PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tomlin is not a believer in the read-option

Hawaii 5-0
03-19-2013, 01:06 PM
Tomlin not a believer in read-option

Updated: March 19, 2013, 1:52 PM ET
By Dan Graziano | ESPN.com

PHOENIX -- The read-option may be the NFL's en vogue offensive concept, but to the league's defensive-minded coaches it's just the latest in a long line of puzzles to solve.

"I think it's the flavor of the day," Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday at the NFL owners meetings. "We will see if it's the flavor of the year. We'll see if guys are committed to getting their guys hit."

The success last year of young, athletic quarterbacks such as the Washington Redskins' Robert Griffin III, Seattle Seahawks' Russell Wilson and San Francisco's Colin Kaepernick, who led the 49ers to the Super Bowl running their version of the read-option, is thought to portend a new offensive trend toward dynamic offenses that force defenses to account for more than they're used to seeing.

But as Tomlin's comment hints, the read-option carries risk and exacts from the quarterback a physical price that the small sample size doesn't yet prove teams are willing to pay.

So while the read-option may be the hot concept of the NFL moment, opposing defenses view it instead as something to be stamped out.

"We look forward to stopping it," Tomlin said. "We look forward to eliminating it."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9070775/mike-tomlin-pittsburgh-steelers-read-option-nfl-flavor-day

Vis
03-19-2013, 01:09 PM
Raise your hand if you think Washington will use it when RGIII returns.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
03-19-2013, 01:10 PM
The Read-option will be gone once a QB gets hurt its just a matter of time when that happens.

SkipBayless69
03-19-2013, 01:18 PM
The Read-option will be gone once a QB gets hurt its just a matter of time when that happens.

RG III already tore his knee apart. They kept running him until the wheels fell off.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
03-19-2013, 01:20 PM
RG III already tore his knee apart. They kept running him until the wheels fell off.

Thats because there the "Redskins" anything else?

If I seen my QB get hurt I would never let him play the read-option again just common sense....

Fire Haley
03-19-2013, 01:22 PM
I'm not in favor of the dink&dunk - it almost got Ben killed.

I guess that makes us even.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
03-19-2013, 01:24 PM

No that was the case of Ben holding on the ball to long....

It was a freak accident.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-19-2013, 01:24 PM
I was at a coaching clinic where there was a lot of topics on the read option and how to stop the read option. Give NFL defenses this offseason to practice how to defend it and you will see it pretty much goes the way of the Wildcat.

SkipBayless69
03-19-2013, 01:30 PM
Mike Tomlin is wrong here... dead wrong. It is not the scheme of the read-option that makes it successful but the personnel. What Tomlin needs is the right quarterback to run the offense and that quarterback can be had for cheap. The player I am thinking of has the greatest set of intangibles in NFL history and if you don't believe me then measure those intangibles- they are off the chart! I am talking about none other than Tim Tebow. Graced by the power of God he was able to take the hapless Broncos to a playoff win over these very same Steelers. The read-option can work in Pittsburgh and it all comes down to one man- Tebow! Tebow! Tebow!

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-19-2013, 01:33 PM
Mike Tomlin is wrong here... dead wrong. It is not the scheme of the read-option that makes it successful but the personnel. What Tomlin needs is the right quarterback to run the offense and that quarterback can be had for cheap. The player I am thinking of has the greatest set of intangibles in NFL history and if you don't believe me then measure those intangibles- they are off the chart! I am talking about none other than Tim Tebow. Graced by the power of God he was able to take the hapless Broncos to a playoff win over these very same Steelers. The read-option can work in Pittsburgh and it all comes down to one man- Tebow! Tebow! Tebow!

:rofl:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-19-2013, 01:45 PM
NY Giants are already consulting with College coaches on how they defend Read Option. http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2013/03/giants_tap_college_coaches_for.html

Its a combination of using defensive line reads to clog running lanes, showing the QB different looks/stunts so that he reads the wrong thing on the end and punishing the QB when you do get him carrying the football. All stuff you are going to see this year.

Stack the end and OLB on the option side, mix up stunting the OLB in or outside, so the QB gets confused on who he is actually reading all the time. He will make some bad reads, get hit and maybe be on the RGIII offseason program.

Vis
03-19-2013, 02:00 PM
NY Giants are already consulting with College coaches on how they defend Read Option. http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2013/03/giants_tap_college_coaches_for.html

Its a combination of using defensive line reads to clog running lanes, showing the QB different looks/stunts so that he reads the wrong thing on the end and punishing the QB when you do get him carrying the football. All stuff you are going to see this year.

Stack the end and OLB on the option side, mix up stunting the OLB in or outside, so the QB gets confused on who he is actually reading all the time. He will make some bad reads, get hit and maybe be on the RGIII offseason program.

Then you add the fact that the NFL players are bigger and faster on the defense and the college stud QB gets broken. That's one thing to risk during the rookie contract but another if any of them live until the cash in on the first big payday.

BlaZeQuietly
03-19-2013, 02:33 PM
yeh yeh yeh tomlin da man

Hawaii 5-0
03-19-2013, 02:35 PM
yeh yeh yeh tomlin da man

what a quality post! :hatsoff:

BlaZeQuietly
03-19-2013, 02:41 PM
what a quality post! :hatsoff:

same to you:tt04:

teegre
03-19-2013, 03:19 PM

I disagree. The sack totals were their lowest last year. Reducing the number of sacks reduces the chances that the QB will get hurt.

Yes, BB got hurt, but a QB can get hurt on ANY play. For example, Joe Thiesman was not sacked much... but, on a particular Monday night, he took that one bad sack. (Make sense?)

bornaSteelersfan
03-19-2013, 03:22 PM
The Steelers already beat "the read option" when they tore apart The Redskins last October. End of story.

Vis
03-19-2013, 03:27 PM
The Steelers already beat "the read option" when they tore apart The Redskins last October. End of story.

Yeah but Tomlin did that with Cowher's team

SkipBayless69
03-19-2013, 03:33 PM
Psyche, now this was a pointless post, get off my case, I'd love to meet some of you internet gangsters in real life, it would be hilarious. --- BlazeQuietly

Yeah, well I'd "lose" to meet you too, Tough Guy. These are my two friends Thunder and Lightning. You hear that sound? It's a storm brewing!

http://i47.tinypic.com/2vnkvty.jpg

BlaZeQuietly
03-19-2013, 03:34 PM
:'(

MACH1
03-19-2013, 03:38 PM
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/481916_482873738427974_325200695_n.jpg

sloppyjoe
03-19-2013, 04:41 PM

was that the same game where the redskin wrs dropped a dozen balls or so and would have beaten us if they hadnt?

Fire Arians
03-19-2013, 04:49 PM
was that the same game where the redskin wrs dropped a dozen balls or so and would have beaten us if they hadnt?

they dropped those balls because they were getting mauled by our DB's and started hearing footsteps and playing scared.

who's fault is that? our D just out-physicaled them. it's football, and we shut them down good. their receivers are soft.

jacobo
03-19-2013, 04:53 PM
Glad somebody finally said it. It isn't lasting. Basically Wildcat II

It's also the reason why Luck should have won roty. "learning" the read option is so much easier for a college guy coming in (especially if they ran a simpler form of it in college) than Arians'.

bornaSteelersfan
03-19-2013, 04:54 PM

10, but who's counting? It was the same game where RGIII ran for only 8 yards and was beat up all day by a swarming defense.

Bane
03-19-2013, 05:06 PM
10, but who's counting? It was the same game where RGIII ran for only 8 yards and was beat up all day by a swarming defense.

I recall the commentators mentioning that this was the first time he'd faced off against a 3-4. He ate it pretty hard. I guess the athleticism required of good 3-4 linebackers is a bit too much for read-option quarterbacks.

Fire Haley
03-19-2013, 05:12 PM
It was a freak accident.

Steelers seem to have a lot of that going on with this team, too many bad mojo injuries.

If I had a chicken, I'd kill it on the altar to see if maybe that would work

maybe the farmers here can help us out?

jb500ex
03-19-2013, 06:06 PM

Yeah good thing we beat them so easily to get us ready for the playoffs. Talking about how well we played against the skins is comical. To bad we didn't play the browns raiders titans chargers that well

teegre
03-19-2013, 06:39 PM

I'd write a reply, but cutting & pasting works better.

http://www.steelersfever.com/editorials/1019.html

fer522
03-19-2013, 06:53 PM

Dude!! I don't know if I should thank you or slap you across the face A few times :chuckle:

sloppyjoe
03-19-2013, 07:58 PM
they dropped those balls because they were getting mauled by our DB's and started hearing footsteps and playing scared.

who's fault is that? our D just out-physicaled them. it's football, and we shut them down good. their receivers are soft.

the wrs were wide open.
we were actually lucky to be facing a rookie qb

kan_t
03-19-2013, 09:17 PM
A disciplined 3-4 defense can solve the read option. I'm not worry about it if the Steelers face one.

Fire Arians
03-20-2013, 02:46 PM
the wrs were wide open.
we were actually lucky to be facing a rookie qb

yeah, lucky to be facing a rookie qb with a qb rating of over 100? RG3 is the real deal. watch the game again, their receivers were scared after getting popped a few times

Hawaii 5-0
03-28-2013, 02:17 PM
Seahawks Russell Wilson disagrees with Steelers Mike Tomlin

By SteelCityRoller on Mar 28 2013

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/10547861/2013016_gav_au3_239.0_standard_500.0.jpg

No one who enjoys any level of success likes to hear someone else claim it was a fluke. One of those people recently discredited by the Steelers head coach, has taken to the defense of his trendy talents.

Head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers Mike Tomlin pulls no punches when he answers questions he deems to be nonsensical.

Recently, Tomlin was asked about the run-option offense's place in the NFL. He replied swiftly and succinctly. He called it a "flavor of the month" passing fad. He declared his team's interest in bringing it to a quick and decisive end.

While Tomlin's assessment may hold true in the long run, the success of the offense in 2012 is undeniable. The San Francisco 49ers ran it all the way to the Super Bowl. The Washington Redskins found the future of their franchise in Robert Griffin III, and the Seattle Seahawks were suddenly spectacular behind rookie sensation Russell Wilson.

Wilson was asked by the Tacoma News-Tribune about Tomlin's comments. Evidently, Wilson disagrees with Tomlin.

"To be honest with you, people try to take away from the ability that guys have in terms of what Colin Kaepernick and other guys like him can do, for whatever reason, because they're young, or they're different; but I think it brings excitement to the game. It brings a challenge to the defense. It doesn't matter what style of offense, I'm ready to play any time, anywhere, anyplace. I just want to play football. Some people try to take away from our ability to throw the football because we can run, but I think it just adds another dimension to what we do."

To be fair to Wilson's argument, the Seahawks did not rely on the run-option all season; but when they did, they were awfully good at it. However, to be fair to Tomlin's point, Wilson hit the nail on the head.

"It brings a challenge to the defense."

Like many unorthodox or non-traditional systems, success is usually found in early stages due to no precedents on which to base defensive gameplans. Also, teams are currently built to defend the modern NFL offense as it was prior to the run-option explosion of 2012. As more and more teams begin to jump on the systematic bandwagon, more teams will begin building defenses out of athleticism to counteract the offensive advantage. Teams have already began compiling tape on the new looks, and will not find themselves as unprepared as they were last season.

Tomlin undoubtedly believes his team is up to Wilson's challenge. As he said in defense of his flavor comments, "Let's see how committed these guys are to getting their guys hit." As the loss of Redskins Griffin proves, the scheme exposes passers to even more contact.

The read-option offense may have a leg to stand on now, but its lifespan relies on the durability of those legs. An inability to run, creates inability for option. The longevity of the offensive scheme will be defined by the performances of quarterbacks who start running out of options due to swelling injury reports.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/3/28/4155672/seahawks-russell-wilson-comments-offense-mike-tomlin

ebsteelers
03-28-2013, 02:21 PM
Seahawks Russell Wilson disagrees with Steelers Mike Tomlin

By SteelCityRoller on Mar 28 2013

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/10547861/2013016_gav_au3_239.0_standard_500.0.jpg

No one who enjoys any level of success likes to hear someone else claim it was a fluke. One of those people recently discredited by the Steelers head coach, has taken to the defense of his trendy talents.

Head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers Mike Tomlin pulls no punches when he answers questions he deems to be nonsensical.

Recently, Tomlin was asked about the run-option offense's place in the NFL. He replied swiftly and succinctly. He called it a "flavor of the month" passing fad. He declared his team's interest in bringing it to a quick and decisive end.

While Tomlin's assessment may hold true in the long run, the success of the offense in 2012 is undeniable. The San Francisco 49ers ran it all the way to the Super Bowl. The Washington Redskins found the future of their franchise in Robert Griffin III, and the Seattle Seahawks were suddenly spectacular behind rookie sensation Russell Wilson.

Wilson was asked by the Tacoma News-Tribune about Tomlin's comments. Evidently, Wilson disagrees with Tomlin.

"To be honest with you, people try to take away from the ability that guys have in terms of what Colin Kaepernick and other guys like him can do, for whatever reason, because they're young, or they're different; but I think it brings excitement to the game. It brings a challenge to the defense. It doesn't matter what style of offense, I'm ready to play any time, anywhere, anyplace. I just want to play football. Some people try to take away from our ability to throw the football because we can run, but I think it just adds another dimension to what we do."

To be fair to Wilson's argument, the Seahawks did not rely on the run-option all season; but when they did, they were awfully good at it. However, to be fair to Tomlin's point, Wilson hit the nail on the head.

"It brings a challenge to the defense."

Like many unorthodox or non-traditional systems, success is usually found in early stages due to no precedents on which to base defensive gameplans. Also, teams are currently built to defend the modern NFL offense as it was prior to the run-option explosion of 2012. As more and more teams begin to jump on the systematic bandwagon, more teams will begin building defenses out of athleticism to counteract the offensive advantage. Teams have already began compiling tape on the new looks, and will not find themselves as unprepared as they were last season.

