PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Steelers NFL Draft Prospect Meetings

Hawaii 5-0
03-23-2013, 01:36 PM
this is the list of players we have shown enough interest in so far to actually meet with them:

2013 NFL Draft Prospect Meetings: Sorted by Team

By Walter Cherepinsky - @walterfootball
March 23, 2013

This is a compilation of draft prospect meetings sorted by team. The data was acquired via Charlie Campbell (@draftcampbell) and other media sources.

Pittsburgh Steelers: http://www.walterfootball.com/images/fball/steelersb_logo.gif

Ezekiel Ansah, DL, BYU (COM)
Montee Ball, RB, Wisconsin (COM)
Le'Veon Bell, RB, Michigan State (PRI)
Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee (PRO)
Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State (PRI)
Marvin Burdette, ILB, UAB (VINT)
Anthony Capasso, WR, Ashland (PRO)
Jonathan Cooper, G, North Carolina (COM)
Jordan Hill, DL, Penn State (COM)
Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma (COM)
Landry Jones, QB, Oklahoma (PRO)
Michael Mauti, LB, Penn State (COM)
Ryan Griffin, QB, Tulane (PRI)
Dion Sims, TE, Steelers (PRI)
Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia (COM)
Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas (COM)
Robert Woods, WR, USC (COM)

SR - Senior Bowl meeting.
EW - East-West Shrine meeting.
COM - Combine meeting.
INT - Interested.
VINT - Very Interested.
PRO - Pro Day meeting.
PRI - Private Workout.
% - indicates more than one meeting.
# - indicates meeting set up outside of the 2013 Senior Bowl or the 2013 East-West Shrine Game

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2013meetingsteams.php

pete74
03-23-2013, 01:40 PM
I would love to get Ansah but I suspect he will be long gone by 17. He is probably my favorite player from the beginning and I used to think we had a shot at him until the last month when every mock draft switched him from the end of the first to top 10

WokeUpWithaWoodley
03-23-2013, 01:56 PM
Out of that list I would take vaccaro, woods, then bell:tt04:

Fire Haley
03-23-2013, 02:23 PM
what? only 1 WR?

no Tavon Austin?

Justp94
03-23-2013, 08:51 PM
what? only 1 WR?

no Tavon Austin?

They know that we don't need another small, speedy receiver.... and the Steelers will probably have more meetings in the future.

BKAnthem
03-24-2013, 10:56 PM
I hope we take Vaccaro or Elam round 1

desertsteel
03-24-2013, 11:07 PM
They know that we don't need another small, speedy receiver.... and the Steelers will probably have more meetings in the future.

I really don't think that good talent evaluators see things that way.

MasterOfPuppets
03-25-2013, 12:50 AM
what? only 1 WR?

no Tavon Austin?
maybe they thought geno smith was austin....why else would they bother to talk to smith ? :noidea:

Hawaii 5-0
03-25-2013, 01:15 AM
maybe they thought geno smith was austin....why else would they bother to talk to smith ? :noidea:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-MZysUIhFOqE/UKFEA9DqSGI/AAAAAAAAIyg/4QcW5KWZYjY/s400/9Ou3P.png

casteeler
03-25-2013, 09:33 PM
Landry Jones would make an exellent #2/ in development QB. How quickly everyone forgets the rapid nosedive this team takes when Ben is injured and Jones has experiance playing in Big games in the SEC.

Hawaii 5-0
03-26-2013, 03:01 PM
Steelers Brass Making Rounds At Pro Days In The State Of Ohio

Mar 25th, 2013 by Dominic Di Tolla

Some of Pittsburgh’s brass were in attendance for two Pro Days in the state of Ohio over the past week: one for former Ohio State defensive end John Simon, and the other for N.F.L.-hopefuls at Miami University (OH).

Simon, who sustained a shoulder injury and was unable to perform at The Combine or at the Buckeyes’ Pro Day earlier this Spring, finally got a chance to strut his stuff today in front of N.F.L. personnel. According to NFL.com’s Gil Brandt, Steeler G.M. Kevin Colbert was there to check out the prospect.

A three-year starter with the Buckeyes (37 games), Simon was one of the defense’s most effective players during his junior and senior campaigns. Back in 2011, Simon registered 53 tackles, 16.0 tackles for loss, and 7.0 sacks. This past year, the defensive end set a career high for sacks during a regular season with 9.0, and filled out the rest of his statline with 45 tackles and 14.5 tackles for loss.

