PDA

View Full Version : Spaeth is back

WokeUpWithaWoodley
03-15-2013, 09:06 PM
Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune reported on Friday that former Chicago Bears tight end Matt Spaeth might land back with the Pittsburgh Steelers. ESPN is now reporting that Spaeth has indeed signed back with the team that drafted him in the third round of the 2007 draft.

Spaeth played his first four seasons in the league with the Steelers where he registered 36 catches for 275 yards and 5 touchdowns. He left via free agency in 2011 to sign with the Bears where he registered 13 catches for 78 yards and 3 touchdowns in two seasons.

The Steelers need depth at the tight end position with Heath Miller more than likely going to miss the first few weeks of the season due to his knee injury that he suffered at the end of last season. Spaeh is an above average blocking tight end that at least can serve as the number two tight end in two tight end sets.

Spaeth had visited with the Cincinnati Bengals earlier in the day but left without a deal.

Spaeth wasn't the only former Bears tight end the Steelers had on their radar as Kellen Davis was also in town for a free agent visit.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/03/steelers-sign-te-matt-spaeth/

Hawaii 5-0
03-15-2013, 09:18 PM
first Willie Gay, then David Johnson, then Bruce Gradkowski, and now Matt Spaeth...

Super Bowl here we come baby...:tt02:

bornaSteelersfan
03-15-2013, 09:37 PM
first Willie Gay, then David Johnson, then Bruce Gradkowski, and now Matt Spaeth...

Super Bowl here we come baby...:tt02:

:sarcasm:

fer522
03-15-2013, 09:43 PM
i wonder if Ham,Lambert,Green,and Greenwood are available :doh:

jacobo
03-15-2013, 09:54 PM
At least we have someone. Hopefully he'll pick up his -play. A big tight end in Haley's system should do well, as evidenced by Heath last year. Spaeth obviously isn't close to Heath in terms of skill, but who knows, maybe he'll thrive. If he does, then we have a viable two tight end scheme for when Heath finally does come back

Terminator
03-15-2013, 09:55 PM
Guess the prognosis for Miller isn't looking too good.

harrison'samonster
03-15-2013, 09:58 PM

no, I haven't heard anything for certain, but when he first got injured they were saying it could possibly take until December for him to heal up. The positive reports say he could be playing by the 1st week, but I'm not to sure.

Hawaii 5-0
03-15-2013, 10:02 PM

even a healthy Heath Miller may not be able to get playing time when he returns now that we have David Johnson and Matt Spaeth back. :wink02:

Terminator
03-15-2013, 10:20 PM
So will we start hearing SSSPPPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETH ?

austinfrench76
03-15-2013, 10:31 PM
Does this mean no Tyler Eifert?????

That's a joke btw...

Spaeth's not a bad pickup at all though.

harrison'samonster
03-15-2013, 10:33 PM
So will we start hearing SSSPPPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETH ?

:chuckle: that would be nice, but by law whenever a TE catches a pass us Steeler fans will yell HEEEAAAAATTTTTHHH.

Fire Haley
03-15-2013, 10:46 PM
Steelers agreed to terms with TE Matt Spaeth on a two-year contract.

"@ESPNChiBears TE Matt Spaeth agrees to terms with the #Steelers" Was the 13th-ranked free agent TE

Steelers>NFL
03-15-2013, 11:14 PM
he SUCKS! Desparado kicks in...

AgentGold007
03-16-2013, 04:15 AM
I'm cool with Spaeth and all, but I sure hope no other former Steeler cast-offs are released from their respective teams. We need to move on.

Galax Steeler
03-16-2013, 06:02 AM
I look for us to pick up a tight end in the draft. I hate it for Heath and hope him well but we have to move on and get this team a going this year.

Buddha Bus
03-16-2013, 06:51 AM
:chuckle: that would be nice, but by law whenever a TE catches a pass us Steeler fans will yell HEEEAAAAATTTTTHHH.

I actually remember that happening with Paulson a couple of times last year. :chuckle:

As far as Spaeth goes.... "meh". I didn't really like him in the first go around, unlikely to change my opinion in the second. I guess it'll due till Heath can get back.

VaDave
03-16-2013, 08:33 AM
Spaeth is an ok blocker, better than David Johnson ( now that signing was a head scratcher for sure), almost as good as Heath. Paulson, is better out on the routes than blocking, and maybe needed in that capacity if Sanders moves on.

67 calsteel
03-16-2013, 10:58 AM
good number 2te will need his blocking
starting te Will Johnson.I know he is under size at 6-2.At his pro day he impressed the steelers with 30 rep of 225 and ran a unofficial 4.49even if he runs 4.6-47 that put him up their with top te.In addition to that he showed good hand and ran crisp route.

I am not saying that he has to line up on the line every time.Use him in the slot like NE,SFand tenn. do.He also could be used like hines was.in motion and sealing the edge.

By putting him in the slot that will keep teams from stacking the box on running plays because either a linebacker or safety will have to account for him.May has enough speed do get deep up the middle.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-16-2013, 11:02 AM
So we goto camp with Paulson, Spaeth, Johnson and when Miller gets back, one of them gets cut. Basic.

Terminator
03-16-2013, 11:09 AM
Spaeth was actually quite a decent run-blocker last year for the Bears. Not to mention he already has a good relationship with Big Ben. I actually think he's going to be not bad.

BlaZeQuietly
03-16-2013, 11:25 AM
Miller will be gone for more than a few weeks

jb500ex
03-16-2013, 12:01 PM
Tomlin is so stupid he can never find a player that's not a retread. What a sham the steelers have turned into under tomlin Colbert

Fire Arians
03-16-2013, 01:26 PM
spaeth sucks

Kingmagyar
03-16-2013, 03:06 PM
If this were a horror film you know who would be the next signing?

Mewelde Moore

and guess what.... he is a free agent..........

Kingmagyar
03-16-2013, 03:11 PM
Tomlin is so stupid he can never find a player that's not a retread. What a sham the steelers have turned into under tomlin Colbert

I think it is safe to say we are now entering into the Tomlin years or will be very soon. You got to love the talent influx of that 2008 draft. That's certainly helping us now.

1 Rashard Mendenhall RB Illinois
2 Limas Sweed WR Texas
3 Bruce Davis OLB UCLA
4 Tony Hills T Texas
5 Dennis Dixon QB Oregon
6 Mike Humpal OLB Iowa
6 Ryan Mundy

TheVet
03-16-2013, 06:40 PM
spaeth sucks

But wait, he won a Super Bowl!!! (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=96583)

:rofl:

Hawaii 5-0
03-16-2013, 07:25 PM
Tight End Matt Spaeth Re-Acquired By The Pittsburgh Steelers

Mar 16th, 2013 by Dominic Di Tolla

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/58/files/2013/03/5538188.jpg

Move over William Gay.

Another member of Pittsburgh’s 2007 Draft Class is set to return to “The Steel City.”

Yesterday, Pittsburgh’s Front Office signed Tight End Matt Spaeth to provide the franchise with some insurance at the position while Heath Miller is on the mend.

Rarely utilized in Pittsburgh’s passing-attack during his four years with the Steelers, the former Minnesota Golden Gopher was not much of a pass-catching threat as a member of the Bears either. Overall, Matt caught only 13 passes for 78 Yards and 3 TD’s, and was more of a “Tackle Eligible” than a Tight End in Chicago’s “Matt Forte-centric” Offense.

At least to me, the biggest thing that I can take away from the Spaeth signing is that it basically seals Leonard Pope’s fate with the franchise. Pope was thought to be a solid pickup for Pittsburgh last offseason due to his familiarity with Todd Haley from his days in Arizona and Kansas City.

Unfortunately, Leonard was less than stellar as a run-blocker, almost non-existent as a Red Zone target, and eventually passed on the depth chart by Rookie David Paulson towards the end of last year. Thus, unless more injuries occur, Pope is likely one-and-done as a member of the Steelers.

Until Miller can return to the lineup healthy, Pittsburgh will likely line up with Paulson and Spaeth as #1 and #2 on their Depth Chart. Behind those two, I would have to think that David Johnson would be utilized in some type of flex-FB/TE backup role.

Regardless of how the Depth Chart shakes out between those three players this Summer, the onus will be on them to “hold down the fort” until the the Steelers’ Pro Bowl Tight End comes back from his knee injury.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2013/03/16/tight-end-matt-spaeth-re-acquired-by-the-pittsburgh-steelers/

lloydwoodson
03-16-2013, 08:15 PM
What is the tattoo on Spaeth's arm... you know the one that looks like sperm?

austinfrench76
03-16-2013, 11:23 PM
I like this move. I still hope that Paulson keeps developing and is the 2nd TE behind Miller but this might be a good move.

Lady Steel
03-17-2013, 11:36 AM
Oh, Lord. (sigh)

Well, at least his buddy, Jeff Reed, isn't around anymore. Don't piss me off, Spaeth! :chuckle:

I really, really miss Heath.

steelfury02
03-17-2013, 12:17 PM
wtf - he's an "ok" run blocker and that's about itg - whoop de doo

Curtain_of_Steel
03-17-2013, 12:31 PM
Bettis is in for an interview today. He asked who our Oline is? Than hobbled away on his walker.

Hawaii 5-0
05-02-2013, 02:58 PM
Spaeth: "There is a sense of determination"

Posted 5/1/13
Teresa Varley - Steelers.com

Tight end Matt Spaeth has been taking part in the Steelers offseason program since it began on April 15, but he is still getting a warm welcome every time one of his teammates see him for the first time. That was the case earlier this week when cornerback Ike Taylor was all smiles seeing Spaeth, who rejoined the Steelers this offseason as a free agent.

“It’s awesome. It’s a great feeling to be back,” said Spaeth. “It really started to hit home when I first came in for the workouts, that I was back and I would be staying. Once you see the old stuff, the locker room, being on the field, it really sets in.”

Spaeth was the Steelers third-round draft pick in 2007 out of Minnesota, seeing playing time mainly in the two-tight end set and on special teams. He signed with the Chicago Bears after the 2010 season, playing there the last two years.

The Bears released Spaeth on March 13, and the Steelers brought him back, giving them depth at tight end with Heath Miller still recovering from a knee injury.

Spaeth is taking full advantage of the offseason program, not just to stay in shape but to pick up on all of the changes in the offense under coordinator Todd Haley.

“This offseason is important for me for sure,” said Spaeth. “The stuff in the classroom is going to be the biggest thing for me, learning the playbook and all of that. The conditioning and physical part you learn the ropes over time. I am not worried about that part. But the more confident you are with the playbook, the better you are going to feel in practice and the better you can play.”

Spaeth said he already senses the determination the team has to get back to the playoffs this year, and thinks having a mix of veterans participating in the offseason program helps to keep that feeling strong.

“There is a sense of determination and that is why I wanted to be back here,” said Spaeth. “I love it. This team is so young. It’s a different team than when I was here before. It’s important for me to be around these guys and show them I am here to work. I am here to put my hand in the pile and help others any way I can.”

With some turnover on the roster, Spaeth said he still feels like he needs to prove himself, a feeling he thinks he will always have.

“This league is not what have you done, it’s what are you going to do for me,” said Spaeth. “I know that. I understand that. I am here to work and do whatever I can to help this team win.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Spaeth-There-is-a-sense-of-determination/3d464181-1c53-450f-8e35-3d6d469762c3

STEELMANIAK
05-02-2013, 03:17 PM
Spaeth: "There is a sense of determination"

Posted 5/1/13
Teresa Varley - Steelers.com

Tight end Matt Spaeth has been taking part in the Steelers offseason program since it began on April 15, but he is still getting a warm welcome every time one of his teammates see him for the first time. That was the case earlier this week when cornerback Ike Taylor was all smiles seeing Spaeth, who rejoined the Steelers this offseason as a free agent.

“It’s awesome. It’s a great feeling to be back,” said Spaeth. “It really started to hit home when I first came in for the workouts, that I was back and I would be staying. Once you see the old stuff, the locker room, being on the field, it really sets in.”

Spaeth was the Steelers third-round draft pick in 2007 out of Minnesota, seeing playing time mainly in the two-tight end set and on special teams. He signed with the Chicago Bears after the 2010 season, playing there the last two years.

The Bears released Spaeth on March 13, and the Steelers brought him back, giving them depth at tight end with Heath Miller still recovering from a knee injury.

Spaeth is taking full advantage of the offseason program, not just to stay in shape but to pick up on all of the changes in the offense under coordinator Todd Haley.

“This offseason is important for me for sure,” said Spaeth. “The stuff in the classroom is going to be the biggest thing for me, learning the playbook and all of that. The conditioning and physical part you learn the ropes over time. I am not worried about that part. But the more confident you are with the playbook, the better you are going to feel in practice and the better you can play.”

