PDA

View Full Version : SAINTS SIGN LEWIS

Vis
03-13-2013, 01:00 PM
BTSC Steelers ‏<s>@</s>btsteelcurtain (https://twitter.com/btsteelcurtain) RT <s>@</s>KeenanLewis23 (https://twitter.com/KeenanLewis23): Taking a drive down Airline Dr. To visit with the New Orleans Saints!!!

Steelers>NFL
03-13-2013, 01:02 PM
they can not afford Lewis. they were is big salary cap hell!

Hawaii 5-0
03-13-2013, 01:02 PM
makes sense, Keenan Lewis is from the New Orleans area and the Saints badly need help at the CB position.

Terminator
03-13-2013, 01:07 PM
There was no way we were going to keep him, nor should we. Not for the price he expects.

Vis
03-13-2013, 01:09 PM
Speaking of Saints:

BBC Breaking News ‏@BBCBreaking

White smoke coming out of chimney above Sistine Chapel, meaning #conclave has elected new #Pope http://bbc.in/X7ogwB #whitesmoke

kan_t
03-13-2013, 01:20 PM
makes sense, Keenan Lewis is from the New Orleans area and the Saints badly need help at the CB position.
I will be very surprise if the Steelers couldn't match any offer the Saints put on the table.

SteelersCanada
03-13-2013, 01:38 PM
The Saints are still in the shittiest cap situation in the NFL and they think they're going to throw together cap money to sign Lewis? This isn't happening.

harrison'samonster
03-13-2013, 01:41 PM
I will be very surprise if the Steelers couldn't match any offer the Saints put on the table.

I'm hoping the Steelers give it a shot. The defensive secondary we have is as good as it gets. Especially if Troy stays healthy throughout the season. However, if we lose Lewis, we've still got Allen, Gay, and Brown.

Fire Haley
03-13-2013, 01:42 PM

huh? it's not like they have the option of matching offers, he's an UFA

he signs, he's gone

pete74
03-13-2013, 01:46 PM
I hope we keep him. We can have a very good secondary if he stays. I'm afraid were going to lose him and Allen or Taylor gets hurt and were back to Gay starting on the outside with Brown in the nickel and that would be bad

tony hipchest
03-13-2013, 01:47 PM

he signs, he's gone

,he still has the right to go back to the steelers with any and every offer he gets to see if they will match it. UFA's do it all the time.

VaDave
03-13-2013, 01:49 PM
Killer,

Are you sure Lewis is a UFA?

Fire Haley
03-13-2013, 02:07 PM
Killer,

Are you sure Lewis is a UFA?

100%

would you like 200 links to prove it?

VaDave
03-13-2013, 02:12 PM
Killer

No, just a simple yes or no would suffice. I'm not that hard to get a long with. I trust you. LOL!!

Back to the subject at hand, the message from Colbert was to check the market, come back and see us and maybe we can work things out. Lewis would have nothing to lose by requesting a counter offer by the Steelers.

Fire Haley
03-13-2013, 02:36 PM
he still has the right to go back to the steelers with any and every offer he gets to see if they will match it. UFA's do it all the time.

yeah but I don't see teams lowballing him enough for what the Steelers could afford to give him

it would take a miracle for him to come back

---------------

Keenan Lewis visiting with New Orleans Saints

The Pittsburgh Steelers don't want to lose Keenan Lewis, but the free-agent cornerback won't be easy to re-sign. Especially with a potential suitor closing in.

We have Lewis ranked as our fifth-best available corner.

He's part of a talent-rich group that hasn't been plucked off the market as quickly as some expected. He sits behind Brent Grimes, Sean Smith, Aqib Talib and Antoine Winfield on our list, but Lewis is an ascending player who's just 26 years old. It's easy to see why the Saints are intrigued.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000150381/article/keenan-lewis-visiting-with-new-orleans-saints

VaDave
03-13-2013, 02:44 PM
yeah but I don't see teams lowballing him enough for what the Steelers could afford to give him

it would take a miracle for him to come back

---------------

Keenan Lewis visiting with New Orleans Saints

The Pittsburgh Steelers don't want to lose Keenan Lewis, but the free-agent cornerback won't be easy to re-sign. Especially with a potential suitor closing in.

We have Lewis ranked as our fifth-best available corner.

He's part of a talent-rich group that hasn't been plucked off the market as quickly as some expected. He sits behind Brent Grimes, Sean Smith, Aqib Talib and Antoine Winfield on our list, but Lewis is an ascending player who's just 26 years old. It's easy to see why the Saints are intrigued.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000150381/article/keenan-lewis-visiting-with-new-orleans-saints

Killer,

I'm with you on this. I think he's gets a creditable offer we will not match, or will not be willing to match.

That said, there been a lot, a whole lot of stupid moves so far in FA... some of the CBs now on the market have a lot more street cred than Lewis, and may drive his value down a bit, but ultimately, I think he's going to move on.

Fire Haley
03-13-2013, 02:52 PM
I'd rather the Saints get him than the Browns, that's how I look at it

TheVet
03-13-2013, 02:57 PM
There are lots of high quality CBs in the free agency market, and lots of quality CBs coming in the draft this year. I think we still have a shot at matching a reasonable offer, and I think there's some chance that the offer could be reasonable. Remember, there's only one year of performance to go on - and other teams know that too.

I'm going to stay hopeful.

VaDave
03-13-2013, 03:03 PM
Killer,

You think the Browns even need him? I though their Corners weren't too bad, and could be even better considering the upgrade to their front 7. Thoughts?

Hawaii 5-0
03-13-2013, 03:07 PM
Killer,

You think the Browns even need him? I though their Corners weren't too bad, and could be even better considering the upgrade to their front 7. Thoughts?

the Browns don't really have a decent CB besides Joe Haden.

Fire Haley
03-13-2013, 03:12 PM
what he said

everybody wants to be me

austinfrench76
03-13-2013, 03:23 PM
No cap space and it's his hometown team. Nothing to see here. They will ask him how badly he wants to be a Saint. He will say "show me the money" and the GM will "show him the door"...

TRH
03-13-2013, 03:23 PM
the Saints could end up making the room if they had to.

Their defense was atrocious and needs upgraded RIGHT now. Don't be suprised if this signing happens.

zcoop
03-13-2013, 06:24 PM
the Saints could end up making the room if they had to.

Their defense was atrocious and needs upgraded RIGHT now. Don't be suprised if this signing happens.

It would be shocking, the Ain'ts ain't got enough money to sign Lewis. At least, I hope they don't.

cowherpower
03-13-2013, 10:19 PM
I'm hoping the Steelers give it a shot. The defensive secondary we have is as good as it gets. Especially if Troy stays healthy throughout the season. However, if we lose Lewis, we've still got Allen, Gay, and Brown.

Ike is on the decline in a big way. He is really showing his age and needs to hold a lot to keep receivers from separating. His best days are well behind him. Troy cannot stay healthy. He also, due to age or injury, seems to have put on a few pounds and for sure lost a step. He is no longer elite. Maybe out of the league in a year or two. Lewis is very average. Allen has potential but it remains to be seen if he can step into Lewis' shoes, let alone Ike. Clark is solid but also getting older and he can't have too many seasons left. Oh, and if God forbid the playoff scenario has us traveling to Denver, he can't play. Helped cost us two years ago.

Our secondary is smoke and mirrors. Ike is a number 2 at this point. We have no #1. Injuries and age have made it imperative that Allen be a true shutdown corner and we draft a future #2 because Brown seems bad, and also a replacement safety. That is just to put us in the conversation of best secondaries in the league. We are in the bottom third and having to pray great players fall to us in the draft because honestly, we also really need LB, WR, and RB as well.

harrison'samonster
03-13-2013, 10:35 PM
Ike is on the decline in a big way. He is really showing his age and needs to hold a lot to keep receivers from separating. His best days are well behind him. Troy cannot stay healthy. He also, due to age or injury, seems to have put on a few pounds and for sure lost a step. He is no longer elite. Maybe out of the league in a year or two. Lewis is very average. Allen has potential but it remains to be seen if he can step into Lewis' shoes, let alone Ike. Clark is solid but also getting older and he can't have too many seasons left. Oh, and if God forbid the playoff scenario has us traveling to Denver, he can't play. Helped cost us two years ago.

Our secondary is smoke and mirrors. Ike is a number 2 at this point. We have no #1. Injuries and age have made it imperative that Allen be a true shutdown corner and we draft a future #2 because Brown seems bad, and also a replacement safety. That is just to put us in the conversation of best secondaries in the league. We are in the bottom third and having to pray great players fall to us in the draft because honestly, we also really need LB, WR, and RB as well.

Ike's been put down a lot throughout his career. Clark has gotten very little respect throughout his career even among Steeler fans. I'm not counting Polamalu out until he's officially done. Personally, I think our secondary will be fine.

How can you put us in the bottom 3rd of the league? We had the best passing defense even without a significant pass rush.

kan_t
03-13-2013, 11:18 PM

he signs, he's gone

The Saints have no chance but lowballing him. Their cap situation is even worse than the Steelers.

Fire Haley
03-13-2013, 11:30 PM
Saints are just the first stop, most likely

Lewis, also an unrestricted free agent, posted on Twitter that he was meeting with his hometown New Orleans Saints.

Lewis, who became a starting cornerback only last season, is believed to be asking for far more money than the Steelers can afford to pay.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3646879-74/steelers-gradkowski-season#axzz2NEp9xLsr

Fire Haley
03-13-2013, 11:46 PM
CB's are going fast - Lewis could be next - looks like $5M per yr is the going rate

Chargers signed CB Derek Cox, formerly of the Jaguars, to a four-year, $20 million contract.

Broncos agreed to terms with CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie on a one-year, $5 million contract.

