PDA

View Full Version : Now that our stars are gone...

BlaZeQuietly
03-16-2013, 11:24 AM
So Wallace, Lewis, Mendenhall, Harrison and Sanders are all gone. We lost a lot on offense and on defense. What effect does this have on the draft? Think we will try to a RB in the first round?

The_Joker
03-16-2013, 11:28 AM
So Wallace, Lewis, Mendenhall, Harrison and Sanders are all gone. We lost a lot on offense and on defense. What effect does this have on the draft? Think we will try to a RB in the first round?

Mendy was never a star, Sanders isn't fucking gone yet and Wallace we all knew was toasted anyways.

Only loss that even slightly hurts me is Lewis, but Allen is grossly underrated.

Calm down.

BlaZeQuietly
03-16-2013, 11:28 AM
I don't really miss any of them besides Lewis and harrison, all the others were under preformers, harrison is even on the decline, we need to start adding some people though.. seriously, we can't patch this up in the draft we need at least one good FA.

BlaZeQuietly
03-16-2013, 11:29 AM
Mendy was never a star, Sanders isn't fucking gone yet and Wallace we all knew was toasted anyways.

Only loss that even slightly hurts me is Lewis, but Allen is grossly underrated.

Calm down.

sanders is fucking gone he signed with the pats

pete74
03-16-2013, 11:29 AM
No. They will go tight end or defensive line in the first then probably try to get a reciever and rb in rounds 2-4

BlaZeQuietly
03-16-2013, 11:30 AM
well thats the rumor at least. that sanders signed with the pats...

Varg
03-16-2013, 11:31 AM
Sanders left New England without signing anything . He's not gone yet .

Fire Haley
03-16-2013, 11:34 AM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Patriots still mulling whether to sign Steelers WR Emmanuel Sanders to an offer sheet. So far, no decision made and no offer sheet signed.

desertsteel
03-16-2013, 11:43 AM

He's not signed. He has an offer. As an RFA we can match and if we don't we get a 3rd round pick.

Fire Haley
03-16-2013, 11:52 AM
or we could be dead broke and not able to sign him if we wanted to if he does eventually sign their offer sheet - and we just signed Spaeth too

The Steelers are about $3 million under the $123 million salary cap.

They will pick up another $5.5 million in cap space June 1 because of the release of guard Willie Colon (who signed a one-year, $1.2 million deal with the Jets on Friday) that will be designated for their draft picks

: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3668206-74/steelers-sanders-free#ixzz2NiZmG0wI

SteelBlaze1
03-16-2013, 12:19 PM
I read that if the Pats sign Sanders, they give us their third round pick and they will be left with only FOUR draft picks. I don't them wanting to do that.

Solak
03-16-2013, 12:23 PM
I can't see the Pats giving up a draft pick either but who knows. I don't want to lose Sanders but a third round this year with all the holes we have isn't the worst thing. Lots of good value in 3rd and 4th round this year I believe. We need linebackers, a running back, a wide receiver, maybe two safeties. Glad we lost Mendenhall, Wallace, and Harrison. Was hoping Lewis would be back though.

Fire Haley
03-16-2013, 12:36 PM
the plot thickens

Mark Kaboly‏@MarkKaboly_Trib
Maybe Pats using Sanders visit to force Brandon Lloyd into pay cut or maybe they are truly interested in Sanders. Don't put anything past BB

Fire Arians
03-16-2013, 01:29 PM

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/104/812/1295884535788.jpg

lloydwoodson
03-16-2013, 06:54 PM
I think Blaze made a good thread here (I would expect no less from my favourite member).

Mendenhall is a feature back regardless of how many fans hate him.

Wallace is one of the biggest deep-play threats in the NFL and forces every defense to be honest and defend downfield.

Miller may be ineffective next year leaving Pittsburgh missing yet another big piece of the puzzle out.

When Roethlisberger had Ward, Holmes, Wallace, Miller, Spaeth, and Mendenhall in 2009 the Steelers finished 12th in scoring offense.

How will what has been a mediocre offense for the last 10 seasons fare with Brown, Sanders, Spaeth and Dwyer at the skill positions?

I think we are going to have to see a return to old-school Steeler football. The future of this team rests with the offensive line. GoFor7 is going to be livid, irate and generally furious after every game next season because I would bet a huge amount of other people's money that Haley is going to run, run, run the ball next year to protect the defense. :chuckle:

TheVet
03-16-2013, 07:44 PM

We lost our #3 RB, no big deal. In fact, losing the negative attitude should be a net increase. RB is not a problem area for this team, that's like number 11 on a list of 10.

austinfrench76
03-16-2013, 07:50 PM
The Pats released Lloyd so it is possible that they sign Sanders. I wrote in another thread though that we could offer Lloyd a vet min contract, or something smaller than Sanders, and pick up a 3rd round pick. I would take Lloyd and a 3rd rounder, hell even just a 3rd rounder for Sanders in a minute. Also, he will be another Wallace, not nearly as expensive, but we will only have him for this coming year. We probably can't sign him next year either because we'll be in cap hell again. I think we win if he stays or go. Rare occurrence in my opinion.

Hawaii 5-0
03-16-2013, 08:10 PM
The Pats released Lloyd so it is possible that they sign Sanders. I wrote in another thread though that we could offer Lloyd a vet min contract, or something smaller than Sanders, and pick up a 3rd round pick.

Brandon Lloyd is going to command a much higher contract than the vet minimum.

Blacksburg Zach
03-16-2013, 08:53 PM
I think Blaze made a good thread here (I would expect no less from my favourite member).

Mendenhall is a feature back regardless of how many fans hate him.

Wallace is one of the biggest deep-play threats in the NFL and forces every defense to be honest and defend downfield.

Miller may be ineffective next year leaving Pittsburgh missing yet another big piece of the puzzle out.

When Roethlisberger had Ward, Holmes, Wallace, Miller, Spaeth, and Mendenhall in 2009 the Steelers finished 12th in scoring offense.

How will what has been a mediocre offense for the last 10 seasons fare with Brown, Sanders, Spaeth and Dwyer at the skill positions?

I think we are going to have to see a return to old-school Steeler football. The future of this team rests with the offensive line. GoFor7 is going to be livid, irate and generally furious after every game next season because I would bet a huge amount of other people's money that Haley is going to run, run, run the ball next year to protect the defense. :chuckle:

Yeah, and then he will blame "yinzer nation" for being stupid, supporting Art Rooney, causing Global Warming, and insist that the Steelers would win every game if the almighty Big Ben would pass on every single down, just as GoFor7 always does. :chuckle:

lloydwoodson
03-16-2013, 09:05 PM
Yeah, and then he will blame "yinzer nation" for being stupid, supporting Art Rooney, causing Global Warming, and insist that the Steelers would win every game if the almighty Big Ben would pass on every single down, just as GoFor7 always does. :chuckle:

"This is a new NFL! Tomlin needs to let Roethlisberger win the game early instead of playing Marty-ball! Ben throwing 40 times a game isn't enough because it isn't working! He needs to throw more!"

:rofl:

Blacksburg Zach
03-16-2013, 09:20 PM
"This is a new NFL! Tomlin needs to let Roethlisberger win the game early instead of playing Marty-ball! Ben throwing 40 times a game isn't enough because it isn't working! He needs to throw more!"

"Artie is a meddlesome owner that is stuck in the 1970s! Big Ben the almighty should be the offensive coordinator!" According to GoFor7, the offense supposedly is run, run, BEN HELP on third down, even though the Steelers had 574 pass attempts to 412 rush attempts, yet according to his argument, the steelers run 2/3 of the time. :noidea:

Hawaii 5-0
03-16-2013, 09:24 PM

the Steelers also need to change the way they play offense, Art Rooney II has to realize this is not the 70s anymore.

If we would only try to score and stop handcuffing our franchise QB we would win every game.

but If we only worry about TOP and protecting our alleged #1 defense we will be lucky to win 8 games next season.

:sarcalert:

desertsteel
03-16-2013, 10:51 PM
Brandon Lloyd is going to command a much higher contract than the vet minimum.

He will be 32 when the season starts and in 11 seasons he has only had 2 years with more than 51 catches.

Me thinks he's not going to command much.

Hawaii 5-0
03-16-2013, 11:12 PM
"Artie is a meddlesome owner that is stuck in the 1970s! Big Ben the almighty should be the offensive coordinator!" According to GoFor7, the offense supposedly is run, run, BEN HELP on third down, even though the Steelers had 574 pass attempts to 412 rush attempts, yet according to his argument, the steelers run 2/3 of the time. :noidea:

looks like you pretty much nailed it...:thumbsup:

Hawaii 5-0
03-16-2013, 11:16 PM
He will be 32 when the season starts and in 11 seasons he has only had 2 years with more than 51 catches.

Me thinks he's not going to command much.

Brandon Lloyd was one of the Patriots' starting receivers in 2012, playing in 84.8 percent of the offensive snaps and finishing with 74 receptions for 911 yards and four touchdowns.

Me thinks Lloyd will be commanding more than the vet minimum.

BlaZeQuietly
03-18-2013, 05:05 PM
I don't know why all the hostility towards me. Is it so wrong to point out that we have lost some very big names and that perhaps, just maybe that would effect the way we draft this spring??? We have a lot of holes to patch up that we didn't have a month ago, so maybe... just maybe the draft will be taken on a little differently now?
big meanies!

TheVet
03-18-2013, 10:36 PM
I don't know why all the hostility towards me. Is it so wrong to point out that we have lost some very big names and that perhaps, just maybe that would effect the way we draft this spring??? We have a lot of holes to patch up that we didn't have a month ago, so maybe... just maybe the draft will be taken on a little differently now?
big meanies!

Hostility? What hostility? You started a "Now that our stars are gone" thread, and named 4 names - which only included 1.5 out of 4 stars. That's 37.5% - more effort than Rashard ever brought, but not enough for hate. Good amusement though.

BlaZeQuietly
03-19-2013, 03:19 PM
I mentioned 5 names. Harrison is a star, Wallace is a star, even if he had a bad season (the dolphins are glad to have him) If lewis plays like he did last season it's safe to say he's a star, mendenhall was a #1 pick and could still put up big numbers if he puts forth effort, and Sanders isn't to shabby either, so I don't know where you are getting 1.5 out of 4, its more like 4.5 out of 5. so stick that in your office and frame it.

Hawaii 5-0
03-19-2013, 03:29 PM
so stick that in your office and frame it.

I must admit, I've never heard this saying before. :noidea: