PDA

View Full Version : Plaxico Burress has his drivers license suspended

bornaSteelersfan
03-26-2013, 06:55 AM
http://www.yardbarker.com/media/4/5/45a41045e0af8b5fd2525df346984ce736937649/xl/plaxico.jpg

Via Pro Football Zone:

According to TMZ, Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Plaxico Burress had his drivers license suspended after failing to pay a six-figure judgement to a car crash victim.

Here’s why … as TMZ previously reported, a woman named Alise Smith sued Plaxico, claiming he caused a car crash that injured her. She won, and he was ordered to pay $125,000 in damages.

According to Alise, Plax never paid (he tried appealing) … so her lawyer, James Dunn, fired off a letter to the FL DMV requesting that his license be suspended — yeah they can do that — and the DMV made it happen. To get it back Plax must pay the judgment OR challenge the DMV’s actions.

This is unfortunate for Burress since he just signed a one-year deal with the Steelers. He better get things worked out before its time for him to report to their offseason work out program.

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/msn/plaxico_burress_has_his_drivers_license_suspended/13229653?ocid=ansfox11

pete74
03-26-2013, 07:10 AM
How the hell does a person end up having to pay $125,000 for a minor accident were nobody had major injuries. That's insane to me. Another sue happy person taking advantage of our screwed up judicial system

JackH
03-26-2013, 08:06 AM
How the hell does a person end up having to pay $125,000 for a minor accident were nobody had major injuries. That's insane to me. Another sue happy person taking advantage of our screwed up judicial system

So Plax shoots himself in the foot again. He's not exactly the brightest bulb in the lamp. Oh well, he can sell his Ferrari or mansion to pay the judgement. I wonder if he has the same Ferrari he was driving when he got pulled over for doing 125 mph. Maybe the IRS took it because he owed them money too.

My guess would be Plax didn't have auto insurance or didn't have high enough limits to cover the judgement. You would think a person with considerable assets to protect would have high limits of liability. But with Plax you just never know.

pete74
03-26-2013, 08:09 AM
So Plax shoots himself in the foot again. He's not exactly the brightest bulb in the lamp. Oh well, he can sell his Ferrari or mansion to pay the judgement. I wonder if he has the same Ferrari he was driving when he got pulled over for doing 125 mph. Maybe the IRS took it because he owed them money too.

My guess would be Plax didn't have auto insurance or didn't have high enough limits to cover the judgement. You would think a person with considerable assets to protect would have high limits of liability. But with Plax you just never know.

Or the insurance paid for damages and injury and then they filed a lawsuit against Plax claiming emotional distress or some crap. He obviously had insurance because his license would of been taken already if not

ebsteelers
03-26-2013, 08:10 AM

This, something doesnt add up..

I should drive down to baltimore crash into ray rices car, then fall out of the car, roll around and sue for a million bucks :rofl:

pete74
03-26-2013, 08:24 AM

I should drive down to baltimore crash into ray rices car, then fall out of the car, roll around and sue for a million bucks :rofl:

It happens all the time. Hell just go spill a little McDonald's coffee on yourself and you'll be set for life

JackH
03-26-2013, 08:30 AM

Lol. Hey if you or Pete or anybody else want to find out what really happened, and you live anywhere near West Millflin, here's what you should do. There is this insurance agent in West Mifflin named Jim Baker. Go see him and say you are evaluating your auto insurance, and you want to make sure you if you are involved in an accident, you don't want what happened to Plax to happen to you.

And while you are at this Jim Baker's office, maybe he'll show you the "Immaculate Reception" football. And maybe you can even get a pic of you with the ball and post it here. Yep, Jim Baker is the guy who has the ball. According to that "Immaculate Reception" program on NFL NW that was just on again last week, Baker has the ball in his office in a huge vault.

JackH
03-26-2013, 08:33 AM
It happens all the time. Hell just go spill a little McDonald's coffee on yourself and you'll be set for life

Or get a salad at McDonalds with a rat in it like Todd Haley's wife did. That one was apparently settled for million or so, although the exact amount was never disclosed.

pete74
03-26-2013, 08:41 AM
Lol. Hey if you or Pete or anybody else want to find out what really happened, and you live anywhere near West Millflin, here's what you should do. There is this insurance agent in West Mifflin named Jim Baker. Go see him and say you are evaluating your auto insurance, and you want to make sure you if you are involved in an accident, you don't want what happened to Plax to happen to you.

And while you are at this Jim Baker's office, maybe he'll show you the "Immaculate Reception" football. And maybe you can even get a pic of you with the ball and post it here. Yep, Jim Baker is the guy who has the ball. According to that "Immaculate Reception" program on NFL NW that was just on again last week, Baker has the ball in his office in a huge vault.

Never knew that. I'm not far from there and I actually go past West Mifflin often. I wonder if he would sell the ball. I'm not big on collecting things like that but I would love to have the ball from the greatest play in NFL history

pete74
03-26-2013, 08:43 AM
Or get a salad at McDonalds with a rat in it like Todd Haley's wife did. That one was apparently settled for million or so, although the exact amount was never disclosed.

For a couple million I would eat a live rat and all her offspring. I could only wish I could get lucky enough to find a rat in my salad and end up with a payday like that

JackH
03-26-2013, 08:49 AM
For a couple million I would eat a live rat and all her offspring. I could only wish I could get lucky enough to find a rat in my salad and end up with a payday like that

Well there's your plan then, Pete, eat a rat salad, sue successfully for a million bucks, and use the million bucks to buy that ball, because that's what I think Baker wants for it.

fansince'76
03-26-2013, 08:52 AM

What exactly has Burress done up to now to deserve any benefit of the doubt?

The_Joker
03-26-2013, 08:59 AM

What has he done to be doubted? Sorry, the gun thing wasn't immoral, even though everyone here likes to think of it as.

harrison'samonster
03-26-2013, 09:11 AM

:rofl: For that kind of money, I would definitely consider it.

As for the gun thing with Plax, it was stupid. With the kind of career he had going he should have a body guard if he's worried about safety. No reason to have a pistol in your sweat pants.

FanSince72
03-26-2013, 09:13 AM
What has he done to be doubted? Sorry, the gun thing wasn't immoral, even though everyone here likes to think of it as.

Agreed.

The gun thing was more about stupidity than anything else.

Raise your hand if you've NEVER done anything stupid.

(Yep, that's what I figured)

Moving on...

As for being caught doing 125 mph... well... I get a lead foot myself from time to time and I enjoy driving fast and I've cracked 100 on several occasions so does that qualify me as some sort of social pariah? In my opinion, this woman saw a payday and Plax reacted as any of us would by dragging his feet as long as he could because he thought the whole thing was unfair and now her lawyer has decided to up the ante.

Let's face it, If Plax was just some schmuck from nowhere, that "settlement" would probably never have happened and we'd never have heard about it.

Oh and I also make it a point not put too much stock in anything TMZ has to say.

pete74
03-26-2013, 09:34 AM

Personally I don't even like Plex. I don't hate him either because Iddon't know anything about him except for what certain writers feel would make a good story line. LookiI care about him is whether he can help the team or not.

As for the accident, I had two in my life that were my fault but I never got sued for a hundred grand because I'm not rich and famous. I just can't stand what i consider frivolous law suits. I hate people who sue just to get money when in reality they have no injuries or damage.

As for his gun charge, that was stupid. I periodically carry a pistol the but I have a permit. The speeding thing is just a young man being a young man. You give me a Ferrari I'm going to have to wind it out myself

JackH
03-26-2013, 09:41 AM

I don't think the gun thing was immoral. It was, however, a felony in New York, for which Plax went to prison. The gun laws in New York are real strict. I've carried a concealed weapon in places where it is illegal, for example on school property. I don't consider that to be immoral, the reason being that if somebody ever opened fire at one of my daughter's high school basketball game, somebody would be shooting back.

That auto accident Plax had we are talking about today happened way back in 2008. Maybe Plax has wised up. Is there anything recent he has done where one would question his judgement?

The_Joker
03-26-2013, 09:50 AM
Exactly. Leave Plaxico alone.

JackH
03-26-2013, 10:07 AM
Exactly. Leave Plaxico alone.

Unfortunately for Plax, that's not likely to happen. Comes with the territory of being a professional athlete and making big bucks.

Same with Ben. That stuff will always be brought up, especially by Ravens fans who conveniently misremember the Ray Lewis story. Nothing like proof has ever surfaced that Ben ever did anything illegal with respect to certain young ladies. I'm not sure that some of you haven't done what Ben did. You know, go somewhere where hot drunk chicks hang out with immoral intentions in mind. I know I have, in a previous life.

And nobody is soon to forget Manti Te'o's fake girlfriend. Nobody cares about my fake girlfriends, not even the rubber life-size ones.

TheVet
03-26-2013, 03:18 PM
Never knew that. I'm not far from there and I actually go past West Mifflin often. I wonder if he would sell the ball. I'm not big on collecting things like that but I would love to have the ball from the greatest play in NFL history

Sounds like a plan! Can we all watch?

:drink:

Riddle_Of_Steel
03-27-2013, 12:02 AM
I don't think the gun thing was immoral. It was, however, a felony in New York, for which Plax went to prison. The gun laws in New York are real strict. I've carried a concealed weapon in places where it is illegal, for example on school property. I don't consider that to be immoral, the reason being that if somebody ever opened fire at one of my daughter's high school basketball game, somebody would be shooting back.

It wasn't immoral-- it was just plain stupid and typical of the thug mentality possessed by a majority of the NFL players. It demonstrates a complete lapse in judgement.

That auto accident Plax had we are talking about today happened way back in 2008. Maybe Plax has wised up. Is there anything recent he has done where one would question his judgement?

Not paying the insurance settlement he was orderd to pay by the DMV?

JackH
03-27-2013, 08:11 AM
Not paying the insurance settlement he was orderd to pay by the DMV?

I dunno, I owe the IRS money and the check isn't in the mail yet.

Too bad the guy who got O.J. off is dead or Plax could hire him to beat this one.

Steelers>NFL
03-27-2013, 06:32 PM
He is a bonifide dumba$$!!! period!

MeanGee2047
03-28-2013, 01:44 AM
Sigh...hope he takes care of this soon...

Hawaii 5-0
04-01-2013, 10:24 PM
Judge orders Plaxico Burress’ home be auctioned off

April 1, 2013 by Paul Jackiewicz

According to USA Today Sports, a judge has ordered the auction of Plaxico Burress’ Virginia Beach home due to liens against his property that stem from a 2008 traffic incident down in Florida.

Judge H. Thomas Padrick Jr. ordered Monday the property will be sold at auction no more than one week following the fifth advertisement of the sale in the local newspaper, according to court documents emailed to USA TODAY Sports by the lawyer for the plaintiff in the suit.

Burress’ driving license was suspended March 25 and he has not filed any “responsive pleadings” to the latest proceedings.

Per Padrick’s order, the property is valued at $460,000. Burress owes $159,000 to a woman who claims Burress caused her to suffer neck and back injuries when he rear-ended her nearly five years ago. Burress was a member of the New York Giants at the time and, six months later, accidentally shot himself in the leg in a Manhattan night club.

It seems like ever since Burress went to prison for accidentally firing a gun in a New York City night club, his life hasn’t been easy.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/judge_orders_plaxico_burress_home_be_auctioned_off/13288180

jacobo
04-02-2013, 06:47 AM
there's a difference between the mcdonalds examples and this. This is total bullshit, especially since nothing bad happened to her. The amount is insane, does plax even have that kind of dispensable anymore?

BlaZeQuietly
04-02-2013, 10:32 AM
I love Plax lol.

Hawaii 5-0
04-03-2013, 12:36 AM
I love Plax lol.

that is a nice pic of Plax you have in your sig...:thumbsup: