PDA

View Full Version : Mid round WR prospects that have value for Steelers

Hawaii 5-0
03-24-2013, 07:15 PM
2013 NFL Draft: Mid round wide receiver prospects have value

By seton hall and steelers on Mar 17 2013

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/9905481/157275721.0_standard_500.0.jpg

With Mike Wallace already gone and Emmanuel Sanders supposedly mulling an offer from the Patriots that the Steelers may not be able to match, it is very likely the Steelers will be looking for at least one wide receiver in this draft. While the draft lacks elite talent at wide receiver, it is filled with plenty of talent in the mid rounds. Here is a look at a few of those options.

Regardless of the outcome of the Emmanuel Sanders situation, it's likely the Steelers will be looking to add a receiver in the 2013 NFL Draft.

The top receivers have been mentioned previously, but it's a solid mid-round draft for receivers as well.

Second Round Options

Markus Wheaton, Oregon State - Wheaton is a 6-foot-1 receiver who has good speed and great hands. He runs crisp routes and dominated the Pac-12 in his last year of college, totalling over 90 receptions and over 1100 yards and 11 touchdowns. He would be a great compliment to Antonio Brown.

Quinton Patton, Louisiana Tech - Patton, at 6-foot-0, 205 pounds is a big bodied receiver with above average speed. He is great as a blocker, runs good routes, and rarely drops anything. He is very shifty, can make people miss in the open field, and is great at adjusting to poorly thrown balls.

Robert Woods, USC - Woods is built similarly to Patton at 6-foot-0, 201 pounds. He is the best route runner in the draft and almost never drops anything. He ran a 4.51 forty-yard dash so he has good speed. He had a tough junior year because of Matt Barkley's struggles but he still has a great future. The Steelers have shown plenty of interest in him and he seems like a great option.

Third Round Options

Stedman Bailey, West Virginia - Bailey is a small receiver at just 5-foot-10 but he runs incredible routes and has great hands. He is tough to bring down in the open field and plays much bigger than he is. He won't wow you with break away speed but he would get the job done. However, he is built like another Antonio Brown and the Steelers may not need another small, shifty receiver.

Cobi Hamilton, Arkansas - Hamilton, at 6-foot-2, 212 pounds, is a big wide receiver with good speed as well. He had a great year at Arkansas this year, with his biggest game being against Rutgers and second round draft prospect Logan Ryan. He is physical and is a good route runner and would excel on the outside where he can use his size to his advantage.

Ryan Swope, Texas A&M - Swope, at 6-foot-0, has blazing speed, running an official 4.34 40. He is a phenomenal route runner and has great hands. He is great at selling his routes and knows how to play the game. He is not an elite level athlete as a leaper but he could get the job done as an outside receiver.

Fourth Round Options

Marquise Goodwin, Texas - Goodwin is a small, shifty, blazing fast wide receiver who nearly broke Chris Johnson's forty yard dash record running a 4.27. However, he is not much of a football player and more of just a track star.

Aaron Mellette, Elon - Mellete is a big receiver at 6-foot-2, 217 pounds. He has decent speed and has good hands. He runs good routes and has great body control as well. He is not going to blow you away with blazing speed but he can break a big play off every once in a while.

Kenny Stills, Oklahoma - Stills is 6-foot-0, 194 pounds with unreal speed, running a sub 4.4 40. He has good hands and is very flexible and can adjust to poorly thrown balls. However, he is not very physical and his durability may be a concern.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/3/17/4112278/mid-round-wide-receiver-prospects/in/3638851

pczach
03-24-2013, 08:26 PM
Let's not forget that there's a chance 1 or 2 receivers rated as 1st round talents that you didn't list here could still be available in the second round.

cbrunn
03-24-2013, 08:36 PM
I think Patton is a 1st round talent ... and to get him in the 2nd would be an absolute steal ... he is going to be a stud in the NFL

I wouldn't touch anybody after round 3 ... unless somebody falls, which most likely will happen ...

Hawaii 5-0
03-24-2013, 08:53 PM
Let's not forget that there's a chance 1 or 2 receivers rated as 1st round talents that you didn't list here could still be available in the second round.

yes, I would love to see DeAndre Hopkins from Clemson or Justin Hunter from Tennessee there in the 2nd round when we pick.

PhantomJB93
03-24-2013, 10:29 PM
Again, I'm a biased Virginia Tech fan, but Corey Fuller is a guy that could be had in round 5 with great Brown-esque potential. 6'2, runs a 4.4 40, hard/dedicated worker, only really got one solid year of football at the college level but was our most consistent receiver and always came up with the clutch catch. If you watched the Virginia Tech offense this year you know how horrible the playcalling and QB play was, it's a minor miracle he was even able to produce as much as he did.

Hawaii 5-0
03-27-2013, 07:22 PM
Pro Days: Barkley gets passing grade, but others steal the show

By Rob Rang | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com
March 27, 2013

LOS ANGELES -- For Matt Barkley, who surprised many with his decision to spurn the NFL and return to Southern Cal for his senior season in 2012, Wednesday's Pro Day was an acceptable culmination for his college career.

Displaying the accuracy in drills showed during 47 career starts with the Trojans, Barkley solidified his first round stock with a strong workout in front of an estimated 60 NFL scouts and coaches.

Barkley completed his passes to fellow 2013 hopefuls Robert Woods and running back Curtis McNeal, as well as former USC wideout Tavon Patterson and tight end Dominique Byrd.

Barkley wasn't dynamic. Several of his deeper passes wobbled and he forced wideouts to adjust their routes a few times on in-breaking routes. However, the first part of his passing workout was into a slight wind.

Barkley's workout wasn't as good as the one Andrew Luck had a year ago in Palo Alto, some of which was into a stiff breeze. He didn't show the elite combination of velocity and ball placement that Sam Bradford demonstrated inside the Oklahoma practice bubble in 2010.

The Southern Cal passer, however, carried out quarterback guru Chris Weinke's scripted session with efficiency and impressive accuracy, overall. The workout was comparable to recent sessions by Jake Locker and Mark Sanchez, each of whom rode their showings to top-eight selections in their respective draft classes.

Barkley's passing was the critical element to his day but he also boosted his cause by clocking between 4.92 and 4.97-seconds in the 40-yard dash at a solid 230 pounds. The 40-yard dash was the only measured drill Barkley participated in.

That wasn't the case for his primary target, Robert Woods, who shaved nearly a tenth-of-a-second off the 4.47-second 20-yard shuttle drill he'd run at the combine with a time of 4.38 seconds. He was even better in the three-cone drill, where he was timed as fast as 6.84 seconds after being clocked at a disappointing 7.15 seconds in the drill in Indianapolis.

As impressive as Woods was in timed drills, he was even better during the positional drills, exploding out of his breaks and catching nearly every pass thrown to him, including a dazzling one-handed catch deep down the right sideline.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/b...steal-the-show

pczach
03-28-2013, 05:55 AM
I watched the highlights of his pro day on NFL Network. He was very impressive. He was able to adjust to any throw, and made that one terrific catch down the sideline. He looked very quick, ran crisp routes, and showed great hands. He's obviously talented.

VaDave
03-28-2013, 06:33 AM
I think Patton is a 1st round talent ... and to get him in the 2nd would be an absolute steal ... he is going to be a stud in the NFL

... unless somebody falls, which most likely will happen ...

That's not saying much about the lower class. Players have enough trouble with the grass at Heinz.......

zshelhamer
03-28-2013, 10:38 AM

Someone like a Limas Sweed? :chuckle:

Hawaii 5-0
03-30-2013, 03:36 PM
Extra Points: Athleticism has Louisiana Tech's Patton turning heads

Published March 27, 2013
Sports Network

Philadelphia, PA If football were played in shorts and an Under Armour compression shirt, Louisiana Tech wide receiver Quinton Patton would be making plans to be in Times Square on April 25 as a surefire first- round pick in the NFL Draft.

Pads remain in the equation, however, and "The General" still needs to rise above knocks on his hands, along with his versatility and the level of competition he played against on the college level.

Although Patton is part of a deep class of receivers, he seems to have settled in as one of the better prospects after the "big three," Tennessee's Cordarrelle Patterson, Cal's Keenan Allen and West Virginia slot star Tavon Austin.

The 6-foot, 202-pound Patton certainly has the physical gifts of a first- rounder, running a 4.43-second 40-yard dash and impressing with a 37-inch vertical leap at his pro day earlier this week.

"The expectation was to come in and compete, and I did a little better than my (NFL Scouting) Combine numbers," Patton told the Shreveport Times after his workout.

Patton has slowly climbed most draft boards, passing every test since the college season ended. He had a solid week of practice at the Senior Bowl, a strong combine showing and has now erased doubts about his speed to stretch the field.

"I don't say surprised," Patton said when asked about sneaking up on people as a top-tier prospect. "Came a little bit under the radar. But that's what I like. Turning people's heads."

Patton's short-area quickness is impressive and he'll arrive in the NFL as an above-average route runner with solid ball skills. On the other hand, he needs to become more consistent catching the ball and blocking down the field.

"Like every (receiver), I can still catch the ball better. "I will say that I'm not the best blocker," Patton said. "But at the end of the day, I just make plays. No matter what it is doing, I'm going to give 110 percent every down, every minute of the game."

He balked, however, at the versatility concerns stemming from the way he was used formationally by the Bulldogs, only lining up outside the numbers to the right.

"The offense was so potent I didn't have to change positions," Patton explained. "In junior college (Coffeyville Community College in Kansas), I always played the slot receiver, to the left and to the right. At Louisiana Tech for some reason, I just played outside to the right. So I had the best of both worlds."

Meanwhile, the jump from Louisiana Tech to the NFL is certainly a significant one, but Patton isn't concerned and can point to a ridiculous 21-catch, four- touchdown performance against Texas A&M, one of the top college teams in the country last year, as evidence he belongs.

"I can play with the best of them," Patton said. "Everybody says I got the exposure off the Texas A&M game, but last year I played against of the best defensive backs in the draft. I really don't care what people say. I'm just a ballplayer."

Asked to compare his game with an accomplished NFL player, Patton came up with the name Chad Johnson.

"I watch all of them. Mostly all the big names. But my favorite one is Chad Johnson, not Chad Ochocinco," Patton said. "He was just so smooth coming out of his routes and breaks. For a period of time, he would catch anything and everything thrown his way."

Interestingly enough Johnson, a six-time Pro Bowl selection with Cincinnati, might even foreshadow where Patton eventually lands in the upcoming draft. Chad was a second-rounder, taken 36th overall by the Bengals in the 2001 NFL Draft,

Right now Patton looks locked in with Clemson's DeAndre Hopkins and Southern Cal's Robert Woods as receivers in the mix to be late first-round picks or early second-round selections.

Patton already has had personal visits with nearly a dozen NFL teams and the NFC champion San Francisco 49ers thought enough of him that they took him out to dinner on Wednesday night after he was done impressing scouts in Ruston, La.

"It gives me the utmost confidence," Patton said of all the attention. "I'm a confident person, confident in my abilities that God has given me."

THE 2013 NFL DRAFT: TSN'S TOP WIDE RECEIVERS

1. - Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee
2. - Tavon Austin, West Virginia
3. - Keenan Allen, California
4. - Robert Woods, Southern California
5. - Quinton Patton, Louisiana Tech
6. - DeAndre Hopkins, Clemson
7. - Terrance Williams, Baylor
8. - Aaron Dobson, Marshall
9. - Markus Wheaton, Oregon State
10. - Justin Hunter, Tennessee

SKILL REPORT: THE WIDE RECEIVERS

Best Route Runner: Robert Woods, Southern California
Fastest: Tavon Austin, West Virginia
Best Hands: DeAndre Hopkins, Clemson
Best Run Blocker: Chris Harper, Kansas State
Underrated: Marcus Davis, Virginia Tech
Biggest Risk: Da'Rick Rogers, Tennessee Tech

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/03/27/extra-points-athleticism-has-louisiana-tech-patton-turning-heads/#ixzz2P38J4SSe

SteelersCanada
03-30-2013, 04:03 PM
Rodney Smith and Marcus Davis are overlooked guys, too.

PhantomJB93
03-30-2013, 11:27 PM
Rodney Smith and Marcus Davis are overlooked guys, too.

http://deadspin.com/5959914/virginia-tech-receiver-marcus-davis-doesnt-feel-like-blocking-ever

The guy's a physical freak but he is another Mike Wallace.

Rabbit
03-30-2013, 11:35 PM
Yeah, Marcus Davis has serious attitude problems and got benched last year for performance. He and Rodney Smith are both guys who have physical talent, but either never produced much, were headcases, or both. I don't see either going until round 6 or 7.