PDA

View Full Version : NFL's greatest play of all time

Buddha Bus
03-23-2013, 11:01 PM
NFL.com is running a poll/bracket for the greatest play in NFL history and the Steelers have the most entries at 5.

1.) The Immaculate Reception
2.) Santonio Holmes' Super Bowl winning TD catch
3.) Lynn Swann's juggling catch
4.) Troy Polamalu flying tackle
5.) Troy Polamalu INT vs. Chargers

VOTE NOW!!!

http://www.nfl.com/bracketology

MACH1
03-23-2013, 11:02 PM
Done

Buddha Bus
03-23-2013, 11:05 PM
Done

Well that was fast! :chuckle:

teegre
03-23-2013, 11:17 PM
Where is James Harrison's 100 yard INT for a TD in XLIII???

Fucking Goodell.

Buddha Bus
03-23-2013, 11:19 PM

Fucking Goodell.

I guess they're using the same excuse as the Hall of Fame. They can't have too many Steelers in. :chuckle:

MACH1
03-23-2013, 11:28 PM
Well that was fast! :chuckle:

Thats what the wif says. :chuckle:

teegre
03-23-2013, 11:47 PM
I guess they're using the same excuse as the Hall of Fame. They can't have too many Steelers in. :chuckle:

That's so true. Alas...

teegre
03-23-2013, 11:48 PM
Thats what the wif says. :chuckle:

An entire minute... what's your secret?

Hawaii 5-0
03-24-2013, 12:21 AM
An entire minute... what's your secret?

to be fair, if you include foreplay it's probably closer to a minute and a half...

teegre
03-24-2013, 12:46 AM
to be fair, if you include foreplay it's probably closer to a minute and a half...

Foreplay: "Hey... the kids are asleep."

MACH1
03-24-2013, 12:55 AM
Been married long enough there no such thing as foreplay it's all business.

Hawaii 5-0
03-24-2013, 01:26 AM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5RaCQq8HZyrSyUM8yeTOsBPRyQ09z9 XcQw2yFEPVPsIVXAIs

OX1947
03-24-2013, 01:36 AM

That's where a Gumar comes in handy.

J/K

maybe

MACH1
03-24-2013, 01:45 AM
:sofunny:

Steeldude
03-24-2013, 02:08 AM
NFL.com is running a poll/bracket for the greatest play in NFL history and the Steelers have the most entries at 5.

2.) Santonio Holmes' Super Bowl winning TD catch
3.) Lynn Swann's juggling catch
4.) Troy Polamalu flying tackle
5.) Troy Polamalu INT vs. Chargers

VOTE NOW!!!

Too easy. Lynn Swann's catch is the greatest play out of that list.

Holmes' play was the least. It was very routine.

Blackout
03-24-2013, 02:19 AM
That Troy INT was pretty amazing.

White_Steel_Wolfe
03-24-2013, 02:50 AM

Fucking Goodell.

It was beaten by the music city miracle:noidea:

ricardisimo
03-24-2013, 03:21 AM
I'm checking all the right boxes, but how the hell do you submit your selections?

Edit: Wait... do I have to register with NFL.com?

Galax Steeler
03-24-2013, 05:18 AM
I have to go with the The Immaculate Reception to me that was the greatest play.

Buddha Bus
03-24-2013, 06:27 AM
I have to go with the The Immaculate Reception to me that was the greatest play.

This. I think that play is too iconic to not win. Troy's INT is amazing though, but as far as recognition, improbability, timing, incredibleness, and situation the Immaculate Reception will be hard to beat.

I also have to think that any play that received a name to go along with it (The Immaculate Reception, The Catch, The Music City Miracle, etc.) is probably going to have an advantage over something like "Troy Polamalu INT vs. Chargers".

jb500ex
03-24-2013, 06:45 AM

Steelers don't have the most hall of famers

Buddha Bus
03-24-2013, 06:50 AM
Steelers don't have the most hall of famers

I never said they did. :noidea:

Galax Steeler
03-24-2013, 06:53 AM
I never said they did. :noidea:

I was thinking the samething:chuckle:

NSMaster56
03-24-2013, 11:42 AM
Harrison's INT and Big Ben's shoestring tackle could also make a claim to be on that list.

