PDA

View Full Version : Mostly head scratching today

Steelers5895
03-12-2013, 09:43 PM
I am not sure I get any of these moves.

Giving tenders to Dwyer and Redman made no sense. One of them yes, but both?

Buress I am totally fine with. Haley's offense is not for the deep threat and hopefully we can get 60 800 and 8 from him

Foote signing terrible. Can we move on from ONE old player? I much rather see someone else try and revive this defense. 3 year deal no less?

William Gay? Come on already. another disaster to the past. Again, much rather go young for a player with upside.

Why are the Steelers so afraid to give new players a chance on defense?

harrison'samonster
03-12-2013, 09:50 PM
Gay makes sense if they lose Lewis. Foote's Foote. I agree Burress is a good sign. I'm a little surprised they're sticking with both Dwyer and Redman, but with a (hopefully) healthy O-line I think they can improve.

What about David Johnson our TE/FB!

maddog78
03-12-2013, 09:51 PM
Gay makes sense if they lose Lewis.

Only if the plan is to severely downgrade the CB position.

harrison'samonster
03-12-2013, 09:54 PM
Only if the plan is to severely downgrade the CB position.

can't win them all. If we lose Lewis our starting CB's will be Taylor and Allen. After that Gay as a 3rd corner makes a good sign.

maddog78
03-12-2013, 09:56 PM
can't win them all. If we lose Lewis our starting CB's will be Taylor and Allen. After that Gay as a 3rd corner makes a good sign.

Remember that when good passing teams are torching our nickel D next season.

harrison'samonster
03-12-2013, 09:57 PM
Remember that when good passing teams are torching our nickel D next season.

that would make your year?

OX1947
03-12-2013, 09:58 PM
More like ball scratching. i know i was

maddog78
03-12-2013, 10:00 PM
that would make your year?

No, I'm a fan of the Steelers, which is why I hate seeing them let their young talent walk out the door.

The Steelers have a depleted roster. Don't expect one draft to turn it around.

TRH
03-12-2013, 10:00 PM
I hated the Foote signing too (3-year deal? I wanted to let him go NOW...) - but when i thought about it, i'm sure it's not "guaranteed" so we'll be able to release him next year (at least PLEASE tell me its not guaranteed money, plz)

I'm baffled that we can't go with young guys as well. Other teams are drafting guys and they're going right in the lineup and excelling - yet - oh, we can't let young guys or rookies play, they have to "learn" the system.
Dante Hightower, who we were going to draft last year except that DeCastro slid down and was available - went right into the starting lineup in New England - and played well. (just one of dozens and dozens of examples).
Here - he'd still be sitting on the sideline for another year or two until he was "ready" (yeah, our system is SOOOO complex now....)
Some things here definitely leave me scratching my head.

harrison'samonster
03-12-2013, 10:03 PM
No, I'm a fan of the Steelers, which is why I hate seeing them let their young talent walk out the door.

The Steelers have a depleted roster. Don't expect one draft to turn it around.

who do you mean by young talent? Lewis? I would hate to see him go and I hope they try to hold on to him as well.

PhantomJB93
03-12-2013, 10:10 PM
Dwyer and Redman are similar but if we're not signing a FA (we're probably not) you NEED to resign both. No guarantee we get one in the draft.

Foote is the same thing. No guarantee we get an ILB in the draft and probably noone serviceable in FA. Foote knows the system and there's nobody proven enough to take over. We need him right now, although hopefully three years from now he is nothing more than a backup to Spence or another drafted player. And cutting Harrison wasn't moving on from old guys enough for you?

William Gay is hardly "going back to the past" and is only 28. He was very good his final year here and knows the system. Keenan Lewis is probably not coming back and after him we have an unproven guy and another unproven guy who has looked bad. Don't understand why there's still so much opposition to this.

tony hipchest
03-12-2013, 10:14 PM
steelers make their splash in the playoffs, not free agency.

Bane
03-12-2013, 10:22 PM
Every year, I either feel really good about the team in the offseason, and then get disappointed during the season.

