PDA

View Full Version : Bernard Pollard released

jacobo
03-13-2013, 10:50 AM
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-baltimore-ravens-release-bernard-pollard-20130313,0,3298908.story

woooow

what the hell is happening

SteelersCanada
03-13-2013, 10:56 AM
They're fucking falling apart and I'm loving every minute of it.

Are they trying to put themselves in the Clowney sweepstakes? If so, they're doing a pretty good job of it.

RavenManiac
03-13-2013, 12:41 PM
I think Ozzie is hitting the sauce, lol.

There is virtually no cap savings with this move, the dead money is nearly the same as the savings. Pollard is 28 years old, and we extended him before 2012, lol.

The conspiracy theory is that Pollard was very vocal in the near-mutiny Harbaugh faced in November after calling for a an extra full pad practice while the team was losing and in free fall. And with Lewis gone, and Reed likely gone, a guy like Pollard may have stepped into the void and 'corrupted' the younger players with his lack of respect for authority.

I am not sure I buy it, but there doesn't seem to be any other sensible reason for this release other than the team had some kind of problem with him.

Leach will be next, I suspect.

NSMaster56
03-13-2013, 01:05 PM
Here's the thing that Ravens fans should be most worried about:

No matter the overturn the last 15+ years, Ray-Ray was the leader of the team. Now there's a seemingly infinite power vacuum as Baltimore cleans house.

Unless Ed Reed re-signs, who's going to 'step up' and be the 'emotional leader' of the team? Suggs? Ngata? *gulp* Joe Flacco???

As Pittsburgh fans can attest, making a young (overpaid) QB the 'leader' of your [once] defense-first minded team can create problems.

The Ravens can make up for the loss in talent, but the loss of all the 'leadership' is what may very well kill them.

Vis
03-13-2013, 02:28 PM
“Mutiny” may have been a factor in Pollard release
Posted by Mike Florio on March 13, 2013, 2:18 PM EDT
AFC Championship - Baltimore Ravens v New England Patriots Getty Images

A string of surprising moves in Baltimore extended on Wednesday to a player who supposedly was safe.

Safety Bernard Pollard is out, and everyone is wondering why.

As one league source said in response to the news, “Three teams in how many years. Soon four. What does that tell you?”

Another source says that Pollard has a reputation for being outspoken, for complaining, and for drawing too much attention to himself. He wears on a team, with his talent keeping him around for a second year or third year.

More specifically, we’re now getting the clear impression that last year’s incident that, as reported by Mike Silver of Yahoo! Sports, was “practically a mutiny,” has contributed to the departure of Pollard — and could result in more players being purged.

And he’s where it gets really interesting. (Or at least less uninteresting.) Silver specifically mentioned Pollard and Ed Reed as instigators of the mutiny.

Coincidentally, we’re now getting indications that the Ravens don’t want Reed back.

So while coach John Harbaugh handled a difficult situation very well at the time (as evidenced by the team’s Super Bowl trophy), it looks like Harbaugh may have decided that, at the appropriate time, he’ll make sure it doesn’t happen again.

SteelersCanada
03-13-2013, 02:32 PM
But, I thought John Harbaugh was a much better coach than Tomlin. I thought John was the epitome of excellence in the NFL, and Tomlin was just average and could only win with "Cowher's players".

His own players didn't want to play for him.

harrison'samonster
03-13-2013, 02:46 PM
I think Ozzie is hitting the sauce, lol.

There is virtually no cap savings with this move, the dead money is nearly the same as the savings. Pollard is 28 years old, and we extended him before 2012, lol.

The conspiracy theory is that Pollard was very vocal in the near-mutiny Harbaugh faced in November after calling for a an extra full pad practice while the team was losing and in free fall. And with Lewis gone, and Reed likely gone, a guy like Pollard may have stepped into the void and 'corrupted' the younger players with his lack of respect for authority.

I am not sure I buy it, but there doesn't seem to be any other sensible reason for this release other than the team had some kind of problem with him.

Leach will be next, I suspect.

Leach would be devastating. I'd take him any day.

Fire Haley
03-13-2013, 04:00 PM
Ravens fans are in full meltdown panic mode

Ladies & gentlemen, please give a warm welcome to your World Champion Baltimore Marlins!

Buddha Bus
03-13-2013, 04:05 PM
Ravens fans are in full meltdown panic mode

It sure is a thing of beauty, isn't it?

They barely get a chance to celebrate the SB win and they are already bemoaning how terrible they are/will be. :sofunny:

JonM229
03-13-2013, 04:55 PM
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/549786_10151296194401086_1014016079_n.jpg

BleedPurple
03-13-2013, 04:56 PM
It sure is a thing of beauty, isn't it?

They barely get a chance to celebrate the SB win and they are already bemoaning how terrible they are/will be. :sofunny:

:coffee: We have a saying in Baltimore, "In Oz We Trust".

The Wiz will take care of the franchise, as always.

2 years ago we lost:

Le'Ron McClain
Willis McGahee
Derrick Mason
Todd Heap
Kelly Gregg
Donte Stallworth
Josh Wilson
Jared Gaither
Dawan Landry

and the sky was falling. Oh wait, nevermind, AFC championship game, one play from the superbowl. Every one of those guys go on to do precisely nothing, except Willis who got a starting job in Denver and had a nice season.

Just this past year, we lost:

Jarrett Johnson
Cory Redding
Ben Grubbs
Haruki Nakamura
Tom Zbikowski

And once again, we were going to have no pass rush, a porous line, league last secondary, and finish last in the division-- oh wait, superbowl champs.

I do not like the Flacco deal or the roster moves we have been forced to make in general, but excuse me if I don't concede the season just yet. A lot of my fellow fans are in panic mode though, for sure; just don't mistake fan panic for any real peril to the franchise.

Buddha Bus
03-13-2013, 04:56 PM
:toofunny:

Buddha Bus
03-13-2013, 04:57 PM
:coffee: We have a saying in Baltimore, "In Oz We Trust".

The Wiz will take care of the franchise, as always.

2 years ago we lost:

Le'Ron McClain
Willis McGahee
Derrick Mason
Todd Heap
Kelly Gregg
Donte Stallworth
Josh Wilson
Jared Gaither
Dawan Landry

and the sky was falling. Oh wait, nevermind, AFC championship game, one play from the superbowl.

Just this past year, we lost:

Jarrett Johnson
Cory Redding
Ben Grubbs
Haruki Nakamura
Tom Zbikowski

And once again, we were going to have no pass rush, a porous line, league last secondary, and finish last in the division-- oh wait, superbowl champs.

I do not like the Flacco deal or the roster moves we have been forced to make in general, but excuse me if I don't concede the season just yet. A lot of my fellow fans are in panic mode though, for sure; just don't mistake fan panic for any real peril to the franchise.

I'll mistake whatever I want with whatever I want! :flap:

BleedPurple
03-13-2013, 05:02 PM
I'll mistake whatever I want with whatever I want! :flap:

lol :drink:

Buddha Bus
03-13-2013, 05:03 PM
lol :drink:

Back atcha! :drink:

JonM229
03-14-2013, 11:18 AM
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/254506_10151426282114504_959049978_n.jpg

Fire Haley
03-14-2013, 11:40 AM
fucking awesome pic!

TRH
03-14-2013, 11:56 AM
Here's the thing that Ravens fans should be most worried about:

As Pittsburgh fans can attest, making a young (overpaid) QB the 'leader' of your [once] defense-first minded team can create problems.

The Ravens can make up for the loss in talent, but the loss of all the 'leadership' is what may very well kill them.

All upper-tier (which Ben is part of) QB's on a franchise level - in this day and age - are paid THE big contract. It's only going to get worse. Wait until next year when Aaron Rogers is due. It will make avg Joe's like Flacco (no pun intended) go even up higher in value.
In Flacco's case, he IS getting overpaid and i can see them not being able to keep a couple guys - but it appears they're binging and purging the entire team. Almost seems not unlike the Florida Marlins a few years back the year after they won the World Series, they dismantled to almost "pony league" caliber.

NSMaster56
03-14-2013, 01:49 PM
It's a damned shame that I can't thank JonM's post more than once!

lololololol