PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin to Steelers' critics: "See you in the fall"

Hawaii 5-0
03-19-2013, 02:40 PM
Tomlin to Steelers' critics: See you in the fall

March 19, 2013
By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://db66abc2c256b763aaef-ce5d943d4869ae027976e5ad085dd9b0.r76.cf2.rackcdn.c om/2013/77/785/mike-tomlin-file-yelling_420.jpg

PHOENIX -- Mike Tomlin had a bold message today for those questioning the Steelers ability to be a playoff team in 2013 after so many key losses and defections.

"That's March talk," Tomlin said. "I'll see you at stadiums in the fall."

It might not carry the same stern warning Tomlin issued in the 2009 season when he said, "We will unleash hell in December." And it remains to be seen if this directive proves to more prophetic than the one in 2009 when the Steelers subsequently lost their next two games, resulting in a five-game losing streak.

But it nonetheless points out what Tomlin, general manager Kevin Colbert and team president Art Rooney II have maintained since the start of free agency -- the Steelers are not a team that is rebuilding.

"I acknowledge we got a ways to go," Tomlin said during the AFC coaches breakfast at the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa, site of the NFL owners meetings. "[We lost close games] because we weren't good enough. Good teams win close games. Teams that are not lose those games.

"We were an 8-8 team. I'm not going to hide from that."

The Steelers have already lost three key starters in free agency -- Mike Wallace, Rashard Mendenhall and Keenan Lewis -- and released two others who were still under contract, Pro Bowl linebacker James Harrison and guard Willie Colon. They are expected not to re-sign two others starters who are unrestricted free agents -- tackle Max Starks and nose tackle Casey Hampton.

Here what Tomlin had to say on several other subjects:

On the performance of his offense in their first year under Todd Haley:"I thought we did some good things early. I thought we waned down the stretch."

On the relationship of Haley and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger: "I think it's going to be a healthy one and one that grows. Both guys are geared toward winning and are unselfish from that standpoint."

On using more zone blocking schemes with new offensive line coach Jack Bicknell Jr.: "We'll lean on the strength of our guys. It's something we're going to explore. But we're not going to move too far from what the guys are capable of doing."

On the long-term future of the read option: "I think it's the flavor of day. We will see if it's the flavor of year. We'll see if guys are committed to getting their guys hit."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/tomlin-to-steelers-critics-see-you-in-the-fall-679961/#ixzz2O0aeQDdw

SteelersCanada
03-19-2013, 02:41 PM
'Attta boy Mike. Let these beat writers talk.

BlaZeQuietly
03-19-2013, 02:43 PM
He better be able to back up this talk, otherwise he's just going to look like a clown.

pete74
03-19-2013, 02:45 PM
This talk happens all the time. After the draft everyone will like our picks regardless of who they are and they will start talking about how much better we are now and how 4 of our rookies will make an immediate impact

Steelers>NFL
03-19-2013, 02:49 PM
This season is put up or shut up for Tomlin. Otherwise it is the start of the end for him. 2 more years @ 8-8 and mediocre drafts will not help him.

BlaZeQuietly
03-19-2013, 02:54 PM
This season is put up or shut up for Tomlin. Otherwise it is the start of the end for him. 2 more years @ 8-8 and mediocre drafts will not help him.

I agree, his success with cowers team was fine, but now he needs to prove he can put something together him self. I'm liking what I see so far, we had to deal with our cap issues, and we did. Now we need to piece something together. Honestly, last off season we had the choice to sign Brown or Wallace, we Chose Brown and we chose right in my opinion. better hands, not as fast, but you have to catch the ball before you can run with it.

SH-Rock
03-19-2013, 03:00 PM
I agree, his success with cowers team was fine, but now he needs to prove he can put something together him self. I'm liking what I see so far, we had to deal with our cap issues, and we did. Now we need to piece something together. Honestly, last off season we had the choice to sign Brown or Wallace, we Chose Brown and we chose right in my opinion. better hands, not as fast, but you have to catch the ball before you can run with it.

Not this shit again.

SteelersCanada
03-19-2013, 03:06 PM
Yay! More Cowhers team bullshit! I'm not surprised it came from Blaze, though,

Oh how quickly we forget the years of mediocrity that Billy had. Tomlin's job is safe, guys - get over it. I can't wait until the regular season so we can stop reading stupid comments like "Cowher's players" and "this is it for Tomlin!". September can't come fast enough.

BlaZeQuietly
03-19-2013, 03:10 PM
It was Cowhers teams that tomlin had sucess with Holmes, Ward, harrison.. all gone now, lets see what he can do. Not saying Tomlin is a bad coach, I think hes awesome, but he can he do it with a staff he didnt inherit from cowher? yet to be seen

BlaZeQuietly
03-19-2013, 03:14 PM
haha my new Sig is cool, I like Plax.

bornaSteelersfan
03-19-2013, 03:35 PM
It was Cowhers teams that tomlin had sucess with Holmes, Ward, harrison.. all gone now, lets see what he can do. Not saying Tomlin is a bad coach, I think hes awesome, but he can he do it with a staff he didnt inherit from cowher? yet to be seen

For your information, Harrison was nothing until Tomlin took over. Right away they cut Porter then made Harrison the starter. That was Tomlin's first big step as the new head coach.

FrancoLambert
03-19-2013, 04:15 PM
I think Tomlin is finally feeling some real heat: from the owners, fans and media.
The honeymoon from #6 is officially over. He knows it.
He has to deal with adversity like never before.
Everyone will be watching carefully. Colbert's got to nail this draft.

