PDA

View Full Version : Miami fan looking for insight

decaf
03-12-2013, 11:02 AM
Obviously i'm new, my apologies if posted in the wrong area.

All the buzz about Mike Wallace obviously has Miami fans talking (A lot), and most fans would be happy with the move whereas some are on the fence or against it. I've been looking up as much info and play from MW as I can muster since i've never actually watched him. I'm indifferent at this point. But we are so desperate for a WR its unreal.

Realistically i'm looking on some insight from you guys on what we would potentially have here if reports are true and this pans out as reported. I've heard very mixed reviews from steelers fans about him. If anyone could give me a heads up on him as a player aside from his statline, from your POV as fans, i'd really appreciate it. I'm sure you all may have a bad taste in your mouth from how he is leaving as well, and very well may be happy he is going, but I'm just trying to get a consensus and feel.

steelerschik
03-12-2013, 11:19 AM

All the buzz about Mike Wallace obviously has Miami fans talking (A lot), and most fans would be happy with the move whereas some are on the fence or against it. I've been looking up as much info and play from MW as I can muster since i've never actually watched him. I'm indifferent at this point. But we are so desperate for a WR its unreal.

Realistically i'm looking on some insight from you guys on what we would potentially have here if reports are true and this pans out as reported. I've heard very mixed reviews from steelers fans about him. If anyone could give me a heads up on him as a player aside from his statline, from your POV as fans, i'd really appreciate it. I'm sure you all may have a bad taste in your mouth from how he is leaving as well, and very well may be happy he is going, but I'm just trying to get a consensus and feel.

Hi there. Got lots of family in Miami/Ft. Lauderdale, so I kinda have a soft spot for them. You're gonna get a lot of differing opinions on Mike, I'll give you mine. I see nothing special in Mike Wallace as I saw nothing special in Santonio Holmes, Plaxico Burress....and the list goes on. I've been watching the Steelers since the 70s and if there's one thing any Steelers fan knows is that WRs come and go and no one is irreplaceable. Well that is until the 80s when we had no QB to really matter what kind of WR we had. At least Santonio Holmes helped the Steelers win a SB, Mike hasn't done anything that special. He's fast, he has the ability to be great, but I'm not sure he'll reach his potential greatness without a great QB. As a Steelers fan I hate to see any of our players go, but this organization has proven itself more times than not. No bad taste in my mouth here. Good bye Mike, wish you well in Miami, but the Steelers will be just fine without ya buddy.

harrison'samonster
03-12-2013, 11:22 AM
I've got to agree with Steelerschik. He has loads of potential, and his ability to score from anywhere on the field makes him a huge threat. But he seems like he won't fight for the ball in traffic, and for all his speed he can't adjust at all when the ball is in the air.

If he gets it together his upside is huge.

Bane
03-12-2013, 11:22 AM
He's slammed a little too hard here and in other places, but when he was on his game, he was pretty valuable. He's extremely fast and can blow the top off of just about any secondary.

That said, a lot of what you hear is true- he's only truly effective running the deep routes, and this past year had a ridiculous amount of drops. He also seemed, to me, to choke under pressure.

All in all, he's a good wide receiver, but he's not even close to worth the number one money that your team is about to pay him. It's pretty absurd that NFL teams are really going to give this guy that type of money, given how much the professionals in the front offices are paid to be knowledgeable about the players. Anyone who's watched this guy knows he's only a "number one" because of his speed, and largely got the amount of catches he did the past couple of years because secondaries had to worry about Antonio Brown, Heath Miller, and at one point, Hines Ward.

Fire Haley
03-12-2013, 11:23 AM
Wallace is a bit of a diva, but all our young money crew are, he will bring the YAC with blazing speed, what more do you want?

I predict Fins fans will be masturbating tonight dreaming of Wallace running underneath Tannehill's balls...

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-12-2013, 11:24 AM

Pretty standard stuff. Guy comes into the league as a 3rd rounder and works hard. Plays with a 2time super bowl winning QB and puts up great numbers, then gets a chip on his shoulder and wants to get paid.

Blazing speed, but better route runner than he gets credit for. He lead the team in dropped passes last year and didnt look like was that interested in learning the new system offensively.

Was he sulking and playing out his contract last year, or has he peaked and got complacent as a professional? Not sure. Either way it looks like its going to cost you guys $13million to find out.

I still think pass protection is key for Tannehill and you guys need Jake Long back. Can find Wallace on deep passes from his back.

SteelersCanada
03-12-2013, 11:30 AM
Regurgitating what Bane said, he's the definition of a deep threat. He can take the top off of coverage and open the underneath stuff for guys like Hartline. However, there's a huge, gaping hole in his game: he can't run underneath or mid-range routes with any effectiveness. He can't adjust to an entire new offensive system and while he's very fast, great CBs (like Revis, for example, who you'd have to play twice a year) can shut him down.

If he's asked to just go deep and take the top off of the coverage, he's your guy. However, if you're hoping for him to have any kind of success on underneath or be a reliable third down target, you're going to be disappointed. It boils down to, Mike Wallace is a very good complementary piece in an offense but he's not a guy that can be relied on game in and game out to make the 'big catch' when he has to. It's this kind of inconsistency that made a lot of Steelers fans on here turn against him (and, well, holding our team hostage this past offseason).

I love Mike, but the majority of his game I won't miss. The thing I would be most concerned about would be his disappearing act if the Jets keep Revis and he's on Wallace twice a year. Having a supposed number one target disappear twice a year against a divisional opponent would make me shake my head, especially at the dollar amount he's supposedly getting from you guys.

Steel Peon
03-12-2013, 11:35 AM
If the ball drops perfectly into Wallace's waiting hands, then you'll get an excellent chance at him catching it........let's say about 50/50......and then you may even score. Other than that scenario, I'm not quite sure what else he does. :noidea:

decaf
03-12-2013, 11:37 AM
Thank you for all the quick replies! I'd like to say two things, one, our best WR averages 1 td a season and sub 1k yards aside from once.. blazing speed, upside, blowing the top off the secondary... Those are all the things we need desperately. We have possession WRs in bess and hartline, but I am really concerned about what I hear about the route running... I'm hoping its not AS bad as some claim. I know the guy has duck feet too.

2 - none of us are comfortable with 13+... I know I'm not.. we are essentially in play for EVERY FA wr... But that is a lot of coin. Although, I guess if we will pay 11 then we would pay 13.... That's how FA is I suppose.

decaf
03-12-2013, 11:42 AM
Wallace is a bit of a diva, but all our young money crew are, he will bring the YAC with blazing speed, what more do you want?

I predict Fins fans will be masturbating tonight dreaming of Wallace running underneath Tannehill's balls...

Graphic, AND informative!

TRH
03-12-2013, 11:42 AM
my take on Mike is that he's a talented receiver and i like him, but he's not even close to worth what he's going to get paid (whether it ends up being Miami, Minnesota, whomever).
I'm extremely satisfied that he's walking.
I don't "hate on him" like many do here and like i said, i like him - but he's no Victor Cruz, no Johnson, no Fitgerald. And i wouldn't see him even adding the "value" that a Wes Welker adds to the shrewd Patriots. He also has dips in attitude and hustle.
He'll be a good addition, but to me, just not worth all that money and cap space that it would take up. Again, look at what leading franchise teams do - such as the Steelers, Patriots, Packers, etc. They make smart moves in the long runs and release and let go as needed (which almost ALWAYS ends up being the right thing to do).

Good luck if you sign him - although i'm not the least bit envious.

Fire Haley
03-12-2013, 11:48 AM
Graphic, AND informative!

nothing but the best for my FL brothers

Steel_Bus_24
03-12-2013, 11:49 AM
Not adjusting to the ball is his biggest weakness......He increasingly misjudged the ball and let defenders muscle him out of the way

He's a homerun hitter, but I lost a lot a faith in him when it came to 3rd Downs and clutch catches as the years went by

13 mil is ridiculous to tie up into a WR...especially one who can't be counted on fully in all areas of recieving

SteelerEmpire
03-12-2013, 11:50 AM
I think the biggest question is if Miami is serious about building up it's team ? Wallace will be alright and do his job for the team, but if the Dolphins don't begin to win soon, Wallace will burn out in 1-3 yrs.

steelfury02
03-12-2013, 11:50 AM
You will get a few solid seasons out of Mike - as has been stated - he does not instill fear in defenses in that he will beat anyone, anytime, in anyway possible and is a true top #1 receiver like a Fitzgerald or Megatron - he is a complimentary receiver - basically, if you had to list him on your WR chart - if you had someone like Welker next to him - you could them 1a and 1b.

If I were an org, I would be fearful of giving him the kind of money he wants - and, its not really all his fault as much as I've bashed him - he does need a top QB to throw to him - hence, Santonio Holmes diminishing because he had Sanchez attempting to connect with him. He is not going to make an averge QB look elite. I can't comment on your QB because I never paid attention - from what I hear he has potential to be good but is a work in progress right now

Unless this scenario has awakened some sort of competitive spirit in him - don't expect him to fight for the ball in traffic. He isn't the worst route runner, but he does need to improve his game. Down the field and open space he is dangerous as anyone out there - but, your team is going to overpay for the threat of the deep ball as it is such a low % pass to begin with - you are not all of a sudden going to be scoring a lot more points because of Mike Wallace. The potential is there but the attitude is in question. At least he doesn't get in trouble off the field.

Overall - you should be happy, but dont expect him to be the missing cog

decaf
03-12-2013, 12:00 PM
You will get a few solid seasons out of Mike - as has been stated - he does not instill fear in defenses in that he will beat anyone, anytime, in anyway possible and is a true top #1 receiver like a Fitzgerald or Megatron - he is a complimentary receiver - basically, if you had to list him on your WR chart - if you had someone like Welker next to him - you could them 1a and 1b.

