PDA

View Full Version : Steelers made late play for Jake Long

Vis
03-18-2013, 06:52 AM
When an NFL team from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania makes a late play on a free agent, that team typically comes from the Philadelphia area. With tackle Jake Long (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4712/jake-long), the 11th-hour effort originated in Pittsburgh.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the Steelers “made a play (https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/313610159907799041)” to get Long, just before he agreed to terms with the Rams.

Of course, it’s hard to make a serious play without cap room. And the Steelers don’t have much of it. So while it’s nice that the Steelers showed some interest in improving an area of the team that has been in recent years its weakest, it’s impossible to close the deal without the ability to fit the contract under the annual per-team spending limit.

The fact that they jumped in to the Long chase could mean that the Steelers will “make a play” for tackles Andre Smith or Sebastian Vollmer (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5313/sebastian-vollmer), whose status was believed to be in limbo while the Long deal was worked out. Absent cap space, however, the only guy they’ll be able to get is Max Starks (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1691/max-starks) on another one-year minimum deal.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/18/steelers-made-late-play-for-jake-long/

pete74
03-18-2013, 07:03 AM
Heard this on the NFL network. I guess we're not to keen on Gilbert manning the left tackle spot. I would of loved to of got him

Fire Haley
03-18-2013, 07:10 AM
This is becoming embarassing.

Like the Browns begging star players to come to Cleveland and they decline.

Please come back Max, we need you, cheap

steelfury02
03-18-2013, 07:42 AM
This is becoming embarassing.

Like the Browns begging star players to come to Cleveland and they decline.

Please come back Max, we need you, cheap

interesting thought Killer - I actually started wondering if some players are seeing the Steelers on the decline and aren't liking some of the moves they make and wonder if the staff will be in transition a lot too (even if it isn't true)

I 120% agree with you on Max - this is really a fine line between letting go of dead weight and realizing that what's behind the tried and true is just well, trying . . .

Fire Haley
03-18-2013, 07:53 AM
I guess we're not to keen on Gilbert manning the left tackle spot.

the word is out

It's extremely interesting, as it shows a lack of faith in Marcus Gilbert and Mike Adams, and indicates the Steelers aren't as hard up for cap space as the public perception. Any Long deal would have been majorly backloaded, but perhaps the Steelers are finally ready to start adding players instead of shedding them. For now, Gilbert is expected to open 2013 as Pittsburgh's left tackle.

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football

SteelersCanada
03-18-2013, 08:12 AM
I'm fairly confident in saying this was just a way to check market value for the rest of the tackles that are currently free agents. I do think that we have legitimate interest in signing Dumerville though.

pete74
03-18-2013, 08:28 AM
I'm fairly confident in saying this was just a way to check market value for the rest of the tackles that are currently free agents. I do think that we have legitimate interest in signing Dumerville though.

Why not just wait and see what he gets after he signs if that's your only concern? They wanted him but couldn't afford him. Period.

SteelersCanada
03-18-2013, 08:42 AM
Why not just wait and see what he gets after he signs if that's your only concern? They wanted him but couldn't afford him. Period.

If they know ahead of time what his market value is, they can use it as a bargaining chip for guys like Vollmer or Smith. Do you think once they found out what is was going to take to pay them, they weighed the pro's and con's vs. Dumervil? I do. They probably realized that if anyone is going to get 8.5 a year, they're more comfortable and willing to give that to someone like Dumervil than a Tackle position in which they've invested multiple second round picks on the last couple of years.

Is there something we're all missing right now from the current salary cap situation that is permitting them to go after guys like Long and Elvis? Are they going to make more big cuts to sign these guys? I feel like I'm missing something here.

AgentGold007
03-18-2013, 09:44 AM
I don't think it's so much a mistrust in Gilbert ability to play left tackle as it is a mistrust in his ability to stay healthy. I can't remember one game since he's been with the Steelers that he hasn't come hobbling off the field at some point in time.

OX1947
03-18-2013, 10:05 AM
Please god, not Andre Smith. Knock knees and breasts dont belong....

teegre
03-18-2013, 10:05 AM
Is there something we're all missing right now from the current salary cap situation that is permitting them to go after guys like Long and Elvis? Are they going to make more big cuts to sign these guys? I feel like I'm missing something here.

The Steelers had to be in cap compliance by March 12... and they were.

Now, it is the 2013-14 season.

From this point forward, they can add players... and cut other players (in order to make room), as long as they are in cap compliance by next March.

For example, the cut Harrison to get under the cap. He "can" resign, and the Steelers have a season to figure how to get the money for him (most likely by cutting someone else... or, via money from cutting The Colon). The risk is/was that Harrison could have signed elsewhere.

Back to Dumervil & Long. If one of them signs, it is for the 2013 season, and the Steelers have many months to figure out how to fit that salary under the 2014 cap.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-18-2013, 10:49 AM
Steelers are not going to pay big money for free agents. They will try and find bargains once the initial frenzy has stopped and that is what is going on now. They are keeping in touch with guys in case nobody is ready to spend big money on who is left on the market.

Expect to see them look at ILB, OLB and WR's that are reasonably priced without a team.

wwhickok
03-18-2013, 11:07 AM
At LT, I really could see them making an unusual push for Vollmer

ebsteelers
03-18-2013, 11:13 AM
heres another one no way we had a shot of getting him..
i heard we offered him season tickets to the pirates as part of his pay check!!

wwhickok
03-18-2013, 11:26 AM
The Steelers reportedly have cleares around $23M in cap space. I'm not so sure that had the Steelers not waited until the last minute thatbit's true to say we had no shot.

ebsteelers
03-18-2013, 11:43 AM
anyone know how much under the cap we currently are?

tony hipchest
03-18-2013, 11:54 AM
gilbert is a knucklehead who will be looking to bolt from pgh as soon as his rookie contract expires. y'all think wallace and lewis couldnt get out of the burgh quick enough? atleast they pretended to like it there.

gilbert's already got miami nightlife on tha gangsta mind.

i say we just quit drafting players from florida and the dirty south.

Fire Haley
03-18-2013, 11:56 AM
The Steelers reportedly have cleares around $23M in cap space. I'm not so sure that had the Steelers not waited until the last minute thatbit's true to say we had no shot.

cleared yes

that gets us under now, Colon 's deal will add anothor $5M after June 1st to sign the rookies or whatever

What's left is about $2.5 - $3M under the cap to play with from what I've read

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/3/15/4106694/NFL-salary-cap-free-agency-steelers-2013-transactions

wwhickok
03-18-2013, 11:57 AM

Reportedly somewhere about $23M under the cap. According to an article on ESPN.

Fire Haley
03-18-2013, 11:58 AM
Reportedly somewhere about $23M under the cap. According to an article on ESPN.

not UNDER - that's cleared - from the $25M we were OVER

tony hipchest
03-18-2013, 12:02 PM
anyone know how much under the cap we currently are?about 3 mil i think (could be more with the enema... i mean release of colon).

Fire Haley
03-18-2013, 12:08 PM
about 3 mil i think .

parrot

bawk

What's left is about $2.5 - $3M under the cap to play with from what I've read

wwhickok
03-18-2013, 12:08 PM
about 3 mil i think (could be more with the enema... i mean release of colon).

Pretty sure its ALOT more than $3M. We had to get under the cap prior to the deadline. Now the Salaries of those who are no longer in our team, Hampton, Starks, Mundy, etc no longer count against our cap.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=afcnorth&id=67324 read the second to last paragraph.

Fire Haley
03-18-2013, 12:16 PM
Pretty sure its ALOT more than $3M..

pretty sure you're dead wrong

why don't you just read the godammed link I provided - it gave all the specifics

maybe somebody can translate it in crayon for you if you need help

Fire Haley
03-18-2013, 12:22 PM
MarkKaboly_Trib This is how I figure #Steelers interest in Jake Long went:
Colbert: How about 2yr, 5M.
Long: No.

sounds about right

steelfury02
03-18-2013, 12:24 PM
hope the mods don't mind me throwing in an idea - what about a free agency status that appears at the top right with "official" cap numbers, I dunno - you can't spell everything out for everyone but there seems to be a lot of confusion about cap numbers, contract numbers v. what players will actually get, up front money, etc . . .just a thought

ebsteelers
03-18-2013, 12:33 PM
hope the mods don't mind me throwing in an idea - what about a free agency status that appears at the top right with "official" cap numbers, I dunno - you can't spell everything out for everyone but there seems to be a lot of confusion about cap numbers, contract numbers v. what players will actually get, up front money, etc . . .just a thought

would be defintely useful since the number changes frequently..

i kind of thought 23 million was way off or we would of been able to sign some dudes.

2 or 3 million seems reasonable to get some depth

Fire Haley
03-18-2013, 12:37 PM
last good numbers I've seen

Steelers $2.7M under

http://www.spotrac.com/cap-tracker/nfl/2013/

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/cap-hit/

fer522
03-18-2013, 12:53 PM
last good numbers I've seen

Steelers $2.7M under

http://www.spotrac.com/cap-tracker/nfl/2013/

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/cap-hit/

Thats draft money and a bag of Cheetos
:banging:

Fire Haley
03-18-2013, 12:56 PM

We'll get another $5M in June from Colon being cut, don't need to pay draft picks till later

wwhickok
03-18-2013, 01:21 PM
pretty sure you're dead wrong

why don't you just read the godammed link I provided - it gave all the specifics

maybe somebody can translate it in crayon for you if you need help

I have something you can right in Crayon.

Btw, you are right and I was busy at work but on my way back to admit that i read the two separate articles incorrectly and that it had been a long weekend, and it aoet of slipped my mind that 16M of that was OVER the cap.

I would apologize but...given the nature of your classless douche-like response, it doesnt deserve an apology.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-18-2013, 01:32 PM
gilbert is a knucklehead who will be looking to bolt from pgh as soon as his rookie contract expires. y'all think wallace and lewis couldnt get out of the burgh quick enough? atleast they pretended to like it there.

gilbert's already got miami nightlife on tha gangsta mind.

i say we just quit drafting players from florida and the dirty south.

Tony, did I miss something and this is being rumored on Twitter or something? I thought he is a good young talent, but maybe I dont know the whole truth on this one.

Going to be a good OT at #17, but not sure we can spend another pick on O line.

Fire Haley
03-18-2013, 01:33 PM
I have something you can right in Crayon.

Btw, you are right and I was busy at work but on my way back to admit that i read the two separate articles incorrectly and that it had been a long weekend, and it aoet of slipped my mind that 16M of that was OVER the cap.

I would apologize but...given the nature of your classless douche-like response, it doesnt deserve an apology.

oh my, you mad?

you were the one screaming...

STEELERS ARE $23 MILLION UNDER THE CAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you called me a liar and I corrected you with facts - deal with it

steelfury02
03-18-2013, 01:37 PM
just an honest question so I can understand how other people are thinking - how did you get to 23 mil under the cap?

I get the 2-3 mil plus 5 with Colon released

so, are we looking at 8 mil under the cap as best case scenario before draft signings or am I wrong - if so, you can tell me (nicely perhaps!)

my favorite Crayon is the Pastel Clear - you know, the one you use on Easter Eggs to make designs before you dip them in the paint?:chuckle:

wwhickok
03-18-2013, 01:39 PM
oh my, you mad?

you were the one screaming...
STEELERS ARE $23 MILLION UNDER THE CAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you called me a liar and I corrected you with facts - deal with it

First of all i didnt even pretend to yell. Secondly nope Im not mad. But you definitely remind me of someone. You provided a good laugh. I also didnt call you a liar i.said i was pretty sure and then realized my thought process was.incorrect so i came back to correct myself. Im not the on acting lime a child and postingjackassery in the largest caps possible. GG

wwhickok
03-18-2013, 01:42 PM
just an honest question so I can understand how other people are thinking - how did you get to 23 mil under the cap?