OX1947
03-19-2013, 04:27 PM
All Steelers fans want to see is killer instinct in the 4th quarters, not hyperbole.

sloppyjoe
03-19-2013, 04:39 PM
He better be able to back up this talk, otherwise he's just going to look like a clown.

gonna look like a clown?
the guy is way over his head and it is obvious to those that follow and understand football.

casteeler
03-19-2013, 04:45 PM
Now now guys lets not question the all mighty Tomlin,it might get others upset

The_Joker
03-19-2013, 05:04 PM
Now now guys lets not question the all mighty Tomlin,it might get others upset

:blah:

Typical haters. Go be a Cardinals fan already.

Fire Haley
03-19-2013, 05:20 PM
Can't be any worse than Woodley's Raven's won't make SB in this lifetime

too much talk and not enough walk

woo-hoos! and chestbumps will have everyone feeling just fine, you'll see

pete74
03-19-2013, 05:30 PM
Can't be any worse than Woodley's Raven's won't make SB in this lifetime

too much talk and not enough walk

woo-hoos! and chestbumps will have everyone feeling just fine, you'll see

I forgot about that. He said they would never win it with Flacco. Well Flacco was the super bowl MVP Woodley was rated as below average and never sniffed the playoffs

harrison'samonster
03-19-2013, 06:09 PM
Tomlin didn't say anything that isn't true, and he didn't say anything that hasn't been mentioned on this board.

pczach
03-19-2013, 06:42 PM
He didn't make any bold predictions or silly guarantees. He said exactly what he should have said. I wouldn't want anything to do with a coach that didn't show confidence in his team and the belief in his team's ability to win. What you're listening to is a man that has made it to the highest level of his profession and has had great success, and the self confidence that comes with that. He believes in himself, in his coaching staff, in his team, and in this organization. I can't believe those of you here that think we're watching the Titanic leave port. You've had a front row seat to the premier franchise in the NFL have an unprecedented 40 year run of excellence. They have been as solid and consistent as any team ever and have won more Super Bowls than anyone. Yet somehow, you think there is no way they can overcome the current situation. They've been here before. They'll be here again. For God's sake, show a little faith in an organization that deserves the benefit of the doubt. Let's face it. They're smarter than me and they're smarter than you.....unbelievable.:doh:

jiminpa
03-19-2013, 06:50 PM
He better be able to back up this talk, otherwise he's just going to look like a clown.He has never backed up his talk before, and yes he does look like a clown to me. I keep hoping he will prove me wrong and he keeps proving me right. Fortunately Dick LeBeau doesn't mind making Tomlin look competent.

Hawaii 5-0
03-19-2013, 07:17 PM
He has never backed up his talk before, and yes he does look like a clown to me.

that's funny, Tomlin doesn't look like a clown in this pic...

http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2009/01/large_tomlin_trophy.jpg

vasteeler
03-19-2013, 07:17 PM
jesus christ almighty i really need to start making use of the ignore feature:banging:

lloydwoodson
03-19-2013, 07:30 PM
So what you're saying is Tomlin is preparing to unleash hell in September? I'm not buying into that again. :chuckle:

Steelers5895
03-19-2013, 07:41 PM

lets not forget cowhers early success was with Nolls team.

harrison'samonster
03-19-2013, 07:43 PM
lets not forget cowhers early success was with Nolls team.

shhhh! you're not suppose to bring that up. :chuckle:

Steelers5895
03-19-2013, 07:43 PM
Tomlin is one the the NFLs great young coaches and will be able to see it through 2-3 non playoff teams just like Cowher. The thing in Pittsburgh is the color of his skin and that is a disgrace!

harrison'samonster
03-19-2013, 07:44 PM
Tomlin is one the the NFLs great young coaches and will be able to see it through 2-3 non playoff teams just like Cowher. The thing in Pittsburgh is the color of his skin and that is a disgrace!

could be true in a lot of cases, but you won't be able to prove it.

sloppyjoe
03-19-2013, 07:53 PM
that's funny, Tomlin doesn't look like a clown in this pic...

http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2009/01/large_tomlin_trophy.jpg

he has that 'thank you bill cowher' look in his eyes

harrison'samonster
03-19-2013, 07:54 PM
where is that ignore option?

sloppyjoe
03-19-2013, 07:55 PM

he was hired because of it

kent
03-19-2013, 08:10 PM
What has Cowher done that Tomlin hasnt??

harrison'samonster
03-19-2013, 08:11 PM
What has Cowher done that Tomlin hasnt??

apparently Cowher's teams have been to 4 SB's and won 2 of them. Tomlin is just now starting his coaching career this offseason. :rofl:

kent
03-19-2013, 08:16 PM
apparently Cowher's teams have been to 4 SB's and won 2 of them. Tomlin is just now starting his coaching career this offseason. :rofl:

You would think thats how it is the way some of these people talk. Mike's been and won as many Superbowls in 6 years that Cowher did in 15 years. And Tomlin has a better winning percentage. Come on people on your eyes (and your minds). White or black, Tomlin is a great coach and is going to be our guy for a long time and win more superbowls. BTW I loved Cowher and am in now way trying to talk down on him.

Bane
03-19-2013, 08:38 PM

I considered his career started when he said, "We're gonna unleash hell in December."

:chuckle:

JackH
03-19-2013, 08:43 PM
You would think thats how it is the way some of these people talk. Mike's been and won as many Superbowls in 6 years that Cowher did in 15 years. And Tomlin has a better winning percentage. Come on people on your eyes (and your minds). White or black, Tomlin is a great coach and is going to be our guy for a long time and win more superbowls. BTW I loved Cowher and am in now way trying to talk down on him.

Who are better coaches than Tomlin and Cowher?

Belichick? He'd have a couple less Super Bowl titles if he hadn't cheated, and Cowher would have at least one more.

It's all about the bling, and the Steelers have the most, due in great measure to the coaches.

Why Chuck Noll even made a mistake once when he didn't draft Dan Marino.