Like most of the outside linebacker prospects the Steelers have targeted over the years, Simon was a defensive end during his collegiate career. Because of the fact that he was a down-lineman, the former Buckeye did not gain an excessive amount of experience as a stand-up outside linebacker, nor did he have to play very often in space.

As a pass-rusher, Simon’s athleticism, agility, and explosiveness were “average at best” in the games I watched him play (example) and the spin move he employed was slow and rarely effective against Penn State. Due to his lack of fluidity as an athlete, I for one have my doubts as to whether or not he can stick and stay with running backs and tight ends in pass-coverage. Furthermore, Simon must also prove that he is strong enough to engage and shed blocks from N.F.L.-sized offensive tackles too.

To his credit though, Simon did his best to silence critics about his speed and agility, and had a terrific workout session. He measured in at 6’1″ 257 lbs., clocked in with 40 yard dash times in the 4.62-4.7 range, recorded an impressive vertical jump of 34″, and posted a solid short shuttle time of 4.42 seconds.

I personally believe that the Steelers should not worry too much about acquiring the former Buckeye on Day 2 of the Draft, especially because there should be far more athletic pass-rushers available at that time like Corey Lemonier, Jamie Collins, and Brandon Jenkins. But if Simon is available in Round 4 or early on Day 3 of the Draft, and Pittsburgh has yet to take a pass-rushing prospect, he might be a worthy investment at that point in the draft process.

According to Gil Brandt of NFL.com, Pittsburgh’s quarterback coach Randy Fichtner was at Miami’s Pro Day last Thursday to scout the Redhawks’ former signal-caller, Zac Dysert (6’3″ 227 lbs.).

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/58/files/2013/03/6973200-300x199.jpg

A four-year starter with the Redhawks, Dysert broke or came close to breaking most of Ben Roethlisberger’s records at the school, and has the tools to be a solid developmental Quarterback. During his collegiate career, Zac started 45 games, and set career highs in completions (302), attempts (480), and touchdown passes (25) last season to go along with 3,483 passing yards and a 62.9% completion rate.

While I agree with Brandt that Dysert is not ready to be a starter at the professional level at this point in his career, there is a lot to like about the young prospect. As I alluded to before, Zac is an experienced player (45 starts), a tough guy, possesses the ability to make plays and escape trouble (not as well as Big Ben though), and has more than enough arm strength to make every thrown on the field. In fact, Brandt said that Dysert completed 54 of his 64 pass attempts at his Pro Day which was held in 25 degree weather with the wind blowing up to 10 miles per hour.

I for one would like to see the Steelers draft “Roethlisberger Lite” as NFL.com referred to him as in the heading of the post. As a Rookie and even a second year player, Dysert will have the luxury to sit behind Big Ben and Bruce Gradkowski/Charlie Batch while he fine tunes his game and learns the offense. Pittsburgh must have some sort of viable “transition strategy” in place at quarterback before Big Ben finally calls it quits. Thus, I am sure that the franchise has their eye on a number of developmental signal-callers like Dysert (and Tyler Bray) in this year’s draft class.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2013/03/25/steelers-brass-making-rounds-at-pro-days-in-the-state-of-ohio/

Hawaii 5-0
04-01-2013, 02:04 PM
Former Penn State LB Michael Mauti: Steelers Are On My List

March 31, 2013

http://cbspittsburgh.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/mauti.jpg?w=300

PITTSBURGH (93-7 The Fan) – Former Penn State LB Michael Mauti is getting ready for the 2013 NFL Draft, and he updates his progress with Troy Clardy on Sportsradio 93.7 The Fan.

These have been busy days for Mauti.

“I’ve been in a different city every weekend for the last five or six weekends,” he said. “It’s been hectic, but you only go through this process once. I’m just trying to enjoy it. My main focus has just been rehabbing and getting my leg right after that surgery. It’s been going well. I’m ahead of schedule right now. I went to the Combine and did that process, and now I’m visiting with some teams.”

One of the teams Mauti will be visiting just happens to be the Pittsburgh Steelers.

“I think I would look great in a Pittsburgh Steelers uniform,” Mauti said with a laugh. “Why don’t you call them and tell them to come get me?”

He also looks back at his career at Penn State, how he emerged as one of the team’s leaders during the scandal that rocked the team, and how the Nittany Lions were able to go 8-4 despite the difficult circumstances.

“Everybody was telling us in the beginning of the season that we weren’t going to win one game, three games,” Mauti said. “It’s not like we forgot how to play football. We still had a pretty good team sitting there. It was just an unbelievable season. We didn’t have a trophy, so we just came out for the love of the game and for each other. It was really special.”

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2013/03/31/former-penn-state-lb-michael-mauti-steelers-are-on-my-list/

austinfrench76
04-01-2013, 03:31 PM
I don't see how we ignore Safety in Round 1 now. We have Clark, Troy and Golden. And, probably some futures contract guy. Elam>=Vaccaro in my opinion.

Rabbit
04-02-2013, 11:23 AM
Georgia OLB Jarvis Jones is visiting the Pittsburgh Steelers.
The Steelers certainly need a pass rusher to fill in for the departed James Harrison, and Jones was an ultra productive college player with a experience as a stand up linebacker. Each team will have their own medicals on Jones, but beyond that he might lack the frame and athleticism to develop into more than a motor rusher with leverage.

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib/statuses/319113729260257280

kan_t
04-02-2013, 11:54 AM
Georgia OLB Jarvis Jones is visiting the Pittsburgh Steelers.
The Steelers certainly need a pass rusher to fill in for the departed James Harrison, and Jones was an ultra productive college player with a experience as a stand up linebacker. Each team will have their own medicals on Jones, but beyond that he might lack the frame and athleticism to develop into more than a motor rusher with leverage.

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib/statuses/319113729260257280
I'm excited. Always a Jones fan.

ebsteelers
04-02-2013, 12:19 PM
Round 1 Jones OLB
Round 2 Elam Safety where exactly is he suppose to go? rambo could be another option
Round 3 Bell RB
Round 4 Best TE
Round 5 Best WR

Now were cooking with peanut oil

if jones or patterson arent there in round 1 id be looking to move back and pick up addtional picks.

maybe we move from 17 to 23 or 24 and get varccao and extra picks.

SteelersCanada
04-02-2013, 12:29 PM
maybe we move from 17 to 23 or 24 and get varccao and extra picks.

I have my doubts that Vaccaro will be there at 17 with the Saints picking at 15, let alone him lasting until 24.

Rabbit
04-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Yeah, I think the Rams are going to screw us over in one way or another, whether it's Vaccaro or a wide receiver. Both those positions are huge needs for St. Louis.

Steel_Bus_24
04-02-2013, 12:36 PM
Please let Vaccaro be there.....

I will let out a groan if we take jones or mingo......The OLBs in our D can't be dancing around blockers...their tape is enough for me to get worried about them...but the work ethic red flags..turn this into a "hell no" for me

Rabbit
04-02-2013, 12:40 PM
I've never seen Jones "dancing" around blockers. He may have some questions about his neck and his practice habits, but when it comes to being on the field, the guy is a dominant force, period. And he only gets better when the lights are brighter.

ebsteelers
04-02-2013, 12:43 PM
I have my doubts that Vaccaro will be there at 17 with the Saints picking at 15, let alone him lasting until 24.

yeah the draft is always a funny thing though with some players falling further then usual and players going higher.

i'll be happy with jones, vaccaro, or patterson doesnt matter to me... just need a play maker in round 1.

i will continue to say having decastro for a full year is like another number 1 pick in my eyes.

what about elam? will he be around in round 2? my guess is no

Rabbit
04-02-2013, 12:45 PM
I severely doubt Elam gets out of the first round.

SteelersCanada
04-02-2013, 12:51 PM
what about elam? will he be around in round 2? my guess is no

Whether or not we get Elam should be decided in the end of the first round. If the 49ers take Eric Reid at the end of the first round and leave Cyprien on the board, the Bengals should take Jonathan over Elam. However, it he Patriots (fuckers) take Reid, it would force the 49ers' hand to take Cyprien and ultimately would let the Bengals take Elam.

After the Bengals (who I have my doubts on taking a Safety in the second round anyway) the teams in between them and us have bigger needs than their secondary. This is where I think a lot of Quarterbacks and receivers will be taken, leaving us to take Elam. But, again, this rests on the end of the first round. If Reid is there for the 49ers to take and Cyprien is on the board for the Bengals, then Elam should fall to us at 48.

Rabbit
04-02-2013, 12:53 PM
I don't think the Patriots are going safety in the early rounds. Devin McCourty played well at free safety after making the transition there last year and they just drafted Tavon Wilson to play strong safety in the second round last year.

Rabbit
04-02-2013, 12:55 PM
More players we've met with added to the list:

Jamie Collins, OLB, Southern Mississippi
Khaseem Greene, OLB, Rutgers
Jonathan Meeks, S, Clemson
Phillip Thomas, S, Fresno State

https://twitter.com/BobLabriola/statuses/319136171554922496

Huge fan of Khaseem Greene's game, but I'm not sure if he'd fit as an inside linebacker in our 3-4. He seems like a Will in a 4-3 to me. Then again, they said the same thing about Sean Spence last season. He's one of my personal favorite prospects in this year's draft, he has great sideline to sideline range and can stick with tight ends and running backs very well. Fluid, fast, attacks downhill and has pretty good instincts. Former safety.

Also, Phillip Thomas was arguably the best defensive back in college last season but for some reason got beat out by Johnthan Banks who had an inferior season, imo. Definitely an intriguing potential fit in the second round, as well as Jamie Collins.

teegre
04-02-2013, 01:08 PM
Yeah, I think the Rams are going to screw us over in one way or another, whether it's Vaccaro or a wide receiver. Both those positions are huge needs for St. Louis.

Yep.
They are going to take Vaccaro or Elam at 16. And, the worst-case (for screwing me over) would be Austin at 16 and then Elam at 22.

Yep.
He's going to go 15 or 16.

I severely doubt Elam gets out of the first round.

That's my fear. I really do not see him getting past the 49ers and Ravens... and then, if he does, I think that the Bengals snag him at 36.

Round 1 Jones OLB
Round 2 Elam Safety where exactly is he suppose to go? rambo could be another option
Round 3 Bell RB
Round 4 Best TE
Round 5 Best WR

That's my ideal draft.

Jones (or Brown), Elam, Bell, Escobar, some WR.

ebsteelers
04-02-2013, 02:10 PM
Yep.
They are going to take Vaccaro or Elam at 16. And, the worst-case (for screwing me over) would be Austin at 16 and then Elam at 22.

Yep.
He's going to go 15 or 16.

That's my fear. I really do not see him getting past the 49ers and Ravens... and then, if he does, I think that the Bengals snag him at 36.

That's my ideal draft.

Jones (or Brown), Elam, Bell, Escobar, some WR.

brown who?
having brain gas right now

Rabbit
04-02-2013, 02:13 PM
Arthur Brown.

ebsteelers
04-02-2013, 02:17 PM
Arthur Brown.

yeah after i wrote it i remembered

i guess that would be a trade down scenario

i feel like i'd rather the olb or safety early and get our wide outs later but I excited at the idea of getting some young playermakers here

seems like the mocks have arthur brown all over the place

TheVet
04-02-2013, 03:34 PM
It's a wonderful thing to be rebuilding! We're in a position to take the best available player in every round, since we have needs almost everywhere.

TheVet
04-02-2013, 03:35 PM
:doh::doh:
Double post ...

Rabbit
04-02-2013, 03:38 PM
It's a wonderful thing to be rebuilding! We're in a position to take the best available player in every round, since we have needs almost everywhere.

I would put us more in the 'reloading' camp than 'rebuilding'. We still have plenty of pieces, especially on offense. Rebuilding teams don't miss the playoffs by a game because their franchise QB was injured.

EDIT: by the way, no matter what state your team is in, the strategy should always be to draft BPA unless it's at a position where you already have a quality starter and don't need depth.

teegre
04-02-2013, 03:53 PM
I would put us more in the 'reloading' camp than 'rebuilding'. We still have plenty of pieces, especially on offense. Rebuilding teams don't miss the playoffs by a game because their franchise QB was injured.

EDIT: by the way, no matter what state your team is in, the strategy should always be to draft BPA unless it's at a position where you already have a quality starter and don't need depth.

Once again, I concur.

As long as BB is on the roster, it's not a rebuilding year.

Denny Green was of the philosophy of always drafting the BPA. He took Randy Moss, when he already had Chris Carter & Jake Reed. When asked how he'd deal with the problem of getting the ball to all three, Denny replied, "It's a good problem to have."

In other words, unless you have a franchise QB, almost every other position can warrant drafting an "extra" player at that position. For example, let's say a team had two great OLBs, but the BPA was an OLB... I'd still draft that OLB, and rotate the three of them. Or, worst case: one of them plays ILB (a la Timmons... or Farrior... or Chad Brown).

Competition breeds success.

