PDA

View Full Version : Beanie Wells

Steel-Bryan
03-13-2013, 08:21 PM
There is speculation that he might come to the Steelers. Thoughts?

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/66907/bengals-steelers-interested-in-beanie-wells

Bayz101
03-13-2013, 08:25 PM
Thoughts? He's had several games where he's ran for more yards than any of our running backs EVER ran in one game.

Sharkissle29
03-13-2013, 08:29 PM
Please no. We have 2 of the same type of RB's already on the roster...

Hawaii 5-0
03-13-2013, 08:31 PM
no thanks...

Kent Somers ‏@kentsomers: (Arizona Cardinals beat writer)

Interesting to see how other teams evaluate Beanie Wells right knee. #azcardinals were not optimistic about it.

@kentsomers Beanie was shopping other teams before the season was over. No loyalty.

@kentsomers Did he actually have microfracture surgery on that knee? Doesn't seem like he'd fit the tough Steeler mold.

@kentsomers it looked like last year that his head was more of a concern than the knee. I don't think he wants to take or give hits anymore

https://twitter.com/kentsomers/statu...30894128644096

Steel_Bus_24
03-13-2013, 08:37 PM
Im tired of our players getting freaking hurt all the time....so hell no....hell no biatch

austinfrench76
03-13-2013, 11:32 PM
I would like it.

Fire Haley
03-13-2013, 11:39 PM
Looks like Bengals passed...

On Tuesday, former Cardinals running back Beanie Wells visited the Bengals’ facility. Wells, cut by Arizona on Monday, is apparently exploring other options

Per beat writer Kent Somers, the Cardinals were "not optimistic" about the state of free agent Beanie Wells' right knee.

https://twitter.com/kentsomers/statu...30894128644096

Fire Arians
03-13-2013, 11:57 PM
rather draft a rb, wells is damaged goods

lloydwoodson
03-13-2013, 11:59 PM
What the **** do you think the Steelers are? Arizona-East?

:wink02:

Justp94
03-14-2013, 12:14 AM
I'd sign him to a 1 year deal similar to that of what the Cardinals gave Mendenhall, but for $2million for a 1 year deal, and still draft a RB in the mid-rounds.

steeltheone
03-14-2013, 01:49 AM
i'd rather take a chance on Ced Benson if the packers sign SJAX.

Vis
03-14-2013, 06:21 AM
He'll never play on that leg again. My fearless prediction.

wwhickok
03-14-2013, 07:28 AM
He is another Mendenhall.

ebsteelers
03-14-2013, 08:24 AM
maybe its me but from what i remember in college and at arizona he seems more like redman, and dwyer.
so will have 3 power type backs?

great for the goal line but at some point dont we need to grab a speed guy?

Fire Haley
03-14-2013, 12:01 PM
NO MORE FATBACKS

I'd rather get one of these guys

Stepfan Taylor, RB, Stanford
Height: 5-9. Weight: 216. Arm: 29 5/8. Hand: 8 3/8.
Projected 40 Time: 4.58.
Projected Round (2013): 2-3.

2/16/13: Taylor was phenomenal for Stanford in 2012 and was the workhorse for the Cardinal's offense. He carried Stanford to an upset win over USC with over 200 combined yards and two touchdowns. The senior followed that up with other big games against the likes of Oregon and UCLA.

Taylor averaged 4.8 yards per carry this year, having collected 1,530 yards and 13 touchdowns. He totaled 41 receptions for 287 yards with two scores through the air, too. Taylor showed three-down ability with his blocking and receiving. He had an excellent week of practice at the Senior Bowl that proved he could be a three-down player in the NFL. Nationally, Taylor is a sleeper prospect who could be a draft-day steal.

Mike Gillislee, RB, Florida
Height: 5-11. Weight: 207. Arm: 30 3/4. Hand: 8 3/4.
Projected 40 Time: 4.42.
Projected Round (2013): 2-4.

2/16/13: Gillislee had a superb senior season for the Gators. He averaged 4.7 yards per carry while amassing 1,1152 yards and 10 touchdowns. Gillislee played hurt, yet helped push Florida to a tough road win against Texas A&M. He had impressive games against Tennessee, Bowling Green and LSU, too. He closed out the regular season by destroying Florida State to the tune of 140 yards and two touchdowns on 24 carries.

