PDA

View Full Version : Cook: James Harrison's exit from Steelers wrong, avoidable

Hawaii 5-0
03-11-2013, 04:56 PM
Cook: Harrison's exit from Steelers wrong, avoidable

March 10, 2013
By Ron Cook / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

I'm a guy who seldom has more than two quarters in his pocket so I'm hardly qualified to comment on high-financial matters. But since when has that stopped me? I don't pretend to understand the staggering numbers that were in linebacker James Harrison's contract or the impact they had on the Steelers' fragile salary-cap situation.

But I do know it's flat wrong for the team to let him go. He would have helped the Steelers compete for a Super Bowl next season. You keep guys like that. You don't send them away.

I know all the reasons the Steelers felt they had to release Harrison Saturday. He turns 35 May 4. He had knee surgery last summer. Apparently, he wasn't interested in taking a pay cut the way veteran nose tackle Casey Hampton did last summer. That pay-cut thing was the deal-breaker.

I also know the Steelers seldom make a mistake when they allow a star player to leave. They blew it when they let cornerback Rod Woodson, then 31, go after the 1996 season. Dan Rooney still says it's one of his big regrets as Steelers owner. Woodson played great football for seven more years with the San Francisco 49ers, Baltimore Ravens and Oakland Raiders, helped the Ravens win the Super Bowl after the 2000 season and made it to the Hall of Fame. But who else? What other player did the Steelers release prematurely?

All that doesn't mean the Steelers didn't botch the Harrison decision. He isn't your typical older player. The team doesn't have anyone to replace him. And, contrary to much speculation, the Steelers are built to win now and will be for as long as Ben Roethlisberger is the quarterback. They aren't rebuilding. They don't need to get younger. They need Harrison.

Harrison missed the first three games last season after knee surgery during training camp. He struggled for a long time after coming back but was a terror again by the end of the season. He said he never had a chance to rehab his knee and was more focused on just being able to play week to week. He predicted that an offseason of training would make him good as new. No one on the Steelers works harder than Harrison. There's no doubt he'll be ready to have a big season by the time July gets here.

Sadly, for both the Steelers and Harrison, it won't be with the Steelers.

Word is Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau and linebackers coach Keith Butler wanted Harrison back. This wasn't like last offseason when the coaches decided Hines Ward and James Farrior no longer could play. The feeling in the coaches' room is Harrison still has plenty left. The Steelers defense ranked No. 1 in the NFL last season despite getting less than the usual mayhem from Harrison and oft-injured stars LaMarr Woodley and Troy Polamalu. Jason Worilds should move into the lineup now that Harrison is gone, but he's no Harrison. He can rush the passer just fine. He had five sacks and eight quarterback hurries last season, mostly as a backup to Harrison or Woodley. But he's not exactly stout in the run game. He's a significant drop-off from Harrison.

Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert insists the team isn't rebuilding. I believe him, although cutting Harrison screams otherwise. As former Steelers coach Bill Cowher always said, "There's a fine line in this business between winning and losing." The Steelers proved that again last season. If Roethlisberger didn't throw critical interceptions against Dallas and Cincinnati, the Steelers probably would have made the playoffs. If wide receiver Antonio Brown didn't lose key fumbles against Oakland and Dallas, they probably would have finished 10-6 instead of 8-8. There are a handful of other examples I could have cited. It's enough to make me believe that, with Harrison ready to go next season and Woodley and Polamalu staying healthy, there's no reason the team couldn't compete in the AFC North Division and be a Super Bowl contender.

I go back to Roethlisberger. The Steelers should never be counted out of any game or season as long as he's the quarterback. That's why all the draft talk that has the team taking a quarterback in an early round is nonsense. Colbert and Tomlin need to find playmakers to put around Roethlisberger to give him the best chance to be successful. Now isn't the time to be worrying about his replacement. It's the time to get him some help.

Now, suddenly, outside linebacker has become another area of great need.

As hard as it is to imagine the Harrison release turning out well for the Steelers, there is no guarantee it will work out well for Harrison, either. He said all along he wanted to stay here, but his stance in the contract talks said otherwise. Even if he gets the same money he was due to make with the Steelers, he will have to start over with a new team playing a new defensive system. That's never easy. I'm sure Harrison eventually will fit in and be comfortable in another team's uniform, but it's going to take a long time for the rest of us to get used to it.

It really is sad, isn't it?

Tomlin and the Steelers wanted to keep Harrison. Harrison wanted to stay here. I can't believe their differences were irreconcilable.

This is one divorce that didn't have to happen.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/ron-cook/cook-harrisons-exit-from-steelers-wrong-avoidable-678665/#ixzz2NG8ZX5If

StainlessStill
03-11-2013, 05:02 PM
Lets dwell! Fuck.

rrage
03-11-2013, 05:06 PM
This is what I've been saying in other threads. :banging:

FrancoLambert
03-11-2013, 05:10 PM
He's right, it didn't have to happen. But it did.

Management and coaching wanted him at a reduced price.

He and his agent wouldn't budge. Harrison should have compromised a bit to remain a Steeler.
Sounds like he would have been able to match (achieving incentives) his last salary.

Seems fair to me when you consider his age and injury issues.

I'm sorry to see him go. I believe he could have helped us for 1 more year before retiring.

VaDave
03-11-2013, 05:20 PM
Of course this didn't have to happen. We could have given him a 10 year contract extension...... Yes Harrsion can play, just not $6 million dollars worth, especially when they're paying Woodley boocoos buck to play patty cake with TEs.

I also disagree with the assertion that we had a superbowl contending team last year. Yeah, we were a play or two from 10-6. At the same time however, we were also a play or two away from 6-10.

As for Worlids How come as un assuming as a run stuffer as Cook claims he is, per game played averages more tackles that Woodley?

sloppyjoe
03-11-2013, 05:56 PM
dumbass article. the reason the steelers are in this position is because they tried to keep the core together for another run by extending and restructuring guys.. at some point you have to pay the piper. that time is now.
this team is years away and a coach away from reaching another superbowl.

VaDave
03-11-2013, 08:04 PM
sloppy joe,

Things are not as bad as all that. As for the comment on the coach, are you going to come back and own up when things turn around with a bunch of nobodies?

austinfrench76
03-11-2013, 08:08 PM
What's even more dissappointing is what Harrison has said since he left. Hw ould love to play for teh Browns? Would like to play with Tom Brady or even the RAVENS???!!!! The Ravens for christ sake???!!! I agree with most of what's being said here but what he's saying now make sme feel like I'm okay with him leaving. Maybe it's sour grapes but this guy was the epitome of Steeler football and at least guys like Boldin and other Ravens said they would retire rather than play for teh Steelers. I mean, F'em but at least I respect that. KIt's just diaapointing. That's all. Onward and upward. I'm am now the Worlds biggest Worilds fan!! Ok, not that funny but still...

harrison'samonster
03-11-2013, 08:13 PM
What's even more dissappointing is what Harrison has said since he left. Hw ould love to play for teh Browns? Would like to play with Tom Brady or even the RAVENS???!!!! The Ravens for christ sake???!!! I agree with most of what's being said here but what he's saying now make sme feel like I'm okay with him leaving. Maybe it's sour grapes but this guy was the epitome of Steeler football and at least guys like Boldin and other Ravens said they would retire rather than play for teh Steelers. I mean, F'em but at least I respect that. KIt's just diaapointing. That's all. Onward and upward. I'm am now the Worlds biggest Worilds fan!! Ok, not that funny but still...

that is funny! I love it. I do disagree with you to a point. It's disappointing hearing players you've enjoyed watching say stuff about going to other teams, but these people don't have the same relationship with their team that we as fans do. It's their job.

I don't know what team Harrison was a fan of growing up, but it likely could have been the Browns, so why would I be upset if he revealed he would like to play there?

vasteeler
03-11-2013, 08:21 PM
dumbass article. the reason the steelers are in this position is because they tried to keep the core together for another run by extending and restructuring guys.. at some point you have to pay the piper. that time is now.

just a bit of over reaction

steeltheone
03-11-2013, 08:26 PM

He played with passion on the field. Off the field he was a woman beater. That takes the epitome of Steeler football off the board.

I'm just glad i don't have to cheer the thug on anymore.

OX1947
03-11-2013, 08:26 PM
Hey geniuses, we ain't signing our young guys either, so, your argument means nothing.

steelfury02
03-11-2013, 09:08 PM
calling people geniuses is doing what for you exactly?

im getting really tired of the smart-ass put downs and obvious jabs for the sake of just being an asshole

no one needed you saying that - your remark summed up everything that has already been posted here and every related Steeler free agency article on all mediums - can you just accept the fact that not everyone knows absolutely everything and that in fact your uppity opinion of others is in fact NOT contributing anything of any great value?

here it comes - go ahead and tell me about how you think my posts are crappy - I can take it, and I really expect it from someone that uses put downs as a way to come across as more knowledgeable

If you post something first - GREAT FOR YOU (Clap, clap, clap). If you are sick of reading something you already read - then don't read it. Don't post something negative and expect people to just eat it.

oh yea, have a nice day:thumbsup:

Bayz101
03-11-2013, 09:38 PM

I bet you're one of the guys who want Cowher back and have a poster of "The Chin" on your wall. Not to mention the shirt you have in glass case above your livingroom couch that he got a little spit on from one of his fiery rants. :chuckle:

In all seriousness, Tomlin is fine. He's never had a losing season as coach of the Steelers. It would be insane to fire him, and it won't happen.

harrison'samonster
03-11-2013, 09:42 PM
maybe if Tomlin spit more on the sidelines? lol

TRH
03-11-2013, 10:01 PM
I wish we could've worked a compromise w/James as well. I'm not sure what they him and his agent wanted, but they had to understand his age/injuries would equal less worth.
His presence will be sorely missed. He's "GO" on every play, every time. I just don't see that from the other guys.
And his gym habits! I sure wish LaMarr Woodley was a gym rat warrior beast like James is. Wouldn't you love to see Woodley come to camp ripped and shredded like James? I would.

sloppyjoe
03-11-2013, 11:10 PM
sloppy joe,

Things are not as bad as all that. As for the comment on the coach, are you going to come back and own up when things turn around with a bunch of nobodies?

i will be happy to admit i was wrong about tomlin if he gets this team to the superbowl the next 2 or 3 years with his players.
if he doesnt, will you own up that he rode cowhers players coattails to the superbowls and admit that he cant get there with his own?

sloppyjoe
03-11-2013, 11:16 PM
I bet you're one of the guys who want Cowher back and have a poster of "The Chin" on your wall. Not to mention the shirt you have in glass case above your livingroom couch that he got a little spit on from one of his fiery rants. :chuckle:

In all seriousness, Tomlin is fine. He's never had a losing season as coach of the Steelers. It would be insane to fire him, and it won't happen.

actually i wanted cowher to leave when he consitantly ignored the qb position for years and stuck with the dolt kordell so long. he wopuld have had numerousa supoerbowl victorys if he invested in a real qb.........

yes tomlin is mediocre and wont get fired. i want a good/great headcoach that gets the best out of his players. noway you can tell me that his teams are prepared, focused or disciplined

tony hipchest
03-11-2013, 11:28 PM
He played with passion on the field. Off the field he was a woman beater. That takes the epitome of Steeler football off the board.

I'm just glad i don't have to cheer the thug on anymore.he isnt a thug, and he wasnt a woman beater.

he slapped his wife one time. a stupid mistake and crime, indeed. he paid his dues and im sure she has forgiven him.

maybe you should do the same as well. :noidea:

harrison'samonster
03-11-2013, 11:30 PM
sloppyjoe you crack me up. You just expect everybody to be perfect and the Steelers to win several SB's every few years or it's time to start over? There are other teams that put as much money and effort into winning.

sloppyjoe
03-11-2013, 11:58 PM
sloppyjoe you crack me up. You just expect everybody to be perfect and the Steelers to win several SB's every few years or it's time to start over? There are other teams that put as much money and effort into winning.

dont remember when i said we need to start over every couple years. if it makes you feel better making that up, so be it.
i gues what cracks me up about you is being happy with a team that doesnt play up to their ability, is unprepared and undisciplined.

harrison'samonster
03-12-2013, 12:03 AM
dont remember when i said we need to start over every couple years. if it makes you feel better making that up, so be it.
i gues what cracks me up about you is being happy with a team that doesnt play up to their ability, is unprepared and undisciplined.

you wanted Cowher gone you want Tomlin gone. So when we don't find the perfect coach you want to start over? You don't think that would lead to starting over every couple of years? Or do you think after these coaches leave then we'll magically find the "greatest coach ever".

I'm happy to be a fan of the Steelers, and it makes it more fun if they win.

sloppyjoe
03-12-2013, 12:33 AM
you wanted Cowher gone you want Tomlin gone. So when we don't find the perfect coach you want to start over? You don't think that would lead to starting over every couple of years? Or do you think after these coaches leave then we'll magically find the "greatest coach ever".

I'm happy to be a fan of the Steelers, and it makes it more fun if they win.

i want to start over when you realize the guy cant get the most out of his players whether that be 16-0 or 6-10.
well, according to a lot of the fans here, we did find the 'greatest coach ever'. now that cowhers players are old and gone, tomlin has been exposed as the mediocre coach he is. time to move on.......its been 6 years right?, not a couple

SteelersCanada
03-12-2013, 12:43 AM
It took Cowher 15 years to win a Super Bowl with his players.

It took Tomlin 3.

???

That's the dumbest argument I've ever seen. It takes a great coach to make great players, well, great.

harrison'samonster
03-12-2013, 12:46 AM
i want to start over when you realize the guy cant get the most out of his players whether that be 16-0 or 6-10.
well, according to a lot of the fans here, we did find the 'greatest coach ever'. now that cowhers players are old and gone, tomlin has been exposed as the mediocre coach he is. time to move on.......its been 6 years right?, not a couple

that first line doesn't make much sense to me. Are you saying you would want to get rid of a coach that led a team to 16-0?

I haven't seen anybody on here saying Tomlin was anywhere near the greatest coach ever. And if you want to call the players one coaches or another's, they've been Tomlin's players since he took over. And in those 6 years the Steelers have had a .656 winning %, .625 in the playoffs. They've won one SB and been to another.

Fire Arians
03-12-2013, 03:23 AM
http://www.stillers.com/UserFiles/Images/Trenches/AdolfGoodell-01.png

Harrison fined by NFL for $200,000 for not restructuring his contract

lloydwoodson
03-12-2013, 03:45 AM
Harrison can do and say what he wants and play for who he wants.

If your boss told you "I don't think you are worth what I am paying you. You have to take a paycut to stay here, in fact, from now on you make minimum wage and work for bonuses" you would have a problem with it.

It is what it is.

The Steelers didn't show much loyalty to Debo in the past. Isn't this the third time the Steelers have released him? Or only the second?

Don't forget it is a multi-billion dollar business.

steelfury02
03-12-2013, 07:45 AM
I think Mike Tomlin still had to deal with a disappointing exit in the first round at Heinz field in his rookie coaching season

I think Tomlin had to deal with a frustrated Willie Parker, a frustrated running game, and was key in psyching up the O-line and Ben to do it the Steeler Way and win the game in the 4th quarter, even't if it wasn't pretty.

I think Tomlin did a great job of coaching up the defense to be legendary - especially with his experience as a DBs coach for the Bucs when they won their SB and picked off what, 4 passes in the SB? (Could be wrong - but I think they ran a few back too).

As a matter of fact - Tomlin had the foresight to make the defenders turn and run back downfield to block in case of an INT in the practice leading up to the SB - and guess what - Harrison wouldn't have had his legendary moment without those guys being coached up to do their job when they got an INT - that move alone earned him his current spot today

I get why people think Tomlin is riding Cowher's coattails - but you have to step back and realize he isn't the be all end all with personnel decisions. If the young guys don't step up again this season - I do think Colbert should be feeling a little warm in his seat - but as stated - his two down seasons out of 6 was 9-7 and 8-8. There's teams like the Dolphins, Jag, Cardinals, Rams to name a few that would love to get 8-8 consistently

I always go back to the Cowher QB decision making too - and for all the "meddling" that the ownership does - they stepped in and told Cowher to pick Roethlisberger instead of Rivers - thank goodness that happened. Rivers would be out of football with the line we've had.

Everyone wants the sexy coaches after they make a trip to the conference championships and SBs or they turn a terrible team into a playoff team. Saints are crap - Sean Peyton is the man. Jets go to two AFC champ games - Rex is the man. The Harbarf brothers go to the SB, now everyone wants John instead, who only recently got his team over the hump, and knows damn well that we were the better team with a healthy Ben this season -hence losing to Chaz. Luck plays as much a part of your destined season as does focus and talent. Andy Reid has Alex Smith and they resigned Bowe - they must be the best! Don't feed into the media hype! Give consistency a chance - its going to pay off again while other coaches come and go.

There's a lot of people outside of Steeler Nation who say we're "lucky" we never had to face the Patriots on our way to a SB - would you say that makes the accomplishment any less important? We beat the teams who beat the Patriots in the playoffs. Tomlin is psychologically like Noll in that actions speak louder than words - maybe you just have to accept that some players who shall not be named were halting Tomlin from getting through to the locker room - now that those guys are gone - you might see a difference again.

This will also be Ben's team more than ever - I'm excited to see what he does with that scenario

Steeldude
03-12-2013, 08:10 AM

It took Tomlin 3.

???

That's the dumbest argument I've ever seen. It takes a great coach to make great players, well, great.

Tomlin's players?

Bayz101
03-12-2013, 08:28 AM
Tomlin's players?

Haha! Gotta love the "Cowher's players" argument. It's been debunked and thrashed so many times i'm actually quite shocked to see it posted again.

tmacsteelerfan
03-12-2013, 09:07 AM
This will also be Ben's team more than ever - I'm excited to see what he does with that scenario

Now it's undeniable that Ben is the face of the franchise. He needs to be the leader vocally and on the field this season. Now instead of Harrison's attitude and play style representing Steeler football, it's got to be Ben and his toughness.

Also as much as I would have liked to work things out with Harrison, I'm excited to see what Worilds can do as the starter. I know we saw more potential from Harrison the year before Porter left, than what we've seen of Worilds, but we usually know what we're doing when it comes to LB's.

steelax04
03-12-2013, 09:34 AM
Haha! Gotta love the "Cowher's players" argument. It's been debunked and thrashed so many times i'm actually quite shocked to see it posted again.

Yeah, Cohwer's players gave him that wonderful lame duck season but then somehow decided to step up and play for a new coach and win a Super Bowl? I don't get the "Cowher's players" argument either.

sloppyjoe
03-12-2013, 09:47 AM
that first line doesn't make much sense to me. Are you saying you would want to get rid of a coach that led a team to 16-0?

I haven't seen anybody on here saying Tomlin was anywhere near the greatest coach ever. And if you want to call the players one coaches or another's, they've been Tomlin's players since he took over. And in those 6 years the Steelers have had a .656 winning %, .625 in the playoffs. They've won one SB and been to another.

Really?

It took Tomlin 3.

???

Steelers>NFL
03-12-2013, 09:51 AM
One thing about Cowher, his team NEVER choked when they went into the 4th qtr. with the lead. He always kept the D playing at a high level through 4 qtrs. His record was phenomenal in this area. Can not say that for Tomlin. I think his team blew more 4 qtr. leads last year alone that Cowher did over a career.

Millers the sh!t
03-12-2013, 10:10 AM

I'm just glad i don't have to cheer the thug on anymore.

Ike turner was a wife beater. James was not. Just because there was one incident? Please bro....

It's sad you view James, his career and everything he's done for the team, city, fans, autograph and ticket giveaways, countless charity hours etc. Etc. Etc. as a women beater and a thug. That's your view of James?

steelfury02
03-12-2013, 10:24 AM
Ike turner was a wife beater. James was not. Just because there was one incident? Please bro....

It's sad you view James, his career and everything he's done for the team, city, fans, autograph and ticket giveaways, countless charity hours etc. Etc. Etc. as a women beater and a thug. That's your view of James?

Millers the shite, I swear I'm not jumping on you here - but, in all fairness - there are plenty of people, including a lot of NFL players with there violence against women and children campaigns, who believe one hit is one too many - its oks if you don't agree with that though

sometimes 1 mistake is too big of a mistake - hitting a woman or child ranks up there after the murderers and pervs.

that said - Tomlin is a different type of coach than Cowher - Cowher was en emotional motivator, Tomlin is more of a deliberate methodical guy and plus, please - the jury is still out on Tomlin's tenure here. Yes - there are trends of melting down - but, please, please remember Cowhers 3 year stretch with no playoffs before you decide to pull the trigger - If you can name someone that is actually realistic and attainable that is better than Tomlin - I'm genuinely interested in hearing it for convos sake

Steel Peon
03-12-2013, 10:26 AM
They blew it when they let cornerback Rod Woodson, then 31, go after the 1996 season.

As a long time Steelers fan, there's been a few things over the years they did that really piss me off, and shake my confidence in the organization........this was the biggest one for me.

We'll just call the Harrison departure #2, and Ward's #3.

Edit: And thses are the biggest reasons why no one should ever be a naive homer, who never criticizes anything the Steelers do.......because they absolutely DO make mistakes from time to time. If you don't ever question what your team does, then you might be a Browns fan.

Millers the sh!t
03-12-2013, 11:40 AM
Millers the shite, I swear I'm not jumping on you here - but, in all fairness - there are plenty of people, including a lot of NFL players with there violence against women and children campaigns, who believe one hit is one too many - its oks if you don't agree with that though

sometimes 1 mistake is too big of a mistake - hitting a woman or child ranks up there after the murderers and pervs.

that said - Tomlin is a different type of coach than Cowher - Cowher was en emotional motivator, Tomlin is more of a deliberate methodical guy and plus, please - the jury is still out on Tomlin's tenure here. Yes - there are trends of melting down - but, please, please remember Cowhers 3 year stretch with no playoffs before you decide to pull the trigger - If you can name someone that is actually realistic and attainable that is better than Tomlin - I'm genuinely interested in hearing it for convos sake

People who believe that one mistake can be too big of a mistake, are fooling themselves and can consider themelves just lucky that they haven't been put in a situation where they may have to make a "mistake"

I don't appreciate your moral high ground either in fact I laugh at it when I read it. Children is one thing but, For you to sit there and say there is no excuse to hit a woman is just ignorant. What Youre trying to tell me is that throughout the history of man kind there hasnever been a single fucking female who did some fucked up shit that deserves a smashing. Ever? Now, I dont hit my girl but, I can give ya a list of twenty things right now that is deserving of a Smashing. Now if you think im messed up for having this opinion then you truly must understand that there are 100's of millions of women out there that are wayyyyy more disturbed than me and they probably all deserved a smashing at one point or another in their lives. I'm not a woman beater, I've never hit a woman, but I'm real enough to myself and you that I won't say that I'd never do it, or its never deemed necassarry.

TheVet
03-13-2013, 01:40 AM
I also disagree with the assertion that we had a superbowl contending team last year. Yeah, we were a play or two from 10-6. At the same time however, we were also a play or two away from 6-10.
That's a point that I often make as well.

Steeldude
03-13-2013, 04:02 AM

Are they Cowher's players or Tomlin's? It can't be both.

OX1947
03-13-2013, 04:22 AM

Cowher's 3 year dry spell was filled with draft busts galore and losing all their leaders and never signing their free agents. Those were the last three years Donahoe was player personal and their was a major disconnect with him and Cowher.

Cowher didnt have a franchise QB until the end, and he just so happen to win a Super Bowl in 2 years with him. It is unfortunate he decided to go, maybe it was a combination of burn out and his wife dying, but I still wish he could have hung on.

Tomlin is not a great coach. He is overrated. He is ok. I think he is humble enough to let things be what they need to be like allowing the defense to continue its 3-4 scheme and not screwing with what was working before he came. However, there needs to be a point where you take over and start developing your team. Game plans and schemes are not what make a great coach, its developing your talent.

But then again, if the Steelers win SB XLV, all this is a moot point. That's how close it is from being a bum to being perennial. One drive that didnt happen.

teegre
03-13-2013, 08:31 AM
As a long time Steelers fan, there's been a few things over the years they did that really piss me off, and shake my confidence in the organization........this was the biggest one for me.

The Steelers asked Woodson to play FS, but he refused. He swore that he was still an elite CB.

After an average year in San Fran, he signed with Baltimore... and switched to FS.

A lot of the blame falls on Woodson.

Steel Peon
03-13-2013, 10:04 AM
The Steelers asked Woodson to play FS, but he refused.

And now I know the rest of the story......sucks for us I guess.

teegre
03-13-2013, 11:49 AM
And now I know the rest of the story......sucks for us I guess.

A Paul Harvey reference. You just earned yourself ten "cool points."

steelfury02
03-13-2013, 12:03 PM
People who believe that one mistake can be too big of a mistake, are fooling themselves and can consider themelves just lucky that they haven't been put in a situation where they may have to make a "mistake"

I don't appreciate your moral high ground either in fact I laugh at it when I read it. Children is one thing but, For you to sit there and say there is no excuse to hit a woman is just ignorant. What Youre trying to tell me is that throughout the history of man kind there hasnever been a single fucking female who did some fucked up shit that deserves a smashing. Ever? Now, I dont hit my girl but, I can give ya a list of twenty things right now that is deserving of a Smashing. Now if you think im messed up for having this opinion then you truly must understand that there are 100's of millions of women out there that are wayyyyy more disturbed than me and they probably all deserved a smashing at one point or another in their lives. I'm not a woman beater, I've never hit a woman, but I'm real enough to myself and you that I won't say that I'd never do it, or its never deemed necassarry.

FYI - its not about high ground - its about that the belief is out there. You're right - there are extreme situations where of course I'm going to protect a loved one from some insane lunatic woman lol - I didn't realize my comment had to include the history of man - there was also a thing called barbarism back in the day v. modern, civilized society - that's painting things with broad brushstrokes but I do realize the difference in times, and difference in extreme situations. If a woman hits me, I'm not hitting her back - if a woman hits my wife - trust me, my wife will hit her back. If a woman likes being hit - then that's a whole other problem entirely. Relax big guy - I'm just saying that some situations - 1 time is all it takes to be in trouble and to be guilty in the court of public opinion. Never did I say that Harrison didn't deserve to be forgiven. Hell - no one is in a place to judge but we're all human - aren't we? On to football shtuff now palease :drink:

GoFor7
03-13-2013, 12:15 PM

^We've got a real great citizen right here!

steelfury02
03-13-2013, 12:26 PM
^We've got a real great citizen right here!

GoFor7 - I love you just as much as I live Millers the Shite :drink:

especially enjoy our disagreements over our favorite guy - Todd Haley :chuckle: