PDA

View Full Version : Steelers interested in Michigan State RB Le'Veon Bell

Hawaii 5-0
03-13-2013, 05:44 PM
James C Wexell ‏@jimwexell:

Steelers have full contingent at Michigan State pro day looking at RB Le'Veon Bell, i'm thinking 3rd-rounder -- youngin at 21 years of age

https://twitter.com/jimwexell

Fire Haley
03-13-2013, 05:47 PM
this was in there too

#Steelers looking at 1st-round ILB who can actually run.

teegre
03-13-2013, 05:49 PM
this was in there too

Is that real?... or, are you making a joke about Foote?

SteelersCanada
03-13-2013, 05:55 PM
I don't know if this is real or not, so grain of salt:

"@joerexrode: Mike Tomlin took Dion Sims and Le'Veon Bell to dinner last night in East Lansing."

Hawaii 5-0
03-13-2013, 05:57 PM
this was in there too

yeah, Wexell really likes Arthur Brown from Kansas St...

SteelersCanada
03-13-2013, 06:01 PM
Steelers show interest as Spartans take part in pro day

Written by
Joe Rexrode
Detroit Free Press

EAST LANSING — Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin sure seems to like Michigan State players.

A year after taking quarterback Kirk Cousins out to dinner on the eve of MSU's pro day, Tomlin did the same Tuesday night, dining in East Lansing with running back Le'Veon Bell and tight end Dion Sims. The Steelers didn't draft Cousins, of course, but Bell and Sims both would seem to be options for a team that plays a hard-nosed, physical style like the Spartans do.

"Hopefully they pull the trigger," said Bell, who used today's pro day mostly to show off his hands and route-running abilities in receiving drills.

Bell, Sims and Will Gholston, the three MSU players who left early for the draft, all took part in portions of today's drills. Running back Larry Caper, offensive lineman Chris McDonald, cornerback Mitchell White, defensive tackle Anthony Rashad White and kicker Dan Conroy all took part. Two previously departed Spartans, kicker Brett Swenson and long snapper Alex Shackleton also participated.

Bell said he agrees with what many analysts said after the NFL scouting combine last month in Indianapolis -- that he is the top running back in the draft. He said he has individual interviews set up with "eight or nine" teams in the near future.

A total of 38 NFL people, representing 29 of the 32 teams in the league, showed up for MSU's pro day.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20130313/GW01/303130039/Steelers-show-interest-Spartans-take-part-pro-day?nclick_check=1

tmacsteelerfan
03-13-2013, 06:07 PM
yeah, Wexell really likes Arthur Brown from Kansas St...

From what I've seen from Brown he'd appear to give us great depth at the LB position. Some sites list him as an ILB, some as an OLB.

I got to see him live in Kansas State's shalacking of WVU last season and he made noise with an interception of #1 QB prospect Geno, and 5 solo tackles on a pretty explosive group of WR's and RB's. The man is fast for a linebacker, his speed combined with his size made him look like a safety from the stands. The only thing is, ILB in the first isn't necessary IMO.

Fire Haley
03-13-2013, 06:14 PM
Is that real?... or, are you making a joke about Foote?

it was in Wexells tweets, which you would have noticed if you clicked on the link in the 1st post on this thread like you were supposed to...

yes, I never lie

Fire Haley
03-13-2013, 06:22 PM
speaking of twitter scuttlebutt

https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/2306034811/iv60oc1fcfo5onx4benh_normal.jpeg
Aditi Kinkhabwala‏@AKinkhabwalaSteelers' Mike Tomlin AND Kevin Colbert were at Florida's Pro Day yesterday. Were they looking at safety Matt Elam?

https://twitter.com/AKinkhabwala

I hear Aditi baby likes to party

SteelersCanada
03-13-2013, 06:30 PM
Aditi Kinkhabwala‏@AKinkhabwalaSteelers' Mike Tomlin AND Kevin Colbert were at Florida's Pro Day yesterday. Were they looking at safety Matt Elam?

This might make Teegre's day.

teegre
03-13-2013, 06:30 PM
it was in Wexells tweets, which you would have noticed if you clicked on the link in the 1st post on this thread like you were supposed to...

yes, I never lie

I didn't know that I was "supposed" to click on a link, in someone's else's post, in order to understand your post. (I rarely click on any links.) :noidea:

I just figured you were making a joke about Foote. My bad. Next time I'll click on Hawaii 5-0's links before responding to your posts. :coffee:

teegre
03-13-2013, 06:32 PM
speaking of twitter scuttlebutt

https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/2306034811/iv60oc1fcfo5onx4benh_normal.jpeg

https://twitter.com/AKinkhabwala

I hear Aditi baby likes to party

Now THAT is a tweet!!! :tt04:

teegre
03-13-2013, 06:32 PM
This might make Teegre's day.

Yes... yes it did. :tt04:

SteelersCanada
03-13-2013, 06:34 PM
Yes... yes it did. :tt04:

With the rise of Cyprien and Reid dropping into the second, Elam might be there at 48. You excited? I am.

:thumbsup:

Fire Haley
03-13-2013, 06:38 PM
I didn't know that I was "supposed" to click on a link, in someone's else's post, in order to understand your post. (I rarely click on any links.)

just messing with you..... ha ha

if you clicked on Aditi's link you would see...

Like drinks neat, Springsteen loud and goldfish crackers everywhere.

she's a freak, I bet

TheVet
03-13-2013, 06:44 PM
I stopped clicking on Mendenhall's tweets, and I immediately became smarter.

Just saying.

teegre
03-13-2013, 06:54 PM
With the rise of Cyprien and Reid dropping into the second, Elam might be there at 48. You excited? I am.

:thumbsup:

Man... if he was there at 48... wow!!! I would be ecstatic... akin to 2004, when BB dropped to #11.

That said... I just don't see him getting past Cincinnati at 37. I'm thinking go after him... go after him hard. Trade up to 36 (Detriot likes trading with their former GM: Colbert), and get the guy that we -er- the guy that Iwant. LOL

Excited... so excited!!!

teegre
03-13-2013, 06:58 PM
Solely from this thread, here is what I see as being the top three picks:

R1 - ILB, Arthur Brown
R2 - SS, Matt Elam
R3 - RB, Le'Veon Bell

Hmmm... not a bad mock. I do not get Lemonier... hmmm... but, I do get Elam. Elam... uh... SOLD!!!

teegre
03-13-2013, 07:02 PM

she's a freak, I bet

That's assuming that I know how to read a tweet. I am a luddite AND a curmudgeon. :wink02:

But, Yes, give her some scotch sans ice, play "Dancing in the Dark", and get her the Happy Meal at McDonald's... and one is golden. LOL

Hawaii 5-0
03-13-2013, 07:08 PM

R1 - ILB, Arthur Brown
R2 - SS, Matt Elam
R3 - RB, Le'Veon Bell

Hmmm... not a bad mock. I do not get Lemonier... hmmm... but, I do get Elam. Elam... uh... SOLD!!!

I would LOVE Elam and Bell in the 2nd and 3rd round, but in my opinion 1(17) is way too high to draft Arthur Brown.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
03-13-2013, 07:10 PM
Update on Aaron Dobson he ran a 4.4 a this po day and a 4.2 on second attempt.

If we could get bell and Dobson I'd be very happy.

teegre
03-13-2013, 07:12 PM
I would LOVE Elam and Bell in the 2nd and 3rd round, but in my opinion 1(17) is way too high to draft Arthur Brown.

Oh... I agree. I was just using these tweets.

If R2 & R3 are Elam & Bell, R1 should be: OLB, ILB, or a pass-catcher.

tmacsteelerfan
03-13-2013, 07:13 PM

R1 - ILB, Arthur Brown
R2 - SS, Matt Elam
R3 - RB, Le'Veon Bell

If we manage to get Elam in the 2nd, and Bell in the 3rd, I wouldn't mind breeding a first rounder. Especially with the upside of Brown.

But with the Dolphins signing Mike Wallace I bet we'll have the option to select Patterson. I really feel like with Patterson we can put him in the exact same role as Wallace from day one, and hopefully he can be our big average guy this season, except with more size and potential, but obviously much more raw. There's just too many options for anybody to predict that first pick, which makes me super excited for this years draft.

Can't it just be April already!?

Hawaii 5-0
03-13-2013, 07:14 PM
Update on Aaron Dobson he ran a 4.4 a this po day and a 4.2 on second attempt.

If we could get bell and Dobson I'd be very happy.

at 6'3' 210 lbs, Dobson moved himself firmly into the 2nd round with those 40 times.

Dobson in the 2nd, Bell in the 3rd...

teegre
03-13-2013, 07:16 PM
If we manage to get Elam in the 2nd, and Bell in the 3rd, I wouldn't mind breeding a first rounder. Especially with the upside of Brown.

But with the Dolphins signing Mike Wallace I bet we'll have the option to select Patterson. I really feel like with Patterson we can put him in the exact same role as Wallace from day one, and hopefully he can be our big average guy this season, except with more size and potential, but obviously much more raw. There's just too many options for anybody to predict that first pick, which makes me super excited for this years draft.

Can't it just be April already!?

Exactly. Is it going to be Patterson? Eiffert? Ansah? Allen? Austin?

So many options. If it's Elam & Bell, then I'd take the BAP at any other position (except for punter... I think R1 might be a little too high for a punter).

teegre
03-13-2013, 07:17 PM
at 6'3' 210 lbs, Dobson moved himself firmly into the 2nd round with those 40 times.

Dobson in the 2nd, Bell in the 3rd...

Sooo... uh... Elam... in R1? :wink02:

SteelersCanada
03-13-2013, 07:21 PM
It has to be OLB in the first, guys. It just has to be.

R1. Mingo / Ansah
R2. Elam
R3. Bell / Lattimore

PhantomJB93
I like Le'veon Bell, but he seems like somebody that's going to go earlier than everyone is projecting him. I don't really know why but I have a feeling he won't be there when we pick in the third...if we like him enough I wouldn't be surprised to see him taken in the second.

Hawaii 5-0
Sooo... uh... Elam... in R1? :wink02:

sure, trade down and still land Elam and pick up another 2nd or 3rd round draft choice in the process. :thumbsup:

Steel_Bus_24
03-13-2013, 07:24 PM
we're not getting Elam in R2 just sitting as is on the board....

Hawaii 5-0
03-13-2013, 07:33 PM
we're not getting Elam in R2 just sitting as is on the board....

WalterFootball has Elam going at 2(51) to the Redskins, so anything is possible...

2 (51) Washington Redskins: Matt Elam, S, Florida

Here's some much-needed help for the Redskins' secondary, as both safety positions need to be addressed. Brandon Meriweather cannot be relied upon to stay healthy, and it's not like he was a Pro Bowl talent anyway. Madieu Williams, meanwhile, needs to be upgraded because he's not any good.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2013_2.php

WokeUpWithaWoodley
03-13-2013, 07:37 PM
sure, trade down and still land Elam and pick up another 2nd or 3rd round draft choice in the process. :thumbsup:

I'd be happy with that and get bell, Dobson, hodges with those picks

teegre
03-13-2013, 07:45 PM

So, whatyersayin' is: '

31. S, Matt Elam
48. OLB, Corey Lemonier
60. RB, Le'Veon Bell
R3. WR, Aaron Dobson

Hawaii 5-0
03-13-2013, 08:12 PM
So, whatyersayin' is: '

31. S, Matt Elam
48. OLB, Corey Lemonier
60. RB, Le'Veon Bell
R3. WR, Aaron Dobson

I'm actually working on an even better trade down scenario than that, I should have it ready by tomorrow...:drink:

SteelersCanada
03-13-2013, 08:22 PM
I feel like this is relevant -

-zEJ5cTI4CE

If you don't like Kanye, I'd mute the volume. That being said, the spin at 0:18 is pretty unreal.

teegre
03-13-2013, 08:35 PM
I feel like this is relevant -

-zEJ5cTI4CE

If you don't like Kanye, I'd mute the volume. That being said, the spin at 0:18 is pretty unreal.

Who doesn't like Kanye???

Well... I mean... except for George Bush.

Hawaii 5-0
03-13-2013, 08:53 PM
Who doesn't like Kanye???

Well... I mean... except for George Bush.

and Taylor Swift...:wink02:

SteelersCanada
03-13-2013, 08:58 PM
and Taylor Swift...:wink02:

I'mma letchu finish Hawaii, but this is the best interview of all time.

054wMZuv8xg

In all seriousness, he's just a well spoken kid that wants his recognition after being prejudged. Him and Lattimore are neck and neck for best RB in the draft and I think it'll honestly come down to either Elam or Bell in the second round because one of them won't be there in the third.

pczach
03-13-2013, 09:20 PM
The kid is a beast. At times, it was like a man playing with boys. By all accounts, he's a good kid with a real desire to be great. I think he'll make whoever drafts him very happy they did.

steelax04
03-14-2013, 02:24 PM

she's a freak, I bet

Well, she does have kink in her name.

bubbletownwr88
03-14-2013, 05:03 PM
I came here to voice my displeasure if they Steelers drafting him but after watching these two videos of him i stand corrected. I know it was a highlight video but this kid at least looks like a straight beast. and seems like he can run away from people as well.

pczach
03-14-2013, 06:06 PM
I came here to voice my displeasure if they Steelers drafting him but after watching these two videos of him i stand corrected. I know it was a highlight video but this kid at least looks like a straight beast. and seems like he can run away from people as well.

He reminds you of a bigger version of Mendenhall, but he runs with a nastiness that Mendy didn't have naturally. He will flat out run over and through any linebacker or saftey that doesn't bring it. Physical player that's faster than you think because of his size.

LVSteelersfan
03-14-2013, 09:18 PM
Exactly. Is it going to be Patterson? Eiffert? Ansah? Allen? Austin?

So many options. If it's Elam & Bell, then I'd take the BAP at any other position (except for punter... I think R1 might be a little too high for a punter).

Ahh. Punters get no love around here. :chuckle:

LVSteelersfan
03-14-2013, 09:23 PM
That spin move will never get him anywhere in the NFL. Queue up the Mendenhall lowlights.

Hawaii 5-0
03-14-2013, 10:15 PM
Are Michigan State Prospects Bell And Sims On The Pittsburgh Steelers Radars?

Mar 14th, 2013 by Dominic Di Tolla

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/58/files/2013/03/6888438-300x199.jpg

Yesterday, some representatives of the Steelers attended Michigan State’s Pro Day. While it was not exactly a shock to see some of Pittsburgh’s employees at a major college Pro Day like the Spartans’, Head Coach Mike Tomlin definitely wanted to get to know two of Michigan State’s draft-eligible prospects better: Running Back Le’Veon Bell and Tight End Dion Sims.

According to the Detroit Free-Press, Tomlin, along with two other members of Pittsburgh’s staff, actually went out to dinner with Bell and Sims on the night before their workout sessions. In fact, Sims had this to say to the Free-Press this about his meal with Tomlin:

We laughed a lot, joked a lot, shared some personal stuff

Unlike Sims, Bell had actually met Tomlin before their Tuesday outing, in fact he told the Free-Press how:

I [Bell] actually met with Mike Tomlin at the combine and talked with him. I know what he thinks of me; he thinks I’m a great player. I think I impressed him today. So I’m just trying to help my cause. Hopefully they pull the trigger. You never know.

Of the two players, Bell would definitely be the prospect who could help the Steelers the most as they try to rebuild. Not only does Pittsburgh lack a clear-cut starter at the position, they are transitioning to a Zone-Blocking scheme under new Offensive Line Coach Jack Bicknell Jr..

After two seasons of sharing the load with other backs (combined 1,553 Rush Yards, 21 TD’s), Bell broke out big last year. Due to the fact that Kirk Cousins went to the N.F.L., the Spartans’ passing game was anemic. Thus, Michigan State’s Offense was largely based around the bruising Back who shouldered the ground-game load over the entire 2012 campaign. Overall, Bell carried the ball 382 times for 1,793 Yards and 12 TD’s, and did so as he faced 8 and 9 man Boxes each and every week.

While Bell is known more for his running, the most underrated part of his game is his hands. During his final two collegiate seasons, the former Spartan caught 67 passes for 434 Yards and 1 TD. Granted, Bell is not going to make anybody forget about Marshall Faulk as a pass-catcher, especially down the field or positioned in the slot. Yet Le’Veon’s soft hands, and his ability to be used as a weapon in the Screen game are nice assets for any Offense to have at their disposal.

The biggest questions Le’Veon must face however as he transitions to the pro game will deal with his straight-line speed and his initial burst once he gets his hands on the ball. Bell ran a 4.6 40 Yard-Dash at The Combine (he did not run at his Pro Day), which is good for a player his size (6’1” 229 lbs. currently), but is definitely not considered to be game-breaking speed.

Thankfully for Bell, he has a great amount of agility for a player with his frame, and posseses some experience as a Zone-scheme runner from his college days. The Running Back put up solid numbers in the 20-Yard Shuttle (4.24 Sec.) and 3-Cone Drill (6.75 Sec.) at The Combine, and finished the 60-Yard Shuttle in 11.75 seconds. Bucky Brooks of NFL.com is a big fan of Le’Veon, and from what I have seen of the Running Back (here and here), I like how well he used his vision to set up blocks and made some savvy and necessary cuts when the Spartans ran Zone plays.

While Dion Sims is a much more raw prospect than Bell in terms of his overall playing experience, he is still a player who could intrigue the Steelers’ Front Office in the middle Rounds of the Draft. Although I do not believe that Pittsburgh will be in the market for a Tyler Eifert or a Zach Ertz, the Coaches and Scouts might be willing to take a chance on a developmental, yet athletic prospect early on Day 3 like the former Spartan Tight End.

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/58/files/2013/03/6708784-300x222.jpg

Sims possesses a unique combination of quickness and athleticism for a player of his size (6’5” 262 lbs.). Dion ran his 40 Yard Dash in 4.75 Seconds, and even posted a Vertical Jump of 35 Inches! Like Bell, Sims posted most of his better numbers at The Combine, but he did show off his strength as he improved his Bench Press numbers from 22 to 26 at his Pro Day.

While Sims is an athletically gifted player, he has only played in three collegiate seasons, and has sustained his fair share of injuries during said span. The Tight End played a chunk of the 2011 season with a broken hand, and missed 3 Games last season due to an ankle injury.

The former Spartan Tight End probably suffered just as much as Bell last year, if not more, because of Cousins’ departure to the N.F.L.. Although Sims set career-highs in Catches (36) and Yards (475), Michigan State’s reliance on Bell, and the lack of consistent Quarterback play held Sims back some. And this was especially when it came to the number of Touchdowns he recorded last year (2). Although Sims’ 2012 numbers were rather pedestrian, they still trumped his 2009 and 2011 stat-lines combined in Catches and Yards (23 Catches, 232 Yards), and one could see the improvements he made as a blocker and a pass-catcher.

Although he is a bit of a risk, Sims could be an athletic gamble worth taking on early Day 3 of the Draft. Plus, the Steelers could stand to acquire someone who has the ability to emerge as a viable weapon in “12” personnel (1 Back, 2 Tight Ends) sets, and in the Red Zone. Remember, Heath Miller is coming off of a bad knee injury, and Leonard Pope, David Paulson, and David Johnson are the only depth at the position right now for Pittsburgh. Thus, the Steelers could use a developmental “insurance policy” at the position just in case none of the players I alluded to above work out alongside Heath once he returns.

I for one am intrigued to see if the Steelers select one, both, or none of the Michigan State prospects I discussed previously. Tomlin and some of the Staff certainly appear to be interested, but we saw a similar situation play out last year when Pittsburgh’s Head Coach went out to dinner with Kirk Cousins before his Pro Day in East Lansing. Regardless of what happened last year though, the Steelers do have needs which both players could help to fill if they are indeed selected. Until “Draft Weekend” comes however, we will just have to wait to see if Pittsburgh’s interest is “real” or simply for “show.”

http://nicepickcowher.com/2013/03/14/are-michigan-state-stars-bell-and-sims-on-the-pittsburgh-steelers-radars/

Hawaii 5-0
03-15-2013, 07:48 PM
Bell says he has heard from NFL about Combine questions

Posted by Mike Florio on March 15, 2013

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/bell.jpg?w=250

The league isn’t talking about its investigation regarding inappropriate questions posed by teams to players at the Scouting Combine. But that doesn’t stop the players involved from talking.

Michigan State running back Le’Veon Bell tells The Erik Kuselias Show on NBC Sports Radio that he has heard from the NFL regarding questions that were posed to him regarding sexuality.

“I’ve been contacted about it,” Bell said in an interview that will air at 8:48 p.m. ET or thereabouts. “I haven’t finished the interview yet but you know, I plan on doing that either today or tomorrow.”

Like many young men who “like girls,” Bell doesn’t see the problem with being asked something as obvious as, “Do you breathe air?”

“I mean, there’s nothing wrong with the question,” Bell said. “You know, I feel like the whole thing kind of got blown out of proportion. You know, those guys are just kind of, they were asking me, was I a party type of guy. I told them no. I told them that I didn’t drink. I wasn’t a smoker. You know so those guys start trying to kind of joking around like, ‘Well, do you like girls and being around girls or women?’ You know, kind of jokingly or whatever.”

Asking the question jokingly is the best way to ensure the player won’t see anything wrong with the question. In any other setting, for any other type of employment, questions of that nature would be forbidden — and anyone asking those questions would be fired.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/15/bell-says-he-has-heard-from-nfl-about-combine-questions/

WokeUpWithaWoodley
03-15-2013, 08:17 PM
Good kid, power, decent speed, and has been very durable plz draft him.

Hawaii 5-0
03-16-2013, 08:40 PM
Terron Armstead, Barrett Jones among potential NFL draft steals

By Gil Brandt
Senior Analyst
Published: March 13, 2013

By this point in the year, many of us have become quite familiar with the big-name prospects, the Luke Joeckels and Eric Fishers of the world who project as first-round picks and immediate-impact rookies. But what about the guys who aren't being talked about? What about the firmly under-the-radar prospects who are likely to be picked in the second and third rounds of the 2013 NFL Draft?

As I wrote last week, this draft class is underrated and much better than many think. This sentiment applies to the depth that can be found after Day 1.

Teams seem to know this. Just look at what's happening at pro days; I've never seen as much activity by coaches at these events as I've seen this year. Brian Winters, for example, is a relatively unknown offensive line prospect from Kent State who must look pretty good to NFL folks, as he had seven line coaches from six different teams work him out at his pro day.

With that in mind, I've put together a list (in alphabetical order) of 12 second- or third-round picks who are going to outperform their draft positions. These are the Russell Wilson-type guys who, after they've been in the league, are going to draw comments like, 'Gee, he should have been drafted higher.' "

First, a disclaimer: This list isn't meant to be all-inclusive. There are many likely second- and third-rounders -- like Winters -- who are going to make an impact but aren't one of the 12 named in this piece. This was merely a "get to know you" exercise meant to illustrate the sheer depth of talent that will be available come April.

Terron Armstead, OT, Arkansas-Pine Bluff
Armstead is a very good athlete who has everything needed to be a starter by his second year in the NFL. He even got involved in a skill-position capacity last season, handling the ball on a tight end screen against Jackson State; he is versatile enough to contribute at tight end or defensive end. He's also a really smart kid.

Le'Veon Bell, RB, Michigan State
Bell worked out well and ran faster than people thought he would at the NFL Scouting Combine. He also posted a 6.75-second three-cone drill, indicating good change-of-direction skills. Bell rushed for 1,793 yards last season, fifth-most in FBS college football. He needs to control his weight, but will be a starter. He reminds me somewhat of Chuck Muncie, except without the glasses.

Johnathan Franklin, RB, UCLA
Franklin finished his Bruins career with 4,403 yards, most in school history and fifth-most all time in the Pac-10/12. He had issues with fumbling early on in college, but that can always be corrected. I like players who have shown the kind of production he had while playing at a school like UCLA and in a conference like the Pac-12. Franklin, who has interned in the Los Angeles mayor's office, wants to be the mayor of L.A. someday.

Travis Frederick, C, Wisconsin
If you were to look at his picture in Wisconsin's media guide and his profile picture from the combine, you'd think you were looking at two different people; in the first photo, he's a clean-looking kid, and in the second, he looks like a mountain man. Frederick was the first offensive lineman to start a Wisconsin season opener as a true freshman. He has experience starting at center and left guard. He recorded just 21 reps in the bench press, but I can't detect any lack of strength in his play. Scouts say he's a better prospect than former Badgers lineman Kevin Zeitler, who started for the Cincinnati Bengals as a rookie last season.

Marquise Goodwin, WR, Texas
The thing I like about this guy is that almost immediately after competing in the long jump at the London Olympics last summer, he hopped on a plane back to Austin so he could get involved with the football team workouts as soon as possible. He's not as quick-footed as Tavon Austin, but Goodwin did have the combine's fastest time (4.27 seconds) in the 40-yard dash. Teams love speed; you can always teach a guy to catch the ball better, but you can't teach speed. Somebody is going to take a chance on Goodwin.

Barrett Jones, OG, Alabama
For some reason, Jones, who didn't work out at the combine because of a foot issue, isn't ranked all that highly by scouts. But any time a guy starts at Alabama for four years, there has to be something good about him. He might not be as strong as you would like, but he has long arms (34 inches). He's a lot like Jeff Saturday in that we're not talking about him much now, but when he retires in a decade or so, some team will be trying to figure out how to replace a very smart player. To put it simply, his man does not make plays against him. Jones won the Rimington Trophy, given to the nation's top center, last season.

Vance McDonald, TE, Rice
McDonald, who's from a small town in Texas, is a clutch player, securing first downs on 28 of 36 catches in 2012. He reminds me of another Rice product, tight end James Casey, who played well for the Houston Texans over the past four years before landing a deal with the Philadelphia Eagles on Tuesday. McDonald shocked everyone with how well he worked out at the combine; his numbers (4.69 40, 7.08-second three-cone) really catapulted his stock.

Denard Robinson, WR, Michigan
This guy has a magnetic personality; he's going to be a great team leader. Wherever he ends up playing, he'll be a very good return man. The former college signal-caller might even be useful taking a few snaps at quarterback in an option package or in short-yardage situations. I would try to draft the speedy Robinson as a cornerback, which is how he was recruited at one point by Michigan. He was dealing with an elbow injury at the combine, and it will take some time before he's back to 100 percent.

Brian Schwenke, C, Cal
Offensive linemen from Cal have done very well in the NFL in recent years; Mitchell Schwartz, who started for the Cleveland Browns as a rookie last season, is an example. Schwenke should continue the tradition. The first-team All-Pac-12 player is versatile, having started games at center and both guard spots. He posted good numbers at the combine, including 31 reps on the bench press and a 4.99 40. He's a good foot athlete.

Dion Sims, TE, Michigan State
Sims lost a significant amount of weight before his weigh-in at the combine. I like that; it shows dedication and control. Sims is a very good blocker with soft hands, collecting 59 catches for 707 yards and eight touchdowns in three seasons at Michigan State. For his size (262 pounds), his 40 time (4.75 seconds) was remarkable. He also practiced with the basketball team during his freshman year in East Lansing.

Jamar Taylor, CB, Boise State
Taylor had a very good combine, posting a 4.39 40, a 6.82 cone and a 4.06 short shuttle. Though his arms aren't very long, he does have jumping ability. With his speed and athleticism, he'll be capable of starting at cornerback as a rookie.

Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon State
Wheaton runs precise routes and has very good hands. He posted great numbers (4.45 40, 6.80-second three-cone and 37-inch vertical) at the combine. I think he'll be a starter and productive NFL player. Here's an amazing thing: Wheaton and Oregon's Dion Jordan, who is projected to be a top-10 pick, both played receiver at Chandler High School in Chandler, Ariz. Can you imagine having two players like that on one high school team?

Receivers Ryan Swope (Texas A&M) and Kenny Stills (Oklahoma) are two more guys who I think can outperform their draft positions, though I don't think they're going to be selected until the fourth round or so.

Follow Gil Brandt on Twitter @Gil_Brandt.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000150390/article/terron-armstead-barrett-jones-among-potential-steals-of-draft

austinfrench76
03-16-2013, 11:16 PM
Really liking this kid more and more. But, if we don't bring another back in soon we will have to go RB sooner than round 3.

austinfrench76
03-16-2013, 11:17 PM
But, I don't rule out us also grabbing him in round 3 if he is there.

Hawaii 5-0
03-17-2013, 06:56 PM
Former Michigan State tailback Le'Veon Bell believes he's 'best back in the draft'

By Mike Griffith | mgriffith@mlive.com
on March 14, 2013

http://media.mlive.com/spartans_impact/photo/12424315-large.jpeg

Former Michigan State tailback Le'Veon Bell used the Spartans' NFL Pro Day combine to catch passes and run the 60-yard shuttle that he did not partake in at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis.

EAST LANSING — It has been about two weeks since Bucky Brooks of the NFL.com proclaimed Michigan State's Le'Veon Bell as the top running back emerging in the upcoming draft class.

At least one person agrees with Brooks: Le'Veon Bell.

"I feel like I'm the best back in the draft,'' Bell said matter-of-factly after performing in front of representatives from 29 teams at the Spartans' Pro Day combine on Wednesday at the Duffy Daugherty Football Building.

"I can do everything,'' he said. "I can do things that the 200 and 205-pound backs do, and I'm 230.

"I feel like I'm the most complete back in the draft.''

NFLDraftscout.com, of the CBSsports.com website, has Bell ranked as the ninth running back and 126th player in its rankings last updated on March 8. Bell is listed as the No. 10 running back on NFL.com's "Draft Tracker.''

Bell's high self-appraisal drew no argument from his former coach, Michigan State's Mark Dantonio.

http://media.mlive.com/lansing/photo/2013/03/12417089-large.jpg

Le'Veon Bell catches a pass during the Michigan State University Football Pro Day at MSU's indoor practice facility on Wednesday afternoon, March 13, 2013.

Dantonio watched as Bell quite literally carried the Spartans to a school-record sixth consecutive bowl season, leading the Big Ten and finishing third in the nation in rushing.

In fact, the modest Dantonio has no issue with Bell tooting his own horn, either.

"You have to be confident, because it's a confident league,'' Dantonio said. "Just like playing at this level, you better be confident You're gonna have your ups and downs and successes and failures, but you better be able to line back up and play.

"This is real life, real football — I tell our guys all the time, it's not a video game,'' he said. "Our guys have played in front of big crowds, they have played in big games in big environments, and now they're expecting to do great things.''

The 229-pound Bell, who has shed 15 pounds since the end of the season, said he does't care with who or where he continues his career.

"I just want to show people I'm capable of playing anywhere, cold weather, warm weather, playing in any kind of weather doesn't bother me,'' Bell said. "I am comfortable with any scheme, power, inside or outside zone, I just let my instincts take over and just run.''

Bell said he met with four teams on Tuesday and two more on Wednesday.

"There are eight or nine teams, teams that need a running back, have been contacting me,'' Bell said. "I've been seeing where they're at, how they rate me, just communicating.''

Bell said he's confident he will contribute right away and make a name for himself.

"I've learned how to use my blockers to my advantage, I try to get consistent yardage and not lose yards,'' Bell said. "I take Arian Foster, I run like him a little bit, Steven Jackson, I'm more of his frame, Adrian Peterson of course, Chris Beanie Wells, they are all good backs of my size.''

Bell said once he decided to declare himself eligible for the draft, he hasn't looked back or regretted his decision.

"At the end of the day, I just felt like I was ready,'' he said. "There's not much more I needed to prove in college. I carried the load, caught the ball out if the backfield, did special teams.

"Coming back, getting another 300 hits on my body, I didn't think I needed that, and I felt ready for the NFL''

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2013/03/former_michigan_state_tailback.html

Hawaii 5-0
03-22-2013, 12:17 AM
DRAFT GRADES FOR TOP 10 BY POSITION - RUNNING BACKS

By Lance Zierlein
March 21, 2013

RUNNING BACK RANKINGS

Running Back School Round
Eddie Lacy Alabama 1st/2nd
Johnathan Franklin UCLA 2nd
Montee Ball Wisconsin 2nd
Giovanni Bernard North Carolina 3rd
Mike Gillislee Florida 3rd
Joseph Randle Oklahoma St. 3rd
Christine Michael Texas A&M 3rd/4th
Andre Ellington Clemson 3rd/4th
Stepfan Taylor Stanford 3rd/4th
Le'Veon Bell Michigan St. 4th

ANALYSIS

There is really solid depth at the running back position in my opinion. I don't see a back in this draft that I want to draft in the first round, but Eddie Lacy gets the closest to that. The problem with Lacy is that it feels like his value might be a little inflated based on the last game we saw him play (Notre Dame). There are some long-term durability concerns I've heard teams voice about him.

You can tell me that Johnathan Franklin isn't a big guy and I'll tell you that he plays much bigger than listed weight. Franklin is an extremely competitive runner who looks to get the most out of all of his carries and he's got the burst and long speed that compliments his toughness after first contact.

I'm not usually a fan of Big 10 RBs, but I do like Montee Ball. He's consistent, durable and productive and I like his running tempo and his ability to cash checks near the goal line. Giovani Bernard is smaller than he looks on tape and he runs behind his pads better than most 202 pound RBs will. I love his ability to make plays in space despite not having big speed and his return ability is a plus that teams will tap into early in his career.

Mike Gillislee really opened my eyes at the Senior Bowl practices where he showed me a little more speed to the perimeter than I thought he had and a just a little more wiggle. He's a straight-ahead runner who gets plus yardage and who would be a nice fit for teams who are serious about running the ball with a physical mindset.

I like Joseph Randle, but it is really hard to grade him since the Oklahoma State offense created so many open spaces for him to run through. I see burst and decent size and I think he's a good value where I have him slated.

Christine Michael has 2nd round talent, but his baggage might drag him down into the 3rd or 4th round range. He has recovered from his ACL injury and he has the top size/explosiveness combination of any back in this draft. The character is a legitimate concern though.

Andre Ellington is looking more and more like a third down back to me who can handle some backup reps. He's great as a pass catcher and pass protector and that is where his value lies. Stepfan Taylor will smack you and has the same no-nonsense attacking sensibilities that Gillislee has, but he just seems limited athletically. Le'Veon Bell is a bit of a wildcard. He looked like a classic Big 10 grinder, but his tests at combine show a little more athleticism. I don't always see it in pads though which is why I gave him this grade.

http://www.thesidelineview.com/columns/draft/draft-grades-top-10-position-running-backs

SteelersCanada
03-22-2013, 09:48 AM
Well, confidence is a good thing.

Hawaii 5-0
03-27-2013, 04:25 PM
I would love to see us draft Lattimore or Bell...

South Carolina's Marcus Lattimore applauded by scouts at pro day

Robert Klemko, USA TODAY Sports March 27, 2013

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/media/USATODAY/USATODAY/2013/03/27/ap-south-carolina-pro-day-football-4_3_r541_c540.jpg?729ef1a5e3c69f5da0197e57e2bd3dd3 fdfcd35f

Marcus Lattimore ran football drills indoors Wednesday at the University of South Carolina for representatives of all 32 NFL teams, his agent, Michael Perrett, told USA TODAY Sports. And when he was done showing off the progress in his surgically repaired knee, the room burst into applause.

"It was crazy," he told USA TODAY Sports when reacting to the ovation. "I did not expect that at all. Pretty much every scout came up to me and said that was amazing and inspiring."

Lattimore, who has been training and rehabilitating in Gulf Breeze, Fla., with orthopedic surgeon James Andrews, says he has visits scheduled with the New England Patriots and St. Louis Rams prior to next month's draft.

He plans on being ready to play by midseason, if not Week 1.

"The goal is to be ready," Lattimore says. "You never know what will happen. I'll probably have to slow down a little bit. No doubt if not the beginning of the season, (then) the middle of the season."

Lattimore performed 15 minutes of agility drills on a track-like surface Wednesday before catching passes at the stadium from current and former South Carolina quarterbacks during the school's pro day. Lattimore's camp originally wasn't sure if he needed to work out to improve or solidify his stock, but the running back insisted on it. He is projected as a mid-round choice despite having both his sophomore and junior seasons ended by knee injuries.

"I just wanted to do something before the draft, and I felt like this was good because I was just doing my rehab," he said. "My agent thought it was a good idea. He didn't feel it mattered if we did, but I wanted to do it."

In a February interview with USA TODAY Sports, Lattimore said he wanted his comeback to inspire athletes who face similar challenges. Andrews said Lattimore had cut the expected recovery time in half.

"I want to be an inspiration," Lattimore said. "To let people know that with hard work, and when you trust in God, you can come back from anything and do anything."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2013/03/27/marcus-lattimore-south-carolina-pro-day-applause-ovation/2025501/

pczach
03-27-2013, 04:33 PM
He's an awesome kid. I wish him the best.

Steelstoned1972
03-28-2013, 08:00 PM
I agree with whomever stated Bell may go higher than most say. It only takes one team to Love his potential. based on that fact. Id take him in the second. Im leaning on Effert in the first. fills two needs big tall target that can line tight or split out and create a mis match against smaller dbs or slower less agile lbs. I believe the copy cat league dictates he will go around the middle of the first round. In the 3rd round Id take perhaps Phillip Thomas , safety or Simon -lb. Cheers all. Im new to this forum. observe it daily though. the old steelers.com board is awol. So this is one of the few forums that has daily posts.

harrison'samonster
03-28-2013, 08:12 PM
I agree with whomever stated Bell may go higher than most say. It only takes one team to Love his potential. based on that fact. Id take him in the second. Im leaning on Effert in the first. fills two needs big tall target that can line tight or split out and create a mis match against smaller dbs or slower less agile lbs. I believe the copy cat league dictates he will go around the middle of the first round. In the 3rd round Id take perhaps Phillip Thomas , safety or Simon -lb. Cheers all. Im new to this forum. observe it daily though. the old steelers.com board is awol. So this is one of the few forums that has daily posts.

Welcome to the board! I like the TE in the first as well, but I think we can wait and get a good TE in later rounds instead.

Steelstoned1972
03-28-2013, 11:25 PM
It's tough when u need to fill so many holes. I don't think I'm sold on Patterson. Especially when there are lots of receivers who could help us. But u could also say we've found the majority of our better line backers later in rounds or as free agents. So I really don't have a problem with bpa, as long as it's a position of need.

casteeler
03-29-2013, 12:36 AM
The Steelers need a feature back week 1. Drafting a RB that is recovering from a serious injury would be ideal for a team that has a #1 back already so Lattimore seems like a risk that the Steelers shouldn't take. Imagine getting Eddie Lacy,Steadman Bailey and a physical TE in the draft! :thumbsup:

Rabbit
03-29-2013, 12:37 AM
I don't feel like we're in the right spot for Lacy, barring a trade. He's way too much of a reach at 17, but we can't really count on him being around for our second round pick, either.

casteeler
03-29-2013, 01:48 AM
I don't feel like we're in the right spot for Lacy, barring a trade. He's way too much of a reach at 17, but we can't really count on him being around for our second round pick, either.

At this point the Steelers are going to have to draft a RB that will be an every down back because they won't acquire one through FA, Redman and Dwyer aren't guys they can use on 1st and 2nd and long. Lacy might be worth some work,he looks to be the best RB in the draft

kan_t
03-29-2013, 01:53 AM
At this point the Steelers are going to have to draft a RB that will be an every down back because they won't acquire one through FA, Redman and Dwyer aren't guys they can use on 1st and 2nd and long. Lacy might be worth some work,he looks to be the best RB in the draft
Mainly because he ran behind the best OL in college.

Rabbit
03-29-2013, 02:04 AM
Yeah, I'm a big fan of Gio Bernard, Mike Gillislee, and Jonathan Franklin moreso than Lacy.

Steelstoned1972
03-29-2013, 06:39 AM
I like Lacy ...just don't know if I like to take him in the first . When we could have bell , Bernard , Franklin, or Gillisee in the 2ND or later.

CrickRat23
03-29-2013, 02:54 PM
I like Lacy ...just don't know if I like to take him in the first . When we could have bell , Bernard , Franklin, or Gillisee in the 2ND or later.

I am with you. I think there are better options in the 1st than Lacy. I think the Steelers need to go defense in the 1st round. I would go with a RB in the 2nd or 3rd.

desertsteel
03-29-2013, 03:13 PM
I don't know if this is real or not, so grain of salt:

"@joerexrode: Mike Tomlin took Dion Sims and Le'Veon Bell to dinner last night in East Lansing."

Isn't that an NCAA rules violation?! :rofl:

ebsteelers
03-29-2013, 04:14 PM
Isn't that an NCAA rules violation?! :rofl:

:rofl:
well they arent playing in any more college football games so i dont believe so..

might be worth it for clowney though haha

Hawaii 5-0
03-29-2013, 04:23 PM
:rofl:
well they arent playing in any more college football games so i dont believe so..

might be worth it for clowney though haha

someone needs to buy his Momma a house...:wink02:

teegre
03-30-2013, 02:39 AM
someone needs to buy his Momma a house...:wink02:

For Clowney, we should buy a house for his mom.... his aunt... his third cousin twice-removed...

Hawaii 5-0
03-30-2013, 02:55 AM
For Clowney, we should buy a house for his mom.... his aunt... his third cousin twice-removed...

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1231588!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/clowney3s-1-web.jpg

SteelersCanada
04-01-2013, 08:36 PM

R1 - ILB, Arthur Brown
R2 - SS, Matt Elam
R3 - RB, Le'Veon Bell

Hawaii just linked an article to BTSC about the Steelers' interest in Arthur Brown. That, combined with the fact that Mike and Colbert went to Florida's Pro Day to (in all likelihood) go scout Elam and took Bell out to dinner makes me think you have inside information.

Who's your source?!

What's crazy is these three guys might be our first three guys picked. I'm sold.

teegre
04-01-2013, 09:02 PM
Hawaii just linked an article to BTSC about the Steelers' interest in Arthur Brown. That, combined with the fact that Mike and Colbert went to Florida's Pro Day to (in all likelihood) go scout Elam and took Bell out to dinner makes me think you have inside information.

Who's your source?!

What's crazy is these three guys might be our first three guys picked. I'm sold.

My source: the magic eight-ball. :wink02:

Really though, I am really good at those logic puzzles (with the grids... Mr. Orange lives in the blue house on Brown Ave.). And, the draft is the ultimate logic puzzle.

Steelstoned1972
04-04-2013, 10:45 PM
Path to the draft just had Le'veon Bell on path to the draft tonight. The host questioned him about his dinner with the steelers. Hmmmmmmm. Is this a smoke screen or are they basically saying he's our guy in 2ND or 3Rd round ?

SteelersCanada
04-04-2013, 10:48 PM
Path to the draft just had Le'veon Bell on path to the draft tonight. The host questioned him about his dinner with the steelers. Hmmmmmmm. Is this a smoke screen or are they basically saying he's our guy in 2ND or 3Rd round ?

They didn't release that to the national media, though. A Michigan State writer released that and I didn't see that report anywhere else. I doubt it'd be a smokescreen as, if they wanted everyone to know they took Bell out to dinner, it would've been reported more widespread.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
04-05-2013, 03:01 AM
They didn't release that to the national media, though. A Michigan State writer released that and I didn't see that report anywhere else. I doubt it'd be a smokescreen as, if they wanted everyone to know they took Bell out to dinner, it would've been reported more widespread.

I hope he ordered a salad:chuckle:

I love bell and i want him I just want him to keep his weight down to put some speed with that size/power. Like he did for this draft process.

pczach
04-05-2013, 05:51 PM
He looked great on the set at nfl network. Still at 230. Says his natural weight is 230-235,and thats where he thinks he'll play at.

pczach
04-05-2013, 09:06 PM
He also said he was playing at 240-245 and above sometimes this past year. He put on extra weight knowing he was going to get plenty of carries and wanted the extra weight to take the pounding. Again, he looked lean and mean on the set, and the guys on the set commented on how great and mean he looked in person. He looks ready to unleash himself on the league.

ebsteelers
04-05-2013, 09:55 PM

Idk if he lasts to are spot in round 3 though would be my concern and second round seems a bit early.

BUT a trade down where we scoop up extra mid round picks could make it a possibly

Steel_Bus_24
04-05-2013, 10:23 PM
Idk if he lasts to are spot in round 3 though would be my concern and second round seems a bit early.

BUT a trade down where we scoop up extra mid round picks could make it a possibly

so many things to watch for on Draft day...this would be more fun if so much wasn't riding on this draft....lets hope the Steelers are doing their homework

Steelstoned1972
04-05-2013, 11:08 PM
I Have a feeling he is going in the 2ND , I believe his stock is rising. There are lots of rbs with similar skills and potential that are smaller. He has potential to be a 3 down back and he seems to be a humble person.

Steelstoned1972
04-05-2013, 11:16 PM

I'd be open to a trade down , so many needs , we need young inexpensive talent .

Hawaii 5-0
04-08-2013, 05:50 PM
NFL Draft Prospect Le’Veon Bell Dishes On His Dinner With Mike Tomlin

April 7, 2013

http://cbspittsburgh.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/bell.jpg?w=300

PITTSBURGH (93-7 The Fan) – Is former Michigan State running back Le’Veon Bell the best running back in the 2013 NFL Draft? Some draft experts think so.

Bell tells Troy Clardy what sets him apart on Sportsradio 93.7 The Fan.

Bell carried the Michigan State offense in 2012, rolling up nearly 1,800 rushing yards on 382 carries.

“The coaches wanted to get the ball into my hands, and I had more opportunities to make plays,” he said. “I’m going to take advantage of every opportunity I’m given, and keep working hard to get to a better position than I’m at now.”

The day before his pro day at Michigan State, Bell’s dinner guest was Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin.

“It’s been a great experience building relationships with coaches,” Bell said. “It was a great experience getting to know Tomlin, and talk to him. After you see him on TV all the time, it’s kind of surreal having dinner with him.”

When comparing himself to some current NFL running backs, Bell said, “I would say it’s a mixture of two guys. [Atlanta Falcons RB] Steven Jackson’s size and frame and speed, I compare to him. My running style compares to [Houston Texans RB] Arian Foster. He’s more of an upright runner, a zone runner, a one-cut-and-go guy. That’s who I pattern my game after.”

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2013/04/07/nfl-draft-prospect-leveon-bell-dishes-on-his-dinner-with-mike-tomlin/

Steel_Bus_24
04-08-2013, 05:57 PM
I hope we can find a way to snag him....

Even though Its probably not likely for us to trade down....if by chance we do, then I would think he would be one of the Steelers prime targets

Hawaii 5-0
04-08-2013, 06:35 PM
Sources: Le'Veon Bell to visit Jets, Cowboys, work out for Bucs, Jets, Broncos, Steelers, Cowboys

by Aaron Wilson of Scout.com, March 28, 2013

Is Michigan State junior running back Le'Veon Bell emerging as the most coveted running back in the NFL draft?

Bell has been called the best running back in the draft by Bucky Brooks and league sources are starting to echo that opinion.

Bell is drawing heavy NFL interest.

He has official visits with the New York Jets and Dallas Cowboys and private workouts from the Cowboys, Jets, Pittsburgh Steelers, Denver Broncos and Tampa Bay Buccaneers, according to league sources with knowledge of the situation.

He's drawing serious interest from the Steelers, Broncos, Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers, Green Bay Packers and the Cincinnati Bengals.

His campus Pro Day workout was attended by Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert, coach Mike Tomlin and running backs coach Kirby Wilson

The workout was also attended by Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden and Broncos running backs caoch Eric Studesville.

Bell is a big, punishing back at 6-foot-2, 230 pounds.

He rushed for 1,793 yards and 12 touchdowns as a junior and was named All-Big Ten Conference.

He averaged 4.7 yards per carry and caught 32 passes for 167 yards and a touchdown.

Bell has run the 40-yard dash in 4.56 seconds and has a 31 1/2 inch vertical leap and a 9-10 broad jump.

As a freshman, Bell rushed for 605 yards and eigh touchdowns.

As a sophomore, Bell rushed for 948 yards and 13 touchdowns.

Bell rushed for 1,333 yards and 21 touchdowns as a high school senior.

He was recruited as a safety by Ohio State, but went to the Spartans and thrived as a featured running back.

http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=2&cid=1278735&nid=6202895&fhn=1

Steel_Bus_24
04-08-2013, 06:42 PM
I think the question starts to become, do the Steelers like Bell enough to take him in the 2nd???

because its looking more and more like R3 would be too late for the Steelers

The Jets and the Broncos seem especially dangerous to snag him before us IMO

WokeUpWithaWoodley
04-08-2013, 07:01 PM
I think the question starts to become, do the Steelers like Bell enough to take him in the 2nd???

because its looking more and more like R3 would be too late for the Steelers

The Jets and the Broncos seem especially dangerous to snag him before us IMO

I agree. He won't last to us in round 3 so if we want him we need select him in the second round.

Rabbit
04-08-2013, 07:12 PM
If we spend a second round pick on Bell, I will be very upset.

Steelstoned1972
04-08-2013, 07:37 PM
I will not be upset if they pick him in the 2nd. My gut tells me we will be lucky if hes available at our 2nd selection. Too many scouts and teams showing heavy interest. He may not have elite speed( neither did emmit smith ) im not comparing him to emmit but what I am saying Ive read he ran routes very well , showed good hands , and agility. He s a 3 down back...with size. Name me one pro caliber player on Michigan states oline ? Compare that to Eddie Lacy he ran behind Warmack , jones , etc . I think he will have the most successful career out of all the backs in this draft . But I wouldnt be surprised if it were lacy , bernard , ellington, or michael that had a more successful career. Thats what makes the draft so fun. every one has their guy .

SteelersCanada
04-08-2013, 07:47 PM
If we go Vaccaro in the first (which is starting to look more and more likely) then we can afford to go either RB or WR in the second. I can see us going after Justin Hunter, DeAndre Hopkins, Da'Rick Rogers or Robert Woods if we decide to go receiver in the early rounds. Two, maybe three of those guys will be on the board at 48.

If we go RB, I'd prefer us to go Giovani Bernard in the early rounds. That kid is special.

Rabbit
04-08-2013, 07:56 PM
Chalk me up as a huge Gio Bernard fan as well. He, Franklin and Gillislee are my favorite backs in this draft.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
04-08-2013, 08:30 PM
I don't see the big hype in Bernard. Little to no power, for a speed back I don't see great acceleration, and for the steeler fan base hating on mendenhall for dancing in the backfield I see Bernard doing that a lot at the next level esp if he was behide our oline. He's tape doesn't jump out at me when I watch him.

A lot of us thought we would be going to a full on zbs next year but the coaches of said it will be a mix of zone blocking a man blocking. We need an all around back and bell might be the best all around.

As of now I have lacy,ball,bell,Bernard,Ellington,Franklin, gillislee, randle as the top backs (I might be forgetting a few )

Rabbit
04-08-2013, 08:39 PM
I liked Bernard more than Lattimore even before the latter's injury. All you have to do is watch his tape against NC State to see what dimensions he brings to a team.

Steelstoned1972
04-13-2013, 09:24 AM
Just read an article on my NFL app about 5 most overrated and underrated draft prospects. Bell was one of the 5 underrated. NFL coaches saying he could flourish in a zone blocking scheme. Still my fave back in this draft.

Hawaii 5-0
04-21-2013, 02:33 AM
Former Michigan State RB Le'Veon Bell too 'big and pretty' to go later than third round of NFL draft

By Gillian Van Stratt
on April 19, 2013

http://media.mlive.com/spartans_impact/photo/11792642-large.jpeg

Former Michigan State Spartan Le'Veon Bell's biggest hurdle has been proving to NFL scouts that he's a quick and pretty running back.

Having said that, it is the NFL draft we're talking about here, so predictability is far from the name of the game. But since impressing scouts as one of the best running backs at the scouting combine in February, Bell's stock has been on the rise.

In fact, ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay said Bell's combine performance was in the Top 3 of his position group. That didn't stop ESPN's KC Joyner from calling Bell one of his most overrated prospects.

But on Thursday, NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock expressed his supreme confidence in Bell's draft stock.

"I think Le'Veon Bell because of his size, his height, weight, speed, I don't see him getting out of the third round," Mayock said in a conference call. "I think he's too big and pretty."

Big was a characteristic Bell has had no problem convincing teams of. But even after shedding seven to eight pounds since pounding out 145 yards on 32 carries in a win over TCU in the Buffalo Wild Wings bowl, it's been the pretty part he's been trying to reiterate whether it be at the combine, his Pro Day at Michigan State or on his pre-draft visits with the Dallas Cowboys and New York Jets.

But outside of carrying around a highlight reel of his hurdles and spin moves, it's been difficult for Bell to shake the reputation of being a slow, Big Ten style bruiser.

"I think I've shown all I can show," Bell said Friday in an interview with Jim Miller on SiriusXM's NFL channel. "I just feel like the way that I play, you know I'm such a patient runner, that a lot of people look at me as slow. But I'm not a slow guy.

"My speed is good, especially for me being probably the biggest back in this class."

Bell ran a 4.60 in the 40-yard dash at the scouting combine and chose not to mess with the impressive time at Michigan State's Pro Day. WalterFootball.com currently projects him as a 2nd-4th round pick and has the Denver Broncos selecting him with the No. 28 pick in the third round (No. 90 overall). CBSSports.com ranks him the fourth-best running back available in the draft.

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2013/04/former_michigan_state_rb_leveo_1.html

Steel_Bus_24
04-21-2013, 03:40 PM
I just know the Jets,Rams, or Broncos are going to be the ones who screws this up for us

cbrunn
04-21-2013, 03:52 PM
Check out Latvius Murray ... Same size as bell with 4.3 speed ... That's who I want in the later rounds of the draft

SteelPride1207
04-21-2013, 04:09 PM
I would take Le'Veon Bell over Eddie Lacy any day of the week. Eddie is the product of the best offensive line in all of college football.

Neither Bell or Lacy should be first round picks. Eddie is getting a lot of hype because Alabama dominated the season and won the Championship. I hope some team between 1-16 makes a mistake...thus pushing a better player toward #17.

Rabbit
04-21-2013, 04:25 PM
I don't get the obsession with this guy.

Hawaii 5-0
04-22-2013, 07:01 PM
Draft buzz: Johnathan Franklin gaining on Eddie Lacy

By Chris Wesseling
Published: April 21, 2013

Alabama's Eddie Lacy remains confident that he's the complete package after a disappointing pro day, but he's no longer viewed as the consensus top tailback prospect in the 2013 NFL Draft.

A number of teams tell Draftinsider.net's Tony Pauline that UCLA's Johnathan Franklin ranks higher than Lacy on their boards. The New York Jets and Pittsburgh Steelers are among the teams "looking hard" at Franklin, according Jason La Canfora of CBSSports.com.

Franklin is drawing comparisons to Frank Gore and Doug Martin as a three-down back with NFL-ready pass-protection skills and the physicality to succeed between the tackles at the NFL level.

Highly productive last season at UCLA, Franklin piled up 1,734 rushing yards and 15 total touchdowns while adding 33 catches for 323 yards. He's a more complete back than Lacy.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000162194/article/draft-buzz-johnathan-franklin-gaining-on-eddie-lacy

teegre
04-22-2013, 07:30 PM
Franklin in R2.

I was hoping he'd be there later, but it looks like he's ascending quickly. I like it. That just means that Lemonier has to last until R3. :wink02:

WokeUpWithaWoodley
04-22-2013, 08:12 PM
So many options for running backs this year I hope we take one in the third not the second. I'm still on the bell train.

lloydwoodson
04-22-2013, 08:44 PM
I don't see any of these running backs as upgrades over Mendenhall. Lacy will be a good player. None of these guys is AD.

Rabbit
04-23-2013, 02:56 AM
I don't see any of these running backs as upgrades over Mendenhall. Lacy will be a good player. None of these guys is AD.

If you're using "the guy has to be AD" as the barometer, you'll never pick a damn running back for a half century. Franklin, Bernard and Gillislee all fit the bill for this team.

lloydwoodson
04-25-2013, 04:41 AM
If you're using "the guy has to be AD" as the barometer, you'll never pick a damn running back for a half century. Franklin, Bernard and Gillislee all fit the bill for this team.

Not in the first round. !st round picks are wasted on running backs who have 4 or 5 productive years before a drastic decline or an exit from the league.

casteeler
04-25-2013, 09:24 AM
Not in the first round. !st round picks are wasted on running backs who have 4 or 5 productive years before a drastic decline or an exit from the league.

Wasted? The Steelers will get "wasted"'in the division if they don't pick up a top tier RB early. This team was 24th rushing and that sucks for the Run game and for Ben because the Steelers were 1 demensional. I wouldn't be upset if the Steelers picked up what they REALLY need in the 1-2 round.

Rabbit
04-25-2013, 09:40 AM

Oh, I didn't know you were specifically referring to the first round. My bad.

lloydwoodson
04-25-2013, 03:52 PM
Oh, I didn't know you were specifically referring to the first round. My bad.

Should have clarified. I think you have to find some middle ground and get a running back who can produce even if that means drafting 2nd or 3rd round. I just think what the Steelers have been doing in investing in long-term positions that are less costly than the flashier positions is really smart. 3-4 DEs and guards don't make top dollar like OLBs and Ts.

1st round RBs:

2012: Trent Richardson, David Wilson, Doug Martin

Best RB taken: Alfred Morris 6th round

2011: Mark Ingram (bust)

Best RB taken: DeMarco Murray 3rd round

2010: CJ Spiller, Ryan Matthews (on the verge of being a bust), Jahvid Best (bust)

Best RB taken: CJ Spiller

2009: Knowshon Moreno (bust), Donald Brown (bust), Beanie Wells (bust)

Best RB taken: LeSean McCoy 2nd round

2008: Darren McFadden, Jonathon Stewart, Felix Jones (bust), Rashard Mendenhall, Chris Johnson

Best RB taken: Jamaal Charles 3rd round

2007: Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch

Best RB taken: AD

2006: Reggie Bush, Laurence Maroney (bust), DeAngelo Williams, Joseph Addai (bust)

Best RB taken: MJD 2nd round

2005: Cedric Benson (bust), Cadillac Williams (bust), Ronnie Brown (bust)

Best RB taken: Frank Gore 3rd round

2004: Steven Jackson, Chris Perry (bust), Kevin Jones (bust)

Best RB taken: Steven Jackson

2003: Willis McGahee, Larry Johnson

Best RB taken: Larry Johnson

So in the last 10 years the best running back in the drafts have been selected in the first round only 4 times.

13 of 29 1st rounders have been busts imo. And players like Mendenhall and McGahee fell short of expectations. Larry Johnson was dominant for 2 years before injuries wiped him out- nature of being a RB.

Out of the 29 RBs the only ones I would want in the first would be Jackson, AD, Lynch, and Spiller.

Rabbit
04-25-2013, 03:55 PM
Yeah, I'm totally with you on that. From another thread, here are the running backs I wouldn't mind us drafting:

Nobody I want in the first.
Franklin or Bernard in the second.
Michael or Ellington in the third.
Gillislee or Maysonet in the fourth.
Kerwynn Williams in the fifth.

Hawaii 5-0
04-26-2013, 07:57 PM
I guess the Steelers were definitely interested in RB Le'Veon Bell from Michigan St, huh?:tt02:

SteelPride1207
04-26-2013, 08:23 PM
I would have waited until the 3rd Rd and picked whomever was available between Le'Veon Bell and Christine Michael.

Christine appears much quicker at hitting the holes and only slightly less physical than Le'Veon.

austinfrench76
04-26-2013, 08:31 PM
I hope we get Shamarko Thomas in the 3rd!

Hawaii 5-0
04-26-2013, 08:39 PM
Le'Veon Bell emerging as best running back in 2013 NFL Draft

By Bucky Brooks
Analyst, NFL.com and NFL Network
March 4, 2013

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/10660375/136342636.0_standard_500.0.jpg

Shhhh!

I'm about to let you in on a little secret that is circulating through scouting circles following the NFL Scouting Combine: Michigan State's Le'Veon Bell is the best running back in the 2013 NFL Draft, and it's not even close.

Now, I know that statement certainly will cause some consternation among the legions of Eddie Lacy, Montee Ball and Giovani Bernard supporters, but there is not a more complete back in this draft than Bell. Checking in at 6-foot-1 3/8 and 230 pounds, Bell is an old-school runner with the size and strength to grind between the tackles, yet he's quick enough to get to the edge on perimeter runs. Moreover, he is a dependable workhorse capable of shouldering a heavy workload as the primary runner.

As a junior, Bell was the Michigan State offense, rushing for 1,793 yards and 12 touchdowns. He accomplished those totals on 382 rushing attempts, with seven games of at least 30 carries. Some evaluators will view the heavy workload as a concern, due to the short shelf life of running backs. But I believe the fact that Bell carried the ball extensively without incident suggests he is not only durable, but also possesses the hard-nosed mentality to be a feature back as a pro.

Bell is also a dependable receiver out of the backfield, possessing the hands and receiving skills to be an integral part of a complex passing game. Over the past two seasons, he snagged 67 receptions, showing the capacity to run basic routes from his tailback spot. Although he is not a matchup nightmare in space, the fact that he is functional as a receiver will allow an offensive coordinator to keep him on the field in every situation, preventing opponents from honing in on the running game when Bell is in the huddle.

When I broke down the game tape, I came away viewing Bell as a Steven Jackson clone. Bell not only runs with a similar gait, but he displays the patience and vision to excel in a zone-based scheme. Bell's ability to read and set up his blocks at the line of scrimmage routinely leads to big gains when plays are executed properly. Additionally, Bell displays the ability to put together a sequence of cuts beyond the line of scrimmage. From multiple jump cuts to crafty spin moves in the open field, Bell's ability to make defenders miss at his size is quite rare. With Bell more than capable of running through contact, gaining 951 yards after contact in 2012, it is not surprising he has become a favorite of scouts and coaches around the league.

Now, that's not to say Bell is without flaws. He doesn't show explosive first-step quickness, and some scouts worry about his overall toughness, despite the remarkable production. In fact, one AFC official told me he wonders if Bell views himself as a "dancer," rather than a pounder with the ball in his hands. Regardless, I believe Bell is an impact runner with the skills to make a difference in the right offensive system.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/3/30/4159550/the-broncos-set-up-private-meeting-with-rb-leveon-bell

lloydwoodson
04-27-2013, 12:01 AM
In fact, one AFC official told me he wonders if Bell views himself as a "dancer," rather than a pounder with the ball in his hands.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hawaii 5-0
04-27-2013, 12:24 PM
Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio compares Le'Veon Bell to Franco Harris

By Neal Coolong on Apr 27 2013

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/12278361/131545960.0_standard_500.0.jpg

While he's clearly adding some hyperbole for the sake of the moment, Mark Dantonio's comparison of Le'Veon Bell to the Steelers' powerful Hall of Fame fullback brings up an interesting question: Is Bell going to be utilized in a zone or a power scheme?

As it turns out, Michigan State head coach Mark Dantonio grew up a Steelers fan.

Certainly a convenient thing to tell the Pittsburgh media when discussing his player, Le'Veon Bell, being taken by those same Steelers.

Dantonio mentioned something a bit more provocative, though. He compared him to a Steelers legend.

According to Mike Griffith of MLive, Dantonio connected Bell to the Steelers in a great way:

"I grew up, I was a Steelers fan, too,'' Dantonio revealed. "They have a statue of Franco Harris when you walk in the airport.

"The things you do, running north and south, is very, very similar to him.''

Many of the moves the Steelers have made this offseason - the hiring of offensive line coach Jack Bicknell Jr. in particular - seem to suggest the team will make more of a concerted effort in running zone this season. Efforts to run zone last year were made but proved futile, at least somewhat in part to a lesser athletic combination of tackles.

Reviewing Bell's games last season, it seemed like Michigan State had something of the same problem. They wanted to run zone, and did, to varying levels of success. Clearly, Wisconsin's Montee Ball had more success in zone specific schemes over an outstanding career in one of the nation's best rushing teams.

While Dantonio is obviously throwing in a bit of hyperbole when making suggestions there's a link between Bell and Harris, it's an interesting question to consider: Is Bell the Steelers' guy to run zone, or is he going to be another link in a chain of runners aimed to harness specific skills over the entire running game?

One area in which Bell absolutely excels is in pass protection. He's not a game-breaking open field runner, but he can catch the ball well enough. His ability and desire to block could make him a third down candidate right off the bat.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/4/27/4274498/michigan-state-coach-mark-dantonio-leveon-bell-steelers-comments

Set-Man
04-28-2013, 11:27 AM
Bell ,a dancer? You mean Mendenhall... Oh crap. We need a back who has the quickest first step ever, a la Willie Parker so they don't get hit 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage on a third and one.

Franco Harris? Come on man!
Stephen Jackson clone? Come on man! At least this one could be possible.

I am interested to see this kid in the pre-season.

vrabinec
04-28-2013, 12:14 PM
Yeah, most people are basing the "the Steelers reached for Bell in the second" based on Mel Kiper's analysis. Well, here's the brilliant kiper's assessment of the Steeler's 2008 draft:

Pittsburgh Steelers: GRADE: B
Running back wasn't a need area in the first round, but when Rashard Mendenhall was still on the board at No. 23, he became a luxury pick. Mendenhall was a very good pick, so too was Limas Sweed, who fell to the 53rd overall pick. Dennis Dixon was a one-year wonder at Oregon before he suffered a season-ending knee injury. He showed skills in 2007; still, Dixon is a good fifth-round pick as someone you can develop. Bruce Davis fits the Steelers' scheme as an OLB (he had 24.5 sacks the past two seasons). Tony Hills is a solid backup at OT who has the ability to push for a starting role if he can work on his aggressiveness. Mike Humpal could be a good backup LB and help out on special teams; and safety Ryan Mundy will be a decent special teams player.

Good job, Mel. Spot on.:chuckle:

Rellimie
04-28-2013, 12:31 PM
Take a good look at the college game and the current NFL....don't see a lot of "pounders" anymore do you?

This isn't the 70's, this isn't even 10 years ago (Bettis). The NFL isn't about pounding the rock and defense anymore. Teams that run the ball 60% or more aren't winning championships.

I appreciate the classic Steelers as much as the next but you need to face facts, the past couple championships by the Steelers were won with the arm of Big Ben and the Big Play of a fast, elusive RB, not a "pounder".

Throwing the ball is Steelers football, it has been for 10 years.

Hawaii 5-0
04-28-2013, 01:53 PM
Michigan State RB Le'Veon Bell fills need on ground for Steelers

April 28, 2013
By Joe Rexrode
Detroit Free Press Sports Writer

http://cmsimg.freep.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=C4&Date=20130428&Category=SPORTS07&ArtNo=304280100&Ref=AR&MaxW=300&Border=0&Michigan-State-RB-Le-Veon-Bell-fills-need-ground-Steelers

It’s pass, pass, pass and sprinkle in a run for many in the NFL, but the Pittsburgh Steelers still believe in the physical ground game that has served them so well over the decades.

And that’s why last season’s total of 1,537 yards rushing — 26th out of 32 teams in the league — was as galling for the Steelers as their 8-8 record. And that’s why a franchise that is used to running and winning took Michigan State’s Le’Veon Bell in the second round Friday.

Bell carried it 382 times for 1,793 yards and 12 touchdowns as a junior at MSU, and considering the state of the Steelers’ depth chart at running back, he could be in line for heavy work right away.

“He’s coming from a pro-style offense … so I expect him to get into the mix and be a factor,” Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley said of Bell. “He looks like a workhorse back and I think those numbers indicate that he’s quite capable of carrying it a bunch. He’s not a guy that you’d shy away from giving it to him 30 times a game.”

From Franco Harris to Merril Hoge to Jerome Bettis, Pittsburgh has been known for power backs since the 1970s. Hoge introduced the pick Friday, giving his approval and calling Bell a “factor back,” and Bettis tweeted his congratulations to Bell.

Jonathan Dwyer led the Steelers in rushing last season with 623 yards but is reportedly on the trading block. Rashard Mendenhall, Pittsburgh’s first-round pick in 2008 out of Illinois, is with the Arizona Cardinals now after rushing for just 182 yards last season and battling injuries during his Pittsburgh tenure.

The Steelers signed diminutive speed back LaRod Stephens-Howling (5-feet-7, 185 pounds) and drafted Bell, and that looks like the likely one-two punch for next season. And the 6-2, 235-pound Bell would seem to be the favorite to be the lead back, even if he isn’t ready to make such proclamations.

“I’m going to come in and compete,” Bell said. “I’m going to come in there and do the best that I possibly can. I’m going to come in and compete with the other backs and the other backs are going to compete with me. They’re going to try to make me better and I’m going to make them better at the same time.”

Haley called Bell “a three-down back, which is a big thing for us — a guy who can play first, second and third down.”

“He does it all,” MSU coach Mark Dantonio said Friday after congratulating Bell on the realization of his dream. “He is a complete football player.”

Bell is the third MSU running back drafted in Dantonio’s tenure, joining Javon Ringer in 2009 (fifth round, No. 173 overall to Tennessee) and Edwin Baker in 2012 (seventh round, No. 250 overall to San Diego).

He’s also the earliest MSU pick since receiver Devin Thomas went No. 34 overall to Washington in 2008. And he might be the best-suited for his new employer than any former Spartan in a long time.

http://www.freep.com/article/20130428/SPORTS07/304280100/michigan-state-spartans-leveon-bell-pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-draft

Hawaii 5-0
05-01-2013, 04:59 PM
Powerful but nimble Bell has look of a No. 1 back for Steelers

May 1, 2013
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://db66abc2c256b763aaef-ce5d943d4869ae027976e5ad085dd9b0.r76.cf2.rackcdn.c om/2013/120/579/bell-leaps_original.jpg

Le'Veon Bell, selected out of Michigan State by the Steelers in the second round of the NFL draft, leaps over a Boise State defender in a game last fall.

The Steelers wanted to improve their running game in 2012, then they did a strange thing: They did absolutely nothing to help the rushing attack and, in fact, reduced their chances of running the ball better heading into last season.

The team talked a good running game but slipped to 26th in the NFL rushing rankings in 2012. Their reaction this year was to actually do something to fix it, proving Chuck Noll's old self-effacing comment that if you hit a donkey in the head with a 2-by-4 enough times, he gets the message.

The Steelers learned a hard lesson last season. They knew their horse, Rashard Mendenhall, not only would not be ready to start the 2012 season because of a torn knee ligament but -- even in the words of general manager Kevin Colbert -- he likely would not be the same for a year.

The team responded by letting veteran Mewelde Moore go and added only a scatback, fifth-round pick Chris Rainey, to the equation in the 2012 draft. The results should have been predictable. The Steelers slipped from 11th and 14th in the league in rushing the two previous seasons and their 1,537 team rushing yards were the team's second fewest in seasons of either 14 or 16 games in more than 40 years.

So, like Noll's donkey, the Steelers got the message.

While they let Mendenhall leave as a free agent and cut Rainey, they slapped $1.3 million tenders on restricted free-agent backs Jonathan Dwyer and Isaac Redman. They added veteran LaRod Stephens-Howling as a free agent. Then they drafted not a scatback but a big, bruising, athletic Steelers-type halfback in the second round.

Le'Veon Bell rings them up. He slimmed down to 230 from 244 pounds at Michigan State, where he sometimes hurdled defenders to avoid tackles or just took the easier path and ran over them. He averaged 137.9 yards per game last season and averaged 5.0 yards a carry in his career, scoring 34 touchdowns, fifth most in school history.

"If it was a 1-yard run, if he didn't have any room, he always seemed to fall forward for 4," Colbert said. "You look at his career average, it's right at 5.0. He's a big guy. He can go from being very patient to knowing when to hit a crease. He knows when to insert on those zone run schemes. And he can. He's a big kid that can block and he's got nice, soft hands."

Soft enough that Todd Haley said Bell can actually stay on the field on passing downs. The Steelers offensive coordinator called him a "three-down back, which is a big thing for us."

The Steelers scratched Alabama's Eddie Lacy off their board because of a toe injury. Haley said Bell was their top-rated running back in the draft.

Haley said running backs coach Kirby Wilson looked at tape of some of Michigan State's roughest games -- "The games where the back isn't necessarily getting those big holes, so you can see what he's really capable of doing on his own.

"Because, as we know, in the NFL the holes are a lot smaller," Haley explained. "This is a big guy that can play like a big back, and yet also can get outside some and catch the ball."

The Steelers drafted Bell to be their starter. So, where does that leave the other backs on the roster?

They signed Stephens-Howling primarily to return kickoffs, but he also can play on third downs, something former seventh-round pick Baron Batch also can do well. What kept Redman and Dwyer on the team -- those $1.3 million contract tenders -- might also drive one of them off it. Paying one backup that much is a lot for the Steelers, two is likely too much. The NFL Network reported that after the Steelers drafted Bell, they offered Dwyer to other teams as trade bait.

Redman would seem to have the edge on Dwyer as a complementary back to Bell, if it comes to that. Injuries, of course, can also play a hand in the makeup of the backfield.

"We have really good competition again at the position," Haley said.

There should be some good competition, between Redman and Dwyer to be No. 2, and between Stephens-Howling and Batch to be a possible third-down back. Bell looks like a starter.

"You look at a big, young back that can play in all three phases, but he's especially patient in the run game," Colbert said. "And like I said, he knows when to put his foot in the ground and cut up field and when he makes contact, he has a ton of yards after contact. It just seemed that every time he ran the ball, whether it was for a 1-yard gain before he fell into contact, he always ended up getting contact, so it's second-and-5."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/powerful-but-nimble-bell-has-look-of-a-no-1-back-685703/#ixzz2S4K8qB8M