PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin and Haley in Knoxville today....

StevieRayVol
03-20-2013, 10:09 PM
At UT Pro day...Apparently looking at Tyler Bray:http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2013/mar/20/ut-pro-day-players-vying-nfl-job-interview/

Bayz101
03-20-2013, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the hometown tip!

Tyler Bray? He has a nice pump-fake.

teegre
03-21-2013, 12:49 AM
I'm not trying to offend, but: is that speculation on your part (about Bray)... or, the local gossip... or, what ESPN is saying?

Also, could they be looking at Patterson and/or Hunter. (Is there any info, rumors, or else on those two?)

SteelersCanada
03-21-2013, 12:54 AM
They took Bray out to dinner, but they also took Cousins out to dinner. Do you know what these guys both have in common? They won't be playing in Pittsburgh.

Bane
03-21-2013, 01:12 AM
Hopefully they were watching Patterson as well.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
03-21-2013, 01:20 AM
Hopefully they were watching Patterson as well.

And Rogers to

bornaSteelersfan
03-21-2013, 02:21 AM
See what Mike Mayock has to say:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/0ap2000000152190/Tennessee-pro-day-report

They are looking at receivers I am sure.

The Rams were there, too. However, The Rams did not have much representatives looking at Tavon Austin in WV. I see The Rams taking Patterson in the first while The Steelers either take Austin in the first or possibly Stedman Bailey in 2nd if a better player drops to them.

Hawaii 5-0
03-21-2013, 02:23 AM
They took Bray out to dinner

Steelers interested in QB Tyler Bray?

MAR 20
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

For the past two years, ever since Ben Roethlisberger turned 30, the Steelers have been questioned on when they would draft a quarterback to develop behind the two-time Super Bowl winner.

Bray surprisingly left Tennessee with a year of eligibility remaining. ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper once said that Bray could've been a first-round pick if he had stayed in college another year. Now, Bray is projected to go in the third or fourth round.

There's no question that Bray has an NFL arm. He can make all the throws, including the deep out. The ball flies out of the hand of the 6-foot-5 Bray. NFL Films' Greg Cosell believes Bray has the "best arm talent" in the draft.

Bray also has the confidence to fit the ball in tight windows. Some have compared Bray's gunslinger mentality to Roethlisberger, but he doesn't have the same improvisational skills.

There is some concern about Bray's maturity and work ethic. He had a couple of incidents last summer, including a reckless boating charge that was dismissed and a citation for vandalism for throwing beer cans on parked cars.

Earlier Wednesday, I was asked on the chat whether the Steelers would take a quarterback in the draft. After the Steelers signed Bruce Gradkowski to a three-year deal this offseason, it looked like the Steelers wouldn't take a quarterback until the late rounds. But, if this report about Bray is any indication, the Steelers could take a quarterback earlier than many expect.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/67515/steelers-interested-in-qb-tyler-bray

Grav
03-21-2013, 03:43 AM
Maybe they wanted to learn more about Patterson?

Galax Steeler
03-21-2013, 04:35 AM
I think we need to address the quarterback issue this year. I know we got one through free agency but we have to get Bens replacement and this is the year.

pczach
03-21-2013, 06:24 AM
I'm not trying to offend, but: is that speculation on your part (about Bray)... or, the local gossip... or, what ESPN is saying?

Also, could they be looking at Patterson and/or Hunter. (Is there any info, rumors, or else on those two?)

I think they're looking at everybody. When they go to these private workouts or team workouts, they are looking at every player on the field, while trying to conceal which players they are truly targeting from other teams. If a player they didn't covet jumps out at them in workouts, they move them up on their draft board and may try to get them at a spot that they believe they get great value.

StevieRayVol
03-21-2013, 06:34 AM

You aren't offending me:drink:. That's the local gossip. Tomlin was the ONLY NFL coach in attendance yesterday in Knoxville. He and Haley took Bray out to dinner. They supposedly spent a lot of time with him yesterday. Whether he's drafted by the Steelers remains to be seen.:tt:

steelfury02
03-21-2013, 08:56 AM
they're spending way too much time in Knoxville instead of trying to quickly strike at ND's and WVU's talent.

if they weren't scouting scared and waiting for Colbert to bail them out at the last second, they'd be able to get with more modern teams like the Packers and Seahawks:coffee:

JackH
03-21-2013, 10:01 AM
they're spending way too much time in Knoxville instead of trying to quickly strike at ND's and WVU's talent.

if they weren't scouting scared and waiting for Colbert to bail them out at the last second, they'd be able to get with more modern teams like the Packers and Seahawks:coffee:

Oh, they are probably well aware of what the guys at ND and WVA can do.

I saw a clip on NFL NW of Tomlin talking to Cordarelle Patterson, who said Tomlin wanted to see him do a vertical jump I think it was but he didn't have the right shoes.

For those who think the Steelers shouldn't take a WR or TE with their first pick, you haven't yet woken up and smelled the roses.

It could (and should be in my opinion) be Austin, Eifert, or Patterson. I suspect the Rams who pick just ahead of the Steelers are going to take either Austin or Patterson.

Now, as far as taking a QB to groom as Ben's replacement, the time to do that is 4 or 5 years from now. Taking a QB in the draft is a waste of a pick. What the Steelers should do is sign a QB as an undrafted free agent. You need a QB on the practice squad so that you have another option if your QB and backup get injured. You know, like last season when the Steelers had to go out looking for somebody. I'm not sure if John Parker Wilson can be on the practice squad.

Steeler7BR
03-21-2013, 10:15 AM

I saw a clip on NFL NW of Tomlin talking to Cordarelle Patterson, who said Tomlin wanted to see him do a vertical jump I think it was but he didn't have the right shoes.

For those who think the Steelers shouldn't take a WR or TE with their first pick, you haven't yet woken up and smelled the roses.

It could (and should be in my opinion) be Austin, Eifert, or Patterson. I suspect the Rams who pick just ahead of the Steelers are going to take either Austin or Patterson.

Now, as far as taking a QB to groom as Ben's replacement, the time to do that is 4 or 5 years from now. Taking a QB in the draft is a waste of a pick. What the Steelers should do is sign a QB as an undrafted free agent. You need a QB on the practice squad so that you have another option if your QB and backup get injured. You know, like last season when the Steelers had to go out looking for somebody. I'm not sure if John Parker Wilson can be on the practice squad.

Of course WR is a possibility in the first round, but I think it's still unlikely and not the first choise for us. I would be surprised I mean real surprised if they go in the direction of a TE in the first round, don't think thats gonna happen. And if we draft a WR in the first it has to be rather Patterson or Allen I can't imagine that we will take another slot receiver in the first with Sanders on our roster.

steelfury02
03-21-2013, 10:18 AM

all good points sir - I was being a smart ass though :chuckle:

teegre
03-21-2013, 11:41 AM

Great post. Marty Schottenheimer would be impressed. :wink02:

harrison'samonster
03-21-2013, 11:56 AM
Great post. Marty Schottenheimer would be impressed. :wink02:

it was a very good post. i thought he was serious the first time I read it, but after a second time i realized how great it was!

Steelerindc
03-21-2013, 01:07 PM
I believe the time to get Ben's backup is now, the way he's missed games in the past two yrs is scary to me and the longer he holds the ball behind this O-Line gives me more concern.

I say for the future just in case, Brad is not the long term solution and the way that Ben get's hurt Tyler or whoever will be able to get some in game experience.

harrison'samonster
03-21-2013, 01:11 PM
I believe the time to get Ben's backup is now, the way he's missed games in the past two yrs is scary to me and the longer he holds the ball behind this O-Line gives me more concern.

I say for the future just in case, Brad is not the long term solution and the way that Ben get's hurt Tyler or whoever will be able to get some in game experience.

I agree it's time to start looking for another starter, but I think we can wait a year or two. I know a lot of people on here think Ben's got up to 5 more years left, but the more I think about it the less I'm sure about his future. Injuries can catch up really quickly. I hope I'm wrong, but it would be smart to start looking at QB's in the next draft or the one after.

Blacksburg Zach
03-21-2013, 01:46 PM

The Seahawks have not embraced the modern era. They were top 5 in TOP, proving they were too focused on holding onto the ball and protecting their defense instead of scoring. Not only did they hold onto the ball too long, but they finished third in rushing and 27th in passing. This is a new NFL! The running game is obsolete and the team that attempts the most passes will always win! The Seahawks need to get with the times, or they will never dream of making the playoffs again!

Hawaii 5-0
03-21-2013, 01:52 PM
The Seahawks have not embraced the moodern era. They were top 5 in TOP, proving they were too focused on holding onto the ball and protecting their defense instead of scoring. Not only did they hold onto the ball too long, but they finished third in rushing and 27th in passing. This is a new NFL! The running game is obsolete and the team that attempts the most passes will always win! The Seahawks need to get with the times, or they will never dream of making the playoffs again!

no wonder the Seahawks didn't win the Super Bowl...:wink02:

JackH
03-21-2013, 02:23 PM

I think the backup QB is the second most important player on the team, whether he ever gets on the field. "Game experience" doesn't interest me much unless you are already out of the playoff picture.

That being said, I'd like to see the Steelers sign Charlie Batch to one more season as the 3rd string guy, again. Wilson, if he can per the rules, or an undrafted free agent goes to the practice squad.

Next season the Steelers will have at least 3 more draft picks and they will be 3rd, 4th, 5th round vicinity. Seems to me that's the opportunity to get a QB in the draft to groom, if you must. The draft picks this year are needed for players who might be able to contribute the coming season. I'd rather see the Steelers draft a punter late in the draft this year than a QB. There are some punters available late in the draft who are most likely better than the one we have.

steelfury02
03-21-2013, 02:55 PM
for the record lol - I was being a smart ass

for the record lol - I don't think the way the Steelers were leaning on TOP was a bad thing considering the defense wasn't rounded into form yet - the onus has been on the offense to carry this team for a change and I think they were beginning to do just that before injuries set in

for the record lol - I actually do think the Seahawks are an up and coming "sexy" team - they're going to contend with some of the new guys they brought in on both sides of the ball, especially at QB and DBs. They're def an aggressive free agency team since Carroll came to town but I think that they've done it in a way that places another weapon in their arsenal and not just a name

for the record lol - Schotty and Cowher would approve of Haley, you know - for all you Cowher lover/Tomllin Hater/Haley Hater people:chuckle:

Steelers>NFL
03-21-2013, 02:59 PM
for the record lol - I was being a smart ass

for the record lol - I don't think the way the Steelers were leaning on TOP was a bad thing considering the defense wasn't rounded into form yet - the onus has been on the offense to carry this team for a change and I think they were beginning to do just that before injuries set in

for the record lol - I actually do think the Seahawks are an up and coming "sexy" team - they're going to contend with some of the new guys they brought in on both sides of the ball, especially at QB and DBs. They're def an aggressive free agency team since Carroll came to town but I think that they've done it in a way that places another weapon in their arsenal and not just a name

for the record lol - Schotty and Cowher would approve of Haley, you know - for all you Cowher lover/Tomllin Hater/Haley Hater people:chuckle:

thanks "for the record"...

ETL
03-21-2013, 08:08 PM
I think it's Sex Week in Tennesee this week

steelfury02
03-21-2013, 08:36 PM
I think it's Sex Week in Tennesee this week

Secks wake you saay?
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljrm2lyAa61qig6iso1_400.jpg

Hawaii 5-0
03-22-2013, 12:11 AM
DRAFT GRADES FOR TOP 10 BY POSITION - QUARTERBACKS

By Lance Zierlein
March 21, 2013

Lance Zierlein grades the Top 10 quarterbacks.

QUARTERBACK RANKINGS

Quarterback School Round
Geno Smith West Virginia 1st
Matt Barkley USC 2nd
EJ Manuel Florida St. 2nd/3rd
Mike Glennon NC State 2nd/3rd
Tyler Wilson Arkansas 3rd
Ryan Nassib Syracuse 3rd
Tyler Bray Tennessee 3rd/4th
Zac Dysert Miami, OH 4th
Landry Jones Oklahoma 4th
Matt Scott Arizona 5th

ANALYSIS

We all know this is a poor year for franchise QBs or even full-time starters, but there are some interesting prospects to talk about.

Geno Smith has the best combination of athleticism, arm, size and makeup, but he is certainly no sure thing. I would have liked to see Smith run a little more last year when the opportunity arose because the ability to create when a play breaks down would be a big plus in the NFL.

Matt Barkley is worth a late first round pick in my opinion, but only to a team who has a starter in place and who is looking to try and groom him. If a bad team drafted him and tried to plug him in right now, I think he would fail and potentially fail miserably. He needs more coaching.

To me, the guys with the biggest upsides are Mike Glennon and EJ Manuel, but for different reasons. Glennon has the size and the arm, but he makes poor decisions at times which results in turnovers and he will get sacked a ton. If you plugged him in with a strong offensive line and gave him time to throw, he could be a QB who attacks defenses down the field as he showed the ability to strike with the deep ball quite often at N.C. State. Anything short of a great pair of tackles and he will get creamed.

Manuel is a pure projection. His stats from Florida State look good on paper, but his play didn't always say "first three round QB". What I really like about Manuel besides his size and ability to operate outside of the pocket is that he's got moldable traits. He has played out of gun, under center and run some zone-read. He's the perfect prospect for a team looking to diversify their offense. He's got a high ceiling, but a low floor so taking him within the first two rounds is a swing for the fences.

Tyler Wilson showed a desire to survive last year which meant getting rid of the ball quickly. He is better than what we saw at times last year behind that offensive line and with that lack of skill talent, but I don't think he has the type of NFL arm most teams will look for. He needs to be in a west coast offense.

As for Ryan Nassib, he's intelligent and competitive, but I can't get past the fact that so much of his game looks so average. I just don't see the 1st round grades that some are putting on him.

Tyler Bray's measurables are very intriguing, but I would have liked to have seen even more production considering he was playing with NFL-caliber WRs and an NFL-caliber left tackle in Dallas Thomas.

Zac Dysert appears to be relatively average in every way as well, but I like him. I saw poise when I studied him and I think that is a very important trait for a potential NFL starter. Landry Jones has a decent arm and a quick set-up but his accuracy inconsistencies are hard for me to get past.

http://www.thesidelineview.com/columns/draft/draft-grades-top-10-position-quarterbacks