PDA

View Full Version : Is Sean Spence done or will he be back next year?

Hawaii 5-0
03-15-2013, 02:22 PM
by Gerry Dulac
March 15, 2013

Question from my chat: Is Sean Spence done or will he be back next year?

My answer...

Let me start by saying the Steelers don't know if he will ever be able to play again. The peroneal nerve behind his knee was damaged, in addition to multiple ligament tears and a dislocated knee, and if that nerve doesn't regenerate he will never play again. The same injury ended Elnardo Webster's career after three games as a rookie in 1992.

Now, if and when the nerve regenerates, then the Steelers can determine when he might be able to play. Right now, it does not appear he will play in 2013. Too bad, too. He's a good kid and a nice player -- a perfect fit for the way the Steelers like to employ their ILBs.

http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh/f/c742d9d3-d4a8-4828-9f2a-362aff424622/?source=twitter

SteelersCanada
03-15-2013, 02:24 PM
That sucks for Spence.

This is going to sound a little cruel, but that sucks for us too. We have to draft another Linebacker now to replace Foote. I mean, I hope he's ok and off the field but as a fan, this sucks for our depth chart.

Soberdisposition
03-15-2013, 02:25 PM
Sad news if so.

jacobo
03-15-2013, 02:31 PM
That's sad. Hopefully he invested what money he made well. Hope he's able to come back.

Fire Haley
03-15-2013, 02:32 PM
done

now we get to worry about Heath

harrison'samonster
03-15-2013, 02:35 PM
I'm pulling for him! He might not play in 2013 but I hope he keeps working hard.

TRH
03-15-2013, 02:43 PM
I'm pulling for him too - but we have to stop drafting "small" players. Both Spence and Rainey were well below average size and they both got CRUSHED on the field last year.

GMU Steeler
03-15-2013, 02:44 PM
It's such a shame. LeBeau and the coaches were raving about him in camp. Looked to be the next great Steeler linebacker and then the poor guy gets hurt like that. It's just not fair sometimes. Hope Spence can make a recovery but we are going to need an ILB in the draft. Would love it if he can make a full recovery and show what he can do.

Steelers>NFL
03-15-2013, 02:53 PM
Sad news indeed. Poor kid prolly played football all his life. Get drafted. Maybe only need to play 5-10 years and could be set for life financially (assuming he would be smart w/$). Only to see it all may be gone!
Hope he heals completely and comes back a better/stronger player/person.

TheVet
03-15-2013, 03:11 PM
The whole situation with Spence is so very sad - such a tough break for this young man, and for our team. Well, never say never. Prayers for a recovery!

EbonySteel86
03-15-2013, 09:40 PM
Between the releases and the injuries, it's going to be a challenge to fill the roster.

austinfrench76
03-15-2013, 10:05 PM
I hope so. Looked like he haad alot of potential.

ricardisimo
03-16-2013, 09:41 AM
Explains why Foote got a multi-year extension.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-16-2013, 09:55 AM
Explains why Foote got a multi-year extension.

Still doesnt make sense to me. I still think they could have offered a veteran LB a similar deal and gotten a better ILB than Larry Foote.

Sad to hear that Spence was hurt so bad and still has such issues. I think if the peroneal nerve is damaged you cant even really walk correctly, as you dont feel when you foot hits the ground. :doh:

Terminator
03-16-2013, 10:11 AM
Why would we let a player just sit on our roster for 2 years that can't play?

Are we not able to release him per league rules or something?

The_Joker
03-16-2013, 10:21 AM
I fucking hope so!

SteelersCanada
04-08-2013, 01:03 PM
Antonio Brown ‏@AntonioBrown84 3h

“@3Spence1: Cold tub with @AntonioBrown84 and @D_vandyke8 burrrr pic.twitter.com/wWTuF5Cfcj” #fb

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BHWKdSoCYAA0v85.jpg:small

fer522
04-08-2013, 05:53 PM
Antonio Brown ‏@AntonioBrown84 3h

“@3Spence1: Cold tub with @AntonioBrown84 and @D_vandyke8 burrrr pic.twitter.com/wWTuF5Cfcj” #fb

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BHWKdSoCYAA0v85.jpg:small

What the fuck does that mean?:doh:

VaDave
04-08-2013, 05:56 PM
I hope he can come back. There's always hope. If Blier can come back from getting his foot shot off, I suppose Spence can too, but from the reports, it isn't looking any too good.