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football

Vis
03-14-2013, 01:12 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Next CB deal likely done is in New Orleans. Saints are close to deal with Steelers free-agent CB Keenan Lewis that could be done today.

pete74
03-14-2013, 01:16 PM

Next CB deal likely done is in New Orleans. Saints are close to deal with Steelers free-agent CB Keenan Lewis that could be done today.

Wonderful. I will be mad if we lose him and he signs for 5 million a year. I would of cut Taylor to keep Lewis. Taylor is making alot and is much older. It makes me sick that we drafted him when every team passed on him numerous times, trained him for three years when he didnt contribute then he plays one year and we lose him. Seems insane to me.

harrison'samonster
03-14-2013, 01:16 PM

oh well. We've still got Allen and Gay. I was thinking this was a player we needed to resign, but if he's asking for too much money, we'll get along without him.

If he's gone, hope he does well.

harrison'samonster
03-14-2013, 01:18 PM
Wonderful. I will be mad if we lose him and he signs for 5 million a year. I would of cut Taylor to keep Lewis. Taylor is making alot and is much older

CB might be another position we'll be looking at this draft. I don't think we can afford a high pick on one this year unless we're trading back and picking up and extra third or 2nd.

Steel_Bus_24
03-14-2013, 01:23 PM
CB instantly becomes the position Im hopping someone good falls to us in the draft.....

I want no part of watching Gay play the slot or god forbid Ike or Cortez get hurt.

6RingsAndCounting
03-14-2013, 01:43 PM
This one hurts, he was the one player I was hoping to keep

austinfrench76
03-14-2013, 01:43 PM
I can't believe we didn't even take a swing to keep him???!

Steelers>NFL
03-14-2013, 02:08 PM
Wonderful. I will be mad if we lose him and he signs for 5 million a year. I would of cut Taylor to keep Lewis. Taylor is making alot and is much older. It makes me sick that we drafted him when every team passed on him numerous times, trained him for three years when he didnt contribute then he plays one year and we lose him. Seems insane to me.

The "LeBeau Way". Defense so complicated that no rookie starts. And by time they play extensively or starts, they are in their last year of the contracts. That makes perfect sense!
Yet the Pat* can start 3 rookies in their D and do just fine.

Varg
03-14-2013, 02:21 PM
You know, I always accept what the front office does during these free agency periods. I accepted the James Harrison, Santonio Holmes, and Joey porter releases, but the loss of Lewis just to me is one of the stupidest things we've done in a long time. Such a great up and comer that we molded into a nice future superstar in Dick's defense and to end it like this.... WOW is all I can say. To me, we are officially in the "We suck" rebuilding mode. Gay seems like a great pickup now. Such a waste of a future star that would be able to take ike's spot when he leaves.

Not even a freakin offer from the steelers? If he does sign for 4 of 5 million im going to be so pissed.

harrison'samonster
03-14-2013, 02:26 PM
You know, I always accept what the front office does during these free agency periods. I accepted the James Harrison, Santonio Holmes, and Joey porter releases, but the loss of Lewis just to me is one of the stupidest things we've done in a long time. Such a great up and comer that we molded into a nice future superstar in Dick's defense and to end it like this.... WOW is all I can say. To me, we are officially in the "We suck" rebuilding mode. Gay seems like a great pickup now. Such a waste of a future star that would be able to take ike's spot when he leaves.

Not even a freakin offer from the steelers? If he does sign for 4 of 5 million im going to be so pissed.

welcome to the board.

I'm wondering why we're going to let him go for so cheap as well. Maybe Lewis is soured on the way we let Wallace leave. Maybe Lewis really wants to play for the Saints. Who knows.

Varg
03-14-2013, 02:29 PM
welcome to the board.

I'm wondering why we're going to let him go for so cheap as well. Maybe Lewis is soured on the way we let Wallace leave. Maybe Lewis really wants to play for the Saints. Who knows.

Thank you. I had to register as soon as I saw the tweet about him almost signed by the saints. I understand its his hometown but man.... He looked really good this past year and with other glaring needs we need to fill... we just opened up another one. I also understand other teams seem to have it worse at the moment, but If were going to build from the draft and ignore much of free agency, you need to keep what you build.

ebsteelers
03-14-2013, 02:29 PM
boys were going 0-16 next year,

allen will slip and fall down the hill at saint vincent at be out all season.

ike will get hurt eating in the cafe.

gilbert will fall hurt his shoulder and roll into not only big bens ankle but take out decastro and pouncey.

0-16... bring on clowney

harrison'samonster
03-14-2013, 02:32 PM
gilbert will fall hurt his shoulder and roll into not only big bens ankle but take out decastro and pouncey.

:rofl:

I'm still a bit more optimistic than 0-16.

Steel_Bus_24
03-14-2013, 02:38 PM
boys were going 0-16 next year,

allen will slip and fall down the hill at saint vincent at be out all season.

ike will get hurt eating in the cafe.