Spaeth said he already senses the determination the team has to get back to the playoffs this year, and thinks having a mix of veterans participating in the offseason program helps to keep that feeling strong.

“There is a sense of determination and that is why I wanted to be back here,” said Spaeth. “I love it. This team is so young. It’s a different team than when I was here before. It’s important for me to be around these guys and show them I am here to work. I am here to put my hand in the pile and help others any way I can.”

With some turnover on the roster, Spaeth said he still feels like he needs to prove himself, a feeling he thinks he will always have.

“This league is not what have you done, it’s what are you going to do for me,” said Spaeth. “I know that. I understand that. I am here to work and do whatever I can to help this team win.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Spaeth-There-is-a-sense-of-determination/3d464181-1c53-450f-8e35-3d6d469762c3

Good to hear. I've always liked Speath, hes a decent run/pass blocker and always been pretty reliable catching the ball. :applaudit:

Hawaii 5-0
05-20-2013, 12:25 AM
Steelers Need Backups To Produce If Heath Miller Is Sidelined

May 18th, 2013 at 1:30 pm by Dominic Di Tolla

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/58/files/2013/05/6744018-300x199.jpg

Last December, I was disgusted enough after the Steelers’ offense handed a “win-or-go-home” game in Week 16 to the Cincinnati Bengals. But what happened to Heath Miller’s knee that afternoon was just the “cherry on top” of Pittsburgh’s “crap-laden sundae” of a 2012 regular season.

As most of us unfortunately remember, Miller’s career-year ended when he tore his ACL, MCL, and PCL on a routine-play late in that game. Tearing three knee ligaments is downright scary, and many have recently questioned whether or not Heath will be ready to line up and start for the Steelers in Week 1 this September.

Even if he somehow returns for “Opening Weekend,” the tight end’s injury and lack of offseason reps could still limit his productivity over the course of the 2013 regular season. Thus, if Miller is hobbled or even forced to the bench, then Pittsburgh will need their depth at the position to find ways to help to replace him in the aggregate through their run-blocking and pass-catching.

So like it or not “Steeler Nation,” but at least two of these three players will need to pick up the slack if Pittsburgh’s Pro Bowl tight end is not 100% this fall.

Matt Spaeth

As a blocker, I am not too worried about Spaeth stepping in for Miller for an extended period of time. The veteran has the size (6’7″ 270 lbs.) and experience to capably fill in for the Pro Bowl tight end in that area of the game. Unfortunately, Spaeth has never been an effective weapon as a pass-catcher at the professional level.

During his first stint in Pittsburgh, Spaeth snagged only 36 catches for 275 yards and five touchdowns as he played second-fiddle to Miller over that span. Overall, the 2007 3rd round pick averaged nine grabs for 68 yards during his first four years in the league before he signed with Chicago as a free agent in the spring of 2011.

With Chicago, Spaeth was used as more of a “tackle eligible” than a tight end as he was more or less a non-factor in the Bears’ passing attack. Matt recorded a total of 13 catches for 78 yards and three touchdowns during the last two seasons, and the Bears eventually made him expendable after they inked Martellus Bennett this past spring.

I am fine with Spaeth as a number two/blocking tight end in Pittsburgh’s offense who can chip in during red zone and short yardage situations. But if his career-production (or lack thereof) is any indication, Matt is not the type of pass-catching threat for an offense to rely on and target heavily on a week to week basis. Nevertheless, the former Golden Gopher’s experience, as well as the lack of experienced depth behind him, will probably give him an inside track to step in for Miller if the Pro Bowler is unable to play.

David Paulson

David Paulson definitely intrigues me as he heads into his second year in the league, and I am interested to see how well that he challenge Spaeth for playing time this summer. The 2012 7th round pick was considered by many to be a bit of an afterthought behind Miller, Leonard Pope and Weslye Saunders, and it looked as if the former Oregon Duck was headed to the practice squad for the entirety his rookie campaign.

Paulson however played well enough to force the team to release Saunders, but he even made his way onto the 53-man roster last year. Heck, by the end of last year, the then-rookie had eclipsed Pope as the team’s number two tight end on the depth chart. Overall, David made seven catches for 51 yards and gained much more experience than most people thought that he would have during his first year in the league.

Pleasant surprise last season notwithstanding, Paulson is still a bit skinny for the position (6’4″ 246 lbs.) and his blocking at the point of attack definitely needs work.

Nevertheless, he does have the hands and athletic ability to be a threat in the passing game, and that is definitely something that the Steelers will need more of this year if Miller is unable to suit up for an extended period.

Even though Paulson will likely make the 53-man roster again this fall, the pressure will now be on him to improve and beat out the veteran Spaeth for playing time behind and alongside Miller. With Miller unfortunately sidelined for now, David has a perfect opportunity to play his way into more time on the offensive side of the ball.

David Johnson

David Johnson is a bit of a “wild-card” at the tight end position for the Steelers. Although Johnson (6’2″ 260 lbs.) was more or less of a tight end during his first three years with Pittsburgh, he was working as the team’s fullback last year until an ACL injury ended his season during the first week of the preseason.

The ultimate “insult” to Johnson’s injury was the fact that his replacement, Will Johnson, performed quite well during his rookie campaign. In fact, the starting fullback job should be Will’s to lose over the summer, and I for one am excited to see how well that the former West Virginia Mountaineer can play in year two of his career.

If the Steelers elect to go with only one fullback during the 2013 campaign, then David’s best chance of making the team could be as a backup tight end once again. And with only Spaeth and Paulson in front of him, the task is definitely doable for the soon-to-be fifth-year h-back.

David showed marked improvement over his first three years in the league, and he finally appeared ready to break-out in 2012 after a career year (12 catches, 91 yards, one touchdown) in 2011. Of course for Johnson to leap-frog over Paulson and Spaeth at tight end, he will have to hold his own as an “in-line” blocker. Still, Johnson could be a “wild-card” to make the roster this fall, and he will definitely be someone to watch during the preseason period to see exactly where he fits in Haley’s offense.

Final Thoughts

Many believed that Pittsburgh’s brass would target a tight end in April of this year’s draft. But Colbert & Co. elected not to take one in the draft’s seven rounds, and they did not sign one as a UDFA either. Thus, it certainly appears that Steelers’ brass either have confidence that Miller will return to the team at 100% by the time the season begins, or they are just that confident that one or more of the trio of Spaeth, Paulson and Johnson will be able to step in and help for an extended period of time.

I for one question how well that Pittsburgh’s offense can function without Miller. If he is sidelined, Ben Roethlisberger will be without his most sure-handed receiver, his safety-valve, and number one red zone pass-catching threat. And that’s just what Miller can do as a pass-receiver! Heath is one of the league’s most underrated tight ends when it comes to his ability to “in-line block” and even pass-protect as a side-car.

As much as I would like to see Miller in the lineup as soon as possible, his health is just too important for him to be rushed back before his knee is fully healed. I just hope that one or two of Heath’s three backups can play well enough if he is forced to sit for an extended period. Replacing 71 catches, 816 yards, and eight touchdowns in the statistical aggregate is a tough order for any offense to do. But replacing solid blocking, a professional attitude and a veteran presence in addition to those numbers are entirely different matters altogether.

Otherwise, Pittsburgh’s offense will probably sputter even more than they did last year.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2013/05/18/backups-must-produce-in-passing-game-for-steelers-if-miller-is-sidelined/

Fire Arians
05-20-2013, 04:13 AM
spaeth sucks

i said that years ago and will stick with it unless he really proves something, which i doubt.

bottom line. he can't catch, he can't block, he can't draw coverage. but he's big. big for nothing.

Hawaii 5-0
05-30-2013, 05:04 PM
Steelers TE Matt Spaeth isn't filling anyone's cleats but his own

By Neal Coolong on May 30 2013

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/13881791/gyi0062560476.0_standard_500.0.jpg

The Steelers signed free agent TE Matt Spaeth to help increase their versatility and athleticism as part of their plan to run outside zone. Spaeth may not be Heath Miller, but he's also a much better player than he was when he left Pittsburgh in 2011.

Filling Heath Miller's cleats can't be easy.

Those cleats destroyed Eagles cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha, and Jets DB Ellis Lankster. They held a guy who had 71 catches before they were last seen being helped off the field, Miller's torn up knee above them.

Exactly when those cleats will be worn again isn't clear right now. It won't be during OTAs, which the Steelers conduct today and Thursday before closing session 2 down.

It just means the cleats of Matt Spaeth, and not Heath Miller, need to find their own way.

Coming out of Minnesota in 2007, his massive wingspan and impressive athleticism gave him the look of a guy with a catch area the size of a garage door. If he even had average hands, he should be extremely difficult to defend. One reason or another, it didn't really work out that way. Spaeth never really became an outstanding receiver. He made a catch or two here and there, and filled in as well as he could for the uber-freak Miller.

Able to parlay that success into a free agency deal, Spaeth left the Steelers in 2011, a season after his second Super Bowl appearance with the Steelers. Chicago's offense, in particular its pass protection, was horrendous in the two seasons he was there. Despite an outstanding team start in 2011, they fizzled out at the end due largely to the injury of quarterback Jay Cutler.

Spaeth was a glimmer of quality in a sky full of murk. He used that B-2 like wingspan to reach defenders and control their direction more often than he snared high throws over the middle. He became balanced and agile - two key traits to successful blocking.

The guy who was projected to catch everything near him was moving defenders out of that same space. It just wasn't appreciated enough within an organization that made a surprising coaching change. Marc Trestmann was in, and Lovie Smith - and incidentally, Spaeth - was out.

The Steelers surprisingly signed Spaeth, two years after he left to find his calling as a long and sleek blocker.

He may not have Miller's athletic ability, but it wouldn't be surprised to see Spaeth running the same kind of seek-and-destroy missions the Steelers ran with Miller in 2012. Wide receiver Antonio Brown is one of the quicker receivers in the NFL in open space, and Spaeth has enough agility to release off the line and get in front of Brown as he's catching a short pass.

He can help double-team the end in outside zone runs, and he can climb to the second level to cut off the linebacker. He can be a very dangerous player, even if he isn't catching passes.

His cleats aren't Miller's. The Steelers aren't asking him to fill them. But his newfound skill set may be just as valuable within the Steelers offense.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/5/30/4379068/steelers-otas-depth-chart-tight-end-heath-miller-injury-update

Steelers>NFL
05-30-2013, 05:08 PM
Steelers TE Matt Spaeth isn't filling anyone's cleats but his own

By Neal Coolong on May 30 2013

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/13881791/gyi0062560476.0_standard_500.0.jpg

The Steelers signed free agent TE Matt Spaeth to help increase their versatility and athleticism as part of their plan to run outside zone. Spaeth may not be Heath Miller, but he's also a much better player than he was when he left Pittsburgh in 2011.

Filling Heath Miller's cleats can't be easy.

Those cleats destroyed Eagles cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha, and Jets DB Ellis Lankster. They held a guy who had 71 catches before they were last seen being helped off the field, Miller's torn up knee above them.

Exactly when those cleats will be worn again isn't clear right now. It won't be during OTAs, which the Steelers conduct today and Thursday before closing session 2 down.

It just means the cleats of Matt Spaeth, and not Heath Miller, need to find their own way.

Coming out of Minnesota in 2007, his massive wingspan and impressive athleticism gave him the look of a guy with a catch area the size of a garage door. If he even had average hands, he should be extremely difficult to defend. One reason or another, it didn't really work out that way. Spaeth never really became an outstanding receiver. He made a catch or two here and there, and filled in as well as he could for the uber-freak Miller.

Able to parlay that success into a free agency deal, Spaeth left the Steelers in 2011, a season after his second Super Bowl appearance with the Steelers. Chicago's offense, in particular its pass protection, was horrendous in the two seasons he was there. Despite an outstanding team start in 2011, they fizzled out at the end due largely to the injury of quarterback Jay Cutler.

Spaeth was a glimmer of quality in a sky full of murk. He used that B-2 like wingspan to reach defenders and control their direction more often than he snared high throws over the middle. He became balanced and agile - two key traits to successful blocking.

The guy who was projected to catch everything near him was moving defenders out of that same space. It just wasn't appreciated enough within an organization that made a surprising coaching change. Marc Trestmann was in, and Lovie Smith - and incidentally, Spaeth - was out.

The Steelers surprisingly signed Spaeth, two years after he left to find his calling as a long and sleek blocker.

He may not have Miller's athletic ability, but it wouldn't be surprised to see Spaeth running the same kind of seek-and-destroy missions the Steelers ran with Miller in 2012. Wide receiver Antonio Brown is one of the quicker receivers in the NFL in open space, and Spaeth has enough agility to release off the line and get in front of Brown as he's catching a short pass.

He can help double-team the end in outside zone runs, and he can climb to the second level to cut off the linebacker. He can be a very dangerous player, even if he isn't catching passes.

His cleats aren't Miller's. The Steelers aren't asking him to fill them. But his newfound skill set may be just as valuable within the Steelers offense.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/5/30/4379068/steelers-otas-depth-chart-tight-end-heath-miller-injury-update

Well, there is not much to fill!!!

FrancoLambert
05-30-2013, 05:13 PM
spaeth sucks

i said that years ago and will stick with it unless he really proves something, which i doubt.

bottom line. he can't catch, he can't block, he can't draw coverage. but he's big. big for nothing.

Replace "Spaeth" with "Johnson" and my sentiments match yours exactly.

With Heath a big question mark, our TE position looks very weak and questionable right now.

Steelstoned1972
05-30-2013, 06:16 PM
Replace "Spaeth" with "Johnson" and my sentiments match yours exactly.

With Heath a big question mark, our TE position looks very weak and questionable right now.

Hopefully , Paulson explodes in his second season , cause def not much too rely upon to fill Millers receiving contributions. I don't think Spaeth or DJ scare too many teams with their ability / inability to catch the ball.

FanSince72
05-30-2013, 07:52 PM
spaeth sucks

Well all of that is pretty much because he was rarely used and played second fiddle to Miller.

No reps, no big development.

I'm not saying he's as good as Miller but what makes Miller great is chemistry and you only develop that from playing a lot of downs. Spaeth was basically used to spell Miller and occasionally with Miller in specific packages so it's difficult to really get into a flow.

If he's used on a regular basis, I think he can be very good.
He's no Miller, but who is?

Hawaii 5-0
07-02-2013, 02:58 AM
Steelers Matt Spaeth is tough, that's why he has his job

By Neal Coolong on Jul 1 2013

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/15715731/gyi0062867232.0_standard_500.0.jpg

The blue-collar Minnesota native feels his desire to "mix it up" in the trenches is the reason he's still employed in the NFL. He gives credit for his willingness to do that from his father, the owner of a construction company.

Steelers tight end Matt Spaeth hated working for his dad growing up.

The owner of a Masonry company in St. Michael, Minn., a smallish town northwest of Minneapolis, Ken Spaeth played football at Nebraska and with the Buffalo Bills for a short period. He would drag his sons with him to work whenever they weren't in school or practicing, Matt told Mike Max of CBS Minnesota.

"That's why I have a job, to be honest with you. I like that and I enjoy that, and the physical nature, and getting in and mixing it up and the grimey stuff - that's what I like. And I think that's why I've been able to last as long as I've had in the league. I'm willing and capable of doing it," he said.

The Spaeth family can be seen from time-to-time at the Steeler Fans of Minnesota viewing parties at McGovern's in St. Paul. Matt, at 6-foot-7, may be smaller than his father. He's very hard to miss.

By all accounts, they grew up Vikings fans, which isn't odd. They cheered for their son in his first stint with Pittsburgh, and judging by Spaeth's interview with CBS Minnesota, he's happy to be back.

"I love the city of Pittsburgh and playing for the Steelers. It's an incredible organization with a great fan base. And you know, I just like to tell people that I'm gonna go out, and no matter what I'm gonna give it all I got every time, and I'm gonna play hard and do the little things that hopefully help us win," he said.

Spaeth will face his boyhood team, Minnesota, for the second time as a Steeler in Week 4 as the Steelers and Vikings travel to London as part of the league's international series. Playing the last two seasons with Chicago, he had the chance to play in front of his hometown once each year - a win in 2011 followed by a loss last season.

The Steelers beat the Vikings in Pittsburgh in 2009, one of the few losses the Vikings would take that season. In all that time, during a career that has already outweighed the length expectancy of any NFL player, Spaeth hasn't lost sight of the simple fact he didn't just make it in the NFL, he's still going.

"It's been a whirlwind to think this is year seven for me. I was just talking to somebody else, I don't want to say this, but I'm coming up on 30 and to think I'll be 30 playing in the NFL is just amazing. It's been a dream come true," Spaeth said.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/7/1/4482270/steelers-matt-spaeth-minnesota