The senior has speed and deceptive power. Gillislee is very impressive as a blocker in blitz protection. He really helped his draft stock in 2012 and followed it up with a good performance at the Senior Bowl. Gillislee ripped off some long runs in Mobile.

Johnathan Franklin, RB, UCLA
Height: 5-10. Weight: 205. Arm: 29 1/4. Hand: 9 1/2.
Projected 40 Time: 4.58.
Projected Round (2013): 3-4.

2/16/13: Franklin was awesome as a senior and really helped his draft stock. He averaged 6.2 yards per carry while churning his way to 1,734 yards and 13 touchdowns. Franklin also caught 33 balls for 323 yards and two touchdowns. He has real quickness as a runner and is shifty, but is more physical and tough than one would think.

Fraklin had a huge performance against USC with 171 yards and two scores. He also went over 200 yards against Rise and Nebraska. Franklin showed some real power and toughness in the Pac-12 Championship by running for 194 yards on 19 carries against Stanford and its physical defense. It was a very impressive performance.

Franklin performed well in blitz protection at the Senior Bowl and showcased nice ability to contribute on third down. He helped himself in Mobile.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013RB.php

Pentheon
03-14-2013, 01:04 PM
rather draft a rb, wells is damaged goods

This....

harrison'samonster
03-14-2013, 01:14 PM
yeah, like ppl are saying, no need to go after a FA with too many miles. I think we need to draft for RB this year.

SteelCitian
03-14-2013, 01:24 PM
There is speculation that he might come to the Steelers. Thoughts?

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/66907/bengals-steelers-interested-in-beanie-wells

I almost thought I created another profile I forgot about. I'm another Bryan from NJ. :tt02:

WokeUpWithaWoodley
03-14-2013, 01:32 PM
Report: Pittsburgh Steelers have RB Beanie Wells in for a Physical

According to Dale Lolley, who covers the Pittsburgh Steelers for the Observer-Reporter of Washington, PA, the Steelers are meeting with running back Beanie Wells today. Wells was recently released by the Arizona Cardinals and they signed former-Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall yesterday to replace him.

Wells would be the second Cardinals player to sign with the Steelers after being cut this off-season following corner William Gay. Wells would give the Steelers another young option at running back as he will be only 25 next season and Jonathan Dwyer will only be 24 next season.

In fact, Dwyer and Wells could be a very good combo at running back with Isaac Redman around as a back-up and short yardage back and Baron Batch will look to take over as the third down back and pass protection running back.Last season Wells started only seven games due to a turf toe injury and lost carries to a stable of running backs.

However, in 2011 he ran for over 1,000 yards and averaged 4.3 yards per carry.
The Steelers are expected to look for running back depth this off-season with the loss of Mendenhall and Wells would help solidify a group that will also return Dwyer, Redman and Batch. Signing Wells would also let the Steelers wait until the later rounds of the draft to select a running back and let them use their early picks on more pressing needs.

http://steelblitz.com/report-pittsburgh-steelers-have-rb-beanie-wells-in-for-a-physical/2884/

stb_steeler
03-14-2013, 01:40 PM
Got rid of one injury prone player for another.....Smooth move right there :doh:

Steel_Bus_24
03-14-2013, 01:42 PM
I don't like to question our FO, but there is certain times where I just have to go.....wtf...Another was when they thought that that wet paper bag of a OL Scott could man the LT spot for a season....

are we a glutton for punishment??.....is it their goal to field a team that has half of it on the IR by the end of the season??

steeltheone
03-14-2013, 01:43 PM
Got rid of one injury prone player for another.....Smooth move right there :doh:

At least Mendy had (3) 1000 yard seasons or just shy of 3 ... Wells has only been healthy enough for one.

harrison'samonster
03-14-2013, 01:49 PM
I don't like to question our FO, but there is certain times where I just have to go.....wtf...Another was when they thought that that wet paper bag of a OL Scott could man the LT spot for a season....

are we a glutton for punishment??.....is it their goal to field a team that has half of it on the IR by the end of the season??

especially when it seems Wells has already failed the physical test due to his knee in Cincinnati. Oh well, doesn't hurt to take a look. But I hope we are going to be drafting our starting RB.

If we were going to take a risk Mendenhall would have been a better option. I guess Tomlin and the FO must not want him on the team

Vis
03-14-2013, 02:38 PM
Beanie Wells ‏@BeanieWells26

Moms got me some nice clothes laid out on the bed like its the first day of school lol bout to make this hour & half drive to Pittsburgh.

Steelers>NFL
03-14-2013, 02:45 PM
I read somewhere he is taking a physical today. Not sure how legit it is. But...

austinfrench76
03-14-2013, 03:09 PM
Just saw a tweet from Bouchette. Beanies on his way to Pittsburgh probably to sign.

harrison'samonster
03-14-2013, 03:09 PM
Just saw a tweet from Bouchette. Beanies on his way to Pittsburgh probably to sign.

Bouchette actually says he's going to sign? or just on his way to pittsburgh for a meeting?

GoFor7
03-14-2013, 03:39 PM

Been doing it since Dan went over to Ireland and couldn't look over sonny boy's shoulder anymore.

SteelersCanada
03-14-2013, 04:11 PM
Bouchette actually says he's going to sign? or just on his way to pittsburgh for a meeting?

Ed Bouchette ‏@EdBouchette

Beanie Wells just visiting #steelers on Friday. Had physical

The_Joker
03-14-2013, 04:20 PM
I love him! I hope we sign him.

TheVet
03-14-2013, 04:24 PM
This didn't make sense to me at first, but maybe it does a little bit. We're in the mode of looking for cheap bargains while we rebuild. A knee problem is a scary thing - better have some really good doctors looking closely. I suppose it's a risk/reward thing, so the contract better be heavy on the incentives.

Young RBs are always available in the draft, even into the late rounds. But for some reason, we always seem to misfire with our RB picks. Maybe that's why the Steelers are looking for someone who has proven he can do it in NFL, knee risk and all.

SteelersCanada
03-14-2013, 04:29 PM
People can point to the stats and etc. and say that's why we shouldn't take him, but we have to remember what kind of offensive line he was running behind. The last couple of years, Arizona would've seriously challenged us for "worst offensive line in the NFL". I'm not worried about his stats or even his knee injury, I'm worried about getting him because he's not an ZBS Running Back. He doesn't fit the mold of what we're trying to do at RB and with our new offensive line.

We already have two power 'Backs that can do what he does, albeit less effectively. If he comes cheap, I have no problem with this. That being said, I'd still like someone like Le'Veon Bell in the third round to be our franchise guy.

kent
03-14-2013, 04:32 PM
Just looked at his twitter and read his conversations. Looks like he's signing with us. He also says "the best is yet to come." So that gives us Wells, Dwyer, Redman, and Batch. Doesnt look like we will be drafting an RB this year even though I believe we could have gotten great value in the later rounds. With that being said, I dont care who runs the ball as long as it is effective.

Fire Haley
03-14-2013, 04:58 PM
I love him! I hope we sign him.

he's crippled worthless fatback - I hate him

TheVet
03-14-2013, 04:59 PM
kent - I still think we'll pick up a RB in round 4 or later. We need to worry about injuries with Wells, and Batch is nowhere near a lock to make an NFL roster. So we're too thin right now; we could use a cheap, young RB with nice upside, and we can afford to let one develop given that we have three solid NFL backs with Wells (if healthy).

But we have much deeper problems than RB, where we're actually quite solid if unspectacular. So I won't cry if it's a round 6 or 7 pick - or even a UFA.

Steel_Bus_24
03-14-2013, 05:01 PM

man I don't want to be that nasty about it or him....any pro has worked their ass off to even be able to get into the league.....but its just these recent years of watching the Steelers be plagued with injury after Freaking Injury has really worn on me.

kent
03-14-2013, 05:23 PM
kent - I still think we'll pick up a RB in round 4 or later. We need to worry about injuries with Wells, and Batch is nowhere near a lock to make an NFL roster. So we're too thin right now; we could use a cheap, young RB with nice upside, and we can afford to let one develop given that we have three solid NFL backs with Wells (if healthy).

But we have much deeper problems than RB, where we're actually quite solid if unspectacular. So I won't cry if it's a round 6 or 7 pick - or even a UFA.

I was looking forward to drafting a back but i just dont see them doing that now. Batch offers little on offense bu t I believe he is a special teams captain.

TheVet
03-14-2013, 05:37 PM
The more I think about it, the more like it. A few observations:
1. We have an awful record drafting RBs, especially with higher picks; we can't afford to misfire in the draft this year.
2. It's relatively easy to find serviceable RBs, both young and experienced.
3. RB is a relative area of strength for us - it's been quite awhile since we've had as solid a duo as Dwyer and Redman, and now we have Wells, so we've replaced our #3 with a guy who's right in the mix with our #1 and #2 backs.

All in all, this makes a lot of sense; it lets us focus on our big problems. Here are some areas we need to address before RB: a starting LG, a starting WR, OL depth, an understudy S for Troy, an OLB and an ILB, depth at CB, and someone to challenge at any of the 3 DL positions.

This looks smart, if a bit risky. But during this rebuilding phase, we need to hit on a few risks.

pittpete
03-14-2013, 06:57 PM
IMO I don't think they keep all 3.
I say Redmans tender gets pulled.

austinfrench76
03-14-2013, 07:18 PM
I like this signing and by the lkooks of ti I'm about the only one. But he fitd our mold. If, and I know that's a big if, but if he can stay healthy he can help us. He is a little like Mendenwhatever in that he is a Big 10 RB that came out early and was a 1st rounder that got hurt and never really lived up to expectations. Let's hope its only a 1 year so that he stays hungry. If his physical went really well though I could see them giving him a 3yr deal.

ZoneBlitzer
03-14-2013, 07:22 PM

Frank the tank?

Fire Haley
03-14-2013, 10:08 PM
man I don't want to be that nasty about it or him....any pro has worked their ass off to even be able to get into the league.....but its just these recent years of watching the Steelers be plagued with injury after Freaking Injury has really worn on me.

Beenie has been hurt since he joined the league - runs soft, like a limping lunk of lard

I never liked Wells coming out...at least not as highly acclaimed as he was.

I think he could make it as a backup, but he will never be a full time starter...due to lack of health AND talent.

but we have enough back-up RB's - our WHOLE team is back-up RB's.

So now we're gonna give money to a reclamation project bust?

why?

Fire Haley
03-14-2013, 10:23 PM
Frank the tank?

another plodding plowhorse?

smashmouth is dead and buried, get over it

We need some playmakers with SPEED, take Stephens-Howling if we're going to pick through Arizona's leftovers

Hawaii 5-0
03-14-2013, 10:26 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers Not Confident About Beanie Wells’ Knee

Mar 14th, 2013 by Josh Hill

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/229/files/2013/03/68569221.jpg

Beanie Wells went to Pittsburgh for a physical but he left town without a contract. Before being released by the Arizona Cardinals earlier this month, the team expressed concern over his injured knee and it now appears as though the Steelers are sharing that concern as team doctors didn’t like what they saw when Wells came in for a physical on Thursday.

The Cardinals were reportedly “not optimistic” about the condition of Wells’ knees before releasing him. Steelers doctors may have found something they didn’t like as well, as he left club headquarters without a contract. It’s fair to wonder if Wells might need a knee surgery before he finds a landing spot.

The Steelers just got rid of oft-injured running back Rashard Mendenhall, so it’s not surprising that they weren’t jumping through hoops to get a guy with more wear and tear on his body than Mendenhall. Wells and Mendenhall have very similar pasts when it comes to injuries as both have been plagued by knee problems since they came into the NFL.

Pittsburgh is still in the market for a running back but they may end up looking to the draft to pick up a younger back as opposed to whats on the open market at the moment. Unless they make a run at Steven Jackson, it’s hard to see the Steelers settling for anything less than what they currently have for the time being.

http://fansided.com/2013/03/14/pittsburgh-steelers-not-confident-about-beanie-wells-knee/

Fire Haley
03-14-2013, 10:36 PM
Where does Beanie Wells rank among all Cardinals busts?

Beanie Wells holds the Arizona Cardinals franchise record for rushing yards in a single game, but other than that, he was largely a bust during his time in the desert.

Since being drafted in the first round of the 2009 NFL Draft, Wells started just 23 games for the Cards.

In that time, he rushed for 2,471 yards and 24 touchdowns, but he also had 10 fumbles, five of which were lost to the opposing team.

Because of his fumbling and injury concerns, Wells was released by new GM Steve Keim and is free to sign with any other team. With his tenure coming to an end in Arizona, it is fair to say that he was largely a bust

http://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2013/3/13/4097730/where-does-beanie-wells-rank-among-all-cardinals-busts

------------------

Injury red flags and a fumbler - - lets sign him!

Justp94
03-14-2013, 10:47 PM
Just looked at his twitter and read his conversations. Looks like he's signing with us. He also says "the best is yet to come." So that gives us Wells, Dwyer, Redman, and Batch. Doesnt look like we will be drafting an RB this year even though I believe we could have gotten great value in the later rounds. With that being said, I dont care who runs the ball as long as it is effective.

You read wrong, he left Pittsburgh after the Steelers had him take a physical and they were concerned about his knees.

austinfrench76
03-14-2013, 11:02 PM
I think Bouchette said he retweeted what Beanie said that his Mom laid out his clothes like it was his 1st day of school. Said he's on his way to Pittsburgh. Looks like he will sign tomorrow...

Hawaii 5-0
03-14-2013, 11:04 PM
I think Bouchette said he retweeted what Beanie said that his Mom laid out his clothes like it was his 1st day of school. Said he's on his way to Pittsburgh. Looks like he will sign tomorrow...

yeah, word is that Beanie is scheduled to meet with the Steeler coaches tomorrow.

I don't think we would bring him in again unless we were going to make him an offer...

Beanie Wells ✔ @BeanieWells26

Moms got me some nice clothes laid out on the bed like its the first day of school lol bout to make this hour & half drive to Pittsburgh.

7:31 PM - 14 Mar 13

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/sports-desk/the-sport-editor-s-desk-1.288309/update-beanie-wells-making-another-trip-to-steelers-1.381284

kent
03-14-2013, 11:15 PM
You read wrong, he left Pittsburgh after the Steelers had him take a physical and they were concerned about his knees.

On his page he was saying thanks for people congratulating him about Pittsburgh. He even asked if someone was till living there that he knew. Im not saying he is for sure signing but it just seemed that way.

PhantomJB93
03-14-2013, 11:33 PM
IDK I like Beanie better than what we have but I hope if we do sign him it doesn't deter us from selecting a RB in the draft. Beanie is injury prone and a huge bust to this point so if we can get a Lacy, Lattimore, Bell, or somebody else in round 2 or 3 I hope we don't pass on that and put all our money in on Wells.

Fire Haley
03-14-2013, 11:45 PM
I'd still like someone like Le'Veon Bell in the third round to be our franchise guy.

now that's a much better idea

speaking of Canada

I just watched the Toronto feed tonight of the Pens game...they had a Molson beer commercial of 2 chicks kissing underwater in a swimming pool.

What the hell is up with that?

teegre
03-14-2013, 11:53 PM
Hawaii 5-0, I love your new mock.

Elam... duh.
Lemonier, Bell... perfect.
McFadden... awesome!!! He's gonna be a steal.

If you had added Escobar, I would have given it an A+++... right now, it's an A++.

Hawaii 5-0
03-15-2013, 12:19 AM
Hawaii 5-0, I love your new mock.

Elam... duh.
Lemonier, Bell... perfect.
McFadden... awesome!!! He's gonna be a steal.

If you had added Escobar, I would have given it an A+++... right now, it's an A++.

thanks! :drink:

in your opinion, if we sign Beanie Wells do you think we still draft Le'Veon Bell?

teegre
03-15-2013, 12:27 AM
thanks! :drink:

in your opinion, if we sign Beanie Wells do you think we still draft Le'Veon Bell?

Alas, no.

I would much rather have Bell than Wells.

Bell... Wells... sounds like an AC/DC song.

Hawaii 5-0
03-15-2013, 01:00 AM
Alas, no.

I would much rather have Bell than Wells.

Bell... Wells... sounds like an AC/DC song.

http://oneoman.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/u74_2averta.jpg

ZoneBlitzer
03-15-2013, 02:59 AM
AFAIK Mendy had only one major knee injury that kept him sidelined.

Fire Haley
03-15-2013, 07:21 AM
Beanie said that his Mom laid out his clothes like it was his 1st day of school. Said he's on his way to Pittsburgh. Looks like he will sign tomorrow....

so we're going replace Mendy with someone that was notorious for being injured in college and carried that over to the pros, lacks receiving and pass blocking ability, had a bad case of fumbleitis and tripped over the chalk lines so much he developed turf toe?

shoot me now!

pete74
03-15-2013, 07:36 AM
so we're going replace Mendy with someone that was notorious for being injured in college and carried that over to the pros, lacks receiving and pass blocking ability, had a bad case of fumbleitis and tripped over the chalk lines so much he developed turf toe?

shoot me now!

Agreed. I think I would rather have Mendenhall. We need a starting caliber 3 down RB andBeanie iisn't it. He is a backup

Terminator
03-15-2013, 07:44 AM
If we sign Beanie, then I have officially lost faith in the Steelers FO.

What a terrible, horrible decision.

steelfury02
03-15-2013, 07:46 AM
this stable of backups crap has to go if we seriously want to contend

if anyone of those 3 goes down we are in serious trouble because then its breakfast time for defenses and Ben will go down again - guaranteed - it already happened this season with 4 mediocre RBs - sure, we're going to get a hundred yard performance a few times this season - someone will have a good game - but consistent production from that position at this rate? No

What are the chances they DON'T draft a top 3-5 RB? I think there is something wrong with the decision making if we don't try and get one - just my two cents

Fire Haley
03-15-2013, 07:59 AM
this stable of backups crap has to go if we seriously want to contend

couldn't agree more, we need a young stud playmaker at RB

Terminator
03-15-2013, 08:04 AM
Hopefully the cycle of playing 4 backs in 1 game comes to an end. We need a solid starter and we need to stick with him. I cannot stand the way we cycled backs in 2012.

steelfury02
03-15-2013, 08:06 AM
couldn't agree more, we need a young stud playmaker at RB

yessir - I'd like to see someone know exactly the type of player they want to be, know exactly what type of Steeler RB they want to be, and make a niche for themselves on this team- even if we got Willie Parker type production for 3-4 few seasons it would be worth it. 1100-1300 yards/season from a guy is usually the norm for a contending Steelers team. That 08' offense = was an anomaly and should not be the expected norm

steelfury02
03-15-2013, 08:09 AM
Hopefully the cycle of playing 4 backs in 1 game comes to an end. We need a solid starter and we need to stick with him. I cannot stand the way we cycled backs in 2012.

the cycling didn't bother me when our O-line and QB were healthy and we were spreading the ball around to 10 different weapons - I think the idea of utilizing various weapons against certain teams in certain situations was very creative - but, once the O-line and QB went - who was there to take some of the pressure off Leftwich and Chaz? No one - Mendy did that in 10' for the first four games and in general was a great back that season.

That Browns game was the epitome of pitiful - however, a lot of crap going on seeped into a lot of players minds - I think the part of the mental plague is gone though - time will tell

Vis
03-15-2013, 08:15 AM
the cycling didn't bother me when our O-line and QB were healthy and we were spreading the ball around to 10 different weapons - I think the idea of utilizing various weapons against certain teams in certain situations was very creative - but, once the O-line and QB went - who was there to take some of the pressure off Leftwich and Chaz? No one - Mendy did that in 10' for the first four games and in general was a great back that season.

That Browns game was the epitome of pitiful - however, a lot of crap going on seeped into a lot of players minds - I think the part of the mental plague is gone though - time will tell

The Oline went in the preseason

steelfury02
03-15-2013, 08:18 AM
The Oline went in the preseason

can't agree - I always go back to the first Cincy game. They were gelling all the ways into the KC game and Ben was taking less hits and his sacks were lower at that time compared to other seasons - the scheme was also responsible for that

Waiting for the "playing scared" comment form GoFor7 in 3,2,1 . . .

ebsteelers
03-15-2013, 10:00 AM
we changed backs more then i change underwear and that shouldnt be the case.

granted it will help if the o line stays healthy all year..

Fire Haley
03-15-2013, 10:06 AM
for your amusement..

Steelers Running Back Situation Shaky

PITTSBURGH (93-7 The Fan) – These three guys aren’t going to cut it.

The Steelers better find a better running back.

As it stands now, in the middle of the free agency window and with the NFL Draft on the horizon, it appears the Steelers’ plan into the 2013 season is to roll with this triumvirate of running backs — Jonathan Dwyer, Isaac Redman and Baron Batch.

They are, in order: Chronically winded, underwhelming and unproven

Even if the Steelers do go out and sign a player such as Beanie Wells in free agency, is a player who has been injury-riddled the past few years the true answer?

If the Steelers do, by some chance, select rookie running back Eddie Lacy from Alabama with the No. 17 pick, will he be able to quickly assimilate into the offense and become a force?

The thought here to both those previous questions is a resounding “no.”

Running Rashard Mendenhall out of town — or him running himself out of town, however you look at it —- might have satisfied some, but the fundamental question is this: Are the Steelers better at running back right now?

There’s simply no way to spin that they are.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2013/03/14/steelers-running-back-situation-shaky/

steelfury02
03-15-2013, 10:13 AM
Thanks killer - I'm not as high on Lacy as some people are - I see a potential work ethic attitude from him - there's something about him that just doesn't rub me the right way, especially considering what we've heard about the locker room nonsense. I need a guy that has something to prove - not someone that isn't doing combine or pro day - not saying that participation makes or breaks my decision on someone - but, I see a north south guy that won't improve our situation much. I think we're going to have to get creative with O-line blocking and getting the ball out in space a little more. We need someone that can get to perimeter and at least fall forward inside. I pretty much agree with this article.

Fire Haley
03-15-2013, 10:16 AM
there's a lot more in the article at the link,- but it's all about Mendy and i've already wiped him from my memory

Jonathan Dwyer, Isaac Redman and Baron Batch.

I thought that was pretty funny

steelfury02
03-15-2013, 10:17 AM
there's a lot more in the article at the link,- but it's all about Mendy and i've already wiped him from my memory

Jonathan Dwyer, Isaac Redman and Baron Batch.

I thought that was pretty funny

yea, I'm done with Mendy and honestly, didn't bother clicking the link - what you quoted said enough already lol

Steel_Bus_24
03-15-2013, 10:25 AM
tV6hW2ggiO4

knile davis is my rb crush this year that I hope we can find a way to snag....preferably in the 4th...but his combine speed might have moved him up big time

He was looking jacked

http://media.arkansasonline.com/img/photos/2013/02/24/NFL_Combine_Football_Jone_copy_r600x400.jpg?689b03 237e9432d372b8e4e059d8b6cfaff1b604

teegre
03-15-2013, 10:36 AM
Lattimore, Bell, and Davis. One of them would make for a nice draft.

Steel Peon
03-15-2013, 10:40 AM
we need a young stud playmaker at RB

While trying hard not to sound like a dick, I'm really dumbfounded as to why this keeps being said. For one, because it's a no-brainer that a young stud RB would help.......one of those would help anybody........but it's not a NEED. For two, because we've won our 2 most recent SBs without some young stud RB. And for 3.....well I'll just quote myself here:

Remember, the Colts won the SB in '06 simply using a 1-2 RB combo of Rhodes and Addai, and I see our tandem being slightly better than that, so all we need is Ben to use them as smartly as Peyton used his.

Let's also not forget that it's an extreme rarity when a rookie RB helps a team win a SB, and our NEEDS go a bit beyond the RB position. I mean really, can't we just be happy with having the Redman and Dwyer tamdem for even a minute without somebody bellyaching about our needs at RB?

WokeUpWithaWoodley
03-15-2013, 10:41 AM
Lattimore, Bell, and Davis. One of them would make for a nice draft.

Would love bell. Davis is interesting to me had such a good 2010 season then got injured thn this past year had some trouble holding on the ball.

But if wells is signed I can't see us picking a back before the 6th so those 3 guys will not be available.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
03-15-2013, 10:45 AM
While trying hard not to sound like a dick, I'm really dumbfounded as to why this keeps being said. For one, because it's a no-brainer that a young stud RB would help.......one of those would help anybody........but it's not a NEED. For two, because we've won our 2 most recent SBs without some young stud RB. And for 3.....well I'll just quote myself here:

Let's also not forget that it's an extreme rarity when a rookie RB helps a team win a SB, and our NEEDS go a bit beyond the RB position. I mean really, can't we just be happy with having the Redman and Dwyer tamdem for even a minute without somebody bellyaching about our needs at RB?

The problem with the Dwyer redman combo is there the same back almost the exact same. Running back tandems work if you have the speed and power back.

LVSteelersfan
03-15-2013, 10:46 AM

Batch won't make the team. He is worthless. There is no way they draft a RB with their first pick. Maybe the second pick but I doubt it. We need a safety especially with Ryan Mundy leaving. He wasn't good, but who else is there? Signing Beanie Wells is a joke. He hasn't stayed on the field. Probably won't even make it through camp.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
03-15-2013, 10:55 AM
At first when I saw we would be looking at wells I wasn't to happy. But after thinking about it I kinda like it.