I get the 2-3 mil plus 5 with Colon released

so, are we looking at 8 mil under the cap as best case scenario before draft signings or am I wrong - if so, you can tell me (nicely perhaps!)

my favorite Crayon is the Pastel Clear - you know, the one you use on Easter Eggs to make designs before you dip them in the paint?:chuckle:

I was reading an ESPN Article while reading this.on another screen. I misinterpreted it, not thinking at the time about having been so far over the cap, aka blonde moment.

Fire Haley
03-18-2013, 01:51 PM
I'd almost bet your were reading that fucking Jamie Hensley, he's an idiot

I forgive you for being confused

wwhickok
03-18-2013, 01:52 PM
I'd almost bet your were reading that fucking Jamie Hensley, he's an idiot

I forgive you for being confused

Its water under the bridge, i had a blonde moment and yes..Hensley is an idiot...and a MAJOR baltimore homer who should NOT be writkng anything about the afc north.

Fire Haley
03-18-2013, 01:56 PM
well since my glorious fact finding post is now buried - i'll start a new thread on the salary cap numbers

harrison'samonster
03-18-2013, 02:11 PM

there's a lot you can do with a bag of cheetos.

King-Baiting, King's just can't resist that cheesey crunch

Bill Walsh once used Doritos to draw up a play on the sidelines. That play won the 49ers their first SB

In a little known back-room trade, a bag of doritos was used to secure Ryan Sanchez as a New York Jet. Sanchez sucked, but that bag of Doritos became an enjoyable afternoon snack at training camp that year.

6RINGS
03-18-2013, 02:23 PM
How about they hold their own drafting accountable. They all looking in free agency, because their drafting has SUCKED.

6RINGS
03-18-2013, 02:27 PM
Can someone tell me who on the team is occupying all of the cap room? We have lost so many guys and we are just 2.7 mil under.

harrison'samonster
03-18-2013, 02:30 PM
Can someone tell me who on the team is occupying all of the cap room? We have lost so many guys and we are just 2.7 mil under.

Off the top of my head, the top three are:

Roethlisberger
Woodley
Polamalu

I know there have been better posts on this though

pete74
03-18-2013, 02:32 PM
Off the top of my head, the top three are:

Roethlisberger
Woodley
Polamalu

I know there have been better posts on this though

And Taylor and Timmons

Steelers>NFL
03-18-2013, 02:35 PM
alot of dead money for this year because of restructures. Right?

Hawaii 5-0
03-18-2013, 03:03 PM

Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib:

Wanna know how not to do it ... Cards have $12.4M in dead money per @mikejurecki for 2013.

Steelers have $5.5 with most coming from Harrison

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib

Hawaii 5-0
03-18-2013, 03:08 PM

Raiders have $26.6M in dead money this year. The Steelers $5.5M.

#JustSayin

teegre
03-18-2013, 03:14 PM
As I have mentioned before:

1) If the cap had gone up like it was originally supposed to, the Steelers would have been fine (they had planned right up to the last cent). The cap did not go up (it flat-lined for two seasons), and thus, cuts had to be made.

2). Who should the Steelers have not given contracts to? If Troy had left, people would have been screaming "WTF!?!" Yes, he is getting a lot of money NOW, but that is because he pusheed his salary back... in order to help sign Timmons... who pushed his salary towards the end fo his contract... in order to sign AB... who will push his salary back, in order to resign Pouncey...

3. Good teams have good players, and they cost money. It's easy for Tampa Bay to sign Vincent Jackosn to a 5 year/$55 million contract... because they had NO ONE else that they needed to resign.

Steelers>NFL
03-18-2013, 03:17 PM

Raiders have $26.6M in dead money this year. The Steelers $5.5M.

#JustSayin

Raiders don't count. You can not ever compare the Steelers to the Raiders...

Steeldude
03-18-2013, 03:39 PM
the word is out

It's extremely interesting, as it shows a lack of faith in Marcus Gilbert and Mike Adams, and indicates the Steelers aren't as hard up for cap space as the public perception. Any Long deal would have been majorly backloaded, but perhaps the Steelers are finally ready to start adding players instead of shedding them. For now, Gilbert is expected to open 2013 as Pittsburgh's left tackle.

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football

The numbers don't lie. The Steelers have a serious cap problem.

TheVet
03-18-2013, 03:40 PM
Heard this on the NFL network. I guess we're not to keen on Gilbert manning the left tackle spot. I would of loved to of got him

Exactly. After watching his big second year regression, how could anyone feel confident about this guy?

Steeldude
03-18-2013, 03:41 PM

Cutting Harrison and Colon caused dead cap money.

Steeldude
03-18-2013, 03:43 PM
The Steelers probably offered Long a 3-year 3 million dollar contract.

The Steelers will go into 2013 without a LT. Surprising? Not at all

tony hipchest
03-18-2013, 03:43 PM
Tony, did I miss something and this is being rumored on Twitter or something? I thought he is a good young talent, but maybe I dont know the whole truth on this one.

Going to be a good OT at #17, but not sure we can spend another pick on O line.thats just my own personal take based on following him.

i hope im wrong. i just dont get the sense that he is dedicated to the fans or the team like i do from just about every other steeler player.

i get the sense that he is dedicated to the "living in the fast lane" lifestyle and the money, regardless of where it comes from.

i consider him like plaxico burress vol. I. plex seems much more appreciative of the team and his surroundings the 2nd time around. i guess maturing will do that to some people.

teegre
03-18-2013, 03:50 PM
thats just my own personal take based on following him.

i hope im wrong. i just dont get the sense that he is dedicated to the fans or the team like i do from just about every other steeler player.

i get the sense that he is dedicated to the "living in the fast lane" lifestyle and the money, regardless of where it comes from.

i consider him like plaxico burress vol. I. plex seems much more appreciative of the team and his surroundings the 2nd time around. i guess maturing will do that to some people.

Plus, Gilbert DISAPPEARED this season after his injury.

Hawaii 5-0
03-18-2013, 04:03 PM
Cutting Harrison and Colon caused dead cap money.

only cutting Harrison caused dead cap money for this year.

because we designated Colon as a post June 1 cut, his dead money will count against next year's cap.

FrancoLambert
03-18-2013, 04:05 PM
Exactly. After watching his big second year regression, how could anyone feel confident about this guy?

Re. Gilbert

I agree. Many pegged him as sure-fire starter this year.
What was it based on? I thought he sucked most of the time.

Hawaii 5-0
03-18-2013, 04:07 PM
Re. Gilbert

I agree. Many pegged him as sure-fire starter this year.
What was it based on? I thought he sucked most of the time.

Gilbert absolutely destroys people.

problem is, they are his own teammates...:doh:

sloppyjoe
03-18-2013, 04:34 PM
i call BS again. where would the money have come from......cutting ben?

Hawaii 5-0
03-20-2013, 12:18 PM
If the Steelers needed to bid on Jake Long, why no interest in Max Starks?

By SteelCityRoller on Mar 20 2013
Gregory Shamus

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/10098691/130977060.0_standard_500.0.jpg

The Steelers were recently tied to the bidding war over LT Jake Long. If they needed a new LT, what is wrong with their old one?

As has been discussed on BTSC already, the Pittsburgh Steelers have been implicated as contestants in the Jake Long sweepstakes; most recently by ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Long is arguably the best left tackle in the NFL. Any team needing a quality starter at the position would certainly have coveted his services. So, why were the Steelers after him?

Max Starks was the starter at LT for Pittsburgh in 2012. He has been an active member of the Steelers offensive line, playing both tackle positions, during his entire career. While Starks' stay has been a tumultuous one, the team could not separate itself from him; often re-signing him at the open of a new season.

After a disappointing non-playoff season in 2012, Starks most recent contract expired and he became an unrestricted free-agent. Many have wondered if the team would bring him back again this season, however the team has remained adamant on Mike Adams and Marcus Gilbert being the starting tackles in 2013, after the team secured each in the second round of the NFL draft - 2011 for Gilbert and 2012 for Adams.

However, if the team was so confident in their accrued youth, then why the need to go after Jake Long.

Of course, no one has been able to report exactly how much Pittsburgh offered Long, but the fact they went after him at all places new question marks over an already uncertain situation. Obviously, if the team felt they need a proven left tackle, they would turn to Starks after being unable to land long. Right?

Wrong. Starks has already faded into distant memory. His name is only being associated with the Steelers as a passing mention, like in Gerry Dulac's report from yesterday While his report was more specifically about Tomlin's comments from the owner's meetings, he did manage to repeat what the team has been not saying since the end of last season - the Steelers are not expected to re-sign Starks or Casey Hampton. His report comes after the team missed on Long.

Perhaps the team will change its mind before the season starts, but as for now Starks is not expected to receive so much as a phone call from Pittsburgh, let alone a new contract offer. Starks was asked about his situation following the close of 2012, and he declared a desire to continue to start and play for starter money - even if it meant with a new team in free-agency.

The excitement of free-agency has come and gone without a single mention of Starks name being linked to another team. While the Steelers may still offer him a minimum deal by the beginning of the season, it looks more plausible to be the end of Starks career unless another team suddenly decides to show interest in him. Starks drew little interest the last time he was an unrestricted free-agent. Now, he is even older.

Maybe a team will find itself needing depth because of injury, and Starks phone will begin to ring. However, he should not expect the call to come from Pittsburgh. As the bridge-burning continues in the city of Three Rivers, Starks's has been incinerated to the foundation. An unfortunate situation considering the Steelers have little depth behind Adams and Gilbert.

Colon, the team's former right tackle, is no longer on the roster. Ramon Foster, who used to be considered an emergency tackle, is now the full-time starter at Colon's 2012 position of left guard. Kelvin Beachum played right tackle after Adams and Gilbert both fell to injury through the end of last season, after being a seventh-round draft pick prior to the beginning of the year.

The only other tackle on the roster is Joe Long, brother of the contested Jake Long. Perhaps the team used him as an incentive for brother Jake to join Pittsburgh, but now they will have to rely on Joe to be a backup, unless they are going to address the position in the draft, yet again.

While Starks never held the greatest of relationships with Pittsburgh, his contributions to their success are undeniable. If the team's new line configuration begins to struggle early in training camp, expect to find Ben Roethlisberger practicing in his Starks jersey one more time.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/3/20/4126492/if-the-steelers-needed-to-bid-on-jake-long-why-no-interest-in-max

harrison'samonster
03-20-2013, 12:26 PM
don't see why they wouldn't even be considering Starks. Is it more than the money he's asking? I would be surprised if we can't still pick him up cheap..

lloydwoodson
03-20-2013, 05:30 PM
Gilbert absolutely destroys people.

problem is, they are his own teammates...:doh:

Hahaha that is hilarious. It is funny because it is true unfortunately.

MasterOfPuppets
03-20-2013, 06:23 PM
thats just my own personal take based on following him.

i consider him like plaxico burress vol. I. plex seems much more appreciative of the pteam and his surroundings the 2nd time around. i guess maturing will do that to some eople.
it's either that , or telling people what they wanna hear to try to keep the millions coming in...:noidea:
my guess is if someone had offered plax a hundred dollars more he would have jumped on it.

steelfury02
03-20-2013, 06:28 PM
don't see why they wouldn't even be considering Starks. Is it more than the money he's asking? I would be surprised if we can't still pick him up cheap..

this - oh Max how I would miss thee :hug: