PDA

View Full Version : Our Roster AS OF NOW

ETL
03-17-2013, 10:41 AM
Below is our current off-season roster. We have a total of 61 players (28 offense, 29 defense, 4 special teams) at this time. We can have up to 90 (i think) before preseason starts. Assuming anotther 15-18 players from the draft and rookie free agents, we still have some spots to fill.

I bolded the players who I think can possibly (emphasis on "possibly") make an NFL 53 roster. They do NOT necessarily represent the players that I want the Steelers to keep.

One comment: I am ok with our CB situation. Van Dyke is raw but has potential and if Ike is healthy -he's a top CB in the league.

QB (3): Roethlisberger, Gradkowski, Parker Wilson
RB (2): Dwyer, Batch
FB (2): David Johnson, Will Johnson
TE (5): Miller, Paulson, Spaeth, McCoy, Pianalto
WR (7): Brown, Crotchery, Burress, Gilbreath, Reed, Moye, Moore
C (1): Pouncey
G (4): DeCastro, Foster, Malecki, Cheadle
T (4): Adams, Gilbert, Beechum, Long

DT (2): Ta'Amu, Fangupo
DL (4): Keisel, Hood, Heyward, Woods
OLB: (3) Woodley, Worilds, Carter
ILB: (7): Timmons, Foote, Spence, Robinson, McFadden, Wilson, Rolle
CB (7): Taylor, Allen, Brown, Gay, Van Dyke, Victorian, Ventrone, Green
S (6): Polamalu, Clark Golden, Cromartie-Smith, King

K (2): Suisham, Hrapmann
P (1): Butler
LS (1): Warren

steelfury02
03-17-2013, 11:21 AM
if Miller is out an extended period of time as some are speculating (november to december) then we've not only lost a chunk of TDs and first downs, but we've also lost a great blocker

RB, TE, and DL look bleak as of right now IMO

Steeldude
03-17-2013, 11:29 AM
if Miller is out an extended period of time as some are speculating (november to december) then we've not only lost a chunk of TDs and first downs, but we've also lost a great blocker

RBs and the DL are fine. ILB, OLB and safety are the main concerns.

AgentGold007
03-17-2013, 01:50 PM
Looks like a Superbowl winning roster to me! Seven Heaven here we come! Yipee!

WVABE
03-17-2013, 02:12 PM
Where's Charlie on that list? How the hell are we suppose to beat the Ratbirds?

The_Joker
03-17-2013, 02:14 PM

Sneeze on them :chuckle:

Blacksburg Zach
03-17-2013, 02:16 PM

The Steelers can't beat the Ravens. The Ravens have the greatest quarterback in the NFL in Joe Flacco. The Steelers don't stand a chance. :chuckle:

steeltheone
03-17-2013, 02:57 PM

RB's fine? Even if you think they are, they both have not been able to stay healthy

McClendon has never taken a majority of the snaps...Ta'amu could be facing jail time.

Hood and Heyward should be fine. I hope they play Heyward hard. we need to see what he can do.

It worries me that they are going to keep keisel at that salary ( way to much) that probably means they will play him more than they should.

harrison'samonster
03-17-2013, 03:07 PM
I think if our O-line stays healthy and we draft a RB, we could be fine in the running game. Dwyer needs better conditioning.

I would also like to see more of Heyward. And I also believe Hood is going to be fine.

What do you all think of Robert Golden? Clark and Polamalu are getting older and the injuries are starting to add up.

casteeler
03-17-2013, 03:24 PM
I'll probably get flamed but here goes. I think the Steelers should take a chance and use their #1 on Eddie Lacy, Lacy is guy that could make a massive impact on this team offensive due to the fact is big,strong,runs the ball well and he also made some great catches out of the backfield for big gains.If the Steelers pass on him I don't think he'll be there in the second round. Haley's offense will work but the pieces need to be there and physical,athletic backs, big WRs and TEs will be necessary. Ben needs to be able to hand the ball off and get some pressure off him and watching some video of the top backs Lacy seems to fit perfectly

Sharkissle29
03-17-2013, 03:27 PM
I think if our O-line stays healthy and we draft a RB, we could be fine in the running game. Dwyer needs better conditioning.

I would also like to see more of Heyward. And I also believe Hood is going to be fine.

What do you all think of Robert Golden? Clark and Polamalu are getting older and the injuries are starting to add up.

I saw that Dwyer is down in Florida already training for the offseason. I am a big fan of Golden, it seems like the Steelers are comfortable letting Mundy walk.

harrison'samonster
03-17-2013, 03:28 PM
I would have no problem with Lacy. I think as far as our offense goes, getting the running game working and getting pressure off of Ben.

EDIT: sorry, forgot to finish my thought. Getting pressure off Ben would be good.

Steelers5895
03-17-2013, 09:24 PM
I like the Lacy pick, but not at 17. not many teams behind us need a rb so we could trade down and still get him. the issue is, a rb can be had in rd 3 or 4.

TheVet
03-18-2013, 12:14 AM
And RB is not on our list of top problems.

Hawaii 5-0
03-18-2013, 12:31 AM
And RB is not on our list of top problems.

Tomlin seems to think so:

"As for the players to come, Tomlin said emphatically the Steelers must add a running back. Ahmad Bradshaw, a former 1,000-yard rusher with the Giants, is reportedly interested in them."

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3656050-74/tomlin-team-steelers#ixzz2NrJfVEgN

TheVet
03-18-2013, 12:46 AM
To me, it's not a top problem because it's not that hard to find serviceable RBs. Similar with WRs. I'm worried about infrastructure positions: LB, OL and DL. And now CB, too, unfortunately. In all those categories, we don't have a full complement of proven starters, let along depth. And S is looking rather scarey as well.

steeltheone
03-18-2013, 03:45 AM
To me, it's not a top problem because it's not that hard to find serviceable RBs. Similar with WRs. I'm worried about infrastructure positions: LB, OL and DL. And now CB, too, unfortunately. In all those categories, we don't have a full complement of proven starters, let along depth. And S is looking rather scarey as well.
We couldn't find serviceable backs last year. They were hurt one after another week to week.

tanda10506
03-18-2013, 04:43 AM
Wasn't Ta'Amu cut? I keep seeing him mentioned as a current player, but I thought he had been cut after his arrest, am I incorrect?

wwhickok
03-18-2013, 05:51 AM
I think Malecki will make the roster and maybe I over estimate him but I think Moye could too.

As of right now I would say RB would easily be our biggest need. However, I would draft OLB/WR in round 1.

Fire Haley
03-18-2013, 06:47 AM
Wasn't Ta'Amu cut? I keep seeing him mentioned as a current player, but I thought he had been cut after his arrest, am I incorrect?

released and then signed to practice squad

Ta’amu quietly lands on Steelers’ practice squad

Ta’amu quietly has been added to the team’s practice squad, without press release or Twitter announcement or fanfare of any kind.

The team previously suspended Ta’amu two games without pay after his arrest.

Ta’amu remains free to sign with any team’s 53-man roster. Given that no one claimed him on waivers, however, it’s unlikely that he’ll be surfacing elsewhere

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/14/taamu-quietly-lands-on-steelers-practice-squad/

steelfury02
03-18-2013, 06:52 AM

Can't agree - starters got blown off the ball repeatedly - I will say the depth is unproven so ok, I'll reserve judgement

RBs is def not fine - I don't think we need to reach very high to improve it though

EDIT: It went from Bettis to Parker to Mendy to Stable - that is a general decline over the past 5-6 seasons for a myriad of reasons. We need to get back to having someone to take the pressure off.

TheVet
03-18-2013, 03:33 PM
We couldn't find serviceable backs last year. They were hurt one after another week to week. The backs are out there, even if we're not particularly adept at picking them in the draft. Now, Dwyer and Redman are perfectly fine backs (even though you disagree), but that's not enough, of course - too thin at the position. When our offense figures out how to open holes for our running game, you're gonna love whatever back we have, and you won't even know why. But you'll be cheering with beer and towel in hand!

:tt02::tt03:

harrison'samonster
03-18-2013, 03:35 PM
Dwyer and Redman are perfectly fine backs, even though you disagree. When our offense figures out how to open holes for our running game, you're gonna love whatever back we have, and you won't even know why. But you'll be cheering with beer and towel in hand!

:tt02::tt03:

Hope so! :tt03:

BlaZeQuietly
03-18-2013, 04:23 PM

He will be, he tore his MCL and ACL, I had the SAME INJURY, and im younger than he is and it took a year for me to even throw a pitch at nearly 100%, trust me theres no way he comes back before december NO WAY.

harrison'samonster
03-18-2013, 05:53 PM
He will be, he tore his MCL and ACL, I had the SAME INJURY, and im younger than he is and it took a year for me to even throw a pitch at nearly 100%, trust me theres no way he comes back before december NO WAY.

I've got to agree. I expect to see little of Miller on the field this year. Hopefully I'm wrong and he can be back by weeks 4-8 though.

harrison'samonster
03-18-2013, 05:55 PM
I think Malecki will make the roster and maybe I over estimate him but I think Moye could too.

As of right now I would say RB would easily be our biggest need. However, I would draft OLB/WR in round 1.

I like Malecki as well. If we don't resign Legursky, who will play back-up center? Hopefully the problem never comes up.

ETL
03-18-2013, 07:39 PM
The Hartwig Rule: We won a super bowl with Justin Hartwig as our center. In other words - anything is possible as long as we have Ben

steeltheone
03-18-2013, 08:03 PM
The Hartwig Rule: We won a super bowl with Justin Hartwig as our center. In other words - anything is possible as long as we have Ben

Hartwig was solid, we have had lots worse.

Hawaii 5-0
03-18-2013, 08:15 PM
Hartwig was solid, we have had lots worse.

Hartings was solid, Hartwig was below average and Mahan just outright sucked...

wwhickok
03-19-2013, 05:30 AM
I like Malecki as well. If we don't resign Legursky, who will play back-up center? Hopefully the problem never comes up.

Very valid point. My guess is that theyre waiting to see how the draft plays out. I cant imagine they dont bring him back.