PDA

View Full Version : Ed Reed taking a tour of the Texans

Fire Haley
03-13-2013, 05:50 PM
The Texans' first visit will be with S Ed Reed. He'll be at their facility on Thursday. They need a vet to replace Glover Quin.

https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/status/311956813614551040

Doesn't say all the other teams he will be visiting - how bout Ed Reed in a Steelers uniform?

yee-haw

harrison'samonster
03-13-2013, 05:52 PM
The Texans' first visit will be with S Ed Reed. He'll be at their facility on Thursday. They need a vet to replace Glover Quin.

https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/status/311956813614551040

Doesn't say all the other teams he will be visiting - how bout Ed Reed in a Steelers uniform?

yee-haw

on the condition that he wears a #86 jersey when he signs the contract

tony hipchest
03-13-2013, 06:02 PM
he'll have to take off his panties and put on his big girl pants to be a steeler.

TRH
03-13-2013, 06:16 PM
we don't have 2 dimes to rub together to pay him..

tony hipchest
03-13-2013, 06:50 PM
we don't have 2 dimes to rub together to pay him..

FsxJfcFVnpo

Fire Haley
03-14-2013, 12:00 AM
Ravens West gonna rob them again?

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsiderSources emphasize that the 49ers are actually a legit contender for Ed Reed should the Texans visit not lead to a fast deal.

Galax Steeler
03-14-2013, 03:45 AM
on the condition that he wears a #86 jersey when he signs the contract

He ain't man enough to wear the 86 jersey.:rofl:

Buddha Bus
03-14-2013, 03:52 AM
I'll never understand why all the hoopla for Reed anymore. He's a broken down relic who didn't like to tackle or hit much and, now that he's banged up and old, doesn't do it at all hardly. Couple that with his diminished "ball hawk" skills and you have an aging, near-retirement safety with little production left who is just looking for a paycheck.

I don't question that he's toughed out a lot of injuries on the field, but his best days are far behind him for the money he thinks he's worth. Very similar to a few years ago when Ray Lewis thought he was worth way more than he was and the Ravens let him test free agency. Ray-Ray came crawling back when he found that he wasn't worth what he thought to anyone but himself.

The difference here is that it appears that Reed has worn out his welcome in Baltimore with his whining about not being respected come contract time, his threats of retirement several times, and the reports of his involvement in the "near mutiny" in the Ravens locker room. Reed is done.

JonM229
03-14-2013, 06:15 AM
Buddha hit a lot of good points there. It's easy to get sentimental about how good he used to be (why does that sound familiar?) but I think now is the perfect time for Reed and the Ravens to part ways.

Reed has a degenerative condition in his neck, meaning it's only going to get worse, not better. He used to be able to tackle, but even then he would rather throw his shoulder into somebody than properly wrap them up.

Fire Haley
03-14-2013, 11:07 AM
ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on SportsCenter that owner Bob McNair and Texans officials picked up Ed Reed in McNair's private plane before Thursday's free-agent visit.

Typically when private planes are involved, teams get their man

send the stretch limo to pick him up from the plane!

ha ha

Fire Haley
03-14-2013, 11:28 AM
I'll never understand why all the hoopla for Reed anymore..

It's not about his play on the field

it's about dealing a crushing blow to the Ravens fans who worship him as a God, second only to Ray Ray

Hearing Ed Reed is looking for at least $6 million per year. Texans could get within that striking range. They are very serious about him

https://twitter.com/RavensInsider/status/312228147393339392

Buddha Bus
03-15-2013, 03:53 AM
It's not about his play on the field

it's about dealing a crushing blow to the Ravens fans who worship him as a God, second only to Ray Ray

Hearing Ed Reed is looking for at least $6 million per year. Texans could get within that striking range. They are very serious about him

https://twitter.com/RavensInsider/status/312228147393339392

Oh, don't get me wrong, I know what it will do to the fanbase, especially after all of the other defections/firings. I just don't know what would be better.... him leaving and dealing a blow to the fans' psyche and team leadership or the Ravens being dumb enough to pour more cash into a washed up, old safety that brings little to the table anymore.

It's a win-win for Steeler fans. :chuckle:

Fire Haley
03-15-2013, 10:12 AM
and if they let Reed go and sign Harrison instead?

they would have a conniption

The_Joker
03-15-2013, 04:23 PM
Bye bye Rats, enjoy your hats!

BleedPurple
03-16-2013, 02:07 AM
I'll never understand why all the hoopla for Reed anymore. He's a broken down relic who didn't like to tackle or hit much and, now that he's banged up and old, doesn't do it at all hardly. Couple that with his diminished "ball hawk" skills and you have an aging, near-retirement safety with little production left who is just looking for a paycheck.

I don't question that he's toughed out a lot of injuries on the field, but his best days are far behind him for the money he thinks he's worth. Very similar to a few years ago when Ray Lewis thought he was worth way more than he was and the Ravens let him test free agency. Ray-Ray came crawling back when he found that he wasn't worth what he thought to anyone but himself.

The difference here is that it appears that Reed has worn out his welcome in Baltimore with his whining about not being respected come contract time, his threats of retirement several times, and the reports of his involvement in the "near mutiny" in the Ravens locker room. Reed is done.

Much like Polamalu, whose hair now gets more air time during head and shoulders commercials than he does on the field, the attachment to Reed is about 50% sentimental (but also, count the number of times Manning and Brady, and Luck, and Kaep threw down the middle of the field with Reed prowling the secondary, he still does affect QB decisions on the field). Watching these players in their prime for years makes it difficult when it is time to pass the torch.

Buddha Bus
03-20-2013, 06:14 PM
Ed Reed says he plans to join Houston Texans
Published: March 20, 2013 at 07:00 p.m. Updated: March 20, 2013 at 07:07 p.m.

Ed Reed plans to join the Houston Texans, the safety told NFL.com's Albert Breer via text message.

Reed, a nine-time Pro Bowl selection and eight-time All-Pro, leaves the Ravens after 11 seasons and one Super Bowl victory last season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000152356/article/ed-reed-says-he-plans-to-join-houston-texans

CrickRat23
03-20-2013, 08:01 PM
Adios Ed Reed. Ravens are falling apart and I love it. First Ray Ray retires, now Reed leaves. Love, love, love it.

Blacksburg Zach
03-20-2013, 08:05 PM
Adios Ed Reed. Ravens are falling apart and I love it. First Ray Ray retires, now Reed leaves. Love, love, love it.

They'll be OK. After all, they still have Mr. Elite, Joe Flacco. :chuckle:

PhantomJB93
03-20-2013, 08:06 PM
So Baltimore has lost:
-Both starting safeties
-A starting cornerback
-3/4 starting linebackers
-top wide receiver

And people say the sky is falling around here...we've lost three of those 7 players and even then only one was a real difference maker last year (Wallace), and a lazy, half-assed difference-maker at that...

Blacksburg Zach
03-20-2013, 08:16 PM
So Baltimore has lost:
-Both starting safeties
-A starting cornerback
-top wide receiver

And people say the sky is falling around here...we've lost two of those 7 players and even then only one was a real difference maker last year (Wallace), and a lazy, half-assed difference-maker at that...

But the difference is that they have the best quarterback in the NFL in Joe Flacco (ha), the gold standard for coaches in John Harbaugh (at least according to many fans on this board), and the amazing Ozzie Newsome as general manager (while admittedly a good general manager, even he can't replace all those departed free agents with one draft). With those guys there, Baltimore doesn't even need anyone else because they will never lose another game as long as those three are there. The Steelers might as well just forfeit the rest of the games they're ever scheduled to play against the Ravens, they'll just embarrass themselves if they try to stand up to the invincible Ravens.

GMU Steeler
03-20-2013, 08:20 PM
So Baltimore has lost:
-Both starting safeties
-A starting cornerback
-top wide receiver

And people say the sky is falling around here...we've lost three of those 7 players and even then only one was a real difference maker last year (Wallace), and a lazy, half-assed difference-maker at that...

Right. Can't underestimate that they're losing a big leader in Lewis and possibly Reed now. We'll see what happens I suppose but if the Ravens have a SB hangover, I am not going to be surprised at all.

Buddha Bus
03-20-2013, 08:32 PM
They'll be OK. After all, they still have Mr. Elite, Joe Flacco. :chuckle:

Mr. Elite is his 3-game playoff superhero secret identity with his trusty sidekick the Ungroomable Unibrow. His true identity is the mild mannered (and mild skilled) Average Joe Flacco, the common check down passer of the working man. Average Joe uses his appearance as an overly hairy, subpar, and inconsistent QB in cities around the country in the regular season to lull his opponents into a false sense of security to back into the playoffs and then "BLAMMO!", he unleashes the power of the Ungroomable Unibrow and becomes, MR. ELITE!

His powers become stronger in the playoffs during a contract year enabling him to actually win the Super Bowl and fool people into surrendering all of their money to him. He may have a hard time conquering this feat again anytime soon since he has been estranged from many of his superfriend teammates, The Lavender Legion. After he became consumed with greed and began keeping all of the rewards for himself, many of his super-buddies went into retirement or scattered to the far reaches of the universe, severely harming his chances of unleashing his evil side and winning yet another Super Bowl in his career.

Bayz101
03-20-2013, 08:59 PM
Mr. Elite is his 3-game playoff superhero secret identity with his trusty sidekick the Ungroomable Unibrow. His true identity is the mild mannered (and mild skilled) Average Joe Flacco, the common check down passer of the working man. Average Joe uses his appearance as an overly hairy, subpar, and inconsistent QB in cities around the country in the regular season to lull his opponents into a false sense of security to back into the playoffs and then "BLAMMO!", he unleashes the power of the Ungroomable Unibrow and becomes, MR. ELITE!

His powers become stronger in the playoffs during a contract year enabling him to actually win the Super Bowl and fool people into surrendering all of their money to him. He may have a hard time conquering this feat again anytime soon since he has been estranged from many of his superfriend teammates, The Lavender Legion. After he became consumed with greed and began keeping all of the rewards for himself, many of his super-buddies went into retirement or scattered to the far reaches of the universe, severely harming his chances of unleashing his evil side and winning yet another Super Bowl in his career.

Post of the year candidate.

PhantomJB93
03-20-2013, 09:13 PM

Post of the century even. :rofl:

Blacksburg Zach
03-20-2013, 10:01 PM

Greatest...Post...Ever!

SteelCurtain5643
03-20-2013, 10:09 PM
Reed officially signed with the Texans. 2 year deal. This offseason just keeps getting better and better for the Ravens, gotta love it. :rofl::rofl::tt02:

kent
03-21-2013, 12:43 AM
Reed officially signed with the Texans. 2 year deal. This offseason just keeps getting better and better for the Ravens, gotta love it. :rofl::rofl::tt02:

I guess they're counting on Mr. Elite to play both offense and defense. I had heard he's use to going both ways though.

Buddha Bus
03-21-2013, 03:35 AM

Post of the century even. :rofl:

Greatest...Post...Ever!

Why, thank you, kind sirs! :toast:

I'm just hoping to be a fighting champion like Steelfury and can defend my post of the year for 8 straight years and coast on the glory of it for the rest of my time at SF. :heh:

BleedPurple
03-21-2013, 05:53 AM
But the difference is that they have the best quarterback in the NFL in Joe Flacco (ha), the gold standard for coaches in John Harbaugh (at least according to many fans on this board), and the amazing Ozzie Newsome as general manager (while admittedly a good general manager, even he can't replace all those departed free agents with one draft). With those guys there, Baltimore doesn't even need anyone else because they will never lose another game as long as those three are there. The Steelers might as well just forfeit the rest of the games they're ever scheduled to play against the Ravens, they'll just embarrass themselves if they try to stand up to the invincible Ravens.

I would hold off until September before concluding that Ozzie can't reload this team in the offseason. . . I have quoted part of my other post below, we were expected to have losing seasons this year AND the year before due to insurmountable FA losses:

The Wiz will take care of the franchise, as always.

2 years ago we lost:

Le'Ron McClain
Willis McGahee
Derrick Mason
Todd Heap
Kelly Gregg
Donte Stallworth
Josh Wilson
Jared Gaither
Dawan Landry

and the sky was falling. Oh wait, nevermind, AFC championship game, one play from the superbowl. Every one of those guys go on to do precisely nothing, except Willis who got a starting job in Denver and had a nice season.

Just this past year, we lost:

Jarrett Johnson
Cory Redding
Ben Grubbs
Haruki Nakamura
Tom Zbikowski

And once again, we were going to have no pass rush, a porous line, league last secondary, and finish last in the division-- oh wait, superbowl champs.

NSMaster56
03-21-2013, 09:33 AM
I would hold off until September before concluding that Ozzie can't reload this team in the offseason. . . I have quoted part of my other post below, we were expected to have losing seasons this year AND the year before due to insurmountable FA losses:

Normally it would be a good idea to 'wait and see', but with the 'Super Bowl Hangover' + the loss of SO many key veterans on all sides of the ball it would be shocking if the Ravens didn't regress BIG time this year.

Despite the loss of Boldin (and Mount?), a full season of not Cam Cameron as OC should help them there. And as long as they stick to their defensive schemes they should be a solid bunch, but...

No Ray+Reed+role players=asking for trouble. Ngata and Suggs can't do it all.

It's possible that so much turnover overcomes the potential 'hangover' effects (or that Flacco does 'make a leap'), but then there should still be 'hiccups' due to a 'learning curve'. Overall, it's looking like the Ravens can be written off for 2013.

CrickRat23
03-21-2013, 12:28 PM
I guess they're counting on Mr. Elite to play both offense and defense. I had heard he's use to going both ways though.

With such an elite qb, the Ravens wont even need to play defense. Bert will put up so many points with his elitness, that the defense wont matter. (Sarcasm inserted here.)

Atlanta Dan
03-21-2013, 01:57 PM
Props (seriously) to Ozzie Newsome for blowing the team up - like the Steelers that Ravens team as currently constructed had reached the end of the line - since they won a Lombardi they will have a multi-year grace period to be top shelf agsin

SteelCurtain5643
03-21-2013, 04:29 PM
Normally it would be a good idea to 'wait and see', but with the 'Super Bowl Hangover' + the loss of SO many key veterans on all sides of the ball it would be shocking if the Ravens didn't regress BIG time this year.

Despite the loss of Boldin (and Mount?), a full season of not Cam Cameron as OC should help them there. And as long as they stick to their defensive schemes they should be a solid bunch, but...

No Ray+Reed+role players=asking for trouble. Ngata and Suggs can't do it all.

It's possible that so much turnover overcomes the potential 'hangover' effects (or that Flacco does 'make a leap'), but then there should still be 'hiccups' due to a 'learning curve'. Overall, it's looking like the Ravens can be written off for 2013.

Suggs can use those big horse gums of his to block passes LOL

Buddha Bus
03-21-2013, 04:31 PM
Suggs can use those big horse gums of his to block passes LOL

Are you kidding? They can't even block the stupidity that falls out of his mouth every other day.