PDA

View Full Version : Comp draft picks next year

JackH
03-14-2013, 05:56 PM
Last draft we got 3 extra 7th round picks for losing Spaeth, Eason, and Fox.

This draft we might get an extra 7th for losing Gay, even though we got him back.

In the 2014 draft we'll get some comp picks for Wallace, Lewis, and Mendenhall and whoever else. Could be a 3rd rounder, or two, thinking optimistically.

Sure would be sweet if we could get some more draft picks this time, as there appears to be a lot of value to be had in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounds.

I hope somebody is talking to the 49ers. Maybe they would like to postpone some of those 14 picks they still have to the 2014 draft. In those 14 picks the 49ers have a 1st round, 2 in the 2nd, and 3 in the 3rd. Hell, I'd trade our 2nd and 3rd next year for two 3rd round picks this draft, or whatever.

SteelersCanada
03-14-2013, 06:03 PM
I hope Wallace gets 12 TDs and 1200+ yards, we could use the third round pick. While we're at it, I hope Mendenhall gets 1200+ yards and 12TDs, too. The likelihood of either of these things happening is probably close to 0.

JackH
03-14-2013, 06:15 PM
I hope Wallace gets 12 TDs and 1200+ yards, we could use the third round pick. While we're at it, I hope Mendenhall gets 1200+ yards and 12TDs, too. The likelihood of either of these things happening is probably close to 0.

Think 2010. Wallace had 1257 yards and 10 TDs. Mendenhall had 1273 yards and 13 TDs. I hope Tannehill puts it in the air 50 times a game.

tburhans
03-14-2013, 06:24 PM
Now lets hope lewis gets 10 interceptions and 100 tackles

sloppyjoe
03-14-2013, 06:53 PM
wishful thinking. seems as tho the steelers usually get jobbed when it comes to dishing out comp picks

tburhans
03-14-2013, 07:35 PM
I know comp picks aren't solely based on stats. There is a formula that includes the contract plus playing time and stats. So I'm assuming wallace and lewis will both be full time starters and mediocre seasons from both should get us third round comps nd if rashard has any sort of year we should get like a fifth rounder

Justp94
03-14-2013, 09:29 PM

Are you being serious right now or are you blind to both of those players' talents?

The only flaw with Mendenhall was his character and the fact he never fully got back to his 1,000+ yard seasons because of injury. Now that he's healthy and has a chance to be the #1 back again, he should thrive in Arizona.

As for Wallace, he has a 2nd year QB to deal with, but he should still have a good year, most likely better than he had last year.

I hate people like you that hate on players that have helped our team win in the past, it's pathetic.

SteelersCanada
03-14-2013, 09:38 PM
Are you being serious right now or are you blind to both of those players' talents?

The only flaw with Mendenhall was his character and the fact he never fully got back to his 1,000+ yard seasons because of injury. Now that he's healthy and has a chance to be the #1 back again, he should thrive in Arizona.

As for Wallace, he has a 2nd year QB to deal with, but he should still have a good year, most likely better than he had last year.

I hate people like you that hate on players that have helped our team win in the past, it's pathetic.

Mendenhall is running behind the worst offensive line in the NFL and Wallace is playing with a guy that has no legitimate deep ball. I like that you say he's going to thrive in Arizona with an offensive line ranked worst in run blocking last year. Oh, and he doesn't have a legitimate Quarterback throwing the ball and is going to be relied on game in and game out to run effectively with, again, the worst run blocking offensive line in the NFL.

Wallace is going to thrive in Miami? Really? Ryan Tannehill might have had a good rookie season, but his skillset doesn't fit Wallace's skillset. Tannehill doesn't have a legitimate deep ball that he can hit Wallace for game in and game out which we all know is Mike's one and only talent. Oh, and Mike has Brian Hartline playing opposite him which means he's the number one target in an offense where the Quarterback isn't Ben Roethlisberger. To add insult to injury, he might be playing Darrelle Revis twice a year next year. Anyone want to put an over/under on 50 yards combined in those two games?

Hate me all you want, I'm being realistic. Maybe, just maybe, you go and look at the numbers (here's a link, cause I'm a nice guy http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/OL) and tell me that Mendenhall and Wallace are going to have great years. Am I blind to Mendenhall and Wallace's talents? Nope, but I'm also not blind to the fact that they had Roethlisberger under center which made them both more effective than they would have been and are going to be with their respective teams.

Maybe if you huff and puff enough, you'll blow the house down.

Justp94
03-14-2013, 09:52 PM
I know comp picks aren't solely based on stats. There is a formula that includes the contract plus playing time and stats. So I'm assuming wallace and lewis will both be full time starters and mediocre seasons from both should get us third round comps nd if rashard has any sort of year we should get like a fifth rounder

Mendenhall is a former 1st round pick, who had 3 good seasons with the Steelers, until he got injured at the end of the 3rd season. You seriously think we'll only get a 5th round comp pick for him? If Lewis, Mendenhall, and Wallace all perform at the level we've seen them perform in the past then I'd expect no lower than 4th round comp picks for all of them in 2014. I'm going to look in to how the league determines what the compensation picks will be though and get back to this discussion.

tburhans
03-14-2013, 10:36 PM
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_Draft#section_4 scroll down to to the comp picks section and it explains how it's determined. Mostly based on $

teegre
03-15-2013, 12:14 AM
If the Steelers did indeed get two R3 compensatory picks, then I'd trade the R2, R3, & R4 picks to move up for Jadeveon Clowney.

Normally, a team gets seven picks. Even after trading away three picks, the Steelers would still have six picks... with one of them being Clowney.

1. Clowney
R3 comp pick
R3 comp pick
R5
R6
R7

Justp94
03-15-2013, 12:45 AM
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_Draft#section_4 scroll down to to the comp picks section and it explains how it's determined. Mostly based on $

Yeah, I just read deeper into how the NFL determines the compensatory picks and this is what I've found.

As the NFL explains, compensatory picks are awarded to teams that lose more or better compensatory free agents than they acquire. The number of picks a team can receive equals the net loss of compensatory free agents, up to a maximum of four. Compensatory free agents are determined by a secret formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. Not every free agent lost or signed is covered by the formula.

The value of a compensatory pick is based on annual salary the player makes on their new team (doesn't include workout bonuses, incentives and conditional bonuses), the amount of playing time (percentage of offensive or defensive snaps played), and postseason honors.

Important note: The players we sign to replace the players we lost in free agency have an impact on compensatory picks as well. Explained below.
A simple method of determining for which qualifying free agents a team will be compensated is this – for every player acquired, cancel out a lost player of similar value. For example, consider a team that loses one qualifying player whose value would bring a third-round comp pick and another qualifying player whose value would bring a sixth-round comp pick but signs a qualifying player whose value would be in the range of a third-round pick. That team would receive a sixth-round comp pick because the signed player would cancel out the loss of the higher-valued player. If the signed player’s value was equal to a fourth-round pick or lower, however, the team would receive a third-round comp pick, because the signed player would cancel out the loss of the lower-valued player.

The Pittsburgh Steelers have lost a lot of free agents this off season and depending on where they end up and how much they're signed for has been an important factor in my predictions. Since there are 32 compensatory draft picks in total and the most any team can receive is four each year, I've thought of a few players who will/most likely qualify for the Steelers' compensatory picks.

Definite qualifiers for compensatory picks for 2014 NFL Draft:
WR Mike Wallace, MIA, 5 years $60 million (3rd Round)
Reasoning: Wallace is going to make the most out of all our free agent losses, and he's going to have plenty of offensive snaps with the Dolphins.

CB Keenan Lewis, NO, 5 years $26 million (6th Round, Potentially up to 4th round)
Reasoning: Lewis will be making enough salary annually to automatically qualify for minimum 6th round compensatory pick. He'll be a starting CB for the Saints and should see plenty of defensive snaps, so he could possibly be a 5th or 4th round pick.

RB Rashard Mendenhall, ARI, 1 year $2.5 million (7th Round, Potentially up to 5th round)
Reasoning: Mendenhall is expected to be in a time share with RB Ryan Williams, but is the better back of the two and may win the Starting job. The best scenario is that he becomes the starter, so we could possibly get a 6th or maybe a 5th round compensatory pick for him.

Possible Qualifiers:
DT Casey Hampton, Unsigned (Possibly up to 6th round, depending on his role with new team)
Reasoning: Even though he's old, Hampton is still an impact player that could be paid reasonably well and should still see plenty of action, depending on the team he signs to. Best Scenario: Signs a deal where he makes north of $3 million annually and is a starter (7th Round, Possibly up to 6th round).

OT Max Starks, Unsigned (7th Round or won't qualify, depending on his role with new team)
Reasoning: If Starks is signed he'll most likely be a back up and he won't get paid a lot. Best Scenario: He's signed for a deal where he makes more than $1 million annually and the starter in front of him ends up getting injured, then he'd have the playing time to possibly qualify. (7th Round).

Thoughts about my choices?

Sources: Projecting the 2009 Compensatory NFL Draft Picks (http://adamjt13.blogspot.com/2009/03/projecting-2009-compensatory-nfl-draft.html)

steeltheone
03-15-2013, 05:33 AM
Hampton is no longer an impact player on a consistent basis. He can make a play here and there but he is not a difference maker anymore.

Justp94
03-15-2013, 08:34 AM
Hampton is no longer an impact player on a consistent basis. He can make a play here and there but he is not a difference maker anymore.

He could still be signed for a reasonable deal with a team though and could see a good amount of playing time, which would benefit the Steelers with a 2014 Compensatory Draft Pick possibly.

steelfury02
03-15-2013, 08:57 AM
He could still be signed for a reasonable deal with a team though and could see a good amount of playing time, which would benefit the Steelers with a 2014 Compensatory Draft Pick possibly.

I have a hard time disagreeing with this - Hampton was not the reason there was zilch pass rush - our pass rush doesn't live on freeing up the inside for LBs to wreak havoc on the QB - this isn't 04 and 05' where Porter and Farrior were pulling that X blitz on a weekly basis.

If you put a gun to my head and had to say who to let go - Keisel or Hampton, I'm sorry but Keisel has to go - and this is after I was bashing Casey the Hutt before the start of the season.

Scary enough - if we get more of the same From Woodley and you'd ask me that same queestion - I'd have to pause for a while. D-linemen not named Hutt need to step up and own their side

harrison'samonster
03-15-2013, 08:58 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Hampton ends up retiring, but if he does sign on somewhere else I hope he does well.

67 calsteel
03-15-2013, 09:07 AM
Post season honors are also part of the formula.Remember to vote for them for the Pro bowl.
WE NEED ALL THE HELP WE CAN GET !

austinfrench76
03-16-2013, 10:34 PM
This should be a windfall for us next year! imagine if we get a 3rd this year too for Sanders! We will get young in a hurry with the 2015 cap supposedly getting bigger!