PDA

View Full Version : Art Rooney II - Tough free agency decisions for Steelers familiar

Fire Haley
03-14-2013, 01:20 PM
Remain calm...

http://db66abc2c256b763aaef-ce5d943d4869ae027976e5ad085dd9b0.r76.cf2.rackcdn.c om/2013/72/750/steelers-president-art-rooney-ii_420.jpg

Rooney said the Steelers situation heading into the 2013 season is no more dire than past seasons.

"I don't view it as dramatically different than other years," Rooney said. "The recent history is, we face decisions like this almost every year in terms of making decisions on players who made key contributions. I always say, every year is a new jigsaw puzzle and you have to put together the pieces the best way you can and shaping contracts is a big part of that.

"You have to have players with contracts who fit within the system. It's a challenge every year. Sometimes you have to make decision on players like we had the last couple years that are not fun decisions."

"We're at that stage [where] it's just begun and we woill continue to look for opportunities to improve our roster," Rooney said. "That's where we are. We'll be looking at opportunities, to extent there are some, to add players to the roster that make sense. Wherever we can improve we'll try to do so."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/rooney-tough-decisions-for-steelers-every-year-this-one-no-different-679320/

Vis
03-14-2013, 01:35 PM
His color doesn't look good.

tony hipchest
03-14-2013, 02:18 PM
Remain calm...

http://db66abc2c256b763aaef-ce5d943d4869ae027976e5ad085dd9b0.r76.cf2.rackcdn.c om/2013/72/750/steelers-president-art-rooney-ii_420.jpg

Baghdad Art?

GoFor7
03-14-2013, 02:54 PM
http://www.welovetheiraqiinformationminister.com/images/07-minister.jpg

Fire Haley
03-14-2013, 02:57 PM
can't put anything past youse guys

Vis
03-14-2013, 03:02 PM
Remain calm...

http://www.picsdrive.com/contentimages/jerry-orbach/jerry-orbach-picture-7.jpg

zcoop
03-14-2013, 06:22 PM
I personally think that Rooney II is full of shit but at least he's consistent.

He stated that they got rid of the folks who doesn't fit the system. Haley's dink and dunk is here to stay on the offensive side, so they have let go those who doesn't fit. On the defensive side Harrison and Lewis didn't fit that system either.

I hope we field a team that can compete with some of the scoring offenses that others are putting together. We've lost quite a few of our playmakers on both sides of the ball.

GoFor7
03-14-2013, 08:47 PM
I personally think that Rooney II is full of shit but at least he's consistent.

He stated that they got rid of the folks who doesn't fit the system. Haley's dink and dunk is here to stay on the offensive side, so they have let go those who doesn't fit. On the defensive side Harrison and Lewis didn't fit that system either.

I hope we field a team that can compete with some of the scoring offenses that others are putting together. We've lost quite a few of our playmakers on both sides of the ball.

Maybe it's time he realizes those systems don't work.

Of course he should also realize bad things happen when NFL owners meddle with their teams.

steeltheone
03-14-2013, 09:27 PM
:rofl:http://www.welovetheiraqiinformationminister.com/images/07-minister.jpg

teegre
03-14-2013, 10:41 PM
Maybe it's time he realizes those systems don't work.

Of course he should also realize bad things happen when NFL owners meddle with their teams.

Art Rooney wanted Dan Marino, and Dan Rooney forced Bill Cowher to take BB (when Cowher wanted to draft Shawn Andrews instead).

Meddling... indeed.

But, hey, if you like Mark Malone better than Dan Marino AND Tommy Maddox better than BB, that is entirely your opinion...
...with both "your" and "opinion" being the operative words.

GoFor7
03-15-2013, 12:10 AM
Art Rooney wanted Dan Marino, and Dan Rooney forced Bill Cowher to take BB (when Cowher wanted to draft Shawn Andrews instead).

Meddling... indeed.

But, hey, if you like Mark Malone better than Dan Marino AND Tommy Maddox better than BB, that is entirely your opinion...
...with both "your" and "opinion" being the operative words.

There's a difference between the owner wanting the team to draft a franchise QB when they are stuck in mediocrity and an owner trying to dictate the offensive game plan because his head is stuck in the 70's.

No more knee-jerking from you teegre. Just remain calm like Baghdad Artie wants you to.

teegre
03-15-2013, 12:23 AM
There's a difference between the owner wanting the team to draft a franchise QB when they are stuck in mediocrity and an owner trying to dictate the offensive game plan because his head is stuck in the 70's.

No more knee-jerking from you teegre. Just remain calm like Baghdad Artie wants you to.

Knee jerking... LOL

Knee jerking would be if I was replying to your post the first time you stated your opinion.

What I am doing is replying bluntly to the same mundane drivel that you post ad nauseum.

Lady Steel
03-15-2013, 02:02 AM
Remain calm...

Rooney said the Steelers situation heading into the 2013 season is no more dire than past seasons.

"I don't view it as dramatically different than other years," Rooney said. "The recent history is, we face decisions like this almost every year in terms of making decisions on players who made key contributions. I always say, every year is a new jigsaw puzzle and you have to put together the pieces the best way you can and shaping contracts is a big part of that.

"You have to have players with contracts who fit within the system. It's a challenge every year. Sometimes you have to make decision on players like we had the last couple years that are not fun decisions."

"We're at that stage [where] it's just begun and we woill continue to look for opportunities to improve our roster," Rooney said. "That's where we are. We'll be looking at opportunities, to extent there are some, to add players to the roster that make sense. Wherever we can improve we'll try to do so."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/rooney-tough-decisions-for-steelers-every-year-this-one-no-different-679320/

:blah: :blah: :blah:

In other words, the standard is the standard. (sigh)

GoFor7
03-15-2013, 10:17 AM
Knee jerking... LOL

Knee jerking would be if I was replying to your post the first time you stated your opinion.

What I am doing is replying bluntly to the same mundane drivel that you post ad nauseum.

http://www.welovetheiraqiinformationminister.com/images/07-minister.jpg

Just remain calm.

steelfury02
03-15-2013, 10:23 AM
GoFor7 - do you have an alert set up for Haley, Ownership, Scheme with an out of office auto-response?

I bet you'll say my head is in the sand, or that the Steelers refuse to live in the modern NFL. Or, I bet you'll continue to give zero credit to anyone when the Steelers coaches or ownership make a right move and be first in line to say it was all Ben's talent that overcame everyone's shortcomings.

Do you have any insight into anything to be happy about or should we expect more of the same until they call you to run things?

GoFor7
03-15-2013, 10:59 AM
GoFor7 - do you have an alert set up for Haley, Ownership, Scheme with an out of office auto-response?

I bet you'll say my head is in the sand, or that the Steelers refuse to live in the modern NFL. Or, I bet you'll continue to give zero credit to anyone when the Steelers coaches or ownership make a right move and be first in line to say it was all Ben's talent that overcame everyone's shortcomings.

Do you have any insight into anything to be happy about or should we expect more of the same until they call you to run things?

Lolz. You guys get so angry at anyone that doesn't blindly wave the black and gold pom-poms.

harrison'samonster
03-15-2013, 11:05 AM
Lolz. You guys get so angry at anyone that doesn't blindly wave the black and gold pom-poms.

personally I get tired of hearing people say the same negative things over and over. oh well. The Steelers will still be around and winning in the future.

steelfury02
03-15-2013, 11:15 AM

no, you're just painfully negative

my pom poms are more black and yellow actually :chuckle:

GoFor7
03-15-2013, 12:09 PM
no, you're just painfully negative

my pom poms are more black and yellow actually :chuckle:

Perhaps because the truth is painfully negative.

harrison'samonster
03-15-2013, 12:21 PM
Perhaps because the truth is painfully negative.

well, entropy is common to everything, but I don't want to get on here and read it over and over.

GoFor7
03-15-2013, 02:12 PM
well, entropy is common to everything, but I don't want to get on here and read it over and over.

Well I don't want to come in here and read "DA STILLERZ IZ STILL CONTENDERS N'AT!" when it's clearly not true.

harrison'samonster
03-15-2013, 02:42 PM
Well I don't want to come in here and read "DA STILLERZ IZ STILL CONTENDERS N'AT!" when it's clearly not true.

then don't get on here. This is a forum for Steelers fans, if your upset that we are rooting for them I don't know what to tell you.

GoFor7
03-15-2013, 03:24 PM
then don't get on here. This is a forum for Steelers fans, if your upset that we are rooting for them I don't know what to tell you.

So being a fan means you have to blindly wave pom-poms?

harrison'samonster
03-15-2013, 03:46 PM
So being a fan means you have to blindly wave pom-poms?

no, but coming on a forum and blindly throwing around your shit is trolling.

teegre
03-15-2013, 04:16 PM

We know.

You were not around when the Steelers were 6-3... and rolling.

You were not around when BB was having an MVP season.

Nope, you started your banal posts after BB got injured.

SteelersCanada
03-15-2013, 04:19 PM
When the Steelers had the ball 35+ minutes / game, they won. Every time. Knock "possession football" all you want, but it works. No one is saying we should return to primarily running the ball and throwing as a secondary option. In fact, I've never seen anyone say that on here. So, if you're going to keep posting in all capitals and calling us "yinzer nation", please make sure people are actually saying the things you're mocking us for.

GoFor7
03-15-2013, 05:23 PM
Sorry I watched the playoffs games and learned how badly out of touch the Steelers really were last season. Sorry I don't hang my hat on three games out of 16.

I hear a lot of "oh look at how many times they threw the ball..." followed by some numbers. Can none of you expand your knowledge of the game beyond the stat sheet? If you watched the games, then there is no possible way you can say the Steelers unleashed Ben (until the final 2 minutes that is).

Today's NFL isn't about possession or balance, it's about points. The more points you can score and the faster you can score them, the better. Having the #1 ranked defense in yards or being top in the league in time of possession is meaningless.

"But it will keep Ben safe!"

How about this: a) if you want rewarded, you have to take risks. Won't matter if Ben is healthy when you're 7-9. b) Maybe instead of blaming Ben it's time that o-line played up to its pedigree. They spent the high-draft picks, now it's time they play like it.

What you all either fail to understand or are too stubborn to understand is that the Steelers do not dictate how football is played, the NFL does. The Steelers can choose to continue to fight it and stay in mediocrity, or they can embrace it and possibly become contenders again.

FrancoLambert
03-15-2013, 07:01 PM
Hate to butt in....but I will.

Objectivity can be portrayed as negativity.

Of course, some can overdo it.

But realistically, now is not the time to wave black and gold/yellow pom-poms.

We will not be a serious contender next year. We've lost too much.

However, the mother of all drafts could ressurect us.

harrison'samonster
03-15-2013, 07:21 PM
Hate to butt in....but I will.

Objectivity can be portrayed as negativity.

Of course, some can overdo it.

But realistically, now is not the time to wave black and gold/yellow pom-poms.

We will not be a serious contender next year. We've lost too much.

However, the mother of all drafts could ressurect us.

objective negativity is fine, even great most of the time. There are people on here who are very objective and some of the stuff they say is negative. I appreciate and respect it. But bashing isn't objective, and repeating something over and over doesn't make it true.

I'm waiting for the draft, camp, and pre-season before I'll start believing we aren't going to be a contender. At this point to me health is still the bigger issue than the players we're losing.