Blacksburg Zach
03-19-2013, 08:56 PM

Didn't you know? You can't give Tomlin any credit for his success because of the "Cowher's players" factor. When the Steelers lose, it is always Tomlin's fault, and when they win, it is because of "Cowher's players." He's the worst coach in the National Football League, even though he has led the Steelers to a 63-33 record, three division titles, three 12-4 seasons, 2 AFC titles, and a Super Bowl win in just six seasons, yet the Rooneys won't fire this bum and find a better coach. For as bad of a coach as Tomlin is, the Rooneys sure seem to be having a hard time finding someone better to replace him.

harrison'samonster
03-19-2013, 08:58 PM
I considered his career started when he said, "We're gonna unleash hell in December."

:chuckle:

that was a mistake by a young coach, he's learned from it and he's getting better all the time.

kent
03-19-2013, 09:01 PM
I love how the haters run and hide when people start throwing some facts around.

jb500ex
03-19-2013, 09:02 PM
what are you guys talking about tomlin has done a fantastic job with a franchise qb and a team full of great winning players. i mean he has missed the playoffs in 2 of his 6 years and finished the season without a playoff win in 4 of his 6 seasons. just imagine what he could do with maddox, graham, stewart and odonnell. greatest coach in the league just look at 3 of our last 4 years. we unleashed hell got tebowed and unleashed hell part 2. lets not talk about how poorly they were prepared against a wildcard packers team and how badly that game was coached. i mean that packers team has been a huge playoff powerhouse ever since. i looking forward to this year

harrison'samonster
03-19-2013, 09:06 PM
i looking forward to this year

i looking forward too

kent
03-19-2013, 09:15 PM
i looking forward too

i to

The_Joker
03-19-2013, 09:16 PM
He didn't make any bold predictions or silly guarantees. He said exactly what he should have said. I wouldn't want anything to do with a coach that didn't show confidence in his team and the belief in his team's ability to win. What you're listening to is a man that has made it to the highest level of his profession and has had great success, and the self confidence that comes with that. He believes in himself, in his coaching staff, in his team, and in this organization. I can't believe those of you here that think we're watching the Titanic leave port. You've had a front row seat to the premier franchise in the NFL have an unprecedented 40 year run of excellence. They have been as solid and consistent as any team ever and have won more Super Bowls than anyone. Yet somehow, you think there is now way they can overcome the current situation. They've been here before. They'll be here again. For God's sake, show a little faith in an organization that deserves the benefit of the doubt. Let's face it. They're smarter than me and they're smarter than you.....unbelievable.:doh:

This.

Tomlin haters can suck it.

:thumbsup::tt02::tt03:

MaidenIndiana
03-19-2013, 09:37 PM
I wish the Steelers would fire Tomlin and bring in Sexy Rexy Ryan. Uh oh! Time to back away from the hash pipe

steelerchad
03-19-2013, 10:13 PM

Harrison?
Harrison wasn't Cowher's guy, Joey Porter was. Harrison never started a game until Cowher left. Cowher cut Harrison for Christ's sake.

fer522
03-19-2013, 10:41 PM
what are you guys talking about tomlin has done a fantastic job with a franchise qb and a team full of great winning players. i mean he has missed the playoffs in 2 of his 6 years and finished the season without a playoff win in 4 of his 6 seasons. just imagine what he could do with maddox, graham, stewart and odonnell. greatest coach in the league just look at 3 of our last 4 years. we unleashed hell got tebowed and unleashed hell part 2. lets not talk about how poorly they were prepared against a wildcard packers team and how badly that game was coached. i mean that packers team has been a huge playoff powerhouse ever since. i looking forward to this year

^this^

OliverPoop
03-19-2013, 10:59 PM
Harrison?
Harrison wasn't Cowher's guy, Joey Porter was. Harrison never started a game until Cowher left. Cowher cut Harrison for Christ's sake.

There you go folks one player that wasn't Cowher's guy. Proof positive that Cowher's players had nothing to do with it!

OX1947
03-19-2013, 11:09 PM
There you go folks one player that wasn't Cowher's guy. Proof positive that Cowher's players had nothing to do with it!

Some of you peeps are funny. Harrison wasn't anyone's guy, he was the next in line when Porter couldn't be afforded.

Lady Steel
03-19-2013, 11:14 PM
On the relationship of Haley and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger: "I think it's going to be a healthy one and one that grows. Both guys are geared toward winning and are unselfish from that standpoint."

I'm holding you to this, Tomlin. If it's not true, I'm gonna unleash hell.

tony hipchest
03-20-2013, 12:38 AM
Some of you peeps are funny. Harrison wasn't anyone's guy, he was the next in line when Porter couldn't be afforded.

exactly!

its important to remember that these players are also the rooney's and kevin colbert's guys.

hell. "cowhers guy" was appearantly stacey andrews (or whoever the OL philly drafted) instead of big ben in 03. many fans wanted us to draft either kevin jones or steven jackson to replace bettis (that coulda really blew up in our face). i think thats the same year many fans were coveting either dunta robinson or deangello hall to make up for the failed dewayne washington and charred scott experiment.

lol.... "cowhers players".

cowher kissed kordell. :love:

tony hipchest
03-20-2013, 12:43 AM
kent graham was cowhers players.

rod woodson wasnt cowhers players. he was chuck nolls. cowhers players were charred scott and dewayne washington.

rod woodson won a SB in baltimore and played in another one for the raiders. he also played in one for the steelers becoming the first person to return in the same season with a ripped up knee.

then he was sent packing.

OX1947
03-20-2013, 12:44 AM
exactly!

its important to remember that these players are also the rooney's and kevin colbert's guys.

hell. "cowhers guy" was appearantly stacey andrews (or whoever the OL philly drafted) instead of big ben in 03. many fans wanted us to draft either kevin jones or steven jackson to replace bettis (that coulda really blew up in our face). i think thats the same year many fans were coveting either dunta robinson or deangello hall to make up for the failed dewayne washington and charred scott experiment.

lol.... "cowhers players".

cowher kissed kordell. :love:

People forget that Cowher went to the Super Bowl with Chuck Noll's guy, Neil O'Donnell.

pczach
03-20-2013, 05:22 AM
People seem to forget a lot of things.

Why is it that when fans get frustrated, they lash out at a team that has given them more to cheer about than any other fan base in the last 40 years? Tomlin's resume would land him a coaching job at the highest salary paid to a head coach in this league. Don't tell me it was Cowher's players. They were Steeler's playersfor God's sake. The organization picked them with the input of Cowher, just like they do now with Tomlin. You guys are just reaching for anything to knock this guy. I know he's not perfect. He does need to improve his clock management and clean up some stuff, but C'mon. He's been a great leader of this team and has earned his lofty status around the league.

Terminator
03-20-2013, 05:54 AM
Mike Tomlin has never given a straight answer to any single question since the start of his NFL career. Big whoop.

jiminpa
03-20-2013, 05:59 AM
Tomlin is one the the NFLs great young coaches and will be able to see it through 2-3 non playoff teams just like Cowher. The thing in Pittsburgh is the color of his skin and that is a disgrace!While I can't speak for anyone else, I can speak for myself, and it has absolutely nothing to do with that. But you falsely claiming so says a lot about you.

BowCatShot
03-20-2013, 06:04 AM

He already does.

jiminpa
03-20-2013, 06:04 AM
kent graham was cowhers players.

rod woodson wasnt cowhers players. he was chuck nolls. cowhers players were charred scott and dewayne washington.

rod woodson won a SB in baltimore and played in another one for the raiders. he also played in one for the steelers becoming the first person to return in the same season with a ripped up knee.

then he was sent packing.
They where Donahoe's players, and Donahoe ran Woodson out of town to make room Chad Scott. You can't pin that on Cowher.

Steel_Bus_24
03-20-2013, 06:27 AM
I generally like Tomlin, but theres some things he needs to improve on moving forward

This half ass-ing it bs against mediocre teams has to stop....He needs to get more involved in getting this team focused and motivated. His team leaders now ,are weak and needs to be whipped into shape. Less buddy buddy lets go to the movies Bull Sh** and everything will work itself out mentality.

kent
03-20-2013, 07:25 AM
All the hate all comes back to Steelers nation being so spoiled with success throughout its history. People don't understand the parity of the NFL and are the first to throw people under the bus and point fingers. Damn we were 8-8 and haven't won a super bowl in a few years, think about the franchise's that have never won the big one and lose every year.

steelfury02
03-20-2013, 07:35 AM

you talk as if Tomlin is the next Switzer without saying who would be that much better - newsflash man - you don't seem to remember Cowher was the coach who could never get over the hump until his next to last season before his lame duck exit - he was in Schotty and Marv Levy territory, hell - not even as many SB appearances as Levy so you really need to get off the Cowher>Tomlin argument

Cowher had 3 straight non-playoff appearances - Tomlin has had 2 non playoff seasons (9-7, 8-8 which isn't good enough for Pittsburgh but is something that the Cleveland Browns would love to have on a consistent basis) Cowher had a 9-7 team that made the playoffs so its not like he went 12-4 every season either

it is a transition phase but we are not those teams that pull the trigger at first sign of taking some lumps before getting better again

steelfury02
03-20-2013, 02:54 PM
he has that 'thank you bill cowher' look in his eyes

there's one common factor between the two of them - Colbert, and people need to start re-realizing that and looking at personnel department a little more than blaming the coach who well, coaches the players - isn't in complete charge of picking them

Bill Cowher wasn't there to get "his guys" to 3-1 while his 2xSB winning QB was suspended

Troy has stated that the XLIII team was Tomlin's team and that it remains Tomlin's team - he also said that Tomlin kept them humble, that Tomlin coached them up to remember to turn around and block for the guy who intercepts in the practice leadiing up to XLIII, Troy said Tomlin kept them motivated to be a legendary defense that season, Tomlin told them that it didn't matter how they won, that it was Steeler football and there would be no apologies so enough is enough already - Tomlin is a great coach and his efforts in the 08' season have earned him where he is right now. He also got them back in XLV and many argue that's the one that got away and we'll be right back to where we were at, if only people will give the guy a chance

Steelers5895
03-20-2013, 06:40 PM
Who are better coaches than Tomlin and Cowher?

Belichick? He'd have a couple less Super Bowl titles if he hadn't cheated, and Cowher would have at least one more.

It's all about the bling, and the Steelers have the most, due in great measure to the coaches.

Why Chuck Noll even made a mistake once when he didn't draft Dan Marino.

chuck noll also was quoted as saying he held onto his aging stars out of loyalty and if he didnt he could have rebuilt quicker. no coach is perfect.

there arent many coaches i would take over Tomlin.

Steelers5895
03-20-2013, 06:43 PM
While I can't speak for anyone else, I can speak for myself, and it has absolutely nothing to do with that. But you falsely claiming so says a lot about you.

its my observation. if tomlin was white and coached exactly the way he has with the same success he would be another great steeler head coach. anyone who thinks tomlin is not a good coach does not know football and cant help think why they feel that way the way steelers fans think

LVSteelersfan
03-20-2013, 06:43 PM

Same old crap. Half the players on Tomlin's winning Super Bowl team were ones he drafted. Get a clue.

harrison'samonster
03-20-2013, 06:49 PM
Same old crap. Half the players on Tomlin's winning Super Bowl team were ones he drafted. Get a clue.

not to mention it was Tomlin's team the moment he took over as head coach. The argument that he's won with Cowhers players is ridiculous.

jiminpa
03-21-2013, 03:42 AM
its my observation. if tomlin was white and coached exactly the way he has with the same success he would be another great steeler head coach. anyone who thinks tomlin is not a good coach does not know football and cant help think why they feel that way the way steelers fans thinkSo maybe I don't know football then, but I know a corporate BSer when I hear one. I also know that our offense has underachieved for Tomlin's whole tenure, and that it took ownership stepping in to even make progress in that area. I know our special teams have not even been mediocre, they have been a liability his whole time here. I know that the only facet of the Steelers game that does actually do its job is Dick LeBeau's side of the ball. Tomlin talks like a corporate MBA kiss up, you know the kind who can't actually do anything, and needs to keep his job somehow. Maybe its all an act, great, I hope it is, but then why hasn't he fixed what has been broken from his first season?

jiminpa
03-21-2013, 03:51 AM
Something that I do know is that Tomlin's critics give substantive reasons why they question him as a head coach, but his supporters hurl unfounded accusations against his critics, and cite his superbowl appearances without pointing out what it is that Tomlin did to drive that. It can't legitimately be argued that the any facet but the defense won Tomlin's only championship, anymore than it can be legitimately argued that any facet but the defense got them to the last superbowl.

Steelers5895
03-21-2013, 09:24 AM
So maybe I don't know football then, but I know a corporate BSer when I hear one. I also know that our offense has underachieved for Tomlin's whole tenure, and that it took ownership stepping in to even make progress in that area. I know our special teams have not even been mediocre, they have been a liability his whole time here. I know that the only facet of the Steelers game that does actually do its job is Dick LeBeau's side of the ball. Tomlin talks like a corporate MBA kiss up, you know the kind who can't actually do anything, and needs to keep his job somehow. Maybe its all an act, great, I hope it is, but then why hasn't he fixed what has been broken from his first season?

actually its been the defense that has hurt us in most of Tomlins playoff games and the OFFENSE has stepped up.

The Jags and Baltimore game in 2010 the offense sputtered but in both games the offense came back to overcome their mistakes. They won one and lost the other. The loss to the jags, the defnese gave up the 20+ yard scramble at the end after we took the lead.

Now, Super Bowl 43, the offense had to come back and win that game as the second half they couldnt stop warner.

In Super Bowl 45, defense was totally overmatched and exposed

Tebow killed the defense in 2011

Also, if you look at the 2 years the steelers didnt make the playoffs under tomlin, the offense got off the field at least 5 times each year and the defense gave up a winning drive for the opponent. To inferior teams too...like the raiders, titans, etc

yes, you may not know football it seems.

harrison'samonster
03-21-2013, 09:42 AM
Something that I do know is that Tomlin's critics give substantive reasons why they question him as a head coach, but his supporters hurl unfounded accusations against his critics, and cite his superbowl appearances without pointing out what it is that Tomlin did to drive that. It can't legitimately be argued that the any facet but the defense won Tomlin's only championship, anymore than it can be legitimately argued that any facet but the defense got them to the last superbowl.

i disagree.

steelfury02
03-21-2013, 10:20 AM
gents - the only thing Tomlin can do is coach - he can only get the players attention and motivate them - he is not a tactician, he is a manager and a motivator - he comes from a defensive background and thus usually defers on the offensive side of the ball - he only has a fraction of say into who they bring to the roster every season - he is partially responsible for the successes and failures - the players and personnel department, staff, ownership - everyone else has a fraction of ownership to the outcome of a game/season - it is not on one person

Tomlin, like most other coaches gets too much credit and too much blame at times - he is charge of keeping the team focused (which I think is probably his biggest fault as a coach - keeping fat cat vets hungry and getting young guys to step it up a notch and lose the me-first crap when the game/season is on the line) and he is in charge of keeping everyone on the same page as far as philosophy/approach to the season and to each week's opponents

Tomlin can absolutely improve in his game time / situation management - some of his media drivel is tired but I'm convinced its a part of his strategy - why on earth would he let everyone know what the organization/coaches/players are really thinking behind closed doors? - the facts are, no one new stepped up when things got tough - sometimes its just not in the cards

lastly - Those bashing him have yet to put forward names and reasons why these names would be better at the helm than Tomlin. Of course anyone COULD do better - but the supporters really aren't interested in hearing IFs if you aren't giving Tomlin the benefit of "he could get better."

Blacksburg Zach
03-21-2013, 10:24 AM
actually its been the defense that has hurt us in most of Tomlins playoff games and the OFFENSE has stepped up.

The Jags and Baltimore game in 2010 the offense sputtered but in both games the offense came back to overcome their mistakes. They won one and lost the other. The loss to the jags, the defnese gave up the 20+ yard scramble at the end after we took the lead.

Now, Super Bowl 43, the offense had to come back and win that game as the second half they couldnt stop warner.

In Super Bowl 45, defense was totally overmatched and exposed

Tebow killed the defense in 2011

Also, if you look at the 2 years the steelers didnt make the playoffs under tomlin, the offense got off the field at least 5 times each year and the defense gave up a winning drive for the opponent. To inferior teams too...like the raiders, titans, etc

yes, you may not know football it seems.

False, the Broncos' offense killed the Steelers' defense in the 2011 AFC Wild Card Game. If anything, Thomas did by far the most damage. He took a 10 yard pass and turned it into an 80 yard TD, but Tebow gets all the credit because he's the quarterback, which makes people forget about Thomas' 200 yards receiving on just 4 catches.

steelfury02
03-21-2013, 10:26 AM
False, the Broncos' offense killed the Steelers' defense in the 2011 AFC Wild Card Game. If anything, Thomas did by far the most damage. He took a 10 yard pass and turned it into an 80 yard TD, but Tebow gets all the credit because he's the quarterback, which makes people forget about Thomas' 200 yards receiving on just 4 catches.

Ike and Troy just flat out stunk in open space that game

Hawaii 5-0
03-21-2013, 02:57 PM
Tomlin sacks the likelihood of a Steelers decline

March 20, 2013
By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

PHOENIX -- It might not carry the same bold swagger as his, "We will unleash hell in December" message issued late in the 2009 season.

And it remains to be seen if the directive proves to be more prophetic than that one, which ended up ringing hollow when the Steelers immediately lost their next two games to culminate a five-game losing streak.

But Mike Tomlin had a bold message for those questioning the decline of the Steelers after so many key losses and defections in the offseason.

"That's March talk," Tomlin said. "I'll see you at stadiums in the fall."

Tomlin was not pretending to dismiss what lies ahead for the Steelers in 2013, perhaps even beyond. They have already lost three key starters in free agency -- Mike Wallace, Rashard Mendenhall and Keenan Lewis -- and released two others who were still under contract, Pro Bowl linebacker James Harrison and guard Willie Colon.

What's more, they are not expected to re-sign two other starters who are unrestricted free agents -- tackle Max Starks and nose tackle Casey Hampton.

"I acknowledge that we have a ways to go in a lot of areas," Tomlin said Tuesday at the AFC coaches breakfast at the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa, site of the NFL owners meetings.

"We're a team in transition, as we always are. Players are ascending, players are descending. We're acquiring players and losing players. I think that's part of this time of year. I think that includes some unfortunate transactions, if you will, and you can characterize James [Harrison] as that.

"We respect what he's done throughout his career in Pittsburgh, but we also acknowledge that change is part of football and we look forward to moving forward with a new a cast of characters that will be challenged to deliver in ways that he did."

Tomlin's message is similar to what general manager Kevin Colbert and team president Art Rooney II have maintained since the start of free agency -- the Steelers are not a team that is rebuilding.

At the same time, he never backed off from telling media members at his table that the Steelers "were an 8-8 team and we're not going to hide from that."

He said the Steelers lost five games by three points -- including the final two to Dallas and Cincinnati -- because "we weren't good enough."

Said Tomlin: "I think that good teams win close games. Teams that aren't lose those games. Obviously, we did a year ago. Our goal and our charge moving forward is to be on the other side of that."

But there are questions on both sides of the ball. Here is what Tomlin had to say on several other subjects:
On the performance of his offense in their first year under coordinator Todd Haley:

"I thought we did some good things early. I thought we waned down the stretch."

On the relationship of Haley and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger: "I think it's going to be a healthy one and one that grows. Both guys are geared toward winning and are unselfish from that standpoint. I'm excited about watching it continue to grow."

On using more zone-blocking schemes with new offensive line coach Jack Bicknell Jr.: "We'll lean on the strength of our guys. It's something we're going to explore. But we're not going to move too far from what the guys are capable of doing."

On signing former tight end Matt Spaeth: "Here's a guy who's an aggressive guy, the type of football demeanor that we embrace. He understands how we do business."

On new backup quarterback Bruce Gradkowski: "He's a fiery competitor. I think regardless of circumstances, Bruce has been in a number of cities. I have had the pleasure of competing against him and seeing him do his thing. That's one thing you can't question about him -- he's a football junkie."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/tomlin-sacks-the-likelihood-of-a-steelers-decline-680073/#ixzz2OCM1npc5

jiminpa
03-21-2013, 03:18 PM
gents - the only thing Tomlin can do is coach - he can only get the players attention and motivate them - he is not a tactician, he is a manager and a motivator - he comes from a defensive background and thus usually defers on the offensive side of the ball - he only has a fraction of say into who they bring to the roster every season - he is partially responsible for the successes and failures - the players and personnel department, staff, ownership - everyone else has a fraction of ownership to the outcome of a game/season - it is not on one person

Tomlin, like most other coaches gets too much credit and too much blame at times - he is charge of keeping the team focused (which I think is probably his biggest fault as a coach - keeping fat cat vets hungry and getting young guys to step it up a notch and lose the me-first crap when the game/season is on the line) and he is in charge of keeping everyone on the same page as far as philosophy/approach to the season and to each week's opponents

Tomlin can absolutely improve in his game time / situation management - some of his media drivel is tired but I'm convinced its a part of his strategy - why on earth would he let everyone know what the organization/coaches/players are really thinking behind closed doors? - the facts are, no one new stepped up when things got tough - sometimes its just not in the cards

lastly - Those bashing him have yet to put forward names and reasons why these names would be better at the helm than Tomlin. Of course anyone COULD do better - but the supporters really aren't interested in hearing IFs if you aren't giving Tomlin the benefit of "he could get better."...and it's precisely his coaching that I question.

You want a name, I'll give you a name... Ken Whisenhunt. Not this year, but if the Steelers still look like they are coached by a first year head coach, after seven seasons, I think it's time for the whiz to rejoin the Steelers.

Hawaii 5-0
03-21-2013, 03:24 PM
You want a name, I'll give you a name... Ken Whisenhunt. Not this year, but if the Steelers still look like they are coached by a first year head coach, after seven seasons, I think it's time for the whiz to rejoin the Steelers.

Ben doesn't like Whiz, which is probably one of the main reasons why we didn't hire him in the first place.

Steelers5895
03-21-2013, 06:32 PM

that was one play, he averaged over 20 yards a completion. That was one of, if not, tebows best passing game. so i guess the steelers defense gets a pass that they allowed 10 yard plays to turn into 80 yarders.

Blacksburg Zach
03-21-2013, 06:35 PM
that was one play, he averaged over 20 yards a completion. That was one of, if not, tebows best passing game. so i guess the steelers defense gets a pass that they allowed 10 yard plays to turn into 80 yarders.

No, they do not deserve a pass. Thomas averaged 50 yards per catch, but people give Tebow all the credit when Thomas did the most damage. 200 of Tebow's 316 passing yards were from Thomas' receptions. Yes, they made Tebow look good, but my point was that people make it sound as if it was all Tebow when in reality, Thomas was the guy that hurt them the most.

Steelers5895
03-21-2013, 06:54 PM
No, they do not deserve a pass. Thomas averaged 50 yards per catch, but people give Tebow all the credit when Thomas did the most damage. 200 of Tebow's 316 passing yards were from Thomas' receptions. Yes, they made Tebow look good, but my point was that people make it sound as if it was all Tebow when in reality, Thomas was the guy that hurt them the most.

its not all about the yards,he was unstoppable on 3rd down. our defense to a man sucked that game. we made the worst passing qb in history look like a HOF qb.

harrison'samonster
03-21-2013, 06:55 PM
its not all about the yards,he was unstoppable on 3rd down. our defense to a man sucked that game. we made the worst passing qb in history look like a HOF qb.

i haven't watched that game in a long time, but from what I can remember, Tebow's throws were on the money that game. it's definitely not a game I want to remember.

Steelers5895
03-21-2013, 07:08 PM
i haven't watched that game in a long time, but from what I can remember, Tebow's throws were on the money that game. it's definitely not a game I want to remember.

amen!

vasteeler
03-21-2013, 07:18 PM
i was finally over being pissed off about that game and then i entered this thread:smash:

GODDAMNED TIM TEBOW!!!!!

steelfury02
03-21-2013, 07:33 PM
...and it's precisely his coaching that I question.

No thanks - don't want a guy that got replaced by Bruce Arians

I like Whiz as an OC - not as a coach - same for Dick Lebeau

I remember Whiz getting up there and smiling and putting all his faith in Kolb - not sure how much of that was ownership pressure but I will give Whiz the benefit of the doubt - just don't think he's a good fit for a Steelers head coach - and as was stated - Ben didn't want him around - so, maybe after Tomlin is done and Ben is done Whiz can come try it on for size down the road - although, my guess is he wouldn't want to

fansince'76
03-21-2013, 07:36 PM

Based on his stellar coaching performance in the desert, I presume?

steeltheone
03-22-2013, 12:28 AM

Big time receivers show up in big games. Young Money??

steelfury02
03-22-2013, 08:20 AM
Big time receivers show up in big games. Young Money??

more like young, dumb, and full of drops last season

cowherpower
03-22-2013, 10:18 AM
Based on his stellar coaching performance in the desert, I presume?

Not that I agree with bringing Whiz back as HC...but using your logic, Bellichik with his stellar performance with the Browns would have precluded him from being hired by the Cheatriots. Same goes for Carrol.

steelfury02
03-22-2013, 12:10 PM
Not that I agree with bringing Whiz back as HC...but using your logic, Bellichik with his stellar performance with the Browns would have precluded him from being hired by the Cheatriots. Same goes for Carrol.

Except Carroll was on a downhill slide with the Patriots after following Tuna with Bledsoe - Belicheat didn't do squat until Bledsoe went down and Brady emerged

Carroll was a corner coach with Seahawks before his USC success, came back, and while I think he is a good coach - you have to give Lynch some credit for doing enough to upset Saints as a 7-9 playoff team, and now, I believe Carroll will look even better with his emerging defensive backfield and Wilson at the helm.

Hawaii 5-0
03-22-2013, 03:48 PM
NFL from the sidelines

THURSDAY, MARCH 21, 2013
Posted by Dale Lolley

The sky is not falling

Fans tend to look at things in a vacuum. They are so intent on what's going on with their favorite team that they don't look around at what's happening with everyone else.

And that's what we've had the past couple of weeks with the Steelers, who have released Willie Colon and James Harrison and lost Mike Wallace and Keenan Lewis in free agency.

Depending on who you listen to, the Steelers are looking at having the first-overall pick in next year's draft to being so bad that everyone in the front office and on the coaching staff will be fired.

But when you look at what's happened to the Steelers - none of which was a surprise - it pales in comparison with what's going on in Baltimore.

With Ed Reed's signing with Houston Wednesday, the Ravens are now down eight starters. Eight!

And we're not even close to being done with free agency at this point.

Cincinnati, despite having a ton of salary cap space, has lost linebacker Manny Lawson without making any significant upgrades.

Meanwhile in Cleveland, the Browns have been active in free agency, but are still lacking in the most important position on the field, quarterback.

The bottom line is that nothing happens in a vacuum. And there will be other moves made both in free agency and in the draft.

There's several months for things to play out, including the all-important draft.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2013/03/the-sky-is-not-falling.html

JeromeBetties63
03-23-2013, 03:37 PM

Dumbest comment in history. Pittsburgh is NOT a racist town. Please, please, please don't buy into the ridiculous notion that any criticism of a black leader is racist. That is the default position of people who can't make a reasonable argument. Be above it. :music:

Fire Haley
03-23-2013, 03:51 PM
You want a name, I'll give you a name... Ken Whisenhunt.

BWAhahaha

The Whiz is a fucking loser. He made Arizona fans hate him for his incompetence with QB's - that's pretty hard to do.

Getting shitcanned from the Cards is nothing to write home about either.

Steel95
03-23-2013, 04:00 PM

No, ur the clown! What the hell did you expect him to say? "Oh yes, we will probably go 4-12 this year."

He was sending a message not only to the media, but to his players as well. Regardless, I like the statement. :tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04::tt02::tt02::tt02:

harrison'samonster
03-23-2013, 04:36 PM
In all fairness, Whiz did do pretty well with Dennis Green's players. :jerkit:

harrison'samonster
03-23-2013, 05:02 PM
Dumbest comment in history. Pittsburgh is NOT a racist town. Please, please, please don't buy into the ridiculous notion that any criticism of a black leader is racist. That is the default position of people who can't make a reasonable argument. Be above it. :music:

racism is not limited by geography

Blacksburg Zach
03-23-2013, 05:05 PM
In all fairness, Whiz did do pretty well with Dennis Green's players. :jerkit:

Whiz did well with Dennis Green's players because they were who Whiz thought they were.

Hawaii 5-0
03-23-2013, 05:13 PM
Whiz did well with Dennis Green's players because they were who Whiz thought they were.

that's funny! :sofunny:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQG8ATNlE1t8HdUZXSCXNukHUakeavt3 DCdOnmUSXWoj8bZpjUXkg

harrison'samonster
03-23-2013, 05:23 PM

that is a great one!

Millers the sh!t
03-23-2013, 10:35 PM
So maybe I don't know football then, but I know a corporate BSer when I hear one. I also know that our offense has underachieved for Tomlin's whole tenure, and that it took ownership stepping in to even make progress in that area. I know our special teams have not even been mediocre, they have been a liability his whole time here. I know that the only facet of the Steelers game that does actually do its job is Dick LeBeau's side of the ball. Tomlin talks like a corporate MBA kiss up, you know the kind who can't actually do anything, and needs to keep his job somehow. Maybe its all an act, great, I hope it is, but then why hasn't he fixed what has been broken from his first season?

That's why in my house he's called uncle Tomlin.

OX1947
03-23-2013, 11:48 PM
that's funny! :sofunny:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQG8ATNlE1t8HdUZXSCXNukHUakeavt3 DCdOnmUSXWoj8bZpjUXkg

Greatest meltdown ever...

steelfury02
03-24-2013, 07:18 AM
racism is not limited by geography

just offering my two cents on Pittsburgh and racism

in general, IMO, No - the city of Pittsburgh is not racist - I grew up in and around Pittsburgh, interned, and worked there for a time before I had to move - I would say that there is still a small town mentality in that region in general - which is what makes it so great by the way - I do miss the slower pace and the sense of community :tt02:

however, IMO it is absolutely not as ethnically diverse as most cities I've worked and lived in - I grew up in a household and worked with white and blue collars - and I would def say I've heard way more narrow-mindedness and racist remarks from the Western PA area than anywhere else I've been - don't let me confuse you though - that doesn't paint a picture of everyone - but it is pretty persistent there

there are a TON of people in Western PA and Pittsburgh that for whatever reason feel threatened by change and have no need to look outside their immediate setting. If they are happy with that, that's fine - my assessment though is that those that never left need to get out a little more. Going to the Washington DC/Baltimore area or New York will make you feel reaaaaally small if you've never left Pittsburgh. What is considered new and exciting in Pittsburgh is usually something that has been commonplace for years/decades in larger populations

Surrounding counties are the worse in my experiences with racism - there is plenty of racism in Allegheny, Butler, Mercer, Lawrence, Clarion, Erie all the ways into Indiana, Blair, Bedford, and Cambria. Hell, there IS racism everywhere yet BUT, there is more tolerance for diversity outside of our favorite town. I've heard one too many times in Pittsburgh: "This is our city, and if you don't like it then get the hell out." Well, people have been getting out for a while now and continue to.

Pittsburgh, I love you, but, Toledo has passed you by. TOLEDO. C'mon man. :tt:

pczach
03-24-2013, 07:32 AM

"...and we let them off the hook!"

jiminpa
03-24-2013, 07:29 PM
That's why in my house he's called uncle Tomlin.I read the book "Uncle Tom's Cabin" and the title character is a strong man of strong convictions. It was the theater and, recently, movie versions of the character that are weak kiss ups. If Mike Tomlin started to show the characteristics of the original Uncle Tom I would like him more. I don't know if it would make him a better HC, but I would respect him.

Having said that, calling someone an "uncle tom" as I'm sure you meant is pretty prejudiced. Besides, I've seen more white corporate kiss ups than black ones.

jiminpa
03-24-2013, 07:43 PM
just offering my two cents on Pittsburgh and racism

in general, IMO, No - the city of Pittsburgh is not racist - I grew up in and around Pittsburgh, interned, and worked there for a time before I had to move - I would say that there is still a small town mentality in that region in general - which is what makes it so great by the way - I do miss the slower pace and the sense of community :tt02:

however, IMO it is absolutely not as ethnically diverse as most cities I've worked and lived in - I grew up in a household and worked with white and blue collars - and I would def say I've heard way more narrow-mindedness and racist remarks from the Western PA area than anywhere else I've been - don't let me confuse you though - that doesn't paint a picture of everyone - but it is pretty persistent there

there are a TON of people in Western PA and Pittsburgh that for whatever reason feel threatened by change and have no need to look outside their immediate setting. If they are happy with that, that's fine - my assessment though is that those that never left need to get out a little more. Going to the Washington DC/Baltimore area or New York will make you feel reaaaaally small if you've never left Pittsburgh. What is considered new and exciting in Pittsburgh is usually something that has been commonplace for years/decades in larger populations

Surrounding counties are the worse in my experiences with racism - there is plenty of racism in Allegheny, Butler, Mercer, Lawrence, Clarion, Erie all the ways into Indiana, Blair, Bedford, and Cambria. Hell, there IS racism everywhere yet BUT, there is more tolerance for diversity outside of our favorite town. I've heard one too many times in Pittsburgh: "This is our city, and if you don't like it then get the hell out." Well, people have been getting out for a while now and continue to.

Pittsburgh, I love you, but, Toledo has passed you by. TOLEDO. C'mon man. :tt:I don't know how you can say that Pittsburgh isn't ethnically diverse. Yeah, it used to be very compartmentalized, Polish Hill, Squirrel Hill, Etna, McKees Rocks all having dominant ethnicities, but that has blurred a lot over the last few years, and as the international corporations with headquarters or regional headquarters here have relocated more people the diversity has grown even more. There isn't a neighborhood called New Chennai, but that's only because the Indians didn't centralize as they relocated. What bothers me ethnically about Pittsburgh is that there are still too many racially tense neighborhoods and boroughs. But this is all off topic.