-11-2013, 10:24 PM
It had little to nothing to do with Flacco's contract, let's get real. Flacco's cap hit for 2013 is $6.8M. Read that again, $6.8M.

Boldin had one year left on his deal. Boldin is 32 years old. Boldin wouldn't take a pay cut (or cheap extension which amounts to a pay cut).

The real contracts that are currently causing "pits" that need dirt are Suggs' and Ngata's. Boldin's money will be going to Ellerbe and/or a left tackle, imo.
It's not only about the cap hit. It's about the message Flacco's contract sent to his teammates. If team is willing to give Flacco a record breaking deal after a great playoff run, your best WR in playoff and LT sure wouldn't take a discount or pay cut.

SteelCitian
03-12-2013, 08:35 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/ravens-trade-anquan-boldin-49ers-sixth-round-pick-203706344--nfl.html

Never would of thought he would be going to the team he and the Ravens beat in the Super Bowl.

Steelers>NFL
03-12-2013, 08:37 AM
Ravens lost, and Niners gain!

ebsteelers
03-12-2013, 08:51 AM
traded for a stick of gum and trading cards

steelfury02
03-12-2013, 08:59 AM
traded for a stick of gum and trading cards

yea - 6th round pick is nothing, but nothing is nothing compared to a 6th round pick - there only other option was to release him - then, more importantly - he could choose where he wanted to go and could have gone to an AFC team, heck - even the Patriots - Ravens wanted no part of seeing him in the playoffs.

ebsteelers
03-12-2013, 09:04 AM
yea - 6th round pick is nothing, but nothing is nothing compared to a 6th round pick - there only other option was to release him - then, more importantly - he could choose where he wanted to go and could have gone to an AFC team, heck - even the Patriots - Ravens wanted no part of seeing him in the playoffs.

agreed.. and who knows that 6th round pick could turn into a quality player or even they get a decent special teams player its a good move.

it also gives them leverage on draft day if they want to move up in other rounds..

overall good move by the ravens if they couldnt sign up

SteelCitian
03-12-2013, 09:04 AM

I won't even be surprised if they don't even make the playoffs next year.

Bayz101
03-12-2013, 09:05 AM
Well, in all fairness, they either had to cut him or trade him, and they had VERY little time to do so. That isn't exactly good trade leverage, and they're lucky they got a 6th and not a compensatory late 7th round pick.

Is he worth more? Hell yes. He's easily worth a 2nd or 3rd rounder, even at his age, but without leverage, they had no chance of getting that kind of deal.

steelfury02
03-12-2013, 09:15 AM
I won't even be surprised if they don't even make the playoffs next year.

as we all know - depends on where their head is at - if they feel satisfied they're in for a long season - it will be interesting to see how we play them not that the lofty expectations are on them - this is actually a little refreshing (obviously I'd rather our guys be on top - but, might as well embrace the underdog role)

steelax04
03-12-2013, 09:27 AM
Merge with the existing thread?

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=96929

tony hipchest
03-12-2013, 09:34 AM
Joe's QB rating just sunk 20pts, his lob balls will go nowhere now - Ravens will be lucky to go .500 next year

#Fact

tony hipchest
03-12-2013, 09:39 AM
all these Raven's are coming out telling the organization they "have to pay these men" full-pop - but the money just isn't there. You can't pay everyone all the money. There's going to HAVE to be discounts - or you can leave town.
I knew as soon as Flacco got that contract that there would be trouble in that town. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Many guys will move on. Its starting to play out just as i absolutely knew it would. And this is only the beginning.
:popcorn:

that makes the steelers being able to keep all their core guys after winning a superbowl and giving ben a $100 million contract even that much more impressive.

now our own fans are bitching and moaning that we are in "cap hell".

harrison'samonster
03-12-2013, 09:39 AM
Flacco's still got his #2 receiver, defensive pass interference, to rely on

Fire Haley
03-12-2013, 09:54 AM
Like rats deserting a sinking ship

If 49ers lose S Dashon Goldson, some around league expecting them to make push for free-agent S Ed Reed. Could be Reed and Boldin in SF.

TRH
03-12-2013, 11:37 AM

haha.....

GMU Steeler
03-12-2013, 11:47 AM

Heh I dunno, Pass Interference may be looking for a big contract soon. Hearing rumors that the Niners are going hard after Reed.

SteelersCanada
03-12-2013, 12:08 PM
SF is trying to buy a championship. Ask the Eagles how that went.

RavenManiac
03-12-2013, 01:46 PM

I have to admit, that is funny. :chuckle:

("It's funny because it's true.")

NSMaster56
03-12-2013, 02:10 PM
Bill Barnwell's write up on Grantland was pretty good.

All things considered, the trade, while obviously better for SF, saved the Ravens cap money and netted them a draft pick they wouldn't have earned if they cut him.

All yous pointing out how Reed, Mount and others may be 'pissed' at B-More for [over] paying for Flacco are most likely correct. That deal is already hurting them and may continue to do so.

NSMaster56
03-12-2013, 02:13 PM
SF is trying to buy a championship. Ask the Eagles how that went.

Difference being that the Niners have more talent on both sides of the ball than the Iggles ever did and a WAY more competent coach.

Oh, and they came within one play of winning Super Bowl one year after being two bone-headed ST plays away from making it, so...

They might as well strike while the iron is hot.

mikegrimey
03-12-2013, 02:16 PM
We may be in the same situation as the ravens in a couple years
When Bens contract is up is he going to take less than Flacco?

Either way I don't think trading Boldin is a bad move, he did t want to take a pay cut, is now there #2 and is pretty old anyway.

harrison'samonster
03-12-2013, 03:13 PM
I have to admit, that is funny. :chuckle:

("It's funny because it's true.")

unfortunately it's true because that's the way the league is headed. every team benefits from it, and sometimes it's necessary to throw the flag. But most times I'd rather see them just play. Oh well.

NSMaster56
03-12-2013, 05:09 PM
We may be in the same situation as the ravens in a couple years
When Bens contract is up is he going to take less than Flacco?

Hopefully by then the Steelers will have jettisoned the last of their overpriced vets and will have enough money to retain BB at a fair price and keep a young-ish corps around him.

jacobo
03-12-2013, 05:50 PM
Ben has been a team guy his entire career. He's made a bunch of money already. He'll take a Brady-like contract I think

mikegrimey
03-13-2013, 07:07 AM
Ben has been a team guy his entire career. He's made a bunch of money already. He'll take a Brady-like contract I think

We'll see, I certainly hope so, although with his tendency to get injured I don't know if a 60 mil guaranteed contract would be great for Ben, plus, Brady is older, this will be Bens last chance for a big contract.

Edman
03-13-2013, 07:59 AM
I wouldn't count out the Ravens. They still have Ray Rice.

That said, Hope Flacco enjoys that big contract he got. He has no more room for excuses or margin for error. You're being paid big money for ONE good postseason, time to prove it.

lloydwoodson
03-24-2013, 03:34 PM
I wouldn't count out the Ravens. They still have Ray Rice.

That said, Hope Flacco enjoys that big contract he got. He has no more room for excuses or margin for error. You're being paid big money for ONE good postseason, time to prove it.

What are you talking about? You mean ONE good postseason other than the 10 TD 0 INT Superbowl winning postseason he just had in which all 4 of his games saw him register better than 100 rating?