Tomlin undoubtedly believes his team is up to Wilson's challenge. As he said in defense of his flavor comments, "Let's see how committed these guys are to getting their guys hit." As the loss of Redskins Griffin proves, the scheme exposes passers to even more contact.

The read-option offense may have a leg to stand on now, but its lifespan relies on the durability of those legs. An inability to run, creates inability for option. The longevity of the offensive scheme will be defined by the performances of quarterbacks who start running out of options due to swelling injury reports.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/3/28/4155672/seahawks-russell-wilson-comments-offense-mike-tomlin

wait until he gets popped a few good times. and he'll be signing a different tune

Riddle_Of_Steel
03-28-2013, 10:50 PM

Meh. Running QBs are nothing new-- just a new name for an old and now resurrected scheme. I agree with Tomlin completely.

The first time Colin Kaepernick or Russel Wilson gets his knee inverted while on a 20 yard scramble-- that will be the end of the read option in the NFL.

Riddle_Of_Steel
03-28-2013, 10:59 PM

You knew the above post was coming as soon as they mentioned the read option....

Lets be forthright about this. Tim Tebow sucks dong. That loss was less about how great Tebow is, and more about how damaged and injured our defense was that day.

You use the game against us to support your Tebow love-fest, but neglect to point out some other facts about his thunderous 7-4 win streak.

By the grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, Timmy Tryhard was able to lead his team to decisive victories over the following:

* 6-10 Dolphins

* 8-8 Raiders

* 7-9 Chiefs

* 8-8 Jets

* 8-8 Chargers

* 3-13 Vikings

* 8-8 Bears

The only teams Timmy went up against that actually had winning records that season were:

* Lions (lost 45-10)

* Patriots (lost 41-23)

He followed those humbling defeats up with a 40-14 loss to the 6-10 Bills!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe there would be some merit to your praise if he was on a team that had nothing else going for it-- but they had one of the league's best pass rush, a great defense, a good running game, and a very talented receivers in Demarius Thomas.

I have been saying it for a while-- that is why Tebow did NOT lobby for more playing time with the Jets. He knew that if he actually received significant playing time- his legend would come to an end because he would be expposed for the fraud he is. He would have had no supporting cast and he would have looked the part of a goofball by week 4, just like the guy he would have replaced.

AS for our playoff game against him-- notice how they ran the same exact play all three times? We already know Tebow was no Rhodes scholar (he scored an 870 on his SAT-- about two questions more than the automatic 800 you get if you sign your name right). They practiced that play ALL WEEK-- because it is one of the only ones he knew how to run successfully. Per some reports, John Fox asked before that week to give him a list of his 12 favorite plays-- and that is all they practiced all week until they had them down to a science.

No knock on them for their strategy-- it worked. Couple that with a cocky Steelers' unit that did not take their game preparation seriously and you get what we saw.

lloydwoodson
03-30-2013, 10:58 PM
By the grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Eww. Dawkins. I just threw up all over my computer.

The_Joker
03-30-2013, 11:08 PM
Ok ok, who wins, Super Bowl coach vs rookie Seahawk?

Blacksburg Zach
03-30-2013, 11:48 PM
Ok ok, who wins, Super Bowl coach vs rookie Seahawk?

Well if you ask many posters on Steelers Fever Forums, the Super Bowl coach in question is the worst coach in the history of sports, so the rookie Seahawk wins by default if that is the case.

OX1947
03-31-2013, 01:26 AM
Read Option works if the QB can throw and throw accurately. However, if a QB continues to get hit like RGIII was, no chance of having a healthy career unless you are built like a building, a la Big Ben.

Steeldude
04-01-2013, 01:53 AM

If I remember correctly the Steelers benefited from a dozen drops by the Redskins' WRs.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-01-2013, 09:35 AM
Read Option works if the QB can throw and throw accurately. However, if a QB continues to get hit like RGIII was, no chance of having a healthy career unless you are built like a building, a la Big Ben.

??? :doh:

The read option is predicated on having a run game that the End, who is being optioned, must respect. Also having a QB with run ability that the optioned end must respect. The QB reads the end and has the option to give the ball to the back or keep himself. Hence the name.

Tom Brady can throw and throw accurately, but you would never run a read option offense with Brady because he isnt a threat to run the football if he didnt hand it off.

OX1947
04-01-2013, 11:46 AM
??? :doh:

The read option is predicated on having a run game that the End, who is being optioned, must respect. Also having a QB with run ability that the optioned end must respect. The QB reads the end and has the option to give the ball to the back or keep himself. Hence the name.

Tom Brady can throw and throw accurately, but you would never run a read option offense with Brady because he isnt a threat to run the football if he didnt hand it off.

No.