PDA

View Full Version : Can you guys help with my wifes Sports Medicine homework

SteelCitian
03-13-2013, 09:08 AM
My wife is taking a class for college for Sports psychology and she chose to write about Mike Tomlin for this particular project and needs a few ideas.

Specifics about why he makes a good leader - like qualities and things that he does to motivate the players.

He seems like hes always on the sidelines trying to fire up the players besides making the occasional bad call.

harrison'samonster
03-13-2013, 09:10 AM
My wife is taking a class for college for Sports medicine and she chose to write about Mike Tomlin for this particular project and needs a few ideas.

Specifics about why he makes a good leader - like qualities and things that he does to motivate the players.

He seems like hes always on the sidelines trying to fire up the players besides making the occasional bad call.

he also greets every single player as they come into the locker room after the game, thanking them for their effort. I'm not sure I've ever heard of a head coach doing that.

SteelCitian
03-13-2013, 09:55 AM
here is the exact question:

Choose someone you consider to be a good, strong, formidable leader (this could be a teacher, politician, religious person, coach, business person, scholar/researcher, inventor, etc.). It may be someone you know personally, or someone you admire(d) from a distance. Pick only one person.
Who did you chose as your "GOOD LEADER" and in a sentence or two, why did you chose this person? What specific skills do/did they possess or demonstrate and how could you improve or model your leadership based on those skills? What would you say was the "key" to their success as a leader?

In this case its Mike Tomlin- what is his key to his success as a leader?

harrison'samonster
03-13-2013, 11:52 PM
that's tough. I would say personally I like the way Tomlin carries himself. Some people think he's got a "deer in the headlight" expression, but I don't see it at all. He's got an intense look, and he's level headed (I really appreciate that).

Also, people complain about him using typical "coach-speak" during press conferences, but I don't see it that way either. Based on the fact that everybody who talks to him in one-on-one situtations say he is extremely knowledgeable about the game, I see it more as he won't comment on things until he gathers all the facts and makes an objective conclusion. He doesn't jump to conclusions just for the media or even for the fans.

Another thing is he is always positive, almost Dick Vermeil-like. It might not make much of a difference when you see him on camera, and especially when you're losing, but having that person grounded in reality really helps to work through problems and do what it is you do. My own boss is like that and it's something I admire.

tony hipchest
03-14-2013, 12:11 AM
today willie colon and derick brooks (won sb ring with tomlin in TB and is a good friend) talked about tomlin on sirius radio. heres what willie had to say when brooks asked him what made his such a good coach (and i will paraphrase)-

"he is a players coach. total open door policy. he wants to hear what you have to say and he is not afraid to tell you what you may not want to hear. he'll tell you you are stinking it up, point blank. if there is a problem he will cut through the chase and tell you how to address it. no beating around the bush. straight shooter."

tomlin is young. he can relate with the guys and the guys can certainly relate with him even though he is an authority figure.

you hear about so many nfl players who have refered to their coach like a "father figure". thats not tomlin. maybe an older brother, or an older homie, but he is still to young to replace lebeau as "coach dad".... which i think is a good thing for this team as long as lebeau is around.

i think another strong point of his leadership is he is not afraid to delegate authority, and take resposnibility if things go wrong. = true leader.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-14-2013, 12:12 AM
She probably has some text from the course, but there is a book from Bryant Cratty on sport psychology that references some of the following info.

-Ogilivie et al states hight level coaches are emotionallly mature, independane dna hard and realistic in their outlooks.

Some data suggests that less authoritarian coaches are more approachable by athletes and forge better relationships with them.

Loy and colleagues observed that a coach who is willing to take rasonable risks and is intellingent, but not to0 conservative is more willing to be innovative. I think Tomlin's idea of making cut ups of practices before the 2007 playoffs to emphasize returning the football for TD on INT's shows innovation.

Athletes who resemble coaches in physhological makeup may be more will understood and motivated by the coaches. Tomlin being a former WR and William and Mary lends to this theory of how he can relate to their anxiety of performance, desire to succeed or avoid failure.

Good luck to her in the paper. lots of stuff to put down and I am sure there are references other than what I have cited in the psych literature.