PDA

View Full Version : Is now the time to trade Troy?

bornaSteelersfan
03-13-2013, 02:04 AM
I know that most of Steeler Nation will think that the idea must be blasphemy. I will probably get flamed hard for this idea. However, think about it for a bit:

1) Troy looked pretty healthy at the end of the year (could make teams very interested and give good value for The Steelers).

2) He has a large cap hit (could really use that leverage to sign players).

3) He still has a couple of years on contract (again value for possible teams to trade).

There might be quite a few teams still interested in picking him up now before he deteriorates altogether. If there is this much buzz about a guy like Revis who is injured and old, imagine what a team would give for Troy. We would probably still get some high draft picks for him.

What are everyone's thoughts?

Hawaii 5-0
03-13-2013, 02:31 AM
NO!

hope that helps...

Avoid-Lloyd
03-13-2013, 02:44 AM
Revis is 27. Troy turns 32 in April. Now who is old?

Bayz101
03-13-2013, 02:45 AM
I believe his potential to make plays next season is more than enough reason NOT to trade him. Technically speaking, yes, now WOULD be the time to trade Troy. But they won't.

As for being flamed: It's a good discussion point. You're not suggesting that you'd like him to be traded, you're only asking whether or not now would be the time, and the answer is yes, in my opinion. I don't believe they will, however, and I wouldn't be happy if they did,

bornaSteelersfan
03-13-2013, 02:49 AM
Revis is 27. Troy turns 32 in April. Now who is old?

I stand corrected. However, Revis is still not healthy and can't run, yet. Troy just finished the season on the field looking healthy. Thank you for pointing that out.

bornaSteelersfan
03-13-2013, 02:52 AM
I believe his potential to make plays next season is more than enough reason NOT to trade him. Technically speaking, yes, now WOULD be the time to trade Troy. But they won't.

As for being flamed: It's a good discussion point. You're not suggesting that you'd like him to be traded, you're only asking whether or not now would be the time, and the answer is yes, in my opinion. I don't believe they will, however, and I wouldn't be happy if they did,

I, too, would not be happy if he got traded (see signature). The NFL is a business, though. If the Rooneys were shrewd businessmen, they would seriously consider trading him.

kan_t
03-13-2013, 02:59 AM
When he's healthy, he has shown that he's still one of the best in the game. And he's healthy in his last few games.

He's the core of the Steelers defense and no reason to trade him. Given his contract and age, the Steelers won't get equal value back.

steeltheone
03-13-2013, 04:01 AM
When he's healthy, he has shown that he's still one of the best in the game. And he's healthy in his last few games.

He's the core of the Steelers defense and no reason to trade him. Given his contract and age, the Steelers won't get equal value back.

Revis is a Cover Corner and one of the best. They are very hard to find.

Troy plays a a much different role at safety for the Steelers. It is yet to be seen if he can excel this year the same way he has in the past.

The level of talent is not near what it used to be on the Steelers Defense and this may limit his role as he played it in the past. ( i believe this happened to a degree last year but was not as noticeable because he rarely played)

SteelCitian
03-13-2013, 07:26 AM
I say not to trade him. I think he still has more left in the tank and would like to see him in a Steelers uniform at least another year.

JackH
03-13-2013, 08:15 AM
Troy is from California and I doubt he'd mind much to be traded to the 49ers. SF has 14 draft picks this year, after spending one on Boldin. They are either going to trade more draft picks for players or swap some for picks in future years.

I love Troy, but I'm just sayin'.

sloppyjoe
03-13-2013, 08:32 AM
i would love to see him traded
always hurt and minimal production when he isnt. not a good combo with his cap hit.
now a paycut im all for

Bayz101
03-13-2013, 08:36 AM
i would love to see him traded
always hurt and minimal production when he isnt. not a good combo with his cap hit.
now a paycut im all for

A healthy Polamalu runs our defense. If he stays healthy, he'll be our defensive MVP.

EDIT: POST 5,000!! Woohoo!

teegre
03-13-2013, 08:49 AM
Opening game against Denver. Peyton Manning audibles out of a play; Troy audibles the defense into a different alignment; Peyton audibles again; Troy moves into a different spot on the field; and Peyton burns a time-out.

In other words, there is no defender who is smarter and/or more respected than Troy. (QBs locate him before EVERY play.)

The last few games, he started to look healthy (that hit on Green, along the sideline, was a beauty)... and looking like Troy of 2008.

I think he plays one last season... and plays it extremely well.

sloppyjoe
03-13-2013, 09:40 AM
A healthy Polamalu runs our defense. If he stays healthy, he'll be our defensive MVP.

EDIT: POST 5,000!! Woohoo!

sure, when was the last time that happened?

Bayz101
03-13-2013, 09:45 AM
sure, when was the last time that happened?

If that's the argument you want to take we should release Ben, Woodley and Pouncey as well.

tony hipchest
03-13-2013, 09:55 AM
teams wouldnt give the steelers fair value for him. they never do. for instance we couldnt get a 1st for mike wallace yet percy harvin commands one. we couldnt get more than a 5th for santurdio holmes. it was reported that the raiders rejected an offer for big ben, in a season that he eventually took the steelers to the super bowl- his 3rd. this is the same team that drafted jamarcus russell #1, traded 2 1st round picks for carson Palmer, and just cut 1st rounders huff and heyward bey. also the wasted a pick on rolando mcclain. infact the last time the steelers got fair value in a trade was with the rams and jerome bettis. we had to pay heavy to move up in the draft to take polamalu and holmes.

point is, teams just dont want to help us out and they know how we operate. if we are shopping someone, they know just to wait until they are cut. if we are not shopping them it is assumed the player is in the steelers plans.

maybe we are just too transparent in those regards.

harrison'samonster
03-13-2013, 10:16 AM
throughout Troy's career, our record when he hasn't started is .500. As much as I love Harrison, Polamalu is the biggest factor we've had on D on this recent team.

I say as long as we have Ben on offense and Troy on defense this team has a shot at the SB.

SteelersCanada
03-13-2013, 10:17 AM
If that's the argument you want to take we should release Ben, Woodley and Pouncey as well.

In all fairness, Ben was having an MVP level season before he was injured. Polamalu, on the other hand, can't stay healthy and even when he was healthy he was ineffective. He had one pick when he came back and it was against Thaddeus Lewis. Now, I'm not going to sit there and judge Troy by his INTs as that would be beyond stupid, but it goes to show that he's lost a step and it's become painfully obvious.

If we get an offer of a second round pick for him, I think we have to deal him at that point. I'd take two young and explosive playmakers over a 32 year old that hasn't stayed healthy the last three years with that lingering calf. If he came back and set the world (field?) on fire, it'd be a different story but this just hasn't happened yet.

austinfrench76
03-13-2013, 10:21 AM
No thanks.

AgentGold007
03-13-2013, 10:33 AM
The answer to the question is no. But knowing the Steelers, if they did trade him, they'd bring him back two years later to be a stop gap til they develop a young safety.

steeltheone
03-13-2013, 10:44 AM
Opening game against Denver. Peyton Manning audibles out of a play; Troy audibles the defense into a different alignment; Peyton audibles again; Troy moves into a different spot on the field; and Peyton burns a time-out.

In other words, there is no defender who is smarter and/or more respected than Troy. (QBs locate him before EVERY play.)

The last few games, he started to look healthy (that hit on Green, along the sideline, was a beauty)... and looking like Troy of 2008.

I think he plays one last season... and plays it extremely well. As I have said before, I don't think TP43 will be able to freelance like he did before. We just don't have the talent around him to be able to do that.

Dick Lebeau seems to always amaze me no matter what talent he has. So I could be wrong.

EbonySteel86
03-13-2013, 10:48 AM
The words Troy and traded in the same sentence sickens me, but if your going to trade him, now would be the time.

sloppyjoe
03-13-2013, 10:52 AM
[QUOTE=Bayz101;1091661]If that's the argument you want to take we should release Ben, Woodley and Pouncey as well.[/QUOTE

so you believe troy has lived up to the money he has been paid the last 3 years?

tony hipchest
03-13-2013, 11:04 AM
so you believe troy has lived up to the money he has been paid the last 3 years?

yes.

peyton manning is older and missed more games in the past 3 years and he has lived up to the money he has been paid.

injuries happen.

steelfury02
03-13-2013, 11:09 AM
logical move, not the right move

JackH
03-13-2013, 12:03 PM
The words Troy and traded in the same sentence sickens me, but if your going to trade him, now would be the time.

Exactly. It's now or never. Otherwise you get nothing for him. He'll retire or go the route of James Harrison.

Troy played in 7 (in 2 of which he didn't play long) games last season and had 1 pick, in the last game against the Browns against a QB who was starting his first game in the NFL.

Fish or cut bait?.

On the other hand, maybe he does have an awesome season or two left.

NSMaster56
03-13-2013, 12:12 PM
If the idea was to trade Troy at optimal value, then he should have been moved after 2008 or before [the end] 2010.

As things are, trading him would only net cap relief and a 'replacement level' player or mid-round draft pick (maybe 3rd at best).

Factor in what he means to the team and fans, plus his impact when healthy and it's not worth discussing.

It's not that it's a bad idea, it's just that in reality the net gain would miniscule at best.

Vis
03-13-2013, 12:15 PM
If the idea was to trade Troy at optimal value, then he should have been moved after 2008 or before [the end] 2010.

Continuing this line of thought, who is playing their absolute best football right now? Trade him. Trade everyone in their prime.

kan_t
03-13-2013, 12:24 PM
The main point is that other team won't give up much for him. Every team would look at his age, injury history and his contract when they talk to the Steelers. The Ravens just give up Boldin for a 6th round pick.

On the other hand he still plays an important role in the Steelers defense and he has shown that he can still make plays.

The Steelers won't get equal value back so trading him doesn't make sense.

harrison'samonster
03-13-2013, 01:38 PM
The Steelers won't get equal value back so trading him doesn't make sense.

exactly.

pete74
03-13-2013, 01:50 PM
I would trade Troy and his huge contract right now for a 1st round pick but nobody would pay that so I would keep him. I doubt he can but hopefully he can stay healthy all year. He is an awesome player when he's healthy and with all our problems we really need him this year

teegre
03-13-2013, 01:53 PM
I would trade Troy and his huge contract right now for a 1st round pick but nobody would pay that so I would keep him. I doubt he can but hopefully he can stay healthy all year. He is an awesome player when he's healthy and with all our problems we really need him this year

Exactly.

I'd trade Troy for St. Louis's two R1 picks... but, I doubt that that is actually going to happen. Thus, I'll stick with Troy (who, I predict, is going to have an All-Pro level season... and then retire).

VaDave
03-13-2013, 02:39 PM
Troy, injuries, age, and all is still one of the top 3 safeties in the game. Down the stretch last year he was playing the best ball he's played in years. That said, nobody is going to assume a 10 million + a year contract for two years, and in addition fork over high draft picks.

Troy is good, but he's not that good, unless somebody is absolutely convinced he is the last piece in a super bowl puzzle.

bornaSteelersfan
03-13-2013, 02:50 PM
I don't think The Steelers will ever get more for him in a trade than they will this off-season. I wish he would take a pay cut. His words in my signature read clear, but the actions do not.

NSMaster56
03-13-2013, 03:36 PM
Continuing this line of thought, who is playing their absolute best football right now? Trade him. Trade everyone in their prime.

Considering what happened with Shard, Wallace and Woodley and the amount of complaining by some here, it's not a crazy idea.

That aside, the bottom line re: trading Troy is that nobody is going to pay 2008 prices for 2013 Polamalu.

NSMaster56
03-13-2013, 03:48 PM
More counter logic why it's not a great idea to trade Troy:
-What's his market? Outside desperate teams (CLE, DET, JAX, OAK...) or teams 'one player away' (SF and maybe ATL), who's has a need and would be willing to land a player like Polamalu at his price and---most importantly---who can afford him?
-Say you trade Troy... who replaces him? Ideally Elam or another rookie S, right? But wouldn't the OPTIMAL situation be to draft Elam or another rookie S and have them LEARN under one of the greatest Safeties ever?
-When healthy, isn't Polamalu still one of the best players on the team and top half safeties in the game? Doesn't he still serve a role as a 'leader' in the locker room and/or mentor to young/incoming players? Granted he's slipped and has injury concerns, but trading him now is 'selling low'. You don't sell low---especially not when a player like Troy can still pay dividends until he is truly 'washed up'.

His 'cap hit' is not a problem so long as he provides leader/mentorship to the team and plays 10+ games a year for one of the best D's in the league.

The only way a trade makes sense is if ATL or SF offers up a package of picks or a 1st/2nd rounder for him. Banishing Polamalu to some team like the Bills would be shameful, even if it netted the Steelers a top pick or picks.

The_Joker
03-13-2013, 03:51 PM
Lemme think about this...

NO

Goldsteel86
03-13-2013, 04:02 PM
Puff, Puff, Pass!!!!!! Lay off the Mary Jane and think about what you are saying, trade Troy? The season hasn't even began and you want to give up on them, something tells me that the Steelers will surprise alot of people next year. I believe the chemistry will surprise alot of people, don't pull the plug too soon, this team may surprise all just yet!

zcoop
03-13-2013, 06:42 PM
I had to really think about this because of the big salary but NO, I don't want him to go. I believe Dude's still got some game. If he can heal, he brings some mean shit to the table.

Lady Steel
03-13-2013, 07:39 PM
The hell? Um, NO!

Steelers5895
03-13-2013, 08:14 PM
I think we wouldn't get the value we would want for him to get traded. I'd be fine with it but it would have to be for an early 2 and no one is giving that up for an old injury prone safety especially with the draft deep in that position

SteelerEmpire
03-13-2013, 10:49 PM
Trade Troy ? For this Steeler team right now, thats like putting a 9MM in your mouth and pulling the trigger.

wwhickok
03-14-2013, 07:29 AM
Absolutely not.

tmacsteelerfan
03-14-2013, 09:26 AM
No way we'd get close to equal value if we traded him. When he's healthy he's still one of the best defensive players in the league, let alone safeties. We lost Harrison, Wallace, Medenhall, and we'll probably lose Lewis. If we'd get rid of Troy it'd be tough for the FO to say this isn't a rebuilding season for us, but it doesn't have to be. Keep Troy, no doubt.

thesteeldeal
03-14-2013, 10:28 AM
as a true steelers fan i feel that we should stay old school and keep our honor and integrity What Troy has done for us should be rewarded with the honor of retiring in a Pittsburgh Steelers jersey! He has sigle handedly changed the role of an NFL safety and may be the the most athletic and football savvy player ever in Steelers history if not NFL history!!! RETIRE his Jersey #43 !!!

Fire Haley
03-14-2013, 10:30 AM
say no to trading him

say yes to asking for a paycut

ZoneBlitzer
03-15-2013, 02:52 AM
say no to trading him

say yes to asking for a paycut

He's totally overpaid. Time to stop being fat Troy and get in shape. His football fundamentals are terrible as well.

steelfury02
03-15-2013, 07:57 AM
What I saw out of Troy in the last Cincy game is telling I think - I think we're going to get at least a great 3/4 of a regular season out of him - and I'm hoping that's not including the first four games.

Now, Troy only knows how to play one way - but, he is one guy where his presence alone makes QBs think twice - so, if this man needs to make a few business decisions to stay on the field for the course of a regular season/playoffs - go ahead Troy

hell, I wouldn't even mind seeing him gets some breathers (and give a little hometown discount - he'll make up for it with commercials anyways and then some)

Like Wes Welker just told the Broncos - the money should take care of itself, the man just wants to win - I think Troy still has some fire in him

Terminator
03-15-2013, 08:05 AM
I don't want to see Troy play for another team.

But if he gets injured ONE MORE TIME, then I want him to retire after the season is over.

steelfury02
03-15-2013, 08:15 AM
I don't want to see Troy play for another team.

But if he gets injured ONE MORE TIME, then I want him to retire after the season is over.

this. I think it will be time to move on after this season anyways. I don't see two up to par performances in a row from Troy.

TheVet
03-15-2013, 03:54 PM
At first blush, the topic of this thread sounded completely insane. But with Harrison gone, and the cap problems, and the need to rebuild - it does make you wonder. When you're rebuilding, is it better to just clear it out and start fresh, laying the foundations for greatness, or to risk a long spell of mediocrity. That's a big contract to carry.

I don't at all like the idea of losing Troy or Harrison, but losing one of them may actually be worse than zero or two. An era has ended.

bornaSteelersfan
03-15-2013, 05:05 PM
At first blush, the topic of this thread sounded completely insane. But with Harrison gone, and the cap problems, and the need to rebuild - it does make you wonder. When you're rebuilding, is it better to just clear it out and start fresh, laying the foundations for greatness, or to risk a long spell of mediocrity. That's a big contract to carry.

I don't at all like the idea of losing Troy or Harrison, but losing one of them may actually be worse than zero or two. An era has ended.

My thoughts when starting this thread were of the salary cap problems and the value of Troy. He was healthy at the end of the year and looked pretty good. He has a very high cap hit. He may have at least 2 more good years if he can stay healthy (a big "if"). Getting another draft pick and freeing up cap space seems like a great idea. It will make our defense much younger immediately.

My other thoughts are that even though he is a veteran, he does not seem to command the kind of leadership that The Steelers truly need. He is a little too "soft-spoken". Even AB said that his words earlier in the season fell on deaf ears. While he is on the field, it make offenses always have to adjust to him. He still has some big play potential, but how much?

I am not saying that we should trade him, he is my favorite current Steeler player. I am a Steeler fan first and foremost above any one player. I think that if they ever thought of trading him, there doesn't seem to be a beter time than now.

FrancoLambert
03-15-2013, 05:37 PM
I was dead set against it a week or two ago.

No more. We're rebuilding. (So are the Ravens)

If there's a willing taker offering maximum value at this time the Steelers should do it.

The way this off-season has unfolded, there's no choice but to look to the future.

We've lost so much, (even with BB) it's unrealistic to consider us a serious legitimate contender next year.

Colbert has to nail this draft.

FanSince72
03-15-2013, 07:47 PM

And of course the operative phrase is: "When he's healthy" which is becoming a point of diminishing return as the years have gone by.

Troy has been an interesting player, sometimes great and sometimes non-existent but in my opinion most often misused. Sure, he can create some "Highlight-Reel" moments, but I think his talents have been wasted in large part by never specifically defining just what his role is supposed to be.

It's kind of like having a Ferrari when you really don't need one and then wondering what you're going to do with it.

I'd be lying if I said that I haven't been awed by some of the things he's done, but I still see him more as a novelty than as a vital part of the defense and if trading him is what's being considered, I don't think I'd lose any sleep over it.

ZoneBlitzer
03-16-2013, 02:48 AM
Is it time to trade Troy? Sure, what the hell. Might as well complete the staff turnover.

Cajun steeler
03-16-2013, 08:43 AM
He's a great player when he is on the field. Injury prone !

austinfrench76
03-16-2013, 10:42 PM
I know he has missed the past few seasons off and on but I wouldn't trade him unless it's a "can't turn it down deal".