PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign Greg Warren

Fire Haley
03-14-2013, 12:07 AM
welp - I guess we're done with free agency now...

Steelers Free Agency: Team re-signs veteran longsnapper Greg Warren

The Pittsburgh Steelers announced in an official press release today, they have re-signed veteran long-snapper Greg Warren, who has been with the team since signing with them in 2005 as an un-drafted free-agent out of North Carolina University.

The report says he was signed to a one-year deal. For a player who entered the league in 2005, his minimum CBA base salary would be $840k; but like most signings, financial terms were not disclosed in the release.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/3/13/4101110/steelers-free-agency-team-re-signs-veteran-longsnapper-greg-warren

harrison'samonster
03-14-2013, 12:11 AM
not sure I like this one, don't like spending extra money on somebody who snaps the ball on SP teams.

Laces out!

Fire Haley
03-14-2013, 12:19 AM
not sure I like this one

you don't have a choice - most if not all teams have a dedicated long snapper

OX1947
03-14-2013, 12:32 AM
Who?

Hawaii 5-0
03-14-2013, 01:56 AM
good signing, you don't really appreciate a good LS until you don't have one and Greg Warren is as dependable as they come.

Fire Haley
03-14-2013, 02:46 AM
Who?

he's your daddy

mom was waiting till you're old enough to tell you

Buddha Bus
03-14-2013, 03:30 AM
Damn! I was really hoping we'd re-sign James Harrison for that gig. :banging:

Galax Steeler
03-14-2013, 03:31 AM
Long snappers are a need if you don't have someone that can get that ball back there quick then you are in trouble on punts.

Terminator
03-14-2013, 05:48 AM
I'm not going to lie, I am so jealous of all of these other teams that seem to have no problem whatsoever grabbing the hottest free agents available.

I absolutely HATE the Steelers philosophy of never signing proven FA's. Can anyone remember that last established player we signed since Jerome Bettis?

Bayz101
03-14-2013, 06:02 AM
I'm not going to lie, I am so jealous of all of these other teams that seem to have no problem whatsoever grabbing the hottest free agents available.

I absolutely HATE the Steelers philosophy of never signing proven FA's. Can anyone remember that last established player we signed since Jerome Bettis?

Dude, all of these teams sign big name players and fail to win the Super Bowl. I believe we're doing a great job, and considering Greg Warren most certainly IS an established player and solid LS, this is irrelevant altogether.

Vis
03-14-2013, 06:24 AM

Count the rings for the teams who win March.

Steelers>NFL
03-14-2013, 06:58 AM

Steelers traded for Bettis. They did not sign him via FA.

Fire Haley
03-14-2013, 09:29 AM
Can anyone remember that last established player we signed

We just signed him - William Gay.

but there were others

Farrior in 2002 was signed as a FA, he was pretty good

then of course there was this.,,,

2004 Steelers sign free-agent Duce Staley

PITTSBURGH (AP) — Duce Staley signed a five-year contract worth $14 million with the Pittsburgh Steelers on Tuesday. Staley, a running back the last seven seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles, is expected to help the Steelers, who ranked 31st in the rushing attack — the worst-ever ranking under Coach Bill Cowher

Vis
03-14-2013, 09:45 AM

but there were others

Farrior in 2002 was signed as a FA, he was pretty good

then of course there was this.,,,

2004 Steelers sign free-agent Duce Staley

PITTSBURGH (AP) Duce Staley signed a five-year contract worth $14 million with the Pittsburgh Steelers on Tuesday. Staley, a running back the last seven seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles, is expected to help the Steelers, who ranked 31st in the rushing attack the worst-ever ranking under Coach Bill Cowher

5 years for $14M was cheap.

Terminator
03-14-2013, 09:53 AM

That's hilarious.

Wait a minute. You don't consider William Gay worth a crap, do you?

Fire Haley
03-14-2013, 09:54 AM
5 years for $14M was cheap.

them's the good old days

Famous Amos!

The Steelers may release running back Amos Zereoue to make room for Staley. Zereoue is due to make $2.2 million this season.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/steelers/2004-03-09-staley_x.htm

SH-Rock
03-14-2013, 09:56 AM
Remember when the Eagles went on a shopping spree.

Fire Haley
03-14-2013, 10:08 AM
That's hilarious.

and yet I get no karma, I don't work for free

Neil-Still-Rules-14
03-14-2013, 01:51 PM
I honestly can't remember the last time the Steelers signed someone who was considered a "big time" free agent. All of the names I can think of: Jeff Hartings, James Farrior, James Harrison, Charlie Batch, Mewelde Moore, Najeh Davenport, Jerricho Cotchery...they were all either busts who the Steelers took a chance on, or role players.

GMU Steeler
03-14-2013, 01:59 PM
I honestly can't remember the last time the Steelers signed someone who was considered a "big time" free agent. All of the names I can think of: Jeff Hartings, James Farrior, James Harrison, Charlie Batch, Mewelde Moore, Najeh Davenport, Jerricho Cotchery...they were all either busts who the Steelers took a chance on, or role players.

Ryan Clark ended up being a good signing. James Harrison was a UDFA.

TheVet
03-14-2013, 02:56 PM
Flozell!

harrison'samonster
03-14-2013, 02:58 PM
Flozell!

I agree. not often you can spot somebody on an offensive line because they are SO big.

tony hipchest
03-14-2013, 03:04 PM
no love for norm johnson? My favorite FA signing was kevin greene.

greg warren, while a good player and solid signing, im not overly thrilled.

the steelers win or go to the SB every year they have a new long snapper-

mike schneck
greg warren
jarod retofsky

LVSteelersfan
03-14-2013, 03:06 PM
REPEAT FOR THE UMPTEEMPTH TIME. The Steelers DO NOT have any money to sign expensive free agents. They do all their damage through the draft and just pick up role players to fill in the other positions. It is a philosophy that works. They got rid of James Harrison. They will find his replacement come draft time if Worilds does not work out.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
03-14-2013, 05:26 PM
Ryan Clark ended up being a good signing. James Harrison was a UDFA.

Forgot about Clark! He was considered an above-average safety in Washington, right? Now he's considered to be one of the better ones in the league. A good example of a Steelers free agent.

As for Harrison, yes, he was originally an undrafted free agent when he signed with the Steelers, but he was cut and signed by the Ravens and spent time in NFL Europe. Only after this did he get his real shot with the Steelers, and the rest is history.

tony hipchest
03-14-2013, 05:43 PM
Forgot about Clark! He was considered an above-average safety in Washington, right? Now he's considered to be one of the better ones in the league. A good example of a Steelers free agent.
.he was lowly regarded in washington. so lowly regarded they spent big FA bucks on the great white hype- adam archuletta to replace him.

OliverPoop
03-14-2013, 11:23 PM
REPEAT FOR THE UMPTEEMPTH TIME. The Steelers DO NOT have any money to sign expensive free agents. They do all their damage through the draft and just pick up role players to fill in the other positions. It is a philosophy that works. They got rid of James Harrison. They will find his replacement come draft time if Worilds does not work out.

If by "damage" you mean drafting poorly in the mid to later rounds than you are correct.

Maybe if the Steelers would stop resigning every mediocre player they would have more room.

tony hipchest
03-14-2013, 11:36 PM
If by "damage" you mean drafting poorly in the mid to later rounds than you are correct.

Maybe if the Steelers would stop resigning every mediocre player they would have more room.

one bad season, and all of a sudden kevin colbert suck at the mid-round draft.

wallace and k. lewis beg to differ.

colbert and co. have built teams that have gone to the SB 3 times in the past 10 years. only the patriots can say that.

no gm can.

scott pioli can beat his drum as his unemployed ass mades his daily appearance on sirius radio and the NFL network. :thumbsup:

teegre
03-14-2013, 11:42 PM
no love for norm johnson? My favorite FA signing was kevin greene.

greg warren, while a good player and solid signing, im not overly thrilled.

the steelers win or go to the SB every year they have a new long snapper-

mike schneck
greg warren
jarod retofsky

Wasn't each of them replaced due to a knee injury?

Ergo... I think that Marcus Gilbert should go roller-skating with Greg Warren.

tony hipchest
03-15-2013, 12:02 AM
Wasn't each of them replaced due to a knee injury?

Ergo... I think that Marcus Gilbert should go roller-skating with Greg Warren.

schneck was in warrens position... a solid veteran who earned leagues minimum pay for a veteran player. he was a cap casualty in camp (to save about half a mil) and the steelers went with warren (who im pretty sure was a rookie).

retofsky replaced james harrison who tried to replace warren after his season ending knee injury.

Fire Haley
03-15-2013, 12:15 AM
one bad season, and all of a sudden kevin colbert suck at the mid-round draft.

more than one

PPG -The loss of Mendenhall and Mundy leaves the Steelers with no players left from their 2008 draft class.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-lewis-goes-home-signs-with-saints-679428/

austinfrench76
03-15-2013, 12:18 AM
Always good news???