PDA

View Full Version : Helmet rule passes

Fire Haley
03-20-2013, 12:44 PM
Well, that was fast.

Faced with concerns from coaches but possible litigation worries arising from current and future players, owners voted on Wednesday to outlaw the use of the crown of the helmet by offensive or defensive players in the open field.

Per Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, the rule passed by a “wide margin.” (It’ll be interesting to know who opposed it, and whether there was a closer initial vote followed by a more comfortable second tally.)

And so the ultimate reality show will have another layer of reality this year, with players and coaches and media and fans complaining about the latest effort to make safer an inherently unsafe endeavor.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

------------------

Hello flag football - fuck you Goodell

Vis
03-20-2013, 12:51 PM
Well, that was fast.

Faced with concerns from coaches but possible litigation worries arising from current and future players, owners voted on Wednesday to outlaw the use of the crown of the helmet by offensive or defensive players in the open field.

Per Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, the rule passed by a “wide margin.” (It’ll be interesting to know who opposed it, and whether there was a closer initial vote followed by a more comfortable second tally.)

And so the ultimate reality show will have another layer of reality this year, with players and coaches and media and fans complaining about the latest effort to make safer an inherently unsafe endeavor.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

------------------

Hello flag football - fuck you Goodell

It doesn't hurt the Steelers. None of the RB's get anywhere near the open field.

Steel_Bus_24
03-20-2013, 12:59 PM
http://i.minus.com/iEp9bqsrAYEeS.gif

As much as I love the Steelers and coming on here an talking football.....Im dangerously close to letting go

This rule is bull s***.....People can try an rationalize it all they want but it still boils down to the NFL Office trying to legislate violence and physical battle out of the game....

Theres a reason not all athletes play the game of football.....not only do you have to be extremely athletic and strong, but you also have to be able/willing to put your body through the grinder.

And make no mistake about it....The NFL owners don't really give a **** about player safety.....These absurd rule changes are all part of their plan to protect themselves in a lawsuit and turn the fans against the former players at the same time..

The game of football is getting caught up and ruined by the NFL's Owners and former players war for more money

Vis
03-20-2013, 01:03 PM
Jeff Fisher calls helmet rule “a huge victory for the NFL”

Rams coach Jeff Fisher is a member of the NFL Competition Committee and has been the most vocal proponent of the new rule that bans runners from leading with the crown of their helmets outside the tackle box, and he was elated when the rule passed today.

Fisher told Andrew Siciliano on NFL Network that the new rule is a major step forward as the NFL continues to try to take brain injuries out of the game.

“I think this is a huge victory for the National Football League,” Fisher said. “Here’s how the game should be played: Let’s bring the shoulder back. We’ve lost the shoulder in the game. Let’s bring it back.”

Fisher said concerns that flags will be thrown any time a running back tries to break a tackle are unfounded.

“It’s not going to be over-officiated,” Fisher said. “The key thing here is you can deliver a blow with shoulder, with face, with hairline. It’s just deliberately striking with the crown, the top of the helmet.”

Fisher said he understands that players oppose the rule, but he said that everyone who has studied it — from coaches to medical personnel to officials — has agreed that this rule needs to be passed.

“Every step along the way we’ve been unanimous,” Fisher said. “If the players knew the amount of time that went into this they’d have a better understanding.”

The owners definitely bought into it: The new rule passed 31-1, with only the Bengals opposed.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/20/jeff-fisher-calls-helmet-rule-a-huge-victory-for-the-nfl/

Fire Haley
03-20-2013, 01:03 PM
more rules for the refs to fuck up

that's how I see it

the pussification of football is just about complete

Fire Haley
03-20-2013, 01:07 PM
the good news

The Tuck Rule is no more

The NFL owners voted Wednesday to wipe out the Tuck Rule at their meetings in Phoenix. With the rule eliminated, quarterbacks who pump fake and lose the ball while trying to bring it back into their torso will be deemed to have fumbled. Before the change, such a play would be ruled an incompletion.

now watch Ben get screwed

Vis
03-20-2013, 01:08 PM
the good news

The Tuck Rule is no more

The NFL owners voted Wednesday to wipe out the Tuck Rule at their meetings in Phoenix. With the rule eliminated, quarterbacks who pump fake and lose the ball while trying to bring it back into their torso will be deemed to have fumbled. Before the change, such a play would be ruled an incompletion.

The Raiders will get their SB rings in a private ceremony this weekend.

Vis
03-20-2013, 01:10 PM
Gerry Dulac ‏@gerrydulac 20s

Steelers only team to vote against amending tuck rule. "We like it the way it was," Art Rooney II said.

Bane
03-20-2013, 01:16 PM
Considering the Steelers have to play the Vikings this year, William Gay just breathed a sigh of relief.

Fire Haley
03-20-2013, 01:20 PM
The game of football is getting caught up and ruined by the NFL's Owners and former players war for more money

The XFL was ahead of its time

MACH1
03-20-2013, 01:30 PM
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/s480x480/734247_600928646601803_382331070_n.jpg

Steelers>NFL
03-20-2013, 01:35 PM
Gerry Dulac ‏@gerrydulac 20s

Steelers only team to vote against amending tuck rule. "We like it the way it was," Art Rooney II said.

Ben liked it the way it was! The way he stands back there like the statue of liberty!

stb_steeler
03-20-2013, 01:36 PM
the good news

The Tuck Rule is no more

If tuck rule is abolished, shouldnt a certain SB be with drawn from a few years back. (Just sayin)......:wink02:

Bane
03-20-2013, 01:45 PM
If tuck rule is abolished, shouldnt a certain SB be with drawn from a few years back. (Just sayin)......:wink02:

Should be from the Ravens too, since it was still in play this year. Peyton Manning "tucked" and the ball was knocked out, then was counted as a fumble. I'm not the only one to see it either, as I heard a reporter talking about it the other day on the radio.

Millers the sh!t
03-20-2013, 01:47 PM
There goes a bunch of 4 and one conversions...... Put your head down and run. That's how you get those tough yards. All of a sudden a 4th and 1 becomes a first down negated and a 4th and 16.... Games turning to shit more and more. I'll be done with this sport within 3-5 Years. I'll be retiring from being a fan of the NFL when Ben retires I think... Goodells a piece of shit. Btw the Bengals are the only team to vote against this garbage rule. Just another rule to impede a running game...... Boooooooo to u Goodell and all 31 teams besides the Bengals that were shitty puppets and blindfully going along with this change in philosophy and culture o the game. These douchebag refs already have enough power, control, and responsibility that completely bad or, influenced calls that mess games up and
Dry fuck a win right out of poor team every week.

Stairway to 7
03-20-2013, 01:59 PM
There will be no NFL in 50 years, we have seen its best days come and go, the game is slowly being ruined by these h and s creeps.

Vis
03-20-2013, 02:04 PM
There goes a bunch of 4 and one conversions...... Put your head down and run. That's how you get those tough yards. All of a sudden a 4th and 1 becomes a first down negated and a 4th and 16.... Games turning to shit more and more. I'll be done with this sport within 3-5 Years. I'll be retiring from being a fan of the NFL when Ben retires I think... Goodells a piece of shit. Btw the Bengals are the only team to vote against this garbage rule. Just another rule to impede a running game...... Boooooooo to u Goodell and all 31 teams besides the Bengals that were shitty puppets and blindfully going along with this change in philosophy and culture o the game. These douchebag refs already have enough power, control, and responsibility that completely bad or, influenced calls that mess games up and
Dry fuck a win right out of poor team every week.

Um......it's specifically allowed between the tackles. It's only a penalty in the open field.

TRH
03-20-2013, 02:06 PM
the good news

The Tuck Rule is no more

you mean Brady, don't you?

TRH
03-20-2013, 02:11 PM
RB's such as Matte Forte, who loudly vocalized their opposition to this rule are absolutely 100% correct. Now - they can't put their head down when they're ready to take a hit??
What "rule" are they going to pass when the 1st player gets decapitated because they were afraid to put their head down when there's an imminent collision?

I've said this dozens of times before - in OUR lifetimes, you WILL see, at minimum, a league where you will not be able to touch or hit the QB (similar to kickers and punters now...). And thats minimum. It will likely stretch much farther beyond that.
Folks, you will see that much (we are all going to live to see it).........i guarantee it. If ambulance chasing lawyers continue at their current pace with their money-green colored glasses, complete flag football of some kind at least, is not out of the question.
The NFL as we all have known it is disappearing before our very eyes.

As someone above said - i'm dangerously close to letting this hobby/passion go myself.

harrison'samonster
03-20-2013, 02:20 PM
i don't like this rule and I'm not going to try and defend it, but haven't we all pointed out that some helmet to helmet collisions occur because offensive players lower their heads and a clean hit ends up hitting them in the helmet?

I don't see this rule as something very new considering they've been making bs helmet to helmet calls the last few years, but it's going to depend a lot on how they call it in the game.

Vis
03-20-2013, 02:53 PM
New helmet-use rule is more narrow, limited than believed

The Commissioner’s traditional end-of-meetings press conference quickly morphed into a panel discussion, with a variety of coaches, executives, and officials explaining to the media (and, necessarily, to everyone else) the ins-and-outs of the new rule regarding the use of the helmet.

While Falcons president Rich McKay acknowledged that the new rule is a “pretty major change,” the new rule is much narrower and limited than many believe.

The new rule prohibits ball carriers and defensive players from initiating contact in the open field with the crown of the helmet. The crown, as explained by Rams coach Jeff Fisher, is the top of the helmet. The facemask and hairline of the helmet may still be used to initiate contact.

Fisher emphasized that ball carriers will be permitted to protect themselves, by dropping their pads and dipping their helmets. A foul arises only if the top of the helmet is used to ram the opponent.

In that way, the new rule is an extension of the rule against spearing, which in NFL parlance means hitting a player who is on the ground with the crown (top) of the helmet.

Also, the blow with the top of the helmet must be “forcible,” a know-it-when-you-see-it standard that could potentially cause reasonable minds to differ. As a result, the decision will be treated as a judgment call, not subject to replay review.

These types of hits are not rare. The league office studied every game during two weeks of the 2012 season — Week 10 and Week 16 — and determined that 11 total hits during those 32 games would have drawn flags. To the extent those numbers can be extrapolated, that’s one flag for illegal use of the crown of the helmet in the open field every three games.

McKay explained that the league hopes the new rule will trickle down to the lower levels of the sport, like other safety-related changes. McKay specifically pointed to the adoption of the horse-collar rule at the college and high school level.

So it’s not as bad as some think, and anyone who still doesn’t like it has plenty of time to work through the various stages of grief and arrive at acceptance before the Cowboys and Dolphins suit up in early August for the Hall of Fame game.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/20/new-helmet-use-rule-is-more-narrow-limited-than-believed/

If it is really called as it was explained here it shouldn't change much. And it doesn't apply between the tackles. Big IF's but we'll see.

sloppyjoe
03-20-2013, 02:58 PM
wouldnt it just be easier to explain the consequences of getting hit in the head to the players and have them sign a waiver to play?

these dumbfricks want to play for all the money they can and then sue later for more because the league made them spear each other.............

casteeler
03-20-2013, 02:59 PM
It doesn't hurt the Steelers. None of the RB's get anywhere near the open field.

HA!!

Vis
03-20-2013, 03:02 PM
wouldnt it just be easier to explain the consequences of getting hit in the head to the players and have them sign a waiver to play?

these dumbfricks want to play for all the money they can and then sue later for more because the league made them spear each other.............

No. No one who doesn't have direct experience with traumatic brain injuries can truly give informed consent. If your family was dealing with this type of injury you would never suggest this. You would see it as ignorant and heartless. Perhaps 10% of my clients have TBIs and while some might and some might not choose death like some former players have, every one of them would give every penny they have if they could just go back to before.

koFW1U1Grdo

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/230120_513020948740064_1832948653_n.jpg

Preachy? Yes but no other injury changes who you are. A brain injury can. Every aspect of your personality can be altered. You can lose the ability to recognize faces. You can forget your children.

I don't know whether this new rule will actually help anyone or if it will be overused by the refs but the result of head trauma should not be mocked or minimized.

Steel_Bus_24
03-20-2013, 03:20 PM
If it is really called as it was explained here it shouldn't change much. And it doesn't apply between the tackles. Big IF's but we'll see.

which it won't be....same as the wr bull sh**......anything that looks too rough, they'll be throwing that sh**

These assbags aren't going to be happy until its a glorified 7on7 drill with basketball scores....

That ought to make all the Fantasy Football players happy right:jerkit:

sloppyjoe
03-20-2013, 03:24 PM
No. No one who doesn't have direct experience with traumatic brain injuries can truly give informed consent. If your family was dealing with this type of injury you would never suggest this. You would see it as ignorant and heartless. Perhaps 10% of my clients have TBIs and while some might and some might not choose death like some former players have, every one of them would give every penny they have if they could just go back to before.

koFW1U1Grdo

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/230120_513020948740064_1832948653_n.jpg

Preachy? Yes but no other injury changes who you are. A brain injury can. Every aspect of your personality can be altered. You can lose the ability to recognize faces. You can forget your children.

I don't know whether this new rule will actually help anyone or if it will be overused by the refs but the result of head trauma should not be mocked or minimized.

so you're saying that the players should voluntarily play a sport were they know they could be severly injuried just for the money and then encourage them to sue the nfl for head injuries that they may have gotten from playing?

i dont get it.
thats as stupid as people suing the cigarette companys for getting lung cancer or suing the beer companies to pay for the legal costs after getting a dui.

'hey trojan, i need you to pay for my kid the next 25 years, i used your product and it broke'...........

nobody is forcing these guys to play or forcing them to spear each other on purpose

Vis
03-20-2013, 03:33 PM
so you're saying that the players should voluntarily play a sport were they know they could be severly injuried just for the money and then encourage them to sue the nfl for head injuries that they may have gotten from playing?

i dont get it.
thats as stupid as people suing the cigarette companys for getting lung cancer or suing the beer companies to pay for the legal costs after getting a dui.

nobody is forcing these guys to play or forcing them to spear each other on purpose

I'm saying that if the sport can be made safer it should. I'm saying that most people don't understand what it means to have a brain injury. People can understand a knee injury or even paralysis but this is different. Add to that the fact that the NFL knew about the risks and the consequences and had an internist (not a neurologist) offer up a bullshit report saying there wasn't evidence of brain injuries when they knew it was bullshit.

The attitude you exhibit, that these gladiators choose this dangerous sport for our entertainment while we demand it be as bloody and devastating as possible just for the fans thrills is the attitude that will lead to the end of the sport. If football ever takes the position that it can't be made safer the conversation will change to whether football is safe enough to exist. Would you really want that to be the conversation?

Steel_Bus_24
03-20-2013, 03:48 PM
I'm saying that if the sport can be made safer it should. I'm saying that most people don't understand what it means to have a brain injury. People can understand a knee injury or even paralysis but this is different. Add to that the fact that the NFL knew about the risks and the consequences and had an internist (not a neurologist) offer up a bullshit report saying there wasn't evidence of brain injuries when they knew it was bullshit.

The attitude you exhibit, that these gladiators choose this dangerous sport for our entertainment while we demand it be as bloody and devastating as possible just for the fans thrills is the attitude that will lead to the end of the sport. If football ever takes the position that it can't be made safer the conversation will change to whether football is safe enough to exist. Would you really want that to be the conversation?

Bull.....they haven't outlawed boxing,ufc, or hockey so they damm sure aren't getting rid of the NFL if it remained a dominate contact sport. This is all about the war between the former players and the owners.

Vis
03-20-2013, 04:02 PM
Bull.....they haven't outlawed boxing,ufc, or hockey so they damm sure aren't getting rid of the NFL if it remained a dominate contact sport. This is all about the war between the former players and the owners.

Hockey is changing too. Boxing is illegal in some states. This isn't a war about former players. Nothing they do know helps in those suits. That's not the way it works. What they do now can keep Congress out of it. What they do know can prevent some injuries. Every brain injury prevented is a good thing.

We will never go back to the ignorant days of calling it just getting your bell rung. The publicity on every brain injury, every Mike Webster like sob story, every early retirement from concussions, and every diagnosis from the examination of a dead former players brain will hurt the sport from the earliest stages. Moms want to think it can be a safe game to play. They don't want to hear fans saying they want it dangerous because it's more fun that way.

Vis
03-20-2013, 04:05 PM

Why are you a fan of the game if you have such resentment towards the players you call dumbfricks? Do their injuries make you feel better about them making more than you? Do you root for the golf cart to be needed?

Steeldude
03-20-2013, 04:05 PM
Someone needs to start a new pro football league. The NFL is getting worse each season.

The rule is completely moronic. There is a huge grey area. Now ball carriers in the open field cannot get small. They must subject themselves to harm.

Goodell is by far the worst sports commissioner in the history of sports.

Vis
03-20-2013, 04:06 PM
Someone needs to start a new pro football league. The NFL is getting worse each season.

The rule is completely moronic. There is a huge grey area. Now ball carriers in the open field cannot get small. They must subject themselves to harm.

Goodell is by far the worst sports commissioner in the history of sports.

You didn't read Fisher's statement.. And Goodell didn't do this, Fisher and the rest of the competition commitee did.

Steel_Bus_24
03-20-2013, 04:10 PM
Hockey is changing too. Boxing is illegal in some states. This isn't a war about former players. Nothing they do know helps in those suits. That's not the way it works. What they do now can keep Congress out of it. What they do know can prevent some injuries. Every brain injury prevented is a good thing.

We will never go back to the ignorant days of calling it just getting your bell rung. The publicity on every brain injury, every Mike Webster like sob story, every early retirement from concussions, and every diagnosis from the examination of a dead former players brain will hurt the sport from the earliest stages. Moms want to think it can be a safe game to play. They don't want to hear fans saying they want it dangerous because it's more fun that way.

If Boxing brought in more money it would be in every state.....this is all about money..The NFL owners don't want to set up a retirement plan for ex-players...so the ex-players are using this as a weapon

Vis
03-20-2013, 04:15 PM
If Boxing brought in more money it would be in every state.....this is all about money..The NFL owners don't want to set up a retirement plan for ex-players...so the ex-players are using this as a weapon

The suits will result in the NFL covering the football related care for life. That's just fair. The NFL wanting to then limit injuries that require a lifetime of care is appropriate even if it is just about saving the dollar and not about caring about the players who made them so rich.

Vis
03-20-2013, 04:33 PM
Jerry Rice likens helmet rule to “powder puff football”
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 20, 2013, 4:19 PM EDT
Jerry Rice AP

The man who was recently voted the greatest player in NFL history is not on board with the NFL’s latest attempt to make the game safer.

Jerry Rice, who was named in an NFL Network poll as the top player ever to play the game, said on NFL Live that he has a serious problem with the owners’ decision to start penalizing ball carriers if they initiate contact with the top of the helmet outside the tackle box.

“I know the players are going to adjust and it’s all about protecting the players, but football is football,” Rice said. “Now, do you want to turn this into like a powder puff football? Because guys have to be able to protect themselves. You can’t lead with the crown of the helmet, I know that. [This is the thing that's now illegal and he agrees with it] But when you’re out in the open field, you’ve got to be able to drop your shoulders and deliver a blow.” [This is still legal under the new rule. in fact it's what they want you to do, use the shoulder pads]

NFL Live host Trey Wingo then added, “And you can’t drop your shoulders without dropping your head. That’s the problem.” [Dropping your head is fine as long as you don't use the crown as a weapon]

Rice is joining many of the greatest offensive players of his generation, including Emmitt Smith and Eric Dickerson, in speaking out against this rule. And so we see once again that the strongest opponents of the NFL’s attempts to protect the players are the players themselves. [What we see are players complaining about a version of a rule that wasn't approved and not the actual rule as it is written, IF, of course, it's only enforced as written]

MACH1
03-20-2013, 04:37 PM
Better ban football "if it only saves one life".

Vis
03-20-2013, 04:38 PM
Better ban football "if it only saves one life".

Sure. How many should die for your entertainment as a general rule?

pczach
03-20-2013, 04:43 PM
The only people in favor of the rule change are people that are involved with losing money to lawsuits, or those that can be involved with making money on lawsuits. There's a huge difference between grown men playing a game and getting paid boatloads of money to play it while understanding the risks, and a poor bastard that gets brain trauma in an car accident with a drunk driver. You don't have to show videos of an injured man. You also don't need to have been directly, or be a relative or friend of someone involved with a brain injury to understand the effects of neurological damage. I had an uncle die an excruciatingly slow and humiliating death at the hands of ALS(also known as Lou Gehrig's disease). I understand very well how horribly a brain injury can change a person's life. I also know that there are millions of people that suffer from all forms of mental impairment for a multitude of reasons that are entirely not a cause of anything they could control, including multiple birth defects, diseases, and various other ways that men, women, and children are deprived of their mental faculties that the rest of us take for granted. None of the people I refer to above got paid millions of dollars to be involved in an activity that could have caused their issues. They lost life's lottery, and are forced to deal with it without the great support system they should have in football to take care of their own.

Those that look to make money via lawsuits will move on to a new issue to make money off of. It is a never ending spiral of greed that detracts from people that have real problems that happened in the real world. I don't mean to make this personal, but things like this drive me crazy. Particularly stating that we just don't understand. There are many of us here that understand in ways you may not understand, so please....don't assume you own the intellectual high ground on brain injuries, and we'll leave it at that.

At some point, the game we love is no longer going to be that game. These should be handled in-house by the NFL and NFL Players Association via special compensation funds. God knows there is enough money in this sport to pay for the operation of the league, retired NFL players, and injured NFL players. It's shameful that this has gone this far because the NFL doesn't want to step up, and many players want to rape the league for every dime they can get. Somebody get this done without ruining the game of football.

End of rant.

Steeldude
03-20-2013, 05:24 PM
A foul arises only if the top of the helmet is used to ram the opponent

What a huge grey area.

Let's just end it and put flags on everyone.

Steeldude
03-20-2013, 05:26 PM
Now that pansy football is on the way the owners should set a maximum salary of $100,000 for each player

WokeUpWithaWoodley
03-20-2013, 06:50 PM
What a huge grey area.

Let's just end it and put flags on everyone.

Not that big of a grey area. If its unclear it won't be called. Only in the open field will it be inforced. So it being in the open field will be easier to judge. Running thru the line or at the goaline won't be inforced.

Here's an example of what will be called every time. And it's pretty clear. He didn't try to use his shoulder and all and was all head.

http://youtu.be/9yDH6x5JW7M

Steel_Bus_24
03-20-2013, 06:59 PM
^^^Im sorry but that is still Bull sh**

How was Trent supposed to be able to drive through there without doing what he did???......The Eagles had him trapped and lined up for a tackle...Coleman got low, So Trent went as low as he could without losing momentum

What does the NFL want him to do, stop, fall backwards and get tackled???

WokeUpWithaWoodley
03-20-2013, 07:14 PM
^^^Im sorry but that is still Bull sh**

How was Trent supposed to be able to drive through there without doing what he did???......The Eagles had him trapped and lined up for a tackle...Coleman got low, So Trent went as low as he could without losing momentum

He completely lead his helmet. Didn't even try to use his shoulder. They want the backs to start getting used to getting low and leading with the shoulder not the helmet. If Trent would of used his shoulder to to blow up the defender he still would of got the yards.

Steeldude
03-20-2013, 07:34 PM
Not that big of a grey area. If its unclear it won't be called. Only in the open field will it be inforced. So it being in the open field will be easier to judge. Running thru the line or at the goaline won't be inforced.

Here's an example of what will be called every time. And it's pretty clear. He didn't try to use his shoulder and all and was all head.

http://youtu.be/9yDH6x5JW7M

And how is that not a grey area?

So it being in the open field will be easier to judge

Like pass interference or perhaps roughing the passer? They still can't get those right. How about the many, many times Harrison was held, but no flag.

So anytime in the open field the RB lowers himself, the player can step in front of his helmet and draw a flag.

It's a grey area all the way. Looks like Richardson made himself small. The head extends beyond the shoulders. At 0:32 in the video it looks like he is trying to use his shoulder, but contact came sooner. So you are saying they want him to run upright and subject himself to a hit in the ribs?

Keep in mind this will happen in real-time, not slow-mo.

The age of pansy-ball is taking shape.

Steel_Bus_24
03-20-2013, 07:37 PM
Any Shoulder charge thats strong enough to keep the same type of momentum and deliver the same type of blow as that one isn't going to look much different.....The head is almost always going to strike 1st if you want to keep your momentum and power

Its just not possible unless you stand more upright and turn to the point to where your ramming them with your back.

The fact that the rule ignores the tackle box is almost an admission that this type of running is needed in the game of football. If we're so concerned about player safety why not enforce it there as well. Players can get enough steam up to wallop each other in there too

TRH
03-20-2013, 07:41 PM
And how is that not a grey area?

Like pass interference or perhaps roughing the passer? They still can't get those right. How about the many, many times Harrison was held, but no flag.

Keep in mind this will happen in real-time, not slow-mo.

The age of pansy-ball is taking shape.

This is critical to so much BS in the NFL right now. It's downright painful listening to the sportscasters and anaylysts doing the games watch the instant replays (25 times it seems) and break it down frame by frame by frame and saying "they should have did this, should have done that, etc". -
Whats going to happen - you can bank on it - is that someone will appear to be all set for an accidental "crown" hit - they'll pull up at the last second for fear of a flag, and they'll get their head taken off or paralyzed.

Twentyvalve
03-20-2013, 07:44 PM
Turn-based NFL coming to a stadium near you.

teegre
03-20-2013, 07:51 PM

Dude, don't be stupid... they'll allow him to fall sideways.

Steel_Bus_24
03-20-2013, 07:59 PM
Dude, don't be stupid... they'll allow him to fall sideways.

:doh:should have thought of that one....or better yet, they should all slide like quarterbacks....:tt04:

teegre
03-20-2013, 08:12 PM
:doh:should have thought of that one....or better yet, they should all slide like quarterbacks....:tt04:

My two year old daughter likes "Ring Around the Rosie." Obviously, I'm grooming her to play RB.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
03-20-2013, 08:16 PM
Any Shoulder charge thats strong enough to keep the same type of momentum and deliver the same type of blow as that one isn't going to look much different.....The head is almost always going to strike 1st if you want to keep your momentum and power

Its just not possible unless you stand more upright and turn to the point to where your ramming them with your back.

The fact that the rule ignores the tackle box is almost an admission that this type of running is needed in the game of football. If we're so concerned about player safety why not enforce it there as well. Players can get enough steam up to wallop each other in there too

Beginning of the video shows what the nfl wants the running backs to do. Shoulder is still very effective. The Redskins and Woodson hit shows jacobs getting low but turning his head to lead out with the shoulder. Trent went completely at a 90 degree angle with not intent of using his shoulder.

http://youtu.be/1r3yuWcd6zk

beer72
03-20-2013, 09:25 PM
I do believe im done watching the NFL....Just cannot take it any more...What a sad day for all who onced loved this sport...:mad:

Justp94
03-21-2013, 04:43 AM
I'm pissed, the game of football has been ruined.

BowCatShot
03-21-2013, 08:59 AM
I do believe im done watching the NFL....Just cannot take it any more...What a sad day for all who onced loved this sport...:mad:

The new rule is only the first step in the right direction. I can immediately think of a necessary modification. At the end of the play the running back and the tackler should be required to hug each other and slap each other's asses. That would show the more sensitive viewers that they don't really hate each other. Otherwise they might get upset by the sport's apparent violence.

Steeler7BR
03-21-2013, 09:12 AM
The new rule is only the first step in the right direction. I can immediately think of a necessary modification. At the end of the play the running back and the tackler should be required to hug each other and slap each other's asses. That would show the more sensitive viewers that they don't really hate each other. Otherwise they might get upset by the sport's apparent violence.

Stop it guys it is just such a small change we shouldn't even care. You get a penalty now for delivering a hit with your helmet crown, which is a dangerous hit. If you spear somebody head first you could cause yourself neck problems and concussions and if you hit somebody else in the helmet it's obvious that you could cause a consussion to him.

It's not that they can't use there helmet anymore to shed someone or something like that they just aren't allowed to deliver blows anymore so whats the problem about it?

BowCatShot
03-21-2013, 09:14 AM
"If you spear somebody head first you could cause yourself neck problems and concussions and if you hit somebody else in the helmet it's obvious that you could cause a consussion to him."

Also if you fart on the field you might cause somebody to throw up.

Steeler7BR
03-21-2013, 09:24 AM
"If you spear somebody head first you could cause yourself neck problems and concussions and if you hit somebody else in the helmet it's obvious that you could cause a consussion to him."

Also if you fart on the field you might cause somebody to throw up.

Hey, man why aren't you just running helmet first a couple of times against a wall then we have one stupid person less in the forum. I mean if you don't take concussions serious now I can't help you anymore.

Ask LT but it could take a while for him to answer, if he even understand you anymore.

(Might sound a little sarcastic here and very disrespectful but thats just my way of making this clear to you I mean there are no lawsuits of former players because of nothing)

Just look at Laurent Robinson last season. He gets migrains every day now. (At least in a time period of a few months, don't know if he has them anymore.)

BowCatShot
03-21-2013, 09:26 AM
Hey, man why aren't you just running helmet first a couple of times against a wall then we have one stupid person less in the forum. I mean if you don't take concussions serious now I can't help you anymore.

Ask LT but it could take a while for him to answer, if he even understand you anymore.

(Might sound a little sarcastic here and very disrespectful but thats just my way of making this clear to you I mean there are no lawsuits of former players because of nothing)

Just look at Laurent Robinson last season. He gets migrains every day.

Don't get personal now, or I'll tell the mods on you.

Steeler7BR
03-21-2013, 09:44 AM

Just look at Laurent Robinson last season. He gets migrains every day now. (At least in a time period of a few months, don't know if he has them anymore.)

Don't get personal now, or I'll tell the mods on you.

Thank you for reading my comment so closely. smh

Steel_Bus_24
03-21-2013, 10:12 AM
Beginning of the video shows what the nfl wants the running backs to do. Shoulder is still very effective. The Redskins and Woodson hit shows jacobs getting low but turning his head to lead out with the shoulder. Trent went completely at a 90 degree angle with not intent of using his shoulder.

http://youtu.be/1r3yuWcd6zk

You dont have your youtube vids properly embedded.....only wrap the tags around the characters after the =

so for this vid it would be

1r3yuWcd6zk

1r3yuWcd6zk

Now having seen that vid.....I can almost guarantee that Hit on the Packer is going to get a flag way more then it should.....The refs aren't going to be to able to tell if the point of impact is precisely on the crown or just off to the front side......

Instead of judging the hit on that criteria they're going to make snap decisions based on how violently the RB ducks and attacks the defender....coupled with the resulting outcome on the defender....i.e.. "ooh the defender got hurt and humiliated....that most have been one right"

Steeler7BR
03-21-2013, 10:22 AM
You dont have your youtube vids properly embedded.....only wrap the tags around the characters after the =

so for this vid it would be

1r3yuWcd6zk

1r3yuWcd6zk

Now having seen that vid.....I can almost guarantee that Hit on the Packer is going to get a flag way more then it should.....The refs aren't going to be to able to tell if the point of impact is precisely on the crown or just off to the front side......

Instead of judging the hit on that criteria they're going to make snap decisions based on how violently the RB ducks and attacks the defender....coupled with the resulting outcome on the defender....i.e.. "ooh the defender got hurt and humiliated....that most have been one right"

I think you're underestimate the refs way to much here. The NFL really has very good and professional referees in place. BTW they will tell the refs in the meatings before the season exactly the kind of contact that will be allowed and the contact that they should call. They go through thousands and thousand situation over the years that are perfect examples for the rule. There shouldn't be much mised calls their. At least I would think so.

harrison'samonster
03-21-2013, 10:30 AM
I think you're underestimate the refs way to much here. The NFL really has very good and professional referees in place. BTW they will tell the refs in the meatings before the season exactly the kind of contact that will be allowed and the contact that they should call. They go through thousands and thousand situation over the years that are perfect examples for the rule. There shouldn't be much mised calls their. At least I would think so.

i'm tending to agree with you, I think a lot of people are over-reacting about this one rule.

BowCatShot
03-21-2013, 10:30 AM
In addition, to placate the liberal viewers, i.e., Democrats, the offensive linemen(linepersons) should be required to wear facial rouge and lipstick. As part of the after play celebration that Goodell loves so much, they could all stand in unison and do a can-can dance. Some of you less sensitive individuals, you know who you are, might think that would give an unfair advantage to the defense, though. That could be addressed in subsequent rule changes.

harrison'samonster
03-21-2013, 10:33 AM
In addition, to placate the liberal viewers, i.e., Democrats, the offensive linemen(linepersons) should be required to wear facial rouge and lipstick. As part of the after play celebration that Goodell loves so much, they could all stand in unison and do a can-can dance. Some of you less sensitive individuals, you know who you are, might think that would give an unfair advantage to the defense, though. That could be addressed in subsequent rule changes.

what does any of this have to do with democrats? we have a forum for politics, please keep that stuff over there.

Steel_Bus_24
03-21-2013, 10:33 AM

ehh sorry....don't have the same faith as you....

GoFor7
03-21-2013, 10:34 AM
Perhaps there's a motive behind this new helmet rule - more passing.

steelfury02
03-21-2013, 11:25 AM
don't worry - someone in the Steelers RB corp will ultimately be the first to get called on this penalty - and, it will negate a huge first down with the game in the balance, undoubtedly against Baltimore, Bengals, Packers, or Patriots:thumbsup:

teegre
03-21-2013, 11:33 AM

Would the Republican version of this new rule be to kick all of the minorities out of the NFL? :coffee:

Let's just leave all of the mudslinging and/or bipartisan rhetoric out of a forum about football.

sloppyjoe
03-21-2013, 12:05 PM
so the nfl cares if about spearing in the open field but its okay to spear each other and cause brain damage at the line?
ummm, great player safety rule there.

sloppyjoe
03-21-2013, 12:09 PM

they do it for the money.
how many times was mike webster running in the open field and speared or got speared during his career?

Twentyvalve
03-21-2013, 12:59 PM
This is just one rule. One rule in a chain of many so far. What is next, arm tackles only? That is just one rule. Imagine a RB lowering his head in natural response to being tackled by a guy who is larger after making a crucial run into the end zone for a winning TD. Whistle. Penalty. Replay down. 3rd and 25. Fine on the play. Fans will go ballistic.

Yes, just one rule. More are coming . . .

i'm tending to agree with you, I think a lot of people are over-reacting about this one rule.

jjpro11
03-21-2013, 01:05 PM
The NFL can't keep up with the lawyers and lawsuits. The league will either be gone or be completely touch/flag football within 20 or so years. It's probably only a matter of time before lawyers convince players to start suing each other for illegal hits on the field. IMO, all physical sports are in jeopardy of surviving at the rate the NFL is bending over backwards because of lawsuits. I am sure eventually the lawyers will weasel their way into hockey, fight sports, etc and take them down one by one.

Twentyvalve
03-21-2013, 01:05 PM
You are right, you will get injured. Which is common sense. But that proves the stupidity of the rule - this happens due to reflex and by virtue of the dynamic sequence of contact. Players know this, and don't do it on purpose. It is coincidental. So why make it a penalty?

Of course obvious and blatant infractions should be penalized. But blanket rules without consideration for circumstances? That defies all logic.

harrison'samonster
03-21-2013, 01:07 PM
This is just one rule. One rule in a chain of many so far. What is next, arm tackles only? That is just one rule. Imagine a RB lowering his head in natural response to being tackled by a guy who is larger after making a crucial run into the end zone for a winning TD. Whistle. Penalty. Replay down. 3rd and 25. Fine on the play. Fans will go ballistic.

Yes, just one rule. More are coming . . .

the game's changed a lot through the years and it's going to keep on changing. All I'm saying is people are over-reacting over this one rule

Hawaii 5-0
03-21-2013, 02:10 PM
Jerome Bettis says NFL’s new helmet rule “makes no sense”

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 21, 2013

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/bettisurlacher.jpg?w=250

Add Jerome Bettis to the list of current or former NFL running backs who don’t like the new rule against runners delivering forcible blows with the top of the helmet.

“It really makes no sense,” Bettis said today on Mike and Mike in the Morning. “The running back now is going to have some indecision with his helmet and his head. . . . Whenever a running back has indecision, there’s potential for injury.”

Bettis said that when he would lower his helmet during his playing career, it wasn’t his intent to hit an opponent with the top of his head. Instead, lowering the helmet was just a byproduct of lowering his shoulders.

“I don’t put my head down saying I’m trying to lead with the crown of my helmet, I put my head down because there’s trouble on the way,” he said. “I’m putting my head down because I want to get my shoulders lower.”

Bettis also said he worries that officials are going to have a hard time determining what constitutes delivering a forcible blow with the top of the helmet, and what is just an ordinary open-field collision.

“We’re creating so many plays that are subjective for the referee, that before you know it the referee controls the outcome of the game because these calls can go either way, and then the referees start taking too prominent of a role in deciding the outcome of the game,” Bettis said.

That’s the same argument that Bengals owner Mike Brown made in explaining his vote against the new rule. But considering that all 31 other owners voted for the rule, it’s clear that’s not an argument that has a lot of support with the people who make the decisions in the NFL.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/21/jerome-bettis-says-nfls-new-helmet-rule-makes-no-sense/

Vis
03-21-2013, 02:30 PM
the game's changed a lot through the years and it's going to keep on changing. All I'm saying is people are over-reacting over this one rule

I love how we have so many examples of things that are legal being suggested as something the RB will be called for now. Yes, the refs could totally fuck up on how they call this. That's true of any rule. But the rule itself changes very little in the game.

TRH
03-21-2013, 02:32 PM
Bettis is the one who is right. There's potential for some very serious injuries here.

TRH
03-21-2013, 02:37 PM
The NFL can't keep up with the lawyers and lawsuits. The league will either be gone or be completely touch/flag football within 20 or so years. It's probably only a matter of time before lawyers convince players to start suing each other for illegal hits on the field. IMO, all physical sports are in jeopardy of surviving at the rate the NFL is bending over backwards because of lawsuits. I am sure eventually the lawyers will weasel their way into hockey, fight sports, etc and take them down one by one.

This is absolutely correct. No question.
We will see it in our lifetimes. As i've stated before, it's only a matter of time (you may be able to count the years on one hand...) before at minimum - the QB's will not allowed to be touched - you can bank on that one coming first.

Also right that hockey is next. Although i agree with outlawing fights. You can't fight in the streets like that - you'd be arrested for assault and battery. Why should 2 guys be allowed to do the same thing just because they're on the ice? The answer - they shouldn't. Its outrageous that fighting is "allowed".

One can argue that there is "good" being done, but in reality, all it is are leeching lawyers getting a lottery ticket for themselves and the ex-player they represent.

pczach
03-21-2013, 02:41 PM

LT hasn't had a clear thought in more than a few decades, but it's from all the nose candy he has inhaled in his lifetime. It has nothing to do with concussions. I know he wasn't concerned about concussions when he'd snort 3 lines and go out and knock the shit out of linemen, QB's, or anyone else that got in his way. Not the best example.

For your information. My wife gets migraines almost every day, and she has never played football in her life.....just wanted to let you know.

Can people please be reasonable with the symptoms of concussions, and blaming everything on football. Please think before you say something like "He gets headaches all the time". Millions of people get headaches all the time, and it has nothing to do with football. I'm aware that banging your head constantly is not a good idea. I understand that. I'm also aware that these guys make millions of dollars to bang their heads playing this game and understand that going in. If you asked any football player before he ever played a down this question: "Would you be willing to risk brain trauma and make millions of dollars, or would you walk away from the game forever so as not to risk brain injury?" Every single one of them would take the money and play anyway, and so would you. Every player that has ever played this game made the conscious decision to take that risk so they can make a shitload of money. Yes, concussions do happen. Yes, brain damage can occur. Only after they have finished playing, and made all that money, do they want compensation for injuries. You'd have to kill most of these same men to make them stop playing this game while they're still able to physically succeed and make money within the game. The responsibility is theirs. Understand, I don't want to see anyone get hurt, but everybody also has to understand that the reason they make that kind of cash is because people want to watch it, and the violent nature of NFL football is at the heart of that connection that makes them spend their money on the game of football.

If you really want to save lives and stop brain trauma, make these rule changes at the lowest levels of football. After all, it's all about protecting the kids right?

Vis
03-21-2013, 04:24 PM
LT hasn't had a clear thought in more than a few decades, but it's from all the nose candy he has inhaled in his lifetime. It has nothing to do with concussions. I know he wasn't concerned about concussions when he'd snort 3 lines and go out and knock the shit out of linemen, QB's, or anyone else that got in his way. Not the best example.

For your information. My wife gets migraines almost every day, and she has never played football in her life.....just wanted to let you know.

Can people please be reasonable with the symptoms of concussions, and blaming everything on football. Please think before you say something like "He gets headaches all the time". Millions of people get headaches all the time, and it has nothing to do with football. I'm aware that banging your head constantly is not a good idea. I understand that. I'm also aware that these guys make millions of dollars to bang their heads playing this game and understand that going in. If you asked any football player before he ever played a down this question: "Would you be willing to risk brain trauma and make millions of dollars, or would you walk away from the game forever so as not to risk brain injury?" Every single one of them would take the money and play anyway, and so would you. Every player that has ever played this game made the conscious decision to take that risk so they can make a shitload of money. Yes, concussions do happen. Yes, brain damage can occur. Only after they have finished playing, and made all that money, do they want compensation for injuries. You'd have to kill most of these same men to make them stop playing this game while they're still able to physically succeed and make money within the game. The responsibility is theirs. Understand, I don't want to see anyone get hurt, but everybody also has to understand that the reason they make that kind of cash is because people want to watch it, and the violent nature of NFL football is at the heart of that connection that makes them spend their money on the game of football.

If you really want to save lives and stop brain trauma, make these rule changes at the lowest levels of football. After all, it's all about protecting the kids right?

If I get a brain injury at work I get lifetime workers' comp benefits including all medical care.

The NFL can't change the rules of lower leagues. Fisher did say he hopes the NCAA, high schools and peewee leagues follow suit.

pczach
03-21-2013, 05:12 PM
If I get a brain injury at work I get lifetime workers' comp benefits including all medical care.

The NFL can't change the rules of lower leagues. Fisher did say he hopes the NCAA, high schools and peewee leagues follow suit.

That's fine. Get workers comp and all medical care for players. It's good enough for me, it's good enough for them.

Vis
03-21-2013, 06:04 PM
That's fine. Get workers comp and all medical care for players. It's good enough for me, it's good enough for them.

Wasn't for the NFL. They denied Webster for years.

GoFor7
03-21-2013, 10:52 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img96/3844/976d9c30929911e29181220.jpg

Hawaii 5-0
03-21-2013, 11:18 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img96/3844/976d9c30929911e29181220.jpg

now that's funny! :rofl:

pczach
03-22-2013, 12:23 AM
Wasn't for the NFL. They denied Webster for years.

Where you and I work, we don't crack our heads against other workers as part of the job description. This is part of the job description of the game of football. They get compensated for this with exhorbanent pay. NFL football is a unique arrangement, with unique circumstances and consequences that are part of the business. I believe a binding agreement needs to be agreed upon to handle this situation that would take the courts out of it for the most part. Either that or players must be forced to sign a waver before signing a pro contract that they wave any and all rights to file claims against the NFL for future head injuries caused by the game. Understanding that the large compensation in the form of salary is built into the system to handle any and all football related injuries. If they don't accept this and sign the waver, they will not be allowed to play professional football.