SteelersCanada
04-08-2013, 06:43 PM
What the fuck does that mean?:doh:

They go into ice tubs after they're done working out. I assume that Spence was in there because he was working out? I'm not sure, though.

harrison'samonster
04-08-2013, 06:57 PM
Why would we let a player just sit on our roster for 2 years that can't play?

Are we not able to release him per league rules or something?

there might be something in his contract, there might be some league rule due to labor contracts. Basically when a worker is injured due to work injuries, the employer is expected to take care of you. This isn't an injury that keeps coming back every time he steps onto a field, it's one injury he suffered while playing and he's trying to rehab it.

Possibly this might have something to do with honoring a contract in the hope that Spence will produce for this team. If it becomes evident that he won't be able to play, he'll be gone.

VaDave
04-08-2013, 09:55 PM
Harry,

When you get a guy that is totally messed up and it looks like their playing days are over, most of the time, they negotiate what is called an injury settlement.

OX1947
04-08-2013, 10:01 PM
Harry,

When you get a guy that is totally messed up and it looks like their playing days are over, most of the time, they negotiate what is called an injury settlement.

And then they lock him out of the facility like he is homeless guy looking for shelter.

tanda10506
04-08-2013, 10:06 PM
Poor guy, I hope he can make a full recovery, but I think the odds of him playing again are low based off of this. When will the bullshit ever end? Every time we get a few weeks without losing key players in FA or injury something else pops up. I don't want to sound selfish because it is a man's career we are talking about, but what's left of this left of this past draft which we all thought would be legendary.

harrison'samonster
04-08-2013, 10:12 PM
true, if he doesn't recover I wish him the best!

This past draft did look really good, and this just shows that there is no sure thing.

VaDave
04-08-2013, 10:40 PM
And then they lock him out of the facility like he is homeless guy looking for shelter.

True story.... I wonder what his college transcript is looking like????

FrancoLambert
04-09-2013, 04:46 PM
True story.... I wonder what his college transcript is looking like????

Let's hope it's not: Traffic Management Design aka Trucks and Buses
Treatment of Minor Sports Injuries aka Bumps and Bruises

pczach
04-09-2013, 08:11 PM
That sucks for this kid. I hope he can recover and continue his career.

As for signing Foote, it makes perfect sense. Keep a veteran guy that knows the system and can explain it from a player's standpoint to the incoming linebackers that surely will be joining the team this year. Sort of a player/coach on the field type thing.

SteelersCanada
05-29-2013, 01:10 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23Steelers">#Steelers</a> LB Sean Spence told @<a href="https://twitter.com/dalegrd">dalegrd</a> (among others) today that he expects to play in 2013 and busted left knee is on the way back.</p>&mdash; Will Graves (@WillGravesAP) <a href="https://twitter.com/WillGravesAP/status/339800766619451392">May 29, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

teegre
05-29-2013, 01:14 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23Steelers">#Steelers</a> LB Sean Spence told @<a href="https://twitter.com/dalegrd">dalegrd</a> (among others) today that he expects to play in 2013 and busted left knee is on the way back.</p>&mdash; Will Graves (@WillGravesAP) <a href="https://twitter.com/WillGravesAP/status/339800766619451392">May 29, 2013</a></blockquote>

That'd be great...

SteelersCanada
05-29-2013, 01:18 PM
That'd be great...

I mean, grain of salt. I'm sure he hopes he'll be back, but whether or not we actually have him back is a whole other story.

I hope he's right! Having too many young ILBs to play with Timmons is a problem I'd love to have right now.

Vis
05-29-2013, 01:21 PM
That'd be great...

depends on whether team can afford to carry him on the roster given the uncertainty. He's not a proven star. Even if he could come back the last 5 games or so, would he be able co contribute? doubtful. I expect him to be on the IR and not be the guy they can bring off the IR.

Steelstoned1972
05-29-2013, 03:31 PM
Spence thinks he will play this year ! lets hope . link here

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9322728/sean-spence-pittsburgh-steelers-expects-play-2013

teegre
05-29-2013, 03:34 PM
I really liked Spence coming out of college. I had predicted him as a R3 pick... and voila! I got my wish.

I think that HE believes that he can play in 2013. I think that the STEELERS will place him on IR, and let him rehab in 2013 (& hopefully, he will be good to go in 2014).

Honestly, I think that his career is over. BUT, I'm wishing otherwise...

43Hitman
05-30-2013, 08:47 AM
I'm going to stay optimistic for Spence and Karma reasons. I believe that if he thinks he's coming back, then he will. Never underestimate the power of the human spirit.

ebsteelers
05-30-2013, 09:28 AM
I know he wants to play in 2013, but at this point shooting to be at camp in 2014 seems to be a safer strategy for a long term career if at all

43Hitman
05-30-2013, 02:19 PM
I know he wants to play in 2013, but at this point shooting to be at camp in 2014 seems to be a safer strategy for a long term career if at all

yeah that's certainly more realistic, and probably better for him long term, but I really like his optimism. :drink:

Hawaii 5-0
05-30-2013, 03:48 PM
It's hard not to root for Steelers LB Sean Spence

By Dale Grdnic on May 30 2013

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/13883549/20120822_ter_al8_097.0_standard_500.0.jpg

Steelers LB Sean Spence worked hard throughout his life to earn a spot in the NFL. That spot was taken away from him in just a brief moment. He's working his way back, and that, in itself, is worthy of praise.

PITTSBURGH -- A former Steelers executive once said, when asked if the team would bring back a certain player, that they weren't the Salvation Army.

I recalled this comment Wednesday while talking with Sean Spence, the second-year player who spent the entire 2012 season on injured reserve after suffering a severe knee injury during the final preseason game.

It's not like Spence was a returning All-Pro player or even a first-round pick like fellow 2012 rookie David DeCastro, who benefitted from a new rule last year that allowed him to be placed on the active roster after being on injured reserve for an extended period with a knee injury. DeCastro was activated in late November and played in the final four games with three starts. Previously, players on injured reserve could not return during the season.

Spence, who suffered his knee injury one week after DeCastro, was not close to returning at any point last season and isn't likely to be ready any time soon. However, it's difficult not to believe Spence, who said Wednesday that he would return at some point this season.

It's easy to root for him as well.

How could you not get behind a guy like Spence? He worked hard to attain a goal, getting drafted by an NFL team, only to see it all taken away in just a few seconds. The Steelers have given that opportunity back to him, but he'll have to earn the right to retain it. To this point, Spence has put in the time, and the Steelers have noticed. They are clearly rooting for him, too.

By all accounts, Spence is a good guy. He has to be, or the Steelers wouldn't be hanging with him. Whether he's correct or linebackers coach Keith Butler is right, that Spence will be "carried by the team this season,'' he'll be given every opportunity to get healthy and play football.

I wouldn't bet against Spence. Looking into his eyes Wednesday, one could see his determination and hear the conviction in his words. Spence also noted he had faith that things would work out for the best for him. That certainly couldn't hurt his chances, either. Mostly, though, he's put in the physical work necessary to succeed. The odds certainly aren't in his favor, but Spence already has beaten the odds to this point, as he also stated.

With all the negativity surrounding sports today, it was refreshing to talk to a guy like Spence, a straight-shooter who talked candidly about his injury and his chances to return. Like I've said before, I wouldn't bet against him. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he played this season a lot earlier than most believe possible. That certainly is not out of the question.

At 5-foot-11 and 231 pounds, Spence is lean and built for speed. Since his workouts have been with the training staff and not open to the media, it's difficult to know if he's able to cut loose while running or if the speed and agility he possessed prior to being drafted will return.

It's going to be interesting to monitor Spence's progress this season and await his return. What an amazing day that will be.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/5/30/4379172/steelers-sean-spence-injury-comeback-2013

FrancoLambert
05-30-2013, 04:22 PM

When the orthopedist who performed surgery on him and is monitoring his progress comes out with such a statement, I might start to believe it.

Millers the sh!t
05-30-2013, 05:59 PM
Last I read the nerve was healing slow and he wasn't expecting to be on the field anytime soon.

Terminator
05-31-2013, 05:44 AM
His peroneal nerve was completely shot. How could he be working out already?

43Hitman
05-31-2013, 07:03 AM

Probably the same way Suggs came back so soon after an Achilles tear. I think we are all fooling ourselves if we don't believe that most of these guys are using HGH to recover from these injuries.

Vis
05-31-2013, 07:18 AM
In recent years, there has been an explosion of interest in biologics. (The list of people who have also experimented with Regenokine reportedly includes Fred Couples, superagent Ari Emanuel, and the late Pope John Paul II.) Those willing to pay out of pocket can now treat their ailing joints with everything from platelet rich plasma (PRP) therapy, in which blood is spun until it contains a high concentration of healing platelets, to concentrated bone marrow injections, dense with stem cells. What all of these biologics have in common is the same appealing logic: Instead of cutting with a scalpel, or administering a synthetic drug — these treatments have long recovery times and nasty side effects — the healing mechanisms of the flesh should be put to work. The body heals best when it heals itself.

Consider the Regenokine approach, a patented method developed by Dr. Peter Wehling, a spinal surgeon in Düsseldorf, Germany. The procedure begins with the removal of a small cup of blood from a patient, which is then incubated at a slightly elevated temperature. (The goal is to give the blood a fever.) The liquid is then spun in a centrifuge until it's separated into its constituent parts. The heavy red blood cells accumulate in the bottom layer, a layer of crimson crud at the bottom of the plastic tube. The relevant fluid is the middle yellowish layer — it looks like viscous urine — which is dense with agents that, at least in theory, can accelerate the natural healing mechanisms of the body. "The inflammatory response is normally part of the recovery process," says Chris Renna, one of the only American doctors administering Regenokine. "But sometimes the body can't turn the inflammation off, and that's when you get chronic pain and arthritic degeneration. The goal of Regenokine is to stop that response so your body can begin getting better."

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7796225/kobe-bryant-dr-chris-renna-regenokine-knee-treatment

43Hitman
05-31-2013, 07:41 AM
In recent years, there has been an explosion of interest in biologics. (The list of people who have also experimented with Regenokine reportedly includes Fred Couples, superagent Ari Emanuel, and the late Pope John Paul II.) Those willing to pay out of pocket can now treat their ailing joints with everything from platelet rich plasma (PRP) therapy, in which blood is spun until it contains a high concentration of healing platelets, to concentrated bone marrow injections, dense with stem cells. What all of these biologics have in common is the same appealing logic: Instead of cutting with a scalpel, or administering a synthetic drug — these treatments have long recovery times and nasty side effects — the healing mechanisms of the flesh should be put to work. The body heals best when it heals itself.

Consider the Regenokine approach, a patented method developed by Dr. Peter Wehling, a spinal surgeon in Düsseldorf, Germany. The procedure begins with the removal of a small cup of blood from a patient, which is then incubated at a slightly elevated temperature. (The goal is to give the blood a fever.) The liquid is then spun in a centrifuge until it's separated into its constituent parts. The heavy red blood cells accumulate in the bottom layer, a layer of crimson crud at the bottom of the plastic tube. The relevant fluid is the middle yellowish layer — it looks like viscous urine — which is dense with agents that, at least in theory, can accelerate the natural healing mechanisms of the body. "The inflammatory response is normally part of the recovery process," says Chris Renna, one of the only American doctors administering Regenokine. "But sometimes the body can't turn the inflammation off, and that's when you get chronic pain and arthritic degeneration. The goal of Regenokine is to stop that response so your body can begin getting better."

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7796225/kobe-bryant-dr-chris-renna-regenokine-knee-treatment

Very interesting read. Perhaps that PRP procedure can be used on my tennis elbow, I sure would like to play a round of golf again sometime this summer.

Terminator
05-31-2013, 12:26 PM
Probably the same way Suggs came back so soon after an Achilles tear. I think we are all fooling ourselves if we don't believe that most of these guys are using HGH to recover from these injuries.

Oh no doubt, and I have no problems with that, to be honest. I just wouldn't think HGH would repair a degenerated nerve.

Steeldude
05-31-2013, 12:56 PM
This is why these young people should get their degrees too.

pczach
05-31-2013, 01:44 PM
Steroids and HGH are taboo now, but I believe down the road they will be used by nearly everyone. When administered in the right dosage and in the hands of physicians, these are wonder drugs. I believe these will and should go mainstream eventually. These can improve quality of life and help lengthen lifespan if used properly. There are many things in the system right now that go beyond HGH in there ability to help the body heal itself, as the article posted by Vis talks about.

ebsteelers
05-31-2013, 01:50 PM
Steroids and HGH are taboo now, but I believe down the road they will be used by nearly everyone. When administered in the right dosage and in the hands of physicians, these are wonder drugs. I believe these will and should go mainstream eventually. These can improve quality of life and help lengthen lifespan if used properly. There are many things in the system right now that go beyond HGH in there ability to help the body heal itself, as the article posted by Vis talks about.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Ox_-02FeJ98/UGWxw-Ks9fI/AAAAAAAAQY8/K7kVJsyIBT0/s640/Only-The-ROCK-Can-Make-The-Rock-Look-Like-A-Sissy---HGH-And-or-Steroids-hes-The-Hottest-Man-On-This-.jpg

literally just looking at that picture again, i know his head is shaved and everything but he looks like 2 insanely different people. if you didnt know who he was, i'd bet people would think that

Fire Arians
05-31-2013, 05:11 PM
Oh no doubt, and I have no problems with that, to be honest. I just wouldn't think HGH would repair a degenerated nerve.

stem cells would. i think hines ward was using some kind of stem cell / hyperbaric chamber treatment for an injured knee in the past? I remember reading something about that.

NFL teams have a lot more money than joe blow, so that also means access to types of treatment joe blow can't afford, but they can. puts the odds in spence's favor to recover from something like this, compared to a college / high school player with the same injury

Steeldude
06-01-2013, 09:11 AM

I would take HGH only if there were no negative side effects, but I would never take it while in my 30s or below.

Fire Arians
06-01-2013, 10:21 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Ox_-02FeJ98/UGWxw-Ks9fI/AAAAAAAAQY8/K7kVJsyIBT0/s640/Only-The-ROCK-Can-Make-The-Rock-Look-Like-A-Sissy---HGH-And-or-Steroids-hes-The-Hottest-Man-On-This-.jpg

haha not only the rock but stallone looks twice as huge as he was in the rambo days. hgh is crazy

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-02-2013, 08:26 AM
Very interesting read. Perhaps that PRP procedure can be used on my tennis elbow, I sure would like to play a round of golf again sometime this summer.

There are no studies to prove that PRP works, but there are no downsides to it, because its just your own blood that is spun down to plasma. Its worth a shot, but not sure the cost.

ebsteelers
06-02-2013, 08:48 AM
haha not only the rock but stallone looks twice as huge as he was in the rambo days. hgh is crazy

http://dummiesoftheyear.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Stallone-HGH.jpg

haha i gotta get on this hgh diet

FrancoLambert
06-02-2013, 10:24 AM

Dear Dr. Vis,

I spend the summers in S.C., do you make house calls?
I could sure use some rejuvenating plasma. :chuckle:

Buddha Bus
06-02-2013, 10:27 AM
Dear Dr. Vis,

I spend the summers in S.C., do you make house calls?
I could sure use some rejuvenating plasma. :chuckle:

If you need plasma, just call O.J. He has plenty of the stuff just lying around.

pczach
06-02-2013, 10:29 AM
I watch football on my plasma...:chuckle:

Buddha Bus
06-02-2013, 10:30 AM
I watch football on my plasma...:chuckle:

Ewwwwwwww. :horror:

FrancoLambert
06-02-2013, 07:44 PM
If you need plasma, just call O.J. He has plenty of the stuff just lying around.

He's got so much experience with it that upon leaving prison, part of his community service will be spent in a blood bank.

Buddha Bus
06-02-2013, 08:04 PM
He's got so much experience with it that upon leaving prison, part of his community service will be spent in a blood bank.

Blood bank? Is that what he's calling his laundry hamper these days?

BKAnthem
06-03-2013, 08:59 AM

Nerve Grafting and "Extra Help"

43Hitman
06-03-2013, 09:04 AM
Blood bank? Is that what he's calling his laundry hamper these days?

Nah, I think he's still calling it Najeh's bathroom. :whistle: