PDA

View Full Version : Change of plans for me

The_Joker
03-23-2013, 01:31 PM
A while back I stated I was going to Baltimore to see the Steelers-Ravens game there, but for multiple reasons *mostly because they suck now* I am changing my plans and going up to Pittsburgh instead, most likely for a Steelers-Bengals game.

Any tips for my pilgrimage to the Holy Land?

Justp94
03-23-2013, 09:01 PM
A while back I stated I was going to Baltimore to see the Steelers-Ravens game there, but for multiple reasons *mostly because they suck now* I am changing my plans and going up to Pittsburgh instead, most likely for a Steelers-Bengals game.

Any tips for my pilgrimage to the Holy Land?

The Steelers-Ravens rivalry is going to be better than the Bengals-Steelers rivalry no matter how bad the Steelers or Ravens are this season. But, I see your way of thinking, a Good Bengals team is better than seeing the Steelers vs a Mediocre Ravens team.

kent
03-23-2013, 09:42 PM
I suggest any primetime game in Pittsburgh. I went to the Ravens game last season and even though we lost I had a hell of a time. Nothing beats Pittsburgh and Heinz Field all lit up at night. Plus, a later game means more time to tailgate :drink: ( get a hotel room for after haha)

6RINGS
03-24-2013, 08:07 AM
I went to the Jet-Steeler game last year and I found Pittsburgh to be super boring, other than the game itself. I also had to go off on two guys at the game for using really nasty language sitting behind my 14 year old daughter.

Galax Steeler
03-24-2013, 08:14 AM
I have to say I go to a game in Pittsburgh almost every year and it is a blast. Not sure what 6RINGS didn't like about it but there is plenty to do in Pittsburgh. If you like to have a few beers I suggest going to Carson Street they have over a hundred bars down there and it is not in a bad place to be in. I suggest go early and do some tailgating before the game. There is also the incline that goes to the top of Mount Washington you can see the whole city from there it is best to go at night if you can. There is plenty more to do as well.

Galax Steeler
03-24-2013, 08:15 AM
There is also Permanti Bros that is a great place to eat.

6RINGS
03-24-2013, 09:23 AM
I am sure I would have had a better time with the guys. I was with the family and there is not much for the family there. We went to the market and Primanti Bros. It was average. We went to union square or station. It is virtually impossible to get a cab. The downtown area where we stayed is a ghost town.

lipps83
03-24-2013, 10:44 AM
I am sure I would have had a better time with the guys. I was with the family and there is not much for the family there. We went to the market and Primanti Bros. It was average. We went to union square or station. It is virtually impossible to get a cab. The downtown area where we stayed is a ghost town.

There is all kinds of things to do with family there. The zoo, Carnegie, Kennywood, Science center, parks, the list goes on.

6RINGS
03-24-2013, 11:07 AM
There is all kinds of things to do with family there. The zoo, Carnegie, Kennywood, Science center, parks, the list goes on.

Maybe I will give it another chance some other time. It just seemed so quiet to have an impressive skyline and downtown area.

casteeler
03-24-2013, 11:15 AM
I love how Pittsburgh feels like a small town as opposed to a San Francisco 'madness' feel. I lived in the South hills for a while and was never bored

The_Joker
03-24-2013, 12:15 PM
Sounds good. I am 16 by the way, so no alcohol for me. Me and my dad have always wanted to go to Pimanti's so that'll be cool.

My dad is a 'Skins fan by the way.

6RINGS
03-24-2013, 12:55 PM
I love how Pittsburgh feels like a small town as opposed to a San Francisco 'madness' feel. I lived in the South hills for a while and was never bored

I was born, raised and still live in a small city in SC. When I vacation, I like the New Yorks,Chicagos and San Frans of the world. Nice places to visit, but would not want to live there.

Blackout
03-24-2013, 03:11 PM
Sorry you had a bad experience 6RINGS. I lived in a township north of Pittsburgh for 10 years and just went back to the Burgh of Pitts last year.

Screw Primanti Bros, you gotta go to the Dirty "O" in Oakland.

harrison'samonster
03-24-2013, 03:15 PM
I'm a small town guy myself so I can relate to 6Rings. I try never to spend time in a bigger city. The Pittsburgh skyline is beautiful though.

Blackout
03-24-2013, 04:59 PM
I'm a small town guy myself so I can relate to 6Rings. I try never to spend time in a bigger city. The Pittsburgh skyline is beautiful though.

Yeah I'm also into a small town, I think Pittsburgh has that feel too even for a city.

But if you take the Fort Pitt tunnel out you can get away from the city and find yourself in the boroughs/townships of the area. I love being there than in the city itself.

There is a local joint in my old township that makes better Primanti Bros sandwiches.

blknpurplepainc
03-24-2013, 05:13 PM
The Steelers-Ravens rivalry is going to be better than the Bengals-Steelers rivalry no matter how bad the Steelers or Ravens are this season. But, I see your way of thinking, a Good Bengals team is better than seeing the Mediocre Steelers vs the Superbowl winner Ravens.

Fixed that for you

harrison'samonster
03-24-2013, 05:15 PM
Fixed that for you

black and purple pansy?

sloppyjoe
03-24-2013, 05:53 PM
try to go to a game where the steelers have a chance to win. it makes a huge difference in your experience. this year find a game against a bottom feeder and hope for the best

zcoop
03-24-2013, 06:24 PM
Yeah I'm also into a small town, I think Pittsburgh has that feel too even for a city.

But if you take the Fort Pitt tunnel out you can get away from the city and find yourself in the boroughs/townships of the area. I love being there than in the city itself.

There is a local joint in my old township that makes better Primanti Bros sandwiches.

I am originally from a small town in SC, not far from where John Abraham, Levon Kirkland and Lawrence Timmons are from. I've been in the Atlanta area for about 29 years but like to go home to visit and get away from the big city.

I've been to Pitt a few times during the winter and it is cold as shit to me.

desertsteel
03-24-2013, 07:06 PM
The ravens suck

Fixed that for you.

Fire Arians
03-24-2013, 07:17 PM
I'm going to the ravens game and plan to use very nasty language at tha game

6RINGS
03-25-2013, 05:06 AM
I'm going to the ravens game and plan to use very nasty language at tha game

That's ok just have respect for any kids around you.

wwhickok
03-25-2013, 06:44 AM
Biggest piece of advice is, if you go to a late Nov, December game DO NOT underestimate the cold in Heinz field. The stadium is a big wind tunnel, the higher you are the colder it is, the whole "hot air rises" doesn't apply to winter in Heinz field and the wind truly does swirl. Dress wisely, thicker isn't necessarily better. Warmer is, less cotton more wool and/or Underarmor weather gear.

Last season was my first game ever. I was super excited and had a great time. But I underestimated the cold and learned a lot from it. Really the only thing that got cold was my feet. I didn't pack enough foot warmers. Also, parking at a Free lot and travelling via the T is a great way to go. Makes for a quicker exit out of the stadium area actually and you can still get there really early.

Grill 36 has AMAZING FOOD.

hammy36
03-25-2013, 04:44 PM
It's been years since I've been to a game at Pittsburgh (from Kansas). I did get to see Three Rivers in its last year and then went the next year to Heinz. Then life happened. Anyway, one small thing that made it memorable for me (aside from the game) was taking the ferry over the river to the stadium. Tons of fans on board with their towels and everyone getting amped for the game made it a fun little ride.

Primanti's is a must and Mount Washington was definitely cool too. The second time I went, we were actually there for the lighting of the city for Christmas. That was an awesome night...just something to consider as a posibility when selecting your game.

kent
03-25-2013, 07:31 PM
try to go to a game where the steelers have a chance to win. it makes a huge difference in your experience. this year find a game against a bottom feeder and hope for the best

I disagree. I personally love going to the big games, for me it just makes it more exciting. Nothings better than the late game drama and going crazy to renegade when the d needs a big stop.

Fire Arians
03-26-2013, 12:00 AM

hah right, because we did particularly well against bottom feeders? i'd rather see a game where we lose in a hard fought battle, rather than barely win or lose against a team we SHOULD destroy. this has been a problem since tomlin arrived. although i like the guy and think he's a good coach, he needs to learn how to get the team ready to play against lesser comp

Galax Steeler
03-26-2013, 03:20 AM
It's been years since I've been to a game at Pittsburgh (from Kansas). I did get to see Three Rivers in its last year and then went the next year to Heinz. Then life happened. Anyway, one small thing that made it memorable for me (aside from the game) was taking the ferry over the river to the stadium. Tons of fans on board with their towels and everyone getting amped for the game made it a fun little ride.

Primanti's is a must and Mount Washington was definitely cool too. The second time I went, we were actually there for the lighting of the city for Christmas. That was an awesome night...just something to consider as a posibility when selecting your game.

This

Steeler7BR
03-26-2013, 09:39 AM

You know this forum is for steeler fans, do you? You hate on everything with a logic of a 5 year old, why don't you just shut up and tell somebody who cares?

harrison'samonster
03-26-2013, 09:47 AM
You know this forum is for steeler fans, do you? You hate on everything with a logic of a 5 year old, why don't you just shut up and tell somebody who cares?

sloppy joe's a troll.

SteelCityMom
03-26-2013, 10:11 AM
Sorry you had a bad experience 6RINGS. I lived in a township north of Pittsburgh for 10 years and just went back to the Burgh of Pitts last year.

Screw Primanti Bros, you gotta go to the Dirty "O" in Oakland.

^^This a hundred times over. Primanti's is cool, and if it's your first time in the 'burgh, then you definitely have to go (and it HAS to be the one in the Strip District)....but there are few things in this world that are better than the O. My mouth is watering just thinking of the fries.

Pittsburgh isn't for everyone, and I can only imagine how hard it would be to get a cab here (I've actually never paid attention to that, but I know there aren't a lot of cabs around). And it is more of a quiet city, especially if you're towing family along. There's always events and stuff going on though...you just have to search them out. The City Paper always has some good suggestions. http://www.pghcitypaper.com/

and also http://www.visitpittsburgh.com/

Have fun and enjoy the game!

Blacksburg Zach
03-26-2013, 03:06 PM

You mean there are games that the Steelers have absolutely no chance of winning? Well if that's the case, then the Steelers better call opponents of those games and tell them they forfeit. After all, there is no point in playing the game if the Steelers don't have a chance of winning anyway.

sloppyjoe
03-26-2013, 07:08 PM

yet you respond....5 year old's mentality, i assume:rofl:

blkngld4ever
03-26-2013, 09:12 PM
Im from Idaho and going to the game was the best vacation I ever had. Loved the city but the thing I found most bizzare was I went into a grocery store to pick up some beer for the hotel around 9:30 walked around forever looking for it and finally asked wheres your beer isle? they looked at me like I was retarded. then I was told I had to go to beer world tomorrow. so I walk in and pick up a six pack take it to pay and they said nope state law says half case minimum.

Blackout
03-26-2013, 10:48 PM
^^This a hundred times over. Primanti's is cool, and if it's your first time in the 'burgh, then you definitely have to go (and it HAS to be the one in the Strip District)....but there are few things in this world that are better than the O. My mouth is watering just thinking of the fries.
Have some fries for me SCMom. Best fries ever!

I'm stuck in Colorado at the moment.:mad:

Galax Steeler
03-27-2013, 03:24 AM
Im from Idaho and going to the game was the best vacation I ever had. Loved the city but the thing I found most bizzare was I went into a grocery store to pick up some beer for the hotel around 9:30 walked around forever looking for it and finally asked wheres your beer isle? they looked at me like I was retarded. then I was told I had to go to beer world tomorrow. so I walk in and pick up a six pack take it to pay and they said nope state law says half case minimum.

Ha Ha that is funny yea they have what they call package stores you have to go to. I went up last year and went to one and told them to give me a 30 pack and a big bag of ice. What I didn't know was the bag of ice was 30 pounds I have never seen a bag of ice like that before.:chuckle:

SteelCityMom
03-27-2013, 05:27 PM

Yeah, PA sucks like that. I didn't know there was a half case minimum though lol. That's funny because you're not allowed to go into a bar and carry out more than 2 six packs. You can buy more than that, but you have to carry them out separately.

There are a few Giant Eagles now that sell beer (it's technically in their restaurant area), but the prices are ridiculous. A 12 pack of Yuengling there costs $12+tax, whereas a case from the beer store (yeah, that's what I call it lol) is $20. They have a nice microbrewery section though...but it's nothing out of this world. This is the very reason I laugh at people who think PA has an honest shot of legalizing medical marijuana though anytime in the foreseeable future. We can't even get beer in gas stations like normal adults yet. :chuckle:

In PA, you have to plan ahead if you want to get drunk on the cheap lol.

steelfury02
03-27-2013, 06:01 PM
that's why when you go to Heinz with a large group - you need to make your own brew and own a keg - that way, all the brew you want anywhere, anytime, better brew, for cheap! - just need a plastic bin with ice to set your keg in (or party ball!)