PDA

View Full Version : Any chance Steelers go after Heyward-Bey?

Steelers-Devs
03-12-2013, 08:43 PM
Just like Wallace and a lot less money.

I've always liked him since he entered the league, so what are the chances?

pete74
03-12-2013, 08:44 PM
Wallace is much better

jacobo
03-12-2013, 08:45 PM
I'd rather us draft a potential stud

ZoneBlitzer
03-12-2013, 08:49 PM
It's free agency, Steelers rarely get involved in impactful acquisitions. They usually lose players that they waste labor and money developing like they did today.

Sharkissle29
03-12-2013, 09:00 PM
This is one I would actually like the Steelers to try and go after...

Fire Haley
03-12-2013, 09:01 PM
why?

Raiders give up on bust Darrius Heyward-Bey

Widely panned as a stretch when the Raiders took him seventh overall in the 2009 draft, Heyward-Bey proved the pundits right.

Showing stones for hands and an inability to run anything besides a vertical route, he recorded a grand total of 11 touchdowns and averaged 37.8 yards per game in four seasons.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/257767/dolphins-nab-lb-wheeler-for-five-years-$26m

btaylor179
03-12-2013, 09:22 PM
yay we signed plax........worse off season ever

Sharkissle29
03-12-2013, 09:24 PM
why?

Raiders give up on bust Darrius Heyward-Bey

Widely panned as a stretch when the Raiders took him seventh overall in the 2009 draft, Heyward-Bey proved the pundits right.

Showing stones for hands and an inability to run anything besides a vertical route, he recorded a grand total of 11 touchdowns and averaged 37.8 yards per game in four seasons.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/257767/dolphins-nab-lb-wheeler-for-five-years-$26m

You basically just described Mike Wallace. I would give him a shot, he was playing for the Raiders, no one ever works out there...

PhantomJB93
03-12-2013, 09:27 PM
I'd take Heyward-Bey in a second if he signed really really cheap, which isn't out of the question. He may not be as good as Wallace but he would do much better here than he ever did in Oakland. Plus he has size in addition to his speed.

fer522
03-12-2013, 09:32 PM
Wallace is much better

Wallace had Ben and Hayward-bey had....... Who was the Qb?

Fire Haley
03-12-2013, 09:40 PM
You basically just described Mike Wallace.

not quite

Wallace 4 yr career totals

4002 yds

17.2 yd per catch

32 TD's

64.2 yds/gm

Heyward-Bey 4 yr career totals

2071 yds

14.8 yd per catch

11 TD

37 yds/gm

http://www.nfl.com/player/mikewallace/2507763/careerstats

tony hipchest
darius heyward- Nay

he should change his name to daruis heyward-suck

cowherpower
Yeah, Bey would be a great signing. Maybe on a one year deal. Win for us as we replace our deep threat...and it isn't like he is without talent. He was raw and like raw receivers he took a few years to develop. But he had some good showings and he wasn't playing for a very good team. Also a win for him as he gets to play for a winner and prove he is worth a long term money contract. Why not? Guy runs a 4.3 and is six two. Hard to find that combo especially one that has done some good things in the NFL.

PhantomJB93
03-12-2013, 09:41 PM
I know it's easy to make fun of him but if Wallace was drafted by the Raiders I really doubt he'd be getting a 65 million dollar contract right now either.

Sharkissle29
03-12-2013, 09:47 PM
not quite

Wallace 4 yr career totals

4002 yds

17.2 yd per catch

32 TD's

64.2 yds/gm

Heyward-Bey 4 yr career totals

2071 yds

14.8 yd per catch

11 TD

37 yds/gm

http://www.nfl.com/player/mikewallace/2507763/careerstats

Now compare QB's

NSMaster56
03-12-2013, 10:14 PM
There are plenty of players like this who, if signed on the cheap, might be impactful on this squad.

However, everyone knows that the Steelers are up against the cap and/or unlikely to make a 'big splash' via FA.

So while Hey-bey might be a 'Billy Beane' like worth while replacement option for Wallace (or Beanie Wells for Shard, or Player X for Player Y), it's probably not going to happen.

Fire Haley
03-12-2013, 10:24 PM
Now compare QB's

you got me there

maybe Carson Palmer wants to be Ben's back-up?

Steelers5895
03-12-2013, 10:45 PM
I doubt they will spend on a FA wr now that they got Buress.

kan_t
03-12-2013, 10:49 PM
The Steelers will have 4 WRs once Sanders has signed the tender. I prefer the last WR spot for somebody in the draft.

Sharkissle29
03-12-2013, 11:38 PM
you got me there

maybe Carson Palmer wants to be Ben's back-up?

You need a QB to help put up numbers, just ask Larry. I just think it would be in the Steelers best interest to give this guy a shot with height and speed. But I already know they won't...

Justp94
03-14-2013, 10:38 PM
Just like Wallace and a lot less money.

Personally I like the idea because it would add another elite speed receiver to our team and for a reasonable price.

I feel like he would've been a better player if he was on a better team with a better style of offense. The whole time he's been there, the closing thing to an elite QB he's had was Carson Palmer, but we all know he;s declining horribly. So I think that if given a chance to perform at a high level with the Steelers, he could be promising.

However I'd only give him a 2-3 year contract for a low price to make sure he can prove his worth. I'd also still draft a WR in the Middle rounds just to be safe if we were to sign Heyward-Bey.

steelfury02
03-15-2013, 08:39 AM
Carson Palmer was good enough to burn our defense - don't be too down on Carson Palmer - he played a lot better than Andy Dalton did against our D. If it wasn't for our suck ass personnel on offense this past season we'd be talking 9-7 and six seed - Dalton hasn't even proved to me that he can carry the offense to a W against us yet

Carson Palmer is good enough to still be a starter @Oakland, @Buffalo, @Jacksonville - you know, teams without a chance in hell lol

pete74
03-15-2013, 08:41 AM
Heyward Bay is the even close to a Mike Wallace.

steelfury02
03-15-2013, 09:29 AM
If there was no Plax, then I wouldn't be upset by the idea of limited action from a guy like this and for depth purposes

Brown, Sanders, Cotch, Plax and 3rd/4th round guy OR Eifert from ND. The more I watch from this guy - the more I love the prospect. Look at his video against Stanford and you'll see a guy that blocks like hell, makes big 1st down catches, and fights to even breakup INTs. This is Heath Miller 2.0 with the potential to be even better IMO.

pete74
03-15-2013, 09:58 AM
If there was no Plax, then I wouldn't be upset by the idea of limited action from a guy like this and for depth purposes

Brown, Sanders, Cotch, Plax and 3rd/4th round guy OR Eifert from ND. The more I watch from this guy - the more I love the prospect. Look at his video against Stanford and you'll see a guy that blocks like hell, makes big 1st down catches, and fights to even breakup INTs. This is Heath Miller 2.0 with the potential to be even better IMO.

I agree about Eifert. He is awesome and it wouldn't surprise or anger me if he was our first pick. I still think we're going to go tight end or defensive line round 1

steelfury02
03-15-2013, 10:06 AM
I agree about Eifert. He is awesome and it wouldn't surprise or anger me if he was our first pick. I still think we're going to go tight end or defensive line round 1

do you think he would drop to the 2nd round? Some people have him going to us or the Bears at 20.

Other people are talking about Stanford's Zach Ertz - I have no info on this guy - are there huge differences or would we want to go after this guy equally?

pete74
03-15-2013, 10:20 AM
do you think he would drop to the 2nd round? Some people have him going to us or the Bears at 20.

Other people are talking about Stanford's Zach Ertz - I have no info on this guy - are there huge differences or would we want to go after this guy equally?

I would be shockedif he dropped to the 2nd but if he did he would be gone long before wepick. He is another Jimmy Graham type tightend and iI would love to have him.

Vis
03-15-2013, 10:24 AM

Any reason you can share?

Steelerindc
03-15-2013, 10:40 AM
For all the complaints about Darius, he beat our so-called best young corner in the endzone to beat us this past year. Didn't have stones for hands then.

I don't see what it would hurt to kick the tires on this dude. He's not going to get anything close to a 4-5mill a yr deal. He's worth a incentive laden 2.5 - 3mil a yr deal.

Steel_Bus_24
03-15-2013, 10:55 AM
Im not against it, but we're so freaking cash strapped right now....he'd have to come cheap

Im surprised a team like the cheats haven't signed him yet to try and replicate 07 Moss

Anybody know his work ethic in terms of practice and film study???

Depth at LB and TE definitely come first if the cap problem is involved

steelfury02
03-15-2013, 11:01 AM
Im not against it, but we're so freaking cash strapped right now....he'd have to come cheap

Im surprised a team like the cheats haven't signed him yet to try and replicate 07 Moss

Anybody know his work ethic in terms of practice and film study???

Depth at LB and TE definitely come first if the cap problem is involved

Your comment on work ethic and film study can never be overstated - if we're bringing on new guys outside of homegrown draft guys, I don't want anymore focus or attitude issues. We need guys that are excited to be a Steeler and are excited to be a work pail type guy, especially as the season wares on and gets tougher - especially mentally down the stretch. We don't need heroes - we need dependability and someone to help take the pressure off of Ben - doesn't HAVE to be a future leader, but has to be at least a Nate Washington type guy - a pleasant surprise in what he brings to the table.

I agree with you and Pete on TE - DL and LB all around are equal concerns - I fear we won't feel better about one of those, if not two

steelfury02
03-15-2013, 11:03 AM
btw, where you at Buddha - what do you think of all of this?

casteeler
03-15-2013, 12:00 PM
The Steelers only go after other teams trash,usually the good players are the ones leaving in FA not coming in

austinfrench76
03-16-2013, 11:36 PM
He's not even Mike Wallace fast and hasn't been worth much in oakland. I wouldn't think we would take him. I would rather go after Lloyd since NE released him.

Justp94
03-17-2013, 01:59 AM
He's not even Mike Wallace fast and hasn't been worth much in oakland. I wouldn't think we would take him. I would rather go after Lloyd since NE released him.

The only reason Lloyd was released was because they're planning on stealing Sanders from us lol. Lloyd is good, but I'd rather have two WRs in the draft than Lloyd. Apparently Lloyd was trouble in the locker room for the pats too, we don't need that especially when an anonymous players called out Woodley.

Justp94
03-17-2013, 02:01 AM
Now that the Pats are most likely going to be signing Sanders to an offer sheet and the Steelers most likely not going to counter-offer it, I'd say we sign Heyward-Bey to 2 year deal at maximum 1.5 million a year. Then draft two WRs in the draft, one in the upper rounds and one in the lower rounds.

tony hipchest
03-17-2013, 04:13 AM
Now that the Pats are most likely going to be signing Sanders to an offer sheet and the Steelers most likely not going to counter-offer it, I'd say we sign Heyward-Bey to 2 year deal at maximum 1.5 million a year. Then draft two WRs in the draft, one in the upper rounds and one in the lower rounds.

brown
cotchery
plex
heyward-bey
rookie I
rookie II

the steelers wont keep 6 wr's and certainly wouldnt cut a rookie taken in the higher rounds, so scratch the idea of them drafting 2 AND getting heyward-hell-no.

he may have all the physical tools and looks of a legit nfl calibur WR, but something tells me if you gave him a copy of "green eggs and ham", it would take longer than a mini camp for him to memorize it. :hunch:

Steeldude
03-17-2013, 12:39 PM
Wallace is much better

I wouldn't say much better. Wallace is extremely overrated.

Steeldude
03-17-2013, 12:41 PM
he may have all the physical tools and looks of a legit nfl calibur WR, but something tells me if you gave him a copy of "green eggs and ham", it would take longer than a mini camp for him to memorize it. :hunch:

He only needs to fill in for Wallace. In other words, run straight and put forth minimal effort :chuckle:

Steeldude
03-17-2013, 12:47 PM

Who was his QB in Oakland?

Wallace and Bey both run 4.3 40s. I believe Beys's 40-time was better

I would only want Bey if he was cheap

Kingmagyar
03-17-2013, 03:51 PM
I believe Bey's 40 time was faster. Ike Taylor's 40 time at his pro day however scorched them both at 4.18 seconds.

Bey for 1.5 mil would be good and I think logical if Sanders is gone.

Steelers5895
03-17-2013, 06:55 PM
Bey would be a great signing. Keep in mind he had no real qb to
Throw to him. He was hurt most of the year last year with probably the best qb he had with Palmer.

I rather have bey than Emmanuel Sanders.