Or I feel really disappointed in the offseason, then get a pleasant surprise during the season.

Right now is looking like the latter. And I like that.

harrison'samonster
03-12-2013, 10:25 PM
Every year, I either feel really good about the team in the offseason, and then get disappointed during the season.

Or I feel really disappointed in the offseason, then get a pleasant surprise during the season.

Right now is looking like the latter. And I like that.

:chuckle:

Like Tony and others have pointed out free agency and the draft aren't when you win football games.

Hawaii 5-0
03-12-2013, 10:27 PM
steelers make their splash in the playoffs, not free agency.

not this past season, they didn't.

and so far we've gotten worse, not better...

cowherpower
03-12-2013, 10:37 PM
you mean like getting bounced by Tebow led Broncos, and then not making the playoffs? That kind of splash? We have to face it, we have failed to draft and develop defensive players dating back to Cowher. Hood, Heyward, Worilds, Brown, Spence, Silvester, Spence are all higher picks that just haven't worked. I remember the days when we had to keep future pro bowl LBs on the bench because the starters were so good. Now we are relegated to starting Foote, not as a stopgap, but as a multi year starter. That's not good. Besides lucking out with A. Brown we really have nothing left on offense that is anything special either. O line continues to be a problem, Sanders hasn't been on the field or really stood out.

I'm sorry but re signing scrubs that should not be starting on our team is not going to get it done.

I only pray that signing Foote means Spence is thought of so highly by the coaches and they expect him to be healthy, that Foote is merely the backup. And that because Spence is young and going to start, we don't need to use a high pick on ILB. Also, that Allen is for sure the number 2, soon to be number 1 and Gay is just dime, special teamer/occasional injury replacement, who is behind Brown and really a number 4. That, Hood and Heyward are finally going to step up and be the first round talents we drafted them to be.

If all that breaks right it might be okay, but I think we need to see some home runs in the draft or rest of FA for me to really believe the playoffs are realistic.

tony hipchest
03-12-2013, 11:57 PM
not this past season, they didn't.

and so far we've gotten worse, not better...

we are talking about back ups here.

harrison got healthy = we got better

harrison got cut = we got worse

ike taylor got healthy = we got better

heath miller is hurt = we got worse

decastro is back and healthy = we got better

wallace got cut = we got worse

wallace was a distraction who underperformed = we got better (addition by subtraction)

woodley is healthy and working out = we got better

foote was resigned = we got worse

gay got signed = we got better

gay got signed = we got worse.

so on and so forth.

Hawaii 5-0
03-13-2013, 12:01 AM
foote was resigned = we got worse

gay got signed = we got worse.

:chuckle:

TheVet
03-13-2013, 01:32 AM
I am not sure I get any of these moves.

Giving tenders to Dwyer and Redman made no sense. One of them yes, but both?

These are two proven, solid NFL backs. Every team should have at least two solid NFL-caliber backs, no? Did you notice the departure of our former #1 pick that never really worked out, and our exciting little gadget back? And don't even mention that other guy, ugh ... Seriously, we've only got two backs.

Buress I am totally fine with. Haley's offense is not for the deep threat and hopefully we can get 60 800 and 8 from him

Yep. He's cheap and experienced, and now mature without attitude problems. We need a few guys like this to ride out our rebuilding period.

Foote signing terrible. Can we move on from ONE old player? I much rather see someone else try and revive this defense. 3 year deal no less?

Uhhhh, have you noticed how our LB drafts have been working out over the past five years or so? Losing Foote would be awful.

William Gay? Come on already. another disaster to the past. Again, much rather go young for a player with upside.

He's OK in our nickel, cheap and knows the system. We need guys like this to ride out our rebuilding period.

Why are the Steelers so afraid to give new players a chance on defense?
Good question. Part of it seems to be their mindset, but they've also swung and missed too often in recent drafts. It's been a fairly bad run.

OX1947
03-13-2013, 02:51 AM
Yah, Steelers make their splash in the draft, only issue is, no one stays after their rookie contracts. So, what difference does it make.

kan_t
03-13-2013, 02:53 AM
Am I the only one who think that the Steelers have a good start?

1) I'm surprise that Foster re-signed, with a cap friendly deal. Even though he's not an All-Pro but he's a decent starter. At worst he can strengthen the O-line depth.

2) Dwyer signed the tender so quick that it gave the Steelers more breathing room to moniter the RB market by knowing that at least they have a RB on the team.

3) Plaxico Burress is not Wallace. No one confuses about that. But he's a big target in red zone/ third down that Ben is looking for (Whether he's allowed to be on the field in those situations is another matter).

4) The release of Asomugha and Antoine Winfield may help to keep Lewis' price down.

5) I don't like Foote as a starter. But the Steelers have no choice but to re-sign him if they are not confident about Spence's recovery. 3 years deal looks ugly but it really doesn't matter. The Steelers can cut him easily. But they better pick a ILB in the coming draft.

6) The Ravens surprisely lost Ellerbe.

The Steelers never are big player in FA market. No reason to panic or get upset about it. Losing Wallace hurts the team but his leaving is written on the wall since Brown has signed the extension. After a year for prepare his leaving, I hardly feel sad about his departure at this point.

bornaSteelersfan
03-13-2013, 02:57 AM
Yah, Steelers make their splash in the draft, only issue is, no one stays after their rookie contracts. So, what difference does it make.

Either that, or they get inured. That splash lately is like doing a cannonball into a pool of acid.

steeltheone
03-13-2013, 04:05 AM
who do you mean by young talent? Lewis? I would hate to see him go and I hope they try to hold on to him as well.

Mendy, Lewis and Wallace would be considered young. None of them has reached their prime yet.

steeltheone
03-13-2013, 04:12 AM
Am I the only one who think that the Steelers have a good start?

1) I'm surprise that Foster re-signed, with a cap friendly deal. Even though he's not an All-Pro but he's a decent starter. At worst he can strengthen the O-line depth.

2) Dwyer signed the tender so quick that it gave the Steelers more breathing room to moniter the RB market by knowing that at least they have a RB on the team.

3) Plaxico Burress is not Wallace. No one confuses about that. But he's a big target in red zone/ third down that Ben is looking for (Whether he's allowed to be on the field in those situations is another matter).

4) The release of Asomugha and Antoine Winfield may help to keep Lewis' price down.

5) I don't like Foote as a starter. But the Steelers have no choice but to re-sign him if they are not confident about Spence's recovery. 3 years deal looks ugly but it really doesn't matter. The Steelers can cut him easily. But they better pick a ILB in the coming draft.

6) The Ravens surprisely lost Ellerbe.

The Steelers never are big player in FA market. No reason to panic or get upset about it. Losing Wallace hurts the team but his leaving is written on the wall since Brown has signed the extension. After a year for prepare his leaving, I hardly feel sad about his departure at this point.

Dwyer signed because he could not play anywhere else.

Foote has been fine over the years on a star filled Defense. Depending on him as a playmaker starter shows where we are headed.

Plax is washed up. He may come through every now and again but this is not 2003. He cannot be depended on.

The Spence pick has crippled this defense. injured or not i don't think he is an everydown linebacker.

Terminator
03-13-2013, 06:00 AM
Larry Foote is smart, but he got pushed around WAY too much last season. I honestly worry that his physical strength and athleticism is no longer up to par to compete with the young bucks of the NFL.

Signing William Gay is just something I am pretending didn't happen. I am in denial.

Dwyer is vapor. I will bet any amount of money that he will amount to NOTHING.

Spence needs to be forgotten. His leg injury was so severe that he will NEVER be what he was, or what he could have been. He needs to be released.

jb500ex
03-13-2013, 06:13 AM
Larry Foote is smart, but he got pushed around WAY too much last season. I honestly worry that his physical strength and athleticism is no longer up to par to compete with the young bucks of the NFL.

Signing William Gay is just something I am pretending didn't happen. I am in denial.

Dwyer is vapor. I will bet any amount of money that he will amount to NOTHING.

Spence needs to be forgotten. His leg injury was so severe that he will NEVER be what he was, or what he could have been. He needs to be released.

So you think foote got pushed Around what do you think about Timmons?

Stairway to 7
03-13-2013, 06:50 AM

But they're not making splashes in the draft. Too ,any misses lateley.

No-one stays after their rookies deals? that's BS.

Who wanted that lazy little bitch **** back anyway?

Steelerindc
03-13-2013, 07:02 AM
How much would Namdi cost? He's still getting that signing bonus money so he might not cost us that much to sign.

Terminator
03-13-2013, 07:21 AM
So you think foote got pushed Around what do you think about Timmons?

Timmons stepped it up last year. He is a solid starter.

SteeleReign
03-13-2013, 09:30 AM
These decisions by the FO have had me confused as well. However, they clearly have an eye on the draft and an idea which positions can be adequately addressed.

Admittedly, I'm not a College Football guy. I don't know much about the talent pool beyond the major names. From what I gather, this isn't a very deep draft for RBs - thus, we signed Dwyer and Redman to minor deals. I would expect us to sign a late RB - 4th round or later and see what pans out. Dwyer & Redman are insurance.

As for Foote - yeah, he's past his prime. But, what else do we have? As we know, it's apparently humanly impossible to play defense for LeBeau as a rookie. We also know that a big-name FA isn't coming here. So, Larry Foote it is. Again, expect a LB to be chosen early. Foote is a rental stop-gap.

Burress - contract won't hurt. If Haley can design some jump ball plays in the end zone for him, then he has value.

Lewis, behind closed doors, must be looking for more than the Steelers think he's worth. I'd love to have him back, but don't want to see him overpaid. Gay, once again, is a rental. Expect a rookie drafted in rounds 1-4.

My biggest question is NT. I've been confused by the handling of McLendon. He seemed to overpower the center just about every time on the field, but got little playing time. Now, the team seems to be willing to let him walk by throwing a low-ball tender at him. I guess the FO feels he's not likely to get much love in the market. I hope they're right. If we lose McLendon, then what? Another D-lineman in the first round? Good Lord, I hope not!!

SteelersCanada
03-13-2013, 09:48 AM
Oops, posted this in the wrong forum.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
03-13-2013, 09:55 AM
I had high hopes for us next year but it seems like we're going to have another 8-8 or 9-7 season we have a lot of needs.

cowherpower
03-13-2013, 09:55 AM
I think the problem with the lackluster signing of Redman and Dwyer is that neither is capable of catching 30-50 balls on top of running between the tackles as well as busting it out wide. They are too one dimensional and if we start the season with either as our starter we will have arguably THE worst RB in the league. That pisses me off. There may be some value RB picks in 3rd round or later in the draft, so there is that possibility. But signing both of these guys makes little sense. I'd rather not sign either and take a chance on Steven Jackson and draft his replacement this year, giving that guy time to develop. It would allow Steelers to draft OLB, S, OT, CB early instead of using a pick on RB because we need him to start right away. But..by keeping both, it eats up precious money making it so we cannot even offer S. Jackson a decent two year deal. It's baffling. Sadly, even at his age he is a huge upgrade over our bums.

If Gay or Foote see the field it is a huge indictment of our utter failure to draft well over the past 5 plus seasons. Someone we aren't even considering, on our roster, needs to have a monumental leap forward in development or we are average at best....again

SteeleReign
03-13-2013, 10:02 AM
I think the problem with the lackluster signing of Redman and Dwyer is that neither is capable of catching 30-50 balls on top of running between the tackles as well as busting it out wide. They are too one dimensional and if we start the season with either as our starter we will have arguably THE worst RB in the league. That pisses me off. There may be some value RB picks in 3rd round or later in the draft, so there is that possibility. But signing both of these guys makes little sense. I'd rather not sign either and take a chance on Steven Jackson and draft his replacement this year, giving that guy time to develop. It would allow Steelers to draft OLB, S, OT, CB early instead of using a pick on RB because we need him to start right away. But..by keeping both, it eats up precious money making it so we cannot even offer S. Jackson a decent two year deal. It's baffling. Sadly, even at his age he is a huge upgrade over our bums.

If Gay or Foote see the field it is a huge indictment of our utter failure to draft well over the past 5 plus seasons. Someone we aren't even considering, on our roster, needs to have a monumental leap forward in development or we are average at best....again

Seriously? Steven Jackson? We are in salary cap hell, there is no way that S-Jax is coming here.

austinfrench76
03-13-2013, 10:16 AM
Not sure what else they could have done from a financial perspective. All cheap moves that make sense schematically. And they just signed Gradkowski which I really like! No more Leftwich aka Mr Glass...

tony hipchest
03-13-2013, 10:44 AM
How much would Namdi cost? He's still getting that signing bonus money so he might not cost us that much to sign.he sucks in zone coverage, only plays the right side of the field and cant cover in the middle. no thanks.

he was a complete failure in phily and would continue that fail in the burgh.

tony hipchest
03-13-2013, 10:58 AM

hogwash :jerkit:

ben
miller
starks
brown
foster
woodley
harrison
keisel
hampton
polamalu
foote
timmons
ike
colon

theres 14 homegrown steelers all playing on their 2nd contract. only somebody who was completely clueless would think that the team that went to 3 SB's in the past 10 years, doesnt retain any of its rookies.

starters still on rookie contracts?

pouncey
adams
gilbert
decastro
keenan
hood

ryan clark is the only non-homegrown product and he is on his 2nd contract with the team.

and people who say our drafts have sucked lately are full of crap too.

Fire Arians
03-13-2013, 11:14 AM
the fact they havent made huge moves for lewis maybe means they have a lot of faith in cortez allen

ebsteelers
03-13-2013, 11:17 AM
the fact they havent made huge moves for lewis maybe means they have a lot of faith in cortez allen

or does it mean they are letting him test the waters first?

i havent heard anything about him one way or another

Goldsteel86
03-13-2013, 11:26 AM
I use dandruff shampoo, you know the stuff Troy uses, makes me feel smart at least the amount of time I am in the shower. That should take care of your head scratching, if not see a doctor. As far as the Steelers and the FO decisions, I need to go back to the shower!

steelfury02
03-13-2013, 11:32 AM
a good convo is about sexy teams like the Seahawks, 49ers, Redskins and their ability to get into the playoffs and compete with free agent signings and young rookie or 2nd year players v. how often they keep having to reload with said big name signings while the Steelers plod on, competing more consistently than they have in the big picture of things.

Of course things are head scratching today - we all want the big impact names - I bet you some of those same names will be back out on the market in the next 1-3 seasons.

Really free agency is a testament to the Steelers - not too many teams let go the type of quality we have to let go and still be able to field a good to great team.

8-8 is an awful season for Steeler Nation - that says a lot.

cowherpower
03-13-2013, 11:44 AM
In the last three drafts, I count only Wallace, Brown, Pouncey as sure fire quality starting players. We just lost Wallace. There are some contributors in Worilds, Heyward, Gilbert, Sanders, Allen, Adams, DeCastro who might be able to get to that level. Not one of those players looks like they will be pro bowlers. Our last three draft are crap and anyone thinking otherwise has their head in the sand. Every one of the above needed to become quality starters in order to continue to be a SB contender. It hasn't worked out...yet. We will know this season as they can't be hid behind veterans any longer. It's make or break time

LVSteelersfan
03-13-2013, 12:15 PM
David Freaking Johnson???? What the heck do they see in this guy? If Foote is the starter, we are in trouble with Harrison gone. Timmons can only cover so much of the field to cover Foote's A $ $. And bringing back William Gay is head scratching. I just don't get it. He was never that good and we bring him back with even more miles on him? I am not that upset with other things they have done. I think Gradkowski is definitely an upgrade over Batch and Leftwich. And dropping Colon was a GREAT mover. Guy is just and injury waiting to happen. And maybe no more stupid mind blowing penalties that continue to push us backwards. So it hasn't been all bad news.

Steelers>NFL
03-13-2013, 12:28 PM
not as bad as all of the Ravens losses thus far in FA & releases.

cowherpower
03-13-2013, 12:46 PM
not as bad as all of the Ravens losses thus far in FA & releases.

most teams would trade those losses for an offseason for a SB win. It's actually what should have been allowed to happen after GB superbowl for us. Then by now we'd maybe be on our way back up instead of down

VaDave
03-13-2013, 02:03 PM
The Ravens have about gutted their team, the Browns have improved somewhat on defense, but the O is substandard. The Bengals seem to be going for status quo. We're going to be fine. If we can keep our OL healthy we'll do more than fine.

harrison'samonster
03-13-2013, 02:05 PM
The Ravens have about gutted their team, the Browns have improved somewhat on defense, but the O is substandard. The Bengals seem to be going for status quo. We're going to be fine. If we can keep our OL healthy we'll do more than fine.

Agreed. We were competing for the division until injuries took over. I can't say I'm upset at all at this point. We'll still put men on the field and play football.

VaDave
03-13-2013, 02:17 PM
We still have some work to do, but slowly the pieces are coming together not only with the Steelers, but the rest of the league as well. Truth be told, there isn't enough talent and or cap space for any team to buy a championship.

And even if a team tried to buy one ( look at the Ravens) you are either going into cap hell, or immediate liquidation.

Steelers5895
03-13-2013, 08:07 PM
Dwyer and Redman are similar but if we're not signing a FA (we're probably not) you NEED to resign both. No guarantee we get one in the draft.

Foote is the same thing. No guarantee we get an ILB in the draft and probably noone serviceable in FA. Foote knows the system and there's nobody proven enough to take over. We need him right now, although hopefully three years from now he is nothing more than a backup to Spence or another drafted player. And cutting Harrison wasn't moving on from old guys enough for you?

William Gay is hardly "going back to the past" and is only 28. He was very good his final year here and knows the system. Keenan Lewis is probably not coming back and after him we have an unproven guy and another unproven guy who has looked bad. Don't understand why there's still so much opposition to this.

There were plenty of low dollar RBs who could excel in our system like Jackie battle. And foote knows the system but is slow and trails to many plays. A young fast linebacker could trail plays just as well by not knowing the system but will make up for it with speed in other plays. Plus the upside once he knows the system. I guarantee we could find one on the draft.

Steelers5895
03-13-2013, 08:10 PM
a good convo is about sexy teams like the Seahawks, 49ers, Redskins and their ability to get into the playoffs and compete with free agent signings and young rookie or 2nd year players v. how often they keep having to reload with said big name signings while the Steelers plod on, competing more consistently than they have in the big picture of things.

Of course things are head scratching today - we all want the big impact names - I bet you some of those same names will be back out on the market in the next 1-3 seasons.

Really free agency is a testament to the Steelers - not too many teams let go the type of quality we have to let go and still be able to field a good to great team.

8-8 is an awful season for Steeler Nation - that says a lot.

I doubt anyone wanted or expected a free agent splash but the moves made tells us fans we will not get younger and faster on defense nor develop a starter. Foote and gay do nothing to help us get to the playoffs

MaidenIndiana
03-13-2013, 09:22 PM
If somebody just accidently stumbled onto this board, they would be the one's scratching their heads. According to the majority of posters the Steelers have screwed up so bad that next year theyll be lucky to win a single game. Basically the Steelers are going to suck next year. Im begining to scratch my head wondering why I'm even reading some of the shit posted here.

harrison'samonster
03-13-2013, 09:30 PM
If somebody just accidently stumbled onto this board, they would be the one's scratching their heads. According to the majority of posters the Steelers have screwed up so bad that next year theyll be lucky to win a single game. Basically the Steelers are going to suck next year. Im begining to scratch my head wondering why I'm even reading some of the shit posted here.

i don't mind people having a negative viewpoint on things, but sometimes reading the posts makes you think we must have had a losing record the past 10 years.