SteelersCanada
04-02-2013, 04:11 PM

Except offensive line which is probably the definition of irony because of the issues we've had there the last couple of years.

Hawaii 5-0
04-02-2013, 06:04 PM
More visitors for the Steelers

April 2, 2013

The Steelers hosted another group of rookies today, while also having a veteran guard in for a visit.

The rookies included trio of linebackers - Jarvis Jones, Jamie Collins and Khaseem Greene - and a pair of safeties - Jonathn Meeks and Phillip Thomas.

The veteran guard was former Houston part-time starter Antoine Caldwell.

Jones is the lone potential first-round pick of the bunch, though I've seen some mocks with Greene sneaking into the first round.

Jones has a neck issue that the Steelers will want to check out for themselves, so this was likely a fact-finding issue. He is a first-round consideration for the Steelers.

Collins is a 6-4, 250-pound outside linebacker from Southern Mississippi. He ran a very quick 4.64 40, did 19 reps of 225 on the bench press and showed off his explosiveness with a 41 1/2 inch vertical at his workouts.

He spent a lot of time in opponent's backfields in the past two seasons, recording 39.5 tackles for a loss and 16.5 sacks. He is said to be lacking in instincts, which is why he's more of a second-to-third round prospect.

Greene is a player many in Pittsburgh are familiar with since the former Rutgers star is the brother of Pitt running back Ray Graham. At 6-1, 241, he's not as big as Collins, but has a better motor and instincts.

Greene also runs in the 4.6 range, which is what you'd expect for a former safety. But he also excels in forcing turnovers. He recorded 125 tackles, 5.5 sacks and forced six fumbles in 2012. In Pittsburgh's defense, he would likely be an inside linebacker and would be a second-round possibility.

Thomas is a playmaking free safety who recorded 13 interceptions and six forced fumbles at Fresno State. And at 6-1, 208, he looks like an NFL safety. He did, however, have a knee injury in 2011 that cost him the entire season.

Meeks is a 6-1, 205-pound safety from Clemson who is more of a late-round prospect. He did, however, run a 4.55 40.

As for Caldwell, he appeared in 39 games for the Texans in four seasons, making 19 starts. The former Alabama star can play both guard and center, making him a viable backup option as the swing player on game days.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=SPORTS0602

Steelstoned1972
04-02-2013, 06:09 PM
Very true . I could really see them grabbing bpa in every round. Depending on who falls , I could see Oline again. If Warmack, Cooper, Johnson, Watson is their highest rated player.Te-Effert , wr-Patterson,Austin, Allen . Lb Ansah,Jones, Mingo, etc. Dline- Star loutele , Sheldon Richardson.....Db -Vacarro, Elam, Rhodes. Who knows who our pick will be. I'm excited about the possibilities though! Cheers all ! \m/

Hawaii 5-0
04-02-2013, 06:28 PM
@ Today was the first day for pre-draft visits and the Steelers had three guys in: Texas A&M running back Christine Michael, Ohio State linebacker John Simon and Florida State linebacker Vince Williams.

Michael is considered a third-round prospect. He had some injuries in college and issues with the coaching staff at Texas A&M, but is a talented runner. The Steelers are likely trying to get to know him as well as possible - while also allowing their doctors to check him out.

Simon had a better junior season than senior year thanks to a shoulder injury that required surgery. But at 6-1, 257, he's what the Steelers look for in their outside linebackers. And considering the Buckeyes run a similar defensive system to what the Steelers employ, the transition isn't as difficult for Ohio State players.

Williams, 6-1, 235, is a little undersized, but that seems to be what the Steelers are looking for in their inside linebackers now - smaller guys who can cover in space.

He and Simon are both considered mid-round prospects.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2013/04/no-movement-right-now-for-bradshaw.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2FpROmMH+%28NFL+from +the+sidelines%29

SteelersCanada
04-02-2013, 06:57 PM
Williams, 6-1, 235, is a little undersized, but that seems to be what the Steelers are looking for in their inside linebackers now - smaller guys who can cover in space.

Woah, that's a little eye opening. I read earlier that he was 6'1 250.

http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/williams_vince00.html

Even if you split the difference, that's still a pretty significant gap.

teegre
04-02-2013, 06:58 PM
Woah, that's a little eye opening. I read earlier that he was 6'1 250.

http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/williams_vince00.html

Even if you split the difference, that's still a pretty significant gap.

235... 250 with afro.

SteelersCanada
04-02-2013, 07:05 PM
235... 250 with afro.

:chuckle:

Hawaii 5-0
04-03-2013, 12:56 AM
the Steelers have also shown a lot of interest in Ryan Griffin...

Former Tulane quarterback Ryan Griffin excited about his private workout with the San Diego Chargers

By Tammy Nunez, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
on April 02, 2013 at 8:14 PM, updated April 02, 2013

http://media.nola.com/tulane_impact/photo/11619902-large.jpg

Former Tulane quarterback Ryan Griffin impressed another round of NFL executives Tuesday when he excelled in a private workout with the San Diego Chargers.

Griffin met with the franchise's brass along with Coach Mike McCoy, offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, and quarterbacks coach Mike Reich. He had dinner with the team's personnel Monday and then worked out Tuesday.

"It was overall a really good trip," Griffin said. "I have a draft-able grade, which is a good thing. I got some good positive feedback from their quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator."

Reich said Griffin reminded him of another successful NFL passer.

"The quarterbacks coach said I reminded him a lot of himself, which is also a really good compliment," Griffin said.

Reich was a third-round pick of the Bills in 1985 out of Maryland. Reich played 14 NFL seasons, including 10 with Buffalo (1985-94), one with Carolina (1995), one with the New York Jets (1996), and two with Detroit (1997-98). He retired in 1998.

Griffin has worked out privately for the New Orleans Saints, the Philadelphia Eagles and now the Chargers along with starring at Tulane's pro day last week.

The NFL draft is April 25-27.

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/2013/04/former_tulane_quarterback_ryan_3.html

Hawaii 5-0
04-04-2013, 08:15 PM
What we've seen thus far

By the end of Thursday, the Steelers this week will have had at least 12 of their rookie visitors in for meetings. UCLA running back Jonathan Franklin and Nevada safety Duke Williams will be in on Thursday.

That will mean that the Steelers will have had seven linebackers - John Simon, Vince Williams, Jarvis Jones, Jamie Collins, Khaseem Greene, Michael Mauti and Malliciah Goodman

- three safeties - Williams, Jonathan Meeks and Phillip Thomas - and two running backs - Franklin and Christine Michael - in for visits.

What can we read into that?

Judging from who and the number of linebackers they have brought in, the Steelers aren't going to be looking linebacker in the first round.

Sure, Jones is considered a first-round prospect, but it's likely the Steelers were kicking his tires and having team doctors check out his spinal stenosis issue. The other six guys are all expected to be second round picks or lower.

Michael and Franklin are both considered second or third-round prospects at running back, a position at which there might not be a first-round selection this season unless somebody falls in love with Eddy Lacy.

And the three safeties are all mid-round guys.

What's missing from the players the Steelers have brought in thus far? Wide receivers.

The Steelers have a need at that position and there is a good crop available this year. But none have walked through the doors at the Steelers' offices at this point.

The team can have as many as 30 visitors, and for all we know, their next 20 visitors could all be wideouts. But at this point, if I were a betting man, I'd guess they're looking at taking a wideout in the first round.

The Steelers hosted another group of rookies today, while also having a veteran guard in for a visit.

The rookies included trio of linebackers - Jarvis Jones, Jamie Collins and Khaseem Greene - and a pair of safeties - Jonathn Meeks and Phillip Thomas.

The veteran guard was former Houston part-time starter Antoine Caldwell.

Jones is the lone potential first-round pick of the bunch, though I've seen some mocks with Greene sneaking into the first round.

Jones has a neck issue that the Steelers will want to check out for themselves, so this was likely a fact-finding issue. He is a first-round consideration for the Steelers.

Collins is a 6-4, 250-pound outside linebacker from Southern Mississippi. He ran a very quick 4.64 40, did 19 reps of 225 on the bench press and showed off his explosiveness with a 41 1/2 inch vertical at his workouts.

He spent a lot of time in opponent's backfields in the past two seasons, recording 39.5 tackles for a loss and 16.5 sacks. He is said to be lacking in instincts, which is why he's more of a second-to-third round prospect.

Greene is a player many in Pittsburgh are familiar with since the former Rutgers star is the brother of Pitt running back Ray Graham. At 6-1, 241, he's not as big as Collins, but has a better motor and instincts.

Greene also runs in the 4.6 range, which is what you'd expect for a former safety. But he also excels in forcing turnovers. He recorded 125 tackles, 5.5 sacks and forced six fumbles in 2012. In Pittsburgh's defense, he would likely be an inside linebacker and would be a second-round possibility.

Thomas is a playmaking free safety who recorded 13 interceptions and six forced fumbles at Fresno State. And at 6-1, 208, he looks like an NFL safety. He did, however, have a knee injury in 2011 that cost him the entire season.

Meeks is a 6-1, 205-pound safety from Clemson who is more of a late-round prospect. He did, however, run a 4.55 40.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=SPORTS0602

Hawaii 5-0
04-07-2013, 06:22 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers:

Josh Boyce, WR, TCU (PRI)
Jamie Collins, LB, Southern Miss (PRI)
Johnathan Franklin, RB, UCLA (PRI)
Malliciah Goodman, DL, Clemson (PRI)
Khaseem Greene, LB, Rutgers (PRI)
Jarvis Jones, LB, Georgia (PRI)
Michael Mauti%, LB, Penn State (PRO) (COM)
Jonathan Meeks, DB, Clemson (PRI)
Christine Michael, RB, Texas A&M (PRI)
Keavon Milton, TE, Louisiana-Monroe (PRI)
Alex Okafor, DL, Texas (PRO)
Phillip Thomas, S, Fresno State (PRI)
Duke Williams, DB, Nevada (PRI)

WokeUpWithaWoodley
04-07-2013, 06:42 PM
I thought they were allowed to bring 30 players into there facility for a visit and that the combine interviews don't count. Also that local schools didn't count against the 30.

Goldsteel86
04-07-2013, 07:10 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Simon drafted, Jones would be awsome with the #1 but if that is the case I also hope the Steelers address their RB, WR and DB needs.

Rabbit
04-08-2013, 02:46 PM
Syracuse safety Shamarko Thomas and Utah State corner Will Davis visited today.

ebsteelers
04-08-2013, 03:03 PM
:banging::banging::banging::banging::banging::bang ing::banging:Steelers have now visited with 29 of the 30 allowable players they are allowed to:

Pittsburgh Steelers:

Josh Boyce, WR, TCU (PRI)
Jamie Collins, LB, Southern Miss (PRI)
Johnathan Franklin, RB, UCLA (PRI)
Malliciah Goodman, DL, Clemson (PRI)
Khaseem Greene, LB, Rutgers (PRI)
Jarvis Jones, LB, Georgia (PRI)
Michael Mauti%, LB, Penn State (PRO) (COM)
Jonathan Meeks, DB, Clemson (PRI)
Christine Michael, RB, Texas A&M (PRI)
Keavon Milton, TE, Louisiana-Monroe (PRI)
Alex Okafor, DL, Texas (PRO)
Phillip Thomas, S, Fresno State (PRI)
Duke Williams, DB, Nevada (PRI)

With the 17th pick in the 2013 NFL Draft the Pittsburgh Steelers Selected Geno Smith Quarterback from West Virginia.:banging::banging::banging::banging:

Hawaii 5-0
04-08-2013, 03:55 PM
:banging::banging::banging::banging::banging::bang ing::banging:

With the 17th pick in the 2013 NFL Draft the Pittsburgh Steelers Selected Geno Smith Quarterback from West Virginia.:banging::banging::banging::banging:

I think it's more likely the Steelers visited with Geno Smith to talk with him about WRs Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey.

Steel_Bus_24
04-08-2013, 04:17 PM
I think it's more likely the Steelers visited with Geno Smith to talk with him about WRs Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey.

could be....Geno was teammates with Stedman back in High School as well as college

teegre
04-08-2013, 04:31 PM

Plus, posturing.

If Smith is there at 17, and the Steelers have shown interest, it forces teams to trade up with the Steelers, in order to get him.

I would not mind trading back to 33, and acquiring their R3 this year & their R1 next year... because, the Jaguars likely going to have a top ten pick next year.

Hawaii 5-0
04-08-2013, 05:03 PM
Three More Pre-Draft Visitors for the Pittsburgh Steelers: Syracuse SS Shamarko Thomas, Utah State CB Will Davis and San Diego State OT Nic Embernate

by Steelblitz

The Pittsburgh Steelers have picked back up with their pre-draft visits today after taking a couple of days off. The Steelers are also diverging slightly from their current pattern adding two new positions to the draft visits with a corner and offensive tackle. Prior to visiting with safety Shamarko Thomas, corner Will Davis and offensive tackle Nic Embernate the Steelers had only met with linebackers, safeties along with two running backs and one wide receiver.

Thomas increases the number of safeties the Steelers have met with to four proving that they are definitely looking to add at least one young safety in this years draft. However, the four safeties the Steelers have met with are at highest expected to go in the third round. Perhaps they are taking a look at players that will be available later in the draft to decide whether or not they should target a player in the first round of the draft as a potential replacement for Troy Polamalu or Ryan Clark.

Thomas is yet another tough safety who can play closer to the line like Polamalu. He is the prototypical strong safety and at times plays more like a linebacker. During his college career he was used a lot near the line of scrimmage and is a very good tackler in the run game and a strong edge rusher as he uses his speed to get to the quarterback. Thomas also has the speed to cover a lot of ground in the passing game, but he can be too aggressive at times. His biggest weakness at this point is his height. At only 5’9″ he lacks the height to cover taller tight ends which could make him a liability in the new age NFL. NFL.com compares Thomas to St. Louis Rams safety Quintin Mikell.

Will Davis doesn’t have a ton of football experience and for that reason he may be a bit of project in the NFL. He does have good size for the position, but he should look to add some more weight and strength as he develops. Like Thomas above Davis is overaggressive on the field and can get beat by double moves and play action. One of the biggest issues with Davis is that he is a 4.5 runner so he is susceptible to being beat by fast receivers and lacks the speed to make up for mistakes.

Nic Embernate was a four year starter for San Diego State and was named first team All-Mountain West Conference in 2012. He also helped the Aztecs to their highest rushing total in school history with 2,750 yards which ranked 16th in the country. He has good size at 6’4″ and 304 pounds and is expected to be a guard in the NFL. The Steelers are losing two starters from their offensive line in 2012 in Willie Colon and Max Starks as well as back-up lineman Doug Legursky who is currently a free agent.

Currently the Steelers have only looked at one prospect who is expected to go in the first round of the draft when they met with outside linebacker Jarvis Jones. They still have fourteen more visits at their disposal before the 2013 NFL Draft at the end of this month. Below is a list of all of the players they have met with so far this off-season:

Full List of Pre-Draft Visits:

Texas A&M RB Christine Michael
Ohio St. OLB John Simon
Florida State ILB Vince Williams
Georgia OLB Jarvis Jones
Southern Miss OLB Jamie Collins
Rutgers ILB Khaseem Greene
Clemson S Jonathan Meeks
Fresno State S Phillip Thomas
Penn State ILB Michael Mauti
Clemson OLB Malliciah Goodman
TCU WR Josh Boyce
UCLA RB Jonathan Franklin
Nevada S Duke Williams
Syracuse SS Shamarko Thomas
Utah State CB Will Davis
San Diego State OT/OG Nic Embernate

http://network.yardbarker.com/all_sports/article_external/three_more_pre_draft_visitors_for_the_pittsburgh_s teelers_syracuse_ss_shamarko_thomas_utah_state_cb_ will_davis_and_san_diego_state_ot_nic_embernate/13347586

teegre
04-08-2013, 07:03 PM
That's three Aztecs. Nice.

R3: TE Gavin Escobar
R4: CB Leon McFadden
R6: OG/OT Nic Embernate*

*(Khaled Holmes, Joe Madsen are also similar, multi-position players for the depth of the O-line.)

ebsteelers
04-08-2013, 07:27 PM
Plus, posturing.

If Smith is there at 17, and the Steelers have shown interest, it forces teams to trade up with the Steelers, in order to get him.

I would not mind trading back to 33, and acquiring their R3 this year & their R1 next year... because, the Jaguars likely going to have a top ten pick next year.

33 elam
48 moore from a&m
round 3 jags da rick rogers
round 3 steelers bell
skip the rest of the draft cause we just won the super bowl

Hawaii 5-0
04-11-2013, 09:20 PM
James C Wexell ‏@jimwexell:

Sio Moore visiting today. Talked to him at combine. He wore glasses and seriousness reminded me of a Singletary, Kirkland. Great 3rd rd buck

https://twitter.com/jimwexell

Rabbit
04-11-2013, 10:00 PM
I don't think Moore will be around for our third round pick. He's really, really good. Definitely worth a second round investment imo

Hawaii 5-0
04-11-2013, 10:45 PM
I don't think Moore will be around for our third round pick. He's really, really good. Definitely worth a second round investment imo

I agree.

interesting that the Steelers are considering Sio Moore as a buck ILB...