PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin sacks the likelihood of a Steelers decline

Galax Steeler
03-20-2013, 03:59 AM
By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

PHOENIX -- It might not carry the same bold swagger as his, "We will unleash hell in December" message issued late in the 2009 season.

And it remains to be seen if the directive proves to be more prophetic than that one, which ended up ringing hollow when the Steelers immediately lost their next two games to culminate a five-game losing streak.

But Mike Tomlin had a bold message for those questioning the decline of the Steelers after so many key losses and defections in the offseason.

"That's March talk," Tomlin said. "I'll see you at stadiums in the fall."

Tomlin was not pretending to dismiss what lies ahead for the Steelers in 2013, perhaps even beyond. They have already lost three key starters in free agency -- Mike Wallace, Rashard Mendenhall and Keenan Lewis -- and released two others who were still under contract, Pro Bowl linebacker James Harrison and guard Willie Colon.

What's more, they are not expected to re-sign two other starters who are unrestricted free agents -- tackle Max Starks and nose tackle Casey Hampton.

"I acknowledge that we have a ways to go in a lot of areas," Tomlin said Tuesday at the AFC coaches breakfast at the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa, site of the NFL owners meetings.

"We're a team in transition, as we always are. Players are ascending, players are descending. We're acquiring players and losing players. I think that's part of this time of year. I think that includes some unfortunate transactions, if you will, and you can characterize James [Harrison] as that.

"We respect what he's done throughout his career in Pittsburgh, but we also acknowledge that change is part of football and we look forward to moving forward with a new a cast of characters that will be challenged to deliver in ways that he did."

Tomlin's message is similar to what general manager Kevin Colbert and team president Art Rooney II have maintained since the start of free agency -- the Steelers are not a team that is rebuilding.

At the same time, he never backed off from telling media members at his table that the Steelers "were an 8-8 team and we're not going to hide from that."

He said the Steelers lost five games by three points -- including the final two to Dallas and Cincinnati -- because "we weren't good enough."

Said Tomlin: "I think that good teams win close games. Teams that aren't lose those games. Obviously, we did a year ago. Our goal and our charge moving forward is to be on the other side of that."

But there are questions on both sides of the ball. Here is what Tomlin had to say on several other subjects:

On the performance of his offense in their first year under coordinator Todd Haley:

"I thought we did some good things early. I thought we waned down the stretch."

On the relationship of Haley and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger: "I think it's going to be a healthy one and one that grows. Both guys are geared toward winning and are unselfish from that standpoint. I'm excited about watching it continue to grow."

On using more zone-blocking schemes with new offensive line coach Jack Bicknell Jr.: "We'll lean on the strength of our guys. It's something we're going to explore. But we're not going to move too far from what the guys are capable of doing."

On signing former tight end Matt Spaeth: "Here's a guy who's an aggressive guy, the type of football demeanor that we embrace. He understands how we do business."

On new backup quarterback Bruce Gradkowski: "He's a fiery competitor. I think regardless of circumstances, Bruce has been in a number of cities. I have had the pleasure of competing against him and seeing him do his thing. That's one thing you can't question about him -- he's a football junkie."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/tomlin-sacks-the-likelihood-of-a-steelers-decline-680073/#ixzz2O4JmjeSS

BowCatShot
03-20-2013, 06:14 AM
"Tomlin's message is similar to what general manager Kevin Colbert and team president Art Rooney II have maintained since the start of free agency -- the Steelers are not a team that is rebuilding."

These people will tell you night's day.

Kingmagyar
03-20-2013, 02:03 PM
Did someone ask him if he's picked up the How to book on using timeouts and challenging plays? or for that matter atempting incredibly long field goals? It needs to start with him as well as he needs to become a whole lot better game manager out there as he cost single handedly last year like two games just from complete stupidity. At least he did admit it to the media afterwards that he made a mistake though.

Steelers>NFL
03-20-2013, 02:19 PM
"Tomlin's message is similar to what general manager Kevin Colbert and team president Art Rooney II have maintained since the start of free agency -- the Steelers are not a team that is rebuilding."

These people will tell you night's day.

Isn't Rooney a Democrat? That might explain why they would say night is day. Or Steelers not rebuilding. Or they do not have a salary cap problem!...

casteeler
03-20-2013, 02:39 PM
I couldn't imagine Tomlin or anyone else in the orginization saying 2013 will be worse. I'm critical of Tomlin because of what a talent-rich team looked like against teams like the Chiefs and Titans but knowing that the team was injury plagued and possibly suffered from locker room turmoil is slightly soothing. I really hope that the Steeler orginization has something up their sleeve because after last season and a painful FA period things look concerning

BowCatShot
03-21-2013, 07:40 AM
Isn't Rooney a Democrat? That might explain why they would say night is day. Or Steelers not rebuilding. Or they do not have a salary cap problem!...

It's far worse than that. He's both a Democrat AND a lawyer.

But then, everything depends on what is is.

steelfury02
03-21-2013, 08:00 AM
I couldn't imagine Tomlin or anyone else in the orginization saying 2013 will be worse. I'm critical of Tomlin because of what a talent-rich team looked like against teams like the Chiefs and Titans but knowing that the team was injury plagued and possibly suffered from locker room turmoil is slightly soothing. I really hope that the Steeler orginization has something up their sleeve because after last season and a painful FA period things look concerning

I absolutely think injuries and Wallace/Mendy BS helped take the focus off but even in competing years, they tend to play down to the competition - problem is, they did it one too many times this season.

I think some Steelers fans, including myself, get pissed off in the middle of a game we should be winning with the players we have and see Tomlin and the players have this ho-hum look on their faces - its hard not to get pissed because I'm passionate but that is also part of them being professionals - not letting certain situations get to them so they can act clearly

steeltheone
03-21-2013, 08:07 AM
The difference this year will be that we will not clearly be the most talented team on paper or on the field like we have been in the past decade.

OX1947
03-21-2013, 11:00 AM
Stop talking. Finish lousy teams on the road in the 4th. And control your Numbskull quarterback.

OX1947
03-21-2013, 11:02 AM
It's far worse than that. He's both a Democrat AND a lawyer.

But then, everything depends on what is is.

Rooney's have been lifelong Republicans, they voted Democrap because they love black people. True story.

BowCatShot
03-21-2013, 03:00 PM
Rooney's have been lifelong Republicans, they voted Democrap because they love black people. True story.

I don't believe they're that stupid. The Republicans have done far more for black people than the Democrats ever will. Starting with Lincoln and continuing to this day. If you visit any town in the country, the poorest neighborhoods are always the black neighborhoods. That's largely because of the Democratic party screwing the blacks. It was the Democrats who were staunch supporters of slavery and segregation. The Rooneys are smart enough to know this.

teegre
03-21-2013, 03:03 PM

They liked Obama. They liked the idea of change.

But, Yes, they were registered (& voted) Republican up until 2008.

But... once again, why are we discussing the politcan leanings of The Rooneys??? (Not directed at YOU; directed at everyone here.)

teegre
03-21-2013, 03:15 PM
I don't believe they're that stupid. The Republicans have done far more for black people than the Democrats ever will. Starting with Lincoln and continuing to this day. If you visit any town in the country, the poorest neighborhoods are always the black neighborhoods. That's largely because of the Democratic party screwing the blacks. It was the Democrats who were staunch supporters of slavery and segregation. The Rooneys are smart enough to know this.

Ah... so that is why the sack totals went down.

Interesting.

I would have sworn that Harrison's knee not being 100% until December and/or Woodley's fat hamstring was the cause for the low sack totals, but now I realize that the sack totals are a direct result of Obama being in office. Thanks... because, truly, that "fact" would have escaped me otherwise.

Hawaii 5-0
03-21-2013, 03:32 PM
Ah... so that is why the sack totals went down.

Interesting.

now I realize that the sack totals are a direct result of Obama being in office. Thanks... because, truly, that "fact" would have escaped me otherwise.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSkPLCPYnuJjxULgdKmhgnUXDMdS7ohU rktFVAx4LGEyxrCsb45GQ

harrison'samonster
03-21-2013, 03:40 PM

interesting theory. some would argue that poverty is a result of legacy of slavery and the institutional destruction of the African American family.

And as for Democrats being the supporters of slavery, are you aware that at the time of slavery, southerners (or what is considered modern day Republicans) were the Democrats? It wasn't until the 1960's and the civil rights movements that the good ole' boys finally switched over to Republican.

harrison'samonster
03-21-2013, 03:46 PM
not that the northerners were concerned with helping the slaves either. Grant's main military strategy was sending wave after wave of German and Irish immigrants to their death. They sure weren't fighting for the slaves.

steelfury02
03-21-2013, 04:09 PM
and THAT is why Billy Dee Williams was able to become the Lando we know today

without Lincoln, there is no Colt 45 spokesman - there is only terrible malt liquor when all you have is $2.78 in your pocket

http://lazytechguys.zippykidcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/colt45web.jpeg

jacobo
03-21-2013, 05:16 PM
What has this thread turned into? ;_;

harrison'samonster
03-21-2013, 05:19 PM

sorry, i tried not to ruin this thread. I just don't understand why people want to bring politics into Steelers talk. I don't care if somebody's conservative, liberal, or something in between, We're all Steelers fans!

steelfury02
03-21-2013, 07:44 PM
sorry, i tried not to ruin this thread. I just don't understand why people want to bring politics into Steelers talk. I don't care if somebody's conservative, liberal, or something in between, We're all Steelers fans!

Billy Dee says "I don't always talk politics, but when I do I pitch Colt 45 on a Steelers Fan Forum"

steelfury02
03-21-2013, 07:44 PM

can I just say I can't help but re-read your signature 5,000 times and laugh every single time? that is hilarious

OX1947
03-22-2013, 01:43 AM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSkPLCPYnuJjxULgdKmhgnUXDMdS7ohU rktFVAx4LGEyxrCsb45GQ

ahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahhahahahhahaahhahahaha

OX1947
03-22-2013, 01:44 AM
and THAT is why Billy Dee Williams was able to become the Lando we know today

without Lincoln, there is no Colt 45 spokesman - there is only terrible malt liquor when all you have is $2.78 in your pocket

http://lazytechguys.zippykidcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/colt45web.jpeg

Well hello, what do we have here? hahahahhahhahhahahahhahahhahahahha

ricardisimo
03-22-2013, 03:11 AM
Did someone ask him if he's picked up the How to book on using timeouts and challenging plays? or for that matter atempting incredibly long field goals? It needs to start with him as well as he needs to become a whole lot better game manager out there as he cost single handedly last year like two games just from complete stupidity. At least he did admit it to the media afterwards that he made a mistake though.
Someone here was kind enough to break down Tomlin's challenge rate. As I recall he was on the proper end of mediocrity, and the coaches who won more challenges were not necessarily winning games. I think we can drop that critique.

There are legitimate gripes against Tomlin, like taking six weeks to make some point about accountability, only to fire a backup special teamer, instead of benching the likes of Wallace, a player who I believe richly deserved a demotion or two. That shit gets old.

Buddha Bus
03-22-2013, 03:27 AM
There are legitimate gripes against Tomlin, like taking six weeks to make some point about accountability, only to fire a backup special teamer, instead of benching the likes of Wallace, a player who I believe richly deserved a demotion or two. That shit gets old.

This is a fair critique of Tomlin. His approach to discipline reminds me of when my sister and I were kids fighting in the backseat and my dad threatening to "turn this car around!". We eventually figured out he wasn't going to actually do it and it didn't work on us anymore. I'm wondering if Tomlin's players are starting to figure that out too.

I guess he did actually try to start backing his threats up this past season, but he overcompensated the other way benching every single RB in the game against the Browns in Cleveland. It was a little too scorched earth and I don't think it did much for anyone's confidence. He needed a high profile example, not a "mass murder".

Neither approach has worked out all that successfully to date. He needs to find a happy medium.

Riddle_Of_Steel
03-22-2013, 12:57 PM

Why do you have to bring politics into a Steelers discussion?

Are you trying to tell us that Republicans and conservatives are hypocrisy-free? Pffft. Puh-lease, neo-cons are so desperate to claim the opposite of every thing that comes out of Obama's mouth, that they outflanked themselves into corners and brought us such choice nuggets like:

* legitimate rape
* granny death panels
* Obama as a Muslim or radical Christian (is he both or neither?)
* the entire Obama birther movement (he let people hold and fondle the actual birth certificate from the Hawaiian registry for christ's sake)

Republicans are desperate; they feel the jaws of political extinction nipping at their heels. Like a drowning swimmer, they grab at any handhold they can find, even raking their stupid crap up in sports message boards.

Steelers>NFL
03-22-2013, 01:04 PM

Are you trying to tell us that Republicans and conservatives are hypocrisy-free? Pffft. Puh-lease, neo-cons are so desperate to claim the opposite of every thing that comes out of Obama's mouth, that they outflanked themselves into corners and brought us such choice nuggets like:

* legitimate rape
* granny death panels
* the entire Obama birther movement (he let people hold and fondle the actual birth certificate from the Hawaiian registry for christ's sake)

Republicans are desperate; they feel the jaws of political extinction nipping at their heels. Like a drowning swimmer, they grab at any handhold they can find, even raking their stupid crap up in sports message boards.

I did not purposely make this a political thing. It was meant as a sarcasm comment. Meaning Steelers are in cap hell, just as US is in debt crisis. Common thing for both is that they are run by a democratic. It was a joke, more or less.

Riddle_Of_Steel
03-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Wow. Been away for a few weeks and cannot believe the amazing amount of negativity that has grown up around here since then.

For heaven's sake, lets keep things in perspective, people. The Steelers lost three games by 3 points or less, I believe. They also lost two games where they were down 4 cornerbacks in one game, and two starters in another. Their franchise QB was also badly hurt during that span, and also became a new dad.

They had a system in place that was working but got derailed by injuries at midseason. Had a few balls bounced our way, neither of the above doomsday scenarios happens, or Wallace catches two more passes, we'd be looking at 10-6 or 11-5 instead of 8-8.

We all agreed for months, even years, that there were a number of fat cats on the roster that were getting paid but not producing. They let them go so we can replace them with younger, cheaper talent. That is the Steelers way.

Was the loss of a few favorite players too much for this fanbase to handle? There is no salary cap problem anymore. They are doing the right things this offseason. They let the lockerrooom distraction go somewhere else to get his young money bling. They let the oft-injured and penalized Colon go. They let a troubled Mendenhall go. They will be leaving a 2-down aging veteran Hampton go so a younger and hungrier Steve Mclendon can take over. They are letting Harrison go after he refused to renogotiate for a hometown discount to retire in the burgh,

That is the Steelers way.

Has nothing to do with the Rooneys political affiliation at all. What they said is correct. The Steelers will be fine and will compete for a title.

OX1947
03-22-2013, 01:09 PM

* legitimate rape
* granny death panels

GIVE ME BACK MY SON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!