0-16... bring on clowney

:doh:

While it might not be that bad......As far as getting to a SB goes, thats looking more and more like a dream....I'd hate to see what Manning, with his big 3 now with welker, would do to our secondary.........and the same goes for the Pats if they have both Gronk and Hernandez up and running

TheVet
03-14-2013, 03:07 PM
It's not done yet, right? If the offer is in the $5m/yr range, the Steelers might spring for that.

I remain hopeful!

SteelersCanada
03-14-2013, 03:10 PM
Grant Paulsen ‏@granthpaulsen

Source: CB Keenan Lewis has signed with the #Saints. I'm told the contract is for 5-years and $26M. He'll get $11M in guaranteed money.

Fuck. We couldn't give him 5 / year? That's bullshit. He's worth that.

harrison'samonster
03-14-2013, 03:13 PM
Grant Paulsen ‏@granthpaulsen

Source: CB Keenan Lewis has signed with the #Saints. I'm told the contract is for 5-years and $26M. He'll get $11M in guaranteed money.

Fuck. We couldn't give him 5 / year? That's bullshit. He's worth that.

that's a big surprise. Oh well. Nice to have had Lewis played one good year for us. I wish him the best.

jbourque
03-14-2013, 03:16 PM
Saints fan here, very excited about Kennan! Thank you Steel City!

pete74
03-14-2013, 03:16 PM
Man are we screwing up. I can see passing on him for 8 million but this is insane. We'ressupposed to keep our good players. I like to be confident but this is getting insane

SteelersCanada
03-14-2013, 03:17 PM
Man are we screwing up. I can see passing on him for 8 million but this is insane. We'ressupposed to keep our good players. I like to be confident but this is getting insane

It's a good thing we have Cortez. He can actually pick balls off.

harrison'samonster
03-14-2013, 03:19 PM
Saints fan here, very excited about Kennan! Thank you Steel City!

don't thanks us lol. I hope Keenan does as well for you as he did his last year hear. I'm sorry to see him go. All around a great value for 5 million a year. Seems like a really good deal at this point.

Pentheon
03-14-2013, 03:20 PM
SMH

offseason not looking so great so far after hearing about losing lewis...

it will only get worse if we actually sign beanie wells

oh boy

cowherpower
03-14-2013, 03:20 PM
5 million per. About what I have been saying he's worth. All this talk of 7 million per was insane. He is a number 2 corner at his best. On most days a poor number 2. He will NOT be missed.

cowherpower
03-14-2013, 03:24 PM
The "LeBeau Way". Defense so complicated that no rookie starts. And by time they play extensively or starts, they are in their last year of the contracts. That makes perfect sense!
Yet the Pat* can start 3 rookies in their D and do just fine.

with Steelers success, it isn't like they are picking high in each round. Troy started, Ike was a project, LB, DE usually had someone better who was coming towards end of contract or retirement. It's not like they've been drafting top ten and sitting those players. I also think it's as much Tomlin as it is Lebeau. Tomlin loves his veterans.

Fire Haley
03-14-2013, 03:27 PM
they can not afford Lewis. they were is big salary cap hell!

No cap space and it's his hometown team. Nothing to see here. They will ask him how badly he wants to be a Saint. He will say "show me the money" and the GM will "show him the door"...

The Saints have no chance but lowballing him. Their cap situation is even worse than the Steelers.

It would be shocking, the Ain'ts ain't got enough money to sign Lewis.

Saints signed CB Keenan Lewis to a five-year, $26 million contract with $11 million guaranteed.

Killer,

I'm with you on this. I think he's gets a creditable offer we will not match, or will not be willing to match.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1robv3mk51rsnz2uo1_250.gif

bubbletownwr88
03-14-2013, 03:30 PM
Don't worry boys once his contract is up for the Saints we will see him back in the burgh.... :banging:

superdome
03-14-2013, 03:35 PM
Lewis signs with Saints.

Fire Haley
03-14-2013, 03:36 PM
CB's are going fast - Lewis could be next - looks like $5M per yr is the going rate

Chargers signed CB Derek Cox, formerly of the Jaguars, to a four-year, $20 million contract.

Broncos agreed to terms with CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie on a one-year, $5 million contract.

Like I told you...

superdome
03-14-2013, 03:40 PM
5years 26million

SteelersCanada
03-14-2013, 03:43 PM
Don't crucify me - what do you guys think about Asomugha for a 3 year / 14.5 - 15?

TheVet
03-14-2013, 03:43 PM
that's a big surprise. Oh well. Nice to have had Lewis played one good year for us. I wish him the best.

Ugh. We could have swung $5 m, but I wonder whether the Steelers wanted to see just a bit more than one year before committing. It makes some sense.

It's a good thing we have Cortez. He can actually pick balls off.

You know, I was thinking the same thing. I sure didn't want to lose Lewis, but sooner or later we do need to find a few CBs who can make INTs on occasion. Maybe this is a blessing in very deep disguise.

Putting it all together, I guess the Steelers have confidence in the draft - and they are OK in terms of starters, for now, with Ike/Allen/Gay.

harrison'samonster
03-14-2013, 03:46 PM
Lewis signs with Saints.

I hope he does well for you guys!

fer522
03-14-2013, 03:47 PM
Thats a lot of coin for 1 good year IMO

harrison'samonster
03-14-2013, 03:47 PM
Ugh. We could have swung $5 m, but I wonder whether the Steelers wanted to see just a bit more than one year before committing. It makes some sense.

You know, I was thinking the same thing. I sure didn't want to lose Lewis, but sooner or later we do need to find a few CBs who can make INTs on occasion. Maybe this is a blessing in very deep disguise.

yep, time for the Steelers to move on. Like you say, maybe this is a blessing. Time will tell.

jfeust
03-14-2013, 03:53 PM
We should have locked him up for that price.

Men of Steel
03-14-2013, 03:53 PM
good. not like we needed him anyway. we got gay back. :doh:

fer522
03-14-2013, 03:55 PM
Don't crucify me - what do you guys think about Asomugha for a 3 year / 14.5 - 15?

I'm all for that cus as long as DL is still our DC any rookie we get will have to wait 2/3 years to fully "learn" the schemes. :banging:

TheVet
03-14-2013, 03:56 PM

Right now I think we need high potential, cheap young guys at CB - via the draft. Remember that despite losing Lewis, CB is far from our thinnest position - sad but true. We do need to add some depth, but we have starters - can't say that for other areas.

superdome
03-14-2013, 03:59 PM
good. not like we needed him anyway. we got gay back. :doh:

Ignoring the obvious reply to that...

New Orleans Saints
The Saints have agreed to terms on a 5-year deal with DB Keenan Lewis! Lewis is a New Orleans native, started all 16 games for the Steelers last season & posted an NFL-leading 28 passes defensed! More info: http://bit.ly/Z7rJgY

SteelersCanada
03-14-2013, 04:06 PM
Allen started two games at CB and had 2 picks. Lewis started 16 games and had 0.

Yeah, I'm trying to rationalize this. Wanna fight about it?

jacobo
03-14-2013, 04:07 PM
At least we get to see more Allen

Steelers>NFL
03-14-2013, 04:09 PM
Allen started two games at CB and had 2 picks. Lewis started 16 games and had 0.

Yeah, I'm trying to rationalize this. Wanna fight about it?

lol.... no. I'm going home.

But, even Gay can catch the ball!

The_Joker
03-14-2013, 04:10 PM
Oh nooooo...

Sucks, but not the end.

SteelersCanada
03-14-2013, 04:14 PM
lol.... no. I'm going home.

But, even Gay can catch the ball!

I think Lewis went to the Ike Taylor School of Catching. That, or he just worked out with Wallace too much.

bornaSteelersfan
03-14-2013, 04:18 PM
I am not surprised by this. Antonio Brown said something about a divided locker room over the season and some guys were more interested in individual stats. Well, Wallace and Lewis were best friends in High School. We all know how Wallace held out, but maybe some don't remember how Lewis said he was going to The Pro Bowl before the season began. Maybe those were the two that AB was talking about (merely speculation).

Cortez Allen is the real deal and the coaches knew the potential when he was drafted. I think he steps up majorly this year and we will not miss Keenan.

FrancoLambert
03-14-2013, 04:20 PM
Just when you thought the CB position was developing some solid depth and wasn't a pressing need, it almost becomes one now.

Lewis was a player we drafted, developed and he definitely showed talent and projecting a bigger upside was reasonable.

Now he's gone and the depth chart is weaker.
WTF is going on?????

Buddha Bus
03-14-2013, 04:24 PM
I love Ike Taylor, but I would almost rather have cut ties with him and kept Lewis. We could have had 2 potentially good-to-great young corners for a few years. We could have gotten younger, faster, and more athletic in the secondary.

I'm excited to see what Allen can do this year though. He showed some promise last year.

AgentGold007
03-14-2013, 04:25 PM
I didn't like the idea of breaking the bank for Lewis after one good season in his contract year. That seems to blow up in team's face more times than it succeeds. Had he put in a few good seasons back-to-back, I'd consider this a huge loss, but i'm not ready to throw in the Terrible Towel on this. I think Cortez Allen can be just as good if not better if given a full season to play.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-14-2013, 04:31 PM
Ike Taylor was signed to a 4 year $28million deal 2 seasons ago and is getting $6million this year and $7million next year...........but we couldnt come up with 5 year $26million for Keenan Lewis in todays market??

Gay.

fer522
03-14-2013, 04:35 PM
Ike Taylor was signed to a 4 year $28million deal 2 seasons ago and is getting $6million this year and $7million next year...........but we couldnt come up with 5 year $26million for Keenan Lewis in todays market??

Gay

We got him back:chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-14-2013, 04:38 PM
We got him back:chuckle:

Didnt I just say that in the previous post? :noidea:

Steel_Bus_24
03-14-2013, 04:39 PM
All you people who think we still have depth now at the CB position need to wake up.....no we don't

Allen and Ike make an ok Tandem in our system......but 2 isn't enough anymore to stop or even slow down prolific spread offenses...

And Gay isn't athletic enough to hang with the better 3s and even some 4s......Sure he's serviceable enough against the scrub WR corps and low tier qbs......but the true contenders are going to take advantage of him

Gay is not the answer for #3...we better draft somebody or Lake better turn Van Dyke into a stud....because Gay is tapped out of potential....and its only good enough to be a #4

jacobo
03-14-2013, 04:42 PM
Lewis wanted to play in New Orleans. We couldn't do anything about it

Fire Haley
03-14-2013, 04:49 PM
Cards got Gay thinking he was a man coverage one-on-one corner - he ain't - Steelers play 90% zone

if Saints think they got a man coverage shutdown corner - he ain't - for the same reason

just a little buyer beware

pczach
03-14-2013, 04:51 PM
I really thought that we would have signed him for that price. All of us here were worried he was demanding $8 million a year. They must have a lot of faith in somebody behind him, or they have another plan, because that is not a huge amount of money for a corner coming into his prime that just had a great year.

I agree that Allen shows real promise, but if they signed Lewis they would have depth and youth in the secondary for at least the next 3-4 years. I guess they feel they need the money for the many other needs they have. Could this mean they are working on a surprise trade? Hmmmmmmm.....

Fire Haley
03-14-2013, 04:54 PM
Cards got Gay thinking he was a man coverage one-on-one corner - he ain't - Steelers play 90% zone

if Saints think they got a man coverage shutdown corner - he ain't - for the same reason

EbonySteel86
This release hurt me more than Harrison. Lewis impressed me big time last year. Don't remember last time I was that excited about a cb playing here since Woodson.

TRH
We should have locked him up for that price.

# 1, it's his hometown. VERY little you can do about that one - he gets paid AND he gets to go home. No much we can do to combat that - its a win-win for Lewis.

# 2, he's not worth that kind of money. I have no problem whatsoever seeing him go - lots of things we can do with freed up money, tons of things.

Steel_Bus_24
03-14-2013, 04:55 PM
I really thought that we would have signed him for that price. All of us here were worried he was demanding $8 million a year. They must have a lot of faith in somebody behind him, or they have another plan, because that is not a huge amount of money for a corner coming into his prime that just had a great year.

I agree that Allen shows real promise, but if they signed Lewis they would have depth and youth in the secondary for at least the next 3-4 years. I guess they feel they need the money for the many other needs they have. Could this mean they are working on a surprise trade? Hmmmmmmm.....

We're not paying revis the absurd amount of money he would demand....especially coming off an acl injury

pczach
03-14-2013, 04:58 PM
We're not paying revis the absurd amount of money he would demand....especially coming off an acl injury

Who said anything about Revis? He wants $15 million per! That's not going to happen. I was thinking about a trade at any position, not just corner.

ZoneBlitzer
03-14-2013, 05:23 PM
Oh crap.

steeltheone
03-14-2013, 05:31 PM
:rofl:

I'm still a bit more optimistic than 0-16.

I agree, BR7 is worth 6 wins on his own.

fer522
03-14-2013, 05:34 PM
Didnt I just say that in the previous post? :noidea:

DUDE!!!! I was being whats the word im looking for oh yeah, SARCASTIC!!!!!!!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-14-2013, 05:49 PM

First of all. Do the Saints play a lot of man coverage?? I dont think so.

Secondly, Keenan Lewis played exclusively man coverage his entire career a Oregon State. They did get a guy that was more comfortable in man than off-man zone coverage.

DUDE!!!! I was being whats the word im looking for oh yeah, SARCASTIC!!!!!!!!

So was I. :chuckle:

austinfrench76
03-14-2013, 07:27 PM
Bouchette tweeted that the Steelers could have matched it but didn't want to? That seems odd to let a good, young corner who knows our Defense walk. I know that Allen is going to be good but 5MM a year for Lewis doesn't seem too bad and now we have to let Brown and Gay on the field more frequesntly which to me=BAD.

PhantomJB93
03-14-2013, 07:52 PM
Bouchette tweeted that the Steelers could have matched it but didn't want to? That seems odd to let a good, young corner who knows our Defense walk. I know that Allen is going to be good but 5MM a year for Lewis doesn't seem too bad and now we have to let Brown and Gay on the field more frequesntly which to me=BAD.

Relax, we're obviously signing Nnamdi :noidea:

LVSteelersfan
03-14-2013, 08:07 PM
If the Steelers were interested in keeping Lewis they never would have let him get to UFA. They would have given him a new contract last year. I figured he was probably gone even though I was really hoping it didn't happen. Where the heck did the Saints get the money to sign him?

steeltheone
03-14-2013, 08:26 PM
If the Steelers were interested in keeping Lewis they never would have let him get to UFA. They would have given him a new contract last year. I figured he was probably gone even though I was really hoping it didn't happen. Where the heck did the Saints get the money to sign him?

The Steeler's must think Allen is ready and Lewis was not as good as the hype.

I figured the FO would ink him at that money too!

kan_t
03-14-2013, 08:52 PM
# 2, he's not worth that kind of money. I have no problem whatsoever seeing him go - lots of things we can do with freed up money, tons of things.
1) His first year cap hit is about $2.2M.

2) 5 years $26.3M is market value for average CBs. You can argue that he actually takes less.

kan_t
03-14-2013, 08:54 PM
Saints signed CB Keenan Lewis to a five-year, $26 million contract with $11 million guaranteed.

His first year cap hit is only $2.2M. The Steelers definitely can match the Saints offer.

TheVet
03-14-2013, 09:11 PM
:tt02:It was a tough situation. It's hard to gamble given with only one productive year out of four. Gotta trust the coaching staff here. But the Steelers really need to get their promising draft choices contributing earlier, so that we're not left in these impossible casino choices.

At the end of the day, we've only seen enough of Keenan Lewis to be hopeful, but not confident. Let's check out Cortez, pick up a rookie for depth, and enjoy the fact that Gay is a solid #3.

And somewhere down the line, there's a CB who can produce INTs!!!

Justp94
03-14-2013, 09:13 PM
I'm okay with Keenan Lewis not on our team anymore. If we draft a Cornerback in the middle-later rounds that would suffice as well. We have Ike Taylor, Cortez Allen, & now William Gay as our top 3 CBs... Allen is going to have to step up like Lewis did last year, and I see him having similar, if not better results because of his ability to create turnovers.

Justp94
03-14-2013, 09:16 PM
His first year cap hit is only $2.2M. The Steelers definitely can match the Saints offer.

Yes, the Steelers could've countered that offer, but now we know that we need to draft a CB in the mid-later rounds for depth and give Cortez Allen the same opportunity that we gave Lewis last year to step up and be the starting CB opposite Ike Taylor. However, we're going to have to plan for a possible replacement for Ike Taylor in a couple years as he is getting older.

TRH
03-14-2013, 10:13 PM
1) His first year cap hit is about $2.2M.

2) 5 years $26.3M is market value for average CBs. You can argue that he actually takes less.

the part your forgetting is - Lewis doesn't want to play here. He got the rare chance to go home AND get paid. He would much rather play for the Saints and i don't blame the guy.
I didn't want to lose Lewis, but in the long run it will be a win for both sides.

kan_t
03-14-2013, 10:17 PM
the part your forgetting is - Lewis doesn't want to play here. He got the rare chance to go home AND get paid. He would much rather play for the Saints and i don't blame the guy.
I didn't want to lose Lewis, but in the long run it will be a win for both sides.
My point is that he's worth that kind of money.

Fire Haley
03-14-2013, 10:58 PM
First of all. Do the Saints play a lot of man coverage?? I dont think so.

Secondly, Keenan Lewis played exclusively man coverage his entire career a Oregon State. They did get a guy that was more comfortable in man than off-man zone coverage.

uh - yes they do actually

irrelevant - Oregon State

CanuckCurtain
03-15-2013, 12:02 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/03/keenan-lewis-says-steelers-didnt-offer-him-a-deal/

interesting

pete74
03-15-2013, 04:20 AM
I wonder if Allen has a good year like Lewis did will he be let go as well? We will be just as strapped for cash the next two years with all the restructuring

Galax Steeler
03-15-2013, 04:29 AM
I wonder if Allen has a good year like Lewis did will he be let go as well? We will be just as strapped for cash the next two years with all the restructuring

I am sure some big name players will be cut as well. we are going to see alot of changes in the next couple of years.

steeltheone
03-15-2013, 05:14 AM
I am sure some big name players will be cut as well. we are going to see alot of changes in the next couple of years.

Having Allen in the wings and signing Gay made letting Lewis go easier.

Next year Ike will be close finished and their may be no competent backup, so signing Allen may be more of a priority. ( if he proves he can be a starter this year )

bornaSteelersfan
03-15-2013, 05:44 AM
Keenan was all about himself. Don't you guys remember when he said he was going to the Pro Bowl before the season began? He defended quite a few passes and looked good, but not even one TO. That speaks volumes when Cortez Allen had 2 INT's AND a FF with very limited play time.

Steel_Bus_24
03-15-2013, 06:17 AM
I thought Allen was better too.....When he came in an went toe to toe with NEs TEs in 2011.....I knew he had the potential

Im not upset about Allen having to take over Lewis's #2 role.....Im upset and worried about Gay coming in and taking over the slot

We have to develop a better CB then Gay for the #3 if we want to be able to consistently take on good spread offenses

tanda10506
03-15-2013, 07:54 AM
Allen played great at Nickle CB but he didn't look that great when he played #2 CB. IMO he has a long way to go to be as good as Lewis, and Lewis was nothing spectacular. I suppose there's not much the FO can do when they are this broke though,. Hopefully Allen steps up big, #2 CB, in today's passing league, is just as important as any other position.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
03-15-2013, 07:57 AM
Allen played great at Nickle CB but he didn't look that great when he played #2 CB. IMO he has a long way to go to be as good as Lewis, and Lewis was nothing spectacular. I suppose there's not much the FO can do when they are this broke though,. Hopefully Allen steps up big, #2 CB, in today's passing league, is just as important as any other position.

did you watch the two games he started? he's name kept coming up and 5 turnovers in 2 starts seems pretty good to me, and he did pretty good against Green(top 5 WR imo) also.

He has the chance to be one of the top corners in the NFL and it's his time to start.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-15-2013, 08:38 AM
uh - yes they do actually

irrelevant - Oregon State

Rob Ryan likes to run a 3-4 and implement zone blitzing with off man coverage. Its a perfect fit for Lewis coming from Pittsburgh.

You state that Lewis is not a man coverage corner, yet he started 3 years in college at Oregon St, where they played strictly man to man. Call it irrelevant to defend your position if you want, but the kid knows how to play man coverage.

Short of it is, Saints got a good CB and we got William Gay.

Fire Haley
03-15-2013, 08:49 AM
Short of it is, Saints got a good CB and we got William Gay.

you know I was just saying that shit to scare all the Saints fans lurking around here, watching what we say - yeah, i'm sneaky like that

"SAINTS SIGN LEWIS - Steelers Fever Forums"

http://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/steelers-forum-reaction-lewis-signing-289988/

steelfury02
03-15-2013, 08:49 AM
Cortez could be a factor in improving INTs - he earned a chance to be the future guy - he still hasn't reached his potential and that's awesome for Steelers Nation IMO

Lewis to me was the next Ike Taylor in terms of voiding the #1 WR every Sunday - you have to give him respect - he was a top pass defender. You wouldn't want a 04/05' version of Ike Taylor to beef up your secondary? I would all day long.

We got Gay, but this is not the same Gay as 10' - I do think he is better and obviously the Steelers felt/knew Lewis was gone and that left our CBs thin. I'm excited to see if they get someone in the mid to later rounds for further depth.

IMO - Gay with more Lake coaching equals an improved Gay.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
03-15-2013, 10:35 AM
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The Steelers never made Keenan Lewis an offer, not last year when he was a restricted free agent, not this year before he became a free agent and not any time Tuesday after free agency started.

Even though general manager Kevin Colbert stated they were interested in keeping all of their free agents, they never made a move on Lewis, one of their best. What they did do was make a pre-emptive strike before free agency by signing William Gay and virtually turning Lewis' starting job over to Cortez Allen.

But the contract that Lewis signed with his hometown New Orleans Saints Thursday turned out to be one the Steelers could have afforded if they wanted to. He signed for five years for $26 million with $11 million guaranteed, according to various reports. With a $6 million signing bonus and a $1 million salary for 2013, it pegs his first-year salary cap hit at only $2.2 million.

Nevertheless, the Steelers chose Allen and Gay, who received a three-year, $4.5 million deal, instead.

They also lost a less important member of their secondary Thursday, Ryan Mundy, who signed with the New York Giants. Mundy, who played at Woodland Hills High School, has been mostly a backup in his four seasons with the Steelers and dropped from No. 3 safety to No. 4 last season.

The Steelers hope to find younger safeties in the draft.
Lewis, a third-round draft pick in 2009 from Oregon State, joined his former high school teammate, Mike Wallace, as a departing free agent. Wallace signed with the Miami Dolphins Tuesday and Rashard Mendenhall signed with the Arizona Cardinals Wednesday -- three starters gone in three days. Two other starters were released, James Harrison and Willie Colon.
Lewis was a slow developer after the Steelers drafted him. He moved into the pass defense as a third cornerback in 2011 and then took over as the starting left cornerback last season. He started all 16 games and led the NFL in pass deflections, 28 by his coaches' count, or 22 more than he had in his first three seasons.
The loss of Mendenhall and Mundy leaves the Steelers with no players left from their 2008 draft class.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-lewis-goes-home-signs-with-saints-679428/#ixzz2Nch33jGy

Hawaii 5-0
03-15-2013, 02:04 PM
James C Wexell ‏@jimwexell:

The Steelers let other teams set the market for Ryan Clark a few years back. But he patiently leveraged Miami's offer. This time plan failed

https://twitter.com/jimwexell

TRH
03-15-2013, 02:50 PM
the problem with the article is that it didn't matter if the Steelers matched it.

Lewis was dying to go back home and got that opportunity (and got PAID). Some things you just can't put a price on it. "Matching it" wasn't going to cut it in this instance.

BKAnthem
03-15-2013, 10:35 PM
I think Colbert is also using FA to get rid of some of the cancers in the lockeroom

austinfrench76
03-15-2013, 11:11 PM
Didn't realize that he wanted to stay (according to Wexell). Damn. And to not even make him an offer seems nuts? Who knows...

OX1947
03-15-2013, 11:44 PM
I think Colbert is also using FA to get rid of some of the cancers in the lockeroom

I was thinking that too. Only thing that would make sense from this atrocious off season.