Wells yes had has injury concerns with he cards, but that could be due to playing on turf all the time a grass field might be a good change for him. We all think wells is just another power back but he does have decent speed more than redman and Dwyer at least. He still has upside and I would be happy to have him as a steeler.

Also another note if wells in signed I wouldn't think to badly of our rb situation esp since Dwyer has re focused himself this offseason to conditioning he could gain some of that speed he had on college.

Fire Haley
03-15-2013, 11:02 AM
can't we just be happy with having the Redman and Dwyer tamdem for even a minute

it's an extreme rarity when a rookie RB helps a team win a SB

no, they wouldn't start on any other team in the NFL - why should we settle for mediocrity?

Colts won SB with Joseph Addai in 2006. Ravens did it with Jamal Lewis, not as rare as you think.

Stinky Fred
03-15-2013, 11:16 AM
tV6hW2ggiO4

knile davis is my rb crush this year that I hope we can find a way to snag....preferably in the 4th...but his combine speed might have moved him up big time

He was looking jacked

Kid reminds me of OJ Simpson. Same build. Same style.

Stinky Fred
03-15-2013, 11:20 AM
Chronically winded...

He's channeling Silverback (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8c8ya_saturday-night-live-update-james-ha_fun#.UUNJ7VfwInE).

SteelersCanada
03-15-2013, 12:16 PM
now that's a much better idea

speaking of Canada

I just watched the Toronto feed tonight of the Pens game...they had a Molson beer commercial of 2 chicks kissing underwater in a swimming pool.

What the hell is up with that?

http://i50.tinypic.com/294oq51.jpg

In all seriousness, I didn't watch the game tonight so I'm not sure which one it is.

Fire Haley
03-15-2013, 12:35 PM
I didn't watch the game tonight so I'm not sure which one it is.

it was just a sec at the end - but my eagle eye spotted it

crazy Canuckians

8WAsV0HZ0D4

CanuckCurtain
03-15-2013, 01:16 PM
it was just a sec at the end - but my eagle eye spotted it

crazy Canuckians

8WAsV0HZ0D4

lol Nice Killer

only crazy ones drink that piss...probably close to the worst canadian beer imo

WokeUpWithaWoodley
03-15-2013, 02:04 PM
Beanie wells found to have a bad wheel according to dulac

So its a no go.
Now go get bell

Hawaii 5-0
03-15-2013, 02:15 PM
Beanie wells found to have a bad wheel according to dulac

So its a no go.
Now go get bell

completely agree...

NO to Beanie, YES to Bell.

Fire Haley
03-15-2013, 02:40 PM
told you he was damaged goods

Beanie Wells' 'bad wheel' quashing Steelers signing?

The Pittsburgh Steelers hosted Wells for a Friday visit, but a signing isn't likely to be forthcoming. One source tells the Post-Gazette that Wells was found to have a "bad wheel."

Although Wells did miss lose half of the 2012 season to a turf toe injury, it's a good bet that the knee is the "wheel" in question.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000151119/article/beanie-wells-bad-wheel-quashing-steelers-signing

TheVet
03-15-2013, 02:44 PM
Yesterday I was excited about Beanie, figuring that the Steelers had found a cheap, low risk, high reward type situation. But I guess the knee didn't pan out, so it wasn't worth it even for cheap.

Well, we're still sitting in a fine position with Dwyer and Redman, but we need more bodies, because that's all we've got. Thankfully, there are plenty of young backs out there for the late rounds. And thankfully, RB is far from the biggest area of concern for this team.

gameface75
03-16-2013, 04:20 PM
get him a pair of gray sweats, and he can pick-up where Deuce Staly left off.

Vis
03-16-2013, 04:28 PM
He'll never play on that leg again. My fearless prediction.

Yep..........

austinfrench76
03-16-2013, 10:24 PM
I said I thought we were going to sign him. I was wrong so next...

austinfrench76
03-16-2013, 10:24 PM
We still need to bring in a vet RB though...

Steel Peon
03-17-2013, 10:00 AM
Colts won SB with Joseph Addai in 2006. Ravens did it with Jamal Lewis, not as rare as you think.

Addai was not the starter for the Colts in '06, in fact he shared running duties with Dominic Rhodes. Although, he was the first non-starting RB to gain 1,000 yds in a season. I also don't see Redman or Dwyer being any worse than Mendenhall, and of our recent runners, only Willie Parker would be marginally better.