PDA

View Full Version : Emmanuel Sanders to Visit the Patriots

SteelersCanada
03-15-2013, 11:11 AM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Steelers RFA WR Emmanuel Sanders visiting Patriots today. Pats could sign him to offer sheet that cap-strapped Steelers struggle to match.

If he goes to the Pats, WR just became a more pressing need than Safety.

pete74
03-15-2013, 11:13 AM
What round tender does he have? 5th?

WokeUpWithaWoodley
03-15-2013, 11:15 AM

Steelers RFA WR Emmanuel Sanders visiting Patriots today. Pats could sign him to offer sheet that cap-strapped Steelers struggle to match.

If he goes to the Pats, WR just became a more pressing need than Safety.

Yes sir.

I still would like to keep sanders but without him we have brown, plax, and cotch. Wr would be a very big need.

Steel_Bus_24
03-15-2013, 11:15 AM
This *****ng off season should be titled

Pillage of the North

WokeUpWithaWoodley
03-15-2013, 11:16 AM

This is very interesting given Sanders’ restricted status. Pittsburgh placed an low-round tender on him last week, which means New England would only have to give up a third-round pick to sign him away.
The Patriots could always use the “poison pill” approach to sign him away from Pittsburgh given that the Steelers have very little cap space to work with.
It’s hard to if this is anything more than the Pats just doing their due diligence.

http://nfltraderumors.co/report-patriots-to-meet-with-steelers-rfa-wr-emmanuel-sanders/

Not sure if its correct just what I found

Fire Haley
03-15-2013, 11:16 AM
crap

we gave Sanders a $1.3M RFA tender last week - if he signs an offer sheet with the Pats and we didn't match it we'd get a 3rd rd pick...and they could easily throw together a contract with too big a cap hit for us to match

SteelersCanada
03-15-2013, 11:17 AM

Third round draft pick this year.

steelersforever58
03-15-2013, 11:24 AM
I know this is a childish and irrational way to look at it, but just the fact he would consider a team I hate so much, I say fuck him. Let him go.

Steel_Bus_24
03-15-2013, 11:30 AM
The Young Money Crew would be down to 1 survivor

Terminator
03-15-2013, 11:31 AM
But everything is still going to be alright and we are still SuperBowl contenders, right my rose-colored glasses-wearing friends?

teegre
03-15-2013, 11:35 AM
I like Sanders... a lot. I feel that he'll be a really good #2.

BUT... if the Steelers get a R3 pick for him, with the depth in this draft, it might not be such a bad thing.

Sanders is going to require some sort of contract after this season, and it's a Catch-22: if he doesn't perform, the the team probably won't do well; but, if he does indeed perform, he'll ask for a decent ($5 million/year) contract.

I hope he stays; I hope he plays well; and, I hope he's resigned for $4-$5 million... but, if he's gone after this season anyway, I'd prefer to get a R3 pick now.

StainlessStill
This could work out. I liked E and his attitude, but he's often injured and hasn't broken out like I thought he would, especially last season. We could use a 3rd RD draft pick this year to play with. We need to be putting together one helluva board...........

harrison'samonster
The Young Money Crew would be down to 1 survivor

:chuckle: at what point is it no longer a crew?

SteelersCanada
03-15-2013, 11:37 AM
But everything is still going to be alright and we are still SuperBowl contenders, right my rose-colored glasses-wearing friends?

That third round pick we get for compensation could mean grabbing Le'Veon Bell. So, reloading at Running Back with a ZBS offensive line and grabbing an OLB and Safety in the first two rounds would put us right back in contention.

Losing Manny Sanders would suck (I think he has the potential to be great) but it wouldn't make or break our season. If he goes, we'll draft a WR earlier than we all thought we would. It's not a big deal - get off the ledge.

harrison'samonster
03-15-2013, 11:38 AM
This could work out. I liked E and his attitude, but he's often injured and hasn't broken out like I thought he would, especially last season. We could use a 3rd RD draft pick this year to play with. We need to be putting together one helluva board...........

i tend to agree. I like Sanders and think he can be a quality #2 receiver. Plus he can return kicks if needed. However, if we get a 3rd round for him we could likely come away with a better player and cheaper.

harrison'samonster
03-15-2013, 11:39 AM
That third round pick we get for compensation could mean grabbing Le'Veon Bell. So, reloading at Running Back with a ZBS offensive line and grabbing an OLB and Safety in the first two rounds would put us right back in contention.

Losing Manny Sanders would suck (I think he has the potential to be great) but it wouldn't make or break our season. If he goes, we'll draft a WR earlier than we all thought we would. It's not a big deal - get off the ledge.

exactly. every time something goes wrong doesn't mean we are in trouble. Things go wrong all the time. It's part of the game and it's part of life.

austinfrench76
03-15-2013, 11:40 AM
I agree with guy who said F him. Just sayin

Steel_Bus_24
03-15-2013, 11:41 AM
Tomlin was at WVU's ProDay....if there was a way to trade down..pick up an extra pick and get austin and Stedman bailey both then that might not be such a bad deal

teegre
03-15-2013, 11:43 AM
Tomlin was at WVU's ProDay....if there was a way to trade down..pick up an extra pick and get austin and Stedman bailey both then that might not be such a bad deal

Trade down... check out Hawaii 5-0's sig. It's a pretty good trade down.

NOTE: Tomlin was obviously watching Geno Smith... uh... hmmm. :wink02:

SteelersCanada
03-15-2013, 11:46 AM
exactly. every time something goes wrong doesn't mean we are in trouble. Things go wrong all the time. It's part of the game and it's part of life.

What is this logic and reasoning Harrison? This kind of logical thinking is not allowed here. We're in trouble and we're going to win 3 games next year because Sanders leaves. Didn't you get the memo?

In all seriousness, I couldn't agree more. Reloading with another third round pick in a draft as deep as this one with the possibility of trading down and picking up another third round pick (it's a party of third round picks for Pittsburgh) could mean grabbing three more prospects in comparison to just keeping Sanders. I'd be ok with that.

OX1947
03-15-2013, 11:49 AM
Seriously, is this the 1998 off season? Are the Steelers going to go with practice squad players, rookies and vets who are done?

lloydwoodson
03-15-2013, 11:51 AM
Sanders is going to be back next year.

When do we know if McLendon is coming back? That is a guy I really want back.

SteelersCanada
Seriously, is this the 1998 off season? Are the Steelers going to go with practice squad players, rookies and vets who are done?

We haven't even had the draft yet. I'm sure Mike and friends have a plan.

GMU Steeler
Getting a third round pick for him wouldn't be so bad I guess.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
03-15-2013, 11:55 AM
If we do lose him we will be able to draft Bell & maybe Da'Rick Rogers in the 3rd :thumbsup:

wwhickok
03-15-2013, 11:55 AM
Peace out, thank you for thr 3rdthing Round pick NE.

If this happens and the NFL website sounds pretty confident that it will, Keenan Allen, DeAndre Hopkins, or Justin Hunter is going #17 overall regardless of our other needs.

SteelersCanada
03-15-2013, 11:59 AM
I'd be pretty confident in saying that we'd be taking Robert Woods if this does indeed happen.

wwhickok
03-15-2013, 12:01 PM
I'd be pretty confident in saying that we'd be taking Robert Woods if this does indeed happen.

I could possibly be wrong about my above statement if Mingo or another 'cant pass up' player is still on the board but Woods will NOT go at 17the if thats what you're suggesting

6RingsAndCounting
03-15-2013, 12:02 PM
The only thing I can say is Good thing we were so deep at WR.

SteelersCanada
03-15-2013, 12:03 PM
I could possibly be wrong about my above statement if Mingo or another 'cant pass up' player is still on the board but Woods will NOT go at 17the if thats what you're suggesting

Woods in the second at the earliest. Mingo or Ansah in the first.

ebsteelers
03-15-2013, 12:04 PM

have faith... driving to pittsburgh now, got a try out with coach!!!

5 foot 8 180 pounds..

gonna play nose guard!!

wwhickok
03-15-2013, 12:07 PM
Woods in the second at the earliest. Mingo or Ansah in the first.

Okay, I can dig that.

PhantomJB93
03-15-2013, 12:07 PM
I love Sanders but part of me wants this to happen. He's been really disappointing (there was a point where I was confident he would be superior to Brown and maybe even Wallace, and all he's done is fumble it away), and even if he stays I don't trust our receiving corps. Him leaving would force us to seriously consider a WR in the first two rounds and while it could make our corps worse, I think it's more likely to make it better.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
03-15-2013, 12:09 PM
1. Pass rusher
2. Safety
3. L.Bell
3. Da'Rick Rogers
4. CB
5. ILB
6. TE
7. Ace sanders
7. Depth

:tt03:

Steel_Bus_24
03-15-2013, 12:15 PM
Im not sold on the pass rushers in this draft......Im starting to hope more and more we trade back a bit and pick up an extra pick an go with

Austin if he's not there then Elam

I might like staying around for Cooper if some Joker teams get QB crazy

Given how they graded DeCastro last year....Im having a hard time believing the steelers would pass on him or that other players would be graded higher then him on their Big Board

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
03-15-2013, 12:18 PM
Im not sold on the pass rushers in this draft......Im starting to hope more and more we trade back a bit and pick up an extra pick an go with

Given how they graded DeCastro last year....Im having a hard time believing the steelers would pass on him or that other players would be graded higher then him on their Big Board

I dont understand the hype about Elam he's a 5'9 safety that just hits hard, I dont see no play making ability.

Only reason he got Ints is because of poor throws & thats not going to happen in the pros

OX1947
03-15-2013, 12:21 PM

You arent sold because there is nothing to be sold. If you need proof, they have been talking about Clowney and he isnt even eligible until next year for the draft. That tells you right there, that there is no one coming out in this draft thats a game changer. And even if there was, he wouldnt drop to 17, and even if he did, when was the last time the steelers let a rookie pass rusher start?

lipps83
03-15-2013, 12:27 PM
You arent sold because there is nothing to be sold. If you need proof, they have been talking about Clowney and he isnt even eligible until next year for the draft. That tells you right there, that there is no one coming out in this draft thats a game changer. And even if there was, he wouldnt drop to 17, and even if he did, when was the last time the steelers let a rookie pass rusher start?

Maybe the Steelers are planning to throw the season to get Clowney and use FA losses as an excuse?

It would be a frustrating season, but a small part of me would be okay with that.

Fire Haley
03-15-2013, 12:29 PM
I'll tell you what really screwed us with him, that stupid 3 year rookie contract

Bane
03-15-2013, 12:30 PM
Maybe the Steelers are planning to throw the season to get Clowney and use FA losses as an excuse?

It would be a frustrating season, but a small part of me would be okay with that.

A large part of me would be okay with that. :chuckle:

jjpro11
03-15-2013, 12:34 PM
We would go from having one of the best receiving cores in the league to one of the worst, all in one off-season. Miller is coming off a late season ACL tear... AND.. we have no running game. This isn't 2005 with the Bus, Hartings, Faneca, and company.. At least then we still had a HOF receiver in his prime to make up for the lack of WR depth.

lipps83
03-15-2013, 12:35 PM
A large part of me would be okay with that. :chuckle:

If I knew going into the season that was the plan, then yes. Otherwise he would just be the prize for sucking so bad, which is a great prize.

Maybe they should do it after all.

pete74
03-15-2013, 12:35 PM
How can you guys want to lose Sanders. We would only have Brown from last year on our team thatcaught more then 17 passes. WWe're already going to be hurting losing all the players we lost and can't afford to lose any more

pete74
03-15-2013, 12:39 PM

I love Clowney but I would rather get the top rated QB and let him sit for 3-4 years

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
03-15-2013, 12:39 PM
How can you guys want to lose Sanders. We would only have Brown from last year on our team thatcaught more then 17 passes. WWe're already going to be hurting losing all the players we lost and can't afford to lose any more

Sanders is noting but a #3 receiver and a decent #2 on a good day...

Brown
Plaxico
Cotch
Draft Pick

Seems alright to me

pete74
03-15-2013, 12:45 PM
Sanders is noting but a #3 receiver and a decent #2 on a good day...

Brown
Plaxico
Cotch
Draft Pick

Seems alright to me

What do you consider Cotchery and Plex? Look what they both did last year. If your happy with that wr tandem then I will bump this post in December and see how you feel then.
Cotchry and Plaxico are both old for a WR. Sanders is young and has potential. Especiallywith WWallace out of the way

wwhickok
03-15-2013, 12:50 PM
Its not that I want.to.lose him but as said before, we are going from havingnone of the best ans youngest WR groups to one of the worst/oldest. And we also need draft picks. We were likely going to draft a WR anyway, this may force us to do it earlier. No matter what happened Sanders was our slot receiver. I'll trade a 3rdbad for an inconsistent slot guy any day.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
03-15-2013, 12:50 PM
What do you consider Cotchery and Plex? Look what they both did last year. If your happy with that wr tandem then I will bump this post in December and see how you feel then.
Cotchry and Plaxico are both old for a WR. Sanders is young and has potential. Especiallywith WWallace out of the way

Cotch is a good WR but he never sees the field but when he does he produces plain and simple and like i said also a draft pick who im hoping can make an impact since its a deep draft for receivers. & Plaxico will do well in the red-zone imo maybe 6-7 TDs

Sanders has had enough time to show us his potential and only thing he showed me was a #3 receiver.

Fire Haley
03-15-2013, 12:56 PM
tidbits

Steelers receiver Emmanuel Sanders visiting New England

If the Patriots sign him to an offer sheet and the Steelers don't choose to match it, the Steelers would receive New England's third-round draft choice in April's draft (91st overall) as compensation.

NFL organizations don't normally make it common practice to target restricted free agents because of the high price tag of a new deal coupled with forfeiting a draft pick, the Patriots could present a contract to Sanders in way that the salary cap-tight Steelers couldn't match.

The Steelers are approximately $3 million under the $123 million salary cap. They will pick up another $5.5 million in cap space June 1 because of the release of guard Willie Colon earlier in the week but that money is likely being designated to sign their draft picks.

It's unlikely the Patriots would be willing give up a draft pick for Sanders because they have only five picks this year.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3668206-74/steelers-sanders-draft#axzz2NEp9xLsr

xbroughneck
03-15-2013, 12:57 PM
Steelers Fever has always over valued Sanders worth to this team. He's done nothing to show he's more than an average receiver that is injury prone.

jacobo
03-15-2013, 01:07 PM
Tbh, good. He never lived up to his hype and had way too many mistakes last year alone to justify him getting a big contract next year. If the pats want to offer him a big contract, let them take him. We get a pretty good draft pick out of it. Better than more turnovers and drops with the game in the balance.

GoFor7
03-15-2013, 01:08 PM

http://db66abc2c256b763aaef-ce5d943d4869ae027976e5ad085dd9b0.r76.cf2.rackcdn.c om/2013/72/750/steelers-president-art-rooney-ii_420.jpg

http://www.welovetheiraqiinformationminister.com/images/07-minister.jpg

jjpro11
03-15-2013, 01:13 PM
Some of you are insane. Every time something negative happens to the Steelers, there's always someone out there to spin it as a positive for the team. Losing 2 of our top 3 young WRs in one off-season and gaining a low 3rd round pick is supposed to be a good thing? Our Pro Bowl TE is coming off ACL surgery. Who is Ben going to throw the ball to? How are we going to run the football with absolutely no passing game threat? Teams will stack the box and play press because our receivers other than Brown are slow. Hell, we don't even have Rainey anymore.. Not that he was anything special.. But no speed at all on offense as it sits right now.

Pentheon
03-15-2013, 01:14 PM
Damn I don't wanna see my neighbor go, its cool having a former and current steeler living near me.

I think he's a good player tho, hopefully he stays

jacobo
03-15-2013, 01:18 PM
Some of you are insane. Every time something negative happens to the Steelers, there's always someone out there to spin it as a positive for the team. Losing 2 of our top 3 young WRs in one off-season and gaining a low 3rd round pick is supposed to be a good thing? Our Pro Bowl TE is coming off ACL surgery. Who is Ben going to throw the ball to? How are we going to run the football with absolutely no passing game threat? Teams will stack the box and play press because our receivers other than Brown are slow. Hell, we don't even have Rainey anymore.. Not that he was anything special.. But no speed at all on offense as it sits right now.

There's the draft, and even if we don't get someone there (but we WILL, how can you think otherwise?) Haley's offense is built on precise short routes and accurate throws. Speed isn't nearly as big of a concern as it was for Arians. Cotchery and Plax fit well, plus we still have Brown for his speed. Not to mention we're going to get someone in the draft. It's not a big deal if he leaves.

GoFor7
03-15-2013, 01:18 PM

Don't worry, they'll play STILLERS FOOTBALL! It worked so well last year!

Ben won't have any targets, but he'll still be blamed and Artie will still be blindly worshiped.

GoFor7
03-15-2013, 01:20 PM
There's the draft, and even if we don't get someone there (but we WILL, how can you think otherwise?) Haley's offense is built on precise short routes and accurate throws. Speed isn't nearly as big of a concern as it was for Arians. Cotchery and Plax fit well, plus we still have Brown for his speed. Not to mention we're going to get someone in the draft. It's not a big deal if he leaves.

And that didn't work well last year. You need a deep threat to open things up so the other team can't stack the box.

Remember, it's 2013, not 1973.

Fire Haley
03-15-2013, 01:22 PM
1. Pass rusher
2. Safety
3. L.Bell
3. Da'Rick Rogers

Ben says

WR
RB
WR
RB

pete74
03-15-2013, 01:23 PM
Tbh, good. He never lived up to his hype and had way too many mistakes last year alone to justify him getting a big contract next year. If the pats want to offer him a big contract, let them take him. We get a pretty good draft pick out of it. Better than more turnovers and drops with the game in the balance.

Should we cut Brown to? He had more mistakes. You can say he single handedly cost us 2-3 games. Just saying

jacobo
03-15-2013, 01:24 PM
And that didn't work well last year. You need a deep threat to open things up so the other team can't stack the box.

Remember, it's 2013, not 1973.

It actually worked beautifully when our line was healthy. But players aren't allowed to take steroids anymore.

Remember, it's 2013, not 1973

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
03-15-2013, 01:24 PM
Ben says

WR
RB
WR
RB

Well Ben can shut up cause im trying to dream here :sofunny:

jacobo
03-15-2013, 01:25 PM
Should we cut Brown to? He had more mistakes. You can say he single handedly cost us 2-3 games. Just saying

He also produces alot more than Sanders. Besides, he's already signed a contract and proven himself to be a good receiver. It'd be stupid to cut him.

And this thread is about restricted free agents. Never said Sander should be cut

GoFor7
03-15-2013, 01:25 PM

It's funny how Antonio Brown is the golden boy for yinzer nation when he had a worse season than Wallace.

Remember, Brown actually took the big contract. You should be pretty pissed off at him.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
03-15-2013, 01:26 PM
It actually worked beautifully when our line was healthy. But players aren't allowed to take steroids anymore.

Maybe Terrell Sinkfield from Northern Iowa he ran a 4.19....Mike Wallace has noting on him

steeltheone
03-15-2013, 01:27 PM
Sanders would be better off in New England...Gronk, Hernandez and Amendola could be the heavy lifters and Sanders could throw up his normal 400 yards receiving and 2 touchdowns.

jacobo
03-15-2013, 01:28 PM
It's funny how Antonio Brown is the golden boy for yinzer nation when he had a worse season than Wallace.

Remember, Brown actually took the big contract. You should be pretty pissed off at him.

lol no he didn't. He missed three games, had more catches, and almost had more yards than Wallace. Wallace missed one. Extrapolate it and Brown had a comparable season, if not better

GoFor7
03-15-2013, 01:33 PM

It worked for 3 games. Not quite something to hang your hat on.

But this is typical thinking of Stiller fans. The rest of the league goes in one direction, the Steelers try to relive the past, AND DA STILLERZ IZ ALWAYS RIGHT!

lol no he didn't. He missed three games, had more catches, and almost had more yards than Wallace.

And Wallace is the overall better receiver. You may hate him, but that doesn't mean Brown is a better receiver. He stretches the field so Brown could do what he did.

But yinz guys don't get that because it doesn't show up on a stat sheet.

jacobo
03-15-2013, 01:42 PM
It worked for 3 games. Not quite something to hang your hat on.

But this is typical thinking of Stiller fans. The rest of the league goes in one direction, the Steelers try to relive the past, AND DA STILLERZ IZ ALWAYS RIGHT!

And Wallace is the overall better receiver. You may hate him, but that doesn't mean Brown is a better receiver. He stretches the field so Brown could do what he did.

But yinz guys don't get that because it doesn't show up on a stat sheet.

Calm down lad. Stop generalizing and actually try to have an argument without throwing in petty shots. It destroys any ounce of credibility you may have, and considering your last few posts here, it's depleted.

Our offense was working well until Ben got hurt. He was probably the MVP of the league. That was more than three games.

What makes you think Wallace is a better overall receiver? He's literally a one trick pony. He's great at running streaks and getting open like that, or a designed play that allows him to get wide open underneath and try to do something with it. Brown's better at everything else. He knows how to run with the ball, has far better vision, knows how to hit holes, doesn't mess around with it nearly as much as Wallace, is tougher over the middle, has good speed in his own right, better hands, better route runner, and is has actually taken initiative this offseason to try to become a better leader. Wallace never did any of that. Just go back and watch the two on reverses or screens. Wallace doesn't know where to run. Brown does. Even if he isn't as fast, he can recognize holes and blocks and hit them far better than Wallace does. Not to mention he's more willing to make tough catches, unlike Wallace. I don't understand how anyone can say Wallace is a better overall receiver.

And for the record, I don't hate Wallace. I dislike what he did the past season, but I also dislike what all our receivers did. Before that I was enamored with Wallace. Don't assume. Strawmen are bad and make you look uneducated.

SteelersCanada
03-15-2013, 01:48 PM
Brown sucks.
Wallace is great.
Steelers suck without Wallace.

We've heard it. Stop bitching about Brown's contract and wishing Wallace were still here.

Talk about beating a dead horse - holy shit.

bl4ckng0ld
03-15-2013, 02:00 PM
I really, really hope we don't lose Sanders.

Are we going to be Brown, Cotchery, Gilreath, Burress without him? AND no Heath? I just don't see it working well.

Soberdisposition
03-15-2013, 02:01 PM
You have to look at who we could draft in the 3rd round and compare them to Sanders, in the 3rd round i think you're looking at the likes of ;

Terrance Williams (Baylor)
Escobar (San Diego) (NB i think we should draft this guy anyway)
Quinton Patton (Louisiana tech)
Ryan Swope (A&M)
Aaron Dobson (Marshall )
Marqise Goodwin (Texas)

At Wide Receiver, then you've also got the likes of Knile Davies to step into the hole at running back.

I honestly think if we did trade him, and it allowed us to pick up Escobar and someone like Swope/Dobson id be happy, even picking up Escobar and picking up someone to help the D such as T Mathieu or Z Gooden represents a great scenario.

Only question mark is Swopes concussions.

harrison'samonster
03-15-2013, 02:04 PM
I really, really hope we don't lose Sanders.

Are we going to be Brown, Cotchery, Gilreath, Burress without him? AND no Heath? I just don't see it working well.

welcome to the board! It would be nice to keep Sanders. However, considering how deep this draft is, it's not the end of the world to lose him if we pick up a 3rd round pick.

Don't forget, the Ravens gave Boldin away for a 6th round pick!

SteelersCanada
03-15-2013, 02:05 PM
Antonio Brown ‏@AntonioBrown84

Guess AB the last guy standing ! #SteelersNation

Oh AB, this is why I love you.

harrison'samonster
03-15-2013, 02:06 PM
You have to look at who we could draft in the 3rd round and compare them to Sanders, in the 3rd round i think you're looking at the likes of ;

Terrance Williams (Baylor)
Escobar (San Diego) (NB i think we should draft this guy anyway)
Quinton Patton (Louisiana tech)
Ryan Swope (A&M)
Aaron Dobson (Marshall )
Marqise Goodwin (Texas)

At Wide Receiver, then you've also got the likes of Knile Davies to step into the hole at running back.

I honestly think if we did trade him, and it allowed us to pick up Escobar and someone like Swope/Dobson id be happy, even picking up Escobar and picking up someone to help the D such as T Mathieu or Z Gooden represents a great scenario.

Only question mark is Swopes concussions.

some good players on that list!

pete74
03-15-2013, 02:06 PM
Then again who wouldn't of traded him for a chance to get Lima Sweed before we got him. What I'm saying is all these college players look great in college but alot will never make it in the NFL. Maybe we get lucky but in the 3RDround iit's a 50-50 shot

harrison'samonster
03-15-2013, 02:08 PM
Antonio Brown ‏@AntonioBrown84

Guess AB the last guy standing ! #SteelersNation

Oh AB, this is why I love you.

He needs to keep improving! I love his play, some ppl think he's gotten as good as he can, but I think he can still get better.

jacobo
03-15-2013, 02:10 PM
Then again who wouldn't of traded him for a chance to get Lima Sweed before we got him. What I'm saying is all these college players look great in college but alot will never make it in the NFL. Maybe we get lucky but in the 3RDround iit's a 50-50 shot

But you have to ask yourself, is it worth it to match a big contract for a guy who's unproven and injury prone? The draft obviously isn't a guarantee, but Ben's proven he can make average receivers look pretty good, so I don't think the chances of a guy busting are really that high.

SteelersCanada
03-15-2013, 02:11 PM
He needs to keep improving! I love his play, some ppl think he's gotten as good as he can, but I think he can still get better.

And then, Plax responded with,

Plaxico Burress ‏@pIaxico

@AntonioBrown84 we gone get it bruh

I think Plaxico can provide a lot of wisdom and leadership for AB which would continue his growth and development. I agree with you, I think he can still grow and continue to improve which means he could turn into a scary player for us.

Soberdisposition
03-15-2013, 02:21 PM

IMO i think you are correct to an extent, but whichever avenue you take at this juncture you're going to be taking a risk, id rather take it on the players i listed than Sanders.

Now ive said this however, watch him stay and explode next season.

sloppyjoe
03-15-2013, 02:22 PM
i'll take the 3rd rounder
#3 wsr are a dime a dozen in the nfl.
he will easily be replaced

kent
03-15-2013, 02:26 PM
People are acting like this is the move that will kill us..it's going to be alright, btw how many damn wrs do that Patriots need?

Fire Arians
03-15-2013, 02:28 PM
i hope we can keep sanders but if not, at least we get a 3rd rounder for him. it would hurt though, i still think the kid can be a big contributor

with that said I still am a little disappointed in him, i thought he would at least be a better WR than brown, but he isn't. yet.

GoFor7
03-15-2013, 02:30 PM
People are acting like this is the move that will kill us..it's going to be alright, btw how many damn wrs do that Patriots need?

harrison'samonster
03-15-2013, 02:37 PM

are you going to keep trolling all season?

Bayz101
03-15-2013, 02:39 PM

Yes, he will. It's what he's good at. :chuckle:

bl4ckng0ld
03-15-2013, 02:40 PM
ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on SportsCenter Friday that Brandon Lloyd is willing to return to the Patriots on a reduced contract.

Just above the report that Sanders will be visiting the Patriots today. Good news for Steelers.

TRH
03-15-2013, 02:45 PM
i don't know who's losing more players - the Steelers or the Ravens - sheez.

Besides at the QB position, i'm very jealous of the Browns roster right now. Don't even bother coming with sarcasm - its the truth.

This draft will be REALLY interesting.

Also - Schefter has been deadly accurate this whole free-agent period - the man has more connections than Goodell himself now.

austinfrench76
03-15-2013, 02:49 PM
Brown just tweeted he is the last man standing???!!! Is Sanders gone?

jacobo
03-15-2013, 02:51 PM

I think I handed him his ass and he's trying to save face :chuckle:

TheVet
03-15-2013, 03:02 PM
It's not as if losing Sanders would be a completely horrible thing; we're still waiting for the breakout year, and maybe it never really happens. But the real problem is that we're suffering death by a thousand cuts. Too many holes to fill all at once.

Are we allowed to use the R-word yet? Because we are rebuilding.

teegre
03-15-2013, 03:11 PM
Calm down lad. Stop generalizing and actually try to have an argument without throwing in petty shots. It destroys any ounce of credibility you may have, and considering your last few posts here, it's depleted.

Our offense was working well until Ben got hurt. He was probably the MVP of the league. That was more than three games.

Don't assume. Strawmen are bad and make you look uneducated.

The bolded parts sum his posts up to a T. He throws rocks, and then cries "foul!" when people shatter his glass house.

The underlined part has been told to him over & over & over... to no avail.

Calling SteelFury02 and Riddle fo Steel... we need some Gofer repellant!!! (Note: I can now add you to the list of names to call. Good job.)

teegre
03-15-2013, 03:13 PM
It's not as if losing Sanders would be a completely horrible thing; we're still waiting for the breakout year, and maybe it never really happens. But the real problem is that we're suffering death by a thousand cuts. Too many holes to fill all at once.

Are we allowed to use the R-word yet? Because we are rebuilding.

Do the Steelers still have BB? Yes... then they are fine.

BB makes receivers look good. Wallace was good, but BB made him a star.

kent
03-15-2013, 03:32 PM

We should be mad at him because he took a contract that he was offered????? So if you're boss comes in and offers you a raise you're going to turn it down? I think brown is great but idk if he's a number one reciever but neither was Wallace.

TheVet
03-15-2013, 03:37 PM
Yes, I do believe that the QB generally makes the receivers, and there are plenty of young receivers available. But we need so much all at once ... we're really depending on a perfect draft this year, and our drafts have been kind of mediocre over the past 5 years or so, but with the occasional gem. Even Ben couldn't make Limas look good, you know?

GoFor7
03-15-2013, 04:14 PM
We should be mad at him because he took a contract that he was offered????? So if you're boss comes in and offers you a raise you're going to turn it down? I think brown is great but idk if he's a number one reciever but neither was Wallace.

Is this question serious? Of course Brown is going to take the money ding-dong. Anyone in that situation would. What I'm doing is pointing out yinzer nation's hypocrisy. You had two receivers that had a bad season. One was making more than the other. The one that was making more money (Brown) seems to get a pass from everyone, while the one playing on a tender (Wallace) got crucified non-stop.

And by the way, I'm not trolling, I'm telling the truth. If you have the mentality of a five year old and get that easily bent out of shape when it's pointed out all is not well in Steeler land, my advice would be suck it up.

Funny how Pittsburgh is portrayed as a "hard-nosed, hard-working" city, yet you all follow the establishment without question. :noidea:

Quackjack
03-15-2013, 04:22 PM
He won't go, the Pats can't afford to lose another pick.

bornaSteelersfan
03-15-2013, 04:23 PM
GoFor7, I agree Wallace played way above what he was getting paid. I am happy for him that he got the big payday. I think it makes up for all the years he was underpaid by The Steelers. I don't think he is worth $12 million a year, though.

Brown may not have gotten the amount of TD's that Wallace got, but he has most often been the "clutch" receiver on 3rd downs to move the chains. He fights for the ball and usually holds on (usually).

I don't appreciate the tone you take with other Steelers fans, though. You come off as crass and arrogant. We all have opinions and I consider yours to be of value, but try to show more class.

GoFor7
03-15-2013, 04:28 PM
GoFor7, I agree Wallace played way above what he was getting paid. I am happy for him that he got the big payday. I think it makes up for all the years he was underpaid by The Steelers. I don't think he is worth $12 million a year, though.

Brown may not have gotten the amount of TD's that Wallace got, but he has most often been the "clutch" receiver on 3rd downs to move the chains. He fights for the ball and usually holds on (usually).

Was Wallace overpaid? Probably. But the Dolphins are getting possibly the best deep threat in the NFL. To them it was worth it.

As for Brown, you can't say he was clutch this season. It sure looked liked he's be that kind of receiver after the big catch against the Ravens in the playoffs a few years ago, but this year he took a major step back and showed a lot of immaturity. He had terrible drops and fumbles just like Wallace did.

My point is don't crucify Wallace for a bad season and protect Brown, the guy who actually got the payday, had a terrible year himself.

OX1947
03-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Is this question serious? Of course Brown is going to take the money ding-dong. Anyone in that situation would. What I'm doing is pointing out yinzer nation's hypocrisy. You had two receivers that had a bad season. One was making more than the other. The one that was making more money (Brown) seems to get a pass from everyone, while the one playing on a tender (Wallace) got crucified non-stop.

And by the way, I'm not trolling, I'm telling the truth. If you have the mentality of a five year old and get that easily bent out of shape when it's pointed out all is not well in Steeler land, my advice would be suck it up.

Funny how Pittsburgh is portrayed as a "hard-nosed, hard-working" city, yet you all follow the establishment without question. :noidea:

Brown got a high ankle sprain early in the season that derailed his season. High ankle sprains are worse then sprained knees. Especially for a cut and run type player.

Brown plays hard every play. Wallace quit on the Steelers in the middle of the 2011 season when he found out he wasnt getting his money. Fuck Wallace, and those who keep defending him are narrow minded and delusional.

GoFor7
03-15-2013, 04:39 PM
Brown got a high ankle sprain early in the season that derailed his season. High ankle sprains are worse then sprained knees. Especially for a cut and run type player.

Brown plays hard every play. Wallace quit on the Steelers in the middle of the 2011 season when he found out he wasnt getting his money. Fuck Wallace, and those who keep defending him are narrow minded and delusional.

Okay, you can bring up the high-ankle sprain all you want, but he still fumbled and dropped balls he should have easily caught.

Are you all trying to defend the FO signing him to that much money?

bornaSteelersfan
03-15-2013, 04:42 PM
Was Wallace overpaid? Probably. But the Dolphins are getting possibly the best deep threat in the NFL. To them it was worth it.

As for Brown, you can't say he was clutch this season. It sure looked liked he's be that kind of receiver after the big catch against the Ravens in the playoffs a few years ago, but this year he took a major step back and showed a lot of immaturity. He had terrible drops and fumbles just like Wallace did.

My point is don't crucify Wallace for a bad season and protect Brown, the guy who actually got the payday, had a terrible year himself.

I am certainly not crucifying Wallace. He did not perform as well as he had in the past. I think the new offensive scheme hurt him, but that might be his own fault for holding out. Neither one of them played very well at times this past season.

If you look at the actual stats, though, Brown had a total of 45 first downs while Wallace had only 34. They both fumbled the same amount. Brown had 66 catches on 105 targets while Wallace had only 64 catches on 119 targets. Brown only had 5 TD's to Wallaces 8. Does that mean Wallace is worth $4.8 million more per year?! That is how much more he is making when it seems his production is quite similar.

You can say what you want about The Dolphins getting a great deep threat and they think it is worth it, but Steelers fans mostly feel differently from his inconsistant play.

GoFor7
03-15-2013, 04:44 PM
I am certainly not crucifying Wallace. He did not perform as well as he had in the past. I think the new offensive scheme hurt him, but that might be his own fault for holding out. Neither one of them played very well at times this past season.

If you look at the actual stats, though, Brown had a total of 45 first downs while Wallace had only 34. They both fumbled the same amount. Brown had 66 catches on 105 targets while Wallace had only 64 catches on 119 targets. Brown only had 5 TD's to Wallaces 8. Does that mean Wallace is worth $4.8 million more per year?! That is how much more he is making when it seems his production is quite similar.

You can say what you want about The Dolphins getting a great deep threat and they think it is worth it, but Steelers fans mostly feel differently from his inconsistant play.

That's all fine and dandy, but you simply cannot say Brown was "clutch" this season regardless of Wallace.

bornaSteelersfan
03-15-2013, 04:49 PM
That's all fine and dandy, but you simply cannot say Brown was "clutch" this season regardless of Wallace.

Of course I can say that! Sure he made some mistakes, but the first downs he created prove he was clutch more often than not. I have watched every single game this past season. Wallace blew third downs quite a few times and made me pound my fists often while I screamed for joy when Brown got those first downs.

However, this thread is about Emmanuel Sanders. I thought that we should have given him a 2nd round tender before The Steelers designated him as a 3rd round. I think he earned at least $2 million for his play last season. I know he has great potential and runs great routes if he can stay healthy and hold onto the ball. If he leaves, it will definitely be a big hole that can't be easily filled in the draft. He has created a chemistry with Ben for years and that will be missed.

TRH
03-15-2013, 04:49 PM
Here we go again.............

Arguing about Wallace and Brown, who's worth it, who's not, who dropped more balls, etc...............

YAWN

:yawn:

pczach
03-15-2013, 04:54 PM
The fact of the matter is that the Steelers passing game revolved around Wallace. He was the 1st option on the majority of plays this year. They handed him the #1 receiver position that Brown had the year before when he outplayed Wallace and was voted the team MVP by the players. All this was to give Wallace a chance to prove to everyone that he is the great #1 receiver he wanted to be paid like. And what did Wallace do? He coughed up a giant hairball! Antonio Brown may not be perfect, but what did he do when he was outplaying his contract? He worked his ass off, and did everything he could to be a better receiver, better player, better teammate. He didn't demand anything or hold the team hostage. What did Wallace do in that same position?....I'll let you answer that. I hope you can be honest with yourself.

I don't know who will be playing Wr for this team next year, but don't sleep on this group. Also don't forget that they will be adding to it from the draft. I hope Sanders stays, but if the OL plays well....watch out.

fer522
03-15-2013, 04:59 PM
The fact of the matter is that the Steelers passing game revolved around Wallace. He was the 1st option on the majority of plays this year. They handed him the #1 receiver position that Brown had the year before when he outplayed Wallace and was voted the team MVP by the players. All this was to give Wallace a chance to prove to everyone that he is the great #1 receiver he wanted to be paid like. And what did Wallace do? He coughed up a giant hairball! Antonio Brown may not be perfect, but what did he do when he was outplaying his contract? He worked his ass off, and did everything he could to be a better receiver, better player, better teammate. He didn't demand anything or hold the team hostage. What did Wallace do in that same position?....I'll let you answer that. I hope you can be honest with yourself.

I don't know who will be playing Wr for this team next year, but don't sleep on this group. Also don't forget that they will be adding to it from the draft. I hope Sanders stays, but if the OL plays well....watch out.

Well said bro,well said :tt03:

Bane
03-15-2013, 05:02 PM
So. Emmanuel Sanders.

Bitch better not go to Boston.

:sign05:

SteelersCanada
03-15-2013, 05:11 PM
Steelers Depot ‏@Steelersdepot

Unconfirmed here be advised RT @BIG3Sports: Getting word that Emmanuel Sanders has signed an offer sheet with the #Patriots.

And then ...

Also @_ErikaLeigh is reporting that #Steelers WR Emmanuel Sanders has an offer sheet from the #Patriots

Fuckers.

Quackjack
03-15-2013, 05:11 PM
So. Emmanuel Sanders.

Bitch better not go to Boston.

:sign05:

:chuckle:

pete74
03-15-2013, 05:12 PM
I hope Brown does alot better this season because we will be lucky to win 8ganes if he dosnt improve. He lost us 2-3 games last season and we can't have that. I'm a little worried with him going against #1 corners but hopefully he steps it up
I'mvery worried about losing Sanders and Wallace

bornaSteelersfan
03-15-2013, 05:15 PM
The "Young Money Crew" is certainly living up to their name. I always knew this would be a problem.

TRH
03-15-2013, 05:21 PM
Here we go again.............

Arguing about Wallace and Brown, who's worth it, who's not, who dropped more balls, etc...............

YAWN

:yawn:

The "Young Money Crew" is certainly living up to their name. I always knew this would be a problem.

certainly. No way you can keep 3 young hotshot receivers a secret. We were likely to only keep 1 - and thats what happened

FrancoLambert
03-15-2013, 05:31 PM
Anybody still living near that large river in Egypt?

We are rebuilding.

WVABE
03-15-2013, 05:32 PM
I hope AB has a record setting year and while holding the Lombardi gives a piece sign because he's the MVP.

casteeler
03-15-2013, 05:35 PM
Anybody still living near that large river in Egypt?

We are rebuilding.

Are you kidding? This team is SB bound for sure:chuckle:

SteelersCanada
03-15-2013, 05:37 PM
Are you kidding? This team is SB bound for sure:chuckle:

I was wondering when you and the other 'we're fucked' clowns were going to show up. We lasted so long, too. What a shame.

jacobo
03-15-2013, 05:37 PM

So are you not going to address my last post and grasp your hardest onto this little "clutch" point?

If you're not trolling, you're not very good at this whole "debate" thing. Maybe you should apply for a job at First Take!

pittpete
03-15-2013, 06:04 PM
Emmanuel Sanders Stats
16 games
44 catches
626 yards
1 TD
Not irreplaceable IMO
Bunch of FA Wr's out there with comparative stats.
Hell, withn the 3rd round pick we get if the Pats sign him, go get Danario Alexander and give up the pick to SD

steelfury02
03-15-2013, 06:05 PM
at this rate, the only thing I can say his "ah well" and move on

harrison'samonster
03-15-2013, 06:08 PM
Emmanuel Sanders Stats
16 games
44 catches
626 yards
1 TD
Not irreplaceable IMO

exactly. Sanders stepped up a few times and looked like he could become something. Nate Washington was the same.

Steelers5895
03-15-2013, 06:09 PM
i'll take the 3rd. he is a #3 wr at best. cant stay healthy. we can get another wr to play and put up his production or more at that pick.

harrison'samonster
03-15-2013, 06:11 PM
i'll take the 3rd. he is a #3 wr at best. cant stay healthy. we can get another wr to play and put up his production or more at that pick.

I agree, I think a lot of people are going to be upset because this was such a surprise, but he's not going to be that hard to replace. An occasional good play mixed in with occasional drops when wide open.

SteelersCanada
03-15-2013, 06:27 PM
If he does sign it, it's not even completely unreasonable that we then trade one or both of these third round picks, move back into the second round and grab a WR or RB that we really want.

That, or we use one of them to trade up in the second and grab Matt Elam.

Fire Haley
03-15-2013, 06:36 PM

Unconfirmed here be advised RT @BIG3Sports: Getting word that Emmanuel Sanders has signed an offer sheet with the #Patriots.

And then ...

Also @_ErikaLeigh is reporting that #Steelers WR Emmanuel Sanders has an offer sheet from the #Patriots

Fuckers.

Steelers have a week to look it over, if true

more conflicting reports

Report: #Steelers Haven’t Been Notified About WR Emmanuel Sanders Receiving Offer Sheet From #Patriots

There have been several reports on Twitter in the last hour that state Pittsburgh Steelers restricted free agent wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders has received an offer sheet from the New England Patriots.

Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review reports via Twitter that the Steelers have not be informed that Sanders has been presented an offer sheet by Patriots, let alone signed one.

He also reports that the Patriots would have to notify the Steelers immediately when and if it happens.........

teegre
03-15-2013, 06:37 PM
If he does sign it, it's not even completely unreasonable that we then trade one or both of these third round picks, move back into the second round and grab a WR or RB that we really want.

That, or we use one of them to trade up in the second and grab Matt Elam.

My spidey-sense was tingling...

Did someone say ELAM???

zcoop
03-15-2013, 07:21 PM
I agree, I think a lot of people are going to be upset because this was such a surprise, but he's not going to be that hard to replace. An occasional good play mixed in with occasional drops when wide open.

I agree that he can be replaced as can anybody else on the roster but team sports is all about chemistry. We've lost a lot across the board and it will take some time to get things going again. We'll see how it works though.

6RINGS
03-15-2013, 07:30 PM
I agree that he can be replaced as can anybody else on the roster but team sports is all about chemistry. We've lost a lot across the board and it will take some time to get things going again. We'll see how it works though.

I understand your concern, but the Steelers had anything but chemistry on offense by seasons end. Colbert has made good on his promise to not bring back players from an 8-8 team hoping for a different outcome.

Quackjack
03-15-2013, 07:31 PM
Any news with this?

zcoop
03-15-2013, 07:40 PM
I understand your concern, but the Steelers had anything but chemistry on offense by seasons end. Colbert has made good on his promise to not bring back players from an 8-8 team hoping for a different outcome.

We were 12 - 4 before last season (2011) and made it to the SB the year before. So, it is evident that we had some chemistry.

casteeler
03-15-2013, 08:00 PM
I was wondering when you and the other 'we're fucked' clowns were going to show up. We lasted so long, too. What a shame.

I never said "we're fu*%ed". It's a rebuilding period and I realize that,sorry to rain on your 'everything peachy' parade

austinfrench76
03-15-2013, 09:37 PM
It just seems like the whole "young money crew" needed broken up. You see this in the work place all the time. Someone is a toxic employee or disgruntled, Wallace, and the others have to listen to him complain and it brings everyone down. Happens on sales teams especially all the time. If he's gone, he's gone and we pick up an extra 3rd round pick. Use that to move up in the 1st or bundle our 2 3rds and get an extra 2. No matter what, I think we win. And guys, I think you're forgetting, we did sign Spaeth today so BOOM! In your face all of our opponents! J/k

Fire Haley
03-16-2013, 01:18 AM
Any news with this?

Emmanuel Sanders has signed an offer sheet with the New England Patriots that will force the Steelers to match the offer or let him go, too.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-wr-sanders-could-be-headed-to-new-england-679537/

Fire Haley
03-16-2013, 01:42 AM
Emmanuel Sanders signs Patriots' offer sheet

Steelers wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders might be joining the Patriots.

Sanders, a restricted free agent, visited Gillette Stadium yesterday and signed the Patriots' offer sheet, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. The terms aren't known.

Here is what that now means.

1. The Steelers can match the contract offer and retain Sanders. The problem here is the Steelers are thin on cap room.

2. The Steelers can let Sanders sign with the Patriots and receive the Pats' 2013 third-round pick as compensation. The Steelers assigned Sanders a low-round tender, which means a new team would have to surrender the player's original draft round as compensation, and Sanders was a third-round pick in 2010. This would leave the Pats with picks in the first and second round, plus two in the seventh round.

3. The Pats and Steelers could negotiate a trade, as the Pats did with Wes Welker and the Dolphins in 2007.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/the_blitz/2013/03/report_emmanuel_sanders_signs_patriots_offer_sheet

teegre
03-16-2013, 01:51 AM
Everyone now thinks that Pittsburgh will go WR early in this draft, but don't be surprised if they go TE early (but, still add a WR later).

BB found his "go to" guy in Heath.

Haley's offense is built on the high-percentage pass.

Defenses still have not caught up to the two-TE set.

Colbert avers that WRs can be had on the later rounds.

There are two stud TEs (so get them early), but about fifteen really good WRs (one can wait a few rounds, and still get a quality player).

R1: Eiffert (stud)
R2: Ertz (stud)
R3: Escobar (Aaron Hernandez clone)

ZoneBlitzer
03-16-2013, 02:19 AM
2/3 of the starting receiving corp gone in an instant. They won't cough up the money to keep Sanders. They're stuck with the moron Brown.

kan_t
03-16-2013, 02:21 AM
Sanders is a solid contributor to the team and I hope he stays. But if he's gone, I would gladly take the 3rd round pick and the cap saving (although not much).

Rick5895
03-16-2013, 04:56 AM
We were 12 - 4 before last season (2011) and made it to the SB the year before. So, it is evident that we had some chemistry.

Yes 12-4 in 2011. However, that team had leadership in the locker room that kept everyone together. 2012 team lacked leadership (Ward and Farrior gone) and quite frankly when that happens you lose "chemistry".
A changing of the players was/is neccesary, I will wait to see what becomes of the draft and the season before I start crying all is lost because we lost a good WR (Wallace) and an average WR (sanders-if he does in fact go) This team will continue to be competitive and compete for playoffs and championships because they do not over react, like most fans do.

pete74
03-16-2013, 05:22 AM
I can't understand the reasoning here. Sanders is very good and the Pats know it which is why they want him. Yes that 3rd round pick sounds great but you have less then a 50-50 shot of finding a good WR in there. We trained him for four years and he is very close to being just as talented as Brown at receiving. He had an injury that dropped him back on the depth chart but you can't call him injury prone. If he's injury prone then you can also call Brown injury prone.
We lost way to many players and we all see what happens to other teams around the NFL when they have differentplayers all the time. We need to keep our young players and keep developing them.

Buddha Bus
03-16-2013, 07:13 AM
I do like Sanders and think him leaving would suck. We would now be relying heavily on Burress and Cotchery to step up and play more. That might not necessarily be a bad thing, but if Burress is not capable of carrying that extra load, the offense will suffer.

I'll be interested to see what they do in regards to a WR in the draft.

zcoop
03-16-2013, 07:20 AM
Yes 12-4 in 2011. However, that team had leadership in the locker room that kept everyone together. 2012 team lacked leadership (Ward and Farrior gone) and quite frankly when that happens you lose "chemistry".
A changing of the players was/is neccesary, I will wait to see what becomes of the draft and the season before I start crying all is lost because we lost a good WR (Wallace) and an average WR (sanders-if he does in fact go) This team will continue to be competitive and compete for playoffs and championships because they do not over react, like most fans do.

I hope you're right but I think that most of these young folks have done some growing up in the years they've been on the staff. We can have all the leadership we want but if the talent ain't there, then we just have leadership and leadership alone doesn't win games. We lost a few proven playmakers and contrary to the opinion of some on this board, they aren't a dime a dozen.

It almost seems as if Tomlin's being set up to fail.

VaDave
03-16-2013, 07:26 AM
If they are thinking about using Sanders in the Welker role, they will kill him. As much as I like Sanders, he does get hurt a lot. With him catching 1000+ passes a year, he's going to have a very short career.

steeltheone
03-16-2013, 07:27 AM
I can't understand the reasoning here. Sanders is very good and the Pats know it which is why they want him. Yes that 3rd round pick sounds great but you have less then a 50-50 shot of finding a good WR in there. We trained him for four years and he is very close to being just as talented as Brown at receiving. He had an injury that dropped him back on the depth chart but you can't call him injury prone. If he's injury prone then you can also call Brown injury prone.
We lost way to many players and we all see what happens to other teams around the NFL when they have differentplayers all the time. We need to keep our young players and keep developing them.

Sanders has been nothing but potential since he was drafted. The common myth around the Steelers boards is " he is the best receiver on the team, injuries are holding him back"

Well last year he was injury free, Brown went down for 3 or 4 games and we still got 626 yards and 1 touchdown from Sanders. These are not terrible stats but nothing that could not be replaced.

Atlanta Dan
03-16-2013, 07:50 AM
Steelers appear to believe if you have a top level QB you can use spare parts for receivers and running backs

2013 is shaping up as a rebuilding year

Twentyvalve
03-16-2013, 07:55 AM
Bilecheck (spelling?) is not that dumb. He is one of the shrewdest, if not the shrewdest, coache in the league. If he signs Sanders, he will use him in ways that the Steelers cannot even imagine.

If they are thinking about using Sanders in the Welker role, they will kill him. As much as I like Sanders, he does get hurt a lot. With him catching 1000+ passes a year, he's going to have a very short career.

43Hitman
03-16-2013, 07:55 AM
When we passed along the report from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette saying Emmanuel Sanders had signed an offer sheet with the Patriots, we noted that there was no information about the terms of Sanders’ offer sheet, and that no other media outlets had confirmed the report.

According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, there’s a good reason for that: Sanders hasn’t actually signed an offer sheet with the Patriots. The Observer-Reporter also reported that Sanders left New England without signing.

The Patriots are still considering whether to make an offer to Sanders, which would require them to give the Steelers their third-round draft pick if they didn’t match the offer and allowed Sanders to go.

The Patriots have more cap space than the Steelers this season, so it wouldn’t be hard for New England to structure the contract in a way that makes for a big cap hit in 2013, which the Steelers would have a hard time matching. But if the Patriots add Sanders they’ll also lose their third-round draft pick. And they’ve already traded away their fourth-round pick for Aqib Talib, their fifth-round pick for Albert Haynesworth and their sixth-round pick for Chad Ochocinco.

Right now, the Patriots are still considering whether they want to give up a third-round pick for Sanders.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/16/not-so-fast-on-emmanuel-sanders-to-new-england/

steve314
03-16-2013, 07:56 AM

Agree. Of course the D would be ready if they threw him the ball on every single play. Doubt he would catch most of them, though, so 1000+ seems like a stretch.

Steel Peon
03-16-2013, 09:06 AM
What's really funny about all this, to me, is that I'm pretty sure that Wallace didn't even go to any interviews as a RFA.

steeltheone
03-16-2013, 09:20 AM
What's really funny about all this, to me, is that I'm pretty sure that Wallace didn't even go to any interviews as a RFA.

That is very interesting...They probably had contact before the official start of free agency. Pretty sure most do, even if it is unofficial.

cowherpower
03-16-2013, 09:26 AM
Losing Sanders will hurt, seeing him excel in N.E. will hurt more. What a shame to draft someone, always see the potential in spurts but never truly realizing it because of injuries. I could see him having a 1000 yard season if he goes to N.E. I could also see him having that here. Double whammy, now we HAVE to draft a WR and seeing him with one of my most hated teams sucks.

Dino 6 Rings
03-16-2013, 09:34 AM
Meh, he is a good #3 but I am not too worried about losing him. If he wants to leave so be it, that is what the draft is for. Yeah, I've actually communicated with him directly once and he seems like a solid kid, but he isnt an elite playmaker and he is replacable.

ricardisimo
03-16-2013, 09:35 AM
Sanders is going to be back next year.

When do we know if McLendon is coming back? That is a guy I really want back.
Pretty sure McClendon signed.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-16-2013, 09:58 AM
Losing Sanders will hurt, seeing him excel in N.E. will hurt more. What a shame to draft someone, always see the potential in spurts but never truly realizing it because of injuries. I could see him having a 1000 yard season if he goes to N.E. I could also see him having that here. Double whammy, now we HAVE to draft a WR and seeing him with one of my most hated teams sucks.

I agree, the fact that we may see him hurt us on field if he leaves will be more disappointing. Especially since he will likely make William Gay look terrible in the process.

That being said, I think a 3rd round pick for Sanders is a good deal. We only seem to have undersized slot receivers on the team and Burress right now. Could draft a decent replacement in the 3rd.

Fire Haley
03-16-2013, 10:20 AM
or maybe Bouchette was drunk again and jumped the gun

I'd rather believe Schefter

Patriots still mulling whether to sign Steelers WR Emmanuel Sanders to an offer sheet. So far, no decision made and no offer sheet signed.

Quackjack
03-16-2013, 10:20 AM
5 bucks says Sanders is a Steeler this year.

pete74
03-16-2013, 10:34 AM

Then all the people that wanted the third round pick instead of him will start loving him again

Fire Haley
03-16-2013, 10:55 AM
or we could be dead broke and not able to sign him if we wanted to if he does eventually ink their offer sheet - and we just signed Spaeth too

The Steelers are about $3 million under the $123 million salary cap.

They will pick up another $5.5 million in cap space June 1 because of the release of guard Willie Colon (who signed a one-year, $1.2 million deal with the Jets on Friday) that will be designated for their draft picks

: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz2NiZmG0wI

harrison'samonster
03-16-2013, 11:09 AM

i'd rather have the 5 bucks and a 3rd round pick.

No, seriously I'd be happy either way. Consider that Holmes was traded away for a 5th, and the Ravens just traded Boldin for a 6th, Sanders for a 3rd is a good deal.

Fire Haley
03-16-2013, 11:15 AM
I want a top 5 rated RB and WR from this draft with some big play ability in that case.

We need more young stud playmakers on offense that can come in and produce right away.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-16-2013, 12:35 PM
i'd rather have the 5 bucks and a 3rd round pick.

No, seriously I'd be happy either way. Consider that Holmes was traded away for a 5th, and the Ravens just traded Boldin for a 6th, Sanders for a 3rd is a good deal.

I agree. We can get a good WR and RB in the 3rd with that extra pick, or even get a WR and ILB and then think of seeing if Jonathan Franklin is still there in the 4th.

Hawaii 5-0
03-16-2013, 12:43 PM
Not so fast on Emmanuel Sanders to New England

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 16, 2013

When we passed along the report from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette saying Emmanuel Sanders had signed an offer sheet with the Patriots, we noted that there was no information about the terms of Sanders’ offer sheet, and that no other media outlets had confirmed the report.

According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, there’s a good reason for that: Sanders hasn’t actually signed an offer sheet with the Patriots. The Observer-Reporter also reported that Sanders left New England without signing.

The Patriots are still considering whether to make an offer to Sanders, which would require them to give the Steelers their third-round draft pick if they didn’t match the offer and allowed Sanders to go.

The Patriots have more cap space than the Steelers this season, so it wouldn’t be hard for New England to structure the contract in a way that makes for a big cap hit in 2013, which the Steelers would have a hard time matching. But if the Patriots add Sanders they’ll also lose their third-round draft pick. And they’ve already traded away their fourth-round pick for Aqib Talib, their fifth-round pick for Albert Haynesworth and their sixth-round pick for Chad Ochocinco.

Right now, the Patriots are still considering whether they want to give up a third-round pick for Sanders.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/16/not-so-fast-on-emmanuel-sanders-to-new-england/

Fire Haley
03-16-2013, 02:08 PM
I was right - Bouchette was drunk

Updating a previous item, the Washington Observer-Reporter reports restricted free agent Emmanuel Sanders left New England Friday without signing an offer sheet.

It appears the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette jumped the gun

http://www.observer-reporter.com/article/20130315/SPORTS0403/130319523#.UURxLdE6VYT

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
03-16-2013, 02:41 PM
Report: Patriots decide to part ways with Brandon Lloyd
Posted by Darin Gantt on March 16, 2013, 3:36 PM EDT
Brandon Lloyd AP

Well, that clears that up.

After going back and forth on restructuring his contract, the Patriots have decided to release wide receiver Brandon Lloyd, according to Jeff Howe of the Boston Herald.

That would seem to indicate they’re serious about signing Steelers wideout Emmanuel Sanders to an offer sheet, though that paperwork hasn’t been filed.

They’ve also signed Danny Amendola and Donald Jones, but that’s a thin group considering their durability issues, meaning the Pats would still need to add there.

Lloyd shouldn’t have to look for work for long, as he’s clearly the best of an odd lot of wideouts on the free agent market.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/16/report-patriots-decide-to-part-ways-with-brandon-lloyd/

jacobo
03-16-2013, 02:51 PM
sign lloyd, vet min, etc etc etc

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
03-16-2013, 02:53 PM
sign lloyd, vet min, etc etc etc

I would not mind if we did he's a very good route runner & hard worker.

But I just want another 3rd rounder for our team

austinfrench76
03-16-2013, 03:42 PM
It does look like Sanders is gone. I agree, go after Lloyd!

austinfrench76
03-16-2013, 03:47 PM
And IF we go after Lloyd, you have to ask yourself : would you trade Sanders for Lloyd at the vet min and a 3rd rounder??? I gotta say absolutely!

PhantomJB93
03-16-2013, 04:11 PM
And IF we go after Lloyd, you have to ask yourself : would you trade Sanders for Lloyd at the vet min and a 3rd rounder??? I gotta say absolutely!

I would, but somebody out there is going to give Lloyd way more than vet min so it's a pipe dream.

PhantomJB93
03-16-2013, 04:31 PM
"I have NOT been offered anything. Balls out of my court. All I can do is continue to grind and trust the man above. He has the plan for me..."

"I've read all your concerns and harsh words... The Pats are interested and its just that at this point."

Sanders commenting on his Facebook

Wallace17
03-16-2013, 04:37 PM
I also agree bring in Lloyd no way he would take vet min though. If we take him or not still get a third rounder use it for a WR so we don't have to pay this guy next year.

VaDave
03-16-2013, 05:03 PM
I'm pretty sure Sanders is not going to work for the league minimum either...... just saying.....

Hawaii 5-0
03-16-2013, 06:19 PM
Even If Emmanuel Sanders Stays, Wide Receiver Still A Problem Position For Steelers

Mar 15th, 2013 by Dominic Di Tolla

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/58/files/2013/03/6697252.jpg

I for one believe that Emmanuel Sanders’ recent trip to Foxborough was nothing more than an attempt by New England’s Front Office people to force Brandon Lloyd to restructure his current deal. Nevertheless, it would not shock me in the least if members of the Patriots’ brass want to sign Pittsburgh’s versatile pass-catcher. When healthy, Sanders has not only been a reliable 3rd Wide Receiver for the Steelers (2012: 44 Catches, 626 Yards, 1 TD), but has also chipped in as a Kickoff and Punt Returner for the franchise too.

Regardless of whether or not Pittsburgh’s Restricted Free Agent goes to New England though, Wide Receiver will continue to exist as a position of need for the team due to the lack of depth there.

Behind Antonio Brown, the only players currently on the Steelers’ roster with any sort of expereince are veterans Jerricho Cotchery and Plaxico Burress.

I personally have no idea how much “Plax” has left in the tank, but I will be interested to see how he performs after a full offseason of workouts and Preseason games under his belt for the first time since 2008.

While Burress (2012: 3 Catches, 42 Yards, 1 TD) is no longer the game-breaking pass-catcher he once was, his height (6’6”), and experience could still make him a valuable weapon for Big Ben to utilize in the Red Zone. I should also add that with Tight End Heath Miller still recovering from his knee injury, the Steelers will need a tall target for Roethlisberger to find while Heath is sidelined. Burress however is nearing 36 years of age and is only signed through the 2013 season. Thus, his future with the franchise beyond 2013 is murky at best.

I like Jerricho Cotchery as a run-blocker and reliable Slot Receiver (2012: 17 Catches, 205 Yards). But Jerricho will turn 32 next year, and will become an Unrestricted Free Agent to boot. The Steelers are sure to be “cap-crunched” again next offseason, and will likely try to get younger on both sides of the ball unless the Front Office continues to re-up washed-up and past-their-prime veterans like William Gay and Larry Foote. So by the time next Spring rolls around, it could be a “numbers game” for Jerricho. Like Burress, Cotchery might also be forced to leave town if he is deemed “too expensive” or “replaceable” by those running the ”rebuilding show” in Pittsburgh.

As far as any depth I did not mention, I guess I could include David Gilreath in the “WR mix” as well. Yet I highly doubt that the Steelers’ Coaching Staff would waste a roster spot on him when they already have Cotchery, and possibly even Sanders, set to play in the Slot for next year. If Gilreath is able to make the roster though, it would probably be as a Returner and Special Teams player, not a Wide Receiver.

If you have not noticed by now readers, it would be downright foolish of Colbert & Co. to ignore their team’s lack of depth at Wide Receiver. With Pittsburgh’s current issues not going away at the position, they must find a way to cover their loss of Mike Wallace, and potentially Sanders, through the Draft process.

My ultimate hope is that the Patriots will pass on Sanders, and this whole situation only began because “Grumbledore” and the rest Front Office did not want to pay Lloyd his roster bonus worth $3 million. But regardless of whether or not “Manny” takes his skill-set up to Foxborough, the exisiting depth at Wide Receiver is a major cause for concern for the Steelers.

Sadly for Big Ben and the rest of Pittsburgh’s Offense, that particular position will continue to remain an issue until it is properly addressed.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2013/03/15/wide-receiver-still-a-problem-position-for-steelers-even-if-emmanuel-sanders-stays/

lipps83
03-16-2013, 07:08 PM
Even If Emmanuel Sanders Stays, Wide Receiver Still A Problem Position For Steelershttp://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/58/files/2013/03/6697252.jpg]

I would be okay if they lose every single free agent for the next 10 years if they would get rid of those throwback's and stick with the regular tback's.

desertsteel
03-16-2013, 07:38 PM
Even If Emmanuel Sanders Stays, Wide Receiver Still A Problem Position For Steelers

Could be... But I have to tell you, they were supposed to be the NFL's best coming into last year and they flat out sucked. So saying they could be terrible doesn't mean jack. I expect them to turn it around no matter who lines up. And I easily see them taking a WR with the first pick. Teams with big needs at WR are filling them via FA and that will leave the tops ones available at #17.

austinfrench76
03-16-2013, 10:44 PM
I fully agree that #17 should be WR.

austinfrench76
03-16-2013, 11:03 PM
Someone may have posted this but is James Hensley serious???!! He is the king of over dramatizing our situation and he states in this artcile that Sanders was scheduled to replace Wallace????!??!?!?! WTF is he talking about??? What is Brown? Our #3? This guys an idiot.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth

Hawaii 5-0
03-16-2013, 11:10 PM
I fully agree that #17 should be WR.

I disagree.

I believe that #17 should be BPA, the last time we thought we absolutely had to draft a WR in the first round we ended up with Troy Edwards.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
03-16-2013, 11:35 PM
Someone may have posted this but is James Hensley serious???!! He is the king of over dramatizing our situation and he states in this artcile that Sanders was scheduled to replace Wallace????!??!?!?! WTF is he talking about??? What is Brown? Our #3? This guys an idiot.

The depth chart last year was this:

1. Wallace
2. Brown
3. Sanders

So he means that Sanders would move up a spot, therefore "replacing" Wallace. Not that controversial haha.

Bane
03-16-2013, 11:50 PM
I disagree.

I believe that #17 should be BPA, the last time we thought we absolutely had to draft a WR in the first round we ended up with Troy Edwards.

I think the BPA, at this point, will be a wide receiver. Especially if Patterson falls to us.

jb500ex
03-17-2013, 06:47 AM
Wr is a huge 1 st round bust position. I don't take a wr in the first unless he shows head and shoulders talent above everyone else. We should not draft a wr in the first this year

Rick5895
03-17-2013, 06:55 AM
I think the BPA, at this point, will be a wide receiver. Especially if Patterson falls to us.

That's possible but if BPA that falls is Jones or vaccaro then WR in second is the pick I am hopeful of a trade down to pick up an extra pick.

I like the idea 5-0 has with his mock. That would be an outstanding draft

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-17-2013, 08:42 AM

Yeah, he is terrible. If Sanders stays, then I still think we have a decent group of receivers, but nobody of decent size except Plax. Could live with Brown, Sanders, Burress, Cotchery to start and add another FA and picks to enter camp. Its not that bad as some think and its up to Ben to get them the football.

I dont see the doom as bad as I see that both of our Safety's are old and both of our OLB's pass rush abilities are in question, then our ILB position is weakened by Foote.

Lots of other more pressing issues than having Brown, Sanders., Plex and Cotchery at WR.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-17-2013, 11:30 AM
Did they sign him yet? I rather have a 3rd pick.

Hawaii 5-0
03-17-2013, 12:38 PM
Why Steelers should not panic if Emmanuel Sanders is signed by the New England Patriots

By SteelCityRoller on Mar 17 2013

Steeler Nation is still reeling from a devastating series of free-agency haymakers over the past week, and many feel they are facing a fatal blow with another player on the brink of escape. Keep calm, and Go Steelers.

The Pittsburgh Steelers need to invest in a dictionary, because on paper it seems they've forgotten the difference between the words "rebuild" and "retool"; and they apparently misunderstand the term "transition".

General manager Kevin Colbert said at his scouting combine press conference, the Steelers were not a team in transition. Several members of the organization have referred to this off-season period as a retooling, and not a total reconstruction.

So much for that theory.

In a news-wire whirlwind, the first week of free-agency tore through the Steelers roster like it was a prairie trailer park. Mike Wallace, Rashard Mendenhall and Keenan Lewis were all starters at their respective positions in 2012. They will all be starters again, but for different teams and much larger paychecks. Their exodus came just as the team's fan base had begun to deal with the loss of former defensive player of the year James Harrison, and was followed by the release of the team's starting left guard Willie Colon.

The team was already expecting to be without offensive keystone Heath Miller and defensive prodigy Sean Spence, but now players were piling out the exits, and it appeared as if the team made absolutely no effort to compete for any of their services. The closest they came to trying was requesting a 30% paycut from Harrison before cutting his pay and releasing him. The first thing anyone said to Colon, was goodbye.

We are not rebuilding, he said.

In a way, he was right. To rebuild would infer the demolition of what already was, and the construction of new and improved. Technically, the team only retooled, because they didn't replace those who left with draft picks and development projects. They signed Plaxico Burress and Larry Foote, who are both on the wrong side of 30 years. They brought back William Gay, who was allowed to leave uncontested two years ago after his performance drew mixed reviews. Other former Steelers were re-deployed as active Steelers in Matt Spaeth and David Johnson.

While the contradictory appearance of his comments make Colbert seem guilty of tooling himself, perhaps the Rosetta Stone to the team's position lied in one, single phrase.

"We are comfortable."

A perfect example is the recent Emmanuel Sanders saga. Sanders is a restricted free-agent, and has received a tender offer from the Steelers worth $1.323 million. He has the right to negotiate with other teams, while Pittsburgh maintains a right to match any offers he accepts. He made a trip to Foxboro to meet with the New England Patriots and take a physical. The Patriots released Brandon Lloyd, which has led many to believe Sanders would receive an offer from New England, to fill the opening left by Lloyd. However, according to Sanders, he received no offer before he left.

Should the Patriots offer him a contract which he agrees to, and the Steelers refuse to match; many feel his loss would be the final stake in the heart of Pittsburgh's championship aspirations for 2013. However, he is only one player at one position, and his position is not worse for his absence.

Todd Haley brought a new mindset when he joined the Steelers as their offensive coordinator. The offense would now revolve around quick throws, smart blocking and misdirection. Wallace was a perfect fit in Arians' vertical offense, which sought to push the secondary deeper pre-snap to open up space for receivers to run around until Ben Roethlisberger found one of them open. Haley instead plays it a little closer to the chest, asking his franchise quarterback to trust the plan and fire faster. Receivers get open due to sleight of hand use of motion, or using laddered routes to overload single defensive zones.

The team no longer needs pure speed to outrun defenders. It needs intelligent players, who run the routes the way they are intended, and how to get where they're supposed to be under any circumstance. Reliability is key. While Sanders would arguably be a great fit in Haley's type of scheme, the only loss by his departure is his quality character from the locker room.

Antonio Brown may be an over-achieving slot receiver, but he is a perfect fit for what Haley wants to do. Brown found himself the number of several types of screens all over the field, which allowed him to operate in space behind lead-blockers like Miller, David Paulson and Will Johnson. He also does not shy away from contact, and willingly blocks; something needed if the running game is to improve.

Jerricho Cotchery was a quality receiver before the New York Jets simply grew apart from him and terminated his contract. The Steelers called him and he's been here ever since. He openly speaks about how much he loves it here, and wants to stay here for the rest of his career. He's not as fast as Wallace, Brown or Sanders, but he's faster than Hines Ward, and he shows a similar toughness. Starting opposite of Brown would be an easy request of Cotchery, who has invaluable veteran experience, like Plaxico Burress.

To those hoping Burress will rejuvenate his career in Pittsburgh, he will be 36 years old this season. His greatest contributions will come in short-yardage, critical situations like red-zone and 3rd down offenses. With Miller expected out until mid-season, Burress provides a nice, big, wide target for Ben to find. The team has a young player under contract who matches Burress' physical stature, but with better speed, in Derek Moye, who spent the end of last season on the team's practice squad. With some development in training camp, Moye could provide a second critical target.

Slot duties would fall first to David Gilreath, who flashed potential during 2012's preseason and in spot duty during the season once receivers started missing time to injury. He was snatched away by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at one point, but was released later and quickly re-obtained by Pittsburgh. With Chris Rainey no longer on the team, Gilreath could become the team's primary kick returner to preserve Brown's health.

Perhaps Burress and/or Moye could fill in as fourth and fifth options, but the majority of the Steelers offensive sets ran with three receivers or less last year. A draft pick has the luxury of falling in as the fourth receiver, giving the team the luxury of waiting for the right player. They could even honestly wait until 2014 to take one, although receivers are a dime a dozen. The team could take one late as a project, or find a diamond in the rough in the undrafted pool.

Unlike most positional groups on the roster, the receiving corps - even without Wallace and Sanders - has more veteran experience than most other groups. Three have been starters in the NFL, and welcome the opportunity to do so again.

Perhaps Colbert wasn't spinning the truth. Maybe the team really is comfortable with what they have. Should Sanders agree to an offer from the Patriots, the Steelers would receive their third round pick as compensation. This would give the team four picks in the first three rounds, providing the team plenty of opportunity to find one early if they deem any worthy.

Sanders will be missed, but his absence is not going to be the straw to break the camel's back.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/3/17/4113976/steelers-free-agency-emmanuel-sanders-RFA-offer-Patriots-no-panic/in/3614167

fansince'76
03-17-2013, 12:48 PM

You have to realize that Hensley's a slobbering Ravens homer with zero objectivity and thus has no business doing that blog for ESPN (they desperately need to have James Walker covering the AFC North again) . Funny how he continues to engage in schadenfreude over the Steelers' offseason while conveniently continuing to ignore the fire sale going on in Baltimore.

Fire Haley
03-17-2013, 01:09 PM
Did they sign him yet?

no, Free Agent Frenzy is over

call back in a week

desertsteel
03-17-2013, 04:08 PM
I disagree.

Man that's ancient history. Plus, I'm pretty sure that we took Plax in R1, 8th overall if memory serves correct. We've had plenty of busts at other positions too.

OX1947
03-17-2013, 04:51 PM
Man that's ancient history. Plus, I'm pretty sure that we took Plax in R1, 8th overall if memory serves correct. We've had plenty of busts at other positions too.

Steelers always draft need in 1st round. It just so happens that they need i every position this year.

Hawaii 5-0
03-17-2013, 05:16 PM

you missed my point.

what I'm saying is we can't just say we absolutely have to draft a WR and completely disregard which players at other positions may still be available at 1(17).

bornaSteelersfan
03-18-2013, 01:19 AM
I wouldn't be the least bit upset if we let Sanders go. "The Young Money Crew" needs to be completely disassembled. Todd Haley needs talent and new blood in receivers. There won't be any more audibles of a play that they learned during Arians days with new receivers. I can see us picking Tavon Austin in the first round to give Ben a new weapon that fits perfectly into what Haley is trying to do. With Rainey now gone and Sanders possibly going, we need a good return man as well.

ricardisimo
03-19-2013, 07:01 AM
I disagree.

I'm not sure how you formulated this. Who's the "we"? Is it you and I, or Bill Cowher? We've drafted two wide receivers in the first round since Troy. Pretty good ones. And as far as 1999, It was an awful year for almost everyone, but I'm pretty sure that if Champ Bailey had still been there we would have taken him.

wwhickok
03-19-2013, 08:06 AM
Steelers always draft need in 1st round. It just so happens that they need i every position this year.

Not remotely true. They draft BPA. if it also fills a need thats a huge bonus. Drafting based soley on need is why teams like the Jags always pick top 5.

steeltheone
03-19-2013, 12:39 PM
Not remotely true. They draft BPA. if it also fills a need thats a huge bonus. Drafting based soley on need is why teams like the Jags always pick top 5.

Unlike past years..the best player available is probably a need for this team.

BlaZeQuietly
03-19-2013, 02:51 PM
I would rather have sanders than a 3rs round pick, he just needs to learn how to hold on the the ball and he would probably settle in as #1 or #2 receiver in a couple years (probably 2) We got rid of the poison which was wallace, rest of young money can stay. I'd be thrilled if we kept sanders. That means brown, sanders and an option for plax and cotch, not bad at all. Now all we need is a good tight end, things are shaping up.

FrancoLambert
03-19-2013, 04:17 PM
Unlike past years..the best player available is probably a need for this team.

Right on. :hatsoff:
We have so many needs Colbert's got to go BPA at each and every pick.

kent
03-19-2013, 07:11 PM
May have already been said but what about picking up Brandon Lloyd if Sanders ends up going to the Patriots. IMO he is better than Sanders and we would also get the 3rd round pick. Brown, Lloyd, Burress, and Cotch would be a pretty good wr corps.

ETL
03-20-2013, 12:16 AM
i don't think the steelers would allow Sanders to leave - they will match what the Pats offer (if they offer anything at all)

OX1947
03-20-2013, 12:49 AM
i don't think the steelers would allow Sanders to leave - they will match what the Pats offer (if they offer anything at all)

hahahahhaha, that Haley pic you have gets me everytime. HAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA, I dont know why, I cant stop laughing HAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHA

Penn
03-20-2013, 05:59 PM
Anyone have a timeline of events or what is going on with Manny? I know all out WRs had down years last season but if we lose him we will be hurting at receiver. Brown, Cotchery and Plax is not what i envisioned going into 2013

bl4ckng0ld
03-20-2013, 06:06 PM
Nothing has happened. He doesn't have any offers. He has one month to get an offer or stick with us.

steeltheone
03-20-2013, 06:53 PM
I would rather have sanders than a 3rs round pick, he just needs to learn how to hold on the the ball and he would probably settle in as #1 or #2 receiver in a couple years (probably 2) We got rid of the poison which was wallace, rest of young money can stay. I'd be thrilled if we kept sanders. That means brown, sanders and an option for plax and cotch, not bad at all. Now all we need is a good tight end, things are shaping up.

He is heading on his 4th year in the league. He needs to get his act together soon.

SteelersCanada
03-25-2013, 07:07 PM
Pats bide their time with Emmanuel Sanders

Posted by Mike Florio

Not long after free agency launched, the Patriots brought in receiver Emmanuel Sanders for a visit. When an offer sheet wasn’t quickly signed, many assumed that it wouldn’t be.

But there’s no hurry, yet. As Field Yates of ESPNBoston.com explains it, the Pats (and every other team) have until April 19 to sign any restricted free agent to an offer sheet. The player’s current team then would have five days (down from seven under past labor deals) to match.

In Sanders’ case, the Patriots would have to give up a third-round pick if the Steelers won’t or can’t match. Yates surmises that the Patriots may be waiting for the Steelers to make another move or two, which could make it harder to match a frontloaded offer. Delay, however, gives the Steelers more time to get their salary-cap ducks in a row, plotting moves that would be made if they suddenly have 120 hours to clear enough cap space to keep Sanders.

Few teams sign restricted free agents to offer sheets. Some think it makes no sense to negotiate a contract that the player’s current team will simply match. Others believe teams don’t want to part with draft picks. Some (OK, me and possibly no one else) suspect that teams are subtly colluding when it comes to restricted free agents.

Regardless, more than three weeks remain before this year’s RFA market officially closes. Even if it never actually opens.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/25/pats-bide-their-time-with-emmanuel-sanders/

Hawaii 5-0
03-26-2013, 03:41 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers Wide Reciever Emmanuel Sanders Likely to Stay

6 hours ago by Curt Popejoy

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/files/2013/03/Emmanuel-Sanders.jpg

A week ago, it looked a little like the Pittsburgh Steelers were going to be very short-handed at wide receiver. They had given wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders a tender offer as a restricted free agent, which would allow the Steelers to retain him next season while they worked out a long-term contract extension. The offer would pay Sanders $1.23 million for 2013, a considerable raise over the $490,000 he was paid in 2012.

The way restricted free agency works, if another team would chose to sign Sanders to a contract, the Steelers would have a week to match it. If the Steelers chose not to, the team that signed him would give the Steelers their third round pick. A week ago, it sounded like the New England Patriots were the team to make that offer and their salary cap would allow them to make Sanders an offer the Steelers could not match.

But this week, it is being reported that the Patriots interest in Sanders has wavered and the team is instead pursuing Darrius Heyward Bey. This is excellent news for the Steelers, because it would have left a significant hole in the starting lineup if Sanders had left. This would be on the heels of losing wide receiver Mike Wallace as well, leaving only Antonio Brown on the team with any significant playing time.

Instead, the Steelers look to be able to retain Sanders and not be forced into a position to draft a wide receiver early, and they can instead focus on other areas in the 2013 NFL draft. This is great news for the Steelers and their fans, and gives optimism for the passing offense going forward.

at http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/03/26/pittsburgh-steelers-wide-reciever-emmanuel-sanders-likely-to-stay/?qv73s1X5ZZX3zkCy.99

Buddha Bus
03-26-2013, 05:15 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers Wide Reciever Emmanuel Sanders Likely to Stay

6 hours ago by Curt Popejoy

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/files/2013/03/Emmanuel-Sanders.jpg

A week ago, it looked a little like the Pittsburgh Steelers were going to be very short-handed at wide receiver. They had given wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders a tender offer as a restricted free agent, which would allow the Steelers to retain him next season while they worked out a long-term contract extension. The offer would pay Sanders $1.23 million for 2013, a considerable raise over the $490,000 he was paid in 2012.

The way restricted free agency works, if another team would chose to sign Sanders to a contract, the Steelers would have a week to match it. If the Steelers chose not to, the team that signed him would give the Steelers their third round pick. A week ago, it sounded like the New England Patriots were the team to make that offer and their salary cap would allow them to make Sanders an offer the Steelers could not match.

But this week, it is being reported that the Patriots interest in Sanders has wavered and the team is instead pursuing Darrius Heyward Bey. This is excellent news for the Steelers, because it would have left a significant hole in the starting lineup if Sanders had left. This would be on the heels of losing wide receiver Mike Wallace as well, leaving only Antonio Brown on the team with any significant playing time.

Instead, the Steelers look to be able to retain Sanders and not be forced into a position to draft a wide receiver early, and they can instead focus on other areas in the 2013 NFL draft. This is great news for the Steelers and their fans, and gives optimism for the passing offense going forward.

at http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/03/26/pittsburgh-steelers-wide-reciever-emmanuel-sanders-likely-to-stay/?qv73s1X5ZZX3zkCy.99

Now if the Steelers would have just swallowed their pride and re-signed Harrison, that would have been 2 holes filled and more flexibility in the draft. :banging:

Good to hear we may retain Sanders though. I think he can shake of the case of the Sweeds he had last year and be productive.

SteelersCanada
03-26-2013, 05:49 PM
Now if the Steelers would have just swallowed their pride and re-signed Harrison, that would have been 2 holes filled and more flexibility in the draft. :banging:

Good to hear we may retain Sanders though. I think he can shake of the case of the Sweeds he had last year and be productive.

Disagree on Harrison. We have to look for an OLB at some point as this is Worilds' contract year and he was 35.

austinfrench76
03-26-2013, 09:33 PM
The problem with Sanders is that he will be in a Wallace situation (albeit a much lower level and not as pursued) free agent. We will have him for one year. We need to start locking people up earlier!

kan_t
03-26-2013, 09:38 PM

It has little to do with pride. They probably want to spend those $2M on a RB like Ahmad Bradshaw. That would still have been 2 holes filled before the draft.

Back to Sanders, I believe not until the Pats have signed Darrius Heyward Bey.

Riddle_Of_Steel
03-27-2013, 12:47 AM
I have come to the conclusion:

GoFor7 = DOWN BY LAW

(for those of you who remember him before he was shown the door)

Same narcissitic personality, same tendency to argue everything under the sun ad nauseum like he is in a courtroom, and same tendency to keep posting the same erroneous crap, no matter how many times you correct and prove him wrong.

Riddle_Of_Steel
03-27-2013, 12:49 AM
Sanders has not broken out or produced like we have been hoping. I would be happy with the 3rd round pick-- considering all we got for Santonio Holmes was a lousy 5th round pick in return for a valid #1 WR.

Sanders' productivity is NOT irreplaceable.

Riddle_Of_Steel
03-27-2013, 12:53 AM
Disagree on Harrison. We have to look for an OLB at some point as this is Worilds' contract year and he was 35.

Exactly. And due to early injuries, we have never really seen what Worilds can bring to the table. He looked absolutely dominating this last year backing up Woodley and Harrison both. He had as many sacks and only played in 3 games.

Dude has the size, build, speed, and now the experience. His time to shine. Harrison had his.

Hawaii 5-0
03-29-2013, 03:10 PM
this signing may make it less likely that the Patriots* sign Sanders to an offer sheet...

Patriots sign free agent WR Michael Jenkins

http://www.patriots.com/assets/images/2013/500x305-thumbnails/500x305-20130328-jenkins-release.jpg

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – The New England Patriots announced that they have signed free agent wide receiver Michael Jenkins. Terms of the contract were not announced.

Jenkins, 30, is a veteran of nine NFL seasons with the Atlanta Falcons (2004-10) and Minnesota Vikings (2011-12). The 6-foot-4, 214-pounder, originally entered the NFL as a first-round draft choice (No. 29 overall) by the Falcons out of Ohio State in 2004. He was released by Atlanta on July 29, 2011, and signed by Minnesota on July 30. After two seasons with the Vikings, Jenkins was released March 5, 2013.

Jenkins has played in 130 NFL games with 79 starts and has 354 receptions for 4,427 yards and 25 touchdowns. Last season, he played in 16 games with eight starts and finished with 40 receptions for 447 yards and two touchdowns. Jenkins set career-highs with Atlanta by compiling 53 receptions in 2007, 777 receiving yards in 2008 and seven touchdown receptions in 2006.

http://www.patriots.com/news/article-1/Patriots-sign-free-agent-WR-Michael-Jenkins/90da0e61-0ef3-4d50-984f-60ebd0efa621

austinfrench76
03-30-2013, 04:15 PM
I agree that I don't think NE signs Sanders now so we get stuck with him. No 3rd rounder and he walks at the end of the season. I say this with the caveat that I like him but not just for 1 year. I don't know how that helps us. We still need to draft a WR. that was my problem with Wallace. Having him, knowing it's a 1 year lease, is just a tease. If he performs, damn it! If he doesn't, damn him!

SteelersCanada
03-30-2013, 04:22 PM
The Patriots signed 8 receivers last year in the offseason and we're all just concluding because they signed a no-name to compete in training camp they're no longer interested in Emmanuel? Why? They have three active receivers on their roster right now with cap space to burn. If they want Sanders they still have the room and resources to get him.

This thing isn't over yet.

PatsFan2003
04-01-2013, 02:57 PM
Jenkins seem like just another guy. I think the Pats are interested in Sanders but are biding their time so the Steelers can't match. I don't think they want to give up more then the 3rd.