PDA

View Full Version : Burress will make a good #3

BlaZeQuietly
03-18-2013, 04:18 PM
Last season we had Wallace, Brown, Sanders, sounds pretty good, but now that Wallace is gone, and sanders may be gone it's looking like Plax might be an every week starter. He may not be as fast as he used to be but at 6'5 he ought to be able to go up and catch some passes, specifically in the end zone, which is why we signed him in the first place. I think if he gets a full training camp in, and stays in good shape he could end up having a big season. Brown will obviously serve as our #1, perhaps Cotchery as our #2 and Plaxico as our number 3 starter. As a side note I also think if we knock the rust of Cotch he could be pretty good to. So yeah, time to dust off Plax and Cotch, I think they could both be good, seriously!:thumbsup:

jacobo
03-18-2013, 04:53 PM
hopefully his ball skills are better than his security skills

Hawaii 5-0
03-18-2013, 04:58 PM
hopefully his ball skills are better than his security skills

or his gun skills...

http://thesportsreportgirl.com/BLOG%20PICS/plax%20w-%20gun.jpg

GoFor7
03-18-2013, 05:08 PM
If Cotchery is #2 and Plax is #3, then the Steelers are in trouble at WR.

Hawaii 5-0
03-18-2013, 05:26 PM

agreed.

Cotchery needs to be the #3 or 4 WR and Plax needs to be either #4 or 5...

OX1947
03-18-2013, 05:30 PM
Great. Whos number 1 though, cause, we dont have one.

The_Joker
03-18-2013, 05:36 PM
If Brown #1, Sanders #2, Plaxico #3 and Cotch #4 bothers you, you're spoiled.

Hawaii 5-0
03-18-2013, 06:15 PM
If Brown #1, Sanders #2, Plaxico #3 and Cotch #4 bothers you, you're spoiled.

it would bother me less if we also had a healthy Heath Miller running out for passes...

harrison'samonster
03-18-2013, 06:17 PM
it would bother me less if we also had a healthy Heath Miller running out for passes...

especially in the redzone. First of all, the O-line is going to have to step it up in the Red-zone, second of all Burress will hopefully become a key player in the redzone.

jacobo
03-18-2013, 06:34 PM
If we retain Sanders our receivers aren't too bad. If lose Sanders and get say Austin, we're better. Add in Heath when he comes back and we're a bit better than last year, especially if the line stays healthy.

tanda10506
03-18-2013, 07:05 PM
We will be fine at WR if Burress is #2 and Cotchery is #3. It won't be a group of over inflated ego's who lack discipline, it will be bigger bodied vets who can run routes and make plays in the clutch. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but if our lineup is #1 Brown #2 Burress and #3 Cotchery, I would put my money on the outperforming our #1-3 WR's of last year.

ETL
03-18-2013, 07:34 PM
"Brown Plexi Crotch"

Sounds like something that happens to me when I go camping and don't get to shower too often.

Hawaii 5-0
03-18-2013, 08:09 PM
"Brown Plexi Crotch"

Sounds like something that happens to me when I go camping and don't get to shower too often.

:chuckle:

BlaZeQuietly
03-19-2013, 02:29 PM

Once again some jackass just jumping all over whatever Blazequietly has to say as if its incorrect. As some one else stated. Brown Plaxi-Cotch will out preform Wallace Brown Sanders. After all Wallace received for a whooping 800 yards last year, can't afford to lose him. I think he will go on to have a good career in miami, but not here, his ego was to big for this locker room. It would be nice to keep Sanders if we can, but I'm not going to cry if we don't. If we lose him I'm sure we will work something out where maybe Plax and cotch can rotate in and out as a #3 based on the situation, and we will bring in a solid #2 from somewhere. Heath won't be back until at least december so we need a TE to.

FrancoLambert
03-19-2013, 04:19 PM
"Brown Plexi Crotch"

Thank You. :hatsoff:
Another thing to add to my list of "why I don't go camping." :sofunny:

Hawaii 5-0
05-18-2013, 10:20 PM
Plaxico Burress May Struggle to Earn a Roster Spot with the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2013

By Kyle Curry on May 18, 2013

Last year the Pittsburgh Steelers chose to only carry four wide receivers on their 53-man roster to start the season. More receivers came in later on due to injuries, but Todd Haley’s offense uses two-tight end sets and pass-catching running backs, which makes four to five receivers plenty. With some younger and less experienced receivers expected to play a role for the Steelers in 2013 it seems likely they will carry five receivers this year to have some extra depth.

Right now the Steelers starting receivers are expected to be Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders. The players competing for spots behind those two are rookies Markus Wheaton, the Steelers third round pick, and Justin Brown, one of the Steelers sixth round picks, as well as veterans Jerricho Cotchery, David Gilreath and Plaxico Burress.

Wheaton, as the team’s third round pick, is guaranteed to make the roster as a rookie. He is also expected to make an instant impact on the team with his speed and route-running abilities. If he impresses the coaching staff during OTAs and training camp he could potentially serve as the team’s third receiver and play in the slot. He could also play on the outside in three receiver sets, which would allow Brown and Sanders to see time in the slot, both of whom have experience there and have the size and speed to excel in that role.

Outside of those three players there will be another two roster spots up for grabs. That is unless the Steelers chose to only carry four receivers for the second straight year. They could also carry six receivers, but the only way that seems likely is if undrafted rookie Reggie Dunn wins a roster spot and if he does it will be as a return man more so than as a receiver.

Those two spots will be up for grabs during training camp and the Steelers could go multiple directions with what they chose to do. However, the most anticipated decision is that they will keep Cotchery as their fourth receiver. Cotchery provides the Steelers with a veteran presence and a player that can come through in tight situation on third down and in the red zone.

That would leave only one position for Gilreath, Brown and Burress. With Heath Miller expected to miss the start of the season recovering from a torn ACL the Steelers may want to carry a tall receiver that can help in the red zone. A red zone threat at receiver would be important for the team. Over the past few years the Steelers have struggled when it comes to wide receivers catching touchdown passes in the red zone.

A tall receiver that can high point the ball and make plays could be a huge asset to the team; it is also something that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has wanted since Burress left Pittsburgh back in 2005. Burress, however, may not fill that role for the Steelers. Brown, the Steelers sixth round pick, played receiver at Penn State and Oklahoma during college and is a tall target at 6’3″.

The thing that could make Brown standout as the better option as a fifth receiver is his play on special teams. Brown returned punts during his college career and could play on coverage teams. Burress is not a special teams player and the Steelers rarely carry players low on the depth chart, either player would be the fifth receiver on the depth chart, that don’t also play on special teams.

Gilreath could also have a shot at the roster if he shows improvement this off-season. He gained a lot of fans during the 2012 pre-season and he can return kicks and play on kick coverage. However, Brown seems to have the inside edge as he will have four years of control for the Steelers on his first NFL contract. Those extra years of control and lower cap hit could give him an extra advantage.

Burress’ other chance at making the roster in 2013 is outplaying Cotchery this off-season. The Steelers right now don’t seem likely to carry both veteran receivers, but if Burress outplays Cotchery this off-season he could be the team’s fourth receiver. One thing that could work against Cothcery is his $1 million cap hit, which is the largest of any non-starter on the roster.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/plaxico_burress_may_struggle_to_earn_a_roster_spot _with_the_pittsburgh_steelers_in_2013/13646500

Steeldude
05-19-2013, 03:37 AM
A tall receiver that can high point the ball and make plays could be a huge asset to the team

That was something that Burress could not do at all.

pczach
05-19-2013, 07:40 AM
There's going to be some competition at the Wr position this year. Nothing will be given, everything will have to be earned. The article makes a lot of sense when talking about the potential money and control of contracts. I think it's pretty obvious that Burress won't start. If he doesn't start and doesn't play special teams, he's not that valuable. Not only that, but if the team believes Justin Brown will be a better receiver than him by next year, and with his special teams abilities, you have to keep him, or Gilreath. Burress is getting old.

Steelstoned1972
05-19-2013, 07:45 AM
"Brown Plexi Crotch"

Damn that sounds like one hell of condition you suffer from !

sluggermatt15
05-19-2013, 08:21 AM

True. Though I think it will be Brown and Sanders as #1 and #2 (not necessarily in that order). Heath Miller will likely be a top target when he returns. So I would assume these 3 players would be on the field the most often in 2013. I don't think we will see a ton of the #3 and #4 WRs on the field because of Heath Miller, who is a go-to receiver despite the fact he plays TE.

The real key IMO for Burress is, can he stay in shape and does he still have the ability to be a consistent pass catcher? If so, then he could move into the #2 role. If not, he just may be on the field when the Steelers utilize 4 WR sets.

pczach
05-19-2013, 08:26 AM
True. Though I think it will be Brown and Sanders as #1 and #2 (not necessarily in that order). Heath Miller will likely be a top target when he returns. So I would assume these 3 players would be on the field the most often in 2013. I don't think we will see a ton of the #3 and #4 WRs on the field because of Heath Miller, who is a go-to receiver despite the fact he plays TE.

The real key IMO for Burress is, can he stay in shape and does he still have the ability to be a consistent pass catcher? If so, then he could move into the #2 role. If not, he just may be on the field when the Steelers utilize 4 WR sets.

GoPher is speaking to us from the great beyond through quotes!

:chuckle:

Goldsteel86
05-19-2013, 09:56 AM
Plaxico Burress May Struggle to Earn a Roster Spot with the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2013

By Kyle Curry on May 18, 2013

Last year the Pittsburgh Steelers chose to only carry four wide receivers on their 53-man roster to start the season. More receivers came in later on due to injuries, but Todd Haley’s offense uses two-tight end sets and pass-catching running backs, which makes four to five receivers plenty. With some younger and less experienced receivers expected to play a role for the Steelers in 2013 it seems likely they will carry five receivers this year to have some extra depth.

Right now the Steelers starting receivers are expected to be Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders. The players competing for spots behind those two are rookies Markus Wheaton, the Steelers third round pick, and Justin Brown, one of the Steelers sixth round picks, as well as veterans Jerricho Cotchery, David Gilreath and Plaxico Burress.

Wheaton, as the team’s third round pick, is guaranteed to make the roster as a rookie. He is also expected to make an instant impact on the team with his speed and route-running abilities. If he impresses the coaching staff during OTAs and training camp he could potentially serve as the team’s third receiver and play in the slot. He could also play on the outside in three receiver sets, which would allow Brown and Sanders to see time in the slot, both of whom have experience there and have the size and speed to excel in that role.

Outside of those three players there will be another two roster spots up for grabs. That is unless the Steelers chose to only carry four receivers for the second straight year. They could also carry six receivers, but the only way that seems likely is if undrafted rookie Reggie Dunn wins a roster spot and if he does it will be as a return man more so than as a receiver.

Those two spots will be up for grabs during training camp and the Steelers could go multiple directions with what they chose to do. However, the most anticipated decision is that they will keep Cotchery as their fourth receiver. Cotchery provides the Steelers with a veteran presence and a player that can come through in tight situation on third down and in the red zone.

That would leave only one position for Gilreath, Brown and Burress. With Heath Miller expected to miss the start of the season recovering from a torn ACL the Steelers may want to carry a tall receiver that can help in the red zone. A red zone threat at receiver would be important for the team. Over the past few years the Steelers have struggled when it comes to wide receivers catching touchdown passes in the red zone.

A tall receiver that can high point the ball and make plays could be a huge asset to the team; it is also something that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has wanted since Burress left Pittsburgh back in 2005. Burress, however, may not fill that role for the Steelers. Brown, the Steelers sixth round pick, played receiver at Penn State and Oklahoma during college and is a tall target at 6’3″.

The thing that could make Brown standout as the better option as a fifth receiver is his play on special teams. Brown returned punts during his college career and could play on coverage teams. Burress is not a special teams player and the Steelers rarely carry players low on the depth chart, either player would be the fifth receiver on the depth chart, that don’t also play on special teams.

Gilreath could also have a shot at the roster if he shows improvement this off-season. He gained a lot of fans during the 2012 pre-season and he can return kicks and play on kick coverage. However, Brown seems to have the inside edge as he will have four years of control for the Steelers on his first NFL contract. Those extra years of control and lower cap hit could give him an extra advantage.

Burress’ other chance at making the roster in 2013 is outplaying Cotchery this off-season. The Steelers right now don’t seem likely to carry both veteran receivers, but if Burress outplays Cotchery this off-season he could be the team’s fourth receiver. One thing that could work against Cothcery is his $1 million cap hit, which is the largest of any non-starter on the roster.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/plaxico_burress_may_struggle_to_earn_a_roster_spot _with_the_pittsburgh_steelers_in_2013/13646500

Just a little side note, if young Mr. Wheaton is a "lock" (my words), then keeping Plaxico around as a mentor, so to speak, might be a good thing especially if this kid has any upside. Oh, and Plax is a Super Bowl champion, something Brown, Sanders and Cotchery are not. Who better to learn from, someone who had it all and wasted it, a WR who chose the same "High Road" as Wallace has only to be ending his career with the same team that gave him his first shot. Just my opinions Plax might be more of an asset than we Steeler fans may think. Oh and by the way, unlike last year, Plaxico will actually benefit from an actual training camp, rather than coming off the couch, watch out, Plax may surprise us all.

SteelBlaze1
05-19-2013, 01:00 PM
I think they will keep both Cotchery and Burress. We will need receivers, at least until Miller is back.

WVABE
05-19-2013, 03:05 PM
AB is getting the $ so I would think he's #1, Manny #2, JC #3, Plax #4 maybe,
got to see what the rookie is made of.

Just hope the running game gets going again.:helmet:

The_Joker
05-19-2013, 03:36 PM
Brown 1
Manny 2
Plax 3
Wheaties 4
Cotch 5

SteelersCanada
05-19-2013, 04:16 PM
I'd prefer Wheaton as our number three with AB and Manny being 1 and 2, respectively.

bornaSteelersfan
05-19-2013, 05:42 PM
I really do not see Wheaton making the 3rd receiver. I don't even think he will make 4th receiver and wind up behind Plax and Cotch. He had flashes in college, but was off balance most of the time and isn't ready for that many passes in the pros. He is going to need at least one season to develop. I believe he is still too raw. I think he will be very good in the future (like Brown, Sanders, and Wallace, too), but he is not ready for the load.

Plax is a proven Super Bowl winning champion. He had a couple of years off due to stupidity, but seems mature and ready. He is also a huge target for Ben. This puts him strongly at the 3rd position even ahead of Cotchery.

teegre
05-19-2013, 09:34 PM
3 receptions.

austinfrench76
05-19-2013, 10:49 PM
I completely agree that if Plax is our #3, something went wrong somewhere. Wheaton didn't do enough, injuries or we are tanking. And we're not gonna tank so one of the first two.

Hawaii 5-0
05-24-2013, 11:54 PM
Football and Footwear: The Burress Collection

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2013/05/22/sports/SOCKS-1/SOCKS-1-articleLarge.jpg

Plaxico Burress at the introduction of his Plaxico Burress Collection of men’s luxury hosiery at a New York nightclub rooftop party. “I’ve always considered myself a pretty stylish guy,” he said.

By TONY GERVINO
Published: May 21, 2013

The news release seemed like a punch line to an untold joke. Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Plaxico Burress, who spent nearly two years in prison after accidentally shooting himself in the right thigh through a pair of sweat pants while at a trendy New York nightclub, was set to host a rooftop party at, you guessed it, a trendy New York nightclub introducing his new men’s luxury hosiery line.

In other words, a fashion accessory headlined an event Friday night that featured a tower of Champagne-filled glasses, a Maserati convertible and female models wearing nothing but white tuxedo shirts, Buddy Holly eyeglasses and Plaxico Burress Collection socks on their feet.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2013/05/22/sports/SOCKS-3/SOCKS-2-articleInline.jpg

The hosiery will retail for $24 or more a pair, and will be released to retail next month. To help promote the line, Burress has made the usual news media rounds and started a Twitter account, @PlaxicosSocks, which he uses to crowd source queries like: “I think I may have to design a special pair of Limited Edition Black and Gold sock. What do you think?”

When asked about football matters Friday, Burress, a former Jets and Giants player, responded, “I’m only here to talk about socks.” He was quick to dispel the notion that he thinks socks are somehow beneath him, and said if people were surprised by his initial foray into the world of fashion, well, there’s a good reason for that.

“I’ve been planning my sock line from behind the scenes for a couple of years; nobody even knew I was doing it,” said Burress, excited to talk about colorful socks instead of colorful former coaches. “So it’s a lot of hard work that got me to this point.”

Burress, who named the former Steelers running back Jerome Bettis as the best-dressed teammate he has had, said his obsession with fashion predated his N.F.L. millions.

“I’ve always considered myself a pretty stylish guy,” he said. “I may not have had the means to do so coming up. I had an eye for what looks good on me.”

Burress also refused to speculate on a post-N.F.L. career in fashion. He said he was confident, however, that he could provide a deep threat for Pittsburgh while still expanding his hosiery business. And he knows just where to begin.

“The ultimate goal is to get into bow ties, cuff links and belts,” he said. “Definitely belts. Come on, who doesn’t need a great belt?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/22/sports/football/plaxico-burress-launching-mens-luxury-hosiery-line.html?ref=sports&_r=1&

pczach
05-25-2013, 05:35 AM
Football and Footwear: The Burress Collection

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2013/05/22/sports/SOCKS-1/SOCKS-1-articleLarge.jpg

Plaxico Burress at the introduction of his Plaxico Burress Collection of men’s luxury hosiery at a New York nightclub rooftop party. “I’ve always considered myself a pretty stylish guy,” he said.

By TONY GERVINO
Published: May 21, 2013

The news release seemed like a punch line to an untold joke. Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Plaxico Burress, who spent nearly two years in prison after accidentally shooting himself in the right thigh through a pair of sweat pants while at a trendy New York nightclub, was set to host a rooftop party at, you guessed it, a trendy New York nightclub introducing his new men’s luxury hosiery line.

In other words, a fashion accessory headlined an event Friday night that featured a tower of Champagne-filled glasses, a Maserati convertible and female models wearing nothing but white tuxedo shirts, Buddy Holly eyeglasses and Plaxico Burress Collection socks on their feet.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2013/05/22/sports/SOCKS-3/SOCKS-2-articleInline.jpg

The hosiery will retail for $24 or more a pair, and will be released to retail next month. To help promote the line, Burress has made the usual news media rounds and started a Twitter account, @PlaxicosSocks, which he uses to crowd source queries like: “I think I may have to design a special pair of Limited Edition Black and Gold sock. What do you think?”

When asked about football matters Friday, Burress, a former Jets and Giants player, responded, “I’m only here to talk about socks.” He was quick to dispel the notion that he thinks socks are somehow beneath him, and said if people were surprised by his initial foray into the world of fashion, well, there’s a good reason for that.

“I’ve been planning my sock line from behind the scenes for a couple of years; nobody even knew I was doing it,” said Burress, excited to talk about colorful socks instead of colorful former coaches. “So it’s a lot of hard work that got me to this point.”

Burress, who named the former Steelers running back Jerome Bettis as the best-dressed teammate he has had, said his obsession with fashion predated his N.F.L. millions.

“I’ve always considered myself a pretty stylish guy,” he said. “I may not have had the means to do so coming up. I had an eye for what looks good on me.”

Burress also refused to speculate on a post-N.F.L. career in fashion. He said he was confident, however, that he could provide a deep threat for Pittsburgh while still expanding his hosiery business. And he knows just where to begin.

“The ultimate goal is to get into bow ties, cuff links and belts,” he said. “Definitely belts. Come on, who doesn’t need a great belt?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/22/sports/football/plaxico-burress-launching-mens-luxury-hosiery-line.html?ref=sports&_r=1&

I didn't know they had events for socks. Wow, am I getting old.:doh: