PDA

View Full Version : Elvis Dumervil to Baltimore?

OliverPoop
03-16-2013, 10:34 PM
So apparently the cap strapped Baltimore Ravens and the Pats who for some reason never seem to be cap hindered are very interested in Dumervil after the fax debacle in Denver.

Yet every year all we ever hear about is the Steelers never having cap room to sign a higher profile free agent. Oh but sorry I forgot never question "The Steeler way." Never sign a serious free agent, always overpay your own mediocre players and pretend that you draft well.

austinfrench76
03-17-2013, 12:16 AM
Good questions. Wish I knew...

Justp94
03-17-2013, 12:46 AM
So apparently the cap strapped Baltimore Ravens and the Pats who for some reason never seem to be cap hindered are very interested in Dumervil after the fax debacle in Denver.

Yet every year all we ever hear about is the Steelers never having cap room to sign a higher profile free agent. Oh but sorry I forgot never question "The Steeler way." Never sign a serious free agent, always overpay your own mediocre players and pretend that you draft well.

The Ravens being interested doesn't mean anything, and your criticism are true to a certain extent as the Steelers overpay certain players that aren't deserving of those contracts, and with all NFL Drafts there's always going to be busts and wrong moves by every team. Let's just hope this year we draft the right players and we let them play, instead of being back ups all the time.

Blackout
03-17-2013, 02:00 AM
He wants to stay with Denver. Supposedly he has already fired his agent over this debacle.

tony hipchest
03-17-2013, 02:59 AM

maybe you just dont really understand the salary cap. :noidea:

anyone who knows the most elementary things about the cap understands why the patriots never seem to be "cap hindered".

its simple math really... basic budgeting and effective planning...

pittpete
03-17-2013, 11:36 AM
There are some really dopey Steeler fans out there

steeltheone
03-17-2013, 12:18 PM

The Patriots rarely pay or keep a player to long. The Vets they do sign are short term or incentive based.

SteelCurtain5643
03-17-2013, 04:14 PM
Steelers have interest, this would be a huge signing and would be a great addition to the pass rush. If we get both him and Bradshaw, I will be very very happy.

Bayz101
03-17-2013, 04:17 PM
E.D. recently fired his agent, and he'd like to stay in Denver.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000151289/article/elvis-dumervil-replaces-agent-after-broncos-fax-fiasco

OX1947
03-17-2013, 04:17 PM
On what planet would the Steelers be interested in a free agent that wants 7 mil per?

Bayz101
03-17-2013, 04:22 PM
On what planet would the Steelers be interested in a free agent that wants 7 mil per?

Well, we'd need time-travel, not space-travel. :chuckle:

jacobo
03-17-2013, 04:24 PM
How could this possibly happen?

pete74
03-17-2013, 04:29 PM
I would be so happy but we would have to cut Ben to sign him

Vis
03-17-2013, 04:32 PM
Report: Steelers interested in Dumervil too

Posted by Josh Alper on March 17, 2013, 5:28 PM EDT

Getty Images
The Ravens and Steelers won’t be renewing their rivalry on the field for several months, but they may be engaged in conflict over a free agent in the coming days.

Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun reported earlier that the Ravens have “serious interest” in adding Elvis Dumervil to their lineup and now adds that a league source has told him that the Steelers are also interested in adding Dumervil to their lineup. Dumervil became a free agent after Friday’s fax follies negated the pay cut it briefly looked like he would be taking to remain with the Broncos.

That the Steelers would be interested in Dumervil is not surprising since they could use some pass rushing help after saying goodbye to James Harrison, but it’s hard to see them paying what it will cost to sign Dumervil given how hard they’ve been working to get their cap in order already this offseason. It wouldn’t be impossible (and the Ravens are hardly brimming with cap space), but they might not have enough ammunition to win a bidding war.

The Titans and Patriots have also been mentioned as possible suitors for Dumervil’s services and the coming week should bring more information about the next stop for the unexpected free agent.

pancake
03-17-2013, 05:00 PM
Don't think it will happen, but I would love it if it did!

TRH
03-17-2013, 05:04 PM
We could use him for sure - but then there's reality. We just dont' have the money - end of story.

Bane
03-17-2013, 05:08 PM
I'd be pretty happy with it. It would relieve us of needing to draft an OLB this year, and allow us to concentrate on Safety and/or Offense.

SteelersCanada
03-17-2013, 05:31 PM
We'd have to cut Troy, Clark, Ike and Keisel to even consider this.

OX1947
03-17-2013, 05:33 PM
How could this possibly happen?

Im hoping to all hell we are wrong, thats for sure.

Bane
03-17-2013, 05:42 PM
We'd have to cut Troy, Clark, Ike and Keisel to even consider this.

They may simply be "interested" to drive up the price on the Ravens.

FrancoLambert
03-17-2013, 06:15 PM
Based on all of the cap experts analysis (some of you guys are amazing at crunching the numbers, you must all be accountants) it can't possibly happen. Too bad.

StainlessStill
03-17-2013, 06:17 PM
I'd jizz in my pants if someway, somehow the football Gods will allow us to snag E.D.

Then I'd wake up.

LVSteelersfan
03-17-2013, 06:19 PM
Just cut the long snapper and we can land Dumerville. WOO HOO !!!!

steeltheone
03-17-2013, 07:58 PM
Keeping Keisel at his cap hit is nothing but slap on the ass for being a good soldier...He is not near worth that money.

Terminator
03-17-2013, 10:45 PM
Honestly, if this were at all possible, it would be amazing. I would seriously consider cutting some "stars" if it meant landing Elvis.

kan_t
03-17-2013, 10:49 PM
If it needs cutting Keisel or restructuring Troy's deal to make it happen, do it.

PhantomJB93
03-17-2013, 11:29 PM
I would cut Keisel for Dumervil in a heartbeat. Not sure I'd risk losing anyone else though.

Fire Haley
03-17-2013, 11:42 PM
Steelers know Pats want him so they are getting involved just to jack up his price

take that cheaters

tony hipchest
03-18-2013, 12:03 AM
We'd have to cut Troy, Clark, Ike and Keisel to even consider this.not so much.

working the salary cap and contracts isnt exactly rocket science.

bornaSteelersfan
03-18-2013, 01:14 AM
Cutting Keisel would do it. It's time to start first-round pick Cam Heyward.

Or trade Troy Polamalu to The Broncos for their #1 pick. The Broncos are desperate for a shot at winning the Super Bowl and are 1 or 2 players away from getting there. They probably would have beat The Ravens if their Safety was better. Troy could be the difference for them in the short term. It would free up the cap space needed and then we could use that pick to get Matt Elam.

kan_t
03-18-2013, 01:47 AM
not so much.

Agreed. It's depended on how they structure the deal. Giving him a big signing bonus or back-loading the deal may do it.

Fire Arians
03-18-2013, 02:31 AM
can't afford

Galax Steeler
03-18-2013, 03:35 AM
Cutting Keisel would do it. It's time to start first-round pick Cam Heyward.

Or trade Troy Polamalu to The Broncos for their #1 pick. The Broncos are desperate for a shot at winning the Super Bowl and are 1 or 2 players away from getting there. They probably would have beat The Ravens if their Safety was better. Troy could be the difference for them in the short term. It would free up the cap space needed and then we could use that pick to get Matt Elam.

I agree with this Cam needs to be in the starting lineup for us.

tanda10506
03-18-2013, 04:14 AM
If we didn't keep Harrison then there is no excuse for keeping Keisel. We have a 1st round pick behind him and we could use that money to get another player at a position of need. Dummerville would be great. He's definitely not Harrison in his prime, but he's pretty damn good and would be a big improvement on whoever we end up starting at that spot. I still have faith that Woodley will get back to kicking ass and that we can get pressure on the QB again if we have someone to put on the opposite side of him. I would think that Troy's contract is going to be restructured, if we did that and let Keisel go then the FO could probably pull it off.

I'm confident that Burress and Cotchery will outperform Wallace and Sanders of last year (not hard to do), and we already have pretty good DB's, if we could get a pass rush and a running game we would be contenders immediately. I have been saying that it's going to take a couple of years to get this team back to being contenders, and if we stay on our usual FA course then I would still agree, but if the FO could find a way to get us that pass rush and rushing game in the FA market then we will be taking a HUGE leap forward. It's not going to happen, but I'll hold out hope till I know it's impossible.

ebsteelers
03-18-2013, 09:05 AM
unless he is signing up for a box jock straps, some bubble gum, and free meals in the cafe.. i dont see how it could happen

steelerchad
03-18-2013, 09:49 AM
maybe you just dont really understand the salary cap. :noidea:

anyone who knows the most elementary things about the cap understands why the patriots never seem to be "cap hindered".

its simple math really... basic budgeting and effective planning...

In addition, I believe we've won 2 Super Bowls since the Pats have won their last one. They suppossedly have the best HC and QB to ever play the game, yet they've come up short for about a decade now. Those 2 spots are argueably the most important on any team, so the rest of their roster hasn't exactly been filled with greatness.

steeltheone
03-18-2013, 12:19 PM
If we didn't keep Harrison then there is no excuse for keeping Keisel. We have a 1st round pick behind him and we could use that money to get another player at a position of need. Dummerville would be great. He's definitely not Harrison in his prime, but he's pretty damn good and would be a big improvement on whoever we end up starting at that spot. I still have faith that Woodley will get back to kicking ass and that we can get pressure on the QB again if we have someone to put on the opposite side of him. I would think that Troy's contract is going to be restructured, if we did that and let Keisel go then the FO could probably pull it off.

I'm confident that Burress and Cotchery will outperform Wallace and Sanders of last year (not hard to do), and we already have pretty good DB's, if we could get a pass rush and a running game we would be contenders immediately. I have been saying that it's going to take a couple of years to get this team back to being contenders, and if we stay on our usual FA course then I would still agree, but if the FO could find a way to get us that pass rush and rushing game in the FA market then we will be taking a HUGE leap forward. It's not going to happen, but I'll hold out hope till I know it's impossible.. Burress is 36 he won't touch Wallace's production.

TheVet
03-18-2013, 03:24 PM
. Burress is 36 he won't touch Wallace's production.

The man who wouldn't vs. the man who couldn't. Tough call.

SteelersCanada
03-18-2013, 03:26 PM
not so much.

We have 3 million in cap room with 5 million on the way. 5 of which is going to our rookies, so less than 3 million has to be signed for Dumervil?

It's not rocket science, you're right - it's impossible science.

Tony, I usually agree with you, but I don't see how we have the cap space right now to sign Dumervil. We'd have to make cuts of the big contracts we currently have (i.e, Troy) to consider taking on a cap hit like Elvis'.

pete74
03-18-2013, 03:34 PM
We have 3 million in cap room with 5 million on the way. 5 of which is going to our rookies, so less than 3 million has to be signed for Dumervil?

Tony, I usually agree with you, but I don't see how we have the cap space right now to sign Dumervil. We'd have to make cuts of the big contracts we currently have (i.e, Troy) to consider taking on a cap hit like Elvis'.

Simple, we rest work release someone

SteelersCanada
03-18-2013, 06:56 PM
Simple, we rest work release someone

Who's that gonna be, though? It has to be someone with a significant enough cap hit to warrant a release, but at a position where we either a) have depth already existing or b) are going to draft for it. To me, there's two guys that fit this mold: Keisel and Troy. I would've said Ike had we kept Lewis, but now we probably need him so Van Dyke can continue his development.

If we release both of those guys, draft a Safety in the first two rounds and let Cameron Hewyard start, we could probably sign Dumervil. Whether or not we're all comfortable with that is another story.

tanda10506
03-18-2013, 07:16 PM
Who's that gonna be, though? It has to be someone with a significant enough cap hit to warrant a release, but at a position where we either a) have depth already existing or b) are going to draft for it. To me, there's two guys that fit this mold: Keisel and Troy. I would've said Ike had we kept Lewis, but now we probably need him so Van Dyke can continue his development.

If we release both of those guys, draft a Safety in the first two rounds and let Cameron Hewyard start, we could probably sign Dumervil. Whether or not we're all comfortable with that is another story.

I don't think we would have to let Troy AND Keisel go. I would be surprised if Troy's contract isn't re-negotiated, and if it is, letting Keisel go should be enough. I would plan on Hampton being let go also. We are in a "semi" rebuilding stage. The O line is full of young draft picks and we still have a top QB with some good receiving options, but a lot of talent needs to be added at RB and on defense. The odds of it all coming together this year is slim, so I see no point in keeping any aged player that is going to be cut the following year. The FO can't half ass it in order to try and have a good year this year, they need to start now. Save the money NOW and build for the future, if it costs us a season or two but gives us another SB or two before Ben leaves then it will be WELL worth it.This is a major turning point for this FO IMO, we can be a few draft picks and a FA or two away from winning a few more SB's if the right moves are made, but if they are not then we will be in for a lengthier rebuild.

kan_t
03-18-2013, 08:48 PM

Flacco is making more than $20M this year and his cap hit is only $7.5M in 2013. It really depends on how they structure the deal.

TheVet
03-18-2013, 09:47 PM
:toofunny:

Steelers are probably waiting for a fax from Dumerville.

bornaSteelersfan
03-19-2013, 05:06 AM
I don't think they really can afford to get Dumerville. I actually think it might be a little posturing. If Dumerville signs for cheap, then great. If not, it is a little motivation for Harrison to swallow his pride and get back on the table to negotiate now that he knows how little he is really worth. We sign Dumerville, Harrison may have to retire.

wwhickok
03-19-2013, 06:33 AM
I could see him ending up in Baltkmore but ultimately I think he goes back to Denver.

Steelers>NFL
03-19-2013, 07:53 AM
:toofunny:

Steelers are probably waiting for a fax from Dumerville.

And he already FIRED the Steelers. So don't count on him in Steeler uniform...

Vincent
03-19-2013, 09:24 AM
I'd prefer they spend any money they imagined they might have spent on Dumervil on Starks, he who handily handled Dumervil on the occasions they met. That way we get Max's services for all the other "scary" DEs and ROLBs the league has to offer.

Hawaii 5-0
03-19-2013, 06:42 PM
Broncos Offer Dumervil New Contract

Updated: March 19, 2013
ESPN.com news services

After the fax faux pas and denied appeals, the Denver Broncos and free agent Elvis Dumervil may be close to a reconciliation.

"We've offered Elvis a contract," Broncos team president John Elway said Tuesday. "We'd like to have Elvis back."

Elway did not delve into specifics of the offer.

Dumervil and the Broncos agreed upon a restructured contract that would have paid him $8 million in 2013. However, Dumervil's agent did not get the paperwork faxed to the team until seven minutes after the NFL deadline on Friday. The Broncos were forced to cut Dumervil because they would have had to pay him $12 million in 2013 otherwise.

Dumervil fired agent Marty Magid on Saturday. The Broncos are open to re-signing Dumervil and he reportedly wants to return. But there are salary-cap issues at play. Baltimore and Pittsburgh also have reportedly expressed interest in the 29-year-old pass-rusher.

Dumervil signed a six-year, $61.5 million contract in 2010 when Josh McDaniels was coaching the team and before Elway joined the Denver front office.

Dumervil had 11 sacks last season, second on the team behind Von Miller. Dumervil led the league with 17 sacks in 2009.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9071839/john-elway-says-elvis-dumervil-offered-contract-denver-broncos

mainevent3405
03-20-2013, 03:43 PM
Per Twitter: MikeKlis
Elvis Dumervil underwhelmed by Broncos' latest three-year offer, according to two sources. He's planning to visit teams in next 48 hours.

We can wish can't we?

New to the site.....43 years of being a Steeler fan!

Bane
03-20-2013, 04:04 PM
Welcome! Great first post. Hopefully we can get the details so we can gauge whether the Steelers have a chance.

harrison'samonster
03-20-2013, 04:25 PM
Elvis Dumervil underwhelmed by Broncos' latest three-year offer, according to two sources. He's planning to visit teams in next 48 hours.

We can wish can't we?

welcome to the board! Wish away, maybe it will come true :chuckle:

pete74
03-20-2013, 05:00 PM

We can wish can't we?

I would be in heaven if he became a Steeler and I would be in hell if he became a Raven. Imagine Dumervil and Suggs together. Ben wouldn't have a chance, you couldn't double team them both or Nagata would get a dozen sacks. I know it's a slim chance but I would love to have him

PhantomJB93
03-20-2013, 05:19 PM
Serious question: Would you cut Troy or Clark and Keisel if we drafted Vaccaro and signed Dumervil? I'd seriously consider it...

But yeah, somebody if not multiple people would need to be cut for Dumervil, we'd have to outbid other teams which is something we simply can't do right now as is.

harrison'samonster
03-20-2013, 05:25 PM
Serious question: Would you cut Troy or Clark and Keisel if we drafted Vaccaro and signed Dumervil? I'd seriously consider it...

But yeah, somebody if not multiple people would need to be cut for Dumervil, we'd have to outbid other teams which is something we simply can't do right now as is.

I wouldn't at this point. It's tempting to go after a big name at this point, but I still believe if Troy is healthy throughout the season he still is the best defensive player on the field. I know, his health is a big question mark.

pete74
03-20-2013, 05:30 PM

In a second. I want to see what Heyward can do anyway so I wouldn't mind him starting. Dumervil would be insane and I think Vaccaro is a first year starter if any other team drafts him so why not for us. If he isn't ready right away, oh well. Allen looked great when he played

harrison'samonster
03-20-2013, 05:42 PM
I'm not sure we've resigned Will Allen.

steelfury02
03-20-2013, 06:18 PM
Troy? No. Clark and Keisel - yes.

EDIT: Oh yea - welcome my good sir! Thanks for the update and welcome to Thunderdome.

pete74
03-20-2013, 06:28 PM
It looks like a bidding war between Baltimore and Denver for Dumervil

steelfury02
03-20-2013, 07:53 PM
It looks like a bidding war between Baltimore and Denver for Dumervil

if Baltimore gets him I will

A. Avoid reading ESPN as Hensley will say that it will completely negate all the other losses and that this will automatically help them contend and dominate the division because after all he "isn't a Baltimore guy"

B. Pray that our line gels and gels quickly

C. Share a Fudge Round with Woodley and a warm fatty embrace or

D. All of the above

Buddha Bus
03-20-2013, 08:04 PM

A. Avoid reading ESPN as Hensley will say that it will completely negate all the other losses and that this will automatically help them contend and dominate the division because after all he "isn't a Baltimore guy"

D. All of the above

Option C sounds really disturbing, gross, and unnatural.

Who needed to sleep anyway? :noidea:

Hawaii 5-0
03-22-2013, 01:14 PM
Ravens after Elvis Dumervil?

Updated: March 22, 2013
ESPN.com news services

The champion Baltimore Ravens have lost some big names this offseason, and they're trying to do something about it at the expense of the Denver Broncos.

According to the Baltimore Sun, the Ravens have made their interest known to free-agent defensive end Elvis Dumervil, who was cut by the Broncos in a fax snafu last week.

Dumervil does not have a visit to Baltimore scheduled, but GM Ozzie Newsome reached out to the player's agent immediately after he was cut, the Sun reported. That agent, Marty Magid, has since been fired by Dumervil after the necessary paperwork for his reworked contract didn't make it to the league office in time.

The Broncos have already made an offer to bring Dumervil back into the fold. He had agreed to reduce his salary from $12 million to $8 million for next season.

Dumervil signed a six-year, $61.5 million contract in 2010. He had 11 sacks last season, second on the team behind Von Miller. Dumervil led the league with 17 sacks in 2009.

Baltimore has released defensive back Bernard Pollard and guard Bobbie Williams, traded wide receiver Anquan Boldin to the 49ers, lost linebackers Dannell Ellerbe and Paul Kruger in free agency and watched linebacker Ray Lewis and center Matt Birk retire. Safety Ed Reed has reportedly agreed to a three year contract with the Texans.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9083786/report-baltimore-ravens-elvis-dumervil

Buddha Bus
03-22-2013, 02:37 PM
I heard on Baltimore sports talk radio that the Ravens have actually made an offer to Dumervil. The amount and length is unknown, but they said that the Broncos still have the ability to offer him a bit more in the first year and he has the same agent as Peyton now. Hopefully that's enough to keep him out of Baltimore.

Hawaii 5-0
03-22-2013, 02:48 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter:

Broncos have offer out to Elvis Dumervil. But looking at Dwight Freeney and John Abraham in event they cannot bring back Dumervil.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter

Buddha Bus
03-22-2013, 02:53 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter:

Broncos have offer out to Elvis Dumervil. But looking at Dwight Freeney and John Abraham in event they cannot bring back Dumervil.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter

I think it will boil down to how pissed Dumervil is about being released and then low-balled (at least in his mind) by the Broncos. He has himself and his former agent only to blame for that debacle. Of course the Broncos would want to recoup some of the lost dead cap money hit they had to take when they were forced to release him because of the fax snafu. It wasn't their fault.

I see him re-signing with Denver unless something unexpected happens where the Ravens can outbid them and I don't think they can at this point without swinging the bloody ax yet again.

Buddha Bus
03-22-2013, 04:10 PM
More encouraging news that may prevent the Ravens from landing Dumervil.

__________________________________________________ _________________________________

Elvis Dumervil reportedly has Miami Dolphins' interest
By Chris Wesseling
Around the League Writer
Published: March 22, 2013 at 04:21 p.m.

Free agent Elvis Dumervil has offers on the table from the Denver Broncos and Baltimore Ravens.

There soon could be a third legitimate suitor for the pass rusher's services.

Free-agent tracker
NFL free agency is underway. Follow all of the latest player rumors and signings in our free-agent tracker. More...
The Miami Dolphins have "jumped into" the Dumervil sweepstakes, according to The Denver Post's Mike Klis.

It should be noted that there is no report of a third offer for Dumervil to consider. The Post previously reported that the Dolphins and Tennessee Titans have been in touch with Dumervil's agent. Klis acknowledges that the extent of Miami's interest is "unclear" at this juncture.

(Read More:) http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000152962/article/elvis-dumervil-reportedly-has-miami-dolphins-interest

SteelersCanada
03-22-2013, 04:14 PM
Have we been ruled out of it yet? I didn't see anywhere that we stopped negotiations or anything so there's still a chance, albeit very small, that he comes here. Faith, guys. Faith.

Hawaii 5-0
03-22-2013, 04:20 PM
guess we can pretty much cross off Dumervil to the Steelers...

Buddha Bus
03-22-2013, 04:22 PM
Although, technically, we may not have been ruled out, I see little chance we can afford to sign him without some kind of major restructuring or cuts.

Hawaii 5-0
03-23-2013, 06:32 PM
Elvis Dumervil 'wants to feel wanted' by next NFL team

By Marc Sessler
Around the League Writer
Published: March 23, 2013

With contract offers in hand from the Denver Broncos and Baltimore Ravens, Elvis Dumervil is going to make his money.

But Mike Klis of The Denver Post reported Friday that the free-agent pass rusher isn't fixated on breaking the bank. A league source familiar with the situation told the newspaper that wherever Dumervil winds up, "he wants to feel wanted."

On the heels of the outrageous fax-machine blunder that triggered his release from the Broncos, Dumervil is still smarting after being fired by the team he's played for since 2006.

That's one reason why he hasn't hopped on Denver's revised contract proposal, according to the source, who said the Broncos have offered him more than the Ravens. At least one other team -- the Miami Dolphins, according to Klis -- also has jumped into the race.

The attention is nice, but the source said Dumervil planned to "pray and sleep on his decision Friday night."

After a wild week, it's time to ponder what comes next.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000153120/article/elvis-dumervil-wants-to-feel-wanted-by-next-nfl-team

Fire Haley
03-23-2013, 06:53 PM
It's Sat - He must be still dreaming of South beach

Dolphins have more cap room than the Donks and Ravens put together.

Justp94
03-23-2013, 08:42 PM
Elvis Dumervil 'wants to feel wanted' by next NFL team

By Marc Sessler
Around the League Writer
Published: March 23, 2013

With contract offers in hand from the Denver Broncos and Baltimore Ravens, Elvis Dumervil is going to make his money.

But Mike Klis of The Denver Post reported Friday that the free-agent pass rusher isn't fixated on breaking the bank. A league source familiar with the situation told the newspaper that wherever Dumervil winds up, "he wants to feel wanted."

