PDA

View Full Version : Burress: "I love it in Pittsburgh"

Buddha Bus
03-14-2013, 04:49 PM
Burress: "I love it in Pittsburgh"
Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Before Plaxico Burress packed up and headed home at the end of last season, he sat down with Steelers’ Coach Mike Tomlin and General Manager Kevin Colbert and made it clear that he wanted to be back for the 2013 season. Burress, who was set to become a free agent, had no desire to go elsewhere.

“I told them Pittsburgh was the only place I wanted to be,” said Burress. “When I came in last year I thought I was in good shape for the time frame I was there. All I wanted this year was an opportunity to get into minicamp and training camp and start to get myself back into real football shape along with everyone else.”

On Tuesday, the Steelers re-signed Burress just before the start of free agency, keeping the 6-5 receiver as a big target for quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

“I get to come back and play with Ben and everyone there,” said Burress. “I am definitely excited. It’s beautiful. I was telling my wife it’s great that I know where I am going to be now. It’s a big stress reliever. We know where we are going to be. She is happy, her family is excited. She gets to go back to Pittsburgh, which is where she is from. We can start making plans for what we want to do.

(Read More:) http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Burress-I-love-it-in-Pittsburgh/03445ffe-503d-4902-9040-42973394d8b4

__________________________________________________ _______________

A pretty nice read about Burress and his desire to be here. I was tough on the guy because he left and was kind of a knucklehead, but he seems to have really matured and grown since he was last here. I'm actually excited to see what he has left for us. I think he'll be a great redzone threat for Ben.

vasteeler
03-14-2013, 04:52 PM
i was pretty stoked about getting him back last year and i am really glad to have signed him up again for this year. he maybe older and a bit slower but i still think he will do damage in the red zone.

GMU Steeler
03-14-2013, 04:53 PM
It will help to have him with full knowledge of Haley's offense going in. Having a tall target is a plus. And I agree, he does seem to have matured some.

Buddha Bus
03-14-2013, 04:53 PM
i was pretty stoked about getting him back last year and i am really glad to have signed him up again for this year. he maybe older and a bit slower but i still think he will do damage in the red zone.

I ripped him pretty bad. I didn't think the guy would ever grow up, but it seems he may prove me wrong. I'd love to be wrong too.

pczach
03-14-2013, 04:55 PM
If he uses that big body and hands to make tough catches in traffic, he'll be worth his weight in gold.

TRH
he seems to genuinely like it here - and appreciate it. He's in extremely good shape for his age, too. Haley better and should incorporate him more this year - possibly even as a starter.

Fire Haley
I luv me some Plex, always have - no matter what the yinzers say

Sharkissle29
03-14-2013, 05:11 PM
he seems to genuinely like it here - and appreciate it. He's in extremely good shape for his age, too. Haley better and should incorporate him more this year - possibly even as a starter.

I think he is a bit slow and old to be a starter, but I liked this re-sign.

MACH1
03-14-2013, 05:15 PM
I ripped him pretty bad. I didn't think the guy would ever grow up, but it seems he may prove me wrong. I'd love to be wrong too.

Prison does that for some people.

Buddha Bus
03-14-2013, 05:16 PM
I think he is a bit slow and old to be a starter, but I liked this re-sign.

I don't think he should be a starter either. He should just be a situational type WR especially in the redzone. I'd rather see Brown and Sanders(on a short leash) start the beginning of the season with Cotchery as the 3rd WR. I think Burress can contribute a lot and Ben will need a large target like him early with the absence of Heath so he should get his opportunities.

steeltheone
03-14-2013, 05:26 PM

Come on..?? Nobody else wants him, thats why his love is so deep. He sat all last season without any takers.

He was talking this kind of BS back in 2011 and then the Jets threw a bigger check in front of him and he jumped on it as quick as he could.

Good luck Plax , i hope you do well this year, but save the bullshit " I love Pittsburgh talk" if you had a bigger offer you would be gone.

pete74
03-14-2013, 05:46 PM
I like him but unfortunately we don't seem to want to use him. He's a year older now so Idoubt were going to start him all the ssudden

TRH
03-14-2013, 05:49 PM
Come on..?? Nobody else wants him, thats why his love is so deep. He sat all last season without any takers.

He was talking this kind of BS back in 2011 and then the Jets threw a bigger check in front of him and he jumped on it as quick as he could.

Good luck Plax , i hope you do well this year, but save the bullshit " I love Pittsburgh talk" if you had a bigger offer you would be gone.

In this case, not really. I think after the "prison" thing and difficulty in finding a job, he appreciates this organization - it certainly came off pretty genuine - plus his wife is from here so as a family, they seem to like the area as well.
I moved away and live in the Chicago area and hate it w/a passion - i now realize how good i had it in the 'burgh and would give my left nut to get back. I see where he's coming from.

steelfury02
03-14-2013, 05:50 PM
I absolutely want to see him get red zone opportunities - in extremely limited action he actually fought for the ball and hustled his ass off in general - now I will have a problem if he isn't given a fair shake, especially with all the TDs we'll be losing with Miller out for a little while

steeltheone
03-14-2013, 06:06 PM
In this case, not really. I think after the "prison" thing and difficulty in finding a job, he appreciates this organization - it certainly came off pretty genuine - plus his wife is from here so as a family, they seem to like the area as well.
I moved away and live in the Chicago area and hate it w/a passion - i now realize how good i had it in the 'burgh and would give my left nut to get back. I see where he's coming from.

When Plax got out of prison in 2011 the Steeler's tried to sign him. He used the Steelers interest in him to get a better deal elsewhere ( The Jet's ) Where was the love then?

Quackjack
03-14-2013, 06:22 PM
Hope he does well!

Steeldude
03-14-2013, 06:49 PM
He says that now because he is old and no one wants him. Are people still so gullible when it comes to this moron?

Quackjack
03-14-2013, 07:04 PM
He says that now because he is old and no one wants him. Are people still so gullible when it comes to this moron?

So you're calling the Steelers FO stupid and gullible.

Burn him!

austinfrench76
03-14-2013, 07:21 PM
Stoked about this signing too. I actually believe that we are in a good position. Baltimore is going to suck next year and the Bungals and the Clowns are, well, the Bungals and the Clowns. The only real loss IMO is Harrison. We aren't truly ready to replace him yet. Here's to hoping Worilds is up to the challenge.

TheVet
03-14-2013, 09:00 PM
I'm happy! Plex is exactly the kind of combination that we need as we mini-rebuild - experience, low price tag, definite value, good attitude, maturity. Even those those who disagree are doing so for noncompetitive silly reasons - steeltheone, for example, wishes that there was more authentic love shown, lol, but in another thread he loves Mendenhall. :rofl::

As the kids say, "whatever." :tt02:

teegre
03-14-2013, 11:36 PM
Prison does that for some people.

Yes... prison does indeed rip some people. :wink02:

desertsteel
03-15-2013, 12:00 AM
When Plax got out of prison in 2011 the Steeler's tried to sign him. He used the Steelers interest in him to get a better deal elsewhere ( The Jet's ) Where was the love then?

EVERY player on that team would leave for more money... don't be naive and think otherwise.

tony hipchest
03-15-2013, 12:09 AM

"dont hate the playa, hate the game..."

:thumbsup:

tanda10506
03-15-2013, 12:16 AM
A BIG WR that knows how to run routes will benefit us much more then any one trick pony with slick hands. Very few probably agree with that, but we'll see this year. I 100% support him being signed.

Lady Steel
03-15-2013, 12:39 AM
The grass isn't always greener on the other side, eh, Plax?

I'm glad Plax is staying and have faith that he will be utilized correctly this coming season. :tt:

steeltheone
03-15-2013, 05:20 AM
EVERY player on that team would leave for more money... don't be naive and think otherwise.

I don't doubt that. That is the point of this post. He said how much he loved Pittsburgh and wanted to go nowhere else.

The point here is, their was no interest anywhere else, nobody wants him. So of course he loves Pittsburgh now.

I could give a shit about his ever changing love as long as he produces. But this is not 2003. I have my doubts.

Millers the sh!t
03-15-2013, 06:09 AM
Knowing that you're broke and at the end of your career really.humbles somebody real quick. Having said that I'm glad he's back for another year. Hopefully he ain't the tallest player on the sidelines all year again. Let's go plax 14 TDs this year. They are your targets now that heath is gone.

wootawnee
03-15-2013, 06:47 AM
Plax does not choke in the big pressure games like Mr. Miami did......

TheVet
03-15-2013, 03:46 PM
Plax does not choke in the big pressure games like Mr. Miami did......

Actually, he did choke in the big games in his first go-round with us. But that clutch TD catch for the Giants in the first SB vs. the Pats certainly changed things. I'd love to see how he handles a big pressure game this year - hell, I'd love to actually have a big pressure game this year!

Quackjack
03-15-2013, 04:20 PM
I have faith in the guy. Go get 'em Plax!

FanSince72
03-15-2013, 07:55 PM

Agree.

I just wish 'Tone was available because I think cutting him loose was one of the bigger mistakes the F.O. has made and I think he hates it in NY.

ETL
03-16-2013, 12:12 AM
Agree.

I just wish 'Tone was available because I think cutting him loose was one of the bigger mistakes the F.O. has made and I think he hates it in NY.

There was no way we would or should pay Santonio what the Jets gave him. If we kept him, he would have done a Mike Wallace and ran for the money. Jets are totally regretting the contract they gave him.

steeltheone
03-16-2013, 01:20 AM
Any receiver will struggle with Mark Sanchez at QB.

steeltheone
03-16-2013, 01:54 AM
Plax and Clark Haggans are the only 2 players still active from the Steelers 2000 roster.

OX1947
03-16-2013, 02:16 AM
Agree.

YES YES YES, 100 yes's wouldnt do your post justice. I truly believe, had we still had him in SB XLV, he would have made a difference. He always made plays at the most crucial time. I could go on in the details but it bothers me to talk about it.

OX1947
03-16-2013, 02:17 AM
There was no way we would or should pay Santonio what the Jets gave him. If we kept him, he would have done a Mike Wallace and ran for the money. Jets are totally regretting the contract they gave him.

True, but I believe he would have been that IT factor in that last drive in SB XLV and the Steelers could have gotten 7. At that point, him leaving would have been fine with me.

Kingmagyar
03-16-2013, 09:55 AM
In the limited (and I mean limited) time he was out there last year he had two TDs. Why he didn't play in those meaningful games down the stretch though is baffling. Probably only one score away from getting a playoff birth and Buress could have provided that play.

FanSince72
03-16-2013, 12:36 PM

I don't know if we would have ended up paying him the money that the Jets have (after all, "then" isn't "now") but as receivers go -- especially clutch receivers, I think Santonio would be worth a lot.

Ben loved him and they had a great chemistry and he was one of those rare players who says he wants the ball at crunch time and really means it. "Time to be great!"

'Tone had the goods and I think he was worth keeping at any price.