PDA

View Full Version : Restructure Contacts Ahead of Time

bl4ckng0ld
03-15-2013, 02:18 PM
What are the chances the organization starts to address these issues before it gets to crunch time? I know this is all speculation, but I am already thinking ahead. With all the losses this year (some necessary), I really don't want to lose some key players a year from now. What do you anticipate will happen with these players:

Contracts that expire next year:
Ryan Clark - Just had an amazing season, will be 34 at end of next season
Ziggy Hood - Still has some things to prove, but had a couple great games at the end of the season and has shown flashes of good things to come
Brett Keisel - IMO our best lineman, but will be 35 at end of the season, will probably retire
Jerricho Cotchery - Adds some good veteran experience at the position, will be 31 at end of next season
Worilds - Has this year to be the starter and prove himself
David Gilreath - Dime a dozen, will be RFA
Plaxico - Will probably retire
Dwyer - Has this year to prove himself
Ta'amu - Needs to prove a lot this year

Another item to look at is Troy is set to receive $8.25 million in 2014. If he has another lack luster season, who knows what will happen.

Just some discussion points to talk about. I'm new here, hello everyone. :tt04:

harrison'samonster
03-15-2013, 02:29 PM
Welcome to the board!

Ryan Clark - I would have to believe this is his last year
Ziggy Hood - I think Hood continues to improve and becomes a solid player
Brett Keisel - again I see this as his last year
Jerricho Cotchery - possible this is either his or Burress last year
David Gilreath - he'll get as good a shot as possible this summer and preseason
Plaxico - Depends how he does this year, but I'm thinking he'll be gone after this season
Dwyer - the team seems high on Dwyer, and I'd like to see what he can do with better conditioning and better blocking
Ta'amu - have they resigned him? they got rid of him at one point

I think restructuring is a last option, that's why they don't do it ahead of time. Thanks for the post.

bl4ckng0ld
03-15-2013, 02:35 PM
Looking at next year compared to this year, I guess the situation doesn't look as dire. Losing Clark would probably suck the most.

TRH
03-15-2013, 02:58 PM
What are the chances the organization starts to address these issues before it gets to crunch time? I know this is all speculation, but I am already thinking ahead. With all the losses this year (some necessary), I really don't want to lose some key players a year from now. What do you anticipate will happen with these players:

Ziggy Hood - Still has some things to prove, but had a couple great games at the end of the season and has shown flashes of good things to come
Brett Keisel - IMO our best lineman, but will be 35 at end of the season, will probably retire
Jerricho Cotchery - Adds some good veteran experience at the position, will be 31 at end of next season

Another item to look at is Troy is set to receive $8.25 million in 2014. If he has another lack luster season, who knows what will happen.

Ta'amu? What the F is that guy even doing around these parts for? He shouldnt (and probably won't even be in a discussion of any kind).
If Troy has another lackluster year this year - he'll be shown the door next off-season - that will likely be at 100% likely.

pete74
03-15-2013, 03:45 PM
Ta'amu? What the F is that guy even doing around these parts for? He shouldnt (and probably won't even be in a discussion of any kind).
If Troy has another lackluster year this year - he'll be shown the door next off-season - that will likely be at 100% likely.

I love Troy but he would of either taken a pay cut this year or would of been gone. We looked really good when he was hurt once Allen took Mundy's spot. Anyway since that didn't happen this would be Troy's last shot. He makes way to much money to play 6 games then miss 6 and play the rest injured

Justp94
03-15-2013, 05:18 PM

You're talking about more than restructures, you're talking about possible extensions for players before the end of this off-season (which won't happen), and the possibility of the players you listed of returning to the Steelers. Here's my opinions:

The Key Players:
Ziggy Hood: Unless he shows this season that he was worth that 1st round pick we wasted (so far) on him a few years ago, it's in our best interest to let him walk. 1st Round picks that don't perform at expected levels after a maximum 5 years should always be released or re-signed as a starter or back-up for a salary the team values him at, aka low price.
Ryan Clark: If he continues to play at the high level has been on the Steelers it would probably tempt the Steelers to give him a 2-year contract for a reasonable deal, as well as drafting a Safety in the 2014 draft, if we don't plan on draft Two safeties in this years draft.

Not particularly sure:
Jerricho Cotchery: Depending on how our WR corps looks at the end of this off-season will have a huge impact on whether we re-sign him next year. With the possibility that Emmanuel Sanders could sign to the Patriots for their 3rd round pick will make our WR corps in poor condition, but the draft and/or a smart/cheap free agent acquisition could impact Cotchery's value negatively or positively.
Jason Worilds: If the Steelers were like normal NFL franchises and had their Top draft picks be starters, this prediction would be easier to make. As of now Worilds is the starter, after the NFL Draft things may change, but that HUGE potential decision of the Steelers not starting their draft picks needs to end, sooner than later.
Alameda Ta’amu: He has talent, but unless he wows the Steelers this year by possibly overtaking the NT job from McClendon (unlikely) or is deemed suitable for back up NT behind McClendon (possible), he most likely will be let go.

Players the Steelers will likely let walk:
Brett Keisel: Age and injuries, seems like enough for me.
David Gilreath: RFA, I doubt anyone will try to take him from us, so we probs won't sign the RFA tender.
Plaxico Burress: Unless he has a huge season out of no where, like 800+ receiving yards good, that proves he can add value like a Randy Moss, he's most likely going to retire after this season.
Jonathan Dwyer: I don't see him becoming a starting RB in the NFL, ever. And compared to Issac Redman, he's not a 3rd down, pass-play type of RB.

bornaSteelersfan
03-15-2013, 05:22 PM
I think the biggest question mark that hasn't been introduced in this thread yet is Woodley. His cap hit is ridiculous! He better get in shape quickly or I think that he will be released at the end of this next season.

Justp94
03-15-2013, 05:24 PM

They signed him back and he's going to be competing for a roster spot this upcoming season, he has talent, that's for sure. If he proves he can be of use to the Steelers either as a back up NT to McClendon or ultimately outplaying McClendon, they'd definitely consider re-signing him to a longer deal.

P.S. Everyone makes mistakes in their lives, he's still young and I'm pretty damn sure he's thankful for the Steelers giving him another chance to prove why they drafted him in the first place, for his football abilities.

Justp94
03-15-2013, 05:30 PM
I think the biggest question mark that hasn't been introduced in this thread yet is Woodley. His cap hit is ridiculous! He better get in shape quickly or I think that he will be released at the end of this next season.

He NEEDS to have a comeback year this year, aka 12+ sacks, a lot more QB pressure in general, and he needs to stay healthy. If he doesn't have a good year, the Steelers WILL tell him he needs to take a pay cut to stay with the team. The thing is, if Woodley doesn't go back to being healthy and the solid pass rusher he once was, then the Steelers are going to have to get an solid OLB in free agency/nfl draft, most likely again to fill a huge gap.

austinfrench76
03-16-2013, 10:32 PM
Great post! I just saw this and was asking this in another thread. Wtf?? This is getting to be too much.

austinfrench76
03-16-2013, 10:32 PM
And it seems very un-Steeler like. Like their FO has no clue that we are going to need to do it at some point.

austinfrench76
03-16-2013, 10:37 PM
Sorry for the double post but also, making thise cuts when needed has to happen faster. Just wanted to add that.