PDA

View Full Version : Under the radar....

Livinginthe past
08-21-2006, 05:34 PM
Okay guys, Steeler fans, Patriots fans, Charger fans, Bengals fans....football fans....

Give me a couple of names each of players in your squad that you expect to step it up this year in terms of production and impact.

Im thinking low round rookies, former PS squad players that type of thing......players that haven't already become a fixture as a starter.

Gimme a couple of lines about why you picked the guy.

I'll go first.

Two players to watch out for.

Bam Childress (WR) - this guy was a pre-season wonder last year, but couldnt break a healthy Patriots depth chart at WR.

This year things figure to be different, he has shown some nice ability to catch the deep ball and is obviously a highly motivated individual.

You also have to factor in the weaknes of the current WR corps, especially without Branch in the mix.

This guy is a fans favorite already for his whole hearted attitude - if he can make the 3rd/4th WR slot his own it will have been a fantastic acheivement.

Jeremy Mincey (OLB) - The type of tweener that BB loves at OLB - has already shown plenty of impact ability in his short NFL career - slightly too small to be a 3-4 DE this guy should get some reps due to the relative weakness of the LBer corps - especially if Mike Vrabel has to move back inside.

NM

83-Steelers-43
08-21-2006, 06:06 PM
Good thread topic.

After watching only two preseason games I would go with:

Willie Reid: His punt/kick return skills are something to watch. Not only does this kid have crazy speed, but his acceleration is unbelievable. On top of that, I'm hearing he's looking damn good in camp outside of his ST duties (many are saying better than Holmes). I think he's going to put big smiles on Steeler fans faces this season. The boy is dangerous.

Brett Keisel: While Steeler fans are aware of the Deisel's abilities, many outside of the organization are not. This guy is a beast. His one weakness heading into camp was not being able to stop the run. I've heard that has completely changed. Although he did not look very good during the Vikings game (McKinnie was having a field day with him), but I think the more experience he get's, the better he's going to get this season. He's supposedly up to 290.

Nate Washington: Keeping this simple. They need to give this kid a chance. After the Vikings game I believe he earned that chance. Supposedly, his main weakness coming into camp was his speed. In the words of Whiz, his speed is "deceiving". After watching his back-to-back game reverses, I agree. He has nice height, doesn't put the ball on the ground. Runs smooth routes for the most part. You throw him the ball and he catches it. What's the problem?

Livinginthe past
08-21-2006, 06:11 PM
Good thread topic:

After watching only two preseason games I would go with.....

Willie Reid: His punt/kick return skills are something to watch. Not only does this kid have crazy speed, but his acceleration is unbelievable. On top of that, I'm hearing he's looking damn good in camp outside of his ST duties (many are saying better than Holmes). I think he's going to put big smiles on Steeler fans faces this season. The boy is dangerous.

Brett Keisel: While Steeler fans are aware of the Deisel's abilities, many outside of the organization are not. This guy is a beast. His one weakness heading into camp was not being able to stop the run. I've heard that has completely changed. Although he did not look very good during the Vikings game (McKinnie was having a field day with him), but I think the more experience he get's, the better he's going to get this season. He's supposedly up to 290.

Nate Washington: Keeping this simple. They need to give this kid a chance. After the Vikings game I believe he earned that chance. Supposedly, his main weakness coming into camp was his speed. In the words of Whiz, his speed is "deceiving". After watching his back-to-back game reverses, I agree. He has nice height, doesn't put the ball on the ground. Runs smooths routes for the most part. You throw him the ball and he catches it. What's the problem?

Thanks 83,

I've heard quite a bit about Keisel he sounds like a real breakout candidate - he'll get his chance to shine this year - thats for sure.

Pittsburgh fans will be the ones to really notice him - DE in the 3-4 doesnt get alot of headlines but they do the spade work for the glory boy LBers right?!

Reid has done a nice job of keeping his head down and trying to push himself up the depth chart - while his higher rated fellow draftee has been lacking focus.

A speed merchent with good hands and good football intelligence could put up some nice numbers this year in the Steelers offense.

Dont know too much about Nate Washington, but there is always a need for a solid guy who goes over the middle, who makes the tough catches look matter of fact.

If it wasn't for the checkdown guys then the guys on the end of the deep bombs wouldnt be half so effective

NM

83-Steelers-43
08-21-2006, 06:13 PM
Yeah....lol, I added one more. Sorry about that. I have a nasty "editing" problem.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-21-2006, 06:14 PM
Good thread topic.

Nate Washington: Keeping this simple. They need to give this kid a chance. After the Vikings game I believe he earned that chance. Supposedly, his main weakness coming into camp was his speed. In the words of Whiz, his speed is "deceiving". After watching his back-to-back game reverses, I agree. He has nice height, doesn't put the ball on the ground. Runs smooths routes for the most part. You throw him the ball and he catches it. What's the problem?

Nice picks 83 I would agree with all of those.

You can see how natural a punt returner Willie Reid is. All he needs is the experience at the NFL level.

I think Keisel is going to have a real good year. I wouldn't be suprised if he gets around 7-8 sacks this year.

By the end of the year the rest of the NFL will know who Nate Washington is.

boLT fan
08-21-2006, 06:20 PM
Vincent Jackson (WR) - Vjack is a HUGE reciever with great speed. He's 6'5, 241 lbs and ran a 4.57 40 yard dash at his combine, which i'm sure has improved since then. He has great hands, and has seemingly bonded well with Philip Rivers

Matt Wilhelm (MLB) - With Donnie Edwards basically holding out, Matt will have a lot more playing time. He showed a bunch of potential in the past year and doesn't look to be the tackling sled that Edwards is.

Tim Dobbins (MLB) - I don't know if he'll come onto the scene this year, but he will soon I guarentee it. He was a 6th round pick and is a beast of a LB. http://youtube.com/watch?v=8I_EVr_GLFU

Michael "The Burner" Turner (RB) - Most people got their first glance at what The Burner could do at Indy, but that isn't really Turner's style. He is a power back and could probably start on any number of teams in the NFL. With the running game likely to be a focus again this year, Turner could get a bunch of chances. http://youtube.com/watch?v=UL5PYoVC0EY <- Against the Bears #1 Defense

CantStop85
08-21-2006, 07:04 PM
Rashad Jeanty (OLB) - The guy's from the CFL, just joined the Bengals this offseason, but he has been a beast and starting all of the preseason games up to this point. It looks like he'll be the first backup to both OLB positions, at least until Odell is back. He's like another David Pollack...a LB with the pass-rushing skills of a DE.

Tab Perry (WR) - He was the 6th round draft pick of the Bengals last year. Last year he was buried behind a talented group of receivers, but this year he will get a chance at more playing time. He was a force on kick returns last season (he was the guy who got the long one against Pittsburgh last season). He's a big receiver and will likely see playing time at H-Back and TE on occasion, as well as time at 3rd or 4th receiver (depending on Chris Henry's status).

Domata Peko (DT) - The 4th round pick of the Bengals in this year's draft. You might remember him playing for MSU in the Michigan-Michigan State game and returning a fumble for a score. Anyway, he has outhustled just about every Bengals defensive lineman this offseason. Going into the season he will likely be the 3rd DT on the depth chart, with a great chance of supplanting either John Thornton or Sam Adams by the end of the season. Either way, he will get quite a bit of playing time.

Livinginthe past
08-21-2006, 07:05 PM
Vincent Jackson (WR) - Vjack is a HUGE reciever with great speed. He's 6'5, 241 lbs and ran a 4.57 40 yard dash at his combine, which i'm sure has improved since then. He has great hands, and has seemingly bonded well with Philip Rivers

Matt Wilhelm (MLB) - With Donnie Edwards basically holding out, Matt will have a lot more playing time. He showed a bunch of potential in the past year and doesn't look to be the tackling sled that Edwards is.

Tim Dobbins (MLB) - I don't know if he'll come onto the scene this year, but he will soon I guarentee it. He was a 6th round pick and is a beast of a LB. http://youtube.com/watch?v=8I_EVr_GLFU

Michael "The Burner" Turner (RB) - Most people got their first glance at what The Burner could do at Indy, but that isn't really Turner's style. He is a power back and could probably start on any number of teams in the NFL. With the running game likely to be a focus again this year, Turner could get a bunch of chances. http://youtube.com/watch?v=UL5PYoVC0EY <- Against the Bears #1 Defense

Thanks for the reply boLT!

I shall keep an eye out for the guys you noted.

The Bolts run D is already impressive enough without discovering more decent MLB's - any decent scraps send to the New England Patriots c/o Robery Kraft :cool:

Jackson seems to have all the prototypical stats for a top WR - lets se what he can do game time.

I had a feeling you might mention Turner - thats a hell of a combo you have with LT in the mix aswell.

I think the Bolts, Patriots and Saints are going to be 3 of the hottest running teams this year.

NM

Livinginthe past
08-21-2006, 07:10 PM
Rashad Jeanty (OLB) - The guy's from the CFL, just joined the Bengals this offseason, but he has been a beast and starting all of the preseason games up to this point. It looks like he'll be the first backup to both OLB positions, at least until Odell is back. He's like another David Pollack...a LB with the pass-rushing skills of a DE.

Tab Perry (WR) - He was the 6th round draft pick of the Bengals last year. Last year he was buried behind a talented group of receivers, but this year he will get a chance at more playing time. He was a force on kick returns last season (he was the guy who got the long one against Pittsburgh last season). He's a big receiver and will likely see playing time at H-Back and TE on occasion, as well as time at 3rd or 4th receiver (depending on Chris Henry's status).

Domata Peko (DT) - The 4th round pick of the Bengals in this year's draft. You might remember him playing for MSU in the Michigan-Michigan State game and returning a fumble for a score. Anyway, he has outhustled just about every Bengals defensive lineman this offseason. Going into the season he will likely be the 3rd DT on the depth chart, with a great chance of supplanting either John Thornton or Sam Adams by the end of the season. Either way, he will get quite a bit of playing time.

Hey 85,

Is it my imagination or are the Bengals becoming the Colts of the AFCN?

Loaded on offense with a D built around the take away and the pass rush, but something of a weakness right up the gut.

The DT you mention should indeed see quite a bit of playing time - even if Sam Adams of the official 'starter' on the team.

Is it fair to say that Adams will be used in a role play basis - run stuffer and first downs or will he see more action than that?

Any road, we will see how things shake out as we get into the season.

NM

WWIIOwheelz
08-21-2006, 07:25 PM
Verron Haynes

This guy has a blend of speed and power I like a lot. He broke some runs last season that made me shake my head, reminded of (dare I say it) Barry Sanders early in his career. I really like the way that guy carries the mail, and I think he's going to establish himself as that power back for short yardage and late in the game. If he weighed 20 more pounds, people would be scared to tackle the guy.

CantStop85
08-21-2006, 07:29 PM
Is it my imagination or are the Bengals becoming the Colts of the AFCN?

Loaded on offense with a D built around the take away and the pass rush, but something of a weakness right up the gut.
I think our biggest weakness on D has been the defensive line. In the past we couldn't A) Stop the run or B) Put pressure on the QB. Don't be fooled, last year we had absolutely no pass rush...90% of the interceptions you saw were due to the ball-hawking secondary (and linebackers) we have.

Last year our DT's got pushed around and our best pass rushers ended up being double teamed. Now that we have that huge DT in Sam Adams who can take up extra blockers, it should free up some linebackers/defensive ends to get to the QB. In addition, we replaced one of our starting DE's with Bryan Robinson, one of our DT's from last year...he's a lot bigger/stronger than last year's DE and won't get pushed around on running plays.

The DT you mention should indeed see quite a bit of playing time - even if Sam Adams of the official 'starter' on the team.

Is it fair to say that Adams will be used in a role play basis - run stuffer and first downs or will he see more action than that?
Sam Adams hasn't even played in a preseason game and barely practiced with the team. Why? Because he showed up to camp fat and out of shape (even by his standards). Word is he's doing some conditioning and should be down to a decent weight to play in the opener, but for the most part he will be a first down/run stuffer guy. Someone else will most likely be brought in on 3rd downs to rush the passer.

SteelCzar76
08-21-2006, 07:43 PM
Brett, B-Mac, Kemoeatu,.... and this will suprise some,... Ant (Anthony smith) and Santonio. Pleasebelieve,...coach Whiz has some interesting things in store making use of his (Holmes) speed and ability to get downfield. Don't worry he'll ease him along like Heath,....but his talent will not be wasted.

"Hail Caesar,....Hail the Black and Gold"

Livinginthe past
08-21-2006, 07:57 PM
I think our biggest weakness on D has been the defensive line. In the past we couldn't A) Stop the run or B) Put pressure on the QB. Don't be fooled, last year we had absolutely no pass rush...90% of the interceptions you saw were due to the ball-hawking secondary (and linebackers) we have.

Last year our DT's got pushed around and our best pass rushers ended up being double teamed. Now that we have that huge DT in Sam Adams who can take up extra blockers, it should free up some linebackers/defensive ends to get to the QB. In addition, we replaced one of our starting DE's with Bryan Robinson, one of our DT's from last year...he's a lot bigger/stronger than last year's DE and won't get pushed around on running plays.

Sam Adams hasn't even played in a preseason game and barely practiced with the team. Why? Because he showed up to camp fat and out of shape (even by his standards). Word is he's doing some conditioning and should be down to a decent weight to play in the opener, but for the most part he will be a first down/run stuffer guy. Someone else will most likely be brought in on 3rd downs to rush the passer.

Thanks for the info, 85.

Im not too sure what to make of the opposition that threw the ball to your DB's without pressure on the QB - pretty bad decision making.

I think this years schedule is going to be a b**ch for the Bengals - if they create as many turnovers and make the playoffs then they are going to be a huge threat.

There is nothing more frustraing than watching your D get run on - I seen plenty of that myself last year.

NM

Livinginthe past
08-21-2006, 08:18 PM
C'mon Hawk.

I know I left Seattle off the original roll call, if its any consolation I ran out of patience and left off the Browns and Raiders too (both of whom im interested in aswell!)

Give us your sleeps for 07.

NM

SteelCzar76
08-21-2006, 10:02 PM
Allow me to thread jack for just a moment. Pat's,...honestly,...how do you think your Team does this year ? And,..what do you think the odds are of us meeting up again in the playoffs ?......

"Hail Caesar,.....Hail the Black and Gold"

hardwork
08-21-2006, 10:17 PM
Allow me to thread jack for just a moment. Pat's,...honestly,...how do you think your Team does this year ? And,..what do you think the odds are of us meeting up again in the playoffs ?......

You can't tell until you're playing for all the marbles. However, since you asked. If this team can stay reasonably healthy. And if they can stay focused and disciplined. I'd say they can take the field in January. Can they take the field in February? I'll tell you around week 11.

To Paul Revere. To the Red White and Blue.

Hawk Believer
08-21-2006, 11:09 PM
C'mon Hawk.

I know I left Seattle off the original roll call, if its any consolation I ran out of patience and left off the Browns and Raiders too (both of whom im interested in aswell!)

Give us your sleeps for 07.

NM
Well, here is my stab at it. The most likely spots for someone new to make a big impact is on our O-line since we lost Hutchinson and have had a couple of injuries in camp and in our D-back corps.

Chris Spencer - C or LG - This doesn't totally fit your criteria as Spencer was a 1st round pick two years ago. He was supposed to replace the aged Robbie Tobeck. Tobeck however went on to have the two best seasons of his career the last two years (that draft must have lit a fire). Spencer has quietly been on the sidelines, watching one of the best lines in football play with no injuries. Well, now Hutch is gone. Spencer was going to be moved to left guard. But now Tobeck is hurt. And Spencer is back in at center. Should be a great opportunity for him to shine. I honestly haven't had a chance to watch the guy play much but I hear great things about his skill, strength, and attitude.

Jordan Babineaux DB This will be his 3rd season. Last year was the first time he really started to see significant playing time. You might remember him as the guy who made the last minute interception against Dallas last season in a game we had no business winning. He appears really developed a lot of versatility and consistancy last year. Combine that with a penchant for making big plays - I think this could be a breakout, pro bowl type year for him. He is however recovering from a shoulder surgery but should be good to go.

Maurice Morris - RB - I shouldn't even be bringing this up. The only way this guy could have a breakout year would be if Alexander goes down (knock on wood). Morris has sat in the shadow of the freakishly rarely injured SA for many years. But a lot of people think this guy could be an outstanding RB when he gets the chance to start a couple games. And like I said, I really hope we don't find out about him any time soon.

I would love to offer an up and comer name to our TE corp, but it doesn't look like that is happening. Itula Mili is our veteran back up. He is a good blocker but he doesn't create the space for himself that Jerramy Stevens does (Sure Stevens was uncharacteristically dropping all those balls in the SB, but there is a reason Hasselbeck kept going to him; He was kept on getting open. His size and athletism creates huge match up problems for the defense). Stevens ability to return healthy early in the season will be a vital piece keeping our offense in the elite realm.

hardwork
08-22-2006, 01:13 AM
Okay guys, Steeler fans, Patriots fans, Charger fans, Bengals fans....football fans....

Give me a couple of names each of players in your squad that you expect to step it up this year in terms of production and impact.

Im thinking low round rookies, former PS squad players that type of thing......players that haven't already become a fixture as a starter.

Gimme a couple of lines about why you picked the guy.

I'll go first.

Bam Childress (WR) - this guy was a pre-season wonder last year, but couldnt break a healthy Patriots depth chart at WR.

This year things figure to be different, he has shown some nice ability to catch the deep ball and is obviously a highly motivated individual.

You also have to factor in the weaknes of the current WR corps, especially without Branch in the mix.

This guy is a fans favorite already for his whole hearted attitude - if he can make the 3rd/4th WR slot his own it will have been a fantastic acheivement.

Jeremy Mincey (OLB) - The type of tweener that BB loves at OLB - has already shown plenty of impact ability in his short NFL career - slightly too small to be a 3-4 DE this guy should get some reps due to the relative weakness of the LBer corps - especially if Mike Vrabel has to move back inside.

NM

Yeah, I like Bam Childress also. If his efforts to get open continue to be fruitful and if he can continue to watch the ball into his hands I think he can step up. Now those two things may seem obvious but that's what you have to do. Sixteen Patriot receivers caught the ball against the Cardinals. If you get open, and if he fells you'll hang onto the ball, Brady will hit you. You don't have to have a name.

Second I'll go with Watson. I'm picking him because if he doesn't step up now he won't be around much longer despite his tremendous talent.

Livinginthe past
08-22-2006, 07:20 AM

Hmmm.

There are alot of ifs, buts and maybes at this time of year, and its seems especially so this year.

People concentrate on the weaknesses that the Patriots have developed over the last couple of years, but its all relative.

Most teams do not excel at both offense and defense - many teams make it into the playoffs just by being very good at one or the other - Chicago, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Baltimore etc etc - so its not beyond belief that the Patriots D could fail to fire this season and that they would still have enough on offense to make the post-season.

I think we have 3 excellent LBers and then a bunch of question marks - then again, not every team can boast 3 excellent LBers.

It should also be remembered that the Patriots are loaded the two highest impact positions - Head coach and QB.

Looking at the schedule, absolute worst case scenario is 9-7, and that really is worst case.

My own personal prediction?

13-3

And I think the odds of the Patriots meeting the Steelers in the postseason to be very healthy.

NM

Livinginthe past
08-22-2006, 07:26 AM
Well, here is my stab at it. The most likely spots for someone new to make a big impact is on our O-line since we lost Hutchinson and have had a couple of injuries in camp and in our D-back corps.

Chris Spencer - C or LG - This doesn't totally fit your criteria as Spencer was a 1st round pick two years ago. He was supposed to replace the aged Robbie Tobeck. Tobeck however went on to have the two best seasons of his career the last two years (that draft must have lit a fire). Spencer has quietly been on the sidelines, watching one of the best lines in football play with no injuries. Well, now Hutch is gone. Spencer was going to be moved to left guard. But now Tobeck is hurt. And Spencer is back in at center. Should be a great opportunity for him to shine. I honestly haven't had a chance to watch the guy play much but I hear great things about his skill, strength, and attitude.

Jordan Babineaux DB This will be his 3rd season. Last year was the first time he really started to see significant playing time. You might remember him as the guy who made the last minute interception against Dallas last season in a game we had no business winning. He appears really developed a lot of versatility and consistancy last year. Combine that with a penchant for making big plays - I think this could be a breakout, pro bowl type year for him. He is however recovering from a shoulder surgery but should be good to go.

Maurice Morris - RB - I shouldn't even be bringing this up. The only way this guy could have a breakout year would be if Alexander goes down (knock on wood). Morris has sat in the shadow of the freakishly rarely injured SA for many years. But a lot of people think this guy could be an outstanding RB when he gets the chance to start a couple games. And like I said, I really hope we don't find out about him any time soon.

I would love to offer an up and comer name to our TE corp, but it doesn't look like that is happening. Itula Mili is our veteran back up. He is a good blocker but he doesn't create the space for himself that Jerramy Stevens does (Sure Stevens was uncharacteristically dropping all those balls in the SB, but there is a reason Hasselbeck kept going to him; He was kept on getting open. His size and athletism creates huge match up problems for the defense). Stevens ability to return healthy early in the season will be a vital piece keeping our offense in the elite realm.

Hey Hawk,

The O-Line pick looks to be a solid one - he will get his reps and it would appear that Seattle has an elite coaching program for that position.

Even though he was a high round draft pick, i'll let it slide becasue he hasn't seen much action - I was thinking of this years draft mostly anwyay.

Was Babineaux the guy who took Tom Brady's helmet off with a huge hit a couple of years back?

I guess you are hoping another name will step up to give you a little depth in the DB corps also.

Speaking of depth, it seems crazy to have only one TE on the roster who has pass catching abilities one TE and you have to drastically alter Hasselbecks game plan.

NM

ExtonSteelFan
08-22-2006, 10:35 AM
Hmmm.

There are alot of ifs, buts and maybes at this time of year, and its seems especially so this year.

People concentrate on the weaknesses that the Patriots have developed over the last couple of years, but its all relative.

Most teams do not excel at both offense and defense - many teams make it into the playoffs just by being very good at one or the other - Chicago, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Baltimore etc etc - so its not beyond belief that the Patriots D could fail to fire this season and that they would still have enough on offense to make the post-season.

I think we have 3 excellent LBers and then a bunch of question marks - then again, not every team can boast 3 excellent LBers.

It should also be remembered that the Patriots are loaded the two highest impact positions - Head coach and QB.

Looking at the schedule, absolute worst case scenario is 9-7, and that really is worst case.

My own personal prediction?

13-3

And I think the odds of the Patriots meeting the Steelers in the postseason to be very healthy.

NM

For the most part I agree with this, but I think 13-3 for the pats is being a little bit optimistic. Thats just my opinion though and I could be completley wrong. Even though the Pats don't have a grueling schedule this year, I see them going 11-5 and making the playoffs.

I do agree with the 9-7 being the worst case. With that schedule, even with some injuries, I can't see the Pats loosing much more than that. Unless of course Tom Brady is injured along with several other starters.

Hawk Believer
08-22-2006, 11:31 AM
Hey Hawk,

The O-Line pick looks to be a solid one - he will get his reps and it would appear that Seattle has an elite coaching program for that position.

Even though he was a high round draft pick, i'll let it slide becasue he hasn't seen much action - I was thinking of this years draft mostly anwyay.

Was Babineaux the guy who took Tom Brady's helmet off with a huge hit a couple of years back?

I guess you are hoping another name will step up to give you a little depth in the DB corps also.

Speaking of depth, it seems crazy to have only one TE on the roster who has pass catching abilities one TE and you have to drastically alter Hasselbecks game plan.

NM
I thnk it was Michael Boulware who got that hit on Brady. Was the only highlight of the day for a Seahawk fan if I remember correctly.

Re: the DBs, yeah we do need some people to step up. Ken hamlin was the guy who got put in the hospital last season with a skull fracture and brain injury when he got beat up with a metal sign in a night club last year. He is back. Everyone is wondering if he will be able to return to form. His trademark was his bonecrushing hits, earning him the nickname Hammer. It appears he is doing fine in camp, but we'll have to see whne the season starts.

We also have a first round pick at corner in Kelly Jennings. It might be asking too much for him to startright now. He has had a few clinics put on him in the preseason games. But its just because the game is different from college and he is learning an awful lot. He is a smart guy and has a really good attitude about it (even though he is from Miami!). My guess is that he might not be reliable i crunch time till later in the season.

That means we'll probably be relying on another Kelly, Kelly Herndon. He is a guy who is OK but just can't consistantly keep up with the big boys. I expect the side opposite Marcus Trufant to get thrown at a lot until they prove to the league they are up to the task.

Re tight ends: We have a few other young guys in camp. But the word is that none of them have shown a lot of promise yet. Its a huge weakness for us because our West Coast system needs that tight end going across the middle for a few catches to keep the D honest.

Hawk Believer
12-28-2006, 06:18 PM

I remembered this thread the other day and thought it would be interesting to have people review their predictions now that the season is ending. My predictions were a bit optimisitic....

B]Chris Spencer - C or LG [/B]- The Hawks O-line has been banged up all year. Spencer got his chance. He started a few games playing left guard. He got beat pretty badly on a few plays. But he did shoe signs of improving. Then our center Tobek got injured and Spencer returned to the position he was supposed to be playing originally. He seems to be doing much better as the season progresses. He was not off the charts by any means, but is doing about as well as one might hope a lineman might do in his first real season of play.

Jordan Babineaux DB Earned a spot as a safety over Michael Boulware mid season. Babineaux has been pretty good in this position. But he hasn't had many big plays either. Definatetly not a threat to show up in Honolulu any time soon.

Maurice Morris - RB - I shouldn't even be bringing this up. The only way this guy could have a breakout year would be if Alexander goes down (knock on wood). Apparently I didn't knock hard enough. Morris got his touches this year. He was pretty lackluster initially and we moved to a less balanced offense with 4 reciever sets a lot more often. He did improve as the season went on and showed he is nice contrast to SA when he does get in. He really hits the line quickly and gets through holes as opposed to SA bouncing outside. So Morris showed he was a good RB. Not outstanding, at least not yet. He did a serivceable job while SA was out and while the O-Line and Hasselbeck were banged up. Perhaps the most important thing he did during that time was hold onto the ball pretty well. I don't remember him fumbling much. But he definately was not ready to immediately fill the SA's 2005 shoes. Course neither was the 2006 SA either.

polamalufan43
12-28-2006, 06:22 PM
I would agree with Willie Reid and Nate Washington. I think that Santonio will get better through the years. The person I really want to see is Willie Reid. I've heard so much about him but people haven't got a chance to see him play due to injury.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

tony hipchest
12-28-2006, 08:09 PM
I remembered this thread the other day and thought it would be interesting to have people review their predictions now that the season is ending. My predictions were a bit optimisitic....

id have to say v. jackson and m. turner were good calls (boltfan left out their rookie LT though, who has done superbly) im thinking turner has earned himself a lamont jordan type contract (not to say it will be money well spent but we will see)

cantstop85 mad a good call on that fat lady peko who plays on their DL. she seems to be a solid contributor on what has been a pretty shoddy defense.

keisel was the best steelers pick seeing how few non established players are even given a shot on the steelers. clark did well and im sure w. parker woulda headed the steelers list if he hadnt already been a starter last season. he still had the break out season i expected.

thank God no one said r. colclough

CantStop85
12-28-2006, 08:36 PM

2 out of 3 ain't bad...Rashad Jeanty became a starter and Peko got a lot of playing time...Tab Perry got IRed pretty quickly though.

A lot of good foresight in this thread.

Livinginthe past
12-28-2006, 08:52 PM

NM

Great idea, Hawk.

I'll give myself half a point out of a possible 2.

Mincey never made it past TC for whatever reason he was a 6th round bust, but a bust nonetheless - he is currently with the Jags.

Funnily, Bam Childress just got his first call to the 53 last sunday - he had a couple of catches - a real hard effort guy maybe he'll come up with a couple of key plays in the postseason.

Its definitely interesting looking back at predictions made before the season started.

I think all of us done ok.

NM

tony hipchest
12-28-2006, 09:04 PM
Its definitely interesting looking back at predictions made before the season started.

I think all of us done ok.

NMspeaking of prediction threads thers an "over rated/ under rated" thread and offensive/ defensive rookie mvp's that deserves a revisit (im sure no one called demaco ryans or coulston...or drew.... or hester.... or drew.

iloveben7
12-28-2006, 09:13 PM
Good thread topic.

Nate Washington: Keeping this simple. They need to give this kid a chance. After the Vikings game I believe he earned that chance. Supposedly, his main weakness coming into camp was his speed. In the words of Whiz, his speed is "deceiving". After watching his back-to-back game reverses, I agree. He has nice height, doesn't put the ball on the ground. Runs smooth routes for the most part. You throw him the ball and he catches it. What's the problem?
I agree with you completely!! I was so excited when I heard we picked Willie Reid because he would be filling in for Randle El!! Also Nate Washington will become even better next year, so watch out all your cornerbacks because you're not going to take the ball away from our boy Nate!! Another player that I think is going to come back with an even better year than the 3 he's already had is Ben Roethlisberger!! All Pittsburgh fans know how great he is, but all other fans lost track of him because of this season, but watch out next year-he's going to be amazing!!

Livinginthe past
12-28-2006, 09:19 PM
speaking of prediction threads thers an "over rated/ under rated" thread and offensive/ defensive rookie mvp's that deserves a revisit (im sure no one called demaco ryans or coulston...or drew.... or hester.... or drew.

Hey if you can find it, give it a bump.

NM

tony hipchest
12-28-2006, 09:48 PM
Hey if you can find it, give it a bump.

NMive done a search on all threads and post with you containing:

offensive defensive rookies
rookies
roty
roy
rookie
offensive rookie
etc.

i still cant find it :dang:

Livinginthe past
12-28-2006, 09:50 PM
You found one of them, I bumped the other. :wink02:

NM

Hawk Believer
01-07-2007, 12:22 PM
I would like to note that the person who made the game saving tackle on Romo in last nights improbable Seahawk playoff victory against the Cowboys was one of my under the radar picks, Jordan Babineaux. He and rookie Kelly Jennings started at CB and did an excellent job of containing Glenn and TO. And Babineaux finished the game by preventing a TD or first down by Romo by making a diving tackle after coming from the opposite side of the line in pursuit and forcing a fumble. Thats two games in a row now where the Cowboys should have won against the Hawks but the game turned on an amazing play by Babineaux. They have got to hate that guy down in Texas.

tony hipchest
01-07-2007, 12:31 PM
I would like to note that the person who made the game saving tackle on Romo in last nights improbable Seahawk playoff victory against the Cowboys was one of my under the radar picks, Jordan Babineaux. He and rookie Kelly Jennings started at CB and did an excellent job of containing Glenn and TO. And Babineaux finished the game by preventing a TD or first down by Romo by making a diving tackle after coming from the opposite side of the line in pursuit and forcing a fumble. Thats two games in a row now where the Cowboys should have won against the Hawks but the game turned on an amazing play by Babineaux. They have got to hate that guy down in Texas.that was a great play. it reminded me of the TD saving (game saving) tackle willie williams made from the backside, on 3rd down, in the 95 playoff game vs the colts. did you see the kicker was in perfect position to block babineaux? the kicker makes that play and its a td.

Hawk Believer
01-07-2007, 12:34 PM
that was a great play. it reminded me of the TD saving (game saving) tackle willie williams made from the backside, on 3rd down, in the 95 playoff game vs the colts. did you see the kicker was in perfect position to block babineaux? the kicker makes that play and its a td.
I waonder if Vanderjact (Sp?) would have made the block.

The other big what if... If Romo holds on to the ball there is a good chance they spot it for a first down on the one. Do you think he fumbled intentionally to keep the play alive?

tony hipchest
01-07-2007, 01:01 PM
I waonder if Vanderjact (Sp?) would have made the block.

The other big what if... If Romo holds on to the ball there is a good chance they spot it for a first down on the one. Do you think he fumbled intentionally to keep the play alive?good point. vanderjact woulda made that block. gramattica pussed out.

it wasnt a fumble since the ground knocked the ball out of his hand. even where it was downed it was about a foot and a half shy of the marker. and an intentionnal fumble is out of the question cause you cant advance it. he thought he was running in for a td when he got tripped up by suprise. his hand holding the ball was the only thing he had to break the fall.

that game had more twists and turns and incredibly close calls than i can remember in a long time. congrats on the win. its gotta feel good.

Hawk Believer
01-07-2007, 01:11 PM
good point. vanderjact woulda made that block. gramattica pussed out.

it wasnt a fumble since the ground knocked the ball out of his hand. even where it was downed it was about a foot and a half shy of the marker. and an intentionnal fumble is out of the question cause you cant advance it. he thought he was running in for a td when he got tripped up by suprise. his hand holding the ball was the only thing he had to break the fall.

that game had more twists and turns and incredibly close calls than i can remember in a long time. congrats on the win. its gotta feel good.

We were all going so crazy I didn't even catch that. They ruled it was not a fumble?

It was nice to have one exciting, important game this season. The only other game that came close to this over the last season was mopping up on the Giants back before we knew how bad they were.