That said, any doubt that the Immaculate Reception is THE greatest play of all time? Only 'The Catch' and the final play of the Ice Bowl could compete with it, right?

EDIT: In fact, the Bettis fumble+Big Ben tackle might be the greatest 'play' second only to Franco's catch. Considering that it all happened on a single 'play', the chaotic nature of it all, and that it saved a miracle Championship run for the Steelers, that 'play' was arguably more 'memorable' than anything Troy has ever done.

JackH
03-24-2013, 12:22 PM
Harrison's INT and Big Ben's shoestring tackle could also make a claim to be on that list.

That said, any doubt that the Immaculate Reception is THE greatest play of all time? Only 'The Catch' and the final play of the Ice Bowl could compete with it, right?

EDIT: In fact, the Bettis fumble+Big Ben tackle might be the greatest 'play' second only to Franco's catch. Considering that it all happened on a single 'play', the chaotic nature of it all, and that it saved a miracle Championship run for the Steelers, that 'play' was arguably more 'memorable' than anything Troy has ever done.

hat said, any doubt that the Immaculate Reception is THE greatest play of all time? Only 'The Catch' and the final play of the Ice Bowl could compete with it, right?

EDIT: In fact, the Bettis fumble+Big Ben tackle might be the greatest 'play' second only to Franco's catch. Considering that it all happened on a single 'play', the chaotic nature of it all, and that it saved a miracle Championship run for the Steelers, that 'play' was arguably more 'memorable' than anything Troy has ever done.[/QUOTE]

hat said, any doubt that the Immaculate Reception is THE greatest play of all time? Only 'The Catch' and the final play of the Ice Bowl could compete with it, right?

EDIT: In fact, the Bettis fumble+Big Ben tackle might be the greatest 'play' second only to Franco's catch. Considering that it all happened on a single 'play', the chaotic nature of it all, and that it saved a miracle Championship run for the Steelers, that 'play' was arguably more 'memorable' than anything Troy has ever done.[/QUOTE]

That's a great thought, the Big Ben tackle.

I mean, I love the Immaculate Reception, but it didn't lead to any bling, baby. I just watched that one-hour program on the Immaculate Reception again on the NFL NW the other night.

I need to see the Big Ben tackle, Santonio's and Swann's catches, and Troy's plays again and again, and in slow motion, before I might up my mind.

And what about SB X when Jack Lambert dwarf-tossed Cowboys DB Cliff Harris because he was messing with our kicker Roy Gerela? That kind of set the tone for the rest of the game and a Steelers victory.

harrison'samonster
03-24-2013, 12:47 PM
i saw Ben's tackle recently for the first time in years. I'll be honest, I wasn't around for the Immaculate Reception so I can't imagine what it's like re-living it, but seeing that tackle again was like getting knocked to the ground.

VaDave
03-25-2013, 07:23 AM

Or if you are married a REALLY long time there is no for or play........

VaDave
03-25-2013, 07:47 AM
My favorite NFL play was not a Steeler play. It involved Ozzie Newsome in Cleveland where he stretched out for a pass, caught it, then skidded a good 15 yards through the mud and slop on his stomach, with the mud and water blowing into his face.

It was a classic NFL moment long forgotten in this day of ProTurf and Domes.........

Other plays:

The Ice Bowl, everybody new that the Packers were going to punch it in, if not that play, one the next one for sure. Yawn....

Immaculate Reception while certainly entertaining, was not a product of fine football play, but by snatching victory from the jaws of defeat with the heads up play of one player. Keep in mind, the only reason Franco makes this play, is because the other 10 players weren't doing their job.

Swan's catch in Super bowl 10 was a study in concentration, it to was fixing a mistake. IMO, the sideline catch ( his first of the game) was much more impressive, as the play actually was executed as drawn up.

Ben's tackle in the AFCCG in Indy, while is one of the best plays , if not one of the more critical plays in Steeler history, while a personal favorite of mine, was again, a fix of a botched play.

Harrison's TD return or Holmes's TD catch were two plays that were plays that were both executed properly, but with max effort by all 11 players.

While there is a certain amount of fascination with calamity creating positive results, I much prefer proper execution when assigning a value to a great play. Which I give 1 and 1a nods to Harrison, and Holmes's SuperBowl plays, in order of choosing if you favor defense or offense.

Twentyvalve
03-25-2013, 09:23 AM
I think many are forgetting the timing of such a play is important. If an incredible play happens in game two of the season during the first quarter on a 2 and 5 then it is no big deal. If the play happens on the winning drive of a SB as the clock winds down, or to reverse the score, ends up being the pivotal moment of a playoff game, then it has much more impact and becomes even more memorable.

I think the Steelers have many of those moments. I would argue more than most other teams.

Bill Cowher's Jaw
03-25-2013, 04:59 PM
I voted for all the Steelers plays except in the 2nd round I went with Randall Cunningham's crazy TD pass against the Bills over Swann's SBX catch. Swann's catch has gotten more than enough recognition...and I love that Cunningham play.

bornaSteelersfan
03-26-2013, 06:13 AM
I voted for all the Steelers plays except in the 2nd round I went with Randall Cunningham's crazy TD pass against the Bills over Swann's SBX catch. Swann's catch has gotten more than enough recognition...and I love that Cunningham play.

Swann's catch helped propel The Steelers to win that game. I was there on that windy and cold (for Miami) day watching it happen. Two weeks before, Swann suffered a concussion and was in a hospital bed for 2 days. No one knew if Swann was going to play on the morning of the Super Bowl. That play proved he was ready. Swann won the MVP.

Buddha Bus
03-27-2013, 02:57 PM
Round 3 has started! Still 4 Steelers plays left in the hunt. Holmes' Super Bowl catch was eliminated in round 2.

VOTE NOW!

teegre
03-27-2013, 03:21 PM
Round 3 has started! Still 4 Steelers plays left in the hunt. Holmes' Super Bowl catch was eliminated in round 2.

VOTE NOW!

Seriously!?! On the NFL Network, they were discussing about how it was one fo the best plays ever... because, it sealed a SuperBowl victory.

What knocked that play out???

Blacksburg Zach
03-27-2013, 03:40 PM
Seriously!?! On the NFL Network, they were discussing about how it was one fo the best plays ever... because, it sealed a SuperBowl victory.

According to the NFL.com bracket, the play that knocked out the Santonio catch was a play in which Walter Payton broke a bunch of tackles against the Chiefs.

Buddha Bus
03-27-2013, 03:44 PM

"Walter Payton breaks tackles vs. Chiefs".

It was pretty sweet.

Blacksburg Zach
03-27-2013, 03:50 PM
"Walter Payton breaks tackles vs. Chiefs".

It was pretty sweet.

Sure, it was a good play and all, but the Santonio Holmes catch was better. Not only was it one of the greatest catches of all time, but it was a game winning touchdown catch in the Super Bowl that also secured MVP honors for Holmes. Payton's play came in a regular season game against the Chiefs, and he didn't even score a touchdown on that play. I think Walter Payton breaking those tackles was a good play, but it just doesn't compare to the Holmes Super Bowl Catch in my opinion, and I am shocked that the Holmes catch lost. In any case, all I can do now is vote for the remaining Steelers plays and hope for the best.

Buddha Bus
03-27-2013, 04:18 PM
Sure, it was a good play and all, but the Santonio Holmes catch was better. Not only was it one of the greatest catches of all time, but it was a game winning touchdown catch in the Super Bowl that also secured MVP honors for Holmes. Payton's play came in a regular season game against the Chiefs, and he didn't even score a touchdown on that play. I think Walter Payton breaking those tackles was a good play, but it just doesn't compare to the Holmes Super Bowl Catch in my opinion, and I am shocked that the Holmes catch lost. In any case, all I can do now is vote for the remaining Steelers plays and hope for the best.

Can't say I argue with you. I blame Goodell.

teegre
03-27-2013, 04:24 PM

I concur.
As the adage goes: "Say it out loud."

In one hand, we have: "SuperBowl game-winning TD catch, in the corner of the end-zone, with the tips of the WR's toes just barely getting in!!!"

In the other hand, we have: "A really nice run during the regular season."

As BuddhaBus alluded to: I smell Goodell all over this one.

SteelPride1207
03-27-2013, 06:28 PM
Anything that doesn't have James Harrison's 100 yard INT return that completely took the momentum away from the Cardinals while help building a much needed lead to start the second half....is a terribly incomplete list in my opinion.

Buddha Bus
03-27-2013, 07:05 PM
Anything that doesn't have James Harrison's 100 yard INT return that completely took the momentum away from the Cardinals while help building a much needed lead to start the second half....is a terribly incomplete list in my opinion.

It lost in the first round to The Music City Miracle.

ricardisimo
03-28-2013, 08:03 AM
I'm still not seeing how one is supposed to submit their vote? I think Diebold is running this election. George Bush is going to win again.

Stu Pidasso
03-28-2013, 01:16 PM
So how the hell do you "submit" the votes?

Buddha Bus
03-28-2013, 01:22 PM
I'm still not seeing how one is supposed to submit their vote? I think Diebold is running this election. George Bush is going to win again.

So how the hell do you "submit" the votes?

The site is actually a facade that I created. Once you click to "vote" for a play, I get unfettered access to all of your computer's personal information about you and I steal your identities.

Thanks, suckers!! :peace:

Just kidding. Please do not send the F.B.I. to my house. :sofunny:

Stu Pidasso
03-28-2013, 01:29 PM
Enjoy the self pics of my ass.

Buddha Bus
03-28-2013, 01:35 PM
Enjoy the self pics of my ass.

I thought those were pics of 2 dirty, wallowing pigs playing tug-of-war over a chocolate covered donut?!? :puke:

Stu Pidasso
03-28-2013, 02:01 PM
That's exactly what it was. Try the other folder. It's worse.

Hawaii 5-0
03-28-2013, 02:49 PM
That's exactly what it was. Try the other folder. It's worse.

I know those were of your penis, but it was hard to make it out in those pics...:chuckle:

Buddha Bus
03-28-2013, 02:52 PM
I know those were of your penis, but it was hard to make it out in those pics...:chuckle:

Where's the Hubble Space Telescope when you need it? :noidea:

cowherpower
03-28-2013, 04:14 PM
While many plays may get more coverage and have over the years gained almost mythical status, James Harrison's Int return for a TD is THE biggest play in NFL history. To me, for a play to truly be historic, it needs to happen in a Super Bowl for one...have a direct impact on the outcome of the game two...and be one of skill not luck. The reason I grade that above Holmes catch is because there was still time left after that catch if they needed to run another play, and, they missed an open pass the play before. So it was pretty clear that Holmes was getting open and Ben could get it to him. Not taking anything away from that play. It along with Tyree and Manningham catches are amazing and should be top 5. BUT.

Harrison, a LB, had to not only make an incredible mental play by breaking on that ball, he then had to run 100 yards, at 255lbs, with 11 other guys trying to catch him. It's the longest INT return for a TD in SB history. If he doesn't make that play, at worst ARI will get a FG, possibly a TD. The momentum would be with them and I honestly believe we lose that game. To top it all off, he did this as time expired. Truly was imho the single greatest play ever. Absolutely no room for error on his break, on the run back, on the time remaining. I was so downtrodden sitting on my couch watching this. When he catches it and as he is returning it I jumped off the couch, threw out my back and was on my hands and knees screaming. How many plays can elicit that kind of reaction?

teegre
03-28-2013, 06:15 PM
While many plays may get more coverage and have over the years gained almost mythical status, James Harrison's Int return for a TD is THE biggest play in NFL history. To me, for a play to truly be historic, it needs to happen in a Super Bowl for one...have a direct impact on the outcome of the game two...and be one of skill not luck. The reason I grade that above Holmes catch is because there was still time left after that catch if they needed to run another play, and, they missed an open pass the play before. So it was pretty clear that Holmes was getting open and Ben could get it to him. Not taking anything away from that play. It along with Tyree and Manningham catches are amazing and should be top 5. BUT.

Harrison, a LB, had to not only make an incredible mental play by breaking on that ball, he then had to run 100 yards, at 255lbs, with 11 other guys trying to catch him. It's the longest INT return for a TD in SB history. If he doesn't make that play, at worst ARI will get a FG, possibly a TD. The momentum would be with them and I honestly believe we lose that game. To top it all off, he did this as time expired. Truly was imho the single greatest play ever. Absolutely no room for error on his break, on the run back, on the time remaining. I was so downtrodden sitting on my couch watching this. When he catches it and as he is returning it I jumped off the couch, threw out my back and was on my hands and knees screaming. How many plays can elicit that kind of reaction?

I remember passing out (after cheering for the full 15 seconds it took for that play to happen).

And, I agree 100%.

Buddha Bus
03-30-2013, 11:27 AM
Round 4 has started. Only 2 Steelers plays remaining and the bastards have them facing off against each other.

2.) Troy Polamalu's flying tackle

VOTE NOW!

Blacksburg Zach
03-30-2013, 11:33 AM
Round 4 has started. Only 2 Steelers plays remaining and the bastards have them facing off against each other.

2.) Troy Polamalu's flying tackle

VOTE NOW!

2 Steelers plays left and they have to face each other? Damn you, Goodell!

Blacksburg Zach
04-03-2013, 10:06 PM
Only one Steelers play remains, and that is Troy Polamalu's flying tackle against the Titans, which pulled the upset against the Immaculate Reception. It faces off against DeSean Jackson's walk-off punt return TD against the Giants in the semifinals, which upset the Catch.

VOTE NOW!

Stu Pidasso
04-03-2013, 10:16 PM
Okay, this is the last time I'm going to ask:

HOW IN THE F(&%#(& DO YOU SUBMIT THE GOD(%&$)&* VOTES?!?!?

SteelersCanada
04-03-2013, 10:19 PM
How did that beat the Immaculate Reception?

Blacksburg Zach
04-03-2013, 10:24 PM

I blame John Madden and Roger Goodell.

bornaSteelersfan
04-03-2013, 11:48 PM
The whole thing is messed up. The first day of voting in the final four, Steve Young's run already had over 2 million votes. Something stinks. It's stupid.

ricardisimo
04-04-2013, 03:26 AM
Okay, this is the last time I'm going to ask:

HOW IN THE F(&%#(& DO YOU SUBMIT THE GOD(%&$)&* VOTES?!?!?
I don't think it matters any longer. Three of the top four plays should have been Steelers plays, but no.

Buddha Bus
04-04-2013, 03:31 AM

Agreed. I'm not pimping (anymore) any NFL's greatest play poll that doesn't include The Immaculate Reception in the finals. Makes no sense because that is one of the most iconic plays in the league's history. Dumfounding.

Galax Steeler
04-04-2013, 03:33 AM
Agreed. I'm not pimping (anymore) any NFL's greatest play poll that doesn't include The Immaculate Reception in the finals. Makes no sense because that is one of the most iconic plays in the league's history. Dumfounding.

It has to be rigged The Reception was the play of all time.:banging:

Blacksburg Zach
04-04-2013, 07:53 AM

Remember, this is the same website that declared the 1976 Raiders the best team of all time, with the 2000 Ravens as the second best team, over teams such as the '85 Bears, the '84 and '89 49ers, the Steelers of the 70s, and many other superior teams. I would not take this greatest play off all time bracket seriously, just as I would not take the greatest teams of all time bracket seriously.

http://www.nfl.com/features/bracketology/alltimeteams?round=6

SteelersCanada
04-04-2013, 09:59 AM
Remember, this is the same website that declared the 1976 Raiders the best team of all time, with the 2000 Ravens as the second best team, over teams such as the '85 Bears, the '84 and '89 49ers, the Steelers of the 70s, and many other superior teams. I would not take this greatest play off all time bracket seriously, just as I would not take the greatest teams of all time bracket seriously.

http://www.nfl.com/features/bracketology/alltimeteams?round=6

That's a travesty. The 76 Raiders weren't even the best team in the 70's, let alone all time. What a joke.

Blacksburg Zach
04-04-2013, 10:49 AM
That's a travesty. The 76 Raiders weren't even the best team in the 70's, let alone all time. What a joke.

Exactly. That's why I don't take these brackets seriously.