On the heels of the outrageous fax-machine blunder that triggered his release from the Broncos, Dumervil is still smarting after being fired by the team he's played for since 2006.

That's one reason why he hasn't hopped on Denver's revised contract proposal, according to the source, who said the Broncos have offered him more than the Ravens. At least one other team -- the Miami Dolphins, according to Klis -- also has jumped into the race.

The attention is nice, but the source said Dumervil planned to "pray and sleep on his decision Friday night."

After a wild week, it's time to ponder what comes next.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000153120/article/elvis-dumervil-wants-to-feel-wanted-by-next-nfl-team

The Steelers should just call him up and say "We love you, join our team for the veteran minimum. No? I thought you said it's not about the money and you only wanted to be wanted? We said 'we love you', isn't that enough?" hahahaha

steeltheone
03-23-2013, 09:40 PM
The Steelers should just call him up and say "We love you, join our team for the veteran minimum. No? I thought you said it's not about the money and you only wanted to be wanted? We said 'we love you', isn't that enough?" hahahaha

Staying in Denver seems to be the best place for a chance at a ring.

Hawaii 5-0
03-23-2013, 10:51 PM

I would send him flowers, some chocolates and what the hell, throw in a nice card. :tt02:

Buddha Bus
03-23-2013, 10:55 PM
I would send him flowers, some chocolates and what the hell, throw in a nice card. :tt02:

What... no steak dinner and moonlit walk on the beach? Thanks a lot, Hawaii. You just blew our shot at getting him. :doh:

steelfury02
03-24-2013, 06:52 AM
if he doesn't feel welcomed by the Broncos (IMO his best chance, then us for ring) then $$ will make him feel real wanted

I also believe we are due for a free agent signing that will make a 5+ year starting contribution, but, its not going to be in this type of price range - we have to hope someone really undervalues a talent that would fit perfectly in our system

No one was really touting Farrior or Clark - we really haven't gotten a "name" since Bettis from Rams

SteelersCanada
03-24-2013, 04:08 PM
He's going to Baltimore according to NFL.com. Fuck.

I'd post the link but I'm on my iPhone so anyone that wants to provide it would be appreciated.

SteelCurtain5643
03-24-2013, 04:14 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000153208/article/elvis-dumervil-headed-to-baltimore-ravens

5 yr deal. Still doesnt make up for all they lost tho but oh well

pete74
03-24-2013, 04:20 PM
Dumervil and Suggs rushing Ben is just sick. That is an insane pass rush.

SteelersCanada
03-24-2013, 04:24 PM
Dumervil and Suggs rushing Ben is just sick. That is an insane pass rush.

That won't matter a whole lot when their starting safeties are Michael Huff and James Ighedibo.

Blacksburg Zach
03-24-2013, 04:40 PM

D. All of the above

So, have you done any or all of these things yet? Dumervil and the Ravens have agreed to a deal.

EDIT: Never mind, I don't want to know if you shared a fudge round or a warm fatty embrace with Woodley or not. :chuckle:

Steeldude
03-24-2013, 04:44 PM
That won't matter a whole lot when their starting safeties are Michael Huff and James Ighedibo.

BR isn't exactly known for quickly reading the field. He won't have much time. The Steelers do not have a LT and the RT spot isn't very good, yet.

blknpurplepainc
03-24-2013, 05:09 PM
WOW.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

fer522
03-24-2013, 05:36 PM
Kahn needs to get his head out of his ass and he needs to start managing all the contracts a hell of a lot better IMHO And I'm not saying this cos we couldn't get this guy but because we don't Even have any money to sign our own guys :banging:

White_Steel_Wolfe
03-24-2013, 05:37 PM
Good job Pittsburgh. Better hope the o-line is even average this year or we will get torn up.

BmoreStyles
03-24-2013, 05:41 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000153208/article/elvis-dumervil-headed-to-baltimore-ravens

5 yr deal. Still doesnt make up for all they lost tho but oh well

Everyone from the outside looking in is exaggerating our losses, honestly.

Take a closer look...

Kruger only showed up once Suggs came back. He had a strong second half to the season and he couldn't play the run at all.

Ellerbe is a solid run stopper, and is the 2nd biggest loss behind Boldin but by no means a centerpiece to build around and absolutely not worth the money he got from Miami.

Cary Williams... Nice guy... Won't be missed. Corey Graham was our best corner and Webb is coming back healthy.

Boldin hurts. No doubt. But Jacoby Jones and Torrey Smith are both very solid receivers.

Pollard was a huge hitter and solid in run support, but he got burned regularly and has an oppositional personality by most accounts.

Ray Lewis and Ed Reed were done. They were weak links at this stages in their careers. Ray's leadership qualities weren't stopping the 49ers from targeting him habitually in the Super Bowl.

People seem to forget that our defense was really bad last year. It was broke and it looks like we're trying to fix it. Boldin and Ellerbe are the only real losses, but Dumervil is better than both of them at this point in their careers. We have 12 picks in the draft to land a starter quality safety and receiver.

Purple kool-aid aside, I honestly feel like this move put us back as the favorites in the division.

defence
03-24-2013, 05:42 PM
Looks to me like the Steelers are in rebuild mode. I have no clue what there plans are. But they better be actve in trading down and stock piling picks cause they are sure gonna need the picks to just field players.

defence
03-24-2013, 05:44 PM
Everyone from the outside looking in is exaggerating our losses, honestly.

Take a closer look...

Kruger only showed up once Suggs came back. He had a strong second half to the season and he couldn't play the run at all.

Ellerbe is a solid run stopper, and is the 2nd biggest loss behind Boldin but by no means a centerpiece to build around and absolutely not worth the money he got from Miami.

Cary Williams... Nice guy... Won't be missed. Corey Graham was our best corner and Webb is coming back healthy.

Boldin hurts. No doubt.

Pollard was a huge hitter and solid in run support, but he got burned regularly and has an oppositional personality by most accounts.

Ray Lewis and Ed Reed were done. They were weak links at this stages in their careers. Ray's leadership tangibles weren't stopping the 49ers from targeting him habitually in the Super Bowl.

People seem to forget that our defense was really bad last year. It was broke and it looks like we're trying to fix it. Boldin and Ellerbe are the only real losses, but Dumervil is better than both of them at this point in their careers. We have 12 picks in the draft to land a starter quality safety and receiver.

Purple kool-aid aside, I honestly feel like this move put us back as the favorites in the division.

Got to agree with everything you say. Great pick up for you guys

pete74
03-24-2013, 05:44 PM

Just saying but that goes both ways. We don't have a pass rush plus they can say we have two old men at safety with one who is always injured

White_Steel_Wolfe
03-24-2013, 05:45 PM
Won't have a pass rush this year folks. Ben will probably get injured again and ruin any playoff hopes.

jjpro11
03-24-2013, 05:46 PM
Luckiest team in the league gets lucky again. Seriously, you can't make this shit up.. Ravens lose a very good pass rusher to free agency.. So what happens? A Pro Bowl pass rusher misses his contract deadline by a couple minutes and ends up falling right into the lap of the Ravens.

White_Steel_Wolfe
03-24-2013, 05:49 PM
Pittsburgh again blowing away an off-season. I sure hope they don't expect Woodley to even do half of what James Harrison did. After that fat contract he stopped giving a fuck, all he does is run at the mouth and never produces on the field.

SteelersCanada
03-24-2013, 06:09 PM
Just saying but that goes both ways. We don't have a pass rush plus they can say we have two old men at safety with one who is always injured

Ryan Clark is better than Ighedibo and Huff put together on his worst day. They can stack their front 7 all they want, but without any legitimate inside linebacker help or a secondary, they're in trouble. The only good thing they have going for them on defense is their outside pass rushers. Haloti Ngata seems to be injuring himself a bit over the last few years, too.

The Ravens lose 7 starters, get Dumervil and everyone loses their minds. The Steelers are rebuilding, we need to be like Baltimore, etc. I don't understand this mindset at all and never will but I guess one down season for such a spoiled fanbase makes sense.

Fire Haley
03-24-2013, 06:15 PM
Elvis Dumervil agrees to contract with Baltimore Ravens

Ravens agreed to terms with DE/OLB Elvis Dumervil, formerly of the Broncos, on a five-year contract worth up to $35M

The Broncos will try to replace Dumervil with Freeney, the former Indianapolis Colt and Peyton Manning teammate. Manning, who is now the Broncos' quarterback, turned 37 on Sunday but losing Dumervil to the Ravens may not be among his wishes.

Perhaps Freeney will be a nice consolation gift. Dumervil, 29, is four years younger than Freeney. And in the past two seasons, Dumervil has been more productive, registering 20 sacks to Freeney's 13 sacks in that period.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...ltimore-ravens

pete74
03-24-2013, 06:18 PM
Ryan Clark is better than Ighedibo and Huff put together on his worst day. They can stack their front 7 all they want, but without any legitimate inside linebacker help or a secondary, they're in trouble. The only good thing they have going for them on defense is their outside pass rushers. Haloti Ngata seems to be injuring himself a bit over the last few years, too.

The Ravens lose 7 starters, get Dumervil and everyone loses their minds. The Steelers are rebuilding, we need to be like Baltimore, etc. I don't understand this mindset at all and never will but I guess one down season for such a spoiled fanbase makes sense.

I'm not saying who is better then who, just saying that it works both ways. Clark is an old man in NFL terms. We lost just as much as they did even if we want to pretend like we didn't need our best Wr, best RB, best pass rusher and starting corner. All I'm saying is the Ravens got a very good pass rusher to go along with there very good one. They have two of the best defensive players in the NFL playing side by side

NSMaster56
03-24-2013, 06:29 PM
Apparently.

SteelersCanada
03-24-2013, 06:41 PM
I'm not saying who is better then who, just saying that it works both ways. Clark is an old man in NFL terms. We lost just as much as they did even if we want to pretend like we didn't need our best Wr, best RB, best pass rusher and starting corner. All I'm saying is the Ravens got a very good pass rusher to go along with there very good one. They have two of the best defensive players in the NFL playing side by side

Fair enough. When you compare what the guys they lost did last season and what our guys did, I think the scales tilt a little more toward the Ravens losing more than we did. They lost the two guys that have anchored that defense for over a decade, and we lost Mike Wallace and Rashard Mendenhall, both of whom did dick-all last year.

While I get what you're saying and agree that it works both ways, I just can't say that we lost the equivalent to what they did.

While they did gain a great pass rusher, Suggs is on the back 9 of his career and probably won't be around for a whole lot longer. This move tells me the kind of faith they have in Upshaw right now - if they're willing to give a guy 5 / year, they know they fucked up on a pick.

I feel like we could've given him a 5 year / 26 million dollar deal as well. Maybe we did and he just chose the Ravens, who knows, but I would've preferred Dumervil over guys like Keisel, Troy, Clark, etc.

BmoreStyles
03-24-2013, 07:13 PM
Fair enough. When you compare what the guys they lost did last season and what our guys did, I think the scales tilt a little more toward the Ravens losing more than we did. They lost the two guys that have anchored that defense for over a decade, and we lost Mike Wallace and Rashard Mendenhall, both of whom did dick-all last year.

While I get what you're saying and agree that it works both ways, I just can't say that we lost the equivalent to what they did.

While they did gain a great pass rusher, Suggs is on the back 9 of his career and probably won't be around for a whole lot longer. This move tells me the kind of faith they have in Upshaw right now - if they're willing to give a guy 5 / year, they know they fucked up on a pick.

I feel like we could've given him a 5 year / 26 million dollar deal as well. Maybe we did and he just chose the Ravens, who knows, but I would've preferred Dumervil over guys like Keisel, Troy, Clark, etc.

I can tell you as an honest observer that actually watches Ravens games that saying that we know we "Fucked up on a pick" as the reason for this move is completely ignorant of facts. First of all, nobody can make that kind of brash assessment of a pick after one year. Second, and more importantly, Upshaw was very solid in his rookie season. He showed a lot of promise and contributed big time down the stretch.

Dumervil is a unique type of athelete. He can play that hybrid DE/LB position similar to what Suggs does and there's still room for Upshaw. Getting Dumervil for a little more than half of what Paul Kruger just got from the Browns is too good of a deal to pass up.

JonM229
03-24-2013, 07:18 PM
Elvis Dumervil Agrees to Deal with Baltimore Ravens (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9092852/elvis-dumervil-agrees-deal-baltimore-ravens)

Elvis Dumervil has agreed to a multiyear contract with the Baltimore Ravens.

A league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that Dumervil's agreement is for five seasons and worth $35 million, including $8.5 million in Year 1.

Elvis Dumervil's deal with the Ravens ends a long, difficult nine-day stretch for both the star defensive end and the Denver Broncos, writes Bill Williamson. Blog

The star defensive end's agreement with Baltimore was earlier reported by the Denver Post.

Dumervil became a free agent earlier this month after he was released by the Denver Broncos when paperwork for his reworked contract didn't make it back in time to the team. He had agreed to reduce his salary from $12 million to $8 million for next season.

vasteeler
03-24-2013, 07:23 PM
Elvis Dumervil Agrees to Deal with Baltimore Ravens (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9092852/elvis-dumervil-agrees-deal-baltimore-ravens)

:banging::banging::banging::banging:

SteelersCanada
03-24-2013, 07:25 PM
I can tell you as an honest observer that actually watches Ravens games that saying that we know we "Fucked up on a pick" as the reason for this move is completely ignorant of facts. First of all, nobody can make that kind of brash assessment of a pick after one year. Second, and more importantly, Upshaw was very solid in his rookie season. He showed a lot of promise and contributed big time down the stretch.

Dumervil is a unique type of athelete. He can play that hybrid DE/LB position similar to what Suggs does and there's still room for Upshaw. Getting Dumervil for a little more than half of what Paul Kruger just got from the Browns is too good of a deal to pass up.

Right, they think so highly of Upshaw they were willing to go after Harrison and Dumervil instead of playing the cheaper that was already on the roster? Explain that to me. Harrison isn't a "unique athlete" at 35. He has knee and back problems but they were willing to give him a spot over Upshaw - why is that?

Ignorant of all facts. Hm, that's funny - let's point to the facts, shall we? In 16 games, he had 1.5 sacks and 60 total tackles. That screams to you a good rookie season? Remember when he filled in for Suggs and Ravens fans were freaking out at him for being unproductive? I do.

austinfrench76
03-24-2013, 07:28 PM
I was scrolling through the thread just reading along until I see people losing their minds over Elvis Dumervil. I mean, he wasn't even on anyone's radar until a week ago and only due to a snafu and a fax machine. So the Raven, who lost a fucking TON this off season (and not just players but the heart and freakin soul of their team - Ray Ray Knife Knife and Reed), and we have old men playing safety and the Ravens are now the class of the division again?! When did old become a bad tging? Too old is one thing but what we have is experience. And don't start with the Troy injuries. Ben gets injured too and he is "old" so it's not solely an age issue. C'mon boys. When do we ever do anything in Free Agency? I rarely agree with Tomlin but man is he right. That's March talk. See you all in June when camp opens and real things start to happen. And Fuck the Ravens and any one of their fans.^^^(unprovoked attack. I'm aware)

defence
03-24-2013, 07:30 PM

So what do you think they are doing if they are not rebuilding?? They finished 8 8 and lost a shit load of players and can't afford to sign anyone. It was a great pick up for the super bowl champs. No one is trying to compare to the ravens " we should do this or that" but the fact is this. We need a guy to replace Harrison and we have him; Woirlds!!! Dumerville would be great; but he is a Raven now and if you had to compare the 2; Ravens definately have the edge in that department. A lot of you guys here hate the Ravens. I don't like cause they are our rivals. But I respect them from a team stand point right to there front office.

SteelersCanada
03-24-2013, 07:41 PM
So what do you think they are doing if they are not rebuilding?? They finished 8 8 and lost a shit load of players and can't afford to sign anyone. It was a great pick up for the super bowl champs. No one is trying to compare to the ravens " we should do this or that" but the fact is this. We need a guy to replace Harrison and we have him; Woirlds!!! Dumerville would be great; but he is a Raven now and if you had to compare the 2; Ravens definately have the edge in that department. A lot of you guys here hate the Ravens. I don't like cause they are our rivals. But I respect them from a team stand point right to there front office.

What do I think they're doing? They're letting the infusion of youth they already have on their team play. We cut Harrison because he had a cap hit of 10 million dollars and wasn't willing to take a pay cut. This is somehow a bad thing? Explain that to me.

We finished 8-8 - no one is dancing around that. The FO, Mike and even fans aren't dancing around that point. If you lose your cool and freak out about it like you are, though, you're going to make things worse on yourself. Remember 2009? Think back to 2009 for a second when we heard all of this before.

When and where did I compare Worilds to Dumervil? That is not only an unfair comparison, but a flat out stupid one. Obviously they have the better outside Linebacker out of those two, but if we draft someone like Jarvis Jones, I'd like our 1/2 punch of a 21 year old and a 28 year old over two 30 year olds.

We "lost a shit load of players" because we never overpay for anyone. When we were about to overpay for Harrison, he got cut. This isn't rocket surgery here guys and the freaking out and Raven dickriding is laughable. "That's March talk". Mike Wallace agreed to 12 million a year. Lewis wanted to go play in his hometown. Mendenhall is doing his own thing which will probably result in him fumbling the ball a couple of times.

We're not in trouble. Get off the ledge.

defence
03-24-2013, 07:56 PM
What do I think they're doing? They're letting the infusion of youth they already have on their team play. We cut Harrison because he had a cap hit of 10 million dollars and wasn't willing to take a pay cut. This is somehow a bad thing? Explain that to me.

We finished 8-8 - no one is dancing around that. The FO, Mike and even fans aren't dancing around that point. If you lose your cool and freak out about it like you are, though, you're going to make things worse on yourself. Remember 2009? Think back to 2009 for a second when we heard all of this before.

When and where did I compare Worilds to Dumervil? That is not only an unfair comparison, but a flat out stupid one. Obviously they have the better outside Linebacker out of those two, but if we draft someone like Jarvis Jones, I'd like our 1/2 punch of a 21 year old and a 28 year old over two 30 year olds.

We "lost a shit load of players" because we never overpay for anyone. When we were about to overpay for Harrison, he got cut. This isn't rocket surgery here guys and the freaking out and Raven dickriding is laughable. "That's March talk". Mike Wallace agreed to 12 million a year. Lewis wanted to go play in his hometown. Mendenhall is doing his own thing which will probably result in him fumbling the ball a couple of times.

We're not in trouble. Get off the ledge.

First off. I don't lose my cool. I really don't care. I love my Steelers but you have to be realistic too. "Raven dick riding" WOW!! You are hilarious!! A good vacation would resove a lot of your issues. I have faith in the front office will turn this team around and point us in the right direction. If not this year; then in the near future. Try Cuba; all inclusive should do you well!! AYE!!

BmoreStyles
03-24-2013, 08:01 PM
Right, they think so highly of Upshaw they were willing to go after Harrison and Dumervil instead of playing the cheaper that was already on the roster? Explain that to me. Harrison isn't a "unique athlete" at 35. He has knee and back problems but they were willing to give him a spot over Upshaw - why is that?

Ignorant of all facts. Hm, that's funny - let's point to the facts, shall we? In 16 games, he had 1.5 sacks and 60 total tackles. That screams to you a good rookie season? Remember when he filled in for Suggs and Ravens fans were freaking out at him for being unproductive? I do.

Settle down.

Watching him every game of the season is what makes me say he had a productive rookie season and showed a lot of promise. You and I both know the numbers don't tell the whole story, especially when we're known for bringing players along slowly in terms of playing time, just like the Steelers. Objectively speaking, Upshaw didn't show anything to say he's not going to develop into another solid Ravens linebacker.

OliverPoop
03-24-2013, 10:00 PM
Sugar coat it all you like folks but the Ravens are still in a better position than the Steelers with this signing.

......waiting for the first post to go tell me to root for the Ravens.

White_Steel_Wolfe
03-24-2013, 10:10 PM
Sugar coat it all you like folks but the Ravens are still in a better position than the Steelers with this signing.

......waiting for the first post to go tell me to root for the Ravens.

Root for the Ravens...

PhantomJB93
03-24-2013, 10:31 PM
Damn, I was so happy with how the Ratbirds offseason was going, then they had to go and ruin it with a great FA signing...at least this means I'll never have to see James Harrison in shitty purple now.

RavenManiac
03-24-2013, 10:43 PM
Our losses have definitely been overstated, but we have had losses. And many of them are still unfilled.

Left Tackle is the biggest one. Oher at left tackle = rushed Flacco. Rushed Flacco = average QB at best.

Safeties are next. Ihedigbo is average; not horrific, but average. Then who? Huff would be nice, and that is saying something about the alternatives, and I am not sure we can afford him now. The alternatives are completely untested in any way.

WR is another. Boldin was a bit slow, but he could occasionally enter beast mode. Jones does not fill Boldin's role, he is more like Torrey Smith. Tandon Doss fills Boldin's role? Totally untested.

I am actually not that worried about ILBs, because we have decent track record and farm system at that position, but they may need a year to get it together.

Plus, the elephant in the room, and it has been mentioned by others, is the leadership. "Knife knife" Lewis, as he is known around here, kept things together on the field, even if he was slower and weaker in his old age. He recognized formations, got guys in position, was a coach on the field. Without someone taking over that role, the defense could be an unorganized mess. Not saying that is a definite, but certainly possible.

As for you guys, you just need to stay healthy. Next year more than ever. Healthy Steelers = competing for division. That is just a simple fact. And I am not sold on Cincy at all; they are better for sure, and can compete, but not sure they are over any kind of hump. Cleveland will be better for sure, but their QB, I think, makes them a non-starter in terms of winning the division.

I do like our Dumervil signing, but as people have said, he doesn't miraculously fill all of our new holes from this offseason. Not even close.

OliverPoop
03-24-2013, 10:44 PM
Damn, I was so happy with how the Ratbirds offseason was going, then they had to go and ruin it with a great FA signing...at least this means I'll never have to see James Harrison in shitty purple now.

Hopefully. You never know they still could sign him.

Steeldude
03-25-2013, 12:18 AM
We "lost a shit load of players" because we never overpay for anyone.

They don't? See Woodley. That absurd contract is hurting the Steelers, not helping.

Justp94
03-25-2013, 12:51 AM
They don't? See Woodley. That absurd contract is hurting the Steelers, not helping.

All the good players in the NFL are overpayed... and Woodley, at the time, was good enough to warrant such a deal, but now he's regressed and unless he has a stellar year to redeem himself, he should be on the chopping block after the 2013 season.

Buddha Bus
03-25-2013, 03:24 AM
I see him re-signing with Denver unless something unexpected happens where the Ravens can outbid them and I don't think they can at this point without swinging the bloody ax yet again.

Good call, idiot. :doh:

Galax Steeler
03-25-2013, 03:40 AM
Good call, idiot. :doh:

:finger:

Steeldude
03-25-2013, 03:57 AM
All the good players in the NFL are overpayed... and Woodley, at the time, was good enough to warrant such a deal, but now he's regressed and unless he has a stellar year to redeem himself, he should be on the chopping block after the 2013 season.

Key word being "good". That contract was bad from the start.

If Woodley is such a pass rushing demon then why not move him to the right? It's because he can't go against a LT. he is better suited going up against TEs and RBs

I don't think the Steelers can cut him in 2014. I believe he will leave a lot of dead money due to the 2013 restructure. IMO, I would have cut him this year and bit the bullet. The Steelers need to clean up these contracts. For example, why is Kiesel still on the team? What is the point of drafting players if they don't use them? Kiesel is a liability against the run and has been for quite awhile. Is he buddy of Tomlin's?

Buddha Bus
03-25-2013, 06:28 AM
I'm hoping that this signing turns out as successfully for the Ravens as the last guy named Elvis that they signed.

Fire Haley
03-25-2013, 07:44 AM
Looks like this pushes Harrison to the bargain basement rack.

Swallow your pride and come home James, for vet minimum

JonM229
03-25-2013, 09:57 AM
Elvis Dumervil for less money than Paul Kruger is making in Cleveland? I'll take it!