If I were an org, I would be fearful of giving him the kind of money he wants - and, its not really all his fault as much as I've bashed him - he does need a top QB to throw to him - hence, Santonio Holmes diminishing because he had Sanchez attempting to connect with him. He is not going to make an averge QB look elite. I can't comment on your QB because I never paid attention - from what I hear he has potential to be good but is a work in progress right now

Unless this scenario has awakened some sort of competitive spirit in him - don't expect him to fight for the ball in traffic. He isn't the worst route runner, but he does need to improve his game. Down the field and open space he is dangerous as anyone out there - but, your team is going to overpay for the threat of the deep ball as it is such a low % pass to begin with - you are not all of a sudden going to be scoring a lot more points because of Mike Wallace. The potential is there but the attitude is in question. At least he doesn't get in trouble off the field.

Overall - you should be happy, but dont expect him to be the missing cog

Thanks for the post, overall I would be happy with the signing (please dont be 13+ or more...). I don't think any of us expect him to be "THE" missing cog, rather than "A" missing cog, which he infact would be. Both of our WRs are very dependable possesion WRs who are quick. Their downside is no top speed, no burst, no deep seperation, etc. They can't really stretch anything. Bess is one of the most dependable 3rd down WRs in the game.... So At a glance it would seem Wally would be a good compliment to them with His YPA / C.

decaf
03-12-2013, 12:02 PM
Pretty standard stuff. Guy comes into the league as a 3rd rounder and works hard. Plays with a 2time super bowl winning QB and puts up great numbers, then gets a chip on his shoulder and wants to get paid.

Blazing speed, but better route runner than he gets credit for. He lead the team in dropped passes last year and didnt look like was that interested in learning the new system offensively.

Was he sulking and playing out his contract last year, or has he peaked and got complacent as a professional? Not sure. Either way it looks like its going to cost you guys $13million to find out.

I still think pass protection is key for Tannehill and you guys need Jake Long back. Can find Wallace on deep passes from his back.

I agree with the first part, Protecting him is the key and he is great on the run.

That being said, As a Miami fan, At this point you'd pretty much be protecting him more by dumping Long rather than keeping him.

SteelCitian
03-12-2013, 12:20 PM
Talk about our young money crew being a diva-Brown just tweeted this:

Antonio Brown ‏@AntonioBrown84

It's hard being rich young n black ! I got to coupe with that

kan_t
03-12-2013, 12:21 PM
If you want a deep threat, he is the guy you are looking for. He's a one trick pony but his trick is one of the best in the game. He can really open your game if your QB has time to throw.

Just don't bet on him on third down. Even though he's labelled as a No.1 on the team, Brown and Miller are Ben's go-to guys.

steelfury02
03-12-2013, 12:24 PM

can we just get a social media ban into these players contracts? All they are doing is giving fans a reason to bitch about them - really just don't need to hear this kinda nonsense - what does this do for them exactly ? Oh yea, feeds their inflated egos.

Fire Haley
03-12-2013, 12:26 PM

hey, at least it almost rhymed

he shoulda used dat instead of that - more better

SteelCitian
03-12-2013, 12:27 PM
can we just get a social media ban into these players contracts? All they are doing is giving fans a reason to bitch about them - really just don't need to hear this kinda nonsense - what does this do for them exactly ? Oh yea, feeds their inflated egos.

Yea my respect for him kinda dropped a few points. Not sure if hes joking around or whatever, but no need to post that. Its like a slap in face.

SteelCitian
03-12-2013, 12:31 PM
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/542642_10151482627594800_1408066091_n.jpg

lloydwoodson
03-12-2013, 12:31 PM
Not adjusting to the ball is his biggest weakness......He increasingly misjudged the ball and let defenders muscle him out of the way

He's a homerun hitter, but I lost a lot a faith in him when it came to 3rd Downs and clutch catches as the years went by

13 mil is ridiculous to tie up into a WR...especially one who can't be counted on fully in all areas of recieving

This is the best analysis of Wallace imo.

I agree with Bus that Wallace's biggest downfall is his awareness and how he often does not come back hard enough to the ball. Wallace needed to help Ben out and fight his way back to underthrown balls but didn't do that enough.

I disagree that Wallace is weak in the short passing game. Wallace is very effective when he receives screen passes (was by far the most effective Steeler in catching screen passes in Arians' screen pass-happy offense.)

Wallace also took a slant pass 50+ yards to beat the Giants.

Wallace will be missed. He is Roethlisberger's favourite target and a helluva player. He is just too expensive.

cowherpower
03-12-2013, 12:33 PM
I remember watching the combine the year he came out. His first 'unofficial' run was 4.24 which they raised afterward but he ran a legit 40 in the 4.2s I don't care what the 'official' time was. He overcame Ben's weak deep ball and put up great numbers. He was amazing and nobody had an issue with him until it became clear we would not be able to keep him. Players need to get their money while they can. Looks like Wallace was right about what kind of money he would get if the $13 million rumors are correct. It isn't his fault who his QB is. Also not his fault that he isn't great at going over the middle. Would you rather have Boldin who specializes at doing that but can't blow top off coverage? Or a receiver who for sure can go deep but maybe hasn't been asked to go over the middle often or hasn't been coached up yet?

It wasn't until the breakdown between him and the Steelers that fans started to turn on him and also I think he felt disrespected and his game suffered. It really did look like he was giving 85% effort this past season.

Miami needs major upgrade if Tannehill is to succeed. If they sign him it should help Hartline catch 80+ and Wallace should score 10 TD. Tannehill has a strong arm and throws a better deep ball so I expect big things from that duo. They better or else that $13 will hamstring them in the future if he runs wild with the Miami nightlife, he is absolutely a diva and partier so that should be a concern.

livingthrudying
03-12-2013, 12:46 PM
Your gonna pay thru the nose for him. He is FAST there is no doubt about that. Probably the fastest in the game. However as anyone knows (with any sport or athlete), Speed is the first thing to go. you will sign him to a 5 year or longer deal and in a few years his speed will drop as his cap hit rises.

Now you have to take into consideration his Diva attitude. while i understand that players have a short time to make as much as they can (i don't blame them for this it is what it is), Mike doesn't have the foresight to realize that no matter how good you are or what you possess you still have to pay your dues as in any job. Holding out on a rookie contract when you were offered a very good contract extension over pure greed was not smart. He turned down 10 mil a year and held out and had a horrible season because he let his head get clouded with money and status.

To sum it all up i think Mike Wallace is not very bright, lacks a solid work ethic and will put himself ahead of the team always. In other words i believe he is a cancer and the money he is gonna get is only gonna go more to his head and his game play will suffer even more. Mike Wallalce is gonna be the WR version of Darelle Revis with about 1/4 of the talent.

Feel sorry for the team that signs him but better your team than ours. Remember its not that we couldn't sign him we are choosing not to. That should be a red flag to anyone.

stb_steeler
03-12-2013, 12:49 PM

Lets not forget, wont run routes across the middle!

livingthrudying
03-12-2013, 12:49 PM
Also a side note:

i agree with athletes getting all they can, but when you have a chance to be a superstar on a top team a few million a year less is worth being able to stay on a top team (you will make way more in endorsements with multiple rings and always being in the playoffs. If your a top ten athlete on a bottom 10 team you will lose more money in endorsements than you will ever make in salary. Same thing in the real world, i will take a little less at my job to be happy where i work rather than to make a little more and be miserable.

StainlessStill
03-12-2013, 01:05 PM
Here's my take on Wallace. Wallace is the best straight-line runner in the NFL and his blazing speed will always be accounted for in the defense. He gives you that quick strike presence and has a nose for the endzone & Tannehill will hook up with him on occasion.

The downside is that Wallace lacks any type of fight and has very bad body language when going up for the football in tight windows or when separation doesn't occur. Sometimes a ball needs to be perfectly thrown in stride for him to make a clean catch and you need a huge-arm QB to push the ball downfield 5-6 times a game.

If balance in the offense is involved, Wallace has admitted to "fall asleep" and "lose focus" during games and sleepwalk through a certain gameplan if he's not constantly streaking downfield so although there are corners in this league that need help with Wallace's straight-line speed, he isn't physical whatsoever so if things are force fed to him just to force feed him or if the defense takes him out of the game early, he won't be much help for the entire duration of a football game. He also has a very outspoken personality and very much cocky so expect to deal with media nonsense every now and then. Overall, he's an excellent addition to ANY team for his services from the sheer threat of speed alone, but he's nowhere near his asking price when that speed is chopped out from underneath him.

Good luck. Beat the cheats!

ZoneBlitzer
03-12-2013, 01:11 PM
Wallace?

Average hands & blazing speed. Field stretcher. Awkward runner after the catch. Not very agile in that regard. Has bad feet. More of a straight ahead runner. Catches the ball with his body. Has average hand-eye coordination. Great off the snap. Very good in scramble drills. Has mental lapses during games. Loves money, lots of money - more than he's worth.

tony hipchest
03-12-2013, 01:18 PM

It's hard being rich young n black ! I got to coupe with thatWhat brown said on twitter is irrelevant to this thread. he's just quoting song lyrics, which is akin to humming a tune on twitter to let everyone know what youre listening to. everybody relax and get your panties out of a bunch.

anyways, miami fans should expect an electric player who is gonna be on a mission to prove he is one of the best. Like randy moss, just throw him the damn ball. if tannehill can get it there and if philbin lets him do his thang, he will light up the scoreboard.

fans should fill the seats, with excitement to see what he can bring. if he delivers he will be well worth the investment and bring financial returns for the owner.

one thing the fans need right now (possibly more than ever) is something to be excited about.

dont listen to the disgruntled steelerfans who make him out to sound like ted 'drop it a' ginn jr.

mike has made some amazing TD grabs in his short career that all the haters forget about.

im sure philbin remembers the game winner vs GB to end the 09 season.

harrison'samonster
03-12-2013, 01:22 PM
mike has made some amazing TD grabs in his short career that all the haters forget about.

all you have to do is watch any of his highlights, and I don't think a steelers fan could without at some point saying something like "I remember that play, that was great!"

I think ppl forget how good he can be. Unfortunately we haven't seen that side of Wallace enough to make it worth signing him.

wootawnee
03-12-2013, 01:25 PM

Sucka

Steel_Bus_24
03-12-2013, 01:34 PM
all you have to do is watch any of his highlights, and I don't think a steelers fan could without at some point saying something like "I remember that play, that was great!"

I think ppl forget how good he can be. Unfortunately we haven't seen that side of Wallace enough to make it worth signing him.

You get 13 mil+, your flaws better only show up once in a blue moon...

nikstar
03-12-2013, 01:38 PM
Wallace on the field is fantastic. He is in my opinion in the range of top 5-10 receivers in the league. He is the fastest runner in the nfl, period. His critques are that he doesn't run hard enough back to the ball, and that he obviously took it easy this season, but who can blame him with such a big pay day coming?

He will obviously suffer from not having an elite quarterback throwing to him, but I would prefer to keep him at any reasonable cost. Sadly, his agent had polluted his mind that he's worth somewhere in the area of 13mil a year which is just completely impractical for any WR. If the Steelers would have offered him the same 10mil deal he turned down before the season and he accepted, I would be one happy Steeler fan. Losing his touchdown ability will be a huge loss for this team, but there is no conceivable way to afford him. He wants his payday and it sounds like Miami will give it to him.

PhantomJB93
03-12-2013, 01:52 PM
Since the Fins have trouble with their wideouts scoring, you're in luck. Aside from his speed, Wallace's biggest asset IMO is his nose for the endzone. He's not good at the short and intermediate routes like others said, but for some reason in the redzone he finds a way to score more often than not. Anywhere else on the field though it's mostly long bomb or nothing.

Probably the fastest receiver in the league and really exciting to watch. I'll miss him but I'd be lying if I said is work ethic wasn't questionable. Like everyone else said, he has a ton of drops and never adjusts to make a catch, it either perfectly drops into his hands in stride or hits the ground. That got really frustrating this past season since he was more out-of-sync with Roethlisberger than ever before.

Lokki
03-12-2013, 01:55 PM

Yeah, especially when I go to work and bust my butt, then have the politicians that can't pass a budget tell me that I'm about to be furloughed and will lose 20% of my pay for 5 months.

I just love seeing them gloat about their rich people problems. :banging:

NSMaster56
03-12-2013, 02:04 PM
Think of Wallace as a less crazy Randy Moss.
Pros: potential to draw attention/coverage from multiple defenders, speed which stretches the field on deep routes or which can lead to effective 'west coast offense' tactics via quick/short routes.
Cons: he has 'soft hands' and is not known to [consistently] make catches in traffic.

Wallace, when focused and/or motivated, is a top wideout. Adding him would surely help [the development of] Tannehill.

However, with all due respect, Miami is more than a WR---any WR---away from contending.

decaf
03-12-2013, 02:40 PM
What brown said on twitter is irrelevant to this thread. he's just quoting song lyrics, which is akin to humming a tune on twitter to let everyone know what youre listening to. everybody relax and get your panties out of a bunch.

anyways, miami fans should expect an electric player who is gonna be on a mission to prove he is one of the best. Like randy moss, just throw him the damn ball. if tannehill can get it there and if philbin lets him do his thang, he will light up the scoreboard.

fans should fill the seats, with excitement to see what he can bring. if he delivers he will be well worth the investment and bring financial returns for the owner.

one thing the fans need right now (possibly more than ever) is something to be excited about.

dont listen to the disgruntled steelerfans who make him out to sound like ted 'drop it a' ginn jr.

im sure philbin remembers the game winner vs GB to end the 09 season.

Thoroughly enjoyed this post. nice name drop @ ginn. Thanks for the reply

decaf
03-12-2013, 02:45 PM
Think of Wallace as a less crazy Randy Moss.
Pros: potential to draw attention/coverage from multiple defenders, speed which stretches the field on deep routes or which can lead to effective 'west coast offense' tactics via quick/short routes.
Cons: he has 'soft hands' and is not known to [consistently] make catches in traffic.

Wallace, when focused and/or motivated, is a top wideout. Adding him would surely help [the development of] Tannehill.

However, with all due respect, Miami is more than a WR---any WR---away from contending.

Although offtopic

I disagree obviously because I'm a fan and I know my team, lol. No lower half team is 1 player away from contending. We had a very high ranking D for most of the season, (inflated by good trenchplay), and we actually have a QB, and a good one, to build around, as opposed to searching for one EVERY offseason for 14 or so years. Our division is pretty much a joke and the pats are perfectly beatable, even by us. Promising future, Wallace would just be a step, not the whole staircase,

What you and some others here mention about wallace being a top wideout if "motivated" is something i like to hear, I like potential, and i hope the idea of a fat contract and being the alpha male that sparks up a dismal offense will kick him in the rear. doesnt always, or even usually, but heres to hoping. :drink:

jacobo
03-12-2013, 02:48 PM
He's not a true number one guy

OX1947
03-12-2013, 02:58 PM
Mike Wallace will give you 100% when there is no one in the area to tackle him. If he has to catch a ball in traffic, run a precise route, block down field, take a hit, be a good teammate, not poison an already shitty team locker room, carry the offense, or anything positive that doesn't revolve around himself, good luck.

decaf
03-12-2013, 03:01 PM
He's not a true number one guy

Luckily our offense doesnt require, or more specifically want a #1 deemed WR. (our HC being from GB is the spread offense type.) The compliment of his speed and being a deep threat / scorer with our other WRs who are the reliable hands on the short routes is what would make it a good union.

whitejw07
03-12-2013, 03:02 PM
I'm not sure what the definition of a "True #1" is anymore. He's not a complete receiver, but there are few in the game who are. I'm not upset the Steelers are losing him, but I'd be really happy if I were a fan of the team getting him.

harrison'samonster
03-12-2013, 03:03 PM
Luckily our offense doesnt require, or more specifically want a #1 deemed WR. (our HC being from GB is the spread offense type.) The compliment of his speed and being a deep threat / scorer with our other WRs who are the reliable hands on the short routes is what would make it a good union.

that's the perfect situation for Wallace as far as I'm concerned. How's your QB's arm?

decaf
03-12-2013, 03:06 PM
You know since i'm on a Steelers board, two things I must get off my chest.

1. Not that any of us rely care, because we don't. But did you really need to mug pat white? I mean there are fundamentally sound tackles, and just 'good hits' but you MURDERED the poor kid. LOL.

2. That fumble..... I don't even...... It still gives me nightmares to this day. lol. 2010 was it? Thats just one thing we have chalked up as straight up horrific. Lol. I'm one to openly admit if we sneak past a bad call or the other team gets hosed, because the NFL wont get every call right, but still !!!! lol. Maybe you all think differently. idk :P

*if you don't know or remember you can just google dolphins v steelers fumble im sure it'll come right up heh

Bane
03-12-2013, 03:07 PM
that's the perfect situation for Wallace as far as I'm concerned. How's your QB's arm?

I think Tannehill is a tad underrated, and as far as I know doesn't really have trouble with the deep throws.

That said, I didn't watch a large amount of his games this past year, but he was solid.

harrison'samonster
03-12-2013, 03:10 PM
You know since i'm on a Steelers board, two things I must get off my chest.

1. Not that any of us rely care, because we don't. But did you really need to mug pat white? I mean there are fundamentally sound tackles, and just 'good hits' but you MURDERED the poor kid. LOL.

2. That fumble..... I don't even...... It still gives me nightmares to this day. lol. 2010 was it? Thats just one thing we have chalked up as straight up horrific. Lol. I'm one to openly admit if we sneak past a bad call or the other team gets hosed, because the NFL wont get every call right, but still !!!! lol. Maybe you all think differently. idk :P

*if you don't know or remember you can just google dolphins v steelers fumble im sure it'll come right up heh

personally I'm sorry he got hurt, but he was a yard or two away from the 1st down and instead of running out of bounds tried to lower his head and get the down.

Unfortunately injuries are going to occur in football. Ike hit him hard that's for sure.

decaf
03-12-2013, 03:12 PM

I screamed at the TV during draft night when we grabbed Tannehill, I was livid. But I have to say he has been a pleasant surprise. He has a cannon for an arm when it comes to the deep routes with beautiful breadbasket accuracy. and he even made brianhartline the top WR in the NFL for like the first 6 weeks or something? giving him a something like a 12-250-1 game... and this is an 800 yd 0 TD move-the-chains kind of WR...... his accuracy is on point, but its all timing routes in our spread scheme, which is another thing about MW that concerns me. They really had to practice a lot to get in sync with Tannehill. but atleast they would have an offseason to work it out.

Long story short, I was skeptical... just like our last 16 qbs....(lol). but hes really something. his biggest plus sides are how well he throws on the run, and his pre-snap reads are very good.

edit: I will also state that this, he pretty much broke even TD-int, and that stat is one of the most misleading ones about his season. Underrated he is most definitely. He literally threw near double that number of TDs in which our WRs would trip and fall for no reason in open space, or drop the ball, or not be quick enough downfield etc. hence why WR was our priority in the OS.

Ricco Suavez
03-12-2013, 03:15 PM
Biggest asset is Speed. Biggest detriment is toughness.

I for one would of loved to have him stay with the Steelers but Wallace and his agent have put too high of price on his worth for the Steelers to pursue him. Just because the Steelers will not and can not pay does not mean he will not get his asking price. One mans bargain is another mans folly.

decaf
03-12-2013, 03:15 PM
personally I'm sorry he got hurt, but he was a yard or two away from the 1st down and instead of running out of bounds tried to lower his head and get the down.

Unfortunately injuries are going to occur in football. Ike hit him hard that's for sure.

Again, I don't even like pat white, but that was just brutal. the gif is still hard to watch. lol

jacobo
03-12-2013, 03:18 PM
I'm not sure what the definition of a "True #1" is anymore. He's not a complete receiver, but there are few in the game who are. I'm not upset the Steelers are losing him, but I'd be really happy if I were a fan of the team getting him.

Just going off my personal definition, a tall, strong, fast receiver with a good vertical, willing to fight for balls, good speed, hands, and runs good routes. If they have most, or all, of those abilities, they're a one. If Jennings comes back from injury well enough he's one, Cruz is another, just in this FA class.

I don't think they're that rare. Atlanta has two, Giants have two, Pats have two (tight ends, but I still count them), Houston, Baltimore, Cincy, Chicago, Detroit, Arizona etc etc etc.

And to the OP, that Ike Taylor hit was pretty hilarious when it happened. Sucks he got hurt, but that's the game.

decaf
03-12-2013, 03:19 PM
Just going off my personal definition, a tall, strong, fast receiver with a good vertical, willing to fight for balls, good speed, hands, and runs good routes. If they have most, or all, of those abilities, they're a one. If Jennings comes back from injury well enough he's one, Cruz is another, just in this FA class.

I don't think they're that rare. Atlanta has two, Giants have two, Pats have two (tight ends, but I still count them), Houston, Baltimore, Cincy, Chicago, Detroit, Arizona etc etc etc.

And to the OP, that Ike Taylor hit was pretty hilarious when it happened. Sucks he got hurt, but that's the game.

I thought he died. Like literally. :chuckle:

decaf
03-12-2013, 03:25 PM

you posted this like 4 hours ago and i'm just now realizing you meant deep passes.
:rofl:

cowherpower
03-12-2013, 03:29 PM
Also a side note:

i agree with athletes getting all they can, but when you have a chance to be a superstar on a top team a few million a year less is worth being able to stay on a top team (you will make way more in endorsements with multiple rings and always being in the playoffs. If your a top ten athlete on a bottom 10 team you will lose more money in endorsements than you will ever make in salary. Same thing in the real world, i will take a little less at my job to be happy where i work rather than to make a little more and be miserable.

Even a superstar on the Steelers isn't getting top endorsement money. It's a small market team regardless of its success. Miami is actually a bigger market for endorsements and 'star' power there is behind only New York, LA, Chicago. Plus...he is going to a team (if Miami) that is on the rise, working towards a SB. Let's not forget that he never got a ring here. The Steelers are destroying their future cap with all these restructurings (yet another today) and signing average players (foote, foster) to extensions. It's getting pretty comical. I can see why Wallace would want out...besides the money.

decaf
03-12-2013, 04:03 PM
Happy new year steelers

SteelersCanada
03-12-2013, 04:05 PM
It's starting to look like we need more Dolphin fans posting on here. They seem to get our humor without the douchey commentary on how much our team sucks. Be as active as you want on here, Decaf.

decaf
03-12-2013, 04:06 PM
It's starting to look like we need more Dolphin fans posting on here. They seem to get our humor without the douchey commentary on how much our team sucks. Be as active as you want on here, Decaf.

I try to keep tabs on all the teams, I have no beef with the steelers (aside from the fumble:flap:)

'preciate it!

harrison'samonster
03-12-2013, 04:08 PM
Happy new year steelers

same to the dolphins. If they end up getting Wallace I hope it works out.

decaf
03-12-2013, 04:10 PM
Ben Volin ‏@BenVolinPBP

RT @InsideNFLMedia: Per Rich Eisen on NFL Network via @AKinkhabwala: WR Mike Wallace is in Miami at the moment

and

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Dolphins and Mike Wallace are negotiating a five-year deal that one source familiar with the talks said is "very, very likely" to get done

Oh boy.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
03-12-2013, 04:12 PM
The only major issue I would worry about if I were a Dolphins fan is that if the team doesn't begin to compete for a title immediately, there is a chance Wallace will start to "take off" plays and only give 50%. Just take a look at the Steelers' last 5 or so games this year.

GMU Steeler
03-12-2013, 04:14 PM
Ben Volin ‏@BenVolinPBP

RT @InsideNFLMedia: Per Rich Eisen on NFL Network via @AKinkhabwala: WR Mike Wallace is in Miami at the moment

and

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Dolphins and Mike Wallace are negotiating a five-year deal that one source familiar with the talks said is "very, very likely" to get done

Oh boy.

That was quick. Anyhow, as for your question, I think my fellow Steelers fans covered it pretty well. He's a great deep threat but he won't make the tough catches and he will take off plays. I do wish you guys luck tho.

pete74
03-12-2013, 04:37 PM
Regardless he will be signed to Miami before today is over. Gurentee it

Pentheon
03-12-2013, 04:39 PM
Done deal from what Im hearing from everyone...

unconfirmed numbers say wallace getting 5 years 65 mil with 30 guaranteed

later wallace :wave:

decaf
03-12-2013, 04:45 PM
Yep. its a done deal. ive heard 13 mil ive heard 11.5 and ive heard 12. so i have to wait and see for the price confirmation. shrug. would not be thrilled at 13.

Im happy about the minimal cap hit this year though.

Dont mean to bump this thread on FA day when you have threads for that. Sorry guys! Good luck !

Cherinko
03-12-2013, 04:49 PM
Steelers fans were in love with Wallace before it became apparent he wasn't returning.

Then they picked up this whole "You can't dump us. We're dumping you." attitude. Some of them started to claim Brown was superior which is just laughable. They claim he's a diva but I've never heard him mouth off one single time. He has never talked down on the Steelers in the media. We're a lesser team without him.

You're going to overpay him. He won't produce 13m/yr worth of plays. You're still getting one of the better WR's in the NFL.

GoFor7
03-12-2013, 04:53 PM
Steelers fans were in love with Wallace before it became apparent he wasn't returning.

Then they picked up this whole "You can't dump us. We're dumping you." attitude. Some of them started to claim Brown was superior which is just laughable. They claim he's a diva but I've never heard him mouth off one single time. He has never talked down on the Steelers in the media. We're a lesser team without him.

You're going to overpay him. He won't produce 13m/yr worth of plays. You're still getting one of the better WR's in the NFL.

Yinzers blindly take the side of the front office, so you shouldn't expect any better.

Did Wallace have a bad attitude? Yeah, he did. You all would too if an OC that never won anything made you nothing more than a decoy in a dink-and-dunk offense that thinks possession is more important than scoring.

Millers the sh!t
03-12-2013, 04:56 PM
If the ball drops perfectly into Wallace's waiting hands, then you'll get an excellent chance at him catching it........let's say about 50/50......and then you may even score. Other than that scenario, I'm not quite sure what else he does. :noidea:

Couldn't have said it better myself. One of the best comments I've read on this site.

Goldsteel86
03-12-2013, 04:59 PM
Good Luck Dolphins, subpar QB, a newly signed WR that admits he takes plays off, possibly losing your stud tackle and Reggie Bush is leaving, Good Luck, Wallace is a burner but he also drops the ball, anyone remember Renaldo Nemeiah (SP), if the Dolphins are looking SB anytime soon, keep wishing. Steelers did the SB run with Wallace, he never showed up, so once again Good Luck!

Millers the sh!t
03-12-2013, 05:00 PM
Yinzers blindly take the side of the front office, so you shouldn't expect any better.

Did Wallace have a bad attitude? Yeah, he did. You all would too if an OC that never won anything made you nothing more than a decoy in a dink-and-dunk offense that thinks possession is more important than scoring.

I've read that Haley planned to start opening up the deep ball then Ben got hurt at that time so it never worked out. Who knows, maybe it was a lie and they wanted Wallace to have a shitty year so on paper maybe other teams would forget or not want to spend a lot on him.

GoFor7
03-12-2013, 05:03 PM
]I've read that Haley planned to start opening up the deep ball then Ben got hurt at that time so it never worked out.[/B] Who knows, maybe it was a lie and they wanted Wallace to have a shitty year so on paper maybe other teams would forget or not want to spend a lot on him.

So why wait to open it up in the first place? That would've been useful in Denver since they spent most of that game dicking around with time of possession.

SteelersCanada
03-12-2013, 05:05 PM

Wallace, too, had a good year despite the deep passing game being reeled in under Haley's watch. Though Wallace claimed a lack of targets was the cause for his apparent loss of focus this year, the numbers indicate that it wasn't targets or involvement that made him have a dip in production from 2011 to 2012.

In the 2011 season, Wallace was thrown to 113 times with 72 receptions for 1,193 yards and eight touchdowns, and he had a 16.6 yards-per-reception average.

In 2012, he was thrown to 119 times despite playing in 15, rather than all 16, regular-season games. He caught only 64 of them, however, and ended the year with 863 yards though with eight touchdowns—the same number of scores from the previous year.

Wallace claimed he wasn't being thrown to as much, especially early in games, but as Bleacher Report's Scott Kacsmar discovered, Wallace's targets were more evenly distributed in 2012 than in his previous seasons.

Wallace may have been disappointed with Haley's lack of downfield play calls, however he was targeted 31 times on passes 20 yards or deeper in 2012, with six receptions, two drops and four touchdowns, compared to just 24 times in 2011. He had 10 catches on those deep balls in the previous season, however, and just one drop, and the catches resulted in five touchdowns.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1474091-todd-haley-leaving-pittsburgh-would-be-bad-news-for-the-steelers

-- Don't let facts get in your way.

decaf
03-12-2013, 05:11 PM
Good Luck Dolphins, subpar QB, a newly signed WR that admits he takes plays off, possibly losing your stud tackle and Reggie Bush is leaving, Good Luck, Wallace is a burner but he also drops the ball, anyone remember Renaldo Nemeiah (SP), if the Dolphins are looking SB anytime soon, keep wishing. Steelers did the SB run with Wallace, he never showed up, so once again Good Luck!

I apologize you have been heavily misinformed about my team :drink:

GoFor7
03-12-2013, 05:13 PM
Wallace, too, had a good year despite the deep passing game being reeled in under Haley's watch. Though Wallace claimed a lack of targets was the cause for his apparent loss of focus this year, the numbers indicate that it wasn't targets or involvement that made him have a dip in production from 2011 to 2012.

In the 2011 season, Wallace was thrown to 113 times with 72 receptions for 1,193 yards and eight touchdowns, and he had a 16.6 yards-per-reception average.

In 2012, he was thrown to 119 times despite playing in 15, rather than all 16, regular-season games. He caught only 64 of them, however, and ended the year with 863 yards though with eight touchdowns—the same number of scores from the previous year.

Wallace claimed he wasn't being thrown to as much, especially early in games, but as Bleacher Report's Scott Kacsmar discovered, Wallace's targets were more evenly distributed in 2012 than in his previous seasons.

Wallace may have been disappointed with Haley's lack of downfield play calls, however he was targeted 31 times on passes 20 yards or deeper in 2012, with six receptions, two drops and four touchdowns, compared to just 24 times in 2011. He had 10 catches on those deep balls in the previous season, however, and just one drop, and the catches resulted in five touchdowns.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1474091-todd-haley-leaving-pittsburgh-would-be-bad-news-for-the-steelers

-- Don't let facts get in your way.

How many times were those in two minute situations? That was the only bright spot on this offense, because Ben ran things, not Artie's pet. Most of the game they spent dicking around trying to grind out long possessions instead of putting up points.

Unless you're talking about baseball, stats are nothing without substance. Some of yinz fail to understand that.

MACH1
03-12-2013, 05:13 PM

I didn't see Haley out there dropping all those passes.

NSMaster56
03-12-2013, 05:14 PM
Although offtopic

I disagree obviously because I'm a fan and I know my team, lol. No lower half team is 1 player away from contending.

Sorry, meant 'legitimately' contending.

We all know that the Pats should have been de-throned at least 3 years ago, it's just that the Bills and Jets are too inept to have done so. The Dolphins were always looming, but a QB away.

With Wallace Miami would be better and a potential playoff team, but likely playoff fodder (a poorer man's version of the Bengals).

SteelersCanada
03-12-2013, 05:18 PM
How many times were those in two minute situations? That was the only bright spot on this offense, because Ben ran things, not Artie's pet. Most of the game they spent dicking around trying to grind out long possessions instead of putting up points.

Unless you're talking about baseball, stats are nothing without substance. Some of yinz fail to understand that.

You're losing credibility every time you post for two glaring reasons: 1) referring to the fanbase as "yinz" and 2) excusing Wallace when every single statistic coming out of 2012 shows he was overpaid.

It doesn't matter how many of those times Ben was running the two minute as, again, he was targeted more times 20+ yards down the field in 2012. Despite this, he failed to record more yardage and touchdowns than he had the previous year. Somehow garnering less yardage on more "deep ball" attempts defies all logic, but Wallace achieved it.

Again, it doesn't matter if Ben or Haley were calling the shots as Wallace was targeted more on deep balls and got less yardage. How does that happen?

Goldsteel86
03-12-2013, 05:18 PM
I apologize you have been heavily misinformed about my team :drink:

Please tell me how so, Jake Long is visiting the Rams, Reggie Bush is being highly coveted by the Lions and Tannehill has yet to prove anything. Now the Dolphins have re-signed Hartline but other than that your star CB is looking to move elsewhere. Tannehill is not Big Ben, he still has yet to prove his worth, Wallace is and has been a "prima dona" since his speed has been known. Take a look at the last year and his drops, adding Wallace doesn't mean the Dolphins are an immediate contender, it just surely means more ticket sales, once again I am not trying to hate, congrats to the Dolphins but Wallace is a piece of the puzzle but not the answer for your SB contention, that may happen when Brady becomes a FA or retires, which isn't happening anytime soon.

NSMaster56
03-12-2013, 05:19 PM
The only major issue I would worry about if I were a Dolphins fan is that if the team doesn't begin to compete for a title immediately, there is a chance Wallace will start to "take off" plays and only give 50%. Just take a look at the Steelers' last 5 or so games this year.

Yup. This is pretty much the biggest cause for concern for any team that signs him.

The other being that without a '#2 option' Wallace could be double-covered and rendered ineffective moreso than poor Larry Fitz.

A.J. Green and Megatron can survive being the only legit option for a team, but Wallace is not THAT type of WR.

If he goes to MIA then they will need complimentary players at RB, TE and WR to bring out the best abilities of Wallace.

MACH1
03-12-2013, 05:21 PM
You're losing credibility every time you post for two glaring reasons: 1) referring to the fanbase as "yinz" and 2) excusing Wallace when every single statistic coming out of 2012 shows he was overpaid.

It doesn't matter how many of those times Ben was running the two minute as, again, he was targeted more times 20+ yards down the field in 2012. Despite this, he failed to record more yardage and touchdowns than he had the previous year. Somehow garnering less yardage on more "deep ball" attempts defies all logic, but Wallace achieved it.

Again, it doesn't matter if Ben or Haley were calling the shots as Wallace was targeted more on deep balls and got less yardage. How does that happen?

But it works in madden. :chuckle:

decaf
03-12-2013, 05:26 PM
Please tell me how so, Jake Long is visiting the Rams, Reggie Bush is being highly coveted by the Lions and Tannehill has yet to prove anything. Now the Dolphins have re-signed Hartline but other than that your star CB is looking to move elsewhere. Tannehill is not Big Ben, he still has yet to prove his worth, Wallace is and has been a "prima dona" since his speed has been known. Take a look at the last year and his drops, adding Wallace doesn't mean the Dolphins are an immediate contender, it just surely means more ticket sales, once again I am not trying to hate, congrats to the Dolphins but Wallace is a piece of the puzzle but not the answer for your SB contention, that may happen when Brady becomes a FA or retires, which isn't happening anytime soon.

1. Jake long please leave. No longer in his prime, someone will over pay for him worse than us for Wallace. :wave:

2. Reggie bush please leave. Your breakaway runs are nice, but not when it takes 6 negative runs before you do it. We have better depth behind him. he is another ":wave:"

3. Sean Smith please leave. Such trash, He couldn't catch lint with velcro gloves . Again someone will SEVERELY over pay for this guy and be very upset. :banging:

You act as if we want ANY of these people to stay. I would not mind if long stayed, but he is used goods. bittersweet, but we will better off without them.

3. Tannehill has proved A LOT. and is severely unerrated. His stats reflect the flat WR core, not his play. His deep ball is disgustingly good by the way.

No one in this thread has even slightly hinted anyone will be a contender just for signing Mike Wallace, I didn't.

decaf
03-12-2013, 05:27 PM
Sorry, meant 'legitimately' contending.

We all know that the Pats should have been de-throned at least 3 years ago, it's just that the Bills and Jets are too inept to have done so. The Dolphins were always looming, but a QB away.

With Wallace Miami would be better and a potential playoff team, but likely playoff fodder (a poorer man's version of the Bengals).

Very well said!:drink:

FrancoLambert
03-12-2013, 05:27 PM

He followed it up with this tweet:
"It's getting harder to hold onto the rock in a big spot, I gots to coupe with that too."

GoFor7
03-12-2013, 05:36 PM

Stats stats stats stats stats stats stats. That's really all it comes down to for some of you, doesn't it (well except when someone points out how many turnovers the defense forces)?

Anyone using their eyes knows Wallace was underutilized in this offense. He's a deep route WR, not a dink-and-dunk possession receiver. Did he have some bad drops? Yeah he did. But he also had plenty of TDs - you know, points. Those numbers next to "time of possession" on the stat sheet don't win you anything. There were 26 other WRs in the NFL that had more drops than he did. Overall, I'd say the good outweighed the bad with Wallace.

And I really could care less if I "lose credibility" with you. Most of you act like 5-year olds when someone dares to point out the Steelers will be worse off without Wallace, or that the front office has in fact screwed up multiple times over the last few years. Most of you just want to blame the QB and act as if the journeyman OC is more important. So yeah, when some of you act that dumb, don't expect any better.

tony hipchest
03-12-2013, 05:38 PM
congrats dolphin fan. :tt02:

i got a #17 mike wallace 2013 dolphins alternate jersey i will sell you. its black and gold in color.

$39.95 today only...

Goldsteel86
03-12-2013, 05:38 PM
1. Jake long please leave. No longer in his prime, someone will over pay for him worse than us for Wallace. :wave:

2. Reggie bush please leave. Your breakaway runs are nice, but not when it takes 6 negative runs before you do it. We have better depth behind him. he is another ":wave:"

3. Sean Smith please leave. Such trash, He couldn't catch lint with velcro gloves . Again someone will SEVERELY over pay for this guy and be very upset. :banging:

You act as if we want ANY of these people to stay. I would not mind if long stayed, but he is used goods. bittersweet, but we will better off without them.

3. Tannehill has proved A LOT. and is severely unerrated. His stats reflect the flat WR core, not his play. His deep ball is disgustingly good by the way.

No one in this thread has even slightly hinted anyone will be a contender just for signing Mike Wallace, I didn't.

All right, Tannehill was so good that he led his team to the playoffs as a rookie QB like say Andrew Luck (Marginal WR's), RG III (Sub-Par WR's) and Wilson in Seattle (Tell me where the amazing WR are there), fact of the matter is this, good for you, you have the "One Trick Pony" you feel you need. Once again, congrats, but come back here at the end of next season and tell me how it works for you. It has been made common knowledge the GM for the Dolphins has been put on notice, get it done or get on to another job. Again, congrats you got Wallace, I think that you have bigger problems than Wallace, he is a good addition but the Dolphins are still fodder.

tony hipchest
03-12-2013, 05:40 PM
Stats stats stats stats stats stats stats. That's really all it comes down to for some of you, doesn't it (well except when someone points out how many turnovers the defense forces)?

Anyone using their eyes knows Wallace was underutilized in this offense. He's a deep route WR, not a dink-and-dunk possession receiver. Did he have some bad drops? Yeah he did. But he also had plenty of TDs - you know, points. Those numbers next to "time of possession" on the stat sheet don't win you anything. There were 26 other WRs in the NFL that had more drops than he did. Overall, I'd say the good outweighed the bad with Wallace.

And I really could care less if I "lose credibility" with you. Most of you act like 5-year olds when someone dares to point out the Steelers will be worse off without Wallace, or that the front office has in fact screwed up multiple times over the last few years. Most of you just want to blame the QB and act as if the journeyman OC is more important. So yeah, when some of you act that dumb, don't expect any better.arent you the same guy who said the steelers would be worse w/o plex burress and santurdio holmes?

we were 8-8 last year with wallace. i doubt we will be worse than that in 2013.

GoFor7
03-12-2013, 05:43 PM
arent you the same guy who said the steelers would be worse w/o plex burress and santurdio holmes?

No, because then they had good players behind them. Not this time.

we were 8-8 last year with wallace. i doubt we will be worse than that in 2013.

Yes, they very much could be. He wouldn't be the only reason, but he'd be a big part of it.

decaf
03-12-2013, 05:46 PM
All right, Tannehill was so good that he led his team to the playoffs as a rookie QB like say Andrew Luck (Marginal WR's), RG III (Sub-Par WR's) and Wilson in Seattle (Tell me where the amazing WR are there), fact of the matter is this, good for you, you have the "One Trick Pony" you feel you need. Once again, congrats, but come back here at the end of next season and tell me how it works for you. It has been made common knowledge the GM for the Dolphins has been put on notice, get it done or get on to another job. Again, congrats you got Wallace, I think that you have bigger problems than Wallace, he is a good addition but the Dolphins are still fodder.

Hmmm... I really don't see the sense in arguing or defending myself. You stated my team would be worse off because of those 3 FAs you listed walking, when in reality - we want them to leave and will be better without them. I don't pretend to know about your team:noidea: Relevant? Maybe. Playoffs? Possible... Fodder? No. See Bills, Jets.

One trick pony, the one trick we did not have :) Hope it works out as well. thanks for the congrats.

decaf
03-12-2013, 05:47 PM
congrats dolphin fan. :tt02:

i got a #17 mike wallace 2013 dolphins alternate jersey i will sell you. its black and gold in color.

$39.95 today only...

rofl

steelfury02
03-12-2013, 05:48 PM

And I really could care less if I "lose credibility" with you. Most of you act like 5-year olds when someone dares to point out the Steelers will be worse off without Wallace, or that the front office has in fact screwed up multiple times over the last few years. Most of you just want to blame the QB and act as if the journeyman OC is more important. So yeah, when some of you act that dumb, don't expect any better.

I've got one SB MVP who we let go for a 5th round pick that says most fans will move on quite easily from Mr. First Half of the Season TDs.

You want to point out stats aren't that important - that's fair. I'll give you an intangible - he vanishes when the Steelers needed a 3rd down conversion or against great secondaries and overall is non-existent when playoff hopes are on the line. There's a reason he was underutilized - there's two other guys that Ben goes to in the clutch named Miller and Brown - sorry if he wasn't valuable enough to be relied on when the going got tough.

SteelersCanada
03-12-2013, 05:57 PM
I've got one SB MVP who we let go for a 5th round pick that says most fans will move on quite easily from Mr. First Half of the Season TDs.

You want to point out stats aren't that important - that's fair. I'll give you an intangible - he vanishes when the Steelers needed a 3rd down conversion or against great secondaries and overall is non-existent when playoff hopes are on the line. There's a reason he was underutilized - there's two other guys that Ben goes to in the clutch named Miller and Brown - sorry if he wasn't valuable enough to be relied on when the going got tough.

Don't you realize we're all apart of "yinz nation" and can't see the top tier talent we have in Mike Wallace? We're all too stupid and uneducated to realize that this team needs Mike Wallace to succeed and we're going to die without him. Prepare yourselves for a 3 - 13 season because he's gone.

jacobo
03-12-2013, 05:57 PM
It doesn't matter if he was underutilized, his ceiling is only so high. He needs to work on so many things to become a great wideout, and even then he won't be at the level he thinks he's at because of his body. Not to mention his intangibles are awful at this point, and judging from his attitude in the past, that won't magically get better, especially on a young team where HE'S making the big bucks.

GoFor7
03-12-2013, 05:59 PM

I never claimed Wallace was without faults, but the good outweighed the bad with him. We'll see what happens in the draft. Personally, I think they should go for the skill positions on offense (WR, TE, RB) rather than defense.

Yes, that might leave the defense looking weak. But would it be any worse than New England's defense? Any worse than even Baltimore's defense?

F Steelers football. Score points, go up tempo, embrace the modern NFL. That'll make up for a lesser defense. If anything, last year's playoffs should have been an indication.

And Brown was clutch? lolz.

TRH
03-12-2013, 06:00 PM
[QUOTE=GoFor7;1091288]I never claimed Wallace was without faults, but the good outweighed the bad with him. We'll see what happens in the draft. Personally, I think they should go for the skill positions on offense (WR, TE, RB) rather than defense.

QUOTE]

not $65 million dollars worth.

cowherpower
03-12-2013, 06:01 PM
wow, Jeff Ireland went full retard and gave him $65 million over 5 years. That is ridiculous. Way overpaid, Ireland is desperate to keep his job and will do anything to make fans forget how bad he has been for so many years. Also probably got played by Wallace agent like he got played by Flynn, Peyton last year.

decaf
03-12-2013, 06:07 PM
wow, Jeff Ireland went full retard and gave him $65 million over 5 years. That is ridiculous. Way overpaid, Ireland is desperate to keep his job and will do anything to make fans forget how bad he has been for so many years. Also probably got played by Wallace agent like he got played by Flynn, Peyton last year.

Peyton was never even an option for us

We chose to not sign Flynn, look how well he did at the team that did sign him (derp)

You always overpay in FA. You guys offered Mike 10, we gave him 13. Overpaying? Yep. Worth 65/5? Nah prolly not. Gunna break our bank? lol nope

Lady Steel
03-12-2013, 06:08 PM
Yay, another Mike Wallace thread. Because the other 517,042 threads just weren't informative enough. :laughing:

decaf
03-12-2013, 06:11 PM
Yay, another Mike Wallace thread. Because the other 517,042 threads just weren't informative enough. :laughing:

Peeked at some, they were mostly discussing your team itself as opposed to raw data i was trying to obtain at the last minute from fans POV.

Sorry to bother

GoFor7
03-12-2013, 06:14 PM
not $65 million dollars worth.

But to act like the team will be better without him or not a suitable replacement out of the draft is silliness.

steelfury02
03-12-2013, 06:15 PM
I never claimed Wallace was without faults, but the good outweighed the bad with him. We'll see what happens in the draft. Personally, I think they should go for the skill positions on offense (WR, TE, RB) rather than defense.

Yes, that might leave the defense looking weak. But would it be any worse than New England's defense? Any worse than even Baltimore's defense?

F Steelers football. Score points, go up tempo, embrace the modern NFL. That'll make up for a lesser defense. If anything, last year's playoffs should have been an indication.

And Brown was clutch? lolz.

I can only compare Steelers receivers to other Steelers receivers - so yea, compared to Wallace, Brown is clutch and overall has contributed more to advancing the teams chances - Brown is here and is generally more well liked for a reason.

Mr. Business Decision is about to make his press conference in Miami - good for him. Next time he'll be putting on black and silver -bank on it.

Lady Steel
03-12-2013, 06:15 PM
Peeked at some, they were mostly discussing your team itself as opposed to raw data i was trying to obtain at the last minute from fans POV.

Sorry to bother

Don't be sorry. I was just razzin' ya. I have a thing about the kazillionbillion Mike Wallace threads. :laughing:

Welcome to Steelers Fever. :smile:

steelfury02
03-12-2013, 06:18 PM
But to act like the team will be better without him or not a suitable replacement out of the draft is silliness.

we won a SB with Washington and Cedric Wilson - we don't need Wallace and will not be worse off without him - I am over it

cowherpower
03-12-2013, 06:20 PM
Peyton was never even an option for us

We chose to not sign Flynn, look how well he did at the team that did sign him (derp)

You always overpay in FA. You guys offered Mike 10, we gave him 13. Overpaying? Yep. Worth 65/5? Nah prolly not. Gunna break our bank? lol nope

I follow the Dolphins on FinHeaven forums. My buddy is a fan, your team has tried several time to court coaches (Harbaugh, Fisher) and players (yes Peyton, yes Flynn, saying no is revisionist history) and yes 13 million per WILL catch up to you. If you are bottom feeders you may HAVE to overpay for FA, but maybe that is why you remain bottom feeders. That said, you did need to get Wallace. It's okay to overspend on great players, it's overspending on bad ones that really get you killed. Or passing on Brees for Culpepper...Ryan for Long...I'm just busting your chops!!

decaf
03-12-2013, 06:23 PM
I follow the Dolphins on FinHeaven forums. My buddy is a fan, your team has tried several time to court coaches (Harbaugh, Fisher) and players (yes Peyton, yes Flynn, saying no is revisionist history) and yes 13 million per WILL catch up to you. If you are bottom feeders you may HAVE to overpay for FA, but maybe that is why you remain bottom feeders. That said, you did need to get Wallace. It's okay to overspend on great players, it's overspending on bad ones that really get you killed. Or passing on Brees for Culpepper...Ryan for Long...I'm just busting your chops!!

oh godddddddd FML :crying01:

pete74
03-12-2013, 06:32 PM
Yea but who passed on Marino. I had to bring that up because he is my favorite player of all time and Istill regret not ggetting him

decaf
03-12-2013, 06:33 PM
Yea but who passed on Marino. I had to bring that up because he is my favorite player of all time and Istill regret not ggetting him

:applaudit:

Blacksburg Zach
03-12-2013, 06:44 PM

Yep, and passing on Marino led to years of mediocre to bad quarterback play by the likes of Cliff Stoudt, Mark Malone, Bubby Brister, Neil O' Donnell, Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart, and one solid year by Tommy Maddox for the next two decades. Passing on Marino was a huge mistake on the Steelers' part.

cowherpower
03-12-2013, 06:46 PM

The Steelers, along with all the other teams really did drop the ball on that one. Losing out on Marino and all those SB wins...oh wait :toofunny:

Fire Haley
03-12-2013, 06:48 PM

just like I predicted

Blacksburg Zach
03-12-2013, 06:50 PM
The Steelers, along with all the other teams really did drop the ball on that one. Losing out on Marino and all those SB wins...oh wait :toofunny:

Yeah, how did the dolphins not win a Super Bowl when they had that elite running back and that stingy defense to take some pressure off their star quarterback... Oh wait.

decaf
03-12-2013, 06:51 PM
just like I predicted

Tannehill must be pretty tall

SteelersCanada
The other positive of him leaving: he didn't go to Cincinnati or Cleveland.

cowherpower
Yep, and passing on Marino led to years of mediocre to bad quarterback play by the likes of Cliff Stoudt, Mark Malone, Bubby Brister, Neil O' Donnell, Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart, and one solid year by Tommy Maddox for the next two decades. Passing on Marino was a huge mistake on the Steelers' part.

and all those QBs led us to as many SB appearances, and SB wins as he did for them. But I am not going to pretend him playing for the Steelers wouldn't have made me happy. I too, like every Dolphin fan would have had his jersey, his poster. And maybe things could have happened differently here for all those years. He was imho the best passer who ever played. Truly one of the greatest shows to watch. I did enjoy watching him beat the Pats all those years as I am from Mass and hate them.

cowherpower
03-12-2013, 06:53 PM
Yeah, how did the dolphins not win a Super Bowl when they had that elite running back and that stingy defense to take some pressure off their star quarterback... Oh wait.

I hear that Marino wouldn't let them run when he felt that he could do better with the balls in his hands. Can't say that I disagree with that. Still weird how they couldn't get back there though with that offense. How Shula never got the D in order is beyond me.

NSMaster56
03-12-2013, 10:19 PM
The other positive of him leaving: he didn't go to Cincinnati or Cleveland.

*nodding*

maddog78
03-12-2013, 10:52 PM
You won't get a guy that's willing to fight for the ball in traffic, but you'll get a lot of yards and TDs.

maddog78
03-12-2013, 10:54 PM
and all those QBs led us to as many SB appearances, and SB wins as he did for them. But I am not going to pretend him playing for the Steelers wouldn't have made me happy. I too, like every Dolphin fan would have had his jersey, his poster. And maybe things could have happened differently here for all those years. He was imho the best passer who ever played. Truly one of the greatest shows to watch. I did enjoy watching him beat the Pats all those years as I am from Mass and hate them.

Oh stop. Marino in Pittsburgh means 3-4 more trophies. The only thing the Steelers were lacking in the 80s and early 90s was a franchise QB.

cowherpower
03-12-2013, 11:23 PM
Oh stop. Marino in Pittsburgh means 3-4 more trophies. The only thing the Steelers were lacking in the 80s and early 90s was a franchise QB.

First off, read the post, it clearly states I would have loved having him. BUT, having Marino might have meant we couldn't afford some players that made us better in other areas. I am sure in 84 the Dolphins thought they'd be back to win '3-4' trophies. It doesn't work that way. Elway, Marino, Bledsoe, Esiason, Vick, the list goes on and on of franchises who thought that that one QB would get them rings. Took Elway to be just another guy until he won and when you have guys like Peyton, Marino, Brees taking up so much salary that makes it harder to have a well balanced team. Hence the failure of teams to go back to back (Cheatriots excluded) as it all has to be timed right.

Just look at Flacco and how after his signing they are going through massive turnover. Both from retirement and FA losses. It happens to all successful teams but even worse for teams like Colts w/Peyton and now Flacco due to their QB high salaries.

So if we had Marino, we don't draft Woodson because we would have been too good to pick that high. No Woodson means maybe no Lake and how good that secondary was as they made each other better. Having Marino would have changed everything about those years up to and including Cowher. Would Cowher have ever happened?

So to say we would have had rings is just nonsense, how could anyone know that?

TheVet
03-13-2013, 01:05 AM
Hey decaf, great thread and you're always welcome here. In fact, come back during the season, because Mike Wallace is always a fun topic, and we can't get enough of it here. There will be great moments and bad moments, it will be fun!!!

Bane
03-13-2013, 01:19 AM
Hey decaf, great thread and you're always welcome here. In fact, come back during the season, because Mike Wallace is always a fun topic, and we can't get enough of it here. There will be great moments and bad moments, it will be fun!!!

It's nice to get a poster that's a fan of another team that isn't here to troll.

Atlanta Dan
03-13-2013, 12:03 PM
Don Banks at SI.com says the Dolphins overpaid

Miami desperately needed playmakers for quarterback Ryan Tannenhill, so Mike Wallace made sense for the Dolphins from day one. But just because Wallace got paid like a top-three receiver (a reported five years at $13 million average) doesn't mean he is one. Wallace behind only Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald when it comes to the highest-paid receivers? That's free agency for you. Someone has to get all that money. I can think of at least 10 receivers who I'd rather have, but that's not the way this game works. If you're sitting on the lucky chair when your number is called, some team will drop the cash on you.

Wallace will help the Dolphins. He can't really avoid it. But he's also inconsistent in terms of effort, and was sometimes taken out of games by defenders when the Steelers needed him most. The free agency system worked well for him, and he is the kind of young, in-his-prime player that teams should be seeking to sign in March. But Wallace is still not a week-in, week-out game-changing talent like the two receivers he's now linked with by salary. Maybe he'll become that in Miami.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130312/don-banks-snap-judgments/?sct=hp_t11_a6&eref=sihp

Peter King agrees the Dolphins overpaid but still likes the deal

I hate Mike Wallace in Miami at $13 million a year.

I love Mike Wallace in Miami.

So I like the deal....

There are no guarantees in free agency. Never are. And time will prove Miami most likely overpaid for a very good, but not great player. But the Dolphins are better today on offense than they were yesterday, and they'll be a lot better if Tannehill and Wallace quickly get on the same page when offseason workouts begin April 15.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130312/peter-king-free-agency/?sct=uk_t11_a6

Congrats to Wallace and his agent for playing the fre agency game so well - I would feel worse about this if Wallace left only because the Steelers had salary cap issues - at this price the Steelers never would have signed Wallace regardless of available cap space

OX1947
03-13-2013, 12:11 PM
Wallace will be in Miami for 2 years and get cut when he collects his 30 mil guaranteed. Wallace is a malcontent, selfish, locker room and team troll. He isn't cancer, but he doesn't or didnt do shit to make things better with his Randy Moss impression the last year and a half. He quit in Pittsburgh, and he will defiantly quit when Tannehill isn't throwing him the ball in the perfect spot because he cant run a route with any conviction.

LVSteelersfan
03-13-2013, 12:46 PM
You will get the occasional splash plays maybe every other game where he breaks loose for a long one. He is not a good blocker. He has no ability to fight for the ball in traffic. He is not a red zone threat. He is basically a #2 WR that your team is spending #1 money on. Good for Mike. Bad for the Dolphins. And I would bet dollars to doughnuts that Wallace is there for the money foremost and could care less about putting up the kind of stats that the money is calling for. Thank you Wallace for past years (not last year, you STUNK) but don't let the door hit you in the A $ $ on the way out.

LVSteelersfan
03-13-2013, 01:01 PM
Again, I don't even like pat white, but that was just brutal. the gif is still hard to watch. lol

This is why the Steelers are constantly in the playoffs and woosy teams like the Dolphins never make it. You have to be tough and smart in the NFL. The Dolphins have been neither from the front office to the coaching to the players. Maybe that will change now. But I doubt it. The Patriots will still rule the roost, the AFC North (the tough teams) will still get 3 teams in the playoffs and the rest of the AFC East will be sub .500 teams. I don't see that changing just because the Dolphins got Wallace.

Fire Haley
03-13-2013, 01:04 PM
Fuck the Pats

I hope the Fins win the division and Wallace has a monster year.

I'll take that 3rd rd comp pick next year

LVSteelersfan
03-13-2013, 02:34 PM
Fuck the Pats

I hope the Fins win the division and Wallace has a monster year.

I'll take that 3rd rd comp pick next year

I hope you're right. But I don't think the Fins are the ones to do it. But I could be wrong.

SteelersCanada
03-13-2013, 02:37 PM
The 'Fins aren't going to knock the Pats off their perch in the AFC East. The Patriots are only getting better on defense and they still have Tom Brady. It doesn't matter who his receivers are (having Hernandez and Gronk helps, though) as he's still Tom Brady. And, oh ya, they'll probably end up with Tavon Austin and/or DeAndre Hopkins this year.

The AFC East is still the Patriots' division.

austinfrench76
03-13-2013, 04:29 PM
The post above hits it on the head. He can't help but make them better but not at that price would I want him and he isn't a game changer the way that money suggest.

zcoop
03-13-2013, 06:25 PM
MIami Fan,

You've got a top 5 WR in Mike. All you have to do is look at the numbers, they speak for him. As long as your QB can deliver you will get dividends from your aquisition of Wallace. Prior to last season's holdout in contract negotiations, he was a darling in Pitt. But some folks don't like WRs in Pitt who try to get paid. Most sensible folks knows that he earned every penny of his salary during the 4 years in Pitt. Many receivers getting paid more, produced far less that he did in that period.

Don't believe some of the BS you read on this board or from some anti-Wallace talking heads. Again, look at the numbers. I wish Mike and your team well until they meet us.

Hawaii 5-0
03-13-2013, 06:48 PM
so let me get this straight...

Mike Wallace is worth more than Anquan Boldin and Wes Welker put together? :noidea:

TheVet
03-13-2013, 06:51 PM
MIami Fan,

You've got a top 5 WR in Mike. All you have to do is look at the numbers, they speak for him. As long as your QB can deliver you will get dividends from your aquisition of Wallace. Prior to last season's holdout in contract negotiations, he was a darling in Pitt. But some folks don't like WRs in Pitt who try to get paid. Most sensible folks knows that he earned every penny of his salary during the 4 years in Pitt. Many receivers getting paid more, produced far less that he did in that period.

Don't believe some of the BS you read on this board or from some anti-Wallace talking heads. Again, look at the numbers. I wish Mike and your team well until they meet us.

He's good, but nowhere near top 5. Every top 5 receiver is a much more complete receiver than Wallace.

Also, remember that the second half of his 2011 season was pretty bad. So he lost a lot of support from fans before his holdout. You could look it up - on these forums.

zcoop
03-13-2013, 06:55 PM
Actually, the second half of his 2011 season was pretty bad also. So he lost a lot of fans even before his holdout.

He and AB made the Pro Bowl that year, right? I also recall Ben being injured (out a few and playing gimpy in others). Don't do that shit man.

zcoop
03-13-2013, 06:56 PM
so let me get this straight...

Mike Wallace is worth more than Anquan Boldin and Wes Welker put together? :noidea:

They just like us are worth what the employer is willing to pay.:tt03:

zcoop
03-13-2013, 06:57 PM
He's good, but nowhere near top 5. Every top 5 receiver is a much more complete receiver than Wallace.

Also, remember that the second half of his 2011 season was pretty bad. So he lost a lot of support from fans before his holdout. You could look it up - on these forums.

That's your opinion.

TheVet
03-13-2013, 08:40 PM

He and AB made the Pro Bowl that year, right? I also recall Ben being injured (out a few and playing gimpy in others). Don't do that shit man.

What are you talking about? :noidea:

You weren't aware of his 2nd half decline in 2011?

Bayz101
03-13-2013, 08:48 PM
Wallace's decline in 2011 began before Ben's injury. He made it to the Pro Bowl based on what he did before the season actually got interesting. Good for him.

zcoop
03-13-2013, 08:51 PM
What are you talking about? :noidea:

You weren't aware of his 2nd half decline in 2011?

He made the Pro Bowl that year. The entire offense dropped off as I recall, we even lost to Tebow and Denver in the Playoffs. Don't single one guy's stats out to lay blame for a decline in the team's effort. Yes, I was aware of the Team's decline. Were you? :noidea:

jacobo
03-13-2013, 09:01 PM
Wallace was also constantly doubled the second half of that season and wasn't ready for it. Thus Brown had such a great stretch run

TheVet
03-13-2013, 09:36 PM
He made the Pro Bowl that year. The entire offense dropped off as I recall, we even lost to Tebow and Denver in the Playoffs. Don't single one guy's stats out to lay blame for a decline in the team's effort. Yes, I was aware of the Team's decline. Were you? :noidea:

Specifically, we were discussing Wallace's decline. Since you're a Wallace fan (as I am), I'm frankly amazed that you didn't notice it. It was a pretty sharp drop-off, and not just in the stats. To me, it showed up most clearly in lazier route-running.

By the way, was anyone talking about stats? And was anyone blaming Wallace for a decline in the team's effort?

zcoop
03-13-2013, 10:25 PM
Specifically, we were discussing Wallace's decline. Since you're a Wallace fan (as I am), I'm frankly amazed that you didn't notice it. It was a pretty sharp drop-off, and not just in the stats. To me, it showed up most clearly in lazier route-running.

By the way, was anyone talking about stats? And was anyone blaming Wallace for a decline in the team's effort?

Hey man, I'm a Wallace and a Steeler Fan (Since 1972), so I notice things about players but I also pick up when the team has issues as well. I'm old school and believe in the team concept and that everything depends on the other. Line block for RB/QB, QB throw to WR/TE, and WR/TE catch it. Then we have the overall scheme to match the personnel. I try to pick up on all of that shit.

My approach maybe different but I try to be consistent in my critique of players and the FO. Just the way I am.

ETL
03-14-2013, 12:15 AM
Yancey Thigpen

Steeldude
03-14-2013, 03:21 AM

Wallace has great speed. His fundamentals are poor. His hands are poor also. He usually does an ok job of catching passes over his shoulder, but don't ask him to snatch passes out of the air with his hands. His field awareness is too swift. As for effort, he tries when he feels like it. He will not fight for passes. He is basically a one-trick pony.

I am happy that Wallace left. I'm sorry to say, buy the Dolphins paid him way too much

wwhickok
03-14-2013, 08:22 AM
What you get is a #1 Receiver and a little bit of a diva. There is some risk involved with the size of the contract but thats the nature of this business.

Fire Haley
03-14-2013, 12:54 PM
for all you Fins fans...

Mike Wallace's five-year, $60 million contract includes an $11 million signing bonus and $37.85 million over the first three seasons.

Breaking down Mike Wallace's $60 million deal: $11 million bonus, $27 million in first two years

http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=2&cid=1274519&nid=6824026&fhn=1

LVSteelersfan
03-14-2013, 01:13 PM
What you get is a #1 Receiver and a little bit of a diva. There is some risk involved with the size of the contract but thats the nature of this business.

Sorry, no way that Wallace is a #1 receiver. He was only #1 in Pittsburgh because they did not have a true #1. A true #1 is a red zone threat. A true #1 fights for balls in traffic. A true #1 works on his route running until it is impeccable. Sorry, but the only thing he has going for him is speed. Speed is great. You can't teach speed. But it is not the be all end all. A player needs to be well rounded and be able to do more than fly routes.

wwhickok
03-14-2013, 01:33 PM
Sorry, no way that Wallace is a #1 receiver. He was only #1 in Pittsburgh because they did not have a true #1. A true #1 is a red zone threat. A true #1 fights for balls in traffic. A true #1 works on his route running until it is impeccable. Sorry, but the only thing he has going for him is speed. Speed is great. You can't teach speed. But it is not the be all end all. A player needs to be well rounded and be able to do more than fly routes.

Remember you said that when the season starts. You could be right, I just dont think you are.

pete74
03-14-2013, 02:07 PM

You weren't saying this his first three years when he was catching more touchdowns then any Steeler or almost any player for that matter ever. Wallace is awesome and one of the best deep threats. He is only great at going deep but that's what everyone wants him for. He had a bad year last year but still led our WR's.
I can't say he sucks like some people just because he left for a huge contract. If someone offered me 5 million more a year I would go anywhere

SteelersCanada
03-14-2013, 03:03 PM

You just listed off three different kinds of receiver. I can only honestly think of two guys that fit this billing right now and one of them is Megatron. The other one is probably Brandon Marshall, and only because he has a semi-decent Quarterback throwing to him. I'd say Larry Fitzgerald too, but that whole situation is beyond fucked up in Arizona.

There's two guys that fit that billing. There's more than just two legitimate number one receivers in the NFL right now. Guys like Welker were considered a number one receiver on the Patriots and he realistically only fits one of the above three criteria you listed off. While I agree that it would be best for a receiver to hit on all 3, we have a number one receiver in Brown that has great route running and does catch balls in traffic. Just because he isn't a 6'4 208+ lbs RZT doesn't mean he's not a number one guy.

Just my take on it.