PDA

View Full Version : Steelers interested in Dwight Freeney

Wallace17
03-21-2013, 09:35 PM
Check it out. Make's no sense after getting rid of Harrison but if he replaces foote I would be happy.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/03/report-steelers-interested-in-former-colts-lb-dwight-freeney/

Wallace17
03-21-2013, 09:37 PM
Why not take Urlacher as well.

harrison'samonster
03-21-2013, 09:39 PM
and dumervill too

Wallace17
03-21-2013, 09:43 PM
Hell's yea lets bring in Joey Porter as well. He can sell fast Willie Parker shirts 2 for 5 dolla's before the game, might help him get out debt.

SteelCurtain5643
03-21-2013, 09:48 PM
I'd take Freeney, if he comes cheap enough why not

casteeler
03-21-2013, 09:59 PM
This team needs to focus on the draft

Hawaii 5-0
03-21-2013, 10:11 PM
Freeney is a much better 4-3 DE than 3-4 OLB.

OliverPoop
03-21-2013, 10:44 PM

Yes because rookie players (where 50% won't make the team) are the answer to this team's woes.

Millers the sh!t
03-22-2013, 12:18 AM
Yes because rookie players (where 50% won't make the team) are the answer to this team's woes.

You had me at "poop"

Good call kid. But the way K.Colbert has been swinging and missing through round 2-6+ these past five years. Maybe we should be focussing more on the drafts. Lol....Colbert is another highly overrated Steelers associated on this board...... And I'm glad u are somewhat aware this dude ain't close to god and makes major mistakes that has been more bad than good in recent Years.

PhantomJB93
03-22-2013, 12:22 AM
Dwight Freeney is almost just as much on the downside of his career as Harrison and just doesn't really have good experience at 3-4 backer. At the price it would cost I'd rather just bring back Harrison at a discount.

Dumervil is still a different story altogether, he would be worth a nice contract if we could squeeze the pennies to afford it.

desertsteel
03-22-2013, 12:22 AM

NFL Execs should actually be able to handle both free agency AND the draft.

desertsteel
03-22-2013, 12:25 AM
Can't we structure a deal with a big signing bonus and very little counting towards the cap? I mean Flacco got $20M but only $3M counted against the cap.

MasterOfPuppets
03-22-2013, 02:45 AM
http://4funz.com/Funny-Pictures/memes/fail/img-moron-148

MasterOfPuppets
03-22-2013, 02:48 AM
Freeney is a much better 4-3 DE than 3-4 OLB.

Dwight Freeney is almost just as much on the downside of his career as Harrison and just doesn't really have good experience { has zero experience ) at 3-4 backer. At the price it would cost I'd rather just bring back Harrison at a discount.

Dumervil is still a different story altogether, he would be worth a nice contract if we could squeeze the pennies to afford it.
don't say things that make sense...you'll only confuse them.

tony hipchest
03-22-2013, 03:05 AM
This team needs to focus on the drafti agree. if we dont focus on the draft we wont have players like sean spence to replace larry foote....

nevermind. :doh:

steelers focused on the draft when they drafted worilds. what if he gets hurt...

again? :huh:

steelers are wise to kick the tires on freeney if nothing more than to drive up his price for whichever AFC team that signs him.

ricardisimo
03-22-2013, 03:16 AM
About every four or five years we make a killer free agent signing: Ryan Clark, James Farrior, Jeff Hartings, Kevin Greene... it's just about time for another one. Most of those guys were just coming out of their initial contracts, and Freeney's a little long in the tooth to fit the bill. But who knows? :noidea:

Galax Steeler
03-22-2013, 03:28 AM
I say no to Freeney we need to get some youth going at the position. The draft can't get here soon enough:doh:

SH-Rock
03-22-2013, 03:29 AM
You had me at "poop"

Good call kid. But the way K.Colbert has been swinging and missing through round 2-6+ these past five years. Maybe we should be focussing more on the drafts. Lol....Colbert is another highly overrated Steelers associated on this board...... And I'm glad u are somewhat aware this dude ain't close to god and makes major mistakes that has been more bad than good in recent Years.

Brought us to 3 superbowls, won 2. I think that's a heck of a job from a overrated Steeler.

Millers the sh!t
03-22-2013, 05:24 AM
Oh yea I forgot.... My fault. That also reminds me. He got that 100 yard pick six right before halftime and a last second game winning stretched out toe dragging acrobatic catch in the end zone too. All in a single game. How could I forget about Colbert's iron man football skills he has?

Lemme guess he's a genius cause luckily every team passed over DeCastro and fell in our lap. Pouncey too......it's kind of hard to fuck up a first round pick but we letting one go this season cause it was a flop, anyways he ain't hitting them out of the park and most are ending up flat busts. And if he does find a decent one worth keeping we can't pay to keep him cause him and Khan are such super geniuses we can't afford a dollar scratch ticket to pay for these guys. I'd preffer Colbert over most GM's out there but some fans need a reality check....

lipps83
03-22-2013, 07:15 AM

You forgot to add that the 50% that do make it need to wait 3-4 years to play since learning this defense is on par with understanding the fundamentals of String Theory.

jjpro11
03-22-2013, 07:25 AM
it's kind of hard to fuck up a first round pick

Really? Ask the Browns, Lions from the Millen era, or pretty much any other team that has sucked for an extended period of time. Not knowing how to turn your first round picks, or in their cases, early first round picks, into the franchise players they are supposed to be is what leads to years of terrible football teams.

teegre
03-22-2013, 07:37 AM
Really? Ask the Browns, Lions from the Millen era, or pretty much any other team that has sucked for an extended period of time. Not knowing how to turn your first round picks, or in their cases, early first round picks, into the franchise players they are supposed to be is what leads to years of terrible football teams.

Exactly. The Chargers haven't drafted a Pro-Bowl player in their last thirty-seven picks. They'd kill for Pittsburgh's draft success, especially in the first round.

6RINGS
03-22-2013, 07:37 AM
We are desperate, searching for scraps. I say draft and play the people we already have. This season is gonna suck, do not fool yourselves...

Terminator
03-22-2013, 07:44 AM
How is this even news?

Neither player would even CONSIDER playing for the little amount of money we could offer them, nor has either even confirmed to be meeting with the Steelers.

This is bullshit.

Terminator
03-22-2013, 07:48 AM
it's kind of hard to fuck up a first round pick

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ziggy_Hood

Steeler7BR
03-22-2013, 07:49 AM
I think we have a real shot at getting James back now. He obviously doesn't have a market out their and no team really wants to give him a nice contract. So theres hope again which would be so great for us and would give us a little breathing room for the 2013 season. An elite player for 1 or 2 years to have time to get some quality replacement would be awesome.

Steelers>NFL
03-22-2013, 08:04 AM
No thanks to James!
No thanks to Freeney!

But, yes to Dumerville!

wwhickok
03-22-2013, 08:17 AM
I think youre reading too much into this. They are showing interest, not expected to sign. I have no doubt they are focused on the draft.:tt04:

Terminator
03-22-2013, 08:19 AM
James

elite player

Oh, you. :sofunny:

steelfury02
03-22-2013, 08:24 AM
Oh yea I forgot.... My fault. That also reminds me. He got that 100 yard pick six right before halftime and a last second game winning stretched out toe dragging acrobatic catch in the end zone too. All in a single game. How could I forget about Colbert's iron man football skills he has?

Lemme guess he's a genius cause luckily every team passed over DeCastro and fell in our lap. Pouncey too......it's kind of hard to fuck up a first round pick but we letting one go this season cause it was a flop, anyways he ain't hitting them out of the park and most are ending up flat busts. And if he does find a decent one worth keeping we can't pay to keep him cause him and Khan are such super geniuses we can't afford a dollar scratch ticket to pay for these guys. I'd preffer Colbert over most GM's out there but some fans need a reality check....

thank you - you in fact do not have to have blind faith to be a Steelers fan - you can actually make a few judgements and have an opinion that isn't just "But they're part of the Steelers - you must not be a true fan."

I've said it for a while now - Colbert will begin to feel his seat warming up if we have a repeat performance with no new guys stepping it up.

Steeler7BR
03-22-2013, 08:26 AM
Oh, you. :sofunny:

Man why are you not looking a little closer on the stats and let other people do the real talking. You probably don't even noticed that Harrison was on the field in 2012. Watch some games next season and then come back to talk.

Blacksburg Zach
03-22-2013, 08:52 AM

Really? If first round picks are so easy to make, then why are certain teams like the Browns and Raiders(when they're not giving their picks away) consistently bad even though they consistently get top ten picks? How's JaMarcus Russell doing? How about Ryan Leaf? Busting on a first round pick is actually much easier than it seems.

casteeler
03-22-2013, 10:55 AM

The point was they cannot afford Freeney,swing and a miss

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-22-2013, 11:09 AM
Its going to be veteran OLB musical chairs. Whoever is left standing when the music stops will be signed by the Steelers. Freeney or Harrison and I'm fine with that.

OX1947
03-22-2013, 11:13 AM
Freeney is a 4-3 guy. He does not drop back in coverage. Not gonna work. Besides, Steelers are probably offering 5 bucks a year in salary so, its a moot point.

fer522
03-22-2013, 11:14 AM
What about Abraham is he still available? Or is he too expensive?

teegre
03-22-2013, 11:46 AM
Takeo Spikes.

We're playing "Name the 2004 Pro Bowl team" right???

Fire Haley
03-22-2013, 12:16 PM
I'd take Freeney in a heartbeat - over 100 sacks, over 40 forced fumbles, he can still get it done even as a situational pass rusher from the outside....beats the hell out of the lumbering bears we have upfront on the DL too.

Fire Arians
03-22-2013, 12:44 PM
come on man

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-22-2013, 01:01 PM
Freeney is a 4-3 guy. He does not drop back in coverage. Not gonna work. Besides, Steelers are probably offering 5 bucks a year in salary so, its a moot point.

What is the coverage responsibilities of the Steelers OLB's?? They drop back into hook/curl zones when they are not rushing or playing the run.

Tell me that Gildon, Porter, Haggans, Lloyd, Greene, Harrison, Woodley have ever been chasing tight ends or slot receivers all over the field.

Dwight Freeney is a good enough athlete to take a 3-5 step and drive back into a hook/curl zone. :doh:

OX1947
03-22-2013, 01:06 PM
What is the coverage responsibilities of the Steelers OLB's?? They drop back into hook/curl zones when they are not rushing or playing the run.

Tell me that Gildon, Porter, Haggans, Lloyd, Greene, Harrison, Woodley have ever been chasing tight ends or slot receivers all over the field.

Dwight Freeney is a good enough athlete to take a 3-5 step and drive back into a hook/curl zone. :doh:

No.

Millers the sh!t
03-23-2013, 02:44 PM
Really? If first round picks are so easy to make, then why are certain teams like the Browns and Raiders(when they're not giving their picks away) consistently bad even though they consistently get top ten picks? How's JaMarcus Russell doing? How about Ryan Leaf? Busting on a first round pick is actually much easier than it seems.

Ummm...cause the organization sucks from top to bottom. They don't know how to use their talent. Plain and simple. But I do stand corrected. Colbert is making fucking up draft picks look pretty easy in the past four years.

Hawaii 5-0
03-24-2013, 06:40 PM
Dwight Freeney at top of Denver Broncos' wish list

By Chris Wesseling
Around the League Writer
Published: March 24, 2013

The Denver Broncos had pass rushers Dwight Freeney and John Abraham in town last Thursday as a fallback plan in case Elvis Dumervil flew the coop.

Now that Dumervil has chosen the Baltimore Ravens, the Broncos are turning their attention back to the two aging veterans.

A source close to the situation told NFL Network's Michelle Beisner on Sunday that the Broncos are "making a hard push" for Freeney.

Freeney -- who is represented by Dumervil's agent, Tom Condon -- is the Broncos' first choice, according to The Denver Post's Mike Klis. In a bizarre twist, Klis had reported just moments before on Twitter that the Broncos are "expected to focus" on Abraham, with Freeney as a fallback option.

While Abraham has been more productive over the past three years, Freeney is two years younger and might have an "in" with Peyton Manning, his former longtime Indianapolis Colts teammate.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000153223/article/dwight-freeney-at-top-of-denver-broncos-wish-list

Fire Haley
03-27-2013, 08:35 AM
foiled again

NFL.com reports free agent Dwight Freeney is seeking $6 million per season.

Makes sense, with Dumervil's range at $26M-$35M over 5.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/316689026897809408

Hawaii 5-0
03-28-2013, 10:02 PM
Dwight Freeney wants richer deal than Osi Umenyiora

By Dan Hanzus
Around the League Writer
Published: March 28, 2013

Osi Umenyiora added some more context to the pass-rusher market Thursday when he officially signed a two-year deal with the Atlanta Falcons.

Dwight Freeney took note. NFL.com's Ian Rapoport said Thursday on "NFL Total Access" that Freeney wants more than Umenyiora's $8.5 million base earnings. And as NFL Network's Michelle Beisner reported earlier, Freeney's willing to wait to get the deal he wants.

The Denver Broncos have been the team most closely linked to Freeney. The veteran outside linebacker also has spotlighted the Detroit Lions and Miami Dolphins as potential destinations. The Dolphins ($15.7 million) have the most salary-cap space to play with, followed by the Broncos ($8.8M) and Lions ($7.3M).

Rapoport says Freeney is open to waiting until after the draft when teams can reassess roster needs. Another possible window is training camp, when teams must react to injuries.

It's an interesting strategy by Freeney, but it's a gamble he must feel comfortable taking.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000155207/article/dwight-freeney-wants-richer-deal-than-osi-umenyiora

IowaSteeler927
03-29-2013, 03:51 AM
Replaces Foote? Dwight Freeney is no MLB. He's an edge rusher much better fitted to playing DE in a 4-3 than OLB in a 3-4 as many others have already stated. We need to inject some youth into this team and get some younger players we've drafted some experience so we can see what we have in them. The only free agent I was interested in was Dumervil to play OLB but with our salary cap situation I knew that wasn't going to happen. Right now the salary cap situation dictates that we